PDA

View Full Version : GSU Spread Triple Option attack

GSUsTALON
July 10th, 2012, 02:41 PM
To Mplsbison
This is the Spread Triple Option when run correctly with the right coaching staff and talent in place. Is it better than other schemes……………NO………….but it is as effective as other offenses. I give you two of my favored examples. The first shows the potency of the running attack, especially in the second half, & the second shows a GSU QB that can run & shoot. It might not be your cup of tea, but they are good examples. As some say defensive speed can kills the TO but when your offense is faster than the defense.... well $h!t happens

1999 NC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOhszINT8v4

GSU vs AppSt with a nice passing attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nUx5rFgzd0

FormerPokeCenter
July 10th, 2012, 03:33 PM
If I'm running the triple option, I want a fast aggressive defense....I just don't want them to be particularly well coached nor able to play assignment football. I want them to be aggressive and shoot the gaps and go for the ball carrier, heh ;)

Go ahead, defense, turn your shoulders and play the ball instead of closing the inside gaps and then playing to the outside....go ahead....I dare ya.....I double dare ya....I triple option dare ya! ;)

cbarrier90
July 10th, 2012, 03:38 PM
To Mplsbison
This is the Spread Triple Option when run correctly with the right coaching staff and talent in place. Is it better than other schemes……………NO………….but it is as effective as other offenses. I give you two of my favored examples. The first shows the potency of the running attack, especially in the second half, & the second shows a GSU QB that can run & shoot. It might not be your cup of tea, but they are good examples. As some say defensive speed can kills the TO but when your offense is faster than the defense.... well $h!t happens

1999 NC

Not his fault that the only time he's seen it executed it was awful...

This is like me saying "Hey, HailSczcur! I know you didn't see the spread option when Villanova played ASU but here's a video of the 2007 National Championship Game which had nothing to do with our matchup to show you that it is effective so please respect it!"

boogereagle
July 10th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Not his fault that the only time he's seen it executed it was awful...

This is like me saying "Hey, HailSczcur! I know you didn't see the spread option when Villanova played ASU but here's a video of the 2007 National Championship Game which had nothing to do with our matchup to show you that it is effective so please respect it!"

xlolx

I just hope we can play North Dakota State at Paulson early one September afternoon running the 3-0.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 10th, 2012, 03:45 PM
xlolx

I just hope we can play North Dakota State at Paulson early one September afternoon running the 3-0.

You'd have to do a 2 for 1 deal to make up for the game you cancelled last year.

Tuscon
July 10th, 2012, 03:51 PM
xlolx

So you can only beat NDSU when your team is fresh and at home?

boogereagle
July 10th, 2012, 03:58 PM

Since you asked -- was referring to the heat and gnats. I would say that would be as much an advantage as NDSU's dome ...

Last time, NDSU was better but they had clear homefield advantage in a place very hard for opponents to play in.
First time, we had worst coach in history of football trying to run pro style offense with grab bag of hastily recruited kids and those meant for triple option. I'd just like to see Georgia Southern get homefield advantage for once and see what happens.

Note: Georgia Southern's worst team could've still hung 100 on Georgia State's best team.

JSUBison
July 10th, 2012, 04:01 PM

They tried that already. Didn't work. :D

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=262800290

Tuscon
July 10th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Since you asked -- was referring to the heat and gnats. I would say that would be as much an advantage as NDSU's dome ...

Last time, NDSU was better but they had clear homefield advantage in a place very hard for opponents to play in.
First time, we had worst coach in history of football trying to run pro style offense with grab bag of hastily recruited kids and those meant for triple option. I'd just like to see Georgia Southern get homefield advantage for once and see what happens.

Note: Georgia Southern's worst team could've still hung 100 on Georgia State's best team.

NDSU's climate controlled Dome? It's not like it was extra cold for you up there. I see what you're saying though. GS only has a chance against NDSU when they are fresh and at home. Thanks for reaffirming that.

Note: Not really about Georgia State, but if Alabama couldn't hang 100 on us(damn near close), I doubt GS could. No doubt you'd beat us at this point though.

Whompity whomp womp

boogereagle
July 10th, 2012, 04:32 PM

I know. Lord, I lived through 2006 and Brian VanGorder. No way I'm forgetting it.
But for what it's worth, Central Connecticut beat us that year too. Hell,everybody did. You did beat us by two more points than Wofford did, though, so I guess that means something.

