PDA

View Full Version : News from NEC Presidents meetings

aceinthehole
June 13th, 2012, 03:02 PM
About NEC expansion ...

Morris led a detailed discussion on the current state of conference realignment. The Presidents offered unanimous support on the current direction of the NEC under its present alignment and emphasized a "value added" approach when considering expansion in the future.

FCS playoff expansion ...

The Presidents of the NEC football schools met as well and reviewed a variety of topics.

Morris happily reported that FCS bracket expansion from 20 to 24 teams could become a reality as early as August, needing to clear one last review by the NCAA Executive Committee. If approved, the expansion ensures all eligible conferences - the NEC included - will receive automatic qualification to the FCS playoffs.

And regarding NEC football scholarships ...

The group also discussed the NEC's current football scholarship limits, which will cap at 40 athletic-related equivalencies in the 2013 season. There were no proposals made to change the current financial aid structure at this time, but the Presidents will continue to evaluate and assess this area at both the institutional and national levels.

http://necsports.posterous.com/visit-by-ncaa-president-highlights-nec-counci#!/

CRAZY_DANE
June 13th, 2012, 03:26 PM
My opinion is this is bad news. Albany needs a fully scholly conference. If the NEC isn't going to provide that then we need to go.

64 scholly NEC is one thing. 40 scholly is a non-starter. That dog won't hunt.

dgreco
June 13th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Since there has been no push to move past 40 does that mean that there really arent that many schools out there that want to go to at least 56?

danefan
June 13th, 2012, 03:42 PM
This is basically "no news".

No movement on scholarships is not surprising, but it is also writing on the wall. Albany has to go and soon.

henfan
June 13th, 2012, 03:44 PM
"Value added"? xlolx

aceinthehole
June 13th, 2012, 03:52 PM
But go where?

Are you really that interested in Big South football? Stony Brook may not be there, Coastal has given their AD permission to look elsewhere, and Liberty has announced their FBS intentions. Are games vs. Gardner-Webb, Presby, VMI, and Chuck South that much better than playing URI, CCSU, RMU, and Monmouth?

Patriot League is not an option.

Of course a CAA invite is a no brainer, but will it come?

Hold tight UA fans, it's not as bad as you think.

danefan
June 13th, 2012, 03:53 PM
But go where?

Are you really that interested in Big South football? Stony Brook may not be there, Coastal has given their AD permission to look elsewhere, and Liberty has announced their FBS intentions. Are games vs. Gardner-Webb, Presby, VMI, and Chuck South that much better than playing URI, CCSU, RMU, and Monmouth?

Patriot League is not an option.

Of course a CAA invite is a no brainer, but will it come?

Hold tight UA fans, its not as bad as you think.

Being hamstrung from funding your program at a nationally competitive level is not good. It could be worse, but its not good.

I agree though - nowhere to go if the CAA doesn't come calling.

aceinthehole
June 13th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Being hamstrung from funding your program at a nationally competitive level is not good. It could be worse, but its not good.

I agree. This sucks, and I wish the NEC would bump the max up to 60, but I think the league is still in a very good position right now. The fact remains that the league is very competative with the Ivy, PL, and MEAC right now, although I admit we are still way too far behind the CAA, SoCon, and Big Sky.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 13th, 2012, 04:22 PM
These meeting notes make the Patriot League meeting minutes look like roller derby.

UAalum72
June 13th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I agree. This sucks, and I wish the NEC would bump the max up to 60, but I think the league is still in a very good position right now. The fact remains that the league is very competative with the Ivy, PL, and MEAC right now, although I admit we are still way too far behind the CAA, SoCon, and Big Sky.
I worry less about being competitive with FCS leagues than the difficulty in scheduling (and being minimally competititve with) an FBS team each year. That would go a lot further to validate the league in the eyes of the general public than OOC FCS wins - even playoff wins.

downbythebeach
June 13th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Maybe what they need to do is try to change the scholarship # rule to count for a FBS team.
I'm sure there are some teams in the Big East who are in favor.

