PDA

View Full Version : Wichita State Football

DFW HOYA
July 2nd, 2012, 08:54 PM
Saw this posted over at the Pioneer board.

Any updates from the Wheatshocker fans out there?

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/story/Wichita-State-University-Football-is-back/jjdCwosNW0SD9dMdx_XCEw.cspx

Seawolf97
July 2nd, 2012, 08:57 PM
Hope they pull it off. It would be good to see them come back.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 2nd, 2012, 09:17 PM
Best foam finger of all time.

http://nerdapproved.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/big-foam-shocker.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
July 2nd, 2012, 10:20 PM
It's back. Wichita State University has a football team. The team is recruiting players, and plans to go after community college graduates.

WSU officials are not saying they've endorsed the club sport, but they are not opposed Wills moving forward with his desire to pursue the issue.

"As president of WSU football I'm looking for Junior College Athletes who would be willing to play for Wichita State Football without a scholarship. I know they're out there. They just need to step forward. There will come a day when this will be an NCAA division on program again. First things first. We need players."

I'd be thrilled if WIchita State played non-scholly or FCS football again... but... isn't there some sort of rule against recruiting club-level players? I don't know for sure, but I thought so.

TheBisonator
July 2nd, 2012, 10:20 PM
Looks like the story said they're bringing it back as a club sport, not NCAA varsity.

slycat
July 2nd, 2012, 10:33 PM
Love to see them play FCS ball again one day. Still have that stadium there though I'm not sure what kind of shape its in.

clenz
July 2nd, 2012, 10:44 PM
Love to see them play FCS ball again one day. Still have that stadium there though I'm not sure what kind of shape its in.

Won't happen. The only way football goes past club is a move to cusa, b12, mwc, etc...

Hell,the only reason club is starting is because they feel left out in all these moves and don't want to be left behind

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

frozennorth
July 3rd, 2012, 12:52 AM
Best foam finger of all time.

http://nerdapproved.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/big-foam-shocker.jpg

we used these in high school, eventually they got banned, as did many of the students.

Model Citizen
July 3rd, 2012, 08:18 AM
Club football is less than a sure thing at Wichita State, but they're trying to get it launched. They will not use the old football stadium, at least not initially. Pretty much trying to start from scratch, with the goal of playing games next spring.

http://www.intercollegiateclubfootball.com/nationalrankings.htm

UAalum72
July 3rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
I'd be thrilled if WIchita State played non-scholly or FCS football again... but... isn't there some sort of rule against recruiting club-level players? I don't know for sure, but I thought so.
The Intercollegiate Club Football Federation (http://www.intercollegiateclubfootball.com/whtisclubfootball.htm) says club football does not have to comply with Title IX or NCAA regulations (since it's typically run and financed by students thru the Student Activities Dept., not by the Athletic Dept.)

Now if the coach is a faculty member I suppose he could talk to prospects, though unable to offer scholarships. But if the school is using the club as a base for a varsity team in the near future, then the NCAA would get involved.

I think Bob Ford was on the Albany faculty for a year before the club team started, but that was 40 years ago.

MplsBison
July 3rd, 2012, 11:44 AM
So then why couldn't the football team at Ohio State simply be a club team?

Once you stop laughing, stop and think about it for a second.

What would stop, say, the "club" football team at Ohio State from using Ohio Stadium to play home games? They could make a deal with the school to split the revenue enough so that the club team could afford to pay some guy $4 million a year to coach the team and could also pay the students who choose to play for the club enough cash to pay for their school costs as well as the other costs it takes to run a high level club team (travel, recruiting, strength, etc.).

Title IX taken completely out of the equation.

Anyone see where I'm going with this here? ...

Dane96
July 3rd, 2012, 12:16 PM
No

MSUDuo
July 3rd, 2012, 01:17 PM
So then why couldn't the football team at Ohio State simply be a club team?

Once you stop laughing, stop and think about it for a second.

