PDA

View Full Version : Rumormill: Rhode Island may stay in the CAA

BlueHenSinfonian
June 28th, 2012, 11:20 PM
The off-season rumormill keeps churning, and now there are whispers that the CAA may be courting Rhode Island to keep them in the fold for football.

Does it make sense for the CAA to try to keep a program that has been just on the other side of competitive over the course of conference history? Does it make sense for URI to reconsider their decision to leave the CAA arms race for the more affordable waters of the NEC, and how much would URI really save by moving?

DFW HOYA
June 28th, 2012, 11:35 PM
This was discussed in the Richmond Times Dispatch two weeks ago:

"CAA commissioner Tom Yeager...declined to name expansion candidates, but in the discussion are believed to be Appalachian State, Stony Brook, Albany, VMI, Monmouth, Coastal Carolina and Hampton. URI may re-enroll if the Rams sense a CAA with a stronger Northern accent."

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2012/jun/15/tdsport03-from-field-office-urs-rocco-sees-bright--ar-1989363/

Lehigh Football Nation
June 28th, 2012, 11:54 PM
This only makes sense in any of these possibilities:

* The CAA is expanding with only non-FB members. CAA football would then remain at 9 with 4 full-time members and 5 affiliates.
* The CAA is expanding with one or three Northern-based FB members. CAA football would then be 10 or 12 teams and split into divisions. (Two would make little sense since the league would be at 11 teams.)
* The CAA is losing at least one other full-time football-playing member, and URI is needed to keep the CAA football together and keep an autobid.
* URI is getting serious alumni blowback from reducing scholarships, and they want an exit strategy from the 40 scholarship NEC.

What this does seem to say is that America East still won't be sponsoring football, i.e., Elvis is still dead.

NHwildEcat
June 29th, 2012, 07:20 AM
This only makes sense in any of these possibilities:

* The CAA is expanding with only non-FB members. CAA football would then remain at 9 with 4 full-time members and 5 affiliates.
* The CAA is expanding with one or three Northern-based FB members. CAA football would then be 10 or 12 teams and split into divisions. (Two would make little sense since the league would be at 11 teams.)
* The CAA is losing at least one other full-time football-playing member, and URI is needed to keep the CAA football together and keep an autobid.
* URI is getting serious alumni blowback from reducing scholarships, and they want an exit strategy from the 40 scholarship NEC.

What this does seem to say is that America East still won't be sponsoring football, i.e., Elvis is still dead.

The day AE sponsors football is the day MplsBison is right about something.

aceinthehole
June 29th, 2012, 07:30 AM
The off-season rumormill keeps churning, and now there are whispers that the CAA may be courting Rhode Island to keep them in the fold for football.

Does it make sense for the CAA to try to keep a program that has been just on the other side of competitive over the course of conference history? Does it make sense for URI to reconsider their decision to leave the CAA arms race for the more affordable waters of the NEC, and how much would URI really save by moving?

We still don't know who the CAA might add and I don't think the rumors are that strong. If it's additional Southern schools like Elon, App St., and/or Coastal, then I think it is much less likely.

Of course it is always possible that URI stays in the CAA, but I would need to hear a lot more than just "whispers" before it would raise an eyebrow with me. They already signed a contract with the NEC (hence the announcement by the NEC & URI), therefore they'd probabbly have to pay an exit fee for breaking this deal. Is that something they can afford if cost-containment is one of their primary concerns?

PaladinFan
June 29th, 2012, 07:39 AM
We still don't know who the CAA might add and I don't think the rumors are that strong. If it's additional Southern schools like Elon, App St., and/or Coastal, then I think it is much less likely.

Of course it is always possible that URI stays in the CAA, but I would need to hear a lot more than just "whispers" before it would raise an eyebrow with me. They already signed a contract with the NEC (hence the announcement by the NEC & URI), therefore they'd probabbly have to pay an exit fee for breaking this deal. Is that something they can afford if cost-containment is one of their primary concerns?

There are rumors that Furman will join the Metro Atlantic Conference for men's lacrosse, which suggest to me that they are not considering the CAA (or vice versa). Like many have said on here, App State likely is not going anywhere. Coastal Carolina would take the offer in a heart beat. Elon probably won't move unless the addition of another southern school is involved.

NHwildEcat
June 29th, 2012, 07:43 AM
I think it would be nice to keep URI in the CAA, but the CAA is going to need to have some resolution soon on Stony Brook & Albany...let's get them in!

