PDA

View Full Version : clenz's pick 'em extravaganza coming to AGS???

clenz
July 2nd, 2012, 07:25 AM
I'll leave it up to a poll.

For those of you that have posted on CS in the past during football season you are likely familiar with my pick 'em game that I run every year (will be my 4th year running it at CS). I'd like to bring it over to AGS as well, that is if you'll have it. I know you had your own versions of conference pick ems last year and I did some searching to see if there was a "universal" pick em, and couldn't find it. If you don't want it here just vote no and I'll keep it at CS only. Before you vote here is a brief run down of how it works and what not - PS I'm working with some people behind the scenes to MAYBE have something in it for the winner/top 3....no promises though.

So, these aren't the "official" rules as I'm kicking around a couple ideas to make it more "interesting"....but the general run down is this:

1. You have from the day I post the game (will happen this week if wanted) until 30 minutes before the first kick off of the earliest game listed on the pick em to get your pick in. Picks in my game aren't just games.....there is so much more to pick. Each weeks games will be based on the AGS top 25 AS WELL AS a couple other games each week I see fit (in other words games I want to watch - my game, my games to pickxlolx. +

These game will range from top ranked FBS match ups to match ups later in the year where two of the worst FCS teams are trying to get of the schneid. Maybe a couple D2/D3 power houses are playing that week, I love me D2/D3 football (had D2 offers and played D3). Some times the picks will have to be luck to get it right, but it rewards those with the "best" knowledge. In the past each pick has been worth 1.

On top of the weekly game picks there are some fun picks as well. Before the season you will pick who you think will get the conference AQ as well as who you think will get at-larges into the playoffs. If you correctly pick a team getting an AQ bid or correctly predicting they will be an AL you get 3 points, if you correctly pick the team to make the playoffs you but you had them as AQ and they got an AL you get 1 point.

A couple of things I'm thinking about adding this year - pick the title game and winner before the season for points, pick the final polls top 5 for points, and a couple other things.

Come playoff time I don't want anyone thinking they "can't" win because they are "too far behind" and lose interest in the game...so I have a formula - that would be explained later - that evens the field during the playoffs....a correct pick could be worth anywhere from 1 to 10 depending how close you were on the spread of the game.

Picks are due 30 minutes before the first game of the week on the list. Say there is a Thursday night game that starts at 6:30 eastern, picks are due at 6 eastern that night. If you missed that deadline, not to worry, you can still turn picks in but you won't get credit for any that were prior to that deadline. Yes, same goes for editing. If you edit your picks after that cut off I'll disqualify that game for you...even if you didn't touch that pick unless you send me a message a head of time and I can verify you didn't touch that one.

I have a spreadsheet that I keep track of everything with. It is a lot of fun, and CS has enjoyed it for a couple years now. The numbers playing over there are climbing every year, and we were up to about 30 last year that played with regularity.

It is, however, a crap ton of work for me to do which is why I'm asking if you'd all be involved with it or not. I don't want to "take away" this from someone else who was doing it last year. Nor do I want to put the work in each week it takes if there isn't going to be any participation...it takes over an hour if there is good participation for me to get everything set and done each week for CS....double that for here.

The other question I have would be this - if I do post it here do you want it combined with the CS scores as the contest or want AGS run separately? There are a couple guys at CS who are very good a this game and have finished top 4 or 5 every year.

Let me know what your thoughts are in the vote and with replies. I'll keep the poll open until midnight central Tuesday (yes, all times posted would be central as that is my time zone and i'm not converting to your stupid time....my thoughts on the eastern time zone are well known on CSxlolx). I work today and tomorrow but then have the next 5 days off and it would be posted this week - likely Thursday for Friday.

clenz
July 2nd, 2012, 09:07 PM
Bump to the top of the page....If participation in the game is going to be what participation in this poll is I might have to rethink it.

