PDA

View Full Version : Things to do In Boone Before You're Dead

KNUTS
July 9th, 2012, 08:31 PM
I know this isnt exactly a football topic but we are planning a trip to Boone for the Griz v ASU game and I need some suggestions from the locals about things we can do, places to eat, where to stay, etc, etc. Right now it's looking like we will be flying into Greenville SC and a visit to Furman and Wofford and then the trek by rental car to Boone Friday. Or Charlotte is the other option. Feel free to chime in and give any advice.

Thanks

ursus edti:

The list of attendee's...

Here's the list so far:

Travelers

ursus arctos horribilis
KNUTS
ALPHAGRIZ1
Ellsworthgriz
Griz0383
MarkCCU
Grizaddicted +2

Grizo406

Locals

asumike83
ASUG8 +1
asu3peat
AshevilleApp2
T-Dog
Apphole
cbarrier90
Mr. C

EKU-n-GSU
July 9th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I can highly recommend this place as a base camp...

http://www.vrbo.com/310926

Not exactly remote, but not exactly on top of your neighbor, either. A quick ride back into town and a stop a Harris Teeter for some good grub if you like to cook for yourself...

asumike83
July 9th, 2012, 09:07 PM
As far as places to stay, he is right on with the cabin idea. Cheaper and easier to find than a hotel room in the High Country. VRBO has a ton of places and these are worth a try too:

http://www.blueridgerentals.com/
http://www.foscoerentals.com/

In regards to travel, the drive is quicker going through Charlotte as opposed to Greenville and the flights are typically cheaper as well. However, if you want to visit Furman and Wofford on your way in, both campuses are gorgeous.

Depends on what you like but there is great golf in the Boone area (Linville Ridge, Grandfather Golf Club and Hound Ears among others), hiking on the Blue Ridge Parkway and Watauga Lake if you're the outdoors type. I'm sure that taking a stroll through campus and downtown Boone is already on the agenda but campus is beautiful and Boone is a great little college town. Downtown Blowing Rock is another popular tourist attraction with a number of nice bars, restaurants and shops. In Boone, I'd suggest trying Black Cat Burrito, Mellow Mushroom or Cafe Portofino. Mountain House, Sunrise Grill and Boone Bagelry are good breakfast spots. If you're a BBQ fan, I would stop by Woodland's in Blowing Rock.

I'm sure some of the other App folks can fill in what I missed but those are what I've got off the top of my head.

McNeese75
July 9th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Mast General Store is a nice stop xnodx

http://www.mastgeneralstore.com/

penguinpower
July 9th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Went to Boone for the YSU Vs App State game in 2006. People were very friendly and wish we could play more often. Believe it or not Boone is only 7.5 hour drive from Y-Town, which is much closer than almost all of the Missouri Valley conference opponents. The closest opponent is Indiana State and it is a 6.5 hour drive.

Anyhow, the facilities are very similar to YSU, except the tailgate lots can actually be located above the stadium (really cool). I really enjoyed my time there, however, we did see a streaker at halftime, which was really a lot of entertainment in itself.

Great place and nice people. I wish YSU had an annual game Vs App State.

By the way....great car wash place on the way in. The folks there were telling us that they hoped App State didn't hurt our team too badly.

boonegoon
July 9th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Flying into Charlotte is probably easier but the drive from Greenville is much prettier. If you are into driving a little , take Cherokee scenic highway 11 through Hendersonville. Nice byway. Plus, I'd recommend hitting Asheville on the way. (Man, I wish we had football here in Avl). Beer city USA. Then drive up to Boone hitting the Blue Ridge Parkway along the way around Linville to take a gander at the vistas, Grandfather mountain and the viaduct on it's shoulders is pretty spectacular. Get off the Blue Ridge Parkway on 221 and head to Blowing Rock. Hang a right on 321/Main Street and check out downtown Blowing Rock. Eventually hitting Canyons on 321S for a spot on the porch and a cocktail. From there head back up 321 n all the way to Boone (8 miles.) Town eats are Casa Rustica, Pomodoros, Char and some tired chains.

EKU-n-GSU
July 9th, 2012, 09:34 PM
In regards to travel, the drive is quicker going through Charlotte as opposed to Greenville and the flights are typically cheaper as well. However, if you want to visit Furman and Wofford on your way in, both campuses are gorgeous.

I hadn't driven to Boone in quite a few years, and honestly the last time (before last fall) our direction was from Louisville, KY, so no real comparison. This past fall we drove up through Gastonia and took 321 up through Hickory and Lenoir...a much, much better drive than anticipated, despite some rainy/foggy weather. You're getting some good reco's here...you'll really enjoy the trip as much as the destination.

Mountaineer
July 9th, 2012, 09:57 PM
This past fall we drove up through Gastonia and took 321 up through Hickory and Lenoir...a much, much better drive than anticipated, despite some rainy/foggy weather

Yup, it's a straight shot on four lanes now all the way into Blowing Rock. Could run into construction though as they've started the work for widening 321 all the way through the town.

Also watch speed. Funny that - they widen the road to four lanes, grade it out for a smooth and painless ride, and then LOWER the speed limit. It's a total revenue grab by the state with highway patrol hiding all over the place. Bastards. xshakefistx

If hitting up the Mast General Store make sure to visit the one in nearby Valle Crucis. It's the original.

Apphole
July 9th, 2012, 10:19 PM
I know this isnt exactly a football topic but we are planning a trip to Boone for the Griz v ASU game and I need some suggestions from the locals about things we can do, places to eat, where to stay, etc, etc. Right now it's looking like we will be flying into Greenville SC and a visit to Furman and Wofford and then the trek by rental car to Boone Friday. Or Charlotte is the other option. Feel free to chime in and give any advice.

Thanks

Food: Portofino, Char, Black Cat, Coyote Kitchen, Boone Bagelry, Comeback Shack, Mellow Mushroom (no particular order)

Bars: first of all, how old is your group? I'll specify which bars will cater to your demographic.

Char, Galaleo's, Murphy's, Porto's, Macadoes, Paolucci's, Boone Saloon, tApp Room, Klondike, Parthanon, Town Tavern (no particular order)

All within a short walk from campus

seantaylor
July 10th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Have intercourse with mutton

Tod
July 10th, 2012, 01:48 AM

I usually have mutton for the third course, but I'll try it for the intercourse if you think it works better.

