PDA

View Full Version : 2012 SoCon preseason picks

catamount man
July 6th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Pick with head and not with heart.;) GO CATS!

1) Georgia Southern
2) Wofford
3) Appalachian State
4) Chattanooga
5) Furman
6) Samford
7) The Citadel
8) Elon
9) Western Carolina (ahh......kills me to do that, but we gotta show on the field)

pleahy1
July 6th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I like the picks you have. I'd like to put Chattanooga higher, but until they show they can finish games they're not going to crack the top three

ElonFirefighter
July 6th, 2012, 10:56 AM
wow Elon 8th, I wouldn't pick us to win but mid pack atleast

Apphole
July 6th, 2012, 11:11 AM
1. App
2. GaSo
3. Nooga
4. Wofford
5. Furman
6. Citadel
7. Sammy
8. Elon
9. WCU

Not a homer pick at #1. With the defense we have returning and the chess master back behind the wheel, this will be a very competitive App squad. 1,2 and 3 could easily be interchangeable though.

ElonFirefighter
July 6th, 2012, 11:43 AM
1) Georgia Southern
2) Appalachian State
3) Wofford
4) Chattanooga
5) Elon/Furman
6) Elon/Furman
7) Samford
8) The Citadel
9) Western Carolina

cbarrier90
July 6th, 2012, 11:47 AM
1) Georgia Southern
2) Wofford
3) Appalachian State
4) Chattanooga
5) Furman
6) Samford
7) The Citadel
8) Elon
9) Western Carolina

We're a SLEEPER team! Excellent! xthumbsupx

Elon will be better than 8th IMO. Nice picks.

SpiritCymbal
July 6th, 2012, 11:53 AM
1) Appalachian State
2) Georgia Southern
3) Chattanooga
4) Wofford
5) Furman
6) Citadel
7) Samford
8) Elon
9) W. Carolina

Seven Would Be Nice
July 6th, 2012, 11:56 AM
1) Georgia Southern
2) Appalachian State
3) Wofford
4) Chattanooga
5) Furman
6) Citadel
7) Samford
8) Elon
9) W. Carolina

Sandlapper Spike
July 6th, 2012, 12:00 PM
1. Georgia Southern
2. Appalachian State
3. Wofford
4. Furman
5. The Citadel
6. Chattanooga
7. Elon
8. Samford
9. Western Carolina

Yes, I'm biased, but I think the Bulldogs are well-positioned for a move up the standings this year.

I think you could list 1-3 in any order and there isn't much to choose between 4 and 8. WCU is probably going to struggle again.

Seven Would Be Nice
July 6th, 2012, 12:14 PM
1. Georgia Southern
2. Appalachian State
3. Wofford
4. Furman
5. The Citadel
6. Chattanooga
7. Elon
8. Samford
9. Western Carolina

Yes, I'm biased, but I think the Bulldogs are well-positioned for a move up the standings this year.

I think you could list 1-3 in any order and there isn't much to choose between 4 and 8. WCU is probably going to struggle again.

I think The Citadel will surprise some teams this year. We were lucky to beat you guys last year. My buddy was standing under the uprights and saw that ball take a mean hook 15 yards out.

mocman1990
July 6th, 2012, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't put Chattanooga higher than 4th...I think they are capable of beating every team in the SoCon this year (especially getting GSU and ASU at home)...but ASU, GSU and Wofford have proven then can win big games...Chattanooga has only proven they can play most of the big boys close. But I am still very excited for the season as I think Chattanooga has a real shot at being worthy of a playoff spot.

mocman1990
July 6th, 2012, 12:21 PM
(and by saying "capable of beating every team in the SoCon"...I am not saying undefeated, I am saying that on any Saturday in the schedule this fall, Chattanooga is capable of winning)

PaladinFan
July 6th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't put Chattanooga higher than 4th...I think they are capable of beating every team in the SoCon this year (especially getting GSU and ASU at home)...but ASU, GSU and Wofford have proven then can win big games...Chattanooga has only proven they can play most of the big boys close. But I am still very excited for the season as I think Chattanooga has a real shot at being worthy of a playoff spot.

I cannot justify putting them ahead of Furman. FU beat them in Chattanooga last season and finished with a better record. On what grounds do you rank the Paladins behind them?

catamount man
July 6th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Trust me, it kills me to pick WCU last but I do believe better days are coming. We can't be this bad forever. Since 2006, it's just been a nightmare and WCU fans, alum, and friends have beat the dead horse as to WHY? for too long. We're gonna just sit back and see what Speir and his staff can do. GO CATS!