UAalum72
June 13th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Maybe what they need to do is try to change the scholarship # rule to count for a FBS team.
I'm sure there are some teams in the Big East who are in favor.
I don't think they'd cut the count by almost 30%. If the count was changed to 50 or 47.5 (75% of maximum) do you feel the NEC would meet it - and immediately, not inching the league limit up by two per year for the next four or five years?

aceinthehole
June 14th, 2012, 07:02 AM
I don't think they'd cut the count by almost 30%. If the count was changed to 50 or 47.5 (75% of maximum) do you feel the NEC would meet it - and immediately, not inching the league limit up by two per year for the next four or five years?

I think they would, but that's just my opinion. I do think the NEC has supported the reduction of the "bowl counter status" proposed.

MplsBison
June 14th, 2012, 07:03 AM

I agree though - nowhere to go if the CAA doesn't come calling.

Big South. Easily.

Stony Brook is not on the table to move to the CAA.

DetroitFlyer
June 14th, 2012, 07:18 AM
I worry less about being competitive with FCS leagues than the difficulty in scheduling (and being minimally competititve with) an FBS team each year. That would go a lot further to validate the league in the eyes of the general public than OOC FCS wins - even playoff wins.

Very doubtful. Outside of Michigan, NC and the hardcore FCS fan base, few football fans could tell you anything about App State. I doubt that most college football fans could even tell you much about an FBS program like Western Kentucky or Florida International. The once a year beating by an FBS program for money will not increase your name recognition much if at all.... Even if you win, it will not help much. The only reason for the NEC to move up the scholly limit is if the league's schools decide to whore themselves out for an FBS beating and payday once a year to help fund the program. Do you really think that anybody will remember Savannah State for getting creamed by FBS teams this year? It helps fund their program, but outside of a payday it is down right silly. The NEC would be wise to sit tight for a few years, let all teams get up to 40 scholarships, and see how things go in the FCS playoffs. With an expanded field, it certainly seems likely to me that the NEC champion has a great chance to win a game or two in the playoffs, and if things come together just right, maybe more.

danefan
June 14th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Big South. Easily.

Stony Brook is not on the table to move to the CAA.

If Stony Brook is still in the Big South than I might agree.

Games vs. Gardner-Webb, Presby, VMI, and Chuck South are not that much better than playing URI, CCSU, RMU, and Monmouth, but playing Stony Brook once a year and the ability to offer 63 scholarships is that much better than playing URI, CCSU, RMU, and Monmouth.

danefan
June 14th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Very doubtful. Outside of Michigan, NC and the hardcore FCS fan base, few football fans could tell you anything about App State. I doubt that most college football fans could even tell you much about an FBS program like Western Kentucky or Florida International. The once a year beating by an FBS program for money will not increase your name recognition much if at all.... Even if you win, it will not help much. The only reason for the NEC to move up the scholly limit is if the league's schools decide to whore themselves out for an FBS beating and payday once a year to help fund the program. Do you really think that anybody will remember Savannah State for getting creamed by FBS teams this year? It helps fund their program, but outside of a payday it is down right silly. The NEC would be wise to sit tight for a few years, let all teams get up to 40 scholarships, and see how things go in the FCS playoffs. With an expanded field, it certainly seems likely to me that the NEC champion has a great chance to win a game or two in the playoffs, and if things come together just right, maybe more.

As a fan, alumni and supporter of Albany, I do not want my program to be associated with a league that has limited ambition like that. Winning once in a while is not acceptable. Winning National Championships has to be the goal.

aceinthehole
June 14th, 2012, 07:49 AM

For the most part, I think this is exactly how most of the NEC ADs and Presidents view it right now. I do think if the "counter" status was reduced, or if the NEC can't compete at the FCS level, then they would make an immediate move to raise the max.

The ability to schedule and get paid for a beatdown by a FBS team is appealing for us fans, but I don't think it is the NEC's highest priority. They want to be able to win games vs. FCS "peers' foremost.

aceinthehole
June 14th, 2012, 07:52 AM

Games vs. Gardner-Webb, Presby, VMI, and Chuck South are not that much better than playing URI, CCSU, RMU, and Monmouth, but playing Stony Brook once a year and the ability to offer 63 scholarships is that much better than playing URI, CCSU, RMU, and Monmouth.

As a UA fan, I see your point. You need SBU as a rival + the scholarships in the Big South to make it worth it, otherwise the NEC remains your best (and only) option right now.