App-a-latch-un
July 10th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Depending on how long you are in town there are a number of things you could get into. There is great hiking, my personal favorites are the profile trail and Boone Fork. Grandfather mountain is worth a visit, it does cost around $14/person I think. Tubing on the New or Watauga River is a fun way to spend a day. There are a few ziplines in the area now, I've never tried em though.

Downtown Boone is a must. You can check out Howard's Knob, it towers over downtown, I'd definitely drive up there, it's a great view. Favorite restaurants in town would be Hob Nob Farm Cafe, Melanie's, Proper, Mellow Mushroom, Portofinos, Black Cat, and Mokotos if you like sushi. Char was mentioned above, I'd avoid that place like the plague, personally I think it's terrible. As far as bars, on game days I always go to Murphy's, they have great wings and pizza. Portofinos is a good bar with lots of outdoor seating, Boone Saloon is a favorite too. Mellow Mushroom can be a little pricey for pizza but they do have 30 beers on tap.

Banner Elk and Blowing Rock are towns nearby. If you wanna get fancy there are some nice places to eat in Blowing Rock, check out The Best Cellar and Game Keeper. My new favorite place to eat up here is a place called Foggy Rock close to Woodlands which is your best bbq option.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to take you on a hike, or jumpin into a river. I live right downtown so send me a message if you'd like.

CID1990
July 10th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Go swimming at Hound Ears and bang your sister. That's about it.

AppStsGr8
July 10th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Crave on Boone Heights Dr. is also a good place to eat. Personally, I like Char as well. Cafe Portofino, Black Cat, and Mellow Mushroom are all great. Which Wich has some great sandwiches that you could grab for Parkway picnics. Boone does have some franchise restaurants now if you want the same old fare.

For recreation it's hard to beat Grandfather Mountain's profile trail. Linville Caverns is also an enjoyable activity and not too far down the mountain.

321 through Gastonia is the smoothest way up from Greenville, SC. Charlotte is nice enough but looks like "city" to me - lots of buildings, traffic, and people.

As far as gameday eats are concerned, don't worry about a thing. Just wander through the parking lots with your Montana gear on and enjoy being treated by the App faithful. We're planning fajitas for our tailgate and will have plenty to share.

AshevilleApp2
July 10th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Some good suggestions have already been made.

If you like to hike, and depending on how long you are in the area, you may want to hit Linville Gorge.

http://www.linvillegorge.net/

Another option not mentioned is to take the Blue Ridge Parkway to Price Lake and rent a canoe. There's also some nice hiking trails near there.

http://www.recreation.gov/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=74043

ElonFirefighter
July 10th, 2012, 08:58 AM
xbangxxbangxxbangxwin a football game

asumike83
July 10th, 2012, 09:03 AM
If you wanna get fancy there are some nice places to eat in Blowing Rock, check out The Best Cellar and Game Keeper.

How did I forget about that? If you want to go out for a meal that is a bit on the pricey side, you have to hit the Game Keeper. It is excellent.

http://www.gamekeeper-nc.com/

Apphole
July 10th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Boone does have some franchise restaurants now if you want the same old fare.

I heard Golden Coral has a chocolate wonder-fall AND a cotton candy machine!

But seriously Monty folks, stick to the local places. Some of these restaurants will change your life. Eat at Chili's when you get home.

AppStateold299
July 10th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I agree that it will be cheaper and easier for you to fly into Charlotte rather than Greenville, but the drive is nicer from Greenville.
Take 25 N out of Greenville to 26W (toward Asheville)
26W to 40E (toward Morganton)
Get off at Old Fort (Hwy 70 exit 270 *I am pretty sure*)
Take 70 to 221N
Take 221 up the mountain to Linville
Turn left on 105 going past Banner Elk to Boone
*This is a beautiful drive* I am from Atlanta and take this route every time I go up if I need a scenic retreat from the highway*

As far as things to do...
1. If you have kids they will enjoy the Linville Caverns which are located off of 221 from the previous directions (approx. 45 min. from Boone)
2. Linville Falls located off of 183
3. Howards Knob
4. Tour the Campus (of course)
5. Ziplines (Hawksnest, Screaming)
6. Float one of the rivers (Wahoo Adventures) rents and drops you off at a point and picks you up (only do if it is warm with kids)
7. Drive the Parkway (Price Park Lake, Viaduct, and other attractions close to Boone). These include hiking, fishing, and other things.
8. Grandfather Mountain (swinging bridge and small zoo)
9. Blowing Rock & Boone shopping (if all else fails)

Restaurants & Bars...
1. My number one place is Murphy's (cheap beer, shuffleboard, pool, and great atmosphere *some may differ*). Wings are great and you have to try the cheese fries
3. Joe's ***Must Eat Here*** (sandwiches are to die for)
2. Black Cats *Brotherly Love*
3. Macados
4. Portafino's is pretty good
5. Breakfast
a. ) The Mountain House is a must **I hate the new location but the food is still great. It is in Market Center near the movie theater.**
b. ) Boone Bagelary very good and cheap
6. BBQ - Woodlands is a must for lunch or dinner (located in Blowing Rock)
7. Jake's Great Food Fast - Great for things on the go in Blowing Rock. I actually used to live with the guy that owns the restaurant *plug his business* but it is really good.
8. All food up there is awesome.

I hope you have a great trip up to App and enjoy the game. I will be there with my family as well. It will be the first time with my son so I am stoked for the game.

KNUTS
July 10th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Food: Portofino, Char, Black Cat, Coyote Kitchen, Boone Bagelry, Comeback Shack, Mellow Mushroom (no particular order)

Bars: first of all, how old is your group? I'll specify which bars will cater to your demographic.

Char, Galaleo's, Murphy's, Porto's, Macadoes, Paolucci's, Boone Saloon, tApp Room, Klondike, Parthanon, Town Tavern (no particular order)

All within a short walk from campus

30's and 40's and all of us like to party... My demographic is usually 20 something women who make poor decisions and have severe daddy issues!.. but I will strain or make due with what I get hanging with 40 year olds... oh and I forgot one of us is probably in their 60's so he will probably need some early bird specials.

Thanks for the info!

KNUTS
July 10th, 2012, 10:19 AM

I'll have to try that.. is she your sister? Will she participate in a train? How about a phone number?!

