PDA

View Full Version : Inside the Play

PaladinFan
July 3rd, 2012, 07:02 AM
Football season approaching. Furman has done a pretty good job recently producing a new video newsletter regarding athletics.

I particularly like their "inside the play" series. They spend some time breaking down a big play, and interviewing the players. For those of us that don't get in the game, it is interesting to watch what the players are seeing out there.

Thought some of you might enjoy watching this from the player's perspective (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktwcn2jg4pY&feature=player_embedded#!). App fans might want to look away.

*be sure to keep an ear out for the Ben Stiller call from the Furman play by play man :)

AppStsGr8
July 3rd, 2012, 07:14 AM
That play for Furman was a great play - well read, well executed. November 5th, 2011 was definitely a tough day for Appalachian fans. Hopefully, your trip to The Rock this fall will be as tough a day as we experienced at Furman last year.

PaladinFan
July 3rd, 2012, 07:48 AM
That play for Furman was a great play - well read, well executed. November 5th, 2011 was definitely a tough day for Appalachian fans. Hopefully, your trip to The Rock this fall will be as tough a day as we experienced at Furman last year.

You'll have to have many more tough days in Greenville to make up for the pain and suffering Furman has had to go through in Boone.

asu3peat
July 3rd, 2012, 08:01 AM
I thought the point of the cover 4 was to keep the offense in front of you??? Looks like Middleton got burned badly. No pressure from the front 4 due to great blocking from the big uglies, excellent route from the WR and a perfectly placed passed. Couldn't ask for better execution from the offense.

PaladinFan
July 3rd, 2012, 08:51 AM
I thought the point of the cover 4 was to keep the offense in front of you??? Looks like Middleton got burned badly. No pressure from the front 4 due to great blocking from the big uglies, excellent route from the WR and a perfectly placed passed. Couldn't ask for better execution from the offense.

I suppose the distinction is that the cover four does not provide for over the top help. Most defenses allow the safeties to assist on the deep ball. On that play, the safety was left as the only man in the area. You'll take Seddrick Cunningham in a footrace with a safety.

Apphole
July 3rd, 2012, 09:07 AM

VERY tough day. GaSo may have gotten the trophy, but Furman won the game that decided the Southern Conference Championship.

asu3peat
July 3rd, 2012, 09:09 AM
Especially if Cunningham is going against a true freshman safety. Middleton is pretty quick for a safety but he got smoked. I guess my point was the safety has to stay over the top and not allow himself to get beat. Hopefully he'll learn to keep the play in front of him!

PaladinFan
July 3rd, 2012, 10:13 AM
Especially if Cunningham is going against a true freshman safety. Middleton is pretty quick for a safety but he got smoked. I guess my point was the safety has to stay over the top and not allow himself to get beat. Hopefully he'll learn to keep the play in front of him!

It really puts an exclamation point about why Furman fans are getting excited about the future of the program. I know you guys are fans of the spread, but it is so nice to see a power-I play action pass with a deep ball again in Paladin Stadium. You read that play incorrectly for just a moment and it is six points on the board.