PDA

View Full Version : FARGODOME $3MILLION DOLLAR TURF INSTALLATION BEGINS!

BisonHype!
June 5th, 2012, 12:12 PM
In 88 days the Bison will be playing on a new turf! WooHoo!xthumbsupx

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/64629/

chattownmocs
June 5th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I'm assuming they used this company near Chattanooga

http://www.astroturfusa.com/Default.aspx

The product is absolutely top of the line and is completely taking over the industry. The only problem is that it doesn't usually cost anywhere near 3 million dollars.

MplsBison
June 5th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Weird how no other major dome in the friggin' country has to go to the hassle and expense of installing their surface on a mechanical rolling pin. What a stupid, pathetic joke.

Screw the floating end-zone stands design. Should've just laid down a permanent surface years ago and said to heck with it. Seats on 3 sides is good enough! Or assembly smaller, modular stands on the 4th side for bball, etc.

MplsBison
June 5th, 2012, 12:18 PM

The only problem is that it doesn't usually cost anywhere near 3 million dollars.

That's because everyone just lays the turf down permanently and then puts down a temporary flooring on top of it for other events.

Fargodome wants to keep their stupid, insane "floating stands" design. So this turf has to be able to roll up on a giant rolling pin that can then be stuffed into the floor. That's how the current "Magic carpet" turf works, one the worst surfaces to play on in the history of astro turf.

BisonHype!
June 5th, 2012, 12:24 PM

The product is absolutely top of the line and is completely taking over the industry. The only problem is that it doesn't usually cost anywhere near 3 million dollars.

Not sure. The video says it is the same turf that the St. Louis Rams play on.xthumbsupxxhighfivex

Go Bison
June 5th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Not sure. The video says it is the same turf that the St. Louis Rams play on.xthumbsupxxhighfivex

At the bottom of the website it has all the sports teams that use this type of turf. It has both the St. Louis Rams and NDSU on there.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 5th, 2012, 01:09 PM
At the bottom of the website it has all the sports teams that use this type of turf. It has both the St. Louis Rams and NDSU on there.

The old turf was also Astroturf so they have been there for a while.

chattownmocs
June 5th, 2012, 01:15 PM

The new stuff is so much better than the old stuff they used to use though. They had a major upgrade in their product about 2 or 3 years ago.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 5th, 2012, 01:20 PM
The new stuff is so much better than the old stuff they used to use though. They had a major upgrade in their product about 2 or 3 years ago.

Oh, I don't know. I think it worked pretty well on Chris Lum. :)

MplsBison
June 5th, 2012, 01:21 PM
That is true, as much as I hate it. The turf at the Dome physically hurt other teams who weren't used to playing on it. Cut them up, beat them up, twisted countless ankles and knees. Etc.

Go Bison
June 5th, 2012, 01:26 PM

It says AstroTurf GameDay Grass 3D just like it does for the St. Louis Rams.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 5th, 2012, 01:27 PM
It says AstroTurf GameDay Grass 3D just like it does for the St. Louis Rams.

Ah, I thought you were referring to the rolling logos at the bottom.

chattownmocs
June 5th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Oh, I don't know. I think it worked pretty well on Chris Lum. :)

I bet your players will rave about the difference. How much do you want to bet? The other team only has to play on it once. Your team has to play on it every other week.

The can actually pull it out whenever they want. That is pretty cool. No wonder it costs more than usual.

BisonHype!
June 5th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I think the new turf will help to cut down on injuries as well.

chattownmocs
June 5th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Here is a press release from the company.

http://www.astroturfusa.com/Press-Releases.aspx?id=425

"The magic carpet" trademark of course. This will now be the new name of North Dakota states field henceforth.

BisonHype!
June 5th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Here is a press release from the company.

http://www.astroturfusa.com/Press-Releases.aspx?id=425

"The magic carpet" trademark of course. This will now be the new name of North Dakota's field henceforth.

Thats a good link! I like that you can see the other teams that use their products too. Thanks!

