PDA

View Full Version : NoCo Readies for Transition into Big Sky

TexasTerror
June 25th, 2006, 09:53 AM
The article talks about how NoCo's transition is set to go as well as some of the financial issues (NoCo's athletic budget represents about 60% of what Montana's budget is) that present themselves on top of the fact that NoCo will have 19 sports, three more than Colorado St and Colorado. Also, some discussion about the sports that have no home (namely baseball and softball) due to the move...

N. Colorado readies for transition into Big Sky conference
By TONY PHIFER
[email protected]

Nine years ago, the University of Northern Colorado stood atop the world of NCAA Division II football.

With coach Joe Glenn and his boundless enthusiasm leading the way, the Bears won back-to-back national championships in 1996-97, putting the Greeley school, so long overshadowed by its bigger rivals in Boulder and Fort Collins, on the map. Anything seemed possible for UNC, which for decades had struggled for recognition in a state dominated by the presence of the University of Colorado and Colorado State University.

Now, nine years after its last title, UNC is poised for another dramatic move. The Bears, already in transition from Division II to Division I-AA, this summer officially join the Big Sky Conference - one of the top leagues in I-AA.

Glenn, for one, is thrilled that his old school is making the jump.

"I'm all for it," said Glenn, entering his fourth season as Wyoming's coach. "I was at Northern Iowa and Northern Arizona when they made the move from Division II to Division I-AA, and it has worked out well for both. Northern Colorado is every bit as good as those schools and, in time, they will do well at that level."

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060625/SPORTS/606250351/1006

catbob
June 25th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Good article, thanks for the scoop. ;)

dbackjon
June 25th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks for posting that.

And I do hope UNC can keep Wrestling, Baseball and Softball. Sac St. already is an affiliate in Baseball to the WAC, so that would seem to be a good fit.

ncbears
June 25th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks for posting that.

And I do hope UNC can keep Wrestling, Baseball and Softball. Sac St. already is an affiliate in Baseball to the WAC, so that would seem to be a good fit.

Thanks for the props. I hope we get into the WAC in baseball too. We have such a great history in baseball. Several trips to the College World Series a while ago. We beat Kansas and Nebraska and Witchita State in baseball this season.

ncbears
June 25th, 2006, 10:34 PM
The article talks about how NoCo's transition is set to go as well as some of the financial issues (NoCo's athletic budget represents about 60% of what Montana's budget is) that present themselves on top of the fact that NoCo will have 19 sports, three more than Colorado St and Colorado. Also, some discussion about the sports that have no home (namely baseball and softball) due to the move...

N. Colorado readies for transition into Big Sky conference
By TONY PHIFER
[email protected]

Nine years ago, the University of Northern Colorado stood atop the world of NCAA Division II football.

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060625/SPORTS/606250351/1006

It's hard to believe it's been nine years since the glory days (with the acception of going to the d2 semis in 2002). Hopefully we can get back to those wining ways. I've been a Bears fan for a long time and I am not used to these losing seasons. Makes me ill.

Green Cookie Monster
June 26th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Good luck Bears.

Fresno State just cut wrestling, so another western wrestling program is gone. Seems wrestling is the sport to cut (30-40 roster).

RabidRabbit
June 26th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Know that the Western Wrestling conference lost Fresno State. But the six remaining schools are all within a long day's drive of each other. Three along I-25, two I-29 and one not on an interstate (UNI)

Hope the duals are getting scheduled. That should be an incredibly tough wrestling conference.:thumbsup:

MplsBison
June 26th, 2006, 05:23 PM
The Waterloo area is served by I-380.

GrizzlyEdd
June 26th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Great article, especially the props from Joe Glenn. He is well liked wherever he goes. Has three nat'l championships, two with UNC and one with UM. Nice guy and knows his stuff.

Good luck to UNC this fall and looking forward to seeing the Griz down there.:nod: