PDA

View Full Version : Doug Fullerton BSC Commissioner on Boise Radio

ursus arctos horribilis
June 19th, 2012, 05:19 PM
click this RIGHT NOW.

http://www.630thefan.com/pages/listen_live

ursus arctos horribilis
June 19th, 2012, 05:20 PM
The host is interviewing live right now. Great interview.

Dane96
June 19th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Is he talking about my prowess?

ursus arctos horribilis
June 19th, 2012, 05:27 PM
He just got done. Said the Roots Sports deal was better than the WAC TV deal so U of I would be taking a step up there as well. Boise may be talking to BSC as well for other sports. Fullerton said that there are also a few other schools contacting the BSC but didn't intimate exactly who but NM State was mentioned.

Now there is some good fire going on with callers calling in. It's really a good listen.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 19th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Is he talking about my prowess?

It was mentioned briefly.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 19th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Makena Sims (QB commit) to MT from Boise will be coming up in the next 5-10 minutes as well.

CrazyCat
June 19th, 2012, 05:46 PM
How about the caller who couldn't figure out why Idaho would be good for the Big Sky.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 19th, 2012, 05:48 PM
How about the caller who couldn't figure out why Idaho would be good for the Big Sky.

Chris, I couldn't figure that dude out at all. Man he was off his rocker.

Holy **** this commit is a year early and his deep voice makes him sounds like at least a 30 yr. old.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 19th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I'm confused though. They are talking about Capital and can't figure if this is from Boise or Helena?

bojeta
June 19th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Can anyone update those who were not logged on at the time of the interview?

ursus arctos horribilis
June 19th, 2012, 05:50 PM

I will when it's over with Makena.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 19th, 2012, 06:06 PM

Riley Corchrane, the dude that has the show just said the interviews will be available on:

630thefan.com

so you should be able to DL the interviews there shortly. If anyone does can you come and put the link here for others?

Screamin_Eagle174
June 19th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Riley Corchrane, the dude that has the show just said the interviews will be available on:

630thefan.com

so you should be able to DL the interviews there shortly. If anyone does can you come and put the link here for others?

I will whenever they post it. So far, no go. Shouldn't take that long to upload. Then again, they don't have any new podcasts in like 4 days.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 19th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I will whenever they post it. So far, no go. Shouldn't take that long to upload. Then again, they don't have any new podcasts in like 4 days.

Well, I tweeted then saying great interview by Riley so maybe tweeting and asking them when we can DL this segment will help? Don't want to twitter bomb em' cuz it might not go up until after the show is over but later tonight we make it known that there are some interested parties out here.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 19th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Well, I tweeted then saying great interview by Riley so maybe tweeting and asking them when we can DL this segment will help? Don't want to twitter bomb em' cuz it might not go up until after the show is over but later tonight we make it known that there are some interested parties out here.

Hopefully.

bojeta
June 19th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Found a recap of the interview online: http://www.theupsetblog.com/2012/06/big-sky-commissioner-speaks-on-idaho.html#more

Screamin_Eagle174
June 19th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Thanks!

Found a recap of the interview online: http://www.theupsetblog.com/2012/06/big-sky-commissioner-speaks-on-idaho.html#more

ursus arctos horribilis
June 19th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Go to this page and hit the 5th one down (Doug Fullerton Interview) and you can get the audio...or part of it anyway. I haven't listened to it all yet.

http://www.630thefan.com/pages/on_demand

dgtw
June 20th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Chris, I couldn't figure that dude out at all. Man he was off his rocker.

So what else did Mpls have to say?

alvinkayak6
June 20th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Doug Fullerton = World Domination

darell1976
June 20th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Would Fullerton invite NMState if they and Idaho both wanted in?

11 more days until we are members!!!!!!

bojeta
June 20th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Would Fullerton invite NMState if they and Idaho both wanted in?

11 more days until we are members!!!!!!

I think he hinted to the fact that he would not like to go beyond 14 teams unless it was absolutely necessary. He said something to the effect of wanting an even number and not wanting to make the mistake the WAC did by going to 16 teams and then falling apart.

kittiekop
June 20th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Capital HS in Boise.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 20th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Capital HS in Boise.

Yeah, i was listening live and sort of confused but it became clear later in the interview it was Boise. Hell I was treating this like a game thread trying to get it out as it was happening...not doing a good job kk but I was googlin', postin', & rollin" while it was going on.

Fullerton came off real well in that one as a very proactive and knowledgeable Commissioner so thanks for loaning him to the conference Cats. A sharp & humble dude.

darell1976
June 20th, 2012, 06:49 PM
I think he hinted to the fact that he would not like to go beyond 14 teams unless it was absolutely necessary. He said something to the effect of wanting an even number and not wanting to make the mistake the WAC did by going to 16 teams and then falling apart.

With 14-16 teams you might as well split into divisions, but does that work in the FCS?

Tod
June 20th, 2012, 07:19 PM
With 14-16 teams you might as well split into divisions, but does that work in the FCS?

Sure, just can't have a championship game.

darell1976
June 20th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Sure, just can't have a championship game.

That sucks.

frozennorth
June 20th, 2012, 07:53 PM
with 16 teams you might as well have two conferences.

SpiritCymbal
June 20th, 2012, 11:17 PM
So is Idaho back to the Big Sky a real possibility or just fluff and/or wishful thinking?

Screamin_Eagle174
June 21st, 2012, 12:48 AM
So is Idaho back to the Big Sky a real possibility or just fluff and/or wishful thinking?

Real possibility, IMO. They don't have anywhere else to go, and can't possibly survive the Independent route for very long.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 07:10 AM
with 16 teams you might as well have two conferences.

Correct.

All you're doing is taking 2 auto-bids and turning it into one.

Just because the Big Sky contains 12 mediocre west region teams does not mean they'll deserve or get 5-6 teams in the playoffs.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 07:11 AM
Real possibility, IMO. They don't have anywhere else to go, and can't possibly survive the Independent route for very long.

If they can't "survive" as an FBS indepenent then they can't survive in the Big Sky. Costs won't be any different except a small decrease in scholarships.

They'll drop football before going back to the Big Sky. Rightly so.

darell1976
June 21st, 2012, 08:44 AM
If they can't "survive" as an FBS indepenent then they can't survive in the Big Sky. Costs won't be any different except a small decrease in scholarships.

Are you kidding?? FCS is a lot cheaper than the FBS and if you are in a conference in the FCS thats a lot cheaper than the Indy league..ask Notre Dame, Army, Navy, and now BYU what their costs are going to be. I am sure Idaho would go bankrupt. Their schedule would be like UND's was in the GWFC...all over the map. In the BSC Idaho would have teams in the same time zone or close to it only UND, and Cal Poly are furthest away from them. BSC has revenue sharing for travel what does the Indy league provide?? If Idaho was in the Indy league how many teams would travel to Moscow? UND? Montana? Maybe New Mexico State? No big name team (Alabama, LSU, even Boise State) will travel there. Financially its wiser to drop down to the FCS where you will have a conference home.

UNDColorado
June 21st, 2012, 09:49 AM
Correct.

All you're doing is taking 2 auto-bids and turning it into one.

Just because the Big Sky contains 12 mediocre west region teams does not mean they'll deserve or get 5-6 teams in the playoffs.