For what it's worth, North Dakota State is a great program. No argument from me that it isn't.
I just would like to see this game happen down here in the heat and gnats now that the T0 is back.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 10th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I know. Lord, I lived through 2006 and Brian VanGorder. No way I'm forgetting it.
But for what it's worth, Central Connecticut beat us that year too. Hell,everybody did. You did beat us by two more points than Wofford did, though, so I guess that means something.

For what it's worth, North Dakota State is a great program. No argument from me that it isn't.
I just would like to see this game happen down here in the heat and gnats now that the T0 is back.

What's the difference between that and heat and mosquitoes? You obviously have never been to Fargo in August.

boogereagle
July 10th, 2012, 04:54 PM
NDSU's climate controlled Dome? It's not like it was extra cold for you up there. I see what you're saying though. GS only has a chance against NDSU when they are fresh and at home. Thanks for reaffirming that.

Not the weather, the crowd noise and the indoor dome atmosphere are home field advantages. I think it clearly took the Eagles out of their comfort zone in a game they had to be at their best to win. Nothing wrong with that, but it's an advantage that NDSU had. I tend to think playing in Georgia heat and humidity in September would probably be an advantage for Georgia Southern.

Of course, you wouldn't know about home field advantage since Georgia State doesn't have it.

boogereagle
July 10th, 2012, 04:57 PM
What's the difference between that and heat and mosquitoes? You obviously have never been to Fargo in August.

You obviously have never been to Statesboro in September.

Professor Chaos
July 10th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Not the weather, the crowd noise and the indoor dome atmosphere are home field advantages. I think it clearly took the Eagles out of their comfort zone in a game they had to be at their best to win. Nothing wrong with that, but it's an advantage that NDSU had. I tend to think playing in Georgia heat and humidity in September would probably be an advantage for Georgia Southern.

Of course, you wouldn't know about home field advantage since Georgia State doesn't have it.
Buttbama??? :D

GSUsTALON
July 10th, 2012, 05:20 PM
If I'm running the triple option, I want a fast aggressive defense....I just don't want them to be particularly well coached nor able to play assignment football. I want them to be aggressive and shoot the gaps and go for the ball carrier, heh ;)

Go ahead, defense, turn your shoulders and play the ball instead of closing the inside gaps and then playing to the outside....go ahead....I dare ya.....I double dare ya....I triple option dare ya! ;)

Line penitration my friend, thats the trick!

GSUsTALON
July 10th, 2012, 05:23 PM

Brother EAGLE, The dome thing was a factor, fine and dandy, but we got our a$$ handed to use. I do seek REVENGE!

Tuscon
July 10th, 2012, 05:42 PM

We're 8 - 4 at home....

GSUsTALON
July 10th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Tuscon xlolx

fatmonarch
July 10th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I don't think those wins vs. shorter, Lambuth, Clark Atlanta, and st. Francis should count. Wait...xcoffeex

straightshooter
July 10th, 2012, 06:36 PM
For the GSU Flexbone to really run, we've got to have a QB who can pressure the defense by getting to the pitch option very quickly, and being able to turn the ball up the field. In other words, he has to beat the strong safety to the pitch option area. Jaybo Shaw was as good as GSU has had understanding the offense, but he simply did not have the speed and quickness of the NC quarterbacks GSU has had. Delaware and NDSU exploited Jaybo's lack of speed by blowing the safety in quickly in the two semi-final losses GSU has suffered the past two seasons. That disrupted the timing of the option play.

Well Jaybo has graduated and his position will be filled by quarterbacks who run 4.4 and are cat quick. That speed and quickness just might be what GSU needs to take the next step towards that 7th NC. Couple that QB speed with a FB who is now about 225 and faster than a year ago, no less than four A-backs who have great speed and can catch the ball and a greatly improved corp of WR - more size and speed, and you've go the makings of a strong offensive team. Now I am by no means calling out the rest of the FCS universe. The GSU team has to gel and the OL has to gain experience and play as a unit. If that happens, the 2012 edition of the GSU Eagles can be very special. We'll see...

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 06:52 PM

Nope. Already beat them in Georgia in 2006.

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 06:54 PM
You obviously have never been to Statesboro in September.

Is Oct 7th close enough?

