PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: FARGODOME Turf updates

BisonFan02
June 11th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I'll post them as I see them hit the interwebz in case anyone is curious what is going into the project. The first update gives a few good shots of the "pit" work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtXd8YmsXh4&feature=youtu.be

The Cats
June 11th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks for posting, very interesting.

bojeta
June 11th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I know nothing about this roller system they're using. Will the Astroturf use an infill? If so, does it have to be replaced each time the turf is rolled up?

NoDak 4 Ever
June 11th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I know nothing about this roller system they're using. Will the Astroturf use an infill? If so, does it have to be replaced each time the turf is rolled up?

it would appear that they have designed a product that will keep the infill intact once the turf is rolled up. Either way, this is an amazing engineering feat.

BisonFan02
June 11th, 2012, 10:47 AM
http://www.astroturfusa.com/Press-Releases.aspx?id=425

Here's a press release that goes into details a little bit.

From the link:

The Magic Carpet™ II system uses a series of air jets in the floor on which the entire AstroTurf® field “floats” as it is unrolled from or rolled up onto a huge steel core that lowers into a covered pit. Because the process is fully automatic and takes less than an hour for complete conversion, it helps facilities increase revenue and decrease labor costs by allowing more events. It also keeps field performance and aesthetics at the highest level for years as the field is fully protected rolled up in the pit.

The turf will be AstroTurf® GameDay Grass™ 3D. The field also has a face weight of 60 ounces of fiber per square yard, the highest in the industry. This adds to the durability provided by the fiber. Most importantly, the Magic Carpet™ II system has been redesigned to allow for new generation rubber infilled turf systems. This means the NDSU players will play on a grass-like surface and not a “rug”.

In extensive testing, AstroTurf® GameDay Grass™ systems perform most like natural grass from ball roll, to slide resistance, to the biomechanical function of cleats penetrating and releasing properly. A study at Michigan State University, funded by NFL Charities, found that AstroTurf® GameDay Grass™ systems looked and performed more like natural grass than any other synthetic product measured, also making it the safest option.

The field also has RootZone®, a thatch layer which holds the rubber infill in place for less splash and migration, making for a more consistent playing surface.

It is essentially the same system the STL Rams use. One of the biggest reasons for the delay of us replacing the rug was we wanted to use the roll system. With the new updates to Gameday 3D, it was possible at an added expense.

BisonHype!
June 11th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I'm excited to see the finished product on it. And to see the first game on it!

MplsBison
June 11th, 2012, 11:11 AM
http://www.astroturfusa.com/Press-Releases.aspx?id=425

Here's a press release that goes into details a little bit.

From the link:

It is essentially the same system the STL Rams use. One of the biggest reasons for the delay of us replacing the rug was we wanted to use the roll system. With the new updates to Gameday 3D, it was possible at an added expense.

Key question is: why continue to use a dilapidated rolling pin design? The savings in man-hours vs. setting up and removing a tiled floor on top of a permanent install field is peanuts. Which is why every major dome in the country has a permanent install turf and lays a tile floor on top of it for other events and did it years ago.

Certainly was not worth the extra $2million they're spending to jerry rig this thing. It's too bad that the people who delayed putting in new turf for YEARS until someone finally quoted this rolling pin garbage didn't have to lose the skin and twist the knees and ankles that the players who played on the old surface did. That'd be karma!

MplsBison
June 11th, 2012, 11:15 AM

The infill will still fall out when it's rolled, just not as much as previous designs.

The 3D design has a "thatch layer" (marketing term), which is basically like an undergrowth of small grass blades spiderwebbed below the long blades of glass. This will also prevent the infill pellets from spraying out as much and as far as they did on previous designs when a player cuts hard or slides ("flyout").

They'll still have to do infill maintenance periodically, like they do in all infill surfaces today.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 11th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Key question is: why continue to use a dilapidated rolling pin design? The savings in man-hours vs. setting up and removing a tiled floor on top of a permanent install field is peanuts. Which is why every major dome in the country has a permanent install turf and lays a tile floor on top of it for other events and did it years ago.

Certainly was not worth the extra $2million they're spending to jerry rig this thing. It's too bad that the people who delayed putting in new turf for YEARS until someone finally quoted this rolling pin garbage didn't have to lose the skin and twist the knees and ankles that the players who played on the old surface did. That'd be karma!

and I'm sure Bresciani will get GT on the phone and ask him why he just didn't listen to some random internet troll. Boy that would really make your day, wouldn't it?

MplsBison
June 11th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Yep, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

BisonFan02
June 11th, 2012, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the new sig!

MplsBison
June 11th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Never question anything. You will be happier in life. That much I promise.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 11th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Never question anything. You will be happier in life. That much I promise.

Oh of course, holding a stupid contrarian opinion of everything is way better.

MplsBison
June 11th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Oh of course, holding a stupid contrarian opinion of everything is way better.

DO not enlighten yourself. Trust completely in the information provided by others. Then there can never be any disappointment.

TheBisonator
June 12th, 2012, 10:14 AM

You have made a wonderful breakthrough.

cbarrier90
June 12th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I love the juxtaposition of the two workers' accents in the video. xlolx

JSUBison
June 12th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I love the juxtaposition of the two workers' accents in the video. xlolx

The first guy is from North Dakota, the 2nd must be from South Dakota.

MplsBison
June 12th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Well the first guy, the Fargodome manager, I'm assuming is one of the principle people behind making sure the turf upgrade was delayed as long as possible, until they could get a turf company to quote it to be jerry rigged the Fargodome's magic carpet system rather than having to do a permanent install.

The other guy probably works directly for the turf mfg, which obviously isn't located in Fargo.

Hammersmith
June 13th, 2012, 01:01 PM

Infill is an option with this turf. If you choose not to use it initially, you can change your mind and add it within a year. It sounded like the Fargodome was initially going to hold off on the infill, but I believe they changed their minds. Some of the fill will fall out along the edges, but most of it will stay where it's supposed to. I suspect that the maintenance crew will have to run the "thatching" machine over the turf more often than a permanent instillation. But it's still a far better choice than the tiled stuff that Toronto hated, or the multi-roll stuff that NAU & UNI hates. The Alerus Center in Grand Forks is undergoing the same installation this summer(for a million bucks more because of the way their turf pit was constructed).

BisonFan02
June 15th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Update video #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BddzYoOZNuM&feature=g-all-u

MplsBison
June 15th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Infill is an option with this turf. If you choose not to use it initially, you can change your mind and add it within a year. It sounded like the Fargodome was initially going to hold off on the infill, but I believe they changed their minds. Some of the fill will fall out along the edges, but most of it will stay where it's supposed to. I suspect that the maintenance crew will have to run the "thatching" machine over the turf more often than a permanent instillation. But it's still a far better choice than the tiled stuff that Toronto hated, or the multi-roll stuff that NAU & UNI hates. The Alerus Center in Grand Forks is undergoing the same installation this summer(for a million bucks more because of the way their turf pit was constructed).

So make that two moron domes in the nation that are using the bungled rolling pin design.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they didn't get the tiled design or the multi-roll design. But clearly the correct choice would've been to lay down a permanent install, YEARS AGO, and just eat the.....ZERO cost of not being able to roll the detachable stands over for that seating configuration. Zero cost.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 15th, 2012, 02:24 PM
So make that two moron domes in the nation that are using the bungled rolling pin design.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they didn't get the tiled design or the multi-roll design. But clearly the correct choice would've been to lay down a permanent install, YEARS AGO, and just eat the.....ZERO cost of not being able to roll the detachable stands over for that seating configuration. Zero cost.

Here is where you go wrong. That building is owned by the city of Fargo, not NDSU. They do all kinds of stuff there that doesn't involve football. They have high school basketball tournaments there, wrestling, even filling sandbags. That is their building. If NDSU wants to have fixed seats over whatever they want, they can cough up the money to build their own stadium.

