PDA

View Full Version : New Big Sky Logo/new teams added to website

darell1976
July 16th, 2012, 11:41 AM
http://bigskyconf.com/news/2012/7/12/GEN_0712120514.aspx

OGDEN, Utah (July 16, 2012) - The Big Sky Conference unveiled its new logo and branding campaign Monday as part of the league’s Summer Kickoff in Park City, Utah.

For the past year, the Division I Big Sky Conference has been working with SME, Inc., on a rebrand, a process that will continue through 2013-14 when the league celebrates its 50th anniversary, and the 25th anniversary of sponsoring women’s sports. The Big Sky now includes 11 full members in nine states, plus two football affiliate members.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IK1btktZoZE

UND's new Big Sky logo (each team will have the Big Sky logo with their school colors):
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/BigSky.jpg

laxVik
July 16th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Good looking logo imo. A bit MWC looking but I like it.

UNDColorado
July 16th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Overall I am happy with the logo; pleasantly surprised with the unique team logos!

cpalum
July 16th, 2012, 12:46 PM
http://www.gopoly.com/sports/fball/2012-13/CalPolyBSCLogo3.jpg?max_width=450

SF State Gaters
July 16th, 2012, 01:47 PM
A bit MWC looking but I like it.

That might be the point of it i'm thinking... Big Sky replaces the WAC as 3rd in the West unquestionably in 2013

darell1976
July 16th, 2012, 05:36 PM
http://www.gopoly.com/sports/fball/2012-13/CalPolyBSCLogo3.jpg?max_width=450

That looks pretty sharp.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 16th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Good ad and a good looking logo. Nice work BSC.

bojeta
July 17th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I like the logo, but feel the star was a key element in the original logo. I played around with the new design in Ilustrator. Here's a couple version in Cal Poly colors:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/NEWBIGSKYLOGO3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/NEWBIGSKYLOGO2.jpg

Ginsbach
July 17th, 2012, 03:28 PM
http://bigskyconf.com/news/2012/7/12/GEN_0712120514.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IK1btktZoZE

UND's new Big Sky logo (each team will have the Big Sky logo with their school colors):
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/BigSky.jpg

You've got to love the fact that a university located in the heart of a glacial lake plain in some of the flattest country in the world has a logo with a mountain on it.

darell1976
July 17th, 2012, 04:44 PM
You've got to love the fact that a university located in the heart of a glacial lake plain in some of the flattest country in the world has a logo with a mountain on it.

It gets very hilly in ND....too bad its in the southwest part of the state and nowhere near the campus in the northeastern part of the state

Ginsbach
July 17th, 2012, 05:27 PM
It gets very hilly in ND....too bad its in the southwest part of the state and nowhere near the campus in the northeastern part of the state

As a geologist from North Dakota who has done quite a bit of field work in the unglaciated southwestern part of the state, I am very familiar with the topography of North Dakota. The Badlands have nothing on the mountains of the rest of the Big Sky - hell, they aren't even formed by orogenic processes. If you're trying to tell me sedimentary rock eroded by fluvial and eolian processes are equivalent to mountains, I am shocked. This isn't discounting the Badlands by any means. One of my favorite areas I've ever been to is in the Badlands where you can find the petrified Paleocene bald cyprus stumps sitting in-situ on their paleosols. Beautiful. They just aren't mountains by any stretch of the imagination.

Even so, Grand Forks is on the Minnesota border, smack dab in the middle of where glacial Lake Agassiz used to be. I grew up in Hankinson and did my undergrad work at NDSU, so I know all about the Red River "Valley". Dig down a few feet and get into those smectitic clays. Grand Forks sits on an old lake bed and is as flat as it comes.

darell1976
July 17th, 2012, 05:46 PM
As a geologist from North Dakota who has done quite a bit of field work in the unglaciated southwestern part of the state, I am very familiar with the topography of North Dakota. The Badlands have nothing on the mountains of the rest of the Big Sky - hell, they aren't even formed by orogenic processes. If you're trying to tell me sedimentary rock eroded by fluvial and eolian processes are equivalent to mountains, I am shocked. This isn't discounting the Badlands by any means. One of my favorite areas I've ever been to is in the Badlands where you can find the petrified Paleocene bald cyprus stumps sitting in-situ on their paleosols. Beautiful. They just aren't mountains by any stretch of the imagination.