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=638943

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 06:55 PM
For the GSU Flexbone to really run, we've got to have a QB who can pressure the defense by getting to the pitch option very quickly, and being able to turn the ball up the field. In other words, he has to beat the strong safety to the pitch option area. Jaybo Shaw was as good as GSU has had understanding the offense, but he simply did not have the speed and quickness of the NC quarterbacks GSU has had. Delaware and NDSU exploited Jaybo's lack of speed by blowing the safety in quickly in the two semi-final losses GSU has suffered the past two seasons. That disrupted the timing of the option play.

Well Jaybo has graduated and his position will be filled by quarterbacks who run 4.4 and are cat quick. That speed and quickness just might be what GSU needs to take the next step towards that 7th NC. Couple that QB speed with a FB who is now about 225 and faster than a year ago, no less than four A-backs who have great speed and can catch the ball and a greatly improved corp of WR - more size and speed, and you've go the makings of a strong offensive team. Now I am by no means calling out the rest of the FCS universe. The GSU team has to gel and the OL has to gain experience and play as a unit. If that happens, the 2012 edition of the GSU Eagles can be very special. We'll see...

Can they throw the ball?

No offense, but I'll take Steve Walker at whatever 5.xxx 40 time he ran over your scatback QB's lofting ducks.

EKU-n-GSU
July 10th, 2012, 06:58 PM

I think the OL will do just fine, but then again I have some inside scoop. Ccouple all that with the heat, humidity, and pecker-gnats, and I like our chances this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngrhvX9f7j4

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 06:58 PM
To Mplsbison

1999 NC

It doesn't matter how you line up, which direction your players run, if they spin around or dance like clowns.

Defenses will adjust to it. Good defenses will adjust to it and shut it down. Humans can only do so many things. Once you figure out a one trick pony, there's not much else to see.

Give me a modern, pro-style offense, multiple formation, utilizing multiple personnel groupings to take advantage of mismatches in defensive personnel, a powerful, downhill runner, receivers who run great routes and catch the ball and a QB who can deliver the ball at the right place and the right time.

I'll take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday over the latest gimmick.

FormerPokeCenter
July 10th, 2012, 07:06 PM

At least they didn't lose to Lambuth when their team was fresh and at home ;)

eaglewraith
July 10th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I'll take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday over the latest gimmick.

How's it the "latest gimmick" when it's been around for decades?

eaglewraith
July 10th, 2012, 07:14 PM

I wanted to slit my wrists after that game....however, that was not a true GSU team. That was an abomination and it's a miracle that jackass coach made it out of the city limits alive.

Tuscon
July 10th, 2012, 07:38 PM
At least they didn't lose to Lambuth when their team was fresh and at home ;)

Ahhhh... your definition of fresh is a bit more different than mine. That was our second game ever. We lost a couple we shouldn't have. But with the mighty GS, why would they have to play them at home to win? Didn't they put a hurtin' on Alabama at Bryant-Denny?!

straightshooter
July 10th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Can they throw the ball?

No offense, but I'll take Steve Walker at whatever 5.xxx 40 time he ran over your scatback QB's lofting ducks.

Youyoute can flat throw it. He's got a 60+ yard arm and throws a beautiful perfect spiral. Tell you what. Here's hoping we play again in '12. Blow that safety up to the line of scrimmage to take the QB like you did the entire game in '11, and you'll see if he can throw it - right to that spot vacated by the safety.

FormerPokeCenter
July 10th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Ahhhh... your definition of fresh is a bit more different than mine. That was our second game ever. We lost a couple we shouldn't have. But with the mighty GS, why would they have to play them at home to win? Didn't they put a hurtin' on Alabama at Bryant-Denny?!

It doesn't get more fresh than your second game ever....and you've got Pro-caliber coaching, and - according to your Sports Information Department, 4 Star Stud athletes two deep. Lambuth is NAIA...excuse me...they WERE NAIA....the entire school folded because they couldn't pay the bills....and how much was your athletic budget, alone?

I gotta be honest....I know it's the off season and I know you'd like to in a position to talk smack to Georgia Southern, but - really - hiding behind NDSU's apron strings to do it? Nexttime, just ask a Bison fan if they'll breast feed you or something ;)

Tuscon
July 10th, 2012, 08:15 PM
It doesn't get more fresh than your second game ever....and you've got Pro-caliber coaching, and - according to your Sports Information Department, 4 Star Stud athletes two deep. Lambuth is NAIA...excuse me...they WERE NAIA....the entire school folded because they couldn't pay the bills....and how much was your athletic budget, alone?