ElonFirefighter
July 10th, 2012, 10:28 AM
If your up for a hike, grandfather mountain has an advanced trail at the top. You hike up ladders nailed to the mountain and over roped inclines. Must wear good shoes. This is not for young kids when you get towards the top, but still a long backwoods hike.

mountaineermaniac
July 10th, 2012, 10:31 AM
For wings close to campus you've got to have Murphy's Teriyaki-Bourbon wings, Chipotle BBQ wings, and Murphy's Cheese Fries. Mr. Original's Gyros is one of my favorite places to eat in Boone with excellent hot subs and a variety of Greek food (just be prepared for wait as the service is pretty slow but the Pepper Steak sub makes up for that. As many have mentioned, Woodlands in Blowing Rock is good, but I prefer the wings over the BBQ (Jim's Sauce is a must try).

Here is a good site with a good layout of many of the things you can do while visiting Boone and the surrounding areas.
http://www.exploreboonearea.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

Apphole
July 10th, 2012, 10:36 AM
30's and 40's and all of us like to party... My demographic is usually 20 something women who make poor decisions and have severe daddy issues!.. but I will strain or make due with what I get hanging with 40 year olds... oh and I forgot one of us is probably in their 60's so he will probably need some early bird specials.

Thanks for the info!

In that case Boone Saloon, Murphy's, and Porto's should be more your speed. You might like tApp Room and Town Tavern, but it will be almost exclusively students and it might take you a while to get a beer.

Char and Pauluccies are boni fide night clubs if you wanted to see some real craziness. Pauluccies (referred to as POW or POWPOW) is better IMO. Friday at POW is 1 2 3 night. Dollar beers, $2 shots and $3 mixed drinks.

tApp Room is my spot. Cool people, good beer and good times.

Come gameday, make sure you take a long walking tour of most of the tailgating. It's pretty vast. There are a ton of cool tailgate vehicles that people have outfitted. The main student lot is on River St and is more of an outdoor party than a traditional tailgate. If you walk through there you're likely to catch some heat for your Montana garb. Everywhere else, where the crowd is older, you will be treated like a king. I'm not sure where I'll be (I'm in that awkward just finished college stage), but I will feed you if I have food and I will certainly share my moonshine.

Grizcountry420
July 10th, 2012, 11:28 AM
How's the sticky green situation down there?

Apphole
July 10th, 2012, 11:40 AM
How's the sticky green situation down there?

They don't call it the HIGH Country (THC) for nothing.

Best headshops in NC as well. (Yes, I've been to Asheville many times) There's about 7 in town, 4 of which are on King St.

ElonFirefighter
July 10th, 2012, 11:48 AM
They don't call it the HIGH Country (THC) for nothing.

Best headshops in NC as well. (Yes, I've been to Asheville many times) There's about 7 in town, 4 of which are on King St.

In Asheville pottery is not just a hobby with clay.

Grizcountry420
July 10th, 2012, 11:58 AM
It sound like Asheville and Missoula are a lot alike. There's about that many in town too. We use to have a bunch of pot shops in town but the feds keeping coming in and shutting them down..

FormerPokeCenter
July 10th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Boone's a beautiful place...we explored the parkway and hiked up to Linville Falls an the Linville Gorge....fun place....whatever you do, don't miss the opportunity to go traipsing up the mountains....the viaduct along Grandfather Mountain is pretty cool to look at....

Here's a shot of GF Mountain from along the parkway...

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/18936_257066133405_5675308_n.jpg

There are actually two waterfalls at Linville falls....here's a view from across the gorge....

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/18936_257069718405_140844_n.jpg

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/18936_257069723405_5294650_n.jpg

Here's a closer shot....

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/18936_257069733405_1481336_n.jpg

Here's a shot of the gorge, itself, with an ugly McNeese fan in the foreground....That rock was literally a couple of hundred feet off the gorge floor, and yes, those are tree tops just behind the rock...that step woulda been a doozy!

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/18936_257066158405_3448895_n.jpg

Here's a shot of the falls at the upper pool, which is kinda visible in the background of the first shot, above...just ignore the blue visual element to the right, standing in stark contrast to the natural beauty behind ;)

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/18936_257066143405_6879470_n.jpg

clenz
July 10th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Went to Boone for the YSU Vs App State game in 2006. People were very friendly and wish we could play more often. Believe it or not Boone is only 7.5 hour drive from Y-Town, which is much closer than almost all of the Missouri Valley conference opponents. The closest opponent is Indiana State and it is a 6.5 hour drive.

YSU TO THE SOCON!!!!!!!!!!!

Apphole
July 10th, 2012, 12:08 PM
It sound like Asheville and Missoula are a lot alike. There's about that many in town too. We use to have a bunch of pot shops in town but the feds keeping coming in and shutting them down..

Boone? Did you just hit the bong? xsmiley_wix

TheRevSFA
July 10th, 2012, 12:27 PM
You always go to the spot where the Road Rules kids had to jump into the lake to get their key for the Winnebago....

whoanellie
July 10th, 2012, 12:33 PM
from the Boone locals I do not see the "Mountaineer Inn" listed as must go to place. This was a no-brainer for Country-style sampling for Breakfast or Dinner.
Is this place still open? Also my App-Grad Brother loved to go to Pepper's . What's the deal there now?
Do you have a 5 Guys in Boone yet?

boonegoon
July 10th, 2012, 12:36 PM
from the Boone locals I do not see the "Mountaineer Inn" listed as must go to place. This was a no-brainer for Country-style sampling for Breakfast or Dinner.
Is this place still open? Also my App-Grad Brother loved to go to Pepper's . What's the deal there now?

Pepper's is still good. Actually, 5 guys just came in basically right next to Pepper's

PAllen
July 10th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Get out.

Seriously though, I used to have to travel from Charlotte to Sparta a ton for work. Not a bad drive, and down right beautiful country once you get of the highway.

asucrutch23
July 10th, 2012, 12:40 PM

Are you thinking of Daniel Boone Inn? It's still there. I think the consensus is that it is too overpriced/overrated and you can get more good country cookin' for your money at Mountain House.

ASUMountaineer
July 10th, 2012, 12:41 PM
You always go to the spot where the Road Rules kids had to jump into the lake to get their key for the Winnebago....

I was there, and have pictures of it somewhere. That's hilarious that you brought that up.