813Jag
July 2nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
I'm game, gives me two chances to win xlolx

ODUsmitty
July 2nd, 2012, 09:40 PM
Clenz cheats and, rumor has it, does not brush his teeth daily.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 2nd, 2012, 09:41 PM
clenzy for whatever reason there is a very lax attitude toward participation in polls around AGS. Don't know why for sure but it is just the way it is with the new crowd. In spite of that "not jumping in to give ya guidance thing" most people do jump in on the fun stuff.

Just for reference. I've started polls to get feedback on features for AGS and left the poll open for a week and had 6 or 7 total votes so it ain't you...trust me.

clenz
July 2nd, 2012, 09:59 PM
Clenz cheats and, rumor has it, does not brush his teeth daily.

Tiu wouldn't have your sweet UNI **** if it wasn't for me and my game.....

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

813Jag
July 2nd, 2012, 10:37 PM
clenzy for whatever reason there is a very lax attitude toward participation in polls around AGS. Don't know why for sure but it is just the way it is with the new crowd. In spite of that "not jumping in to give ya guidance thing" most people do jump in on the fun stuff.

Just for reference. I've started polls to get feedback on features for AGS and left the poll open for a week and had 6 or 7 total votes so it ain't you...trust me.
CS loves polls, I'm sure that can be taken many ways........

ursus arctos horribilis
July 2nd, 2012, 11:48 PM
CS loves polls, I'm sure that can be taken many ways........

This is not the place to discuss how many ways you can take a poll TJ. Sorry.

ODUsmitty
July 3rd, 2012, 01:01 AM
Tiu wouldn't have your sweet UNI **** if it wasn't for me and my game.....

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I understand and respond to English only, bitch.

813Jag
July 3rd, 2012, 06:48 AM
This is not the place to discuss how many ways you can take a poll TJ. Sorry.
my bad :o xlolx

jmufan999
July 3rd, 2012, 11:21 AM
First, what is CS? Some sort of website? I voted to keep them separately because I obviously don't know what that is, so I'd want it to be AGS only.

Second, I'm interested depending on how many D-II or D-III games we're talking about. 1 per week? Not interested. 4-5 per season? I guess I could deal with that. If you follow D-II or D-III closely, it's not exactly a fair playing field for those of us that don't follow those levels at all.

clenz
July 3rd, 2012, 11:33 AM
It'd be at most 2 games per year....The only time I'd add D2 or lower is if it is a top level game....or when the school I played for plays their biggest rival. The only person that would favor would be me (as both are in Iowa and part of a conference made up of only Iowa D3 schools) so it's still even

ODUsmitty
July 3rd, 2012, 01:38 PM
This is a fun contest. Clenz does a nice job with it.

813Jag
July 3rd, 2012, 01:39 PM
First, what is CS? Some sort of website? I voted to keep them separately because I obviously don't know what that is, so I'd want it to be AGS only.

Second, I'm interested depending on how many D-II or D-III games we're talking about. 1 per week? Not interested. 4-5 per season? I guess I could deal with that. If you follow D-II or D-III closely, it's not exactly a fair playing field for those of us that don't follow those levels at all.
CS is actually the step-brother of AGS xlolx Some of the members here are also members there.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 3rd, 2012, 01:53 PM
CS is actually the step-brother of AGS xlolx Some of the members here are also members there.

Which allows this opportunity...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANjenc4W1_Q

813Jag
July 3rd, 2012, 02:38 PM
Which allows this opportunity...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANjenc4W1_Q
and that is how you rip the tits off a thread xthumbsupx

BisonHype!
July 3rd, 2012, 03:14 PM
Count me in, sounds like fun!

clenz
July 3rd, 2012, 10:23 PM
This is a fun contest. Clenz does a nice job with it.

Thanks for the kind words smitty

clenz
July 4th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Game on it is....

Thread going up now.

dgreco
July 5th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Glad you decided to do this Clenz, I will definitely be participating here at AGS.