PDA

View Full Version : Wichita State Football Talks Start Again

Bison_Kent
June 24th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Living near Wichita, I certainly hope the Shockers restart football. It appears that the city will provide more money to Wichita State. Personally, I know that Wichita could support a team at the I-AA level.

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/14889121.htm

Here is a link to a picture of the Wichita State football stadium that sits empty, other than a few high school games and the WSU track & field.

http://webs.wichita.edu/gs/cessnastadium.html

Bison_Kent
June 24th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Here is another article on the WSU football situation.

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/14892379.htm

TexasTerror
June 24th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Gateway Conference membership for Wichita St?

That'd give them nine teams. Eight conference games, four each week with one team having a bye weekly. Three out of conference games (with 11 game schedule).

Of course, with talks of Western Kentucky and or Youngstown St leaving at some point, maybe this would be the "replacement"...

Bison Kent, when you rolling out another column? :thumbsup:

douglasdmb
June 24th, 2006, 08:21 AM
BRING EM ON!!!!!

:anim_chai

UAalum72
June 24th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Since 'one leg of the stool' is an advanced sale of 17,000 tickets (and the second article mentions I-A) it doesn't look like they're considering anything other than I-A.

douglasdmb
June 24th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Not just 17,000 tickets, but 17,000 tickets at $150 a piece.

They'd be stupid if they jumped right to I-A.

Let em do it. :)

Hansel
June 24th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Since 'one leg of the stool' is an advanced sale of 17,000 tickets (and the second article mentions I-A) it doesn't look like they're considering anything other than I-A.
the article does mention I-A football (no mention of I-AA)

eagle1
June 24th, 2006, 12:05 PM
I left that area three years ago to move out to the inland northwest and this has been a topic for quite some time there. The alumni and the city wants to bring back football but the university administration wants no part of it. Personally, the city of Wichita would support a I-AA program but not another DI. There are too many Oklahoma State (2 hours away), Kansas State, and University of Kansas fans in that area that would not spend their money on Wichita State. Seriously, I don't think that it will ever happen because the current administration doesn't want it back. They would also have to do some major renovations to Cessna Stadium because it pretty much hasn't been taken care of since 1987. I would love to see them bring back football at the I-AA level and compete in the Gateway but I seriously doubt that it will happen anytime soon. Go Eagles!!!

BearsCountry
June 24th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Good I hope the Shox bring back football. I'm sure they would start out at the I-AA level first.

crunifan
June 24th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Are you guys sure you want Wichita State to have football? Because that means there fans would be here, and if you think Youngstown State fans can be bad you haven't see NOTHIN' yet. xlolx

Seriously though, there fans are the worst ever. Any Valley fan can tell you that.

BearsCountry
June 24th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Are you guys sure you want Wichita State to have football? Because that means there fans would be here, and if you think Youngstown State fans can be bad you haven't see NOTHIN' yet. xlolx

Seriously though, there fans are the worst ever. Any Valley fan can tell you that.

Yeah that is the downside but beating them would be so sweet.

skinny_uncle
June 24th, 2006, 02:54 PM

Just what we need. The infamous C0|db|00ded on AGS. I tremble at the thought. Heaven help us all if it happens.
http://bestsmileys.com/scared/8.gif

BearsCountry
June 24th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Just what we need. The infamous C0|db|00ded on AGS. I tremble at the thought. Heaven help us all if it happens.

Yeah all we need would be to here that Wichita State is the class of Gateway football. How Cessna is the greatest football stadium in the league, how they have the most money, best fans, etc.

CollegeSportsInfo
June 24th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Gateway Conference membership for Wichita St?

That'd give them nine teams. Eight conference games, four each week with one team having a bye weekly. Three out of conference games (with 11 game schedule).

Of course, with talks of Western Kentucky and or Youngstown St leaving at some point, maybe this would be the "replacement"...

Bison Kent, when you rolling out another column? :thumbsup:

Wichita St. football could make things interesting between the Gateway, MVC , mid-Con and GWFC.

If the Mid-Con were to add some/all the Dakota schools, they could make the GWFC sponsorship shift official by simply changing the name to Mid-Con football or perhaps dropping the Mid-Con title for all sports in favor of the Great West...since it's slightly more marketable.