Haha, this coming from a ndsu troll. Looking at some of the tough OOC games that Big Sky teams have scheduled with other conferences (Southland & Socon) and within the conference I would say that until ndsu and other MVFC teams get the cupcakes off of their schedules; 5 playoff spots is very reasonable. Especially if Idaho eventually joins.

kittiekop
June 21st, 2012, 10:47 AM

I would go so far as to say that its a forgone conclusion. They will either be back in the Big Sky, or if they can't swallow that, they'll just drop the program (which isn't likely tho). There's no way they can survive as an independent. I don't think even Idaho diehards think the Vandals can be considered in the same sentence as BYU, Notre Dame, etc. They might make a run for a year or two, but I just don't think financially, and for all the other reasons they can make it.

The end of the day, really, what are they gaining grasping at the FBS straw? They had one bowl game a few years ago that no one cared about. They struggle winning games and stuggle filling the dome. Come home to the BSC they'd be an instant competitor and I'd wager to say with the renewal of old rivalries within a couple years they'll see their attendance rise. I guess though these are all issues FCS fans argue about all the time when the "move up or don't move up" discussions start at their schools. Its the same arguments as staying or moving down.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 11:30 AM
Are you kidding?? FCS is a lot cheaper than the FBS and if you are in a conference in the FCS thats a lot cheaper than the Indy league..ask Notre Dame, Army, Navy, and now BYU what their costs are going to be. I am sure Idaho would go bankrupt. Their schedule would be like UND's was in the GWFC...all over the map. In the BSC Idaho would have teams in the same time zone or close to it only UND, and Cal Poly are furthest away from them. BSC has revenue sharing for travel what does the Indy league provide?? If Idaho was in the Indy league how many teams would travel to Moscow? UND? Montana? Maybe New Mexico State? No big name team (Alabama, LSU, even Boise State) will travel there. Financially its wiser to drop down to the FCS where you will have a conference home.

Travel costs in the Big Sky won't be any cheaper. I doubt highly there is a significant reimbursement from the Big Sky. Not enough money in those programs to afford that and Montana alone sure ain't gonna pay everyone's meal ticket.

The only cheaper costs for Idaho would be going to 63 scholarship from 85 (if they're even at that right now, might be as low as upper 70's).

You'll have to put an actual explanation forth if you want to convince anyone other than yourself or Doug Fullerton that Idaho should join the Big Sky. Their fans know better and so does your grandmother!

They will give FBS independence a chance, above anything else. There are major changes to college football coming just around the bend. If they can hang on a few more years, then they could potentially avoid the pitfalls of playing FCS football out west and ultimately being forced to drop the program.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2012, 11:30 AM

Well Fullerton said the Roots TV Deal is better than WAC deal and they will save 2-3 million/yr. so the cost savings are fairly big even if you want to say it's just scholarships.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 11:33 AM
I would go so far as to say that its a forgone conclusion. They will either be back in the Big Sky, or if they can't swallow that, they'll just drop the program (which isn't likely tho). There's no way they can survive as an independent. I don't think even Idaho diehards think the Vandals can be considered in the same sentence as BYU, Notre Dame, etc. They might make a run for a year or two, but I just don't think financially, and for all the other reasons they can make it.

The end of the day, really, what are they gaining grasping at the FBS straw? They had one bowl game a few years ago that no one cared about. They struggle winning games and stuggle filling the dome. Come home to the BSC they'd be an instant competitor and I'd wager to say with the renewal of old rivalries within a couple years they'll see their attendance rise. I guess though these are all issues FCS fans argue about all the time when the "move up or don't move up" discussions start at their schools. Its the same arguments as staying or moving down.

Only foregone conclusion is that Idaho's top 3 priorities are not dropping down to the FCS.

That's directly from the horse's mouth (Idaho's AD).

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 11:33 AM
Well Fullerton said the Roots TV Deal is better than WAC deal and they will save 2-3 million/yr. so the cost savings are fairly big even if you want to say it's just scholarships.

He's lying. Big time.

Probably talking 15 scholarship difference times what, $20k a year cost for a scholarship? There you go, $300k a year savings.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2012, 11:56 AM
He's lying. Big time.

Probably talking 15 scholarship difference times what, $20k a year cost for a scholarship? There you go, $300k a year savings.

Sure thing. As usual I'll certainly trust your take on the matter.xlolx

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 11:57 AM

Much easier to make an insult than to try working out an example of your own. I understand.

If $300k is breaking the bank, it's not time to drop down to FCS. It's time to drop the program.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2012, 12:00 PM
Much easier to make an insult than to try working out an example of your own. I understand.

If $300k is breaking the bank, it's not time to drop down to FCS. It's time to drop the program.

I know your game slick, hell we all know your game. I'll take your ball and bounce it off your head when I feel like you can actually make an argument. I'm not gonna come steal it from ya when you make that kind of a weak attempt. You're gonna have to work at it a little if you want me to play. That ain't cutting it.

CrazyCat
June 21st, 2012, 12:01 PM
He's lying. Big time.

He didn't say monetarily better. 12 games for the BSC on ROOT compared to 2 games for the WAC on ESPN.

bojeta
June 21st, 2012, 12:10 PM

I'm not claiming to have all the info on this one either, but (just letting my mind wander here)... wouldn't the thousands of miles in travel savings each year have a significant impact on cost? Wouldn't there be at least a couple hundred thousand dollar savings NOT having to pay an FCS team to come to Moscow each year? I'm sure the list could go on and on regarding savings associated with not trying to maintain an FBS program that does not generate FBS style revenues. But then again, maybe I'm totally wrong. It would be really helpful to any program considering moving up or down to have a detailed accounting of the costs/savings. I hope that whatever comes of this, we get to see that.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 12:25 PM
I know your game slick, hell we all know your game. I'll take your ball and bounce it off your head when I feel like you can actually make an argument. I'm not gonna come steal it from ya when you make that kind of a weak attempt. You're gonna have to work at it a little if you want me to play. That ain't cutting it.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 12:26 PM
I'm not claiming to have all the info on this one either, but (just letting my mind wander here)... wouldn't the thousands of miles in travel savings each year have a significant impact on cost? Wouldn't there be at least a couple hundred thousand dollar savings NOT having to pay an FCS team to come to Moscow each year? I'm sure the list could go on and on regarding savings associated with not trying to maintain an FBS program that does not generate FBS style revenues. But then again, maybe I'm totally wrong. It would be really helpful to any program considering moving up or down to have a detailed accounting of the costs/savings. I hope that whatever comes of this, we get to see that.

Big Sky travel is thousands of miles. What savings?

If they can't afford to bring in Eastern Washington on a guarantee, then don't. Just stick to home/home or home for 2 away contracts with FBS schools.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 21st, 2012, 12:27 PM

He keeps forgetting to end all his posts with "hope this helps"

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2012, 12:30 PM

Yes.

The fact that you are insulted because I don't take your word over the BSC commissioner says all it needs to.xlolx

darell1976
June 21st, 2012, 12:33 PM
Big Sky travel is thousands of miles. What savings?

If they can't afford to bring in Eastern Washington on a guarantee, then don't. Just stick to home/home or home for 2 away contracts with FBS schools.

And Indy travel isn't? Flying from Moscow to Miami is not 100 miles Rand McNally. In Indy you need to schedule 12 games...good luck finding 12 FBS teams around Idaho to play every year.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 12:34 PM
He didn't say monetarily better. 12 games for the BSC on ROOT compared to 2 games for the WAC on ESPN.

12 football games next season on Fox Sports Northwest isn't a bad deal.

But just like the CAA deal, you can bet that the TV network is only going to take the games that they think will have the best ratings (not necessarily the best teams playing). No guarantee Idaho would get any games on TV (unless there is some clause requiring ever team to get at least X games, doubt it).