I gotta be honest....I know it's the off season and I know you'd like to in a position to talk smack to Georgia Southern, but - really - hiding behind NDSU's apron strings to do it? Nexttime, just ask a Bison fan if they'll breast feed you or something ;)

4 star athletes 2 deep? Who says that? Are you just making stuff up?

AmsterBison
July 11th, 2012, 07:47 AM
NDSU won five national championships running the triple O - so you don't have to convince me that it's effective.

GSUsTALON
July 11th, 2012, 08:20 AM
[/QUOTE]MplsBison;1811106] “It doesn't matter how you line up, which direction your players run, if they spin around or dance like clowns. Defenses will adjust to it. Good defenses will adjust to it and shut it down. Humans can only do so many things. Once you figure out a one trick pony, there's not much else to see. Give me a modern, pro-style offense, multiple formation, utilizing multiple personnel groupings to take advantage of mismatches in defensive personnel, a powerful, downhill runner, receivers who run great routes and catch the ball and a QB who can deliver the ball at the right place and the right time. I'll take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday over the latest gimmick.”[/QUOTE]

AmsterBison;1811179] NDSU won five national championships running the triple O - so you don't have to convince me that it's effective.

TALON “Maybe Mpls is not familiar with the Bison’s past history…..SAD”!

Apphole
July 11th, 2012, 08:23 AM
AmsterBison;1811179] NDSU won five national championships running the triple O - so you don't have to convince me that it's effective.

TALON “Maybe Mpls is not familiar with the Bison’s past history…..SAD”!

Maybe he was right about it being a high school offense anyway. Seeing as how those NC's were D-2.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 11th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Maybe he was right about it being a high school offense anyway. Seeing as how those NC's were D-2.

*cough* *cough* NAIA *cough* *cough*

FormerPokeCenter
July 11th, 2012, 08:45 AM
4 star athletes 2 deep? Who says that? Are you just making stuff up?

What? A Georgia State fan who is unfamiliar with hyperbole? Holy Incongruity, Batman!

BisonBacker
July 11th, 2012, 08:57 AM
It doesn't matter how you line up, which direction your players run, if they spin around or dance like clowns.

Defenses will adjust to it. Good defenses will adjust to it and shut it down. Humans can only do so many things. Once you figure out a one trick pony, there's not much else to see.

Give me a modern, pro-style offense, multiple formation, utilizing multiple personnel groupings to take advantage of mismatches in defensive personnel, a powerful, downhill runner, receivers who run great routes and catch the ball and a QB who can deliver the ball at the right place and the right time.

The triple option can and is a great offense to run. The game in Fargo last year less a few turnovers could have been a lot different. Yes our defense did a great job but any offense whether it be the Pro style or the TO isn't going to succeed very often if you turn the ball over multiple times a game. I don't know why I or anyone bothers to debate anything with you but when you diss the TO when NDSU ran it effectively and won so many National Championships running it just shows how ignorant you are.

GSUsTALON
July 11th, 2012, 09:45 AM
[QUOTE=BisonBacker;1811208]The triple option can and is a great offense to run. The game in Fargo last year less a few turnovers could have been a lot different. Yes our defense did a great job but any offense whether it be the Pro style or the TO isn't going to succeed very often if you turn the ball over multiple times a game. I don't know why I or anyone bothers to debate anything with you but when you diss the TO when NDSU ran it effectively and won so many National Championships running it just shows how ignorant you are.[/QUO

TALON to BisonBacker, NDSU had to have an excellent coaching staff, solid talent and ecicute the TO well to gain FIVE D2 NCs with it & the same things must be in place for any team to win consistantly. Mr. MplsBison doesn't know his own NDSU history. You had all the peices last year to run your style of football and romp through the FCS no matter which offense was thrown at you. As I remenmber durring the playoffs your defense shut down an Air attack offense, balanced offense and 2 ground attack offenses in GSU & S.H. So it appears no one was ging to stand in your way no matter what offense they ran.

GSUsTALON
July 11th, 2012, 09:58 AM

You hit the nail on the head!

GSUhooligan
July 11th, 2012, 11:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wja9kdXHVUQ

blueballs
July 11th, 2012, 11:47 AM
The flexbone, like any system, is only as good as the players running it.