AshevilleApp2
July 6th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Trust me, it kills me to pick WCU last but I do believe better days are coming. We can't be this bad forever. Since 2006, it's just been a nightmare and WCU fans, alum, and friends have beat the dead horse as to WHY? for too long. We're gonna just sit back and see what Speir and his staff can do. GO CATS!

He's a good recruiter, you should see better days in the next few seasons.

SU_IT_able
July 6th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Pat Sullivan may have finally collected enough top shelf talent to make a run at a top three finish and a playoff bid. The only real question mark I have (and it's a big one) is QB. So, being a fan and an optimist, I'll jump in with both feet & say:

1. Appalachian State
2. Samford
3. Wofford
4. Georgia Southern
5. The Citadel
6. Chattanooga
7. Elon
8. Furman
9. Western Carolina

PaladinFan
July 6th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Pat Sullivan may have finally collected enough top shelf talent to make a run at a top three finish and a playoff bid. The only real question mark I have (and it's a big one) is QB. So, being a fan and an optimist, I'll jump in with both feet & say:

1. Appalachian State
2. Samford
3. Wofford
4. Georgia Southern
5. The Citadel
6. Chattanooga
7. Elon
8. Furman
9. Western Carolina

The Furman/Samford game in week one is of great importance for both teams. Both teams know that beating the other is essential to a playoff appearances, and puts a little less pressure to beat App, GSU, and Wofford. Huge game to start the season.

seantaylor
July 6th, 2012, 01:47 PM
1. GSU
2. Woffie
3. ASU
4. Sammy
5. Chatty
6. Furman
7. El Chit
8. Elon
9. WCU

SU_IT_able
July 6th, 2012, 02:05 PM
The Furman/Samford game in week one is of great importance for both teams. Both teams know that beating the other is essential to a playoff appearances, and puts a little less pressure to beat App, GSU, and Wofford. Huge game to start the season.

So true. If our QB has early season jitters or just never measures up, my prediction will look silly & it just might be Furman (or any of the other "middle of the pack" teams trying to make that move). I'd like to think we have enough to be there even with mediocre QB play, but if we have a major QB failure, all bets are off.

GSUhooligan
July 6th, 2012, 02:17 PM
1. GSU
2. Appy
3. WC
4. Furman
5. UT-C
6. Citadel
7. Elon
8. Samford
9. Western

SU DOG
July 6th, 2012, 02:35 PM

1. Appalachian State
2. Samford
3. Wofford
4. Georgia Southern
5. The Citadel
6. Chattanooga
7. Elon
8. Furman
9. Western Carolina

I'm with you SU_IT_able. Most folks on here have NO idea of the talent that Pat Sullivan has on this team. There is NO WAY that the conference has 6-7 teams better than these Dogs. Samford has speed like never before since being in the SoCon. There are play-makers on both sides of the ball. Have to also agree on the QB situation, but it's not like the cupboard is bear there either. PaladinFan is right-on about that opener, and its importance. It looks like another wild year in the SoCon.

Apphole
July 6th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I'm with you SU_IT_able. Most folks on here have NO idea of the talent that Pat Sullivan has on this team. There is NO WAY that the conference has 6-7 teams better than these Dogs. Samford has speed like never before since being in the SoCon. There are play-makers on both sides of the ball. Have to also agree on the QB situation, but it's not like the cupboard is bear there either. PaladinFan is right-on about that opener, and its importance. It looks like another wild year in the SoCon.

Talented? Sure. 2nd in the SoCon? Not lil Sammy....

SU DOG
July 6th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Talented? Sure. 2nd in the SoCon? Not lil Sammy....

This coming from a fan whose team is our Homecoming Opponent this year. xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 6th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I'll take a stab

1. GSU
2. Furman
3. App State
4. Wofford
5. Chatty
6. El Cid
7. Elon
8. Samford
9. WCU

EKU-n-GSU
July 6th, 2012, 03:11 PM
1) Georgia Southern
2) Appalachian State
3) Wofford
4) The Citadel
5) Samford/Furman
6) Furman/Samford
7) Chattanooga
8) Elon
9) Western Carolina

Apphole
July 6th, 2012, 03:12 PM

Oh you know ol' App State. The conference whipping boy. Homecoming cupcake team. Owner of 6 of 7 of the last SoCon championships.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLTVPIVgFsc&list=UUEkjuXtUX1OMy-SZl8-K8_w&index=6&feature=plcp

Eaglesrus
July 6th, 2012, 03:28 PM

1. Appalachian State
2. Samford
3. Wofford
4. Georgia Southern
5. The Citadel
6. Chattanooga
7. Elon
8. Furman
9. Western Carolina

It's certainly possible for us to finish 4th, or even lower, but I don't see how you can realistic put us there in a preseason poll. That said, I'll go with:

1. GA Southern
2. App. State
3. Wofford
4. Chattanooga
5. Samford
6. Furman
7. The Citadel
8. Elon
9. Western Carolina

cbarrier90
July 6th, 2012, 03:39 PM

Regarding Samford (and UTC for that matter,) what has either team done in the past on the football field to suggest that either is ready to take the "next step" into contending for championships?