However, it's nothing more than an argument of convenience for Fullerton to make. Idaho isn't going to be in the WAC any longer than any other team.

He knows damn well that the real comparison is to the Mountain West's TV coverage, to which the Big Sky has no leg to stand on. It's nothing more than point down at a guy who's just had his legs and arms cut off and saying "Ha! Look at that poor bastard! We're better than him!!"

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 12:35 PM
Yes.

The fact that you are insulted because I don't take your word over the BSC commissioner says all it needs to.xlolx

Didn't say I was insulted.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 12:37 PM
And Indy travel isn't? Flying from Moscow to Miami is not 100 miles Rand McNally. In Indy you need to schedule 12 games...good luck finding 12 FBS teams around Idaho to play every year.

I don't know why I think this, but for some reason I'm pretty sure I could find more than 12 FBS schools that are closer to Idaho than UND, UNC, NAU, Cal Poly, etc.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2012, 12:37 PM

You have no leverage for home and homes. You have to take what you can get and be on the road a majority of the time. How does that do anything for your home grown fans? You can do nothing but weaken your home base with that sort of thing because you won't be winning (likely) and you won't give the home fans much to look at and build that culture around ID either.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 12:43 PM
You have no leverage for home and homes. You have to take what you can get and be on the road a majority of the time. How does that do anything for your home grown fans? You can do nothing but weaken your home base with that sort of thing because you won't be winning (likely) and you won't give the home fans much to look at and build that culture around ID either.

Words spoken by someone who has no clue what they're talking about and wants desperately for the situation to seem as hopeless as possible.

The mere fact that Idaho's AD has already gone public with Idaho's top 4 priorities, the top 3 of which involve staying in the FBS, defeats you outright. Best to shut your mouth for the time being.

darell1976
June 21st, 2012, 12:49 PM
I don't know why I think this, but for some reason I'm pretty sure I could find more than 12 FBS schools that are closer to Idaho than UND, UNC, NAU, Cal Poly, etc.

Look at the OOC FBS teams Idaho has had to travel to:
Bowling Green
LSU
North Carolina
BYU
OOC FBS home games
Wyoming

Yep...if they don't get home and home games...they are screwed in Indy land.

CrazyCat
June 21st, 2012, 12:55 PM
Words spoken by someone who has no clue what they're talking about and wants desperately for the situation to seem as hopeless as possible.

The mere fact that Idaho's AD has already gone public with Idaho's top 4 priorities, the top 3 of which involve staying in the FBS, defeats you outright. Best to shut your mouth for the time being.

My top 3 priorities (in no particular order) are world peace, solving the debt crisis, and bedding Kate Upton. Kinda like Idaho the odds of accomplishing them are very low.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2012, 01:15 PM
My top 3 priorities (in no particular order) are world peace, solving the debt crisis, and bedding Kate Upton. Kinda like Idaho the odds of accomplishing them are very low.

I'm rootin' for ya in any case.

asumike83
June 21st, 2012, 01:27 PM
I'm rootin' for ya in any case.

Well, other than the Kate Upton part. She is mine!

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2012, 01:37 PM
Well, other than the Kate Upton part. She is mine!

She's everyone's. There are old ladies that have dusted off their egg baskets over that girl.

dgtw
June 21st, 2012, 05:32 PM
I'm sure he said he wants to stay in the FBS. Do you really expect him to say. "Man, we're losing our shirts in FBS. Now our league has fallen apart and the MWC won't be nice and take us in, so I'm filling out the Big Sky membership paperwork as I speak. This will be a lot better than flying down to Tuscaloosa and getting our brains beaten in."?

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 07:43 PM
Look at the OOC FBS teams Idaho has had to travel to:
Bowling Green
LSU
North Carolina
BYU
OOC FBS home games
Wyoming

Yep...if they don't get home and home games...they are screwed in Indy land.

Completely irrelevant.

Those were scheduled during a time when Idaho had the comfort of 8 guaranteed games in the WAC. In other words, who cares if they had to travel for a non-conference game?

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 07:48 PM

If those top 3 are analogous to Idaho's top 3, then your 4th, analogous to Idaho's 4th priority of dropping down to the Big Sky in all sports, would be something like "contract drug-resistant gonorrhea".

slostang
June 21st, 2012, 07:49 PM
You guys most enjoy arguing with a fence post because you have a better chance of getting the fence post to listen to reason. I can not tell if he really believes the cr@p he spews or if he just enjoys tugging on everyone's chain.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2012, 07:49 PM
Completely irrelevant.

Those were scheduled during a time when Idaho had the comfort of 8 guaranteed games in the WAC. In other words, who cares if they had to travel for a non-conference game?

Honestly, don't you think they will probably have to do a whole lot more traveling now if they stay FBS? They will be between a rock & a hard place and have little to bargain with now if I don't miss my guess.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 07:50 PM
I'm sure he said he wants to stay in the FBS. Do you really expect him to say. "Man, we're losing our shirts in FBS. Now our league has fallen apart and the MWC won't be nice and take us in, so I'm filling out the Big Sky membership paperwork as I speak. This will be a lot better than flying down to Tuscaloosa and getting our brains beaten in."?

No, I don't expect that. I expect that, worst case, he will announce that Idaho will be an FBS independent for the 2013 season. Because there is zero chance of dropping down to the minor leagues without giving it a shot.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2012, 07:52 PM
You guys most enjoy arguing with a fence post because you have a better chance of getting the fence post to listen to reason. I can tell if he really believes the cr@p he spews or if he just enjoys tugging on everyone's chain.

He doesn't believe it slo for the most part but he believes it just enough to engage and overstate to keep it going.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 07:53 PM
Honestly, don't you think they will probably have to do a whole lot more traveling now if they stay FBS? They will be between a rock & a hard place and have little to bargain with now if I don't miss my guess.

On the contrary, every Pac 12 and MWC are going to need non-conference games as are New Mexico St and BYU.

I see them completing an entire 12 game schedule with 6 home games and zero games outside the mountain and pacific time zones (unless they go to Hawaii - which isn't any different than the WAC anyway and gives them a 13th game).

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2012, 07:55 PM
On the contrary, every Pac 12 and MWC are going to need non-conference games as are New Mexico St and BYU.

I see them completing an entire 12 game schedule with 6 home games and zero games outside the mountain and pacific time zones (unless they go to Hawaii - which isn't any different than the WAC anyway and gives them a 13th game).

OK

slostang
June 21st, 2012, 07:56 PM

No way a PAC-12 team is going to travel to Moscow, ID. Zero. Very little chance of any MWC teams doing it for anything less than a 2 for 1 and even then I doubt it.

slostang
June 21st, 2012, 07:56 PM
Double post

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2012, 07:58 PM
No way a PAC-12 team is going to travel to Moscow, ID. Zero. Very little chance of any MWC teams doing it for anything less than a 2 for 1 and even then I doubt it.xlolx
You took the bait stanger.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 07:59 PM
No way a PAC-12 team is going to travel to Moscow, ID. Zero. Very little chance of any MWC teams doing it for anything less than a 2 for 1 and even then I doubt it.

Big Ten teams travel to MAC schools. Believe it or not, even Pac 12 teams have non-conference away games.

If you're making the schedule for Washington State, would you rather travel to Texas Tech or next door?

slostang
June 21st, 2012, 08:00 PM
xlolx

Doh!!!