The main advantage of the flexbone in today's game is an opponent has to prepare for something they aren't familiar with in no more than two weeks and then somehow adjust to the speed and crispness that GSU runs it. This is one of the reasons their playoff record is so good. An opponent has to prepare for something foreign in a week and then try to defend it against excellent athletes who are experienced in the system running it really fast.

If you go back and look at GSU's history running the flexbone when GSU scores first, leads after one quarter, or leads at the half their winning percentage is phenomenal- particularly in the playoffs. IMO this is because if the opponent is good enough to stop it early (UD in 10 and NDSU in 11) they are good enough to stop it for 60 minutes. Of course there are exceptions but generally that is the rule.

Straightshooter is right... when GSU has featured speed at the QB position the option is deadly especially in the playoffs. As good as Jaybo was and as much as he meant to the program, he will never be Tracy Ham, Raymond Gross, Greg Hill, or JR Revere (or Chaz Williams or Jayson Foster) because of the lack of running threat.

Go back and review the 1999 GSU offense... that was the perfect storm of talent, experience, and the system. They had a SR QB in Hill (SoCon POTY) who was lightning fast and could throw, the perfect combination of speed and power at FB in Peterson (Payton Award), a big time burner at slot in Cunningham, another tremendous blocker at slot in Freeman, a great WR in Johnson, and an experienced o-line with 2 first team all americans in Williams and McGrath. That team averaged 440/game rushing, about 110/game passing, and 50+ ppg over a 15 game season setting a multitude of conference and national records. The 1986 offense (Tracy Ham's SR year) was similarly experienced and put up similar numbers.

As for 2012, we'll see... the two kids in competition for the QB position are both tremendous athletes, strong quick and fast. Whether they will be good QB's under pressure is the question. Also don't discount how good Maxwell and Moore were on the o-line, they will be hard to replace. William Maxwell was probably the most underrated player in the SoCon last year.

I can see a scenario like 2002, where GSU was hit hard by graduation and started 1-2 before running off 10 in a row and losing a geartbreaker to WKU in the semis. Just like then there is a plethora of talent but it is going to need seasoning, how quick it gells will be the key.

JSUBison
July 11th, 2012, 11:53 AM

The main advantage of the flexbone in today's game is an opponent has to prepare for something they aren't familiar with in no more than two weeks and then somehow adjust to the speed and crispness that GSU runs it. This is one of the reasons their playoff record is so good. An opponent has to prepare for something foreign in a week and then try to defend it against excellent athletes who are experienced in the system running it really fast.

If you go back and look at GSU's history running the flexbone when GSU scores first, leads after one quarter, or leads at the half their winning percentage is phenomenal- particularly in the playoffs. IMO this is because if the opponent is good enough to stop it early (UD in 10 and NDSU in 11) they are good enough to stop it for 60 minutes. Of course there are exceptions but generally that is the rule.

Straightshooter is right... when GSU has featured speed at the QB position the option is deadly especially in the playoffs. As good as Jaybo was and as much as he meant to the program, he will never be Tracy Ham, Raymond Gross, Greg Hill, or JR Revere (or Chaz Williams or Jayson Foster) because of the lack of running threat.

Go back and review the 1999 GSU offense... that was the perfect storm of talent, experience, and the system. They had a SR QB in Hill (SoCon POTY) who was lightning fast and could throw, the perfect combination of speed and power at FB in Peterson (Payton Award), a big time burner at slot in Cunningham, another tremendous blocker at slot in Freeman, a great WR in Johnson, and an experienced o-line with 2 first team all americans in Williams and McGrath. That team averaged 440/game rushing, about 110/game passing, and 50+ ppg over a 15 game season setting a multitude of conference and national records. The 1986 offense (Tracy Ham's SR year) was similarly experienced and put up similar numbers.

As for 2012, we'll see... the two kids in competition for the QB position are both tremendous athletes, strong quick and fast. Whether they will be good QB's under pressure is the question. Also don't discount how good Maxwell and Moore were on the o-line, they will be hard to replace. William Maxwell was probably the most underrated player in the SoCon last year.

I can see a scenario like 2002, where GSU was hit hard by graduation and started 1-2 before running off 10 in a row and losing a geartbreaker to WKU in the semis. Just like then there is a plethora of talent but it is going to need seasoning, how quick it gells will be the key.