HailSzczur
June 29th, 2012, 08:06 AM
I think it would be nice to keep URI in the CAA, but the CAA is going to need to have some resolution soon on Stony Brook & Albany...let's get them in!

As far as possible expansion plans go, I would have to think this is one of the easier plans right? 1 member all ready in... If the two NY schools joined for all sports it would look to give the CAA a nice split around the Mason Dixon line for divisions.

NHwildEcat
June 29th, 2012, 08:09 AM
As far as possible expansion plans go, I would have to think this is one of the easier plans right? 1 member all ready in... If the two NY schools joined for all sports it would look to give the CAA a nice split around the Mason Dixon line for divisions.

It makes sense to me and the move I would push for if I had say in the CAA. However, it is two fold for UNH as if Albany and SBU join as full members, all of a sudden UNH is in a conference of 6 teams and no auto-bids...

Brad82
June 29th, 2012, 08:34 AM
This was floating around @ golf tourney: 1. CAA asked Rhody to stay. 2. Some accomodations would be made in scheduling to keep costs down for Rhody.

Yes,some alumni unhappy. But,Nova,Richmond,Temple,W&M,and New Haven all dropped down and came back stronger,proving winning builds excitement not conference affiliation.
Given the $$ and cents of it and the CAA falling apart,URI needs to make sure they are playing FB well into the future (one man's nickel).

danefan
June 29th, 2012, 08:49 AM
If Albany and SBU join as football only members, I would think Rhody might be convinced into staying.

North
Maine
UNH
URI
Albany
Stony Brook
Villanova

South
Delaware
Towson
JMU
Richmond
W&M
App State

Play your 5 division games, plus 1 guarantee game from the other division and 2 cross-divisional rotating games, leaving 3 OOC games. 1 FBS, 2 FCS.

Villanova gets its rivalry game against Delaware every year. Rhode Island can play Richmond in an A10 matchup every year and schedule a Northeastern FBS and two NEC teams as the other OOC.

I still don't see the motivation for App State to join the conference though.

Even without them you could add Coastal and achieve the same balance and perhaps greater stability.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 29th, 2012, 08:57 AM
It makes sense to me and the move I would push for if I had say in the CAA. However, it is two fold for UNH as if Albany and SBU join as full members, all of a sudden UNH is in a conference of 6 teams and no auto-bids...

With two members that value FCS football, and four non-FB members to boot. Does CCSU rush to join such a conference? Personally, I don't think so.

NHwildEcat
June 29th, 2012, 09:00 AM
With two members that value FCS football, and four non-FB members to boot. Does CCSU rush to join such a conference? Personally, I don't think so.

Yeah it would be a complete **** show in the AE if Albany and SBU were to leave...no other way to look at it really.

DFW HOYA
June 29th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Figuring JMU will eventually wander off, how's this for a more regional alignment in 2020?

North
Maine
UNH
URI
CCSU
Albany
Stony Brook

South
Delaware
Villanova
Towson
Richmond
W&M
Norfolk St.

henfan
June 29th, 2012, 09:29 AM
The rumors about Rhody reconsidering were also mentioned in a column by Kevin Tresolini of the Delaware News Journal during the CAA meetings. Since the rumors are coming from a couple media sources, there's probably something to it. Whether it ultimately happens or not, remains to be seen but it can't be a bad thing to keep Rhody in the fold.

aceinthehole
June 29th, 2012, 09:30 AM

Of course CCSU is interested in joining these schools in a football conferece - we wouldn't want to be left out, but it is a moot point as I don't think that option is in the cards right now.

Does the CAA want SBU and UA as football-only affiliates? If not, CCSU has no shot. If both schools do join and there is an interest from the AE-4 in bringing back URI and adding CCSU to make a Northern division, then of course I think we make that move.

However, in my opionion, the CAA must solve its all-sports membership issue before they address football affiliates.

MplsBison
June 29th, 2012, 09:31 AM
The day AE sponsors football is the day MplsBison is right about something.

I don't believe I made the claim that the AE would be sponsoring football.

I *want* the AE to take over the admin duties of the Yankee football conference from the CAA. But the reason for that is just to spite Delaware. Nothing would change for the Hens, they'd still be in the Yankee football conference. It would just be admin'ed by the AE instead of the CAA.

But it would ruin their little illusion of being in the same conference for all sports, which is why they blackmailed the CAA into taking the admin duties from the A10 in the first place.

MplsBison
June 29th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Figuring JMU will eventually wander off, how's this for a more regional alignment in 2020?