Apphole
July 10th, 2012, 12:43 PM

Yes, unfortunately. The Ten Balls in Boone isn't as good as the Ten Balls I've been to in Charlotte. If you want a burger go to Comeback Shack. All local ingredients and they even have a drive through. Much better than any Ten Balls. Or any other Franchise restaurant for that matter.

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 12:51 PM

Thanks

1. You somehow ended up in Boone, NC -- kill yourself.

asumike83
July 10th, 2012, 12:56 PM
1. You somehow ended up in Boone, NC -- kill yourself.

Not an uncommon reaction when you see Boone and realize you have to go back to Minnesota.

Apphole
July 10th, 2012, 12:58 PM
1. You somehow ended up in Boone, NC -- kill Yosef.

No! Not Yosef!

http://admissions.appstate.edu/sites/default/files/pictures/picture-21.jpg

ElonFirefighter
July 10th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Not an uncommon reaction when you see Boone and realize you have to go back to Minnesota.

Come on mike you need to say it right Minn-naa-sooooo-taaaa xlolx

Apphole
July 10th, 2012, 01:00 PM
It would be a difficult transition having to eat really good food in Boone. After all, the usual thing to do up in Fargo is to dig a hole, put fish in it, piss in it, come back a few months later, dig it up and eat it. As soon as he tastes Woodland's BBQ he's gonna throw himself off of Howard's Knob.

ElonFirefighter
July 10th, 2012, 01:01 PM
No! Not Yosef!

http://admissions.appstate.edu/sites/default/files/pictures/picture-21.jpg

He looks familiar, wheres his pan and hes lost a little color

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slideshows/630/slideshow_63052/display_image.jpg?x=768911

Apphole
July 10th, 2012, 01:03 PM
He looks familiar, wheres his pan and hes lost a little color

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slideshows/630/slideshow_63052/display_image.jpg?x=768911

Plagiarism. They invented a soulless mascot just like they fabricated a fake history. Norm the Niner is Yosef's bitch/nephew with Downs Syndrome.

ElonFirefighter
July 10th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Plagiarism. They invented a soulless mascot just like they fabricated a fake history. Norm the Niner is Yosef's bitch/nephew with Downs Syndrome.

xlolxxlolxxlolx thats the funniest thing ive heard all day xlolxxlolxxlolx

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Both of their pupils are massively dilated.

I assume it's from years of painkiller abuse.

Eaglesrus
July 10th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Are you thinking of Daniel Boone Inn? It's still there. I think the consensus is that it is too overpriced/overrated and you can get more good country cookin' for your money at Mountain House.

I agree with that thought about the Daniel Boone Inn. Wasn't impressed at all and had to wait in line about 30 minutes before we were able to get in to find that out.

Apphole
July 10th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Both of their pupils are massively dilated.

I assume it's from years of painkiller abuse.

Norm the Niner is on Shrooms in this picture. He needs hallucinogens to give him the enthusiasm necessary to cheer for UNCC, a task that otherwise be impossible.
Yosef has beady little eyes that come only from mowing down opposing mascots with musketry and overwhelming manliness.

Mntneer
July 10th, 2012, 01:19 PM

We enjoy the breakfast at DBI a lot, though I haven't eaten there for anything else in many years. Mountain House is decent eats also, though nothing spectacular IMO.

Another place I haven't seen mentioned is Storie Street Grill in downtown Blowing Rock. It's a bit pricey but thoroughly excellent in my experience.

Skjellyfetti
July 10th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Mountain House sucks, imo.

Go to Melanie's or Boone Bagelry for breakfast.

Go Apps
July 10th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Things to do - head to Twisted Falls - just up 321 across the Tennessee state line - a hike well worth a slide and drop down a 35ft waterfall !!!

asumike83
July 10th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Mountain House sucks, imo.

Go to Melanie's or Boone Bagelry for breakfast.

In one day, I have neglected to mention The Game Keeper for restaurants to try and Melanie's among breakfast joints. I have officially been out of Boone for way too long.

Go Apps
July 10th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Other -

-Get a pair of Boots from Watsonatta, get some candy from the Original Mast General Store in VC, drink a beer at the Klondike, have dinner at Red Onion!

Eaglesrus
July 10th, 2012, 02:06 PM
We stay outside of Boone and therefore don't usually eat too many meals there, but we always try to have breakfast at the Sunrise Grill at least once each trip. It's nothing overly special, but its always been good.

AppStateold299
July 10th, 2012, 02:09 PM

I think you are referring to the "Daniel Boone Inn" and yes it is still there. It is great if you like the wait. The best way to enjoy this is to get it to go. You get 2 pieces of chicken, 2 sides, dessert, and 2 ham biscuits for around $8. It is more if you go in and sit and takes a lot longer too.

As far as going to a chain restaurant. Why? You can go to a chain any time. Why not go to a local place that you can only get there. I promise you will not be disappointed.

boonegoon
July 10th, 2012, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the info!

5 - 5:30 at Casa Rustica has early bird special. 2 dollars off entree, and you can now spend that cash on a decent liquor drink.

mocman1990
July 10th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Things to do In Boone Before You're Dead

Win a game. :)

AshevilleApp2
July 10th, 2012, 02:53 PM
It would be a difficult transition having to eat really good food in Boone. After all, the usual thing to do up in Fargo is to dig a hole, put fish in it, piss in it, come back a few months later, dig it up and eat it. As soon as he tastes Woodland's BBQ he's gonna throw himself off of Howard's Knob.

Sorry again, but Woodlands BBQ isn't very good.

Apphole
July 10th, 2012, 02:54 PM

Blasphemy

cbarrier90
July 10th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Gonna get blasted for this, but Daniel Boone Inn isn't THAT good. You're paying more for the ambience and the "old school, country" feel than for the food.

Woodland's is very good. Also in Blowing Rock, if you're looking for dessert, Kilwin's Fudge has amazing ice cream and fudge.

Blowing Rock is a smaller version of Boone if Boone didn't have ASU.

Love Come Back Shack but Five Guys burgers are much better. Come Back Shack has the edge in local flair, drive thru, and variety (fries are the same, though CBS has their amazing Come Back Sauce.)

AshevilleApp2
July 10th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Blasphemy

Truth

ASUMountaineer
July 10th, 2012, 03:47 PM

I agree. Pappy's in Banner Elk is better, IMO.