MplsBison
June 15th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Now there is one other design which has never been talked about (and certainly wouldn't be on the table for a Fargodome retrofit), but I would've deemed acceptable: the rolling tray design that is used at the Arizona Cardinals dome.

Basically it's a giant tray that a permanent install of turf could've been installed on that rolls underneath the seats into a huge compartment for storage. Overall it's a similar concept, but one that requires zero labor (other than pushing a button) and does not require any rolling up of the turf.

MplsBison
June 15th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Here is where you go wrong. That building is owned by the city of Fargo, not NDSU. They do all kinds of stuff there that doesn't involve football. They have high school basketball tournaments there, wrestling, even filling sandbags. That is their building. If NDSU wants to have fixed seats over whatever they want, they can cough up the money to build their own stadium.

None of what you just described would've been hindered in the slightest by a permanent install of fieldturf. Could've done it years ago.

Thanks for playing.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 15th, 2012, 02:31 PM
None of what you just described would've been hindered in the slightest by a permanent install of fieldturf. Could've done it years ago.

Thanks for playing.

except the movable seats, which optimizes utility, which the city wanted. Stay in Mpls and tell the Wilfs how to build their stadium.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 15th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Now there is one other design which has never been talked about (and certainly wouldn't be on the table for a Fargodome retrofit), but I would've deemed acceptable: the rolling tray design that is used at the Arizona Cardinals dome.

Basically it's a giant tray that a permanent install of turf could've been installed on that rolls underneath the seats into a huge compartment for storage. Overall it's a similar concept, but one that requires zero labor (other than pushing a button) and does not require any rolling up of the turf.

This is like freakin whack a mole.

The U of Phoenix stadium doesn't roll under the seats, it rolls outside because it is real grass. The tray goes outside to nourish the grass and for maintenance purposes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw17lYXHdd8

MplsBison
June 15th, 2012, 03:55 PM
except the movable seats, which optimizes utility, which the city wanted. Stay in Mpls and tell the Wilfs how to build their stadium.

Optimizes nothing. How is it optimal to haul over a big chunk of aluminum seats that aren't needed in the first place?

MplsBison
June 15th, 2012, 03:56 PM
This is like freakin whack a mole.

The U of Phoenix stadium doesn't roll under the seats, it rolls outside because it is real grass. The tray goes outside to nourish the grass and for maintenance purposes.

I knew that. What's your point?

That it would therefore be impossible to build such a system that would instead contain a permanent install of artificial turn and then simply roll away into a long, flat storage compartment? Nope, that's not impossible. Thanks again.

clenz
June 15th, 2012, 05:24 PM
UNI's turf gets rolled up to be stored.....FWIW

TheBisonator
June 15th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I have never been able to figure out exactly what Mpls' vision is for NDSU Athletics. Any time the athletics department undertakes a venture to improve facilities or other athletic needs, he always seems to have some REAL odd negative issue with whatever it is.

Being angry at starting the complete reconstruction of our basketball arena and athletic department's headquarters this fall instead of building an indoor FB practice facility is something I will never understand.

MplsBison
June 15th, 2012, 07:01 PM
UNI's turf gets rolled up to be stored.....FWIW

In my humble opinion, it's completely and utterly pointless to have to store away a turf field.

You just lay a temporary floor on top of the turf and then do whatever you need to do. This is how the Metrodome in Mpls has operated for several years without any damage to the turf from monster trucks, concerts and anything inbetween. The turf in TCF bank stadium just survived the ginormous stage rig for the U2 concert last fall with no damage.

And so my huge gripe is that the Fargodome could've laid down a permanent install of artificial turf and gotten rid of the dispicable surface that had in there YEARS...YEARS ago. But they cheaped out on the players. Skin, ankles and knees .... ha! Who cares?

MplsBison
June 15th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I have never been able to figure out exactly what Mpls' vision is for NDSU Athletics. Any time the athletics department undertakes a venture to improve facilities or other athletic needs, he always seems to have some REAL odd negative issue with whatever it is.

Being angry at starting the complete reconstruction of our basketball arena and athletic department's headquarters this fall instead of building an indoor FB practice facility is something I will never understand.

Of course you understood what I was saying. Understood it perfectly. Just didn't want to admit that the BSA is still going to be a giant, ugly, white box with the playing floor right at the same level as the fans walk in. A big garage. Yeah the seats will be nicer and they'll be green. But everything else about the place is still going to be DII.

TheBisonator
June 15th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Of course you understood what I was saying. Understood it perfectly. Just didn't want to admit that the BSA is still going to be a giant, ugly, white box with the playing floor right at the same level as the fans walk in. A big garage. Yeah the seats will be nicer and they'll be green. But everything else about the place is still going to be DII.

Actually they're lowering the court level by 30 inches and all seating will be accessed from the top rows (between the current bottom of the upper west side seats), meaning stairways/escalators will be built connecting a new concourse level. Also the facility will not have those ugly vertical white panels anymore. It'll be re-clad in brick and stone. Also, every other part of the facility will be literally torn down and rebuilt, as there will be also many areas of brand new construction (that is, in places where there used to be nothing at all, like the new practice courts and the new east side entrance). But of course you don't know these things, cause if you don't immediately like the idea, you just keep your assumptions, and you don't bother to find out the actual info of what they're actually doing.

clenz
June 15th, 2012, 08:06 PM
In my humble opinion, it's completely and utterly pointless to have to store away a turf field.

You just lay a temporary floor on top of the turf and then do whatever you need to do. This is how the Metrodome in Mpls has operated for several years without any damage to the turf from monster trucks, concerts and anything inbetween. The turf in TCF bank stadium just survived the ginormous stage rig for the U2 concert last fall with no damage.

And so my huge gripe is that the Fargodome could've laid down a permanent install of artificial turf and gotten rid of the dispicable surface that had in there YEARS...YEARS ago. But they cheaped out on the players. Skin, ankles and knees .... ha! Who cares?
Well, there is the fact that the UNIDome's surface under the turf is the indoor track serface.....why pay to lay down permanent turf to pay to have a track put over the turf when there is a track under the turf?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ABmIR3fOzHA/TUXlSOFhQ3I/AAAAAAAAAD0/RjOVnKVqlzo/s1600/UNI+Dome.jpg

MplsBison
June 15th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Actually they're lowering the court level by 30 inches and all seating will be accessed from the top rows (between the current bottom of the upper west side seats), meaning stairways/escalators will be built connecting a new concourse level. Also the facility will not have those ugly vertical white panels anymore. It'll be re-clad in brick and stone. Also, every other part of the facility will be literally torn down and rebuilt, as there will be also many areas of brand new construction (that is, in places where there used to be nothing at all, like the new practice courts and the new east side entrance). But of course you don't know these things, cause if you don't immediately like the idea, you just keep your assumptions, and you don't bother to find out the actual info of what they're actually doing.

Right, so they're going to make every go up to give the appearance that they have to go down into a bowl seating arrangement. A jerry rigged concourse.

I'll believe it when I see it that the entire exterior is going to be brick. That wasn't shown in a single rendering, just smaller parts of the building. Or perhaps you're thinking of the indoor track building.

Yes I realize most of the 32 million or whatever it will end up costing is not going to the arena. That's painfully obvious. Not much you can do with an ugly white garage. No, the Fargodome addition was the key to NDSU ever having a DI bball facility. Oh well, football is the main sport at NDSU and that's never going to change.

MplsBison
June 15th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Well, there is the fact that the UNIDome's surface under the turf is the indoor track serface.....why pay to lay down permanent turf to pay to have a track put over the turf when there is a track under the turf?

200m flat tracks are terrible. Any school that cares about its track athletes and uses a 200m track has a banked track. These can me set up and taken down very easily in modular pieces. I believe Idaho St has good pictures on their athletics website. And, of course, this could be set up easily on top of the turf.

UNI-Dome may end up doing this in a few years. As I've heard both UNI and NAU have not had the greatest experiences with the multi-rolls.

