PDA

View Full Version : How many season tickets for 2012?

NoDak 4 Ever
June 13th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I promise this won't be another NDSU thread but this news item came across today.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/364077/

North Dakota State not only passed the 10,000 season football tickets mark for the first time in school history, the school is threatening to top 12,000. It’s to the point where the athletic department is considering capping them."

That's almost 60% of the entire stadium bought out. It got me wondering, how many season tickets do other teams sell each year?

ursus arctos horribilis
June 13th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I promise this won't be another NDSU thread but this news item came across today.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/364077/

North Dakota State not only passed the 10,000 season football tickets mark for the first time in school history, the school is threatening to top 12,000. It’s to the point where the athletic department is considering capping them."

That's almost 60% of the entire stadium bought out. It got me wondering, how many season tickets do other teams sell each year?

Montana is capped at about 80% I think cuz it's always somewhere around 19 to 19.5K in season ticket sales. Unless there is something I missed the season tickets were finished up in April I think.

Why would they want to cap it at around the 60% they are at?

It's a real nice increase for sure though. Good job NDSU fans.

frozennorth
June 13th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Montana is capped at about 80% I think cuz it's always somewhere around 19 to 19.5K in season ticket sales. Unless there is something I missed the season tickets were finished up in April I think.

students iirc get 20%, and the cap would be at 12,500 tickets, or around 65%. You want some general admission tickets I would think.

LakesBison
June 13th, 2012, 03:21 PM
its 12,000 now. 12,500 is cap ive heard. 4000 students 1500 GA 300 players family 200 visitors. thats 18,500 sellout.

thats 67% If my math is right.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 13th, 2012, 04:40 PM
students iirc get 20%, and the cap would be at 12,500 tickets, or around 65%. You want some general admission tickets I would think.

Maybe, but not sure why if you can sell em' early. Maybe a very few for walkups cuz I know there are some of those for Griz games but the fact that they are selling them in mass quantities makes those few gen admits real sought after.

If you can naturally shrink the supply by selling them to season tik holders and take the money prior to game day I am having trouble figuring out the angle for that one.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 13th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Maybe, but not sure why if you can sell em' early. Maybe a very few for walkups cuz I know there are some of those for Griz games but the fact that they are selling them in mass quantities makes those few gen admits real sought after.

If you can naturally shrink the supply by selling them to season tik holders and take the money prior to game day I am having trouble figuring out the angle for that one.

Well to the rational mind it would seem, probably, a bit of puffery on the NDSU Athletic department. They are 25% over their previous record sales so talking about a cap might drive the last few tickets to be sold. I would imagine if they got another 2000 or 3000 ticket requests, they would probably fulfill them.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 13th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Well to the rational mind it would seem, probably, a bit of puffery on the NDSU Athletic department. They are 25% over their previous record sales so talking about a cap might drive the last few tickets to be sold. I would imagine if they got another 2000 or 3000 ticket requests, they would probably fulfill them.

Yeah, it's probably a good move if people aren't sitting around analyzing every little detail like I am.

TheBisonator
June 13th, 2012, 05:17 PM
I'm simply amazed that we're now at 11,972. The number grew by over 2,300 from last year. Trophies beget ticketholders!!

TheBisonator
June 13th, 2012, 05:21 PM

I think it should be capped at around 14,000 personally. Think about it: I understand now that the FD does not have 19,287 seats for football, but I still think that number is more close to 19,000 than 18,700. (I thought I once saw a seat count chart that said there were something like 18,870 or 18,900 or so places to park your *** for a FB game) Let's say that we have 19K to sell every game, if 14K goes to STH's and 3,800 goes to students, that leaves maybe around 1,200 for visitors, players and single game sales. This way with low single game availability, you artificially inflate demand and in turn are able to beef up your season ticket waiting list. This way, fans would be more weary of getting rid of their season tix after maybe a mediocre season or two.

On a different note, I have recently read that Idaho only has 2,900 STH's. I have been visiting their message board lately. I cannot think of a worse college athletics program to be a fan of than U Idaho. A lot of really depressing stuff going on with them.

darell1976
June 13th, 2012, 05:34 PM
This keeps up for NDSU fans are going to be screaming for a bigger dome.

TheBisonator
June 13th, 2012, 05:40 PM
This keeps up for NDSU fans are going to be screaming for a bigger dome.

Once they start a waiting list, you'll see more.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 13th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I think it should be capped at around 14,000 personally. Think about it: I understand now that the FD does not have 19,287 seats for football, but I still think that number is more close to 19,000 than 18,700. (I thought I once saw a seat count chart that said there were something like 18,870 or 18,900 or so places to park your *** for a FB game) Let's say that we have 19K to sell every game, if 14K goes to STH's and 3,800 goes to students, that leaves maybe around 1,200 for visitors, players and single game sales. This way with low single game availability, you artificially inflate demand and in turn are able to beef up your season ticket waiting list. This way, fans would be more weary of getting rid of their season tix after maybe a mediocre season or two.

On a different note, I have recently read that Idaho only has 2,900 STH's. I have been visiting their message board lately. I cannot think of a worse college athletics program to be a fan of than U Idaho. A lot of really depressing stuff going on with them.

Your thinking and my thinking on the matter are very similar. The one thing I would differ with is that it is not artificially inflating things at all. Those are real tickets sold for real dollars so it is just making use of the demand that is there due to the fact that people can't just count on walking up and getting tickets. Make the fans work a little and it helps the program out and a waiting list helps even more. As you said, it makes things more valuable.

That's why I was having trouble seeing the cap at around 12K.

HailSzczur
June 13th, 2012, 08:14 PM
We bought 8 tickets..... It's a start

McNeese72
June 14th, 2012, 07:44 AM
The last two seasons for McNeese is has been a little over 8,000 season tickets sold. Don't know what it will be this season.

It is what it is,
Doc