MplsBison
June 14th, 2012, 07:55 AM

Offering 63 is the only way you can be nationally competitive.

MplsBison
June 14th, 2012, 07:57 AM

So not only do you abhor FBS football - but you can't stand scholarship FCS programs, as they are nothing more than the slaves of FBS programs.

Get the f____ out of this sub-division and into DIII where you belong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aceinthehole
June 14th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Offering 63 is the only way you can be nationally competitive.

BS!

PL teams like Lehigh and Colgate are (or have been) nationally competitive with less than 63 "equivs"

MplsBison
June 14th, 2012, 07:59 AM
As a fan, alumni and supporter of Albany, I do not want my program to be associated with a league that has limited ambition like that. Winning once in a while is not acceptable. Winning National Championships has to be the goal.

Absolutely!

And the means toward that end is full scholarships.

"Participation ribbons", like those so desperately sought after by the PFL schools (while rubbing it in everyone's faces that they refuse to put forth more than a DIII investment into their college football programs) are the only abominations in this sub-division.

MplsBison
June 14th, 2012, 07:59 AM
BS!

PL teams like Lehigh and Colgate are (or have been) nationally competitive with less than 63 "equivs"

They offer pretty close to the max, relatively.

Maybe I'm too rigid, but at least you will agree to the simple fact that 40 is not enough to be nationally competitive and the NEC coaches know it.

UAalum72
June 14th, 2012, 08:07 AM
I was thinking locally, where a lot of people still don't think Albany's FB has moved beyond Union and RPI, and wouldn't think it proven by winning an FCS playoff game - which after all comes at the end of the season, probably on the road, and wouldn't build much momentum for next year. Anyway playing an FBS and winning a playoff aren't mutually exclusive.

The NEC will be at 40 in 2013. Anyone who wants to will have had over eight years to get there. No need 'to sit tight for a few years' more.

danefan
June 14th, 2012, 08:11 AM
You can be competitive nationally with less than 63 scholarships, but you're digging yourself out of a hole before you even start the season.

I don't knock any team that wants to offer football at an FCS level at less than the full scholarship level. For some schools that is great and everyone buys in. For us, its different. Our peers offer full scholarship FCS and FBS football. We need to be in line with our peers.

Monmouth, Wagner, St Francis, Robert Morris, Bryant, Duquesne and Sacred Heart are not our peers. In fact, CCSU isn't a peer institution either.

aceinthehole
June 14th, 2012, 08:27 AM
You can be competitive nationally with less than 63 scholarships, but you're digging yourself out of a hole before you even start the season.

I don't knock any team that wants to offer football at an FCS level at less than the full scholarship level. For some schools that is great and everyone buys in. For us, its different. Our peers offer full scholarship FCS and FBS football. We need to be in line with our peers.

Monmouth, Wagner, St Francis, Robert Morris, Bryant, Duquesne and Sacred Heart are not our peers. In fact, CCSU isn't a peer institution either.

I agree with you, but we all know that VMI, G-W, Liberty, and Presby aren't "peers" to Stony Brook either. Your "peers" are in the CAA, although I do think CCSU and URI will be very nice rivals for you in the NEC.

But I get your point - you want 63 schollys. I want the same for CCSU, I just think the NEC is doing ok so far making the best of the divergent interests and resources available. Very few conferences are homogenous. As we have seen, the PL took a while to approve schollys, somewhat begrudgingly and even the CAA is going through some pains right now.

DFW HOYA
June 14th, 2012, 09:05 AM
For some schools that is great and everyone buys in. For us, its different. Our peers offer full scholarship FCS and FBS football. We need to be in line with our peers. Monmouth, Wagner, St Francis, Robert Morris, Bryant, Duquesne and Sacred Heart are not our peers. In fact, CCSU isn't a peer institution either.

Fair point, but who are Albany's peers in this discussion?

DetroitFlyer
June 14th, 2012, 09:32 AM
So not only do you abhor FBS football - but you can't stand scholarship FCS programs, as they are nothing more than the slaves of FBS programs.

Get the f____ out of this sub-division and into DIII where you belong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please get some help. You should not be drinking this early in the morning.

Dane96
June 14th, 2012, 09:33 AM
UNH, Stony Brook, Delaware, Maine, etc...