TheBisonator
June 15th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Right, so they're going to make every go up to give the appearance that they have to go down into a bowl seating arrangement. A jerry rigged concourse.

I'll believe it when I see it that the entire exterior is going to be brick. That wasn't shown in a single rendering, just smaller parts of the building. Or perhaps you're thinking of the indoor track building.

Yes I realize most of the 32 million or whatever it will end up costing is not going to the arena. That's painfully obvious. Not much you can do with an ugly white garage. No, the Fargodome addition was the key to NDSU ever having a DI bball facility. Oh well, football is the main sport at NDSU and that's never going to change.

Please point out to me the ugly white paneling on the exterior. Seems to have been taken down as far as I know. They obviously will be replacing it with either tan brick or stone.

http://legacy.inforum.com/pdfs/Picture1.jpg

On a different note: where the hell is the Fargodome in the background???

BisonFan02
June 25th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Update #3.....can actually see the turf coming in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JG9oyuo0bo

BisonFan02
June 25th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Overhead picture

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/282367_10151103722283646_1353592771_n.jpg

BisonFan02
June 26th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Link to live video of turf installation courtesy of Astroturf.

http://www.astroturfusa.com/In-the-News.aspx?id=453

OrygunBison
June 26th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Please point out to me the ugly white paneling on the exterior. Seems to have been taken down as far as I know. They obviously will be replacing it with either tan brick or stone.

http://legacy.inforum.com/pdfs/Picture1.jpg

On a different note: where the hell is the Fargodome in the background???

Ugh...Nator, you made me do it....

You seriously think this picture looks like a DI Bball facility? On this point, I actually agree with MPLSioux. It is a lot of cost for such a void of architecture. I wish they had some vision on this issue.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 26th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Ugh...Nator, you made me do it....

You seriously think this picture looks like a DI Bball facility? On this point, I actually agree with MPLSioux. It is a lot of cost for such a void of architecture. I wish they had some vision on this issue.

What does a DI facility look like? More importantly, where are all the big fancy arenas elsewhere in the Summit?

clenz
June 26th, 2012, 11:17 AM
What does a DI facility look like? More importantly, where are all the big fancy arenas elsewhere in the Summit?

FWIW...here is UNI's arena - holds about 7,500. Granted it is one of the smallest in the Valley (most in the Valley are in the 10-14K range with Creighton averaging over 17k per home game) and most wanted to see it about 9-11K. UNI has been to the NCAA's 6 times since 04 with a S16, and a post season tourney every year since 09

http://i.glerb.net/IMG_0668.jpg

http://www.myonlinecamp.com/uniwomensbasketballcamps/images/20061227_MBBvBradley_A256.JPG

http://www.uni.edu/newsroom/sites/default/files/McLeod.JPG

http://info.aia.org/aiarchitect/thisweek09/0710/0710d_iowa03.jpg

http://www.blackhawkroof.com/images/img-uni.jpg

MplsBison
June 26th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Wow. I don't feel as bad about the exterior appearance of the BSA now that I can see the exterior of UNI's arena. UNI's is still obviously much better and the arena portion of the BSA still isn't going to be even close to the same class as the UNI arena.

But at least the BSA will no longer be an exact geometic box.

To me, these are acceptable exterior appearances of an arena:

http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics12/640/JN/JNTRNRJEEVMURSP.20051116163207.jpg http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics18/400/RP/RPPZUMIRCMTSDLE.20051116164932.jpg

5600 capacity, $25 million. UA-Little Rock. Opened during the 2005-06 season.

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1327/5147583284_ab32cd5ec4_z.jpg http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/oakl/graphics/orena-pic-679x297.jpg

3000 capacity. Oakland university (MI). Opened during the 1998-99 season.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 26th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Wow. I don't feel as bad about the exterior appearance of the BSA now that I can see the exterior of UNI's arena. UNI's is still obviously much better and the arena portion of the BSA still isn't going to be even close to the same class as the UNI arena.

But at least the BSA will no longer be an exact geometic box.

To me, these are acceptable exterior appearances of an arena:

http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics12/640/JN/JNTRNRJEEVMURSP.20051116163207.jpg http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics18/400/RP/RPPZUMIRCMTSDLE.20051116164932.jpg

5600 capacity, $25 million. UA-Little Rock. Opened during the 2005-06 season.

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1327/5147583284_ab32cd5ec4_z.jpg http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/oakl/graphics/orena-pic-679x297.jpg

3000 capacity. Oakland university (MI). Opened during the 1998-99 season.

Huh, I was looking and I don't seem to find their $50 million 20,000 seat football stadiums.

You keep thinking that NDSU is a basketball school. They are a football school with a basketball habit.

MplsBison
June 26th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Huh, I was looking and I don't seem to find their $50 million 20,000 seat football stadiums.

You keep thinking that NDSU is a basketball school. They are a football school with a basketball habit.

Sorry. I completely forgot about that rule saying if you have DI football then when you build a new basketball arena or make a major update to the existing arena, it's a requirement that the exterior must (still) look like complete s___.

Thanks for reminding me.

Twit.

clenz
June 26th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Sorry. I completely forgot about that rule saying if you have DI football then when you build a new basketball arena or make a major update to the existing arena, it's a requirement that the exterior must (still) look like complete s___.

Thanks for reminding me.

Twit.
There aren't many schools that have top notch basketball and football facilities...typically one is good and the other is average, if that.

MplsBison
June 26th, 2012, 12:17 PM
UNI has top notch facilities for both.

Their arena just looks like an industrial park building from the outside.

ValleyChamp
June 26th, 2012, 01:02 PM

I am not a fan of the exterior of UNI's Mcleod Center either, quite frankly. I think its OK, but it certainly is not great. I think they would have liked to do something a little different on the exterior, but the challenge was pairing it up with the UNIdome. It is connected to the Dome, and they had to make it look somewhat similar so it didn't look ridiculous being matched together, and the UNIdome has a pretty plain concrete exterior.

TheBisonator
June 26th, 2012, 04:11 PM

How is it simultaneously butt-ugly and top-notch at the same time?? If it's butt-ugly, then it fails in the design category, taking away it's top-notch status.

I've seen the arena pics for the new SHAC, it's gonna look very similar to the McLeod Center as far as seating goes. The inside of the SHAC will look absolutely NOTHING like the current BSA. The entire interior is going to be gutted like a fish, but in stages. They're not going to put up some pretty things and repaint walls. The entire interior will be completely destroyed. $32 million can do that for you, it's not money being wasted or us overpaying. You can do huge things with the budget.

As far as you saying the SHAC doesn't "look like a DI basketball facility", I've been spending some time recently looking at pics of the D2 basketball facilities, and ever since the dilution of that division, at least 85 percent of those teams have a facility that would be mistaken as a high school gym if you took away the acronyms inside that end in "U" and replace them with "HS" acronyms.

I could maybe think of a few D2 facilities that would be better than the SHAC once its done, and if I counted them, I wouldn't even need to use all my fingers. NKU definitely, you could argue that the SHAC will be better than Mankato's arena, so that might not count, Maybe Nebraska-Kearney, and I can't think of much more right now.

MplsBison
June 26th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Only $4million of the total money being spent on the new indoor track and the BSA updates is actually being spent on the arena itself. And I would be willing to bet when it's all said and done, with the inexorable cost overruns that will pop up, next to nothing will be spent on dressing up the exterior of the building. Gotta cut costs somewhere when the chips are down and budgets have to be met. Exterior aesthetics are nice, but not functional.

The upgrades being made absolutely are going to address badly needed facilities for the basketball program (practice facility) as well as new locker rooms, new weight room and training room and new offices for the AD administration.

But I'll bet money right now that when it's said and done, the arena of the BSA is not even going to come close to being as nice as the DECC in Duluth. Something like that would be the perfect size for NDSU bball (with seating sightlines reconfigured to be optimal for bball, not hockey).

