PDA

View Full Version : ODU and Georgia State postseason eligble in football? NO.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 19th, 2012, 02:47 PM
The Colonial Athletic Association Football (CAA Football) Council of Presidents has determined that as a withdrawing institution, Old Dominion University will not be eligible for the 2012 CAA Football conference championship and the league’s automatic bid to the NCAA Championship.

Interesting.

Professor Chaos
June 19th, 2012, 02:50 PM
The thread title is a bit misleading. I'm fairly certain that ODU is still eligible for the FCS playoffs, they just can't get the CAA autobid. They'll have to rely on getting an at large bid.

whitey
June 19th, 2012, 02:54 PM
The thread title is a bit misleading. I'm fairly certain that ODU is still eligible for the FCS playoffs, they just can't get the CAA autobid. They'll have to rely on getting an at large bid.

Correct. ODU and Georgia State will have official conference records of 0-0, just like UMass last year. ODU is still eligible for at-large selection to the FCS playoffs since they have not started their FBS transition yet. Georgia State has started their FBS transition, so they won't be eligible for the FCS playoffs.

whitey
June 19th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Official CAA Statement (http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48484&SPID=4660&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205458860&DB_OEM_ID=8500).

RICHMOND, Va. (June 19, 2012) -- The Colonial Athletic Association Football (CAA Football) Council of Presidents has determined that as a withdrawing institution, Old Dominion University will not be eligible for the 2012 CAA Football conference championship and the league's automatic bid to the NCAA Championship.

Georgia State previously announced its intentions to reclassify to the Football Bowl Subdivision April 9, 2012, which by NCAA rule renders it ineligible for the CAA Football Championship, the league's automatic bid to the NCAA Championship as well as at-large consideration for the NCAA Playoffs.

"CAA Football bylaws require consideration and discussion of any action restricting the rights and privileges of membership afforded a withdrawing institution," CAA Football Commissioner Tom Yeager said. "The CAA Football Presidents strongly believe the interests of the conference are best served when a continuing member institution is designated as the conference champion."

While not participating for the CAA Football Championship, Old Dominion will still be eligible for selection to the NCAA Championship as an at-large selection. [Georgia State is ineligible for the NCAA Playoffs due to NCAA rules regarding its reclassification]. Both institutions will remain eligible for inclusion in the conference television package and its student-athletes and coaches are eligible for all conference awards.

eaglewraith
June 19th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Yet Georgia State is whining that the CAA is dishing out hate on them. It's in the rules and they knew what they were before they decided to make the transition.

At least for the rest of the sports that only have 1 season with nothing to play for. Football has to endure 2 anyway no matter what.

Stop whining cause the rules aren't being bent in your favor.

glsjunior
June 19th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Yet Georgia State is whining that the CAA is dishing out hate on them. It's in the rules and they knew what they were before they decided to make the transition.

At least for the rest of the sports that only have 1 season with nothing to play for. Football has to endure 2 anyway no matter what.

Stop whining cause the rules aren't being bent in your favor.

Too bad you will never know what that feels like.

DJnva
June 19th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Thread title should be changed because it is WRONG.

GSU was never going to be eligible because they have started their transition to FBS already, just like UMass last season. The announcement today was for ODU in football and ODU and GSU in other team sports.

It really has no real-world effect on ODU football because it's really hard to see a scenario where ODU would have received the auto-bid, but doesn't get an at-large.

eaglewraith
June 19th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Too bad you will never know what that feels like.

Let me find my give a ****.......oh wait I can't find it.

GannonFan
June 20th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Thread title should be changed because it is WRONG.

GSU was never going to be eligible because they have started their transition to FBS already, just like UMass last season. The announcement today was for ODU in football and ODU and GSU in other team sports.

It really has no real-world effect on ODU football because it's really hard to see a scenario where ODU would have received the auto-bid, but doesn't get an at-large.

Agreed.

alvinkayak6
June 20th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Correct. ODU and Georgia State will have official conference records of 0-0, just like UMass last year. ODU is still eligible for at-large selection to the FCS playoffs since they have not started their FBS transition yet. Georgia State has started their FBS transition, so they won't be eligible for the FCS playoffs.

The question needs to be asked how they will play this year without those carrot sticks. Do they work as hard in the weight room?

blueballs
June 20th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Too bad for ODU... I think they have enough coming back to be a real contender this coming year and I KNOW they would like another shot at GSU.

MplsBison
June 20th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Change the thread title - it's purposefully misleading. Otherwise known as lying.

There's no news here.

eaglewraith
June 20th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Too bad for ODU... I think they have enough coming back to be a real contender this coming year and I KNOW they would like another shot at GSU.

They should have no problem getting to the playoffs.

They're more than welcome to come get beat again :)

Lehigh Football Nation
June 20th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Change the thread title - it's purposefully misleading. Otherwise known as lying.