MplsBison
June 14th, 2012, 10:23 AM

How about Stony Brook and Buffalo, for starters?

MplsBison
June 14th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Please get some help. You should not be drinking this early in the morning.

If you could, you would make every football program in FCS a true non-scholarship program, like the PFL programs are now. You'd do this out of some insane, maniacal devotion to "cost containment" at the expense of on-field quality.

You were never invited to I-AA. The NCAA forced you to be there. The least you could do is show a little respect to the programs trying to be nationally competitive in the sub-division!!!

henfan
June 14th, 2012, 10:39 AM

Not so fast on URI. With GSU & ODU leaving CAA FB and SBU likely coming on, it appears that Rhody might decide to stay after all.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20120614/SPORTS07/306140060/Baseball-success-bonus-likely-CAA-candidate?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p&nclick_check=1

danefan
June 14th, 2012, 10:42 AM

Our America East brethren are the most clear cut examples, but one could argue that Delaware, UMass, Buffalo, James Madison, etc... are Albany's peers.

aceinthehole
June 14th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Not so fast on URI. With GSU & ODU leaving CAA FB and SBU likely coming on, it appears that Rhody might decide to stay after all.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20120614/SPORTS07/306140060/Baseball-success-bonus-likely-CAA-candidate?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p&nclick_check=1

I guess anything could happen, but I would be very suprised if those reported "whispers" come true. From URI's perspective, what has changed for them - SBU would be replacing UMass as a conference game and they would likely be doing so as a full-member of the CAA.

Outgoing ODU gets 2 games on NBC Sports (even Delaware State gets a game on the CAA's network package), while URI is still playing games to a few thousand at Meade. I just don't see it happening unless there was further expansion of CAA Football.

henfan
June 14th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I guess anything could happen, but I would be very suprised if those reported "whispers" come true. From URI's perspective, what has changed for them - SBU would be replacing UMass as a conference game and they would likely be doing so as a full-member of the CAA.

One of the obstacles to remaining in the CAA for URI was the travel with 2 additional flights potentially be added with GSU & ODU. Trading those two for a bus trip to Stony may be some of the reason behind the reported "whispers". Perhaps Rhody also thinks the competitive environments & recruiting disparities are more favorable with UMass, ODU and GSU now out of the picture. We'll know in fairly short order.

CAA FB's media coverage package is hardly a disadvantage to any non CAA school. As a members of CAA FB in 2012, URI may not see action on NBCSports; however, they will receive coverage throughout the eastern region via the league's arrangement with Comcast. What sort of TV coverage will URI FB receive as members of NEC FB?

MplsBison
June 14th, 2012, 11:51 AM
One of the obstacles to remaining in the CAA for URI was the travel with 2 additional flights potentially be added with GSU & ODU. Trading those two for a bus trip to Stony may be some of the reason behind the reported "whispers". Perhaps Rhody also thinks the competitive environments & recruiting disparities are more favorable with UMass, ODU and GSU now out of the picture. We'll know in fairly short order.

CAA FB's media coverage package is hardly a disadvantage to any non CAA school. As a members of CAA FB in 2012, URI may not see action on NBCSports; however, they will receive coverage throughout the eastern region via the league's arrangement with Comcast. What sort of TV coverage will URI FB receive as members of NEC FB?

But more importantly, how many URI alumni in the NE who subscribe to standard cable or satellite packages will be able to receive such channels without buying an upgraded tier or sports package? Guessing nil.

Heck, Versus (NBC Sports) isn't even on Dish Network's most popular package! Take it from someone who missed the first 4 games of the Stanley Cup!

aceinthehole
June 14th, 2012, 11:57 AM

True, but right now SBU = UMass and we still don't know who else the CAA might add. If it's additional Southern schools like Elon, App St., or Coastal then those flights would replace ODU and GSU anyway.

As part of the NEC package, it's likely URI will get a game on a regional cable sports network like Fox sports Net, SNY or MSG (which are all available nationwide on DirecTV). The NEC television package doesn't compare with the CAA's deal on NBCSports and Comcast Sports Net, but if URI isn't selected for any CAA games, it really doesn't matter, does it?

Again, of course it is possible that URI stays in the CAA, but I would need to hear a lot more than just "whispers" before it would raise an eyebrow with me.