It's going to be the same general space and configuration as the BSA is now, just with nicer seats and a concourse that lets you walk from the seating areas without having to climb all the way to the bottom. But the court is still going to be right at ground level, where people enter. They're going to have to go up from the entrances to get up to the concourses, then up to their sets.

TheBisonator
June 27th, 2012, 01:00 AM
Only $4million of the total money being spent on the new indoor track and the BSA updates is actually being spent on the arena itself. And I would be willing to bet when it's all said and done, with the inexorable cost overruns that will pop up, next to nothing will be spent on dressing up the exterior of the building. Gotta cut costs somewhere when the chips are down and budgets have to be met. Exterior aesthetics are nice, but not functional.

The upgrades being made absolutely are going to address badly needed facilities for the basketball program (practice facility) as well as new locker rooms, new weight room and training room and new offices for the AD administration.

But I'll bet money right now that when it's said and done, the arena of the BSA is not even going to come close to being as nice as the DECC in Duluth. Something like that would be the perfect size for NDSU bball (with seating sightlines reconfigured to be optimal for bball, not hockey).

It's going to be the same general space and configuration as the BSA is now, just with nicer seats and a concourse that lets you walk from the seating areas without having to climb all the way to the bottom. But the court is still going to be right at ground level, where people enter. They're going to have to go up from the entrances to get up to the concourses, then up to their sets.

I counted at least 4 things wrong with your post:

1) $5.6 million will be spent on the arena portion, not 4 million.

2) Exterior recladding is a part of the construction budget and will not be abandoned.

3) The seating configuration will be octagonal concrete grandstand seating in the round. The current BSA consists of 4 sides of either pull-out wooden bleachers or erector set wooden bleachers with a concrete grandstand on the west side.

4) The court level will not be the same as now. They are lowering the floor of the arena by 30 inches. I may have already mentioned it in another post, but I wouldn't expect you to pay any attention to it.

MplsBison
June 27th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Oh wow, 5.6million out of a 32million (and it's more now) project. You really put me in my place, thanks for completely disproving my argument.

You wait and see on your "recladding" (wtf does that mean?). Things get cut on the fly ALL THE TIME from construction projects as budgets overrun. It always happens. You cut the least functional items first. I bet anything the BSA will still have the ugly, white panel exterior 5 years from now.

Again, oh wow, 30 inches. Is that enough for even one row of seats? No.

The correct way to do it, if they were going to do it right, would be for the street level, where the entrances are located, to be at the same level as the concourse. Then the bowl seating would be sunken completely below that level all the way down to the court. I don't know what a standard might be, but at least enough for 15-20 rows of seating so say maybe 50 feet. Then any additional seating should be above the concourses.

That's a standard arrangement.

And the pictures I've seen of the arena do not in any way indicate that all the seating is going to be on concrete, permanent structures. To me it just looks like nicer pull-out seats. We'll see, I guess.

TheBisonator
June 27th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Oh wow, 5.6million out of a 32million (and it's more now) project. You really put me in my place, thanks for completely disproving my argument.

Well, you said 4 million, and you were obviously 1.6 million dollars off, didn't make you correct in any way when you threw out that figure. Unless if the laws of mathematics completely changed today and now 5,600,000 = 4,000,000.

You wait and see on your "recladding" (wtf does that mean?). Things get cut on the fly ALL THE TIME from construction projects as budgets overrun. It always happens. You cut the least functional items first. I bet anything the BSA will still have the ugly, white panel exterior 5 years from now.

OMG, you never committed a typo before??

You're really putting a lot of money down on the scenario of that happening. You're just DETERMINED to see that happen, aren't you?? Even when there's absolutely no indication that there's even a CHANCE of that happening next year when it's under construction. I could definitely be sure that the sun is going to explode tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes and goes, I might be pissed off somewhat after I realize it didn't come true. I MIGHT put all my energy towards thinking I'll completely recover from my cancer in the next 48 hours (even though I still have weeks to go), but I'll still be waiting for my next chemo when Friday rolls around. That's why I don't put all my eggs in the basket of something that probably won't come true. Not worth it.

Again, oh wow, 30 inches. Is that enough for even one row of seats? No.

I really don't care what was typed after this.

Hammerhead
June 27th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Back on topic, the new surface will look 100% better without the large Fargodome pinwheel logo at midfield. It even looks better half finished. :)

http://www.inforum.com/media/full/jpg/2012/06/25/0626-s-bisonturf1.jpg

Longhorn
June 27th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Back on topic, the new surface will look 100% better without the large Fargodome pinwheel logo at midfield. It even looks better half finished. :)

It's looking good. Much nicer design, and thank goodness that green painted concrete it's replacing is long gone. That surface had to be some of the worse in the country. Bison players and visiting teams should really enjoy the upgrade.

Drblankstare
June 27th, 2012, 10:33 PM

They should leave it like this, the silver makes it look futuristic.:D

TheBisonator
June 28th, 2012, 10:12 PM
They originally screwed up the kickoff markers by putting the one on the left half of the field at the 40 while the other one was at the 35. I tried explaining it to people on Bisonville, but they apparently fixed the mistake pretty quickly. One poster there thought I was hallucinating, cause he obviously saw a pic of the turf after they had corrected the mistake. Luckily someone took a screenshot before the corrected the mistake.

That field is gonna be TITS when it's all said and done.

bisonguy
June 28th, 2012, 10:27 PM
They originally screwed up the kickoff markers by putting the one on the left half of the field at the 40 while the other one was at the 35. I tried explaining it to people on Bisonville, but they apparently fixed the mistake pretty quickly. One poster there thought I was hallucinating, cause he obviously saw a pic of the turf after they had corrected the mistake. Luckily someone took a screenshot before the corrected the mistake.

That field is gonna be TITS when it's all said and done.

It never was an error. The markers are cut into the turf rolls, along with the arrows by the numbers. You just saw a photo where the marker was laying on top of the turf in a random spot before it was cut in the proper location.

TheBisonator
June 28th, 2012, 10:57 PM
It never was an error. The markers are cut into the turf rolls, along with the arrows by the numbers. You just saw a photo where the marker was laying on top of the turf in a random spot before it was cut in the proper location.

So the marker wasn't connected to the turf, but it somehow managed to be properly centered directly on the 40 yard line equidistant from both sidelines??

Whatever. It's not an issue now anyway.

MplsBison
June 29th, 2012, 09:38 AM
The only error in this whole process was waiting 5-10 additional years to make this upgrade - FOR NO REASON.

LakesBizun
June 29th, 2012, 03:00 PM
The only error in this whole process was waiting 5-10 additional years to make this upgrade - FOR NO REASON.

3 million reasons?

bisonguy
June 29th, 2012, 05:47 PM
So the marker wasn't connected to the turf, but it somehow managed to be properly centered directly on the 40 yard line equidistant from both sidelines??

Whatever. It's not an issue now anyway.

It wasn't equidistant, it was 3 feet to the west of center.

BisonFan02
July 3rd, 2012, 03:04 PM
Infill coming in....looking good!

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/560885_10151121652263646_663154477_n.jpg

mmiller_34
July 3rd, 2012, 03:28 PM
That looks awesome. I can only hope SDSU gets turf of that caliber.

JSUBison
July 3rd, 2012, 04:10 PM
That looks awesome. I can only hope SDSU gets turf of that caliber.

I remember an article in the Forum just before the Dakota Marker game, and it was about the advantage SDSU has in the Valley by having the only field with natural grass. I'd stick with the grass if I were SDSU.

Bogus Megapardus
July 3rd, 2012, 04:13 PM
Very nice. It looks a lot different than when we played there last year! Will the "roll up" process be damaging to the turf? Will it have the same "feel" as the permanent FieldTurf surfaces at many FCS venues (including ours), or will the concrete pad still make a difference? Sorry if all this has been asked and answered before.

BisonFan02
July 3rd, 2012, 06:19 PM
Very nice. It looks a lot different than when we played there last year! Will the "roll up" process be damaging to the turf? Will it have the same "feel" as the permanent FieldTurf surfaces at many FCS venues (including ours), or will the concrete pad still make a difference? Sorry if all this has been asked and answered before.

