PDA

View Full Version : Northern Colorado signs deal with New Balance

ncbears
June 27th, 2006, 01:25 PM
UNC athletics have signed a deal with New Balance. They'll furnish our uniforms and shoes. Sounds like a good deal because it takes a finincial burden off our shoulders because we will get huge discounts. Sounds like a good move for us! Although I have never seen New Balance uniforms. Any other 1AA teams have NB??

Link:
http://uncbears.cstv.com/genrel/062706aab.html

WMTribe90
June 27th, 2006, 01:43 PM
WM has a contract for Nike shoes and uniforms. I've seen other teams with adidas or reebok. NB makes a great running shoe, but I must admit I've never seen NB football cleats or uniforms before.

On a side note I'm excited for UNC first season in the Big Sky. I'm moving from Lakewood to Boulder soon and definitely plan on making a home game this fall to get my IAA fix locally.

MplsBison
June 27th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Reebok is gone.

Adidas bought them out.

I'd look for a lot more DI teams to start getting Adidas stuff as they'll likely be looking for more schools to compete against Nike and offering better deals than Nike.

Uncle Buck
June 27th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Not sure, but I know Hofstra is selling off their uni's and it's slightly rumored that addidas could be the new company. New Balance is something i have yet to see, but maybe they are looking to get into the market as well. I'm just hoping that HU changes their style of jersey, these past uni's were terrible.

TexasTerror
June 27th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Foot doctors recommend New Balance heavily...

Perhaps New Balance is trying to make an in to the market place and could get a big boom from this start in NoCo...

Hansel
June 28th, 2006, 06:47 AM
I wonder how excited recruits will be when they find out they will be wearing New Balance... better than Roos I guess

http://jut.net/shakesbeer/data/shoe.jpg

bunny
June 28th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Foot doctors recommend New Balance heavily...

Perhaps New Balance is trying to make an in to the market place and could get a big boom from this start in NoCo...

I love New Balance running shoes. As a company they are pretty responsible as shoe makers go; they have a commitment to manufacture a percentage of their shoes in the US and not in sweatshops.

However, I have not heard many positive things about their new cleats.

GeauxColonels
June 28th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Reebok is gone.

Adidas bought them out.

I'd look for a lot more DI teams to start getting Adidas stuff as they'll likely be looking for more schools to compete against Nike and offering better deals than Nike.
True they were bought out, but I don't think that Adidas is getting rid of the Reebok brand. The NFL is outfitted with Reebok apparel.

DaBears
June 28th, 2006, 11:59 AM
I wonder how excited recruits will be when they find out they will be wearing New Balance... better than Roos I guess

http://jut.net/shakesbeer/data/shoe.jpg

I can't speak for the new recruits but IMO New Balance makes the best running shoe which should translate into a good football cleat. I do remember when New Balance was thought of as a second class shoe but that all changed in the early 90's.

MplsBison
June 28th, 2006, 05:52 PM
True they were bought out, but I don't think that Adidas is getting rid of the Reebok brand. The NFL is outfitted with Reebok apparel.

So is the NBA and the NHL.

Adidas just signed an 11 year deal to be the official uniform maker for the NBA, WNBA, and NBDL.

The NHL and NFL could be next for all we know.

GeauxColonels
June 28th, 2006, 09:17 PM
So is the NBA and the NHL.

Adidas just signed an 11 year deal to be the official uniform maker for the NBA, WNBA, and NBDL.

The NHL and NFL could be next for all we know.
True, but Adidas is NOT getting rid of the Reebok brand. Here's a quote from an article on the Reebok site about the deal with the NBA/WNBA/NBDL:

The new merchandising relationship with adidas, a marketing partner of the NBA since 2002, comes as a result of the Group’s January 2006 acquisition of Reebok International Ltd., the NBA’s exclusive uniform and apparel provider since 2001 and includes rights to sell apparel as well as casual and performance footwear in the U.S., Canada, Europe, and Asia. The Reebok brand will continue to be a global marketing partner of the NBA and will maintain the ability to create NBA branded footwear.

http://www.reebok.com/useng/news/adidas+and+nba.htm

MplsBison
June 30th, 2006, 08:27 AM
OK, fair enough. They'll keep Reebok around for a while until Adidas gets more established in North America (the NBA deal will help and so would deals with the NHL and NFL).

But if they want to compete with Nike they'll need to axe Reebok sooner or later, and I think they will.

GeauxColonels
June 30th, 2006, 09:09 AM
OK, fair enough. They'll keep Reebok around for a while until Adidas gets more established in North America (the NBA deal will help and so would deals with the NHL and NFL).

But if they want to compete with Nike they'll need to axe Reebok sooner or later, and I think they will.
Maybe they will in the US, but globally, it's a strong enough brand that they will keep it around.