JSUBison
June 5th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I see WDAY is using the new **** logo's.

frozennorth
June 5th, 2012, 02:39 PM
I bet your players will rave about the difference. How much do you want to bet? The other team only has to play on it once. Your team has to play on it every other week.

The can actually pull it out whenever they want. That is pretty cool. No wonder it costs more than usual.
the fargodome turf is a underrated cause of ndsu's decline in the 90's. I read somewhere that on the first play of the first game in the dome, the star running back went down for the season. pretty much became the status quo.

BEAR
June 5th, 2012, 02:45 PM
But will it be striped? xeyebrowx

NoDak 4 Ever
June 5th, 2012, 02:53 PM

No, nor will it be a color other than green. NDSU can draw attention to itself on the field, not because of it.

TheRevSFA
June 5th, 2012, 02:54 PM

Not everyone's field needs to look like curtains at a holiday inn...

BEAR
June 5th, 2012, 03:08 PM
You guys suck at sarcasm. xlolx

BisonHype!
June 5th, 2012, 03:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwPLQ43JVYU

BEAR
June 5th, 2012, 03:23 PM

1. You scored 2 field goals on the curtain until the 4th quarter when our freshmen defense came in. They needed the practice.
2. Undefeated on the curtain.
3. Not everyone likes the curtain...me included. But whatever floats the boat of the ones who paid for it. You'll notice bigger programs rely on big donors to fund their programs and sometimes those donors have "requirements" to get that money. Sux for us but as you saw it didn't effect the product ON the field.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 5th, 2012, 03:26 PM
You guys suck at sarcasm. xlolx

But we excel at seizing on cheap-shot opportunities. UCA brought it on themselves.

BEAR
June 5th, 2012, 03:35 PM
But we excel at seizing on cheap-shot opportunities. UCA brought it on themselves.

You mean like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFojfG31enA

aces1180
June 5th, 2012, 03:46 PM
the fargodome turf is a underrated cause of ndsu's decline in the 90's. I read somewhere that on the first play of the first game in the dome, the star running back went down for the season. pretty much became the status quo.

They first turf that was installed in 1993 was used and came from TCU. It was zippered together in sections and had a seam every 5 or 10 yards. It was nasty. The soon to be replaced turf was seamless, but still hard as a rock.

You are close about the injury. It was the first game in the dome, but it was NDSU's stud QB Arden Beechy and he tore up his knee and ended his career.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 5th, 2012, 03:49 PM
They first turf that was installed in 1993 was used and came from TCU. It was zippered together in sections and had a seam every 5 or 10 yards. It was nasty. The soon to be replaced turf was seamless, but still hard as a rock.

You are close about the injury. It was the first game in the dome, but it was NDSU's stud QB Arden Beechy and he tore up his knee and ended his career.

Dr. Arden Beachy, MD managed to do ok. :)

LakesBison
June 5th, 2012, 03:50 PM
ACES what are you voting?

Sammy94
June 5th, 2012, 04:08 PM

Until Sept. :D

BEAR
June 5th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Until Sept. :D

xnodx xsalutex

Sammy94
June 5th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Bacone has a nice squad. xlmaox

darell1976
June 5th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Is this the first turf replacement for the dome?

NoDak 4 Ever
June 5th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Is this the first turf replacement for the dome?

They've had at least 2, near as I can remember. I think they got the old Metrodome turf when they went to the new stuff.

AmsterBison
June 5th, 2012, 07:54 PM

Beachy would have had his season ended on any surface though. A defensive lineman slammed directly onto his plant leg as he was throwing a bomb.

Seems like more Bison players get knee injuries on the FieldTurf practice field than on the FargoDome turf - but one thing for sure is that the players' bodies will take less of a beating on this new stuff.

MplsBison
June 5th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Beachy would have had his season ended on any surface though. A defensive lineman slammed directly onto his plant leg as he was throwing a bomb.

Seems like more Bison players get knee injuries on the FieldTurf practice field than on the FargoDome turf - but one thing for sure is that the players' bodies will take less of a beating on this new stuff.