My understanding is that the "roll up" process isn't going to affect the surface. I have a hard time believing that it won't over time, but I'll take it for what it's worth. Its supposed to have to same look/feel of a permanent field turf surface, and the pad won't make a difference. The biggest reason why we had to wait to put a new surface in was because we wanted to be able to roll it up. Astroturf can now accommodate that with the FieldTurf 3D (yes, cue the MPLS whine fest).

BisonFan02
July 3rd, 2012, 06:20 PM

By the way, you are more than welcome to come back and see the new turf! xhighfivex

MplsBison
July 3rd, 2012, 06:23 PM

And to think...this could've been done 5-10 years ago for 1/3rd the cost.

MplsBison
July 3rd, 2012, 06:25 PM
I remember an article in the Forum just before the Dakota Marker game, and it was about the advantage SDSU has in the Valley by having the only field with natural grass. I'd stick with the grass if I were SDSU.

If two fighters both have to stab themselves in the leg before the fight, is that really an advantage just because the other fighter has to do it multiple times per year?

SDSU's should be forced by the NCAA into having artificial turf. It looks like garbage and plays like it too. Get it out!

MplsBison
July 3rd, 2012, 06:28 PM

In theory it won't damage it and will have the same feel.

You tell me, is a giant 50 ton (or whatever it weights) roll of carpet that's shoved down into a storage pit going to come out exactly the same after sitting there for 6 months? I have my doubts, to be honest.

The saddest part of this is that a permanent install could've been done 5-10 years ago for a 1/3rd of what they paid. But then they would've had to throw out the ligament shredder/skin grafter surface before its "useful life" was fully depleted and they wouldn't get to have their bull____ floating stands for the one or two times it's used a year.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 3rd, 2012, 07:21 PM

You tell me, is a giant 50 ton (or whatever it weights) roll of carpet that's shoved down into a storage pit going to come out exactly the same after sitting there for 6 months? I have my doubts, to be honest.

The saddest part of this is that a permanent install could've been done 5-10 years ago for a 1/3rd of what they paid. But then they would've had to throw out the ligament shredder/skin grafter surface before its "useful life" was fully depleted and they wouldn't get to have their bull____ floating stands for the one or two times it's used a year.

http://i1.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens4997912module36950042photo_1243772216bor ed-cat.jpg

Bogus Megapardus
July 3rd, 2012, 07:37 PM
By the way, you are more than welcome to come back and see the new turf!

We'd like to come back, for sure. Add a few scholarship classes under our belt, plus the kinds of guys we had when we faced App State, UMass and Delaware, and we'll make a game of it next time!

Bogus Megapardus
July 3rd, 2012, 07:43 PM

MplsBison - I take it that you have graduate-level instruction in mechanical engineering, plasticity, strength of materials and elastic memory.

That's comforting for all of us, to be sure.

clenz
July 3rd, 2012, 09:36 PM
All of UNIs practice fields are grass....not that big of an advantage.

Now it may be an advantage in the fact that it is the worst surface I've seen

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

FargoBison
July 3rd, 2012, 11:27 PM
All of UNIs practice fields are grass....not that big of an advantage.

Now it may be an advantage in the fact that it is the worst surface I've seen

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, SDSU's primary advantage isn't that they play on grass it is mainly that they play on a pasture.

frozennorth
July 4th, 2012, 12:19 AM

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/560885_10151121652263646_663154477_n.jpg
the fargoloaf is looking good.

MplsBison
July 4th, 2012, 08:40 AM
MplsBison - I take it that you have graduate-level instruction in mechanical engineering, plasticity, strength of materials and elastic memory.

That's comforting for all of us, to be sure.

Yep.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/materials-science-and-engineering/
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mechanical-engineering/

TheBisonator
July 4th, 2012, 11:32 AM
the fargoloaf is looking good.

Way better looking than the Potato Bin

TheBisonator
July 4th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Yep.

You're throwing online courses on the table as part of your argument?? SUPER LAME.

The again all of your opinions suck major arse (and everyone else on AGS thinks so too), so I shouldn't be surprised.

Bogus Megapardus
July 4th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Yep.

Will "MplsBison" Hunting, I presume.

MplsBison
July 4th, 2012, 06:17 PM
You're throwing online courses on the table as part of your argument?? SUPER LAME.

The again all of your opinions suck major arse (and everyone else on AGS thinks so too), so I shouldn't be surprised.

He asked if I had graduate level instruction in those topics. I have. From Massachusetts Institute of Technology, no less.

MplsBison
July 4th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Will "MplsBison" Hunting, I presume.

See, the sad thing about a guy like you is, one day you're going to realize you dropped 150 grand on a ****in' education you could have got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library.

clenz
July 4th, 2012, 09:14 PM
See, the sad thing about a guy like you is, one day you're going to realize you dropped 150 grand on a ****in' education you could have got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library.
The sad thing is you think it costs 150 grand to get a college education....or that you think a 50 dollar online course from a library accomplishes the same thing

NoDak 4 Ever
July 4th, 2012, 09:40 PM
The sad thing is you think it costs 150 grand to get a college education....or that you think a 50 dollar online course from a library accomplishes the same thing

Worse. He's quoting Matt Damon's character in Good Will Hunting, somehow equating himself to that character, who was smart.

Bogus Megapardus
July 4th, 2012, 11:04 PM
So, MplsBison . . . do you like apples?

MplsBison
July 5th, 2012, 12:24 PM

Dollar fifty.

You dyslexic prick! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymsHLkB8u3s

MplsBison
July 5th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Get a GOOOOOD look, Bisonator:

http://www.inforum.com/media/full/jpg/2012/07/04/0705-s-ellig.jpg

There's about what you can expect for the "new" exterior of the BSA.

Not a damn brick in sight....

southernbounder
July 5th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Get a GOOOOOD look, Bisonator:

http://www.inforum.com/media/full/jpg/2012/07/04/0705-s-ellig.jpg

There's about what you can expect for the "new" exterior of the BSA.

Not a damn brick in sight....
BSA isn't going to have a steel siding exterior like the track and field facility. The BSA exterior will look nothing like that.

If you don't like the new facilities why don't you get your checkbook out and pay for brick that you so desire.

You are in the same group as lakes and jbb on these message boards. Congrats dumbass.

MplsBison
July 5th, 2012, 04:42 PM
BSA isn't going to have a steel siding exterior like the track and field facility. The BSA exterior will look nothing like that.

If you don't like the new facilities why don't you get your checkbook out and pay for brick that you so desire.

You are in the same group as lakes and jbb on these message boards. Congrats dumbass.

I damn well can complain about the piss poor, trailer park look of the facilities without donating a single cent towards their upgrade.

Piss off, Mr. 3 posts.

No_Skill
July 5th, 2012, 05:37 PM
I damn well can complain about the piss poor, trailer park look of the facilities without donating a single cent towards their upgrade.

Piss off, Mr. 3 posts.

And he can complain about you complaining.

Piss off, Mr. Too Many Posts.

southernbounder
July 5th, 2012, 09:01 PM

Piss off, Mr. 3 posts.

You are the type who complains about a politician or political party but doesn't take the time to go out and vote. If you don't like the facilities write a check. If you can't afford the precious brick STFU and move on. We have all heard your complaints and know how you feel. Now it's time to put the big boy pants on and accept that it isn't going to happen this time around. Move on poor sport.

PS: It is Mr. 4 posts now.

Grizo406
July 5th, 2012, 10:16 PM
NDSU knows how to get things done!xnodx

A hearty "Well Done" to all those responsible for this improvement to the fabulous Fargodome!!xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

MplsBison
July 6th, 2012, 08:06 AM
You are the type who complains about a politician or political party but doesn't take the time to go out and vote. If you don't like the facilities write a check. If you can't afford the precious brick STFU and move on. We have all heard your complaints and know how you feel. Now it's time to put the big boy pants on and accept that it isn't going to happen this time around. Move on poor sport.

