PDA

View Full Version : App State/Montana 6:30pm ESPN3 and ESPN Gameplan

Apphole
July 11th, 2012, 02:27 PM
BOONE, N.C. — The Southern Conference and ESPN announced on Wednesday that Appalachian State University football’s highly anticipated 2012 home opener versus fellow NCAA Division I FCS power Montana will kick off at 6:30 p.m. on Sept. 8 and be televised nationally on ESPN GamePlan and ESPN3.

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205501994

The Rock is going to be rocking. Let's talk football.

asu3peat
July 11th, 2012, 02:40 PM
It says in the article that the remaining 5 home games will kickoff at 3:30. I thought the Coastal Carolina game was sheduled for 6pm or was that just a rumor???

ASUG8
July 11th, 2012, 02:42 PM
It's gonna be rowdy by the time everybody's been tailgating for 8+ hrs. xlolx

Silenoz
July 11th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Niiiiiiiice

Probably drive over to Missoula for the game

asumike83
It says in the article that the remaining 5 home games will kickoff at 3:30. I thought the Coastal Carolina game was sheduled for 6pm???

I thought so too. Just checked the schedule on GoASU and it shows 3:30. I'd have preferred two night games but if I had to choose one, I'm glad it was Montana!

cbarrier90
BOONE, N.C. — The Southern Conference and ESPN announced on Wednesday that Appalachian State University football’s highly anticipated 2012 home opener versus fellow NCAA Division I FCS power Montana will kick off at 6:30 p.m. on Sept. 8 and be televised nationally on ESPN GamePlan and ESPN3.

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205501994

The Rock is going to be rocking. Let's talk football.

Meanwhile, Michigan St. - Central Michigan is on ESPNU that night...

Sad that this game won't get the publicity and hype it deserves from a major media outlet.

SpeedkingATL
July 11th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Should be as much fun as the Wofford Halloween night game...and hopefully a similar result.

Apphole
July 11th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Oh you mean like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sMfdcCrnTU

AshevilleApp2
July 11th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Niiiiiiiice

Probably drive over to Missoula for the game

I thought you were coming to Boone?

ASUMountaineer
July 11th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I thought so too. Just checked the schedule on GoASU and it shows 3:30. I'd have preferred two night games but if I had to choose one, I'm glad it was Montana!

Yeah, I had heard that one game would be a night game. It was assumed by most people it would be the CCU game. But, like you, I am so much happier that it is the Montana game. KBS is going to be nuts!

Silenoz
July 11th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I thought you were coming to Boone?
Yeah... due to things coming up I'll have to settle for EWU and WSU road games this year :(

Unless...

A certain other thing deposits itself in my checking account like it should. Then I'm coming hell or high water

Proud Griz Man
July 11th, 2012, 04:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVENWl8uBeg

Hot Hot Hot.

Proud Griz Man
July 11th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Two of the best FCS programs, two great fanbases, two great team mascots, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knX92v66gg8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFNeSuXf7gw

Uncle Rico's Clan
July 11th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Don't forget about this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBgu7GtFhGY

Proud Griz Man
July 11th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Intense game. I was glad Matt Cline was not hurt on that play.

App-a-latch-un
July 11th, 2012, 08:12 PM
HELL YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

frozennorth
July 11th, 2012, 08:43 PM
not directly related to this thread, but was the app/lsu game televised a few years ago?

HappyAppy
July 12th, 2012, 05:17 AM
not directly related to this thread, but was the app/lsu game televised a few years ago?

Yes, I think it was on espn or espn2.

boonedocks
July 12th, 2012, 07:50 AM

Yes, I think it was on espn or espn2.

It ended up being moved to ESPN Classic, because kickoff was moved up to 10AM due to the impending hurricane.

GlassOnion
July 12th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Gonna need some serious crowd control. I hope the weather cooperates, last 3 years we've almost always had nasty wet/cold weather for our biggest games, especially the GSU games. I want people to feel comfortable driving up and down the mountain.

Apphole
July 12th, 2012, 09:52 AM
O/U

Streakers? I'd set it at 1.5

Attendance? I'd go 33,500.5

GlassOnion
July 12th, 2012, 10:04 AM
O/U

I'll take the over on streakers, but as for Chattown showing up as the .5 I dont know.

Apphole
July 12th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I'll take the over on streakers, but as for Chattown showing up as the .5 I dont know.

On the next episode of 2 and a half men...

GlassOnion
July 12th, 2012, 10:15 AM
On the next episode of 2 and a half men...

I pray he doesnt show up on tiger blood, I dont want to see him running that field, although seeing him get leveled by that 250 lb former LB security guard would make my day.

ASUMountaineer
July 12th, 2012, 10:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVENWl8uBeg

Hot Hot Hot.

Damn right.

ASUMountaineer
July 12th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Don't forget about this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBgu7GtFhGY

He also got up. That was an incredible hit...I was worried he would be done for.

PantherRob82
July 12th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Really wish I could be there, but lack of funds plus board exams a week later....

Apphole
July 12th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Are we in agreement that this is the biggest non-conference, non-playoff game in FCS history?