Of course, I still enjoy Woodlands.

Apphole
July 10th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I agree. Pappy's in Banner Elk is better, IMO.

Of course, I still enjoy Woodlands.

Pappy's is gone. It's called Frontier BBQ now. Still pretty good. Not as good as Woodlands though. No live music either.

boogereagle
July 10th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Things to do in Boone before you're dead?

I don't know, what -- get the hell out?

boonegoon
July 10th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Pappy's is gone. It's called Frontier BBQ now. Still pretty good. Not as good as Woodlands though. No live music either.

Having spent my formative years in Boone and spending many, many days at Woodland's post-hike or whatnot, that place has a very special place in my heart. That being said, Woodland's is average at best. Come to Asheville and I'll take you to 12 Bones.

walliver
July 10th, 2012, 05:10 PM

Actually, Josef is his daddy and his uncle.

AppMan
July 10th, 2012, 06:26 PM

Good to know I'm I not the only one who doesn't like Woodlands BBQ. Once you've tasted Lexington Q, everything else is just pork.

cbarrier90
July 10th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Is there really such a thing as "bad" BBQ?

AppMan
July 10th, 2012, 06:37 PM

Thanks

If you are looking for a little slower pace I suggest you stay 8 miles away in Blowing Rock. If you fly into Greenville / Spartanburg I'd take I-85 north to Gastonia then 321 north. Numerous Bed & Breakfast lodges and small locally owned hotels. There is also a newly remodeled HI Express and if you want to go upscale try out the Chetola Resort. Great shopping for the gals, downtown & at Shoppes on the Parkway and a lot of good spots to eat within walking distance. The park on main street -in the middle of town - is a great place to hang out and relax. My favorite spot for home cooked southern style meals is Knights on Main. Canyons is another good spot and has a great view. If you have the time pass on the Daniel Boone Inn and make the hour drive to Shatley Springs in Crumpler. Family style dinning and it is well worth it. The country ham can NOT be beat and you can eat until you can't eat any longer. Reservations are a must unless you have a lot of time to kill. If you use map quest part of the trip will take you on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Here is a link to BR accomodations and resturants. Hope you enjoy your trip to Boone! Stop by and introduce yourselves to us in the Justice Lot as you are walking up Stadium Drive between three dorms, spaces 1 & 2. We have a family tailgate with young kids and no alcoholic beverages, but we'll feed you some mighty good grub!

Here is a link to Blowing Rock accomodations and resturants. http://blowingrock.com/members.list.php?cID=43

http://www.shatleysprings.com/history.htm

AppMan
July 10th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Is there really such a thing as "bad" BBQ?

You do make a good point. Can't say I've ever met a plate of pork I couldn't force down.

Ivytalk
July 10th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Boone is not on my bucket list. Is this a joke?

Mntneer
July 10th, 2012, 06:47 PM
It's very possible to both like Woodlands and not think it's really great barbecue. I myself fall into that camp.

boonegoon
July 10th, 2012, 07:27 PM
It's very possible to both like Woodlands and not think it's really great barbecue. I myself fall into that camp.

That about sums it up for me. Just don't say you go there for the corn.

AshevilleApp2
July 11th, 2012, 06:58 AM

I can agree with this. I've had some great times at Woodlands.

AshevilleApp2
July 11th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Boone is not on my bucket list. Is this a joke?

You ought to show up IT. This might be a good party! xnodx

Milktruck74
July 11th, 2012, 07:37 AM
I didn't see the Jackie Gleason @ McAdoo's, or Stick Boy Bread. Also, how would a trip to the High Country be complete without a trip to Tweetsy and Mystery Hill? You gotta drop a ton of money on carnival rides and a tilted house that "Defies Gravity".

ASUMountaineer
July 11th, 2012, 07:42 AM

Wow. I did not know that. Just ate there last year. Their website is still up. I wonder if Frontier is as good.

ASUMountaineer
July 11th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Things to do in Boone before you're dead?

I don't know, what -- get the hell out?

No, that's Dayton, OH.

ASUMountaineer
July 11th, 2012, 07:45 AM
No, that's Dayton, OH.

Scratch that, all of Ohio.

Apphole
July 11th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Wow. I did not know that. Just ate there last year. Their website is still up. I wonder if Frontier is as good.

I never made it to Pappy's. Frontier has some decent Q (a little expensive), but I won't be back because of how rude the lady that took my to go order was last time. It was ridiculous. I called the manager.

Skjellyfetti
July 11th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Have y'all ever eaten barbecue at the little gas station on 105 in Foscoe on the way toward Banner Elk? Surprisingly pretty good.

asucrutch23
July 11th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Speaking of barbecue, it seems like when discussing Boone cuisine that Bandana's Barbecue is always left off. I've only been once and honestly do not remember whether I liked it or not. Seems like I would have been back if I did. Any Bandana's fans among the App contingent?

AppStateold299
July 11th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Speaking of barbecue, it seems like when discussing Boone cuisine that Bandana's Barbecue is always left off. I've only been once and honestly do not remember whether I liked it or not. Seems like I would have been back if I did. Any Bandana's fans among the App contingent?

Their BBQ is horrible. I have to say I don't mind Murphy's BBQ. One of the main reasons is you get their cheese fries with the BBQ. You also get a great atmosphere if you like dive bars. The great thing too is it doesn't matter if you are 18 (supposedly 21) or 80, everyone is welcome and accepted there.

FormerPokeCenter
July 11th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I didn't see the Jackie Gleason @ McAdoo's, or Stick Boy Bread. Also, how would a trip to the High Country be complete without a trip to Tweetsy and Mystery Hill? You gotta drop a ton of money on carnival rides and a tilted house that "Defies Gravity".

I forgot about Tweetsy....yeah, that's an obligatory stop....

Apphole
July 11th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I forgot about Tweetsy....yeah, that's an obligatory stop....

Tweetsy blows. Go to Grandfather

asucrutch23
July 11th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Their BBQ is horrible. I have to say I don't mind Murphy's BBQ. One of the main reasons is you get their cheese fries with the BBQ. You also get a great atmosphere if you like dive bars. The great thing too is it doesn't matter if you are 18 (supposedly 21) or 80, everyone is welcome and accepted there.

Well that answers that. I figured as much.