PS: It is Mr. 4 posts now.

Incorrect analogy. Voting is free and I do it every time.

I should be allowed to complain about poor facilities without having to donate. I think I'll continue to do that, newb.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 6th, 2012, 08:15 AM
And he can complain about you complaining.

Piss off, Mr. Too Many Posts.

He has so many posts because he writes something totally ****headed, 8 people correctly tell him he's an idiot and he responds individually to every one.

It's a pretty good formula.

southernbounder
July 6th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Incorrect analogy. Voting is free and I do it every time.

I should be allowed to complain about poor facilities without having to donate. I think I'll continue to do that, newb.

It doesn't surprise me that you will continue to be a parasite on this and many other topics. I wouldn't expect anything different from the wack pack (lakes, jbb and mpls).

Do us all a favor and start following a school outside of the FCS so we don't have to read your constant nonsense on this site.

Hammerhead
July 6th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Back on topic, the turf if looking good although it would have been nice to keep the bison logo in the end zone like they did with the old carpet shown in the 2nd photo.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/484483_10151121652343646_932354518_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/258013_10150317279863646_5483344_o.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/258013_10150317279863646_5483344_o.jpg

goyotes
July 6th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Turf looks good. Would look even better if seats were green instead of blue and red.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 6th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Turf looks good. Would look even better if seats were green instead of blue and red.

Yes, it might but it's not NDSU's building. It belongs to the city. It is their arena that is leased to NDSU for football.

bobcathpdevil56
July 6th, 2012, 11:06 AM

Is there a reason for the seats being that color? That is pretty interesting.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 6th, 2012, 11:25 AM

That's what the city, who owns the arena, wanted. I think they got some used seats and they happened to be that color.

It doesn't really matter what color the seats are when you can fill the place like they do.

http://www.panoramas.com/images/P/NDSU2.jpg

bobcathpdevil56
July 6th, 2012, 11:31 AM
That's what the city, who owns the arena, wanted. I think they got some used seats and they happened to be that color.

It doesn't really matter what color the seats are when you can fill the place like they do.

Yep, very true. Just wondering, I wrestled there a couple of times, just interesting the color choice.

southernbounder
July 6th, 2012, 11:55 AM

The red seats were used. They came from one of the old facilities in Minneapolis. I can't remember which one.

I wasn't around when the whole process started to get the dome built. I am assuming the people in charge thought it would be easier to sell the idea to the public by not making it appear that it was being built solely for NDSU. Different colored seats made it look more like the publics facility.

MplsBison
July 6th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Yes, it might but it's not NDSU's building. It belongs to the city. It is their arena that is leased to NDSU for football.

Yep, that must be why it was built as a primarily football venue with NDSU being the only major team in town.

Twit.

MplsBison
July 6th, 2012, 12:54 PM

Cheapness. Like everything else when the Fargodome has to pay for it, rather than NDSU (which does it first class - ie, the coaches' offices).

NoDak 4 Ever
July 6th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Yep, that must be why it was built as a primarily football venue with NDSU being the only major team in town.

Twit.

Hey asshole. You dripped up to Fargo for a few years to go to school. I lived there all my life. Do you know who Roger Johnson is? He was a friend of my family. He also was the one who started the whole idea of a larger public arena to replace the Civic Center. Did you ever get south of 12th Avenue? 90% of the Fargodome's events are NOT NDSU.

As I said, go wait by the phone for Zygi Wilf to call, I'm sure he's dying to hear how to really build a stadium from some two bit message board troll.

Bogus Megapardus
July 6th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Cheapness. Like everything else when the Fargodome has to pay for it, rather than NDSU (which does it first class - ie, the coaches' offices).

Or, perhaps is was . . . say . . . efficiency, frugality and civic purpose. It could have been some stupid and illogical thing like a major educational institution working in cooperation with its community for the betterment of both - imagine that! Such fools.

MplsBison
July 6th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Or, perhaps is was . . . say . . . efficiency, frugality and civic purpose. It could have been some stupid and illogical thing like a major educational institution working in cooperation with its community for the betterment of both - imagine that! Such fools.

Maybe.

But I guarantee you'll find a lot of 'old timer' NDSU Bison football fans who can tell you countless stories of DII glory at the old, outdoor stadium.

Would NDSU have been able to make the move to I-AA with that 10k stadium? No.

However, the Fargodome certainly didn't help NDSU any when it was still DII.

You never know what could've happened if they had sunk maybe $25 million into the stadium to upgrade it to say 20k fans, upgrade the seating, concessions, bathrooms, new press box.

By now, an endzone football facility would've been built (like SDSU's) and so would a massive grandstand structure with suites, etc. - like App State's.

So I for one will not suck the Fargodome's ____ like a lot of NDSU fans do now. That's for darn sure.

MplsBison
July 6th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Hey asshole. You dripped up to Fargo for a few years to go to school. I lived there all my life. Do you know who Roger Johnson is? He was a friend of my family. He also was the one who started the whole idea of a larger public arena to replace the Civic Center. Did you ever get south of 12th Avenue? 90% of the Fargodome's events are NOT NDSU.

As I said, go wait by the phone for Zygi Wilf to call, I'm sure he's dying to hear how to really build a stadium from some two bit message board troll.

Whole lot of words - not much said.

Why in the world would Fargo, which already has a very nice Civic Center, A) need a larger venue than that and B) need it to be sized for football when no professional football teams are near the city???

The Fargodome is s___ for basically anything that doesn't utilize the entire space. The only events that do that are football and maybe monster trucks.

I love how they try to drop those stupid bull____ black curtains to make it seems like you're in a nice intiment little space. What a joke. It's terrible for basketball too.

It's an awesome facility for NDSU football, high school football and if there ever was a professional football team in Fargo for some reason (NFL minor leagues?) - it'd be great for that.

I won't go there for anything else.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 6th, 2012, 01:41 PM

Why in the world would Fargo, which already has a very nice Civic Center, A) need a larger venue than that and B) need it to be sized for football when no professional football teams are near the city???

The Fargodome is s___ for basically anything that doesn't utilize the entire space. The only events that do that are football and maybe monster trucks.

I love how they try to drop those stupid bull____ black curtains to make it seems like you're in a nice intiment little space. What a joke. It's terrible for basketball too.

It's an awesome facility for NDSU football, high school football and if there ever was a professional football team in Fargo for some reason (NFL minor leagues?) - it'd be great for that.

Because the Civic Center holds 3k. They wouldn't have had the hundreds of concerts, motorsports, sandbag filling, anything if they hadn't built the Fargodome. They had a CBA franchise in there when they opened, the Fargo-Moorhead Fever.

Because you're just an out-of-towner anyway, nobody cares what your opinion is, was, or ever will be. You don't know any of the history of the building, you just have the typical superfan green and gold blinders on.

Hammerhead
July 6th, 2012, 01:57 PM
The Fargodome is also used for concerts. Back when the New Fieldhouse AKA Bison Sports Center was the biggest venue in town, tours hardly ever came to Fargo.

As for an outdoor stadium, there are plenty of current season ticket holders who probably wouldn't be if they knew they had to sit outside on cold November Saturdays.

Ginsbach
July 6th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Because the Civic Center holds 3k. They wouldn't have had the hundreds of concerts, motorsports, sandbag filling, anything if they hadn't built the Fargodome. They had a CBA franchise in there when they opened, the Fargo-Moorhead Fever.

Because you're just an out-of-towner anyway, nobody cares what you're opinion is, was, or ever will be. You don't know any of the history of the building, you just have the typical superfan green and gold blinders on.

Exactly. I spent long, hard days at sandbag central and the Dome when I was at NDSU. I doubt Mpls was in Fargo for any of the floods, but if he were he would have seen just how important the Dome was to saving the city and how great it was to have a location like that.