Highly doubtful.

Take number of hours spent on each turf into account, plus what is being done (full contact tackling or walkthrough), etc.

The current magic carpet was a ankle and knee shredder and it's too bad that Fargodome management chose to wait to replace it.

TheRevSFA
June 5th, 2012, 09:20 PM
1. You scored 2 field goals on the curtain until the 4th quarter when our freshmen defense came in. They needed the practice.
3. Not everyone likes the curtain...me included. But whatever floats the boat of the ones who paid for it. You'll notice bigger programs rely on big donors to fund their programs and sometimes those donors have "requirements" to get that money. Sux for us but as you saw it didn't effect the product ON the field.

You should be undefeated. That **** hurt my eyes when watching uca vs mcneese on TV. I can't imagine how visiting teams feel on it

BisonHype!
June 6th, 2012, 08:11 AM
You mean like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFojfG31enA

Wow... That is embarrassing. It is like the person taking this video knew it was coming. haha.

aces1180
June 6th, 2012, 09:51 AM

Well, if I lived in ND, I would vote no...However, I have convinced at least 10 family members and friends to be my voice. ;)

aces1180
June 6th, 2012, 09:58 AM

True dat...His career was over because of the hit, not the turf. That first surface was crap though. Injuries are going to happen on any field, regardless if it is natural grass or artificial.

MplsBison
June 6th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Well, if I lived in ND, I would vote no...However, I have convinced at least 10 family members and friends to be my voice. ;)

I can't believe people actually think they can purposefully harm UND by voting no on this issue. Unbelievably selfish, at any rate.

Karma would dictate that if the no's win because of people trying to harm UND, then UND will be kicked out of the Big Sky....and end up joining the Summit and MVFC. I hope to whatever god you believe in that it happens, so I can rub it forcefully in your face. Smear it, all over. Then point and laugh at you.

Bison06
June 6th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I can't believe people actually think they can purposefully harm UND by voting no on this issue. Unbelievably selfish, at any rate.

Karma would dictate that if the no's win because of people trying to harm UND, then UND will be kicked out of the Big Sky....and end up joining the Summit and MVFC. I hope to whatever god you believe in that it happens, so I can rub it forcefully in your face. Smear it, all over. Then point and laugh at you.

What if someone votes no simply because they think that UND should keep the name?

clenz
June 6th, 2012, 10:49 AM
What if someone votes no simply because they think that UND should keep the name?

Chances of NDSU fans doing it for that reason, and not to further harm/degrade UND?

Bison06
June 6th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Chances of NDSU fans doing it for that reason, and not to further harm/degrade UND?

Hard to say, what I do know is there are plenty of people in ND that will be voting no and it isn't because they are trying to harm UND. They just don't think that UND should have to change the name.

BEAR
June 6th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Back to the field turf...how long does field turf last?

MplsBison
June 6th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Hard to say, what I do know is there are plenty of people in ND that will be voting no and it isn't because they are trying to harm UND. They just don't think that UND should have to change the name.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/363164/group/Sports/

Only people voting no fall into two bins:

a) hardest of the hardcore UND fans who still think the Sioux nickname can be 'won' from the NCAA
b) people who think voting no will harm UND in some way

Bison06
June 6th, 2012, 11:38 AM

a) hardest of the hardcore UND fans who still think the Sioux nickname can be 'won' from the NCAA

Disagree, and that article doesn't support anything you just said so what was the purpose?

There is a group of people who will vote no because they think it is wrong that UND has to change the name in the first place and don't care what the consequences are. They are taking a stand against the NCAA.

MplsBison
June 6th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Disagree, and that article doesn't support anything you just said so what was the purpose?

There is a group of people who will vote no because they think it is wrong that UND has to change the name in the first place and don't care what the consequences are. They are taking a stand against the NCAA.

Nope. You're just trying to create a false category to provide a reasonable doubt cover for those NDSU fans who are trying to harm UND. I see right through it, paper thin.