KNUTS
July 11th, 2012, 09:57 AM

I think Murphys might have to be our base of operation while in Boone. I only like dive bars and cheese fries are a staple of my diet and ratings of an establishment. I really hope that we can pull this off, because from the people I met in Chatty from ASU and most of the people here on the board it sounds like Montanans and Boonians have a lot in common.

asumike83
July 11th, 2012, 10:02 AM
I think Murphys might have to be our base of operation while in Boone. I only like dive bars and cheese fries are a staple of my diet and ratings of an establishment. I really hope that we can pull this off, because from the people I met in Chatty from ASU and most of the people here on the board it sounds like Montanans and Boonians have a lot in common.

We like to party, which is an excellent common ground.

If you like dive bars and cheese fries, there is no better place for you in Boone than Murphy's. You'll see everything from college kids to townies and all types in between. Beer is cheap, they have live music some nights and there is always pool and shuffleboard to pass the time. Cheese fries and chicken wings are excellent.

Apphole
July 11th, 2012, 10:05 AM
We like to party, which is an excellent common ground.

If you like dive bars and cheese fries, there is no better place for you in Boone than Murphy's. You'll see everything from college kids to townies and all types in between. Beer is cheap, they have live music some nights and there is always pool and shuffleboard to pass the time. Cheese fries and chicken wings are excellent.

Too many hippies for my taste. I've only been a few times and it was just for the music.

PAllen
July 11th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Yes, unfortunately. The Ten Balls in Boone isn't as good as the Ten Balls I've been to in Charlotte. If you want a burger go to Comeback Shack. All local ingredients and they even have a drive through. Much better than any Ten Balls. Or any other Franchise restaurant for that matter.

Uh, we aren't talking about Kansas City, so I'm not so sure I'd want the "local ingredients" ;)

NDB
July 11th, 2012, 11:48 AM
There are a lot of great ideas on here, but how long until a visitor to Boone dies? Minutes? Hours? Days?

This will help with planning.

NDB

GlassOnion
July 11th, 2012, 11:54 AM
There are a lot of great ideas on here, but how long until a visitor to Boone dies? Minutes? Hours? Days?

NDB

When the game clock hits 00:00, if you arent leveled by Jeremy Kimbrough first.

AppStateold299
July 11th, 2012, 12:17 PM

The cheese fries are chunks with ranch underneath them and a layer of melted cheese on top. I am salivating just thinking about them. That is an awesome base of operation. I'm not saying don't go to other places because there are a lot of great places there but you can never go wrong with Montana. I will be there after the game playing shuffleboard most likely. Hope to see you there!

Apphole
July 11th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Make sure you go to Hot Diggity Dog and get the doughnut burger. They cut the doughnut in half, toast the inner side and turn the sticky side in. It's a bacon cheeseburger. HDD is right across the street from Boone Saloon and they're open till 4 a.m. An undergrad at App owns and runs the place.

CID1990
July 11th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Take the kids to Tweetsie.

Ivytalk
July 11th, 2012, 04:06 PM
You ought to show up IT. This might be a good party! xnodx

I'd love to see a game there sometime. I have been to Asheville, and it's a nice area.

App-a-latch-un
July 11th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Sledge Hammer Charlies was the best bbq in town, they're closed now. There really isn't a great bbq place anymore. If you must have it, I'd say go to Woodlands. Bandanas is absolute crap, just terrible, children cry at the sight of their dried out chicken and pork. Murphy's believe it or not has a pretty awesome bbq plate, it's 9 bucks and comes with 2 sides, which you can get the cheese fries and something else...I get the gouda mac n'cheese a lot too. Def wings and cheese fries at Murphy's though, they have the best pizza value in Boone too.

**Daniel Boone Inn is the most overrated attraction in Boone, skip it.**

ursus arctos horribilis
August 14th, 2012, 08:22 PM
OK, Booneians so if we have a get together on Friday Night @ around 7p local time at Murphy's how many of ya's can show up?

Here's the list starter:

Ursus
KNUTS
Grizo406
alphagriz1
Ellsworthgriz
Griz0383

Might get some shirts made up for the Greenville & Boone get togethers so if ya want one let me know it looks like they'll be about $10-12 each and have the names listed of the event attendees.

Mr. C
August 14th, 2012, 09:34 PM
You can count Mr. C in, Ursus. The interesting thing about Murphy's is that is was the longtime offices of the Watauga Democrat newspaper. The refrigerator at Murphy's is located where Mr. C's personal office used to be.

Some of my favorites (and not-so-favorites) for food:

1. I'm a big fan of Pepper's for lunch. Wish they would bring back Cajun Night and start serving Alligator again.
2. If you like breakfast pastry, you need to grab some Stick Buns at Stick Boy, located on the edge of the ASU campus.
3. You'll get plenty of food to get your day started at the Mountain House.
4. Makoto's is great for Japanese cuisine and Sushi. It is also a fun place to take kids.
5. Used to love China Buffet on Blowing Rock Road (Highway 321, near the mall), but a change of ownership has caused it to go way downhill. Bandana's was good before the original owner, my friend Brent, died of cancer and the family sold it. It has been pretty mediocre since then.
6. Casa Rustica was mentioned. Some locals like it, we never did. I would call it Faux Italian. Boone has never had a really good Italian place in the past 20 years.
7. The Speckled Trout in Blowing Rock was a place we would go for special dinners and if you don't mind a bit of a drive, the Gamekeeper is outstanding and has a very original menu.
8. Hunan's has always been a place I like to go for Chinese food.
9. There is a hole in the wall hot dog place on King Street in downtown Boone that is worth the effort to find, if you suddenly get hungry while shopping.
10. The Dan'l Boone Inn, even though it is named for one of Mr. C's kinfolks, is a tourist trap. The locals RARELY eat there. Overpriced, mediocre food (though with the family-style menu there is a lot of it) and long, long lines to get in.
11. Montana's team will likely be staying in Banner Elk. There are a lot of good restaurants around that area, about a half-hour away from Boone.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 14th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks fro the info. Mr. C, am I to assume I should add your name to the list of attendees?

Grizo406
August 14th, 2012, 10:27 PM
OK, Booneians so if we have a get together on Friday Night @ around 7p local time at Murphy's how many of ya's can show up?