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 08:00 PM
xlolx

When does it cease being trolling and start being a legitimate, devil's advocate post?

slostang
June 21st, 2012, 08:01 PM
Big Ten teams travel to MAC schools. Believe it or not, even Pac 12 teams have non-conference away games.

If you're making the schedule for Washington State, would you rather travel to Texas Tech or next door?

MAC teams have stadiums bigger the than 15,000 seat Kibbie Dome.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2012, 08:03 PM

Good point. How many times has WSU done that? Seems easy now that you put it that way. I bet they've traveld 15 miles down the road at least a 1/2 dozen times now since ID has been FBS. Why didn't I think of that?

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2012, 08:05 PM
When does it cease being trolling and start being a legitimate, devil's advocate post?

It's either. Trolling is pretty much the catch phrase for devil's advocate on messageboards and I don't have a problem with either one fwiw. It makes it fun if you feel like engaging...which I did...right after laughing at slo so I bit on the line as well.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 08:15 PM
MAC teams have stadiums bigger the than 15,000 seat Kibbie Dome.

The Kibbie Dome seats more than 16k. It's not that big of a deal.

http://www.govandals.com//pics32/1024/AS/ASCNJVQPHRIYEIX.20110815223000.jpg

Looks pretty nice, actually. Nice little club & suites section now. Premium tickets are key to revenue!

Indiana traveled to Western Kentucky not too long ago. 22k capacity.

darell1976
June 21st, 2012, 08:20 PM

Its amazing how those teams haven't been to Idaho.

Home OOC FBS games:
2012 -Wyoming
2011-Bowling Green
2010-UNLV
2009-San Diego State, Colorado State
2008-Western Michigan

So how many teams are coming to Moscow when they are in the Indy League? 1 home and 11 away games that is reason to stay FBS and not join the BSC.xrolleyesx

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2012, 08:23 PM
The Kibbie Dome seats more than 16k. It's not that big of a deal.

http://www.govandals.com//pics32/1024/AS/ASCNJVQPHRIYEIX.20110815223000.jpg

Looks pretty nice, actually. Nice little club & suites section now. Premium tickets are key to revenue!

Indiana traveled to Western Kentucky not too long ago. 22k capacity.

I've been there several times and is not a bad stadium at all but you are stretching capacity I think cuz I was at a sellout crowd of around 14,900 and it was packed.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 08:23 PM
Its amazing how those teams haven't been to Idaho.

Home OOC FBS games:
2012 -Wyoming
2011-Bowling Green
2010-UNLV
2009-San Diego State, Colorado State
2008-Western Michigan

So how many teams are coming to Moscow when they are in the Indy League? 1 home and 11 away games that is reason to stay FBS and not join the BSC.xrolleyesx

Like I said, irrelevant - because they haven't had to try.

And yes technically Washington St has played Idaho as a visiting team. It was still in WSU's stadium, but Idaho was the home team. Something like that could be done again.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 08:24 PM
I've been there several times and is not a bad stadium at all but you are stretching capacity I think cuz I was at a sellout crowd of around 14,900 and it was packed.

They announce a sell-out at the Fargodome for 18,700, but it's easily capable of over 19k.

Perhaps with the new suites level and SRO tickets it can get above 16k. That's what their website says anyway.

darell1976
June 21st, 2012, 08:25 PM
Good point. How many times has WSU done that? Seems easy now that you put it that way. I bet they've traveld 15 miles down the road at least a 1/2 dozen times now since ID has been FBS. Why didn't I think of that?

Since 2002
WSU at Idaho-- Twice (2003, 2004)
Idaho at WSU-- Four (2002, 2005-2007)
Again...how many teams are getting ready to go Moscow?

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 08:26 PM
Since 2002
WSU at Idaho-- Twice 2003, 2004
Idaho at WSU-- Four 2002, 2005-2007

Irrelevant and starting to sound pretty desperate.

You really want Idaho in the Big Sky bad....why? UND has as much history with Idaho as they do with the Big Sky.

darell1976
June 21st, 2012, 08:26 PM
Like I said, irrelevant - because they haven't had to try.

And yes technically Washington St has played Idaho as a visiting team. It was still in WSU's stadium, but Idaho was the home team. Something like that could be done again.

xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx

darell1976
June 21st, 2012, 08:31 PM
Irrelevant and starting to sound pretty desperate.

You really want Idaho in the Big Sky bad....why? UND has as much history with Idaho as they do with the Big Sky.

I am just showing you examples of how life is going to be in Indy hell...UND would be headed there if the nickname stayed. Indy is NOT where you want to be. A conference has many advantages that Indy doesn't. Tv deals is one of them, 8 or so conference games is another advantage plus you are most likely in the area of your conference. If you an Independent you don't have tv deal (outside of Notre Dame and BYU), you don't have 8 guaranteed games (4 guaranteed home games), and you have to travel around the country trying to fill your schedule (like the GWFC teams did). Would you be pissed if Northern Illinois dropped down and joined the MVFC?

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2012, 08:38 PM
Since 2002
WSU at Idaho-- Twice (2003, 2004)
Idaho at WSU-- Four (2002, 2005-2007)

As MPLS said thos @ ID games were played at Cougar stadium and they called it an ID home game. ID had to play a lot of games at WSU while WSU was on the road to up their attendance #'s in a fairly empty Cougar Stadium.

darell1976
June 21st, 2012, 08:41 PM
As MPLS said thos @ ID games were played at Cougar stadium and they called it an ID home game. ID had to play a lot of games at WSU while WSU was on the road to up their attendance #'s in a fairly empty Cougar Stadium.

2003--CenturyLink Field, Seattle
2004--Kibbie Dome, Moscow

slostang
June 21st, 2012, 08:47 PM
The Kibbie Dome would fit right in the Big Sky with it's 16,000 seat capacity. It would be in the top half in the Big Sky behind Montana's (25,000+), PSU's (22,000), Sac State's (21,195), WSU's (17,500), and MSU's (17,000+). It would be right there with NAU's (15,300) UND's (12,283) and ISU's (12,000). So out of 14 teams in the Big Sky Idaho's Kibbie Dome would rank 6th in terms of capacity. Sounds like a perfect fit. In any FBS conference they would have the smallest stadium.

They have the SMALLEST stadium in the FBS. Let me repeat that. They have the SMALLEST stadium in the entire FBS. That put's them at a huge disadvantage in the FBS.

I'll say it again that there stadium and location work better in he Big Sky than he FBS. Better to be a BIG fish in a small pond than the smallest fish in the ocean.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 08:52 PM
The Kibbie Dome would fit right in the Big Sky with it's 16,000 seat capacity. It would in the top half in the Big Sky behind Montana's (25,000+), PSU's (22,000), WSU's (17,500), and MSU's (17,000+). It be right there with NAU's (15,300) and UND's (12,283).

They have the SMALLEST stadium in the FBS. Let me repeat that. They have the SMALLEST stadium in the entire FBS. That put's them at a huge disadvantage in the FBS.

I'll say it again that there stadium and location work better in he Big Sky than he FBS. Better to be a BIG fish in a small pond than the smallest fish in the ocean.

FBS means you want to offer between 76.5 and 85 scholarships. Nothing more. Stadium size is irrelevant.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2012, 08:53 PM
I am just showing you examples of how life is going to be in Indy hell...UND would be headed there if the nickname stayed. Indy is NOT where you want to be. A conference has many advantages that Indy doesn't. Tv deals is one of them, 8 or so conference games is another advantage plus you are most likely in the area of your conference. If you an Independent you don't have tv deal (outside of Notre Dame and BYU), you don't have 8 guaranteed games (4 guaranteed home games), and you have to travel around the country trying to fill your schedule (like the GWFC teams did). Would you be pissed if Northern Illinois dropped down and joined the MVFC?