Even so, Grand Forks is on the Minnesota border, smack dab in the middle of where glacial Lake Agassiz used to be. I grew up in Hankinson and did my undergrad work at NDSU, so I know all about the Red River "Valley". Dig down a few feet and get into those smectitic clays. Grand Forks sits on an old lake bed and is as flat as it comes.

To a North Dakotan who has never seen mountains...the Badlands are as mountainous as you can get in this state. But then again NDSU isn't close to the "Missouri" Valley, and Colorado and Utah aren't close to the "Pacific" 12.

bobcathpdevil56
July 17th, 2012, 05:46 PM

Lots of big words. I am from western MT and was always under the belief that there was little to no topography in eastern MT and western ND. But having made a trip to Baker and Dickinson yearly for a while, I was very wrong in that assumption. I really like that area. Maybe not with all the problems Bakken is creating, but the landscape views are pretty amazing.

darell1976
July 17th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Lots of big words. I am from western MT and was always under the belief that there was little to no topography in eastern MT and western ND. But having made a trip to Baker and Dickinson yearly for a while, I was very wrong in that assumption. I really like that area. Maybe not with all the problems Bakken is creating, but the landscape views are pretty amazing.

I drove from Fargo to Rapid City in 07 with my family we took I-94 to Belfield, ND then south to Rapid City, it was all flat farmland from Fargo to Bismarck then when we got close to Dickinson we were amazed at how the elevation increased and there were hills everywhere. It was quite a sight. Driving thoughout the Blackhills of ND and SD was breathtaking.

Ginsbach
July 17th, 2012, 05:51 PM
To a North Dakotan who has never seen mountains...the Badlands are as mountainous as you can get in this state. But then again NDSU isn't close to the "Missouri" Valley, and Colorado and Utah aren't close to the "Pacific" 12.

As a North Dakotan who no longer lives in the state, I think you should travel, see our great country, and get to see actual mountains. :D

There's much more topography there than in eastern ND. I'm glad you enjoyed it - I've spent a lot of time near South Heart. It is gorgeous.

darell1976
July 17th, 2012, 05:55 PM
As a North Dakotan who no longer lives in the state, I think you should travel, see our great country, and get to see actual mountains. :D

There's much more topography there than in eastern ND. I'm glad you enjoyed it - I've spent a lot of time near South Heart. It is gorgeous.

Now that UND is in the BSC and my kids are getting older I could try to get a road game here or there. Missoula, Bozeman, Cheney would be some great road trips, and of course road trips to California would be nice.

No_Skill
July 17th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I go to Glacier Park regularly since my in-laws live on Flathead Lake.

Now those are mountains...

Ginsbach
July 17th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Now that UND is in the BSC and my kids are getting older I could try to get a road game here or there. Missoula, Bozeman, Cheney would be some great road trips, and of course road trips to California would be nice.

You definitely should. Central and western Montana are gorgeous, and you can check out the channeled scablands if you're out near Cheney. Pocatello and Ogden are both in beautiful areas, as well - coming down the eastern Snake River Plain with the Tetons to one side and the Beaverheads/Lemhi/Lost Rivers to the other is fantastic, as is the drive down the Wasatch Front.

I go to Glacier Park regularly since my in-laws live on Flathead Lake.

Now those are mountains...

I spent 3 months in the Central Transantarctic Mountains. Those are my favorites, next to the Beaverheads.

bobcathpdevil56
July 17th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Ginsbach, have you spent much time around Havre and the Bear Paws. I was wondering what those mountains are all about. Middle of plains and really a pretty cool range

Ginsbach
July 17th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Ginsbach, have you spent much time around Havre and the Bear Paws. I was wondering what those mountains are all about. Middle of plains and really a pretty cool range

I have not been up there, but we've talked about them in one of my classes. All I remember is that they're what remains of a set of Eocene igneous intrusions. In other words, it's a volcanic complex - the Bear Paws were formed by a series of volcanic eruptions, which is why they're an insular mountain range and out in the middle of the plains. I'd love to make it up there sometime, though.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 17th, 2012, 09:05 PM
The talk about ND and Mountains just made me remember a ND fella (NDSU) on this site that was in a discussion and made the statement "I don't like Mountains" and also said he had made a deal with Mountains, he would stay away from them if they agreed to stay away from him.

Wish I could remember who said it cuz it was funny as hell to me.