There's no news here.

Interesting - Mpls, that paragon of journalistic integrity, calling me a liar for typing "postseason eligible" instead of "conference title eligible".

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 20th, 2012, 11:58 AM
We already knew Georgia State wasn't going to the playoffs this year regardless of any FBS invite.
xlolx

Saint3333
June 20th, 2012, 12:16 PM

GA St. never had a shot at making the playoffs so there was no need to play the waiting game like ODU did.

MplsBison
June 20th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Interesting - Mpls, that paragon of journalistic integrity, calling me a liar for typing "postseason eligible" instead of "conference title eligible".

You knew what you were doing.

Tuscon
June 20th, 2012, 03:04 PM
We already knew Georgia State wasn't going to the playoffs this year regardless of any FBS invite.
xlolx

GA St. never had a shot at making the playoffs so there was no need to play the waiting game like ODU did.

Nobody KNEW anything. That being said, it wasn't likely. This goes beyond football though. We are not eligible for a postseason for ANY team sport. Apparently, we are looking to move those sports without schedules already to the SBC early. Not too sure how well it will work out.

Tuscon
June 20th, 2012, 03:05 PM

You are aware those are two different things, right?

eaglewraith
June 20th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Nobody KNEW anything. That being said, it wasn't likely. This goes beyond football though. We are not eligible for a postseason for ANY team sport. Apparently, we are looking to move those sports without schedules already to the SBC early. Not too sure how well it will work out.

All jokes aside about how you were going to do pre-invite, after you filed for reclassification it was cut and dry that your football program was ineligible. The rest of the sports were up in the air, but by the CAA bylaws this is the right decision.

Saint3333
June 20th, 2012, 06:24 PM

That isn't true you can get an at large bid, well in every sport but football. But where was the GA St. Uproar when your leaders made that decision? Seems like a double standard.

Tuscon
June 20th, 2012, 10:15 PM
That isn't true you can get an at large bid, well in every sport but football. But where was the GA St. Uproar when your leaders made that decision? Seems like a double standard.

Dear Lord, I'm sorry I have to spell this out. The CAA postseason. Sure we can still get a postseason at large bid to the NCAA or NIT. CAA gets snubbed on at larges though and VCU leaving isn't going to help that any. Where was the uproar when our leaders decided that they would go two more years without a postseason in a sport we've NEVER been eligible for? Oh right, they were busy getting thanked for getting us the heck out of the CAA ASAP and into a conference that fits better. That's an NCAA rule anyway. This is a rule by the conference that NO OTHER CONFERENCE DOES. How difficult is it to understand why we would be upset about this?

Tuscon
June 20th, 2012, 10:23 PM
All jokes aside about how you were going to do pre-invite, after you filed for reclassification it was cut and dry that your football program was ineligible. The rest of the sports were up in the air, but by the CAA bylaws this is the right decision.

Except for the fact that it's short sighted and petty and does more to punish student athletes than the program. Hell, if we happened to win the CAA tourny and get some NCAA credits, we would've left all the cash with the conference.

eaglewraith
June 21st, 2012, 07:13 AM
Except for the fact that it's short sighted and petty and does more to punish student athletes than the program. Hell, if we happened to win the CAA tourny and get some NCAA credits, we would've left all the cash with the conference.

You still have an avenue to make the NCAA postseason. I don't really see the complaint.

Win and none of this matters. If anything, as a coach I'd use this as motivation for my players to make the CAA pay for their decision. I'm a mean son of a bitch who believes in running up the score and tearing the hearts out of our opponent though...so I might be out of the ordinary.

superman7515
June 21st, 2012, 08:01 AM
How difficult is it to understand why we would be upset about this?

Pretty difficult considering the rule was in place before Georgia State ever joined the conference and, when doing their due diligence in regards to conference affiliation, must have known that it would prevent them from being eligible.

GannonFan
June 21st, 2012, 08:51 AM
Agreed - where was this crying by Georgia St when they entered the conference and the rule had been on the book for years? It was clear what was going to happen - crying about it now is just sour grapes.

Saint3333
June 21st, 2012, 08:56 AM
Dear Lord, I'm sorry I have to spell this out. The CAA postseason. Sure we can still get a postseason at large bid to the NCAA or NIT. CAA gets snubbed on at larges though and VCU leaving isn't going to help that any. Where was the uproar when our leaders decided that they would go two more years without a postseason in a sport we've NEVER been eligible for? Oh right, they were busy getting thanked for getting us the heck out of the CAA ASAP and into a conference that fits better. That's an NCAA rule anyway. This is a rule by the conference that NO OTHER CONFERENCE DOES. How difficult is it to understand why we would be upset about this?

You said "postseason" not CAA tournaments, I'm not the one confused.

You don't know what you're talking about. GA St. would have been eligible for the FCS playoffs this year if they had waited like ODU did. ODU made the playoffs in its third year as did CCU a few years ago.