Yes I'd be pissed, but I know they'll never do it. It's an absurd thought.

slostang
June 21st, 2012, 08:56 PM
FBS means you want to offer between 76.5 and 85 scholarships. Nothing more. Stadium size is irrelevant.

Just because you say it is irrelevant does not make it so. It is the reason they were not invited to join the MWC. They can not make it as an FBS indy. They can and will be able to make it as a member of the Big Sky playing teams with like resources and facilities.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2012, 09:05 PM
2003--CenturyLink Field, Seattle
2004--Kibbie Dome, Moscow

Ah, they did go down the road once. One time is better than zero times but good lord with a team that close you'd think it would be way more. i wonder what the problem is?

darell1976
June 21st, 2012, 09:07 PM
Ah, they did go down the road once. One time is better than zero times but good lord with a team that close you'd think it would be way more. i wonder what the problem is?

Strength of schedule. WSU is in a BCS conference. I guess they always want a shot at a title and not the Flo's Cafe Bowl.

slostang
June 21st, 2012, 09:36 PM
Because they have the smallest stadium in he FBS.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 22nd, 2012, 07:06 AM

Holy ****, were you born retarded, or did you work at it?

Screamin_Eagle174
June 22nd, 2012, 07:13 AM
If those top 3 are analogous to Idaho's top 3, then your 4th, analogous to Idaho's 4th priority of dropping down to the Big Sky in all sports, would be something like "contract drug-resistant gonorrhea".

Actually it would be more akin to you looking like a dumb***** while trying to use an analogy.

MplsBison
June 22nd, 2012, 07:15 AM
Just because you say it is irrelevant does not make it so. It is the reason they were not invited to join the MWC. They can not make it as an FBS indy. They can and will be able to make it as a member of the Big Sky playing teams with like resources and facilities.

Incorrect. The costs of being the Big Sky are the same. If they can't make it as an FBS independent, the best course of action would be to drop the football program rather than crawl back to the minor leagues of western US college football (Big Sky, RMAC, Frontier, etc.)

And the seating capacity of their stadium will have nil to do with it.

MplsBison
June 22nd, 2012, 07:16 AM
Strength of schedule. WSU is in a BCS conference. I guess they always want a shot at a title and not the Flo's Cafe Bowl.

There is no such thing as BCS conferences anymore because the BCS is not going to exist after the 2013 season.

Better just get used to the idea of FBS as one homogeneous division with a playoff to determine its champion. More homogeneous than FCS, certainly, in terms of scholarships offered.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 22nd, 2012, 07:20 AM
Incorrect. The costs of being the Big Sky are the same. If they can't make it as an FBS independent, the best course of action would be to drop the football program rather than crawl back to the minor leagues of western US college football (Big Sky, RMAC, Frontier, etc.)

And the seating capacity of their stadium will have nil to do with it.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/adventuretimewithfinnandjake/images/f/f0/Facepalm.gif

MplsBison
June 22nd, 2012, 07:22 AM
Much easier trying to insult someone than making lucid argument. I understand.

slostang
June 22nd, 2012, 07:31 AM
Cost of being an Indy FBS team in a remote location with the smallest stadium will be you will have to buy your home games and pay for 22 more scholarships with no conference revenue. There is a huge cost difference. There also the cost of lost fan support when you can only bring in low level FBS teams and FCS teams for 3 or 4 home games each season while getting your @ss handed to you on the road for 8 or 9 road games each year when you are forced to take money games against schools with 5 times your athletic budget. Just because ONLY you can not see that does not make it so.

slostang
June 22nd, 2012, 07:35 AM

You must feel it is easier to stick your head in he sand than to listen to well reasoned arguments. You are wrong and in typical Mpls fashion can not just admit it.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 22nd, 2012, 07:37 AM

Unfortunately, it seems you can do neither. Slo on the other hand, just explained it to you for the umpteenth time. So either you're mentally incompetent and don't understand what he's saying, or you're just an ignorant dumbass who refuses to believe anything other than your delusional self-serving views. Which is it?

MplsBison
June 22nd, 2012, 07:44 AM
Cost of being an Indy FBS team in a remote location with the smallest stadium will be you will have to buy your home games and pay for 22 more scholarships with no conference revenue. There is a huge cost difference. There also the cost of lost fan support when you can only bring in low level FBS teams and FCS teams for 3 or 4 home games each season while getting your @ss handed to you on the road for 8 or 9 road games each year when you are forced to take money games against schools with 5 times your athletic budget. Just because ONLY you can not see that does not make it so.

They won't have to buy any home games. Do home/home or home for 2 home deals with other FBS teams. Don't pay any FCS teams to go to Moscow.

Stadium size has nothing to do with it. If they need more revenue then increase the cost per ticket. Duke has a small arena - I guess they should drop down to DII?

What conference revenue? Minimal, certainly less than $100k

Fans are going to want to see the top competition possible. Big Sky teams would be the lowest competition they could bring in. That's how they'd lose fans, who are disgruntled about having to play Idaho St again after leaving that school in the dust.

6 home games a year, no problem.

So that leaves you with $300k, maybe, in scholarship costs extra. If that breaks the bank, fine. Time to drop the program altogether.

MplsBison
June 22nd, 2012, 07:44 AM
Unfortunately, it seems you can do neither. Slo on the other hand, just explained it to you for the umpteenth time. So either you're mentally incompetent and don't understand what he's saying, or you're just an ignorant dumbass who refuses to believe anything other than your delusional self-serving views. Which is it?

Mentally incompetent

slostang
June 22nd, 2012, 07:47 AM
There are few FBS teams if any that will sign a home and home with Idaho. Certainly not six every year. They will have to buy home games.

MplsBison
June 22nd, 2012, 08:03 AM
There are few FBS teams if any that will sign a home and home with Idaho. Certainly not six every year. They will have to buy home games.

Wrong

NoDak 4 Ever
June 22nd, 2012, 08:07 AM

Mentally incompetent

Wrong

Wow, that is some brilliant analysis. Holy ****, do you even read your own posts?

slostang
June 22nd, 2012, 08:36 AM
Wrong

For once you are right. They won't need six teams each year to sign home and home contracts, they will need 12 if the do not want to buy home games. Not going to happen.

darell1976
June 22nd, 2012, 09:01 AM
They won't have to buy any home games. Do home/home or home for 2 home deals with other FBS teams. Don't pay any FCS teams to go to Moscow.

Stadium size has nothing to do with it. If they need more revenue then increase the cost per ticket. Duke has a small arena - I guess they should drop down to DII?

What conference revenue? Minimal, certainly less than $100k

Fans are going to want to see the top competition possible. Big Sky teams would be the lowest competition they could bring in. That's how they'd lose fans, who are disgruntled about having to play Idaho St again after leaving that school in the dust.

So that leaves you with $300k, maybe, in scholarship costs extra. If that breaks the bank, fine. Time to drop the program altogether.