TheRevSFA
July 12th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Are we in agreement that this is the biggest non-conference, non-playoff game in FCS history?

No.

..that's not taking anything away from the game though. It's two FCS powerhouses, but it's not a number 1 vs number 2 non conference game.

If you change your post to "one of the...." then I'd agree wholeheartedly

Skjellyfetti
July 12th, 2012, 03:27 PM
t's two FCS powerhouses, but it's not a number 1 vs number 2 non conference game.

Has there ever been a number 1 vs. number two non-conference, non-playoff FCS game?

asumike83
July 12th, 2012, 03:29 PM
No.

..that's not taking anything away from the game though. It's two FCS powerhouses, but it's not a number 1 vs number 2 non conference game.

True but I'm not sure rankings are the sole determining factor in the biggest regular season game, especially so early. For all we know, they could have a re-match in Frisco. I don't know if it's the biggest ever because that goes back to before my time but it is the biggest that I can recall. Two traditional powers on opposite sides of the country with (arguably) the biggest followings of any FCS programs and both teams are expected to be national contenders again. It is definitely up there.

TheRevSFA
July 12th, 2012, 03:31 PM
True but I'm not sure rankings are the sole determining factor in the biggest regular season game, especially so early. For all we know, they could have a re-match in Frisco. I don't know if it's the biggest ever because that goes back to before my time but it is the biggest that I can recall. Two traditional powers on opposite sides of the country with (arguably) the biggest followings of any FCS programs and both teams are expected to be national contenders again. It is definitely up there.

Like I said.."One Of The.." I'd like to get some of FCS/1AA old timers to chime in.

TheRevSFA
July 12th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I guess put it this way..is it the best non conference, non playoff game in the past decade? Hands down..Yes

Apphole
July 12th, 2012, 03:43 PM
I guess put it this way..is it the best non conference, non playoff game in the past decade? Hands down..Yes

Well it seems like you have something in mind. Do share.

Anyway, these are by far the most followed programs in the subdivision, attendance #1 and 2, best brand recognition, famous gamedays ect. GaSo is the only program that comes close in any of these things and there's still a little bit of a gap between these two teams and the 6 time national champion, Eagles. Unless there's some match up over a decade ago between Marshal some other long-departed powerhouse I don't even see how it would be possible.

Grizalltheway
July 12th, 2012, 04:13 PM
O/U

What's the all-time record again?

asumike83
July 12th, 2012, 04:16 PM
What's the all-time record again?

cbarrier90
July 12th, 2012, 04:23 PM

This was also set prior to the addition of the 1500 temporary seats in the north end zone.

Lots of games in KBS history have had the potential to break the record, but have fallen short. Conditions have to be almost perfect weather-wise to make it happen.

frozennorth
July 12th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Well it seems like you have something in mind. Do share.

Anyway, these are by far the most followed programs in the subdivision, attendance #1 and 2, best brand recognition, famous gamedays ect. GaSo is the only program that comes close in any of these things and there's still a little bit of a gap between these two teams and the 6 time national champion, Eagles. Unless there's some match up over a decade ago between Marshal some other long-departed powerhouse I don't even see how it would be possible.

NDSU hasn't quite established itself on the same level as um/asu/gsu yet, but I think gsu/ndsu would have been a similar big-deal game. NDSU/UM will be a good challenger in a couple years especially if NDSU adds a title or two in the mean time.

Apphole
July 12th, 2012, 04:48 PM
NDSU hasn't quite established itself on the same level as um/asu/gsu yet, but I think gsu/ndsu would have been a similar big-deal game. NDSU/UM will be a good challenger in a couple years especially if NDSU adds a title or two in the mean time.

Not even close man. You're a newbie to the subdivision, you just got your first NC, you have about half the attendance (I know it's a dome, but 17k is 17k), not even close to the national brand recognition of App/UM/GaSo. I think it would take a decade to even the playing field. More NC's certainly would expedite the process though, you got that right.

asumike83
July 12th, 2012, 04:53 PM
NDSU gets another ring, they have every right to stake their claim among the top FCS programs in the country. I don't think that D2 titles hold any weight as far as your status as an FCS program but it's not like we're talking about some start-up. They have had a successful program for a long time and if you've got multiple championships, you're among the elite in my book.

As for the biggest non-conference, non-playoff game, I can't think of a bigger one than this. Aside from all the on-field success, Appalachian and Montana are probably the two most recognizable programs in the FCS.

Apphole
July 12th, 2012, 04:57 PM
NDSU gets another ring, they have every right to stake their claim among the top FCS programs in the country. I don't think that D2 titles hold any weight as far as your status as an FCS program but it's not like we're talking about some start-up. They have had a successful program for a long time and if you've got multiple championships, you're among the elite in my book.

I think they're far behind the big three in fan following and brand recognition. As far as being competitive, they certainly proved it this year. It takes a whole lot to get to the top though.

asumike83
July 12th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I think they're far behind the big three in fan following and brand recognition. As far as being competitive, they certainly proved it this year. It takes a whole lot to get to the top though.