Tout talent all you want (Chatty's been doing that for years now) but I have yet to see either team work their way out of the middle-of-the-pack. Years of being "so close" doesn't prepare you to win, it just prepares you to get really close.

GlassOnion
July 6th, 2012, 05:55 PM
#1 App State
#2 GSU
#3 Wofford
#4 Chattanooga
#5 Furman
#6 The Citadel
#7 Elon
#8 Western Carolina
#9 Samford

Saint3333
July 6th, 2012, 09:37 PM
1) Georgia Southern
2) Appalachian State
3) Wofford
4) Chattanooga
5) Elon/Furman
6) Elon/Furman
7) Samford
8) The Citadel
9) Western Carolina

Best one I've seen, Sammy could finish higher though.

CID1990
July 6th, 2012, 10:35 PM
At least 3 teams (not named ASU, GSU or Wofford) will finish behind The Citadel this year.

Milktruck74
July 7th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Its always interesting to look back on this at the end of the year and see how wrong I am....

1. GSU 9-2 (7-1)
2. ASU 8-3 (6-2)
3. Furman 7-4 (5-3)
4. Chattanooga 7-4 (5-3)
5. Wofford 6-5 (5-3)
6. Citadel 5-6 (3-5)
7. WCU 2-9 (1-7)
8. Elon 3-8 (1-7)

Pick me apart, beat me up, but this is my BEST GUESS...

CID1990
July 7th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Its always interesting to look back on this at the end of the year and see how wrong I am....

1. GSU 9-2 (7-1)
2. ASU 8-3 (6-2)
3. Furman 7-4 (5-3)
4. Chattanooga 7-4 (5-3)
5. Wofford 6-5 (5-3)
6. Citadel 5-6 (3-5)
7. WCU 2-9 (1-7)
8. Elon 3-8 (1-7)

Switch Wofford with Furman. After that, switch El Cid with Furman.

That's betta

SU DOG
July 7th, 2012, 12:19 PM

1. GSU 9-2 (7-1)
2. ASU 8-3 (6-2)
3. Furman 7-4 (5-3)
4. Chattanooga 7-4 (5-3)
5. Wofford 6-5 (5-3)
6. Citadel 5-6 (3-5)
7. WCU 2-9 (1-7)
8. Elon 3-8 (1-7)

OK, I'll start with the picking you apart. I know that Samford gets little respect, and still needs to earn more, but really, not even to be listed???

Milktruck74
July 10th, 2012, 08:54 PM
OK, I'll start with the picking you apart. I know that Samford gets little respect, and still needs to earn more, but really, not even to be listed???

Sorry for the slight!!! The Smart a$$ in me wants to make a comment about Samford not being in the SoCon, but I'll refrain. I see Samford going 5-6 (3-5) that'll slide you into sixth (because you beat Cit at home) and bumping everyone else down. With that said my 4-7 could ruin the season for 1-3 on ANYGIVENSATURDAY...

SpeedkingATL
July 11th, 2012, 03:09 PM
GaSo (because they get App at Eagle Creek)
App (if the o-line and offense improves with the new coaching staff)
UTC (if they have any kicking game)
Wofford (always tough and still have the RB that got away from Boone)
Citadel (taking a flyer that they they continue to improve)
Furman (lost some real talent from last year)
Elon (turnover machine again)
Samford (could continue going in the wrong direction with new QB, only Apps coaching was more predictible)
WCU (give staff another year)

That said I think any of the top 4 could win the SoCon and anyone but WCU could finish as high as second place in conference. Should be a fun year with even Whee not being an automatic W.

I-16Bandit
July 11th, 2012, 03:20 PM
#1 App State
#2 GSU
#3 Wofford
#4 Chattanooga
#5 Furman
#6 The Citadel
#7 Elon
#8 Western Carolina
#9 Samford

No way Samford finishes last. I'll say that they will have at least a 0.500 in the SoCon this year.

asumike83
July 11th, 2012, 03:21 PM
1) Georgia Southern
2) Appalachian
3) Chattanooga
4) Wofford
5) Furman
6) Elon
7) The Citadel
8) Samford
9) Western Carolina

chattownmocs
July 11th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I cannot justify putting them ahead of Furman. FU beat them in Chattanooga last season and finished with a better record. On what grounds do you rank the Paladins behind them?