Idaho will be getting money from FCS teams to play at their venue since Idaho will be broke from being in the Indy league. NDSU can pay them 200,000 to come to Fargo and attendance will be bigger than if NDSU were to go to the Kibbie Dome. Ever since Boise State left the WAC, Idaho's attendance has dropped greatly!
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/pdfs/2011/2010+national+college+football+attendance
Idaho attendance 2010 (with Boise State)
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2011.pdf
Idaho attendance 2011 (without Boise State)

See a pattern? Don't forget the 15,000 attendance rule. Maybe the NCAA will start to enforce it and force Idaho to move down. BTW that 11,980 is less than 28 FCS teams. And 2 of them are in the Big Sky Conference (UM and MSU).

NoDak 4 Ever
June 22nd, 2012, 09:06 AM
Idaho will be getting money from FCS teams to play at their venue since Idaho will be broke from being in the Indy league. NDSU can pay them 200,000 to come to Fargo and attendance will be bigger than if NDSU were to go to the Kibbie Dome. Ever since Boise State left the WAC, Idaho's attendance has dropped greatly!
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/pdfs/2011/2010+national+college+football+attendance

See a pattern? Don't forget the 15,000 attendance rule. Maybe the NCAA will start to enforce it and force Idaho to move down. BTW that 11,980 is less than 28 FCS teams. And 2 of them are in the Big Sky Conference (UM and MSU).

You forget, for him it's FBS at all costs, reality doesn't enter into it as long as those 3 letters are there.

Professor Chaos
June 22nd, 2012, 09:20 AM
Better just get used to the idea of FBS as one homogeneous division with a playoff to determine its champion.
xlolx MplsBison ladies and gentlemen. He'll be here all week. Be sure to tip your waitress.

A 4 team playoff will make no difference to the Sun Belt/MAC/MWC/CUSA/(remnants of the)WAC. The BCS will only be gone in name. The FBS will still consist of the "haves", being the power 5 conferences who will get all 4 playoff spots every year, and the "have nots" who will still play for their meaningless exhibition bowl bid at the end of the season. A 4 team playoff does virtually nothing to change the power structure of the FBS. What is does do is open the door for a larger playoff which may someday get the FBS to this homogeneous division that you refer to but, as of now, it's nowhere close to that.

LakesBizun
June 22nd, 2012, 09:20 AM
They won't have to buy any home games. Do home/home or home for 2 home deals with other FBS teams.

I see two problems:

1) Any FBS program with any sense at all isn't going to give them anything better than a money game or at best a 2-for-1.

2) All those programs would want to do those games the 1st 4 weeks of the season, before conference play starts. Who the hell would they play in October and November?

darell1976
June 22nd, 2012, 09:39 AM
I see two problems:

1) Any FBS program with any sense at all isn't going to give them anything better than a money game or at best a 2-for-1.

2) All those programs would want to do those games the 1st 4 weeks of the season, before conference play starts. Who the hell would they play in October and November?

Notre Dame, Army, Navy, and BYU. Just not in Moscow.

wapiti
June 22nd, 2012, 09:42 AM
Don't forget New Mexico State. They could do a home and home with them and have both games oocur in one season.

BisonBacker
June 22nd, 2012, 09:48 AM

I would like to nominate this as one of the most Assinine statements MNPLS has made and there is no shortage of those from MNPLS but this one is right up there. xbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangx

kittiekop
June 22nd, 2012, 10:36 AM
I would like to nominate this as one of the most Assinine statements MNPLS has made and there is no shortage of those from MNPLS but this one is right up there. xbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangx

Of course its irrelevant. Like he said, just raise ticket prices. Hell, double them. They have TONS of people that would pay double the going rate - like 12,000 of them every week - pounding down the door to pack those......16......thousand.... Wait, this isn't going to work at all.xeyebrowx

Uncle Rico's Clan
June 22nd, 2012, 10:50 AM
Don't forget New Mexico State. They could do a home and home with them and have both games oocur in one season.

Frontier Conference members play each other twice every year, also, Bama and LSU set the precedent last year for FBS teams. It would be silly for Idaho to not take advantage of the situation.

Tod
June 22nd, 2012, 11:45 AM
One thing MplsBison fails to see is his own contradictory statements. How can they sign a bunch of 2 for 1's and still get 6 home games? They'd be lucky to have 4 home games a year, and at least one will be an FCS game.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 22nd, 2012, 12:22 PM
One thing MplsBison fails to see is his own contradictory statements. How can they sign a bunch of 2 for 1's and still get 6 home games? They'd be lucky to have 4 home games a year, and at least one will be an FCS game.

I point out his contradictions but he rarely sees them he just keeps putting them up.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 22nd, 2012, 12:26 PM
I point out his contradictions but he rarely sees them he just keeps putting them up.

He finally admitted he's just mentally incompetent... doesn't understand fact or logic that differs from his own reality.

MplsBison
June 22nd, 2012, 12:29 PM
Wow, that is some brilliant analysis. Holy ****, do you even read your own posts?

You get out what you put in. Make declarative statements that are wrong without putting forth a lucid argument, then that's what you get back.

MplsBison
June 22nd, 2012, 12:33 PM

If the NCAA doesn't force Eastern Michigan down with average attendance less than 10k, they certainly aren't going to force Idaho down with average attendance above 10k. They frankly don't care.

Eastern Michigan's program is in much worse shape. Yet you guys aren't all over their nuts. Weird. When there's something in it for you, then you're all about principles I guess.

No FBS team is going to play at a FCS stadium for a guarantee. That's never happened and never will happen. Idaho is paying Eastern Washington to play in Moscow this year. That tells you Idaho has a superior program to EW right there.

MplsBison
June 22nd, 2012, 12:37 PM
xlolx MplsBison ladies and gentlemen. He'll be here all week. Be sure to tip your waitress.

A 4 team playoff will make no difference to the Sun Belt/MAC/MWC/CUSA/(remnants of the)WAC. The BCS will only be gone in name. The FBS will still consist of the "haves", being the power 5 conferences who will get all 4 playoff spots every year, and the "have nots" who will still play for their meaningless exhibition bowl bid at the end of the season. A 4 team playoff does virtually nothing to change the power structure of the FBS. What is does do is open the door for a larger playoff which may someday get the FBS to this homogeneous division that you refer to but, as of now, it's nowhere close to that.

The BCS will be entirely gone. Do you even know what the BCS is?

It's a formula that ranks teams and determines which of 5 bowl games they'll play in the attempt to obtain a unanimous national champion in FBS.

The formula is going away, replaced by a selection committee. Just like bball and FCS.

Any team in FBS that goes undefeated with at least one big win over a national competitive program from the SEC, Pac 12, Big Ten, etc. will be in the discussion for the 4th seed. That's what maximizes TV revenue. Top 3 bones of course go to the big dogs.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 22nd, 2012, 12:38 PM
You get out what you put in. Make declarative statements that are wrong without putting forth a lucid argument, then that's what you get back.

And yet you wondered why I pointed out your mental deficiencies...

MplsBison
June 22nd, 2012, 12:41 PM

Isn't this post so perfectly BisonBacker?

"Wait a sec...what's this now? A bunch of people are engaging Mpls in a negative way? Well...I sure as heck have no idea what's they're talking about...but if there's one thing I do well, it's pile on Mpls with a generic statement that doesn't mean anything! Woo hooo!! Cannonball!!!!!"

darell1976
June 22nd, 2012, 12:42 PM
If the NCAA doesn't force Eastern Michigan down with average attendance less than 10k, they certainly aren't going to force Idaho down with average attendance above 10k. They frankly don't care.

Eastern Michigan's program is in much worse shape. Yet you guys aren't all over their nuts. Weird. When there's something in it for you, then you're all about principles I guess.