Under such a scenario, Western Illinois would need to make the switch over to the Great West/Mid-Con:

Great West / Mid-Con:
* North Dakota
* North Dakota St.
* South Dakota St.
Centenary
IUPUI
Oakland
Oral Roberts
Southern Utah
UMKC
Western Illinois

Football:
* North Dakota
* North Dakota St.
* South Dakota St.
Southern Utah
Western Illinois
~Cal-Davis (football associate member)
~Cal-Poly (football associate member)

As for the Missouri Valley Conference, Wichoita St. addiing football would make 6 MVC football members, and enable the league to essentially pull a sponsorship switch ala the CAA:

MVC All-Sport:
Bradley
Creighton
Drake
Evansville
Illinois State
Indiana State
Missouri State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Wichita State

FOOTBALL:
Wichita State
Illinois State
Indiana State
Missouri State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
~Western Kentucky (football associate member)
~Youngstown State (football associate member)

If WKU were to upgrade I'd be curious to see what wouldhappen with YSU. Would YSU have any interest in an A10/AE league or the CAA?

skinny_uncle
June 24th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Yeah all we need would be to here that Wichita State is the class of Gateway football. How Cessna is the greatest football stadium in the league, how they have the most money, best fans, etc.
And of course how the Salukis play "ugly" football.

And then there all those explanations of "the Shocker"
http://re2.mm-b1.yimg.com/image/956895524

89rabbit
June 24th, 2006, 04:13 PM

Oh, so they are like NDSU fans. . . . Just kidding Bison. :smiley_wi

MSUBear42
June 24th, 2006, 04:43 PM
And of course how the Salukis play "ugly" football.

And then there all those explanations of "the Shocker"
http://re2.mm-b1.yimg.com/image/956895524

It's cool if they try to justify the shocker as a thing of wheat... but when everyone associated with the University does the dang 'two in the ...., one in the..." symbol, it kinda defeats the purpose.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 24th, 2006, 06:25 PM
MVC All-Sport:
Bradley
Creighton
Drake
Evansville
Illinois State
Indiana State
Missouri State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Wichita State

FOOTBALL:
Wichita State
Illinois State
Indiana State
Missouri State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
~Western Kentucky (football associate member)
~Youngstown State (football associate member)

If WKU were to upgrade I'd be curious to see what wouldhappen with YSU. Would YSU have any interest in an A10/AE league or the CAA?

There's the trouble with your scenario - the two Pioneer schools. If the MVC sponsored football Drake and Butler would have to go along or drop football (I think).

*Nobody* wants to leave the MVC, so maybe Butler and Drake could be persuaded (or arm-twisted) to join that scholarship conference... if the MVC want football that badly Do they?

BearsCountry
June 24th, 2006, 08:19 PM
There's the trouble with your scenario - the two Pioneer schools. If the MVC sponsored football Drake and Butler would have to go along or drop football (I think).

*Nobody* wants to leave the MVC, so maybe Butler and Drake could be persuaded (or arm-twisted) to join that scholarship conference... if the MVC want football that badly Do they?

Butler isn't in the MVC. Also I think they were just talking about basically just changing the name of the Gateway to the MVC.

CollegeSportsInfo
June 25th, 2006, 11:45 AM

You are mistaken. Did the Big East kick out Villanova? Georgetown? Did the A10 kick out LaSalle? Duquesne? It doesn't work that way. The Western Illinois scenario is closer to what you are referring to. Depending on the structure of the conference membership agreements, ther emight be a provision that would "urge" Westenr Illinois to join the Mid-Con for football if the league fully sponsored the sport.

crunifan
June 25th, 2006, 02:30 PM
On second though, I say add them. I'm sure Indiana State would like to starting having gimme games too. xlolx

June 25th, 2006, 11:41 PM
...Personally, the city of Wichita would support a I-AA program but not another DI...*sigh* : smh :

eagle1
June 26th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Sorry Ralph! I ment to say I-A but the D just slipped in front. Go Eagles!!!

skinny_uncle
June 26th, 2006, 06:12 PM
It's cool if they try to justify the shocker as a thing of wheat... but when everyone associated with the University does the dang 'two in the ...., one in the..." symbol, it kinda defeats the purpose.
Trying to stay away from that subject. There are children here.
:o

skinny_uncle
June 26th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Of course, then we could introduce C0|db|00ded to Lorenzo Wims and that would be the end of that.
http://bestsmileys.com/sports1/12.gif

skinny_uncle
June 27th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Examples of C0|db|00ded taken from Valleytalk:

The stench of fear to the idea of WSU restarting D1 football is very pungent in this thread...

It's a great day to be loved by your city!

T

Relax guys.. it's not like we wouldn't play you in football if we restart. It has already been pointed out that we would get to schedule one cream-puff D2 game every year as an exhibition. Every year we would play NIU, SIU-C, or SWOMO as our pre-season laugher/tune-up.

It's a great day to be a Shocker!

T

It's a great day to be the financial class of the Valley! In Wichita, money grows on trees...

For those not familiar with this pompous Shox fan, maybe you can now have a better understanding of why most of the Gateway would prefer not to have the Shox field a football team.
:twocents:

douglasdmb
June 28th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Gotta love the MVC people uniting in their hatred for WSU. It's almost therapeutic.

:bawling:

skinny_uncle
June 29th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Gotta love the MVC people uniting in their hatred for WSU. It's almost therapeutic.

:bawling:
http://www.emotihost.com/ver1/lol/4.gif