They are significantly more talented than Furman.

chattownmocs
July 11th, 2012, 03:31 PM
1. Chattanooga
2. Georgia Southern
3. Wofford
4. App State
5. Furman
6. Samford
7. Citadel
8. Elon
9. Western

Chattanooga will be better on the offensive line and their defense will be top 5 in the nation. The RB position has a big upgrade. QB may be a question mark to some but there is little doubt in my mind that one of the 2 will be well above average. Mocs should win the conference this year. Georgia Southern has equal talent but a tougher schedule. Wofford has the right pieces that fit them perfectly. App State is overrated defensively but still very good. Offensively they don't have the same type of talent they usually have. Furman lost a ton. Samford should be better but not as much as they would like to believe. Citadel is ok but they are at a talent deficit. Elon could be much higher but I don't believe in them for some reason. Western sucks on both sides of the ball.

blueballs
July 11th, 2012, 03:32 PM
IMO everybody is undervaluing the Citadel... I am scared to death of the trip there September 8 with a young QB, new o-line starters, and unproven kicking game; ESPECIALLY after the way GSU got lucky against them last year.

I-16Bandit
July 11th, 2012, 03:33 PM
1. Chattanooga
2. Georgia Southern
3. Wofford
4. App State
5. Furman
6. Samford
7. Citadel
8. Elon
9. Western

For some reason... I'm not surprised by this.

Apphole
July 11th, 2012, 03:35 PM
App State is overrated defensively but still very good.

That's the nicest thing you've ever said about us...

mocman1990
July 11th, 2012, 03:42 PM

I never said they would be 4th (or ahead of Furman)...I specifically said I wouldn't put them any higher than 4th. Outside of saying who I thought the top 3 might be, I didn't rank anyone.

Of course, I would also point out...what does last year have to do with anything? It didn't mean anything last year that the Mocs beat Furman on the road in 2010.

CID1990
July 11th, 2012, 08:42 PM
1. Chattanooga
2. Georgia Southern
3. Wofford
4. App State
5. Furman
6. Samford
7. Citadel
8. Elon
9. Western

Chattanooga will be better on the offensive line and their defense will be top 5 in the nation. The RB position has a big upgrade. QB may be a question mark to some but there is little doubt in my mind that one of the 2 will be well above average. Mocs should win the conference this year. Georgia Southern has equal talent but a tougher schedule. Wofford has the right pieces that fit them perfectly. App State is overrated defensively but still very good. Offensively they don't have the same type of talent they usually have. Furman lost a ton. Samford should be better but not as much as they would like to believe. Citadel is ok but they are at a talent deficit. Elon could be much higher but I don't believe in them for some reason. Western sucks on both sides of the ball.

It will be interesting to see how you finish first with a loss in Charleston. I noticed how you mentioned talent. Reliance on talent alone is why you wind up taking week-long hiatuses from this forum when "less talented" teams beat the Mocs.

Saint3333
July 11th, 2012, 09:04 PM
September aka star of hibernation season.

alvinkayak6
July 11th, 2012, 10:16 PM
1 App
2 Ga. Southern
3 Wofford
4 Furman
5 The Citadel
6 Chattanooga
7 Samford
8 Elon
9 Western Carolina

I'm not one for surprises.

alvinkayak6
July 11th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Take a look at the Bulldogs 2011 season:
http://www.citadelsports.com/sports/fball/2011-12/schedule

A 4-7 record with the following conference margins:

Furman (-10)
Elon (-3 OT)
Chattanooga (+1)
Wofford (-29)
App (-7)
Western (+28)
Georgia Southern (-2)
Samford (-5)

Throw out the Western and Wofford games, and the Bulldogs' 6 games were decided by 28 points. That's an argument for parity, if you ever hear one.

chattownmocs
July 12th, 2012, 07:15 AM
It will be interesting to see how you finish first with a loss in Charleston. I noticed how you mentioned talent. Reliance on talent alone is why you wind up taking week-long hiatuses from this forum when "less talented" teams beat the Mocs.

Your team sucks.

Smitty
July 12th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Your team sucks.

You realize you only finished 1 game ahead of them last year....

CID1990
July 12th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Your team sucks.

That's more an indictment of the quality of YOUR team than ours. You'll be conspicuously absent from this board once again this year when your team does what it always does: underachieve.