No FBS team is going to play at a FCS stadium for a guarantee. That's never happened and never will happen. Idaho is paying Eastern Washington to play in Moscow this year. That tells you Idaho has a superior program to EW right there.

FBS teams have played at FCS teams....and I wouldn't be suprised if EW beats Idaho so calling Idaho superior is very laughable.

MplsBison
June 22nd, 2012, 12:42 PM
And yet you wondered why I pointed out your mental deficiencies...

No I didn't. Makes sense to me you'd think to do that.

MplsBison
June 22nd, 2012, 12:44 PM
FBS teams have played at FCS teams....and I wouldn't be suprised if EW beats Idaho so calling Idaho superior is very laughable.

The one example I know of is Ball State will play at Illinois State in the future, but it's part of a home and home. Thus you were wrong.

Please illuminate us.

MplsBison
June 22nd, 2012, 12:47 PM

I didn't say they would sign a bunch of 2 for 1's. I said that option is on the table without implying how many times it would be employed.

Obviously you go for home and home and try to attract a big target with a 2 for 1 every now and then.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 22nd, 2012, 12:51 PM
The one example I know of is Ball State will play at Illinois State in the future, but it's part of a home and home. Thus you were wrong.

Please illuminate us.

Montana had a 5 game series with Idaho 3 at Montana 2 at Idaho and we paid them for having the 5th game.

Professor Chaos
June 22nd, 2012, 12:53 PM
The BCS will be entirely gone. Do you even know what the BCS is?

It's a formula that ranks teams and determines which of 5 bowl games they'll play in the attempt to obtain a unanimous national champion in FBS.

The formula is going away, replaced by a selection committee. Just like bball and FCS.

Any team in FBS that goes undefeated with at least one big win over a national competitive program from the SEC, Pac 12, Big Ten, etc. will be in the discussion for the 4th seed. That's what maximizes TV revenue. Top 3 bones of course go to the big dogs.
My point is that that the power structure the BCS represented will still remain. If this system would be in place this year and if Central Michigan goes undefeated, which would include wins against Iowa and Michigan St, they won't even be given a second thought for consideration for one of the playoff spots. One loss teams, possibly even two loss teams, from the Big 12/SEC/Big Ten will get in over an undefeated team in the MAC, CUSA, or the Sun Belt. Look at the top seeds in the NCAA basketball tournament, how many have come from outside the power 6 conferences in the last 10 years? I can think of one in St Joseph's when Delonte West and Jameer Nelson were there and that's it. And men's basketball has far more parity in it than football. The BCS was designed to cater to the big boys and a 4 team playoff does the exact same thing. It's a step in the right direction but it's a long way from giving the entire FBS the opportunity to compete for a title.

MplsBison
June 22nd, 2012, 01:20 PM
110% they'd be given consideration for the 4th spot. Especially if there were no other undefeated teams and at least one of the big 4 championship games had an upset victor.

There would never be more excitement around the FBS post-season than if Central Michigan got a change to take on the 1st seed, probably the champion from the SEC. Ratings through the roof. It would be hyped beyond belief.

How can you be so out of touch with reality?

MplsBison
June 22nd, 2012, 01:21 PM
Montana had a 5 game series with Idaho 3 at Montana 2 at Idaho and we paid them for having the 5th game.

Any scheduling Idaho has done is irrelevant to what they'll need to do as an independent. Your grandmother knows it. Move on.

Professor Chaos
June 22nd, 2012, 01:45 PM
110% they'd be given consideration for the 4th spot. Especially if there were no other undefeated teams and at least one of the big 4 championship games had an upset victor.

There would never be more excitement around the FBS post-season than if Central Michigan got a change to take on the 1st seed, probably the champion from the SEC. Ratings through the roof. It would be hyped beyond belief.

Hello pot, meet kettle.

If you honestly think that a 13-0 CMU team will get into a 4 team playoff over a 12-1 Alabama that was upset by a team like Georgia or Florida in the SEC title game your fragile grasp on reality is quite evident. Again, all you need to do is look at the top seeds in the NCAA men's basketball tournament to see how selection committees approach will determine the top 4 teams in the country. They won't give a rip about the little guy with a great story, they'll continue to protect the interest of their other fat cat brethren. Look at last year's BCS selection when Boise St, who was 7th in the BCS standings, was passed over by the Sugar bowl in favor of Michigan and Virginia Tech who were 11th and 13th, respectively.

And before you say it, I understand that a selection committee will be different from the BCS but that mentality will remain and that's reality.

MSU Catz
June 22nd, 2012, 02:28 PM

I really don't think an CMU is going to get picked over a 2 loss Texas or USC, there is a reason those schools are far larger than the others. They're usually around the population centers and they have huge financial backing. It's all about tv ratings and Espn, CBS or any other network would not put up those huge sums for unknowns.

MplsBison
June 23rd, 2012, 09:27 AM
Hello pot, meet kettle.

If you honestly think that a 13-0 CMU team will get into a 4 team playoff over a 12-1 Alabama that was upset by a team like Georgia or Florida in the SEC title game your fragile grasp on reality is quite evident. Again, all you need to do is look at the top seeds in the NCAA men's basketball tournament to see how selection committees approach will determine the top 4 teams in the country. They won't give a rip about the little guy with a great story, they'll continue to protect the interest of their other fat cat brethren. Look at last year's BCS selection when Boise St, who was 7th in the BCS standings, was passed over by the Sugar bowl in favor of Michigan and Virginia Tech who were 11th and 13th, respectively.

And before you say it, I understand that a selection committee will be different from the BCS but that mentality will remain and that's reality.

You're all over the place with your comparisons, each one of them failing.

Men's bball: of course the selection committee is going to pick the top 4 seeds like that, they have 65 teams to pick! (minus automatic qualifiers, of course) They also pick a lot of mid major schools too, as lower seeds. So the correct analogy to a playoff with only 4 teams is realize that they only have one pick to play with an make an interesting choice. The other three picks go to the top dogs.

BCS: there is no selection committee in the BCS. It's nothing but a formula that makes 14 teams eligible for the bowls themselves to pick. The bowls make money by selling tickets, not making interesting matchups.

There is one other factor you're neglecting: the casual sports fan and holy grail, non-sports fans. Right now there are only two sporting events in professional or collegiate sports that capture the attention of non-sports fans: the super bowl and march madness.

The BCS playoffs have the potential to be the third, IF they make an interesting matchup. So I can see this weighing heavily on the selection committee's decision if the correct scenario presents itself. For example, what we're talking about. An undefeated MAC school, that let's say has beat a Big Ten team and a SEC, Big Ten or Pac 12 champion only has 8 or 9 wins because they just upset the favored team in the conference championship game. Gotta go with the MAC school and I think they will.

Professor Chaos
June 23rd, 2012, 12:09 PM
You're all over the place with your comparisons, each one of them failing.

Men's bball: of course the selection committee is going to pick the top 4 seeds like that, they have 65 teams to pick! (minus automatic qualifiers, of course) They also pick a lot of mid major schools too, as lower seeds. So the correct analogy to a playoff with only 4 teams is realize that they only have one pick to play with an make an interesting choice. The other three picks go to the top dogs.

BCS: there is no selection committee in the BCS. It's nothing but a formula that makes 14 teams eligible for the bowls themselves to pick. The bowls make money by selling tickets, not making interesting matchups.

There is one other factor you're neglecting: the casual sports fan and holy grail, non-sports fans. Right now there are only two sporting events in professional or collegiate sports that capture the attention of non-sports fans: the super bowl and march madness.

