PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk football, summer workouts

chattownmocs
June 25th, 2012, 10:33 AM
http://timesfreepress.com/news/2012/jun/25/haynes-works-to-know-mocs-utc-dean-haynes/?sports

The Mocs are going hard. What about your squad.

MplsBison
June 25th, 2012, 10:39 AM
NDSU players generally take the summer off. The coaches mandate a summer filled with sleeping in, staying out late and partying hard and eating whatever they want (especially Chinese buffet and fried, state fair style foods). Getting arrested for fighting, possession of marijuana and impregnating various females is not required but strongly encouraged.

bobcathpdevil56
June 25th, 2012, 10:48 AM
NDSU players generally take the summer off. The coaches mandate a summer filled with sleeping in, staying out late and partying hard and eating whatever they want (especially Chinese buffet and fried, state fair style foods). Getting arrested for fighting, possession of marijuana and impregnating various females is not required but strongly encouraged.

Hahaha, Good post

AppAlum2003
June 25th, 2012, 11:48 AM

Dangit... you beat me to it. You did, however, forget to mention the server farm built for players to play MW3 against each other online from their dorm rooms.

eaglewraith
June 25th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I'm just gonna leave this here: http://www.statesboroherald.com/section/291/article/41765/

I'm not sure our workout program can contend with NDSU's. Maybe we need to take some cues from them. Apparently it works really well.

MplsBison
June 25th, 2012, 07:07 PM
I'm just gonna leave this here: http://www.statesboroherald.com/section/291/article/41765/

I'm not sure our workout program can contend with NDSU's. Maybe we need to take some cues from them. Apparently it works really well.

I like the Yoga on wednesdays. That's probably a little wrinkle that a lot of teams don't do.

But every DI team in the nation (even the Pioneer League teams) has "voluntary" workouts in the summer that consist of olympic lifting programs and running-based conditioning programs.

It's a simple matter of keeping up with the jones's, although every strength coach in the nation feeds his family with talk of "winning games in the summer" and "building an advantage on the field via the squat rack". Not that they're lying, not at all. It's just there is no such thing as a team that won a game because they lifted more weights than the other team or worked harder. Every team busts their a__es in the summer. It's as standard now as fall camp.

eaglewraith
June 25th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I like the Yoga on wednesdays. That's probably a little wrinkle that a lot of teams don't do.

But every DI team in the nation (even the Pioneer League teams) has "voluntary" workouts in the summer that consist of olympic lifting programs and running-based conditioning programs.

It's a simple matter of keeping up with the jones's, although every strength coach in the nation feeds his family with talk of "winning games in the summer" and "building an advantage on the field via the squat rack". Not that they're lying, not at all. It's just there is no such thing as a team that won a game because they lifted more weights than the other team or worked harder. Every team busts their a__es in the summer. It's as standard now as fall camp.

On our level though, it's not exactly common to see EVERY player participating in offseason workouts. Also the advanced vision training drills the team optometrist is spearheading are fairly new as well.

Not saying it's beyond the scope of everyone else out there, just not something you see all that often in FCS.

EKU-n-GSU
June 26th, 2012, 12:20 PM
On our level though, it's not exactly common to see EVERY player participating in offseason workouts. Also the advanced vision training drills the team optometrist is spearheading are fairly new as well.

Not saying it's beyond the scope of everyone else out there, just not something you see all that often in FCS.
Got some interesting feedback from my son on the vision training - definitely designed to increase hand-eye coordination AND help w/the footwork. Knowing how much they lift, you'd think the yoga was a 'break' from training but they do a version of 'power' yoga that is just about as tough as the weights. I would break into 48 pieces...

Apphole
June 26th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Got some interesting feedback from my son on the vision training - definitely designed to increase hand-eye coordination AND help w/the footwork. Knowing how much they lift, you'd think the yoga was a 'break' from training but they do a version of 'power' yoga that is just about as tough as the weights. I would break into 48 pieces...

http://www.worldwidewaddie.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/naked-yoga.jpg

Apphole
June 26th, 2012, 01:02 PM

http://www.worldwidewaddie.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/naked-yoga.jpg

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 26th, 2012, 01:07 PM

Yoga = more flexibility = higher range of motion = less chance of injuries

Apphole
June 26th, 2012, 01:10 PM

And....you know.... You can S your own D....

MplsBison
June 26th, 2012, 01:42 PM

That sounds nice in theory.

McNeese72
June 26th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Cowboys are working hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aFkAUaL08o&feature=player_embedded#t=0s

Doc

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 26th, 2012, 02:09 PM
That sounds nice in theory.

There is no "in theory" about it. People who are more flexible are going to be less prone to injuries especially in contact sports.