ASUMountaineer
July 12th, 2012, 10:29 AM
You realize you only finished 1 game ahead of them last year....

Details.

chattanoogamocs
July 12th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Take a look at the Bulldogs 2011 season:
http://www.citadelsports.com/sports/fball/2011-12/schedule

A 4-7 record with the following conference margins:

Furman (-10)
Elon (-3 OT)
Chattanooga (+1)
Wofford (-29)
App (-7)
Western (+28)
Georgia Southern (-2)
Samford (-5)

Throw out the Western and Wofford games, and the Bulldogs' 6 games were decided by 28 points. That's an argument for parity, if you ever hear one.

The Citadel was "right there", no argument. Of course, Chattanooga was "right there" too. 5 losses by a total of 12 points. Could be why my hair turned from black to grey in less than 4 months. :)

@ ASU (-2)
Citadel (-1)
@ GSU (-1)
WCU (+44)
@ Elon (+24)
Furman (-7)
@ Samford (+15)
Wofford (-1)

chattownmocs
July 12th, 2012, 10:35 AM
That's more an indictment of the quality of YOUR team than ours. You'll be conspicuously absent from this board once again this year when your team does what it always does: underachieve.

No, the fact that your team sucks is not an indictment at all. That was what happened to your summer camp coach. The Citadel just sucks, they almost certainly will not defeat Chattanooga, and probably won't win more than 2 games.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 12th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Top tier
GSU, App, Woofs, Furple, Chatty

Second Tier
Elon, Sammy, El Cid

Western Tier (sorry Western)
Western

Western goes winless, second tier gets two wins at the most against first tier.

ASUMountaineer
July 12th, 2012, 12:03 PM
No, the fact that your team sucks is not an indictment at all. That was what happened to your summer camp coach. The Citadel just sucks, they almost certainly will not defeat Chattanooga, and probably won't win more than 2 games.

Weren't you this confident last year when Chatty played the Citadel?

chattownmocs
July 12th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Weren't you this confident last year when Chatty played the Citadel?

Yeah, and I'm sure you will be confident in 2013 after Chattanooga beats the piss out of ya'll this year too.

asumike83
July 12th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Yeah, and I'm sure you will be confident in 2013 after Chattanooga beats the piss out of ya'll this year too.

Are you going to be at the game in Chattanooga this year? I'm going try and make it down to Atlanta on Friday and drive up for a day trip Saturday morning. We should try to get an Appalachian/Chattanooga AGS tailgate set up if enough people make it. If you guys 'beat the piss out of us', I will gladly buy you a congratulatory beer.

chattownmocs
July 12th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Are you going to be at the game in Chattanooga this year? I'm going try and make it down to Atlanta on Friday and drive up for a day trip Saturday morning. We should try to get an Appalachian/Chattanooga AGS tailgate set up if enough people make it. If you guys 'beat the piss out of us', I will gladly buy you a congratulatory beer.

Plenty of places to stay in the Scenic City. Not much further than Atlanta either. Why stay there?

ASUMountaineer
July 12th, 2012, 01:18 PM

I didn't make a prediction, champ.

I will predict that if ASU "beats the piss out of y'all" that you will be on AGS calling ASU lucky and pronouncing that Chatty truly is better, despite the scoreboard.

asumike83
July 12th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Plenty of places to stay in the Scenic City. Not much further than Atlanta either. Why stay there?

My drive from Charlotte takes me straight through Atlanta and since I'll probably be leaving after work and getting in late, it breaks up the drive. Plus, I've got a couple friends in Atlanta that can put me up for free and hook me up with a hangover to take to Chattanooga on Saturday!

chattownmocs
July 12th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I didn't make a prediction, champ.

I will predict that if ASU "beats the piss out of y'all" that you will be on AGS calling ASU lucky and pronouncing that Chatty truly is better, despite the scoreboard.

If Chattanooga gives the game to App State for a third straight year I will just tip my hat and call the Mountaineers my daddy.

Apphole
July 12th, 2012, 01:32 PM
If Chattanooga gives the game to App State for a third straight year I will just tip my hat and call the Mountaineers my daddy.

Quote saved

ASUMountaineer
July 12th, 2012, 01:53 PM

It Chatty beats ASU I will say "good game."

Skjellyfetti
July 12th, 2012, 01:58 PM

Haven't y'all given away the game 7 years in a row? xchinscratchx

chattownmocs
July 12th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Haven't y'all given away the game 7 years in a row? xchinscratchx

No. 2 years in a row.

CID1990
July 12th, 2012, 02:28 PM

I can smell the a$$ you are talking out of.

mocman1990
July 12th, 2012, 03:17 PM

I think an AGS meetup would be fun...

Sadly, I won't be there...I was asked to officiate the wedding of one of my long time employees back in January and agreed to it before the football schedule came out (sigh)

ElonFirefighter
July 12th, 2012, 03:25 PM
I think an AGS meetup would be fun...

Sadly, I won't be there...I was asked to officiate the wedding of one of my long time employees back in January and agreed to it before the football schedule came out (sigh)

That was your first mistake, no fall weddings. Thats what I told my fiancee. You can plane it in the Fall but theres a 50/50 chance I will not be there.... Well unless its on the 50 yard line at half time.

EKU-n-GSU
July 12th, 2012, 04:53 PM
That was your first mistake, no fall weddings. Thats what I told my fiancee. You can plane it in the Fall but theres a 50/50 chance I will not be there.... Well unless its on the 50 yard line at half time.

And she had a problem with that?

ElonFirefighter
July 13th, 2012, 06:39 AM
well not the 50 yard line, but we are getting married on 4-20 next year. Only april/may date avaliable, plus when we reserved it she didn't realize the true meaning of the date.

ASUMountaineer
July 13th, 2012, 07:39 AM
well not the 50 yard line, but we are getting married on 4-20 next year. Only april/may date avaliable, plus when we reserved it she didn't realize the true meaning of the date.

Hitler's birthday?

Apphole
July 13th, 2012, 08:15 AM

You should book more food than you planned. The munchies at a wedding would be epic. xawesomex

TheRevSFA
July 13th, 2012, 08:17 AM
1) Wofford
2) Georgia South
3) Appalachian State
4) Chattanooga
5) Furman
6) The Citadel
7) Elon
8) Samford
9) Western Carolina

TheRevSFA
July 13th, 2012, 08:19 AM

Exactly. My wife and I got married in May for that reason. No. Fall. Weddings.

eaglewraith
July 13th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Exactly. My wife and I got married in May for that reason. No. Fall. Weddings.

The problem with a fall wedding isn't the wedding itself.

It's the anniversaries. Gotta think ahead.

TheRevSFA
July 13th, 2012, 08:24 AM
The problem with a fall wedding isn't the wedding itself.

It's the anniversaries. Gotta think ahead.

We actually planned ahead with ours. No one's birthday is near...no football to be missed. Perfect time of year to take a trip (our anniversary is in May)

asumike83
July 13th, 2012, 08:29 AM
1) Wofford
2) Georgia South
3) Appalachian State
4) Chattanooga
5) Furman
6) The Citadel
7) Elon
8) Samford
9) Western Carolina

High on Wofford I see. That program is always solid and they'll be there but I don't see them winning the SoCon this year. They have to travel to Statesboro and Boone mid-season in consecutive weeks with a QB who has no starting experience. They have surprised me before but I doubt they win the conference. If they do, I'll tip my cap because they will have earned it!

TheRevSFA
July 13th, 2012, 08:37 AM
High on Wofford I see. That program is always solid and they'll be there but I don't see them winning the SoCon this year. They have to travel to Statesboro and Boone mid-season in consecutive weeks with a QB who has no starting experience. They have surprised me before but I doubt they win the conference. If they do, I'll tip my cap because they will have earned it!

Just taking a gamble on it. It'd be cool to be right..

PaladinFan
July 13th, 2012, 08:53 AM

They also have the league's best player, which counts for a lot IMO.

OLDMAIN80
July 13th, 2012, 08:58 AM
1) Wofford
2) Georgia South
3) Appalachian State
4) Chattanooga
5) Furman
6) The Citadel
7) Elon
8) Samford
9) Western Carolina

I like this one.

blueballs
July 13th, 2012, 09:06 AM
They also have the league's best OFFENSIVE player, which counts for a lot IMO.

FIFY...

jpincince
July 13th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Who has the league's best offensive player?

http://draftbreakdown.com/aaron-mellette-vs-appalachian-state-2011

asumike83
July 13th, 2012, 09:18 AM

He is a great back but they have a tough road. Back-to-back road games against GSU/ASU make the conference title tough to get. Plus, they play a DII school so they've got to win 8 to make the postseason.

In my opinion, Aaron Mellette is the league's best offensive player. I know WR and RB is apples to oranges because he doesn't get as many chances to impact the game but that kid is an absolute monster.

ASUMountaineer
July 13th, 2012, 10:59 AM

Have to agree with this.

cbarrier90
July 13th, 2012, 11:46 AM

Breitenstein wouldn't be the same player if not for Wofford's offensive system.