What would stop, say, the "club" football team at Ohio State from using Ohio Stadium to play home games? They could make a deal with the school to split the revenue enough so that the club team could afford to pay some guy $4 million a year to coach the team and could also pay the students who choose to play for the club enough cash to pay for their school costs as well as the other costs it takes to run a high level club team (travel, recruiting, strength, etc.).

Title IX taken completely out of the equation.

Anyone see where I'm going with this here? ...

Yep. Some day the Big Boys will make a complete split from the NCAA

MplsBison
July 3rd, 2012, 01:55 PM
No

Basically it would be this:

1) the major athletic departments no longer sponsor varsity football
2) club teams are formed and pay the university to rent out the football facilities on campus (practice fields, football facility, stadium on gamedays, etc.)
3) the clubs and the schools find some agreeable way to split revenue such that the club can pay the costs of big time football at that level and the school keeps the rest (roughly like how it is now) - including paying each player some reasonable amount to pay for school costs.

This bypasses title IX and basically all other regulations.

The school doesn't officially have a varsity football team, but everyone knows it's the same thing and all come to watch the club team play just like the old varsity team.

Why wouldn't they do this yesterday?

Lehigh Football Nation
July 3rd, 2012, 02:06 PM
The Intercollegiate Club Football Federation (http://www.intercollegiateclubfootball.com/whtisclubfootball.htm) says club football does not have to comply with Title IX or NCAA regulations (since it's typically run and financed by students thru the Student Activities Dept., not by the Athletic Dept.)

Now if the coach is a faculty member I suppose he could talk to prospects, though unable to offer scholarships. But if the school is using the club as a base for a varsity team in the near future, then the NCAA would get involved.

I think Bob Ford was on the Albany faculty for a year before the club team started, but that was 40 years ago.

Thanks for clarifying. Again, I have nothing but happy thoughts about Wichita State's efforts to bring back football at any level. I was just struck how forward their pitch was, basically saying they're going to be sponsoring the sport at the Division I level. It seems like it's fair game.

Model Citizen
July 3rd, 2012, 03:23 PM
I was just struck how forward their pitch was, basically saying they're going to be sponsoring the sport at the Division I level.

Actually, they are quite clear that they are not sponsoring the sport at the Division I level. This thread doesn't even belong on the FCS board, unless DFW HOYA wanted to discuss the possibility of going to the PFL at some later date. Not holding my breath on that one.

PantherRob82
July 3rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
The group behind this wants Division I football, even if FCS. Most of us in the MVC don't think their fans will accept FCS football.

frozennorth
July 3rd, 2012, 04:53 PM
Yep. Some day the Big Boys will make a complete split from the NCAA

why would they do this again? So they can make their own duplicate NCAA?

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 3rd, 2012, 06:10 PM
The group behind this wants Division I football, even if FCS. Most of us in the MVC don't think their fans will accept FCS football.

Don't you think Wichita State fans would accept FCS football for a few years before a move up to FBS?

They would be a good addition to the MV.

clenz
July 3rd, 2012, 10:22 PM
Don't you think Wichita State fans would accept FCS football for a few years before a move up to FBS?

They would be a good addition to the MV.

Probably not....maybe, but for no more than 2 years.

The vast majority of the fan base refers to FCS football as "pop warner".

It is strictly Big12, B1G, MWC (at the very bottom) or bust.

The only reason it would ever go past club is because WSU is starting to see that they aren't going to move from the Missouri Valley Conference (which them and Creighton both feel they are "above") without football....

MplsBison
July 4th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Do they just say that to taunt other MVC teams who have football in the MVFC?

Or do they actually think that football is not worth having unless they can go directly into Big XII?

clenz
July 4th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Do they just say that to taunt other MVC teams who have football in the MVFC?

Or do they actually think that football is not worth having unless they can go directly into Big XII?

The vast majority I've talker too, online and in person don't want it unless it lands big tine

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2