I've played football in the Fargodome and basketball in the Civic Center. I've also been to numerous concerts in both the Civic Center and the Fargodome. The dome definitely has other uses than just NDSU football. It's a great structure that has served not only NDSU but also the city and the entire surrounding region well.

bobcathpdevil56
July 6th, 2012, 04:26 PM
I remember when I wrestled there it was the first time I had ever seen Dip N Dots (spelling?). Quite a big experience in my life

MplsBison
July 6th, 2012, 05:11 PM

Because you're just an out-of-towner anyway, nobody cares what your opinion is, was, or ever will be. You don't know any of the history of the building, you just have the typical superfan green and gold blinders on.

I should've know the correct point I was making would go right over your head.

I wasn't outright questioning the need for a bigger venue than the civic center. Do you know the meaning of the "and"??? My statement above was asking why Fargo needed a bigger venue than the civic center *******and******* one big enough to play football games in.

Everything you and others listed could've been accomplished just fine in something with the same floor size as the civic center, but with more seats. Concerts would be much, much better in something like the Target center with just the lower bowl than the giant, cavernous Fargodome.

And could you imagine NDSU bball games at an 8-10k arena in downtown Fargo? The bball team might actually mean something to someone other than hardcore NDSU fans.

All goes back to the exact, correct point I was making: the Dome was always built with NDSU football in mind. It's best utilized during Bison football games. By far and by wide.

But for all the bull____ that NDSU has to put up with for the Fargodome to go out of their way to make sure anyone who is listening knows that it's not just for NDSU football --- they would've been better off working to get it voted down an then raised the money themselves to upgrade the stadium at Dacotah Field. No doubt about it in my mind, in hindsight.

No_Skill
July 6th, 2012, 05:50 PM
I, for one, am glad that we have the Fargodome. It's an excellent facility and the new turf will be a great addition.

MplsBison
July 6th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I, for one, am glad that we have the Fargodome. It's an excellent facility and the new turf will be a great addition.

There you go, typical AGS fallacy: pretend I was implying something I wasn't.

I was talking about an alternate scenario where NDSU would'e raised money and updated the stadium at Dacotah Field to I-AA/MVFC standards on their own. That vs. the Fargodome.

No one is talking about the Fargodome vs. Dacotah Field as it exists now.

Duh, you twit.

clenz
July 6th, 2012, 06:18 PM

I was talking about an alternate scenario where NDSU would'e raised money and updated the stadium at Dacotah Field to I-AA/MVFC standards on their own. That vs. the Fargodome.

Duh, you twit.

Pay very little and get a 19k seat stadium for the move.....

OR

Dump MILLIONS and MILLIONS into Dakota Field and use up a **** ton of the money used to gain support for the move.

No_Skill
July 6th, 2012, 06:25 PM

Duh, you twit.

I wasn't replying to you, you egotistical fool. I was merely making a comment.

The world does not revolve around you.

Lametwitcommentandsuch...

344Johnson
July 6th, 2012, 07:09 PM

I remember when I wrestled there it was the first time I had ever seen Dip N Dots (spelling?). Quite a big experience in my life

Apparently MLPS doesn't care that North Dakota kids love playing in there. I played football in there, I loved it because it was the dome.

I wrestled in 5 state tournements. 4 of them in the FargoDome. Far and away the best venue for wrestling in the state. They pull the one endzones bleachers in. You got about 5 or 6 thousand good seats. All of them can see every match. And it was an absolute dream of mine from a young age to run out through a fog machine for wrestling at state in the FargoDome so shut up. It is a great venue and serves its purpose to an absolute T.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 6th, 2012, 08:19 PM
I wasn't replying to you, you egotistical fool. I was merely making a comment.

The world does not revolve around you.

Lametwitcommentandsuch...

Not worth even replying to him......

I can almost bet that he didn't attend 1 game last year, Goophs game included.

MplsBison
July 7th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Pay very little and get a 19k seat stadium for the move.....

OR

Dump MILLIONS and MILLIONS into Dakota Field and use up a **** ton of the money used to gain support for the move.

And not have to deal with the Fargodome.

MplsBison
July 7th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Apparently MLPS doesn't care that North Dakota kids love playing in there. I played football in there, I loved it because it was the dome.

I wrestled in 5 state tournements. 4 of them in the FargoDome. Far and away the best venue for wrestling in the state. They pull the one endzones bleachers in. You got about 5 or 6 thousand good seats. All of them can see every match. And it was an absolute dream of mine from a young age to run out through a fog machine for wrestling at state in the FargoDome so shut up. It is a great venue and serves its purpose to an absolute T.

I said it was a great venue for football. Do you even read the posts or just go on non-sequitor rants because you see it's me that posted it and you want to rail against me for some reason?

Oh please, the Fargodome is justified for wrestling? Give me a friggin' break. If the Minnesota state tournament - which is many times more competitive and more attended than the little ND state tournament - can be held just fine on the floor of the Xcel center, then the ND tourny would be just fine in any of the state's larger arena venues like the REA or in Minot.

Fail and fail, you are dismissed.

344Johnson
July 7th, 2012, 04:22 PM
And not have to deal with the Fargodome.

What is your problem with perhaps one of the top 2 or 3 homefield advantages in the FCS? Currently, the dome is not even consistently sold out. What do you have to complain about? We usually have 17-19 thousand fans making it hell for the opposing teams. Just shut up. You are just pissed because nothing in this world makes you happy. We could rock UND, UNI, and App State back to back to back weeks by a 49-0 score every week and you'd still bitch.

MplsBison
July 7th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Not worth even replying to him......

I can almost bet that he didn't attend 1 game last year, Goophs game included.

You are related to lakes, aren't you?

Only you two dip___ are stupid enough to imply that not attending a minimum number of games (or in lakes' case, not meeting a minimum number of bisonvillers at tailgating) means you're not a real NDSU fan.

Congrats on insulting thousands of NDSU alumni and passionate fans who simply aren't able to attend games for one reason or another.

Disgusting.

And I absolutely was at tailgating for the NDSU-Minnesota game last fall at the state fairgrounds as well as attending the game.

MplsBison
July 7th, 2012, 04:27 PM
What is your problem with perhaps one of the top 2 or 3 homefield advantages in the FCS? Currently, the dome is not even consistently sold out. What do you have to complain about? We usually have 17-19 thousand fans making it hell for the opposing teams. Just shut up. You are just pissed because nothing in this world makes you happy. We could rock UND, UNI, and App State back to back to back weeks by a 49-0 score every week and you'd still bitch.

The entire thread is about the turf. Do you read English?

What in the h___ are you talking about?????????? Homefield advantage??? Sellouts????

When did I say peep about either of those?

Frickin' halfwits.....

clenz
July 7th, 2012, 04:30 PM

FWIW, I'm impressed with the Fargodome after my visit there last fall. Easy to park close to the dome, open concourses, great concessions, etc... My only issue with it is that it was DARK A.F. Did you have the new lights last year or were they this year?

Still isn't the best dome in the conference though....xlolx xstickpokex

No_Skill
July 7th, 2012, 07:12 PM
FWIW, I'm impressed with the Fargodome after my visit there last fall. Easy to park close to the dome, open concourses, great concessions, etc... My only issue with it is that it was DARK A.F. Did you have the new lights last year or were they this year?

The new lights were last year, but keep in mind that they are intended to light the feild not the stands.

344Johnson
July 7th, 2012, 08:17 PM
The entire thread is about the turf. Do you read English?

What in the h___ are you talking about?????????? Homefield advantage??? Sellouts????

When did I say peep about either of those?

Frickin' halfwits.....

If the thread is about turf then what are you complaining about? We got some of the best turf available. Shouldn't you just be happy for once?

MplsBison
July 8th, 2012, 03:15 PM
If the thread is about turf then what are you complaining about? We got some of the best turf available. Shouldn't you just be happy for once?

Read the thread, kid. It's there in crystal clear, correct explanations.