Mellette could go to any other SoCon team right now and instantly make their passing game more of a threat.

ElonFirefighter
July 13th, 2012, 01:56 PM
You should book more food than you planned. The munchies at a wedding would be epic. xawesomex

Well we did debate serving cheetos as an appatizer and using hookahs as center pieces. It will be a weding day to remember... or try to remember

mocman1990
July 13th, 2012, 03:30 PM

Life of a minister in the South...you don't get to pick the dates and it would hard to be tell a friend that you won't officiate their wedding because of a football game...some might see it as a test of my faith. :)

Apphole
July 13th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Life of a minister in the South...you don't get to pick the dates and it would hard to be tell a friend that you won't officiate their wedding because of a football game...some might see it as a test of my faith. :)

Hard? Yes, but better than the alternative.

ElonFirefighter
July 13th, 2012, 03:42 PM

A true friend would know its football season:D Plus you dont have to tell him, just dont show up. you were ehhhh sickxangelx In all reality i see you point

SU DOG
July 13th, 2012, 04:56 PM
1. GSU
2. ASU
3. Samford
4. Wofford
5. UTC
6. Furman
7. The Citadel
8. Elon
9. WCU

But of course, I might have Samford a notch or two too low.

catamount man
July 13th, 2012, 08:55 PM

No, but as a notary public, who has been asked to perform a ceremony for a young couple this Fall, it helps when the bride tells you "No, we're not getting married on a Saturday because we know you'd be out of town." xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

catamount man
July 13th, 2012, 09:01 PM
And they will give me food and beer. LOL!

seantaylor
July 13th, 2012, 11:59 PM

Leagues best player is Brent Russell, and it isn't really close. Ben Stein MAY be the best offensive player

Horseshoe App
July 14th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Aaron Mellette will be a better pro than Russell. Russell is a great player, but Mellette is better. Did you see Mellette play last year?

seantaylor
July 15th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Aaron Mellette will be a better pro than Russell. Russell is a great player, but Mellette is better. Did you see Mellette play last year?

Crazy. Russell demands double teams every single play. Mellette doesn't have the speed for the NFL.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
July 15th, 2012, 05:45 AM

I agree with your assessment, not to mention he was on the WCU coaching staff many moons ago when they were actually good.

Horseshoe App
July 15th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Crazy. Russell demands double teams every single play. Mellette doesn't have the speed for the NFL.

So, you didn't see Mellette last year. The dude run a 4.5 forty and has a big body. He was just as good, if not better than Quick when they played. In no way was I not saying Russell is very good just in my opinion Mellete is better. No homerism in my opinion. Just someone who saw both players play.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
July 15th, 2012, 06:29 AM
My turn:

1) Georgia Southern - I see a repeat, 8-0, 10-1 best case scenario
2) Appalachian State - good talent but they have GSU on the road, 7-1, 10-1 best case scenario since I like ASU's chances vs. ECU and Montana
3) Chattanooga - good talent but 9/22 vs. ASU could be the turning point for this team, seven wins worst case scenario, can go 10-1 but I don't see it happening.
4) Furman - I see them doing well first four games (3-1), next four games at home will prove critical. Six wins worst case scenario.
5) Wofford - I see six wins minimum for them.
6) The Citadel - I see five wins for them.
7) Elon - I see four wins on their schedule.
8) Samford - I see them winning 3-4 games this year.
9) Western Carolina - They'll start off 1-0 (Mars Hill) but that's about it.

I will not be surprised if I see five teams finish this season with at least six wins this season. How many of them will be heading to the playoffs will be another question.

asumike83
July 15th, 2012, 11:45 AM

Mellette demands safety help just as much as Russell demands a double team. He runs a 4.5.

jpincince
July 15th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Who really knows, but . . . I think Elon wins all 6 at home and gets one W on the road (I would guess at The Citadel, but maybe at Chattanooga), for 7-4. But with one of those Ws coming vs. D2 WV St. and another vs. NC Central, not sure if that 7-4 gets them in the playoffs.

CID1990
July 15th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Who really knows, but . . . I think Elon wins all 6 at home and gets one W on the road (I would guess at The Citadel, but maybe at Chattanooga), for 7-4. But with one of those Ws coming vs. D2 WV St. and another vs. NC Central, not sure if that 7-4 gets them in the playoffs.

The only team that is going to escape JHS with a win this year is GSU.

GlassOnion
July 15th, 2012, 04:19 PM

Jacksonville High School must be really good this year. I was under the impression they hadnt won a state championship since the early 80s.

blueballs
July 15th, 2012, 07:19 PM

I'm not as confident about that as you are... I think Citadel is going to be amped up at home with revenge on the mind while GSU takes their first road trip with a new unproven, untested QB. GSU was EXTREMELY lucky to win last year at Paulson and they ain't at home this time around.