North
Maine
UNH
URI
CCSU
Albany
Stony Brook

South
Delaware
Villanova
Towson
Richmond
W&M
Norfolk St.

That's two different conferences. CAA and AE.

Why not split one auto-bid into two?

MplsBison
June 29th, 2012, 09:36 AM
The CAA isn't adding SB and Albany. Simple as that.

Look who's posting that fantasy anyway: fans from the north.

The CAA is expanding with southern schools and with a focus on basketball. That's the direction of the conference and that's what they must do to satisfy the new TV deal which was awarded based on VCU's performance (and they've now left). The TV network doesn't give a crap about Delaware football. UD was the ones who pushed hard for its inclusion in the deal.

Tim James
June 29th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Their stadium still isnt up to CAA standards and its more in line with NEC standards. No money in RI to build a new stadium or renovate the other side. That being said, UMaine, UNH, and URI all need to be in the same conference.

DFW HOYA
June 29th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Their stadium still isnt up to CAA standards and its more in line with NEC standards.

Most conferences don't enforce stadium standards. The Patriot League, for one.

BucBisonAtLarge
June 29th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I have really been impressed by the management of the NEC in all sports, but especially in football. As a region, the Northeast has been hemorrhaging programs, and the NEC has stabilized its programs, added Bryant and really does not need URI. Keeping three of the old Yankee Conference sounds like a good idea when you just lost to schools to the FBS.

danefan
June 29th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I have really been impressed by the management of the NEC in all sports, but especially in football. As a region, the Northeast has been hemorrhaging programs, and the NEC has stabilized its programs, added Bryant and really does not need URI. Keeping three of the old Yankee Conference sounds like a good idea when you just lost to schools to the FBS.

It's easy to be when most of your members have consistently limited ambition.

But yes, the NEC does not need URI or Albany in fact.

aceinthehole
June 29th, 2012, 12:53 PM
It's easy to be when most of your members have consistently limited ambition.

But yes, the NEC does not need URI or Albany in fact.

I understand the fact you, as a UA fan, would like to see more scholarships and would rather join the CAA, but let's not downplay the progress the ENTIRE league has made over the years.

In 1996, the NEC formed as a I-AA non-scholarship football league, while UA and SBU were still playing in D-II. The NEC champ beat the MAAC in the ECAC bowl in both 1996 and 1997.

Over the years the NEC has been able to attract multiple new members - Sacred Heart, Albany, Stony Brook, St. John's, Duquesne, Bryant, URI - while only losing 2 (SJU and SBU)

By 2007, the NEC allowed up to 30 grants in aid.

In 2010, the NEC was granted an AQ to the FCS playoffs.

For 2013, the NEC will allow up to 40 scholasrships.

During this period, the NEC has gone from a D-III funding model, to a cost-containment FCS league with a playoff bid. Not to mention, the improvements in scheduling from all members, and the non-conference wins over CAA, PL, Ivy, and MEAC programs.

The NEC is now able to consistantly compete with the PL and Ivy, something that was outright mocked on this board by everyone just 10 years ago.

DFW HOYA
June 29th, 2012, 01:08 PM
The NEC is now able to consistantly compete with the PL and Ivy, something that was outright mocked on this board by everyone just 10 years ago.

The NEC does not play enough games with these conferences to raise to the level of "consistently", just like the PL does not play enough CAA games to make a similar argument.

Brad82
June 29th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Facilities are a 2nd tier argument. There are plenty of schools with equal and worse facilities than Rhody that do fine.
Also,schools with worse attendance do better.

bluehenbillk
June 29th, 2012, 03:52 PM
The CAA isn't adding SB and Albany. Simple as that.

Look who's posting that fantasy anyway: fans from the north.

There has NEVER been talk about adding Albany outside of the 2 or 3 Dane fans on internet message boards....

Dane96
June 29th, 2012, 04:22 PM
OH yeah...you don't read the Richmond Times Dispatch much...do you?

So glad Danefan, myself and some others have that much clout to get a reporter to report on our "rumor" that we clearly started. xthumbsupx

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/sport/2012/jun/01/tdsport01-caa-looking-in-every-direction-for-new-m-ar-1956944/

You said NEVER. This equates to more than never (though admittedly a sliver at best).

aceinthehole
June 29th, 2012, 04:27 PM
The NEC does not play enough games with these conferences to raise to the level of "consistently", just like the PL does not play enough CAA games to make a similar argument.