You just said the leaders were getting thanked to move to a "better" conference. I wonder why the CAA would want to exclude you.

You can be upset, but maybe a large portion of your anger should be directed at YOUR leaders that 1) decided to join the conference and 2) took the postseason in football off the table for 2012.

If App were joining an FBS conference and had to forfeit SoCon postseason play, so what, it's one year, think long-term.

bluehenbillk
June 21st, 2012, 09:07 AM
This is a rule by the conference that NO OTHER CONFERENCE DOES. How difficult is it to understand why we would be upset about this?

Actually, that's incorrect, the Horizon League has the same rule - that's why Butler left immediately for the A-10....

Laserlips
June 21st, 2012, 09:47 AM
Pretty difficult considering the rule was in place before Georgia State ever joined the conference and, when doing their due diligence in regards to conference affiliation, must have known that it would prevent them from being eligible.

FWIW:

Pardon me for pointing out the obvious, but anyone who thinks Ga.State had a PRAYER of having a winning season, much less making the playoff's, must be on drugs.

Ga.State has never made the connection between "playing football" and actually WINNING while "playing football".. xsmhx

J.

TheDancinMonarch
June 21st, 2012, 09:58 AM
This whole discussion is symptomatic of America today. We write rules in plain English and think that the rules are great until one of them affects us negatively. Then we whine and moan and complain about how unfair the rules are. Get over it!

The only solution is to stop trying to regulate every aspect of life with endless rules and regulations.

Tuscon
June 21st, 2012, 02:32 PM
You said "postseason" not CAA tournaments, I'm not the one confused.

You don't know what you're talking about. GA St. would have been eligible for the FCS playoffs this year if they had waited like ODU did. ODU made the playoffs in its third year as did CCU a few years ago.

You just said the leaders were getting thanked to move to a "better" conference. I wonder why the CAA would want to exclude you.

You can be upset, but maybe a large portion of your anger should be directed at YOUR leaders that 1) decided to join the conference and 2) took the postseason in football off the table for 2012.

If App were joining an FBS conference and had to forfeit SoCon postseason play, so what, it's one year, think long-term.

You're confused because the context of the conversation is obvious as Georgia State is not banned from the NCAA postseason.

If we wait to announce, we wait a year to begin the FBS transition. FBS is more important to us than the FCS playoff.

The CAA isn't excluding us because of my bad attitude towards them.

You're right, it's only one year and that's why it's ok. It doesn't mean the rule isn't stupid.

Saint3333
June 21st, 2012, 04:47 PM
Nothing is obvious when dealing with people on message boards I've found.

I'd say you'd have a better chance at making the FCS playoffs than you will making a bowl game in 2015.

dgtw
June 21st, 2012, 05:08 PM
I think the rule is petty and stupid. However, both schools were (or should have been) aware of the rule so they have no room to complain.

DJnva
June 21st, 2012, 08:51 PM
This whole discussion is symptomatic of America today. We write rules in plain English and think that the rules are great until one of them affects us negatively. Then we whine and moan and complain about how unfair the rules are. Get over it!

The only solution is to stop trying to regulate every aspect of life with endless rules and regulations.

Actually let's get all the details out there. The rule did not say ODU and GSU are CAA tourney ineligible. The rule says the University Presidents get to decide the date upon which those schools can no longer compete in conference tourneys. ODU and GSU asked for the Presidents to set that date at June 30, 2013. The Presidents declined.

superman7515
June 21st, 2012, 09:50 PM
That's incorrect. The rule states that any member institution that is withdrawing is ineligible for conference championships. Old Dominion and Georgia State asked that their withdrawals be moved from July 1, 2012 (the first day of the new "year" for athletics after they announced they were withdrawing) to June 30, 2013 (the last day of the new "year" for the athletics after they announced they were withdrawing) and the Presidents voted not to move the date to the end of the year and instead leave it at the beginning of the year as it had been in the past.

Tribe4SF
June 22nd, 2012, 05:50 AM
That's incorrect. The rule states that any member institution that is withdrawing is ineligible for conference championships. Old Dominion and Georgia State asked that their withdrawals be moved from July 1, 2012 (the first day of the new "year" for athletics after they announced they were withdrawing) to June 30, 2013 (the last day of the new "year" for the athletics after they announced they were withdrawing) and the Presidents voted not to move the date to the end of the year and instead leave it at the beginning of the year as it had been in the past.

I think Djnva is correct. Rule reads teams will be ineligible "on a date determined by the presidents". The precedent was there, however, and I don't think anyone should have been surprised. The whining about it, especially from Blaine Taylor, and Ron Hunter, has been a bit much. Both schools have had years to address the rule, and I guess it never crossed their minds to do so. Dancin Monarch has it right. My 14 year old is finally letting up with the "that's not fair" stuff, but it's a battle these days.