PDA

View Full Version : NY Times: At Stony Brook, Baseball Is Just the Latest Success Story

danefan
June 14th, 2012, 02:34 PM
The question facing Fiore now is where to go from here. According to Randall Susman, the faculty-athletic representative, there is a growing support on campus for the university to move up a level in football, to the Football Bowl Subdivision.

That would require an exit from the Big South Conference, where Stony Brook is an associate member, and probably from the America East, where its other teams reside. That conference does not carry football.

Fiore said that he “absolutely” believed Stony Brook was an interesting possibility for F.B.S. conferences, but he declined to go into specifics.

“If an opportunity presented itself, and it’s the right opportunity, that’s our job,” he said. “We’re not shopping. We’re happy where we are. But certainly there are conversations that have taken place and continue to take place.”

He added: “We love the America East. We’ve had a lot of success. We’re aligned with some really great institutions, and we’re happy there.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/14/sports/for-stony-brook-college-world-series-appearance-is-latest-in-a-string-of-successes.html?_r=1&smid=tw-share

Still third place in the AEast Commissioner's Cup though.....xasswhipx

MplsBison
June 14th, 2012, 03:22 PM
High research AAU school in the NYC metro area.

They have that going for them, anyway.

oceandogs
June 14th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I'd like to hear Dane96's thoughts on this. Is this just the same old stuff we've been hearing for years or are there serious discussions going on?

Seawolf97
June 14th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I think we are still quite a distance from the FBS level. Raising the scholarship limit would be easy compared to expanding our stadium and what that would cost. I can see us in the CAA by 2013 especially with a recent baseball success but the the jump to the FBS world ? Maybe they are just laying ground work for a move and planning how to fund it. It is always good to plan though and put those feelers out there showing interest.