I don't know all the particulars to GSU, but I will say that just by using the old eyeball test, GSU has reclaimed the top dog status of the Socon. I'd put my money on Monken to win a NC before any other school in the Socon. As long as he sticks around that is.

seantaylor
July 11th, 2012, 11:59 PM

I agree. But, I think we have more depth at the skill positions than the 1999 team. Bback, Aback, and WR are very deep and talented postions.

ODUsmitty
July 12th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Have nothing but respect for Georgia Southern fans and program. Class acts and were great hosts to our playoff game.

THe triple option is difficult to defend, and ODU sucked at it. However, if the illegal motion penalties that were obvious were called on 40-50% of the GSU offensive plays, that offense would not be quite so impressive.

eaglewraith
July 12th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Have nothing but respect for Georgia Southern fans and program. Class acts and were great hosts to our playoff game.

THe triple option is difficult to defend, and ODU sucked at it. However, if the illegal motion penalties that were obvious were called on 40-50% of the GSU offensive plays, that offense would not be quite so impressive.

There was not illegal motion as much as you think there was. Our guys move on a cadence, and that is why we fire off the ball so quick. It was obvious against NDSU when we weren't getting that push that we were not able to hear the cadence, and everyone was trying hard not to get a false start. The A-Back is generally always going to be in motion, but what you think is the B-Back moving early, is actually him starting to move simultaneously with the snap of the ball. Granted, the timing does get messed up sometimes and we are obviously putting two men in motion/false starting. Many different ref crews saw us play last year and didn't see the things you think you saw.

If you wanna go down this road though, I'd say that if ODU wouldn't have held as much Heineke wouldn't have had as much time to throw as he did so ODU wouldn't be as impressive.

FormerPokeCenter
July 12th, 2012, 09:30 AM
You hit the nail on the head!

Actually, ( and I've got some experience with this) to run any of the triple options effectively, you need a really quick center who gets the ball to the QB with authority ;) It makes a difference ;)

eaglewraith
July 12th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Actually, ( and I've got some experience with this) to run any of the triple options effectively, you need a really quick center who gets the ball to the QB with authority ;) It makes a difference ;)

Agreed.

A center quick off the snap and exploding into the DL is a very nice thing to have. That's why I wanted to cry when Maxwell graduated this year. We put him at center and the dive was there for the rest of the season, except against NDSU.

GlassOnion
July 12th, 2012, 10:11 AM

If that is the main advantage of the offense, it stands to reason that SoCon schools with very good, very fast defenses should be favored, given the fact that they'll play 3 tripleO teams a season. GSU will be the last tripleO team Appalachian plays in 2012.

I-16Bandit
July 12th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Just one question...

Why is Georgia State being brought up in this discussion at all?

EKU-n-GSU
July 12th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Agreed.

A center quick off the snap and exploding into the DL is a very nice thing to have. That's why I wanted to cry when Maxwell graduated this year. We put him at center and the dive was there for the rest of the season, except against NDSU.

Looks like DeBartola is being penciled in as #1 center. He's very experienced at all OL positions and should be a very good leader of that group. We also have two very good back-up centers in Saint-Amour (#75) and Hagan (#55). Saint-Amour played quite a bit last year as a true freshman and took SoCon freshman of the week honors (forget which game); he's very explosive off the ball and gets to his primary blocking assignment quickly. Hagan is a RS-Soph with very good size and showed excellent skills at both guard and center on last years practice squad.

GlassOnion
July 12th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Just one question...

Why is Georgia State being brought up in this discussion at all?

Just wait till they go 0-for this season in the CAA, they'll disappear real quick. And I truly believe that will happen.

Tuscon
July 12th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Just wait till they go 0-for this season in the CAA, they'll disappear real quick. And I truly believe that will happen.

Miss the point of the question much?

eaglemachine
July 12th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Miss the point of the question much?

?? what? oh....your still here.

seantaylor
July 12th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Looks like DeBartola is being penciled in as #1 center. He's very experienced at all OL positions and should be a very good leader of that group. We also have two very good back-up centers in Saint-Amour (#75) and Hagan (#55). Saint-Amour played quite a bit last year as a true freshman and took SoCon freshman of the week honors (forget which game); he's very explosive off the ball and gets to his primary blocking assignment quickly. Hagan is a RS-Soph with very good size and showed excellent skills at both guard and center on last years practice squad.