CID1990
July 15th, 2012, 08:50 PM
I think GSU is still a much better team at this point. We will be much improved but we aren't quite there yet.

SoCon48
July 15th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Pick with head and not with heart.;) GO CATS!

1) Georgia Southern
2) Wofford
3) Appalachian State
4) Chattanooga
5) Furman
6) Samford
7) The Citadel
8) Elon
9) Western Carolina (ahh......kills me to do that, but we gotta show on the field)

With all the turnover in coaching staff and the loss of many players, third place for ASU is being generous.

seantaylor
July 16th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Mellette demands safety help just as much as Russell demands a double team. He runs a 4.5.

Bet big money he doesn't run a 4.5 at the combine. 4.7 guy

seantaylor
July 16th, 2012, 01:36 AM
I'm not as confident about that as you are... I think Citadel is going to be amped up at home with revenge on the mind while GSU takes their first road trip with a new unproven, untested QB. GSU was EXTREMELY lucky to win last year at Paulson and they ain't at home this time around.

An untested QB is still better than what Citadel has at QB. We win that game easily. McKinnon already beat them as a true freshman, with nothing in his arsenal but a double option.

Milktruck74
July 16th, 2012, 07:42 AM

If they get married in the Train Yard at the Choo Choo, they can then have the wedding party stroll over to the Pavilion and have a tailgate reception. IF you show up in a Tux and gown, you automatically have the right to crash any tailgate in the lot. They need to think of the money they would save on the whole reception....think about it!!!

Milktruck74
July 16th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Mellette, Bretenstien, Russell, are all phenoms that any coach in America (including FBS) would be happy to have on their roster, but I really see the 2012 POY not coming out of these three. I think a relative unknown is going to have a breakout season and emerge as the Leagues best. Don't ask me to back it up, its just a gut feeling.

Apphole
July 16th, 2012, 08:26 AM
With all the turnover in coaching staff and the loss of many players, third place for ASU is being generous.

Yeah, dropping deadweight and bringing back one of the greatest offensive minds in SoCon history should really be a burden. We'll be lucky to beat Western....

I shall miss the 2012 33rd overall NFL draft pick though.

cbarrier90
July 16th, 2012, 09:06 AM

As much as I would love to be another pessimistic ASU fan, they had injuries, poor coaching, and a scandal and suspensions last season and finished third in the conference.

Stay healthy and out of trouble and this team can finish much higher than third.

CID1990
July 16th, 2012, 09:14 AM
An untested QB is still better than what Citadel has at QB. We win that game easily. McKinnon already beat them as a true freshman, with nothing in his arsenal but a double option.

You maybe should read up before coming down on the QB. That is not the position that will cost us against GSU. You dont even know who our QB is going to be, Homer.

blueballs
July 16th, 2012, 02:59 PM
You maybe should read up before coming down on the QB. That is not the position that will cost us against GSU. You dont even know who our QB is going to be, Homer.

I thought the guy you had last year ran the offense pretty well and he was a load running the ball. If he could pass he'd be dynamic.

CID1990
July 16th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I thought the guy you had last year ran the offense pretty well and he was a load running the ball. If he could pass he'd be dynamic.

We currently have a competition for the starting job. Dupree is the one you are talking about, but Miller is neck and neck with him. If Higgins stays Higgins, they will both get starts.

Seantaylor ain't going to like this, but Bleacher Report mentions Miller and Dupree together at #3 in the conference this year. I don't think our D will give us the help we need in the GSU game, though.

CID1990
July 16th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Forgot to post the link

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1232471-ranking-the-quarterbacks-in-the-socon-heading-into-2012

seantaylor
July 17th, 2012, 12:43 AM
We currently have a competition for the starting job. Dupree is the one you are talking about, but Miller is neck and neck with him. If Higgins stays Higgins, they will both get starts.

Seantaylor ain't going to like this, but Bleacher Report mentions Miller and Dupree together at #3 in the conference this year. I don't think our D will give us the help we need in the GSU game, though.

Won't matter what I like. Dupree is about 5'5, with nowhere near the speed or strength of McKinnon. McKinnon is ten times better than whoever starts for El Chit.

Bleacher report is a rag. They are just going by who started last year, primarily. McKinnon is going to be better than Jaybo Shaw, who, despite what some of our fans think, was vastly overrated. He was needed in transition, but he would have not started for any other team in the option era.