I do think App and Montana have the biggest fan followings in the FCS but they are not as far behind as you might think. Since 2000, there have been 4 NC games that drew 20K or more: 3 were the games we played in, the other was last season. I know they had a few extra weeks to plan this year and SHSU was close by and brought fans as well, but they packed the house and had a long way to travel to get there.

frozennorth
July 12th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Not even close man. You're a newbie to the subdivision, you just got your first NC, you have about half the attendance (I know it's a dome, but 17k is 17k), not even close to the national brand recognition of App/UM/GaSo. I think it would take a decade to even the playing field. More NC's certainly would expedite the process though, you got that right.

I don't think you can hold ndsu's attendance against them, there isn't anything that can reasonably be done unless someone decides to drop 100+ million.

Also, Georgia Southern has really poor recognition considering it's history. GSU isn't just back from UM and ASU, but also delaware, ysu, even UNI and nova. Outside of FCS fans, they are kind of anonymous.

TheRevSFA
July 12th, 2012, 06:14 PM

You just won your first NC in the past decade; NDSU won theirs relatively quick after jumping from D2, and, to be fair, your national recognition came from beating a down Michigan team

However I retract my previous statement...this is the biggest FCS game

T-Dog
July 12th, 2012, 06:23 PM
NDSU is at the Champion's Table with Montana State, half the CAA and EWU.

We're at the Champions' Table with Montana, GSU, YSU and EKU.

TheRevSFA
July 12th, 2012, 06:30 PM
And that's great. You've won 3... No one is taking anything from those.

Nothing since...

For example, would you say the Dallas cowboys are currently in the upper echelon of the nfl? No. They won 5 super bowl rings, but nothing recently. If App State goes another 5 years without a NC, are they still at a separate table from the rest

Who says NDSU doesn't three peat? Or four peat?

Grizalltheway
July 12th, 2012, 07:16 PM

Nothing since...

For example, would you say the Dallas cowboys are currently in the upper echelon of the nfl? No. They won 5 super bowl rings, but nothing recently. If App State goes another 5 years without a NC, are they still at a separate table from the rest

Who says NDSU doesn't three peat? Or four peat?

It's 11 years (Christ, seems like just yesterdayxbawlingxxbawlingx) since our last one, have we fallen out of the 'upper echelon' because of that?

Skjellyfetti
July 12th, 2012, 07:20 PM

Nothing since...

So Georgia Southern wouldn't be in your upper echelon? Neither would Montana or Youngstown State?

Who exactly is in your upper echelon? xconfusedx

asumike83
July 12th, 2012, 07:31 PM
to be fair, your national recognition came from beating a down Michigan team

Michigan won 9 games (including one over Tebow and Florida in their bowl game) and finished ranked in the top 20 that year. Just sayin'.

frozennorth
July 12th, 2012, 07:52 PM
It's 11 years (Christ, seems like just yesterdayxbawlingxxbawlingx) since our last one, have we fallen out of the 'upper echelon' because of that?
how many times have you made the title game since? 4 times?

Saint3333
July 12th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Rev is on a streak of inaccurate posts in this thread.

TheRevSFA
July 12th, 2012, 08:14 PM

To answer everything in one post:

1) my bad on Michigan. They weren't down. Beating them is what put you into the national spotlight, not the 3 NCs

2) as for the echelon stuff, it's how you view it, I guess. I think there will come a point when Apl can't hang its on past championships. How long can you keep referencing them?

TheRevSFA
July 12th, 2012, 08:14 PM

Yeah any more and I'll be mpls

frozennorth
July 12th, 2012, 08:18 PM

it takes years of stupidity to get to mpls levels.

TheRevSFA
July 12th, 2012, 08:20 PM
it takes years of stupidity to get to mpls levels.

You know I actually had some train of thought and a slight soapbox but I lost it

Disregard my posts

Saint3333
July 12th, 2012, 09:01 PM

Funny thing, that would actually qualify as an extension of inaccurate posts, if that was on purpose it was brilliant!

TheRevSFA
July 12th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Funny thing, that would actually qualify as an extension of inaccurate posts, if that was on purpose it was brilliant!

Yes and no. I was going to tongue in cheek inaccuracies then was going to lead into a message that was about not discrediting ndsu as well as teams who've been there but in taking a break I lost all train of thought

Anyways, lesson learned. I'll stick to my standard

asumike83
July 12th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Yes and no. I was going to tongue in cheek inaccuracies then was going to lead into a message that was about not discrediting ndsu as well as teams who've been there but in taking a break I lost all train of thought

Anyways, lesson learned. I'll stick to my standard

Knock, knock...

TheRevSFA
July 12th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Knock, knock...

Who's there?

Grizalltheway
July 12th, 2012, 10:44 PM
how many times have you made the title game since? 4 times?

asumike83
July 13th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Who's there?

Friday, July 13:

http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.moviefone.com/media/2010/08/jason.jpg

TheRevSFA
July 13th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Friday, July 13:

http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.moviefone.com/media/2010/08/jason.jpg

Today is the one day App State should be glad they don't have an invite because the people who split off get killed