Here's the list starter:

Ursus
KNUTS
Grizo406
alphagriz1
Ellsworthgriz
Griz0383

Might get some shirts made up for the Greenville & Boone get togethers so if ya want one let me know it looks like they'll be about $10-12 each and have the names listed of the event attendees.

I'll want a shirt, but it'll have to be XL...I like my t-shirts extra tight!xnodx

Also, if names are gonna' be on the back, I'd prefer mine saying: "Mr. Grizo406".

Emphasis on the "Mr.".

Thank you, Ursus...you're doing a fine job!

ASU_Fanatic
August 15th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Having spent my formative years in Boone and spending many, many days at Woodland's post-hike or whatnot, that place has a very special place in my heart. That being said, Woodland's is average at best. Come to Asheville and I'll take you to 12 Bones.
Being a huge ribs fan I ate at 12 bones a month or two ago and was highly disappointed. They don't compare to Woodlands.

To this Montana fan definitely eat at Woodlands, it's top-notch. I also love Macadoo's and if you go get a cinnamon bun it's one of my favorite treats in Boone. Bars and stuff, well, I'm really no help lol. I would suggest a little hike or something one day if it's nice

T-Dog
August 15th, 2012, 03:09 AM

Here's the list starter:

Ursus
KNUTS
Grizo406
alphagriz1
Ellsworthgriz
Griz0383

I shall partake in this great gathering.

AshevilleApp2
August 15th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Being a huge ribs fan I ate at 12 bones a month or two ago and was highly disappointed. They don't compare to Woodlands.

To this Montana fan definitely eat at Woodlands, it's top-notch. I also love Macadoo's and if you go get a cinnamon bun it's one of my favorite treats in Boone. Bars and stuff, well, I'm really no help lol. I would suggest a little hike or something one day if it's nice

You are correct about 12 bones, and you are wrong about Woodlands (at least as far as ribs/q goes). Decent burgers though, and a good atmosphere, from what I remember.

AshevilleApp2
August 15th, 2012, 06:40 AM
I'll be at Murphy's. Extra large shirt.

MarkCCU/Ibanez will also be present I assume, but doesn't post here often.

asu3peat
August 15th, 2012, 07:17 AM
I'll try to make it to the Murphy's soiree.

Apphole
August 15th, 2012, 08:08 AM
I'll be stopping by Murphy's mid art crawl with a small entourage. Hoping to see some Grizitors tailgating as well.

cbarrier90
August 15th, 2012, 08:35 AM
**Daniel Boone Inn is the most overrated attraction in Boone, skip it.**

THANK YOU! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

I live a block away from Murphy's so I might just have to stop by...

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 15th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I know a couple of things I am going to do in Boone, for legal reasons I wont tell you what one of them is, but the second one is the historic AG1 victory dance. I may do it all the way down the mountain.

I am very sure there are a couple of woman there that will be making some bad decisions and I will be the beneficiary. I also want to know why Grizo is getting an XL shirt? Who is going to wear that for him?

ASUG8
August 15th, 2012, 10:56 AM

+1, probably +2

ASUG8
August 15th, 2012, 10:56 AM

+1, probably +2

ursus arctos horribilis
August 15th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Here's the list so far:

Travelers

ursus arctos horribilis
KNUTS
ALPHAGRIZ1
Ellsworthgriz
Griz0383
MarkCCU

Grizo406

Locals

asumike83
ASUG8
asu3peat
AshevilleApp2
T-Dog
Apphole
cbarrier90
Mr. C

If you are showing say so. We might need to have a count or something else along those lines so help with the plan.

If you are on the list and not showing please let me know that as well.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 15th, 2012, 12:12 PM
I put that list in the first post of the thread as well for easy lookup if you need to see who you are avoiding by not showing.

Apphole
August 15th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Here's the list so far:

Travelers

ursus arctos horribilis
KNUTS
ALPHAGRIZ1
Ellsworthgriz
Griz0383
MarkCCU

Grizo406

Locals

asumike83
ASUG8
asu3peat
AshevilleApp2
T-Dog
Apphole
cbarrier90
Mr. C

If you are showing say so. We might need to have a count or something else along those lines so help with the plan.

That place is gonna be packed even without the AGS group coming, just FYI. Hell, every single place on King St is gonna be packed on Friday night. Hopefully we can slip in between the dinner crowd and the bar crowd. There's a big long bar/table on the back patio that might be a good place for the group. I'd give them a call.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 15th, 2012, 12:32 PM
That place is gonna be packed even without the AGS group coming, just FYI. Hell, every single place on King St is gonna be packed on Friday night. Hopefully we can slip in between the dinner crowd and the bar crowd. There's a big long bar/table on the back patio that might be a good place for the group. I'd give them a call.

Called yesterday and was gonna call back today so wanted to see about what we were looking at for peoples.

asumike83
August 15th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Can't wait! Not sure that I will be there right at 7PM since I'm driving up after work but I will definitely partake.

Grizaddicted
August 15th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Would love to meet up with you all Friday night, five in our group, flying in early in the week, hanging with friends then driving from Columbus on Friday. Better let you know know we do admit at times to being friends with PolsonGriz...take that as you may!

Anywhere, anytime...Go Griz!

cbarrier90
August 15th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Do we have a set time? Or something that says "Hey, this is the AGS crew..."

Grizaddicted
August 15th, 2012, 01:40 PM

Looks like 7...

Apphole
August 15th, 2012, 01:41 PM

It's 7 pm. And I'm looking for a big cartoon bear to know who's who.

How does this work anyway? Do I introduce my self as apphole? It is going to be weird to put faces with AGS handles.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 15th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Would love to meet up with you all Friday night, five in our group, flying in early in the week, hanging with friends then driving from Columbus on Friday. Better let you know know we do admit at times to being friends with PolsonGriz...take that as you may!

Well, Pols was actually supposed to be in our MT group until he backed out like a bitch because of some cooking class.

We're getting in to Greenville on Wednesday and having a party there on Thursday night with App/Furman/Wofford fans as well so you might want to check for the "Upstate Gathering" thread in case you could hit that as well.

So you will be at Murphy's? I'll put you on the list as a +4,5, what is it?

Mitch...what a dick.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 15th, 2012, 01:49 PM
It's 7 pm. And I'm looking for a big cartoon bear to know who's who.

How does this work anyway? Do I introduce my self as apphole? It is going to be weird to put faces with AGS handles.