Really? You don't think that the NEC has shown recently that they are competative with the PL and Ivy? The NEC is winning more of these non-conference matchups than it ever has before. Previously, a win by a NEC teams were considered a "fluke" - however, now it isn't too suprising when some NEC teams eneter the game as the "favorite"

NEC vs. Ivy (6-2)
W - CCSU at Columbia
W - Albany at Yale
L - Sacred Heart at Dartmouth
W - Wagner vs. Cornell
W - Albany at Columbia
W - Sacred Heart vs. Dartmouth
L- Wagner at Cornell
W - Sacred Heart at Columbia

NEC vs. Patriot (6-10)
W – CCSU at Lehigh
W – Duquesne vs. Bucknell
L – Monmouth at Colgate
L – Sacred Heart at Holy Cross
L – Robert Morris at Bucknell
L- Bryant at Fordham
W – Bryant vs. Fordham
W – Duquesne vs. Bucknell
L- Monmouth at Colgate
W - Wagner at Georgetown
W – Sacred Heart vs. Georgetown
L – Albany at Colgate
L – Duquesne at Bucknell
L – Monmouth vs. Lehigh
L – Monmouth vs. Colgate
L - Wagner vs. Georgetown

henfan
June 29th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Their stadium still isnt up to CAA standards and its more in line with NEC standards. No money in RI to build a new stadium or renovate the other side. That being said, UMaine, UNH, and URI all need to be in the same conference.

There really aren't any CAA standards for stadiums. As for sightlines, IMO, Meade is a better place to watch a game than UNH, Villanova and W&M. Do URI's facilities cause them to lose kids to UMaine or UNH, the only other full scholarship FCS programs remaining in NE? Seems like a stretch. I suppose we'll know in the not too distant future what URI's plans are.

DFW HOYA
June 29th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Really? You don't think that the NEC has shown recently that they are competative with the PL and Ivy? The NEC is winning more of these non-conference matchups than it ever has before. Previously, a win by a NEC teams were considered a "fluke" - however, now
it isn't too suprising when some NEC teams eneter the game as the "favorite"

I didn't say the NEC wasn't competitive, but I questioned whether it was consistently so. Of the six Ivy wins, half are vs. Columbia, and of the six PL wins, four are either Bucknell or Georgetown.

2-4, then 4-1, and then 0-5 vs. the PL is not consistent, but your point on competitiveness is taken.

Brad82
June 30th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Amen Hen Fan!
No,it is not the CAA. Also,the NEC is an up and coming conference.
Besides,it is not the CAA URI signed up for. UMASS,Hofstra,BU,Northeastern,Nova (attempted),Ga. State(planned?),ODU, all these transitions from Rhody's schedule need to be filled economically. Rhody lost 3/4 of their opponents here.

superman7515
June 30th, 2012, 01:56 PM
BU wasn't in the CAA, GaSt and ODU didn't have football when URI signed up, and Villanova didn't leave, so that's over half the teams you listed that have nothing to do with losing opponents from "the CAA URI signed up for".

kdinva
June 30th, 2012, 02:19 PM
....As for sightlines, IMO, Meade is a better place to watch a game than ......W&M....

Zable Stadium: Fine turf, fine lights, great Laycock Center.........press box = Row 5.

Brad82
July 2nd, 2012, 12:18 PM
Superman-bitter! UD looked awful vs. Rhody last year!

superman7515
July 2nd, 2012, 12:51 PM
Not bitter, just didn't realize the facts were getting in the way of your story. My bad.

bluehenbillk
July 2nd, 2012, 02:05 PM
Zable Stadium: Fine turf, fine lights, great Laycock Center.........press box = Row 5.

That's true - Villanova & W&M are not fun places to "watch" a game. If you haven't been to either I'd suggest as high a row as possible, if you're not above Row 10 - save yourself the trip & stay home.

bluehenbillk
July 2nd, 2012, 02:08 PM
OH yeah...you don't read the Richmond Times Dispatch much...do you?

So glad Danefan, myself and some others have that much clout to get a reporter to report on our "rumor" that we clearly started. xthumbsupx

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/sport/2012/jun/01/tdsport01-caa-looking-in-every-direction-for-new-m-ar-1956944/

You said NEVER. This equates to more than never (though admittedly a sliver at best).

John O'Connor is the R-TD writer that knows his shee-at. He must've been on vacation & had his intern write that slop. You were mentioned in the same breath as Monmouth, haha.

Dane96
July 2nd, 2012, 11:37 PM
Right....