The BCS playoffs have the potential to be the third, IF they make an interesting matchup. So I can see this weighing heavily on the selection committee's decision if the correct scenario presents itself. For example, what we're talking about. An undefeated MAC school, that let's say has beat a Big Ten team and a SEC, Big Ten or Pac 12 champion only has 8 or 9 wins because they just upset the favored team in the conference championship game. Gotta go with the MAC school and I think they will.
Where are you getting these theories from? The top seeds in the men's basketball tournament are the top 4 teams in the country in the eyes on the selection committee. If they only picked 4 teams for the tournament those would be the four they choose, that's how seeding works. This football playoff selection committee is going to be even more tilted towards the prestige programs because 1) there's more money to be made in the football Final Four than in the basketball Final Four, and 2) there's less parity in college football than in college basketball. For both of those reasons you're going to see the big boys get all the opportunities available to compete in a 4 team playoff. You're mistaken if you think that they're going to reserve only 3 spots for the traditional powers at the top of the polls and save a 4th spot for a mid-major program having an exceptional year. You can dream about cinderalla's crashing the colllege football playoff party but until they expand to at least 8 teams it's not going to happen.

MplsBison
June 23rd, 2012, 12:28 PM
Where are you getting these theories from? The top seeds in the men's basketball tournament are the top 4 teams in the country in the eyes on the selection committee. If they only picked 4 teams for the tournament those would be the four they choose, that's how seeding works. This football playoff selection committee is going to be even more tilted towards the prestige programs because 1) there's more money to be made in the football Final Four than in the basketball Final Four, and 2) there's less parity in college football than in college basketball. For both of those reasons you're going to see the big boys get all the opportunities available to compete in a 4 team playoff. You're mistaken if you think that they're going to reserve only 3 spots for the traditional powers at the top of the polls and save a 4th spot for a mid-major program having an exceptional year. You can dream about cinderalla's crashing the colllege football playoff party but until they expand to at least 8 teams it's not going to happen.

They're not saving any of the four spots for a mid-major team. What I said is that if the right scenario came up, such as I mentioned, they would heavily consider giving the 4th spot to such a team.

You're sadly mistaken to believe otherwise. I've given the correct explanation for why.

It would be the exact same way for a basketball tournament with only 4 teams. An exceptional mid-major would get the 4th spot in the right scenario.

slostang
June 23rd, 2012, 12:44 PM
An exceptional mid-major would get the 4th spot in the right scenario.

Yeah, like when pigs fly.

MplsBison
June 23rd, 2012, 01:34 PM

You're wrong, I'm right. But you won't admit it, even when I'm proved correct.

CrazyCat
June 23rd, 2012, 02:11 PM

How can you be right if it hasn't happened yet ?

slostang
June 23rd, 2012, 02:30 PM
How can you be right if it hasn't happened yet ?

He deals with fantasy, not reality. In his mind he is right and he does not let facts get in his way.

crossfire07
June 23rd, 2012, 02:37 PM

Obama flies all the time.

darell1976
June 23rd, 2012, 04:39 PM

It hasn't happen in the past why would it happen now. Look at Boise State all those years undefeated and not a chance at a BCS title game or any title game. The top four will be the likes of Alabama, Nebraska, LSU, Ohio State. If you think a Wyoming, Louisville, or a Central Michigan will be there....then you must be playing your Xbox or PS3 again.

crossfire07
June 24th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Teams like Wyoming, Louisville, or a Central Michigan do not deserve to be anywheres close to a game like that.Boise State's problem a few years ago was scheduling and the new rules will take SOS into account.It is not Boise States fault nobody will play them.Everyone who does loses.Virginia Tech Oregon Georgia.

MplsBison
June 24th, 2012, 11:05 AM
It hasn't happen in the past why would it happen now. Look at Boise State all those years undefeated and not a chance at a BCS title game or any title game. The top four will be the likes of Alabama, Nebraska, LSU, Ohio State. If you think a Wyoming, Louisville, or a Central Michigan will be there....then you must be playing your Xbox or PS3 again.

Because there's never been a selection committee before. There are humans directly pulling the levels. Not bias, bull___ polls, not unreasonable computers - a directly liable, group of humans who have the ability to employ common sense as needed.

The four team playoff could very well only be made up of big teams from big conferences, but the mid-major teams will have never had a better chance of getting to perform on college football's top stage.

slostang
June 24th, 2012, 11:31 AM
There is also a chance that I could win the lottery. A mid major probably have the same chance of being selected to the 4 team playoff. So yes I guess you could say they have a chance.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 24th, 2012, 12:45 PM
There is also a chance that I could win the lottery. A mid major probably have the same chance of being selected to the 4 team playoff. So yes I guess you could say they have a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

darell1976
June 24th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Because there's never been a selection committee before. There are humans directly pulling the levels. Not bias, bull___ polls, not unreasonable computers - a directly liable, group of humans who have the ability to employ common sense as needed.

The four team playoff could very well only be made up of big teams from big conferences, but the mid-major teams will have never had a better chance of getting to perform on college football's top stage.

Top 5:
Alabama 11-1
LSU 11-1
Nebraska 11-1
Central Michigan 12-0
Ohio State 12-0

Your 4 playoff teams out of that list...will NOT include Central Michigan. No matter if its a computer or human selection.

MplsBison
June 25th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Top 5:
Alabama 11-1
LSU 11-1
Nebraska 11-1
Central Michigan 12-0
Ohio State 12-0

Your 4 playoff teams out of that list...will NOT include Central Michigan. No matter if its a computer or human selection.

Alabama 11-2 (wins SEC championship game)
Nebraska 11-2 (wins Big Ten championship game)
Central Michigan 13-0 (wins MAC championship game, beat Michigan St in regular season)
USC 10-3 (wins Pac 12 championship game in upset over Oregon)
Oklahoma 10-3 (claims Big XII title due to head-to-head win with TCU, also 10-3)
Virginia Tech 11-2 (wins ACC championship game)

CMU gets #4 seed, plays #1 Alabama in FBS playoff semifinal in highest rated college football post season game to date.

UNDColorado
June 25th, 2012, 09:01 AM
There is no way Central Michigan gets the nod ahead of OK, or even VA Tech for that matter. Keep dreaming pal. This "playoff" they are working on is moving in the right direction, but until the field is at a minimum of 8, teams like CMU will never get in.

MplsBison
June 25th, 2012, 09:03 AM
There is no way Central Michigan gets the nod ahead of OK, or even VA Tech for that matter. Keep dreaming pal. This "playoff" they are working on is moving in the right direction, but until the field is at a minimum of 8, teams like CMU will never get in.

You're wrong, I'm right.

darell1976
June 25th, 2012, 09:08 AM
You're wrong, I'm right.

MplsBison go sit in the corner.xnonox

slostang
June 25th, 2012, 09:37 AM
He's right and your an !d!ot.

Professor Chaos
June 25th, 2012, 09:40 AM
http://uhohdisco.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/nuh-uh-vs-yes-huh.jpeg

MplsBison
June 25th, 2012, 09:52 AM
He's right and your an !d!ot.

you're

ursus arctos horribilis
June 27th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Idaho Statesman blog interview with U of I coach Akey...

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/06/26/bmurphy/akey_wouldnt_be_surprised_if_idaho_becomes_footbal l_independent

TheBisonator
June 27th, 2012, 02:19 AM
You're wrong, I'm right.

Wow. You have me convinced of your genius. I bow down to you, O Wise Master. You are my new God.xspankx