This is how I usually do it. Just substitue "Inigo Montoya" with "ursus" and "you killed my father" with "I remember everything you've ever said about me online".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JGp7Meg42U

Grizaddicted
August 15th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Well, Pols was actually supposed to be in our MT group until he backed out like a bitch because of some cooking class.

We're getting in to Greenville on Wednesday and having a party there on Thursday night with App/Furman/Wofford fans as well so you might want to check for the "Upstate Gathering" thread in case you could hit that as well.

So you will be at Murphy's? I'll put you on the list as a +4,5, what is it?

Mitch...what a dick.

Actually he is a major asshole, and a bitch...bitchy asshole...but we all should have one as a friend, keeps us grounded!

Better do three total for Murphy's...two will be late in getting in. Cheese fries and wings...perfect combo!

Will check out the Greenville function...never such a thing as too much partying!

Apphole
August 15th, 2012, 01:59 PM
This is how I usually do it. Just substitue "Inigo Montoya" with "ursus" and "you killed my father" with "I remember everything you've ever said about me online".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JGp7Meg42U

Oh ok. You'll be able to tell it's me because I have 6 fingers on one of my hands

ursus arctos horribilis
August 15th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Oh ok. You'll be able to tell it's me because I have 6 fingers on one of my hands

Wow, that's a major coincidence.

Stay away from Grizo cuz I have a feeling he is gonna be a big fan of yours.

Apphole
August 15th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Wow, that's a major coincidence.

Stay away from Grizo cuz I have a feeling he is gonna be a big fan of yours.

Let me guess, he's the one that the fap fap fap sound is coming from.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 15th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Not anymore............

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

boonegoon
August 15th, 2012, 03:51 PM

That's too bad. Top-notch is a stretch but whatever. I think Woodlands sauce makes the pork taste like a Penrose sausage. I dug those as a kid but I don't want my smoked pork tasting like it.

boonegoon
August 15th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Here's the list so far:

Travelers

ursus arctos horribilis
KNUTS
ALPHAGRIZ1
Ellsworthgriz
Griz0383
MarkCCU

Grizo406

Locals

asumike83
ASUG8
asu3peat
AshevilleApp2
T-Dog
Apphole
cbarrier90
Mr. C

I may just make it. I hope

ursus arctos horribilis
August 15th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Guys, have you ever tried to organize anything on "maybe's" and "I hope's".xlolx

I'll put it down when you know you can make it and if that doesn't happen until that day then we'll have to see what can be arranged.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 15th, 2012, 04:36 PM
..........call me....................maybe?

asumike83
August 15th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Guys, have you ever tried to organize anything on "maybe's" and "I hope's".xlolx

I'll put it down when you know you can make it and if that doesn't happen until that day then we'll have to see what can be arranged.

In the interest of potentially saving you some hassle, Murphy's is a really laid back joint so the planning may not have to be too precise for this shindig. I will definitely be stopping by and while my better half unfortunately has a bridal shower or some such nonsense, I may have some friends tag along who will be game-time decisions.

Personally, I don't need to have a seat at a table or anything like that and between folks going to the bar, playing pool or shuffleboard, etc., we may be all over the place anyhow. It is pretty much a free-for-all there on Friday nights, so it shouldn't be a problem to accommodate the last minute folks. If you call ahead for a set number and we have more people show up, it should be no problem at all. After spending the day seated at work and in the car, I'll be perfectly happy to stand most of the evening.

boonegoon
August 15th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Sorry about the maybe but my wife is running in a relay Friday/Saturday. If she isn't running during that time or near it I will be there.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, then everyday would be Christmas.

Grizo406
August 15th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Here's the list so far:

Travelers

ursus arctos horribilis
KNUTS
ALPHAGRIZ1
Ellsworthgriz
Griz0383
MarkCCU

Grizo406

Locals

asumike83
ASUG8
asu3peat
AshevilleApp2
T-Dog
Apphole
cbarrier90
Mr. C

Don't you listen?

As I said earlier, alpha is listed too F'n high! Now, he's moved up a slot?!!?xcrazyx

WTF is up with that?

KNUTS
August 16th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Sorry about the maybe but my wife is running in a relay Friday/Saturday. If she isn't running during that time or near it I will be there.

If ifs and buts were candy and KNUTS, then everyday would be Christmas.

fify

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 16th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Grizo, I am right about where I should be this time of year. I dominate year after year for decades and it shows. Just be lucky you are even on the list.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

AppMan
August 17th, 2012, 11:30 PM
If anyone is staying in Banner Elk with the team Stone Walls serves the best prime rib and steaks around. Uncle Lee's Barbecue in the Old Hampton Store on Ruffin St in Linville is hands down the best BBQ in the area.

EllsworthGriz
August 20th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Three things that I hoped for when I signed up to go to Boone is to drink beer with some cool FCS fans, watch a great game between two great FCS programs, and try Moonshine for the first time. Apphole you had me a moonshine. See you all in few weeks. Go Griz

StorminASU
August 21st, 2012, 08:21 AM
If anyone is staying in Banner Elk with the team Stone Walls serves the best prime rib and steaks around. Uncle Lee's Barbecue in the Old Hampton Store on Ruffin St in Linville is hands down the best BBQ in the area.

The place that just replaced "Porky's" (Now Frontier BBQ) is pretty close now. I always thought Old Hampton's was some of the best too, but Frontier is making a run for it. With everything else they offer, I would say they have the title already. You'll have to try it if you come up through Linville.

Apphole
August 21st, 2012, 09:27 AM
If you're staying in Banner Elk or Linville you must try the Painted Fish. Best restaurant I've ever been to. I didn't mention it before because it's pretty far from Boone, but if you're already in the area it's a must. Be sure to make a reservation and try the Krispy Kreme Cheesecake with Bacon Glaze for desert.

ASUG8
August 21st, 2012, 09:30 AM
For breakfast, take the 8 mile trip to Blowing Rock and eat at Knight's on Main. Liver mush, biscuits, sausage gravy, fried potatoes, bacon, sausage......mmmm.

ASUMountaineer
August 21st, 2012, 02:29 PM
For breakfast, take the 8 mile trip to Blowing Rock and eat at Knight's on Main. Liver mush, biscuits, sausage gravy, fried potatoes, bacon, sausage......mmmm.

xnodx

SpeedkingATL
August 21st, 2012, 02:33 PM

+1