Can you give a depth chart of the rest of the Oline. I would say Byrd and McBurnett are locks to start, right?

Tuscon
July 13th, 2012, 12:39 AM
?? what? oh....your still here.

For one more year!

EKU-n-GSU
July 13th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Can you give a depth chart of the rest of the Oline. I would say Byrd and McBurnett are locks to start, right?

Don't have a complete list - will know more next weekend when G-man comes home. If I had to guess at a starting five and immediate back-ups, it'd be:

C - De Bartola/Saint-Amour
G - Lonas/Daves
G - McBurnett/Hagan
T - Byrd/Hunt
T - Frye/Klugey

Gray, Peeples, and Kraemer come to mind as potential 2-3 line fillers. Other back-ups too; they had seven freshmen red-shirt OL from last year; one has transferred, and 8-9 new freshmen OL as well. We're going to be deep, but we're young. Still, lots of returning playing time on the line.

blueballs
July 13th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Don't have a complete list - will know more next weekend when G-man comes home. If I had to guess at a starting five and immediate back-ups, it'd be:

C - De Bartola/Saint-Amour
G - Lonas/Daves
G - McBurnett/Hagan
T - Byrd/Hunt
T - Frye/Klugey

Gray, Peeples, and Kraemer come to mind as potential 2-3 line fillers. Other back-ups too; they had seven freshmen red-shirt OL from last year; one has transferred, and 8-9 new freshmen OL as well. We're going to be deep, but we're young. Still, lots of returning playing time on the line.

With all that depth and the fact that whoever starts at QB will be no older than a JR and Swope is a SO, the offense is going to be sick in 2013 and beyond.

EKU-n-GSU
July 13th, 2012, 09:30 AM
With all that depth and the fact that whoever starts at QB will be no older than a JR and Swope is a SO, the offense is going to be sick in 2013 and beyond.

That is a fact. In all of those names mentioned, only two (2) are SRs (Gray and DeBartola) and Gray has one more year of eligibility, though he's been hampered with knee problems his entire career.

GABison
July 14th, 2012, 04:01 PM
NDSU won five national championships running the triple O - so you don't have to convince me that it's effective.

Considering that, NDSU literally wrote the book on the option (Don Morton). With option holdovers (Bohl and Hazelton), you would have to figure they also know a thing or two about defending against it. I can't think of an option team that has had their way with us.

FormerPokeCenter
July 15th, 2012, 12:55 PM
No offense, but Emory Bellard wrote the book on the triple option...Bill Yoeman edited the chapters on the inside and outside veer; and others have contributed addendums, but that book was written long before Don Morton. I understand that you guys had a good run with it, but it's revisionist history to say Morton was that influential with it....He was still coaching in HS when Bellard and Yeoman were tearing up the Southwest Conference with it...from there Bowden, Bryant and others adopted it....

344Johnson
July 15th, 2012, 02:29 PM
No offense, but Emory Bellard wrote the book on the triple option...Bill Yoeman edited the chapters on the inside and outside veer; and others have contributed addendums, but that book was written long before Don Morton. I understand that you guys had a good run with it, but it's revisionist history to say Morton was that influential with it....He was still coaching in HS when Bellard and Yeoman were tearing up the Southwest Conference with it...from there Bowden, Bryant and others adopted it....

Don Morton literally wrote the book....and Jim Wacker.

http://www.amazon.com/Explosive-Veer-Offense-Winning-Football/dp/0132980185

FormerPokeCenter
July 16th, 2012, 12:55 AM
LOL, Look, Homer Rice wrote a book on the TO, too...and it predates the one you referenced....

http://www.amazon.com/Homer-Rice-triple-option-football/dp/0133945936/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Those that can, do...those that can't, teach. Those that can't even do that, write about it! ;)

The facts remain: Bellard invented the wishbone triple option....Bill Yeoman refined it for split backs in the veer...

Everybody else simply copied them.....

Your boy wrote A book about the Triple Option....he didn't write THE book ;)

Hell, even my good friend David Walker, the winningest QB in Texas A&M history (and the youngest starting QB in NCAA history) and Emory Bellard's most accomplished triple option practicioner wrote a book about running the Triple Option: "I'll tell you when you're good"....though I'll admit it's not really an X and O kinda book ;)

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/150741_414778055222024_73280137_n.jpg