Ain't gunna spoon it to your drooling mouth.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 8th, 2012, 04:01 PM

http://us6.memecdn.com/They-see-me-trollin_c_83172.jpg

344Johnson
July 8th, 2012, 04:38 PM

Well maybe you should summarize your opinion on the Fargodome getting new turf. For everyone's convenience.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 8th, 2012, 05:31 PM
You are related to lakes, aren't you?

Only you two dip___ are stupid enough to imply that not attending a minimum number of games (or in lakes' case, not meeting a minimum number of bisonvillers at tailgating) means you're not a real NDSU fan.

Congrats on insulting thousands of NDSU alumni and passionate fans who simply aren't able to attend games for one reason or another.

Disgusting.

And I absolutely was at tailgating for the NDSU-Minnesota game last fall at the state fairgrounds as well as attending the game.

lakes is definitely more entertaining than you are.

The only thing you relish in is to keep spitting out your salvos of nothing. To continue to make arguments that continually make no sense.

I never implied anything that you said. Whatever, you made your one Bison game....who cares!

The only thing insulting is your continued posting.....xlolxxlolx

clenz
July 8th, 2012, 05:32 PM
At least MPLS using real sentances AND nOt RandOM CAp loCkS

MplsBison
July 8th, 2012, 05:49 PM
lakes is definitely more entertaining than you are.

The only thing you relish in is to keep spitting out your salvos of nothing. To continue to make arguments that continually make no sense.

I never implied anything that you said. Whatever, you made your one Bison game....who cares!

The only thing insulting is your continued posting.....xlolxxlolx

You absolutely did imply that not attending games means you can't be an NDSU fan.

If that is not what you believe, then affirm it now.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 8th, 2012, 05:54 PM
You absolutely did imply that not attending games means you can't be an NDSU fan.

If that is not what you believe, then affirm it now.

Real Bison fans got tickets to the NC game instead of crying about how unfair the system was.

MplsBison
July 8th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Real Bison fans got tickets to the NC game instead of crying about how unfair the system was.

I have every right to complain about it. That has nothing to do with being a fan or not.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 8th, 2012, 06:07 PM
I have every right to complain about it. That has nothing to do with being a fan or not.

Believe me, everybody is fully aware of your right to complain about everything. You exercise it quite well.

344Johnson
July 8th, 2012, 06:49 PM

You spend more time complaining than you do enjoying things.

clenz
July 8th, 2012, 06:54 PM

I'm going to assume it went something like this

1. Season ticket holders who are also donation club members (whatever it's called at NDSU)...ordered by length and donation level

2. Season ticket holders who weren't donation members

3. Donation members

4. General public

I'm going to assume 2 and 3 could be switched, but at UNI season ticket holders come before doners who don't have season tickets.

I'm also going to assume that MPLS falls under the general public category...and that very few, if any, general public people got tickets.

Just like everyother school has it set up?

NoDak 4 Ever
July 8th, 2012, 07:00 PM

1. Season ticket holders who are also donation club members (whatever it's called at NDSU)...ordered by length and donation level

3. Donation members

4. General public

I'm going to assume 2 and 3 could be switched, but at UNI season ticket holders come before doners who don't have season tickets.

I'm also going to assume that MPLS falls under the general public category...and that very few, if any, general public people got tickets.

This is EXACTLY how it went for us.

Midway through the 4th quarter my friend who is at the GSU game texts me "Buy?"

1 second later I say "YES"

As he is walking out of the dome, he confirms with his wife who buys the tickets on NCAA.com.

2 weeks later, I drive from Ohio to Texas and watch the game.

Fortune favors the bold.

clenz
July 8th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Odd....That is EXACTLY how it is FOR EVERY SCHOOL in every sport

NoDak 4 Ever
July 8th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Odd....That is EXACTLY how it is FOR EVERY SCHOOL in every sport

Totally unfair.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bFvnKKINDHs/To-Ui4By_bI/AAAAAAAAJjA/ep_u9M2gtTM/s1600/Crying%2BBaby%2BNatural%2BHigh%2Bfor%2BSome%2BMoms .jpg

darell1976
July 8th, 2012, 10:29 PM

That just got easier with a new paved parking lot on the west side of the dome right next to the Candlewood Suites.

clenz
July 8th, 2012, 11:06 PM
I parked right on the NE side. It was a pay to park...only like 5 bucks I think....but extremely close to the venue and very quick to get out.

Parked basically where the red arrow is
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/FargodomeNDBingMaps.png

344Johnson
July 8th, 2012, 11:25 PM
I parked right on the NE side. It was a pay to park...only like 5 bucks I think....but extremely close to the venue and very quick to get out.

Parked basically where the red arrow is
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/FargodomeNDBingMaps.png

If you can get onto 19th Ave., things are simple. If you go out on the south side.....if people stayed the whole game especially, it can be a bit of a wait. I am happy. I live a couple blocks away.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 9th, 2012, 07:56 AM
If you can get onto 19th Ave., things are simple. If you go out on the south side.....if people stayed the whole game especially, it can be a bit of a wait. I am happy. I live a couple blocks away.

The last years we were in Fargo, my wife was in grad school and we lived at the new Bison Court. That was a pretty easy jaunt to the dome.

darell1976
July 9th, 2012, 08:32 AM
The last years we were in Fargo, my wife was in grad school and we lived at the new Bison Court. That was a pretty easy jaunt to the dome.

Thats the nicest thing about living in North Fargo. (I only live 8 blocks from the dome).

MplsBison
July 9th, 2012, 08:59 AM

3. Donation members

4. General public

My gripe had absolutely nothing to do with anything you just said.

Swing and a miss.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 9th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Thats the nicest thing about living in North Fargo. (I only live 8 blocks from the dome).

I have a question for you and it is not smack.

You live in Fargo and live close to NDSU and I think you have said that you never went to UND to school. Then why are you a UND fan?.....esp when you live in Fargo....xconfusedx

NoDak 4 Ever
July 9th, 2012, 06:16 PM

You live in Fargo and live close to NDSU and I think you have said that you never went to UND to school. Then why are you a UND fan?.....esp when you live in Fargo....xconfusedx

I'll help.

He's from GF.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 9th, 2012, 06:22 PM
My gripe had absolutely nothing to do with anything you just said.

Swing and a miss.

You know what mpls, it seems like you like to bitch about NDSU just to bitch. You have complained about the FD and the BSA. The FD is one of the top college football venues in the country and the remodeled BSA will look very nice when it is completed. IMO, they should have made the BSA bigger but at least it is getting done.

If you did alittle less complaining you would probably not get so much crap on message boards.....but maybe that is what you want.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 9th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I'll help.

He's from GF.

OK...didn't know that. Thanks

clenz
July 9th, 2012, 06:46 PM

You live in Fargo and live close to NDSU and I think you have said that you never went to UND to school. Then why are you a UND fan?.....esp when you live in Fargo....xconfusedxI'm from Iowa...never been to Michigan...and I'm a Michigan fan. I cheer for a bomb on the 50 yard line/mid court at every Iowa/Iowa State game.

I'm also a Clipper fan (have been my whole life)
I'm also a Red Wing fan
I've been to only 1 viking game in my life....
I've been to only 3 Twins games in my life.

You don't have to go to games/be from there to be a "fan"....

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 9th, 2012, 07:31 PM
I'm from Iowa...never been to Michigan...and I'm a Michigan fan.

I'm also a Red Wing fan

Of course, I'm a Steelers fan. I was asking because I thought he grew up in Fargo.

MplsBison
July 10th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I'm from Iowa...never been to Michigan...and I'm a Michigan fan. I cheer for a bomb on the 50 yard line/mid court at every Iowa/Iowa State game.

I'm also a Red Wing fan

Did you catch the last sentence here, Bison in Fertile?

So maybe now you can admit you were wrong to imply that.

TheBisonator
July 10th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Of course, I'm a Steelers fan. I was asking because I thought he grew up in Fargo.

I'm a Jets fan, though I never lived in Winnipeg...