No reasonable person sees the nickname as worth keeping, as is demonstrated by the article.

BisonBacker
June 6th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Nope. You're just trying to create a false category to provide a reasonable doubt cover for those NDSU fans who are trying to harm UND. I see right through it, paper thin.

No reasonable person sees the nickname as worth keeping, as is demonstrated by the article.

What the He!! does this have to do with the turf in the dome? Knock this shat off or take it to an PM's or an appropriate thread. God this crap gets old.

aces1180
June 6th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Back to the field turf...how long does field turf last?

8-10 years is the expected life.

aces1180
June 6th, 2012, 12:26 PM

http://jpd.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451cd8169e20167666aad3e970b-320wi

MplsBison
June 6th, 2012, 12:45 PM
What the He!! does this have to do with the turf in the dome? Knock this shat off or take it to an PM's or an appropriate thread. God this crap gets old.

xblahx

MplsBison
June 6th, 2012, 12:46 PM
(some dumb picture)

Just remember, you reap what you sow.

You are enabling UND to be kicked out of the Big Sky and joining the Summit and MVFC! Win-win-win!!

Bison06
June 6th, 2012, 02:09 PM

You made up the first two categories, you really are an idiotxsmileyclapx

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 6th, 2012, 04:05 PM

You are enabling UND to be kicked out of the Big Sky and joining the Summit and MVFC! Win-win-win!!

Why don't you take a break from this board for the rest of the summer.

Reading your posts is painful.

Bison06
June 6th, 2012, 04:39 PM

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/363301/

Man I really hate those NDSU fans that just want to hurt UND.xrolleyesx

MplsBison
June 6th, 2012, 08:24 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/363301/

Man I really hate those NDSU fans that just want to hurt UND.xrolleyesx

Then why are you one?

The people in your article are patently group a.

darell1976
June 6th, 2012, 08:44 PM

As a UND fan there is no way we will be joining the MVFC if our name is kept. Remember the Summit was the ones who didn't want its members playing UND until the nickname issue was put to rest (IMO meaning retired). If the name is kept it will be a matter of time before our football, basketball, and probably our athletics just slowly melts away. Just an off question mostly for the NDSU fans....is the parking lot between the dome and the Candlewood Suites that they are working on going to be part of the Fargodome parking or is it part of the hotel?

BisonFan02
June 6th, 2012, 10:59 PM
As a UND fan there is no way we will be joining the MVFC if our name is kept. Remember the Summit was the ones who didn't want its members playing UND until the nickname issue was put to rest (IMO meaning retired). If the name is kept it will be a matter of time before our football, basketball, and probably our athletics just slowly melts away. Just an off question mostly for the NDSU fans....is the parking lot between the dome and the Candlewood Suites that they are working on going to be part of the Fargodome parking or is it part of the hotel?

Fargodome parking....updated tailgating lot instead of the grass.

LakesBison
June 6th, 2012, 11:57 PM
HAHAHA~ Aces i have 100+ recruited. you need to step it up

ALPHAGRIZ1
June 7th, 2012, 01:00 AM
Has anybody else seen what is going on with the Missoulian and eGriz?

Man talk about a mess over there with the newspaper and the reporter with an axe to grind. You guys really should check it out and post something on that topic since you are not doing anything else right now.

BisonFan02
June 7th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Has anybody else seen what is going on with the Missoulian and eGriz?

Man talk about a mess over there with the newspaper and the reporter with an axe to grind. You guys really should check it out and post something on that topic since you are not doing anything else right now.

xchinscratchx

NoDak 4 Ever
June 7th, 2012, 07:56 AM
xchinscratchx

It's ok. He's afraid there won't be enough misogyny on the board if he doesn't have a chance to vomit all over it once in a while.

darell1976
June 7th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Fargodome parking....updated tailgating lot instead of the grass.

Thanks....they needed more parking for the dome, and I don't think using the US Bank parking lot was going to cut it.

Bison06
June 7th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Then why are you one?

The people in your article are patently group a.

1. IF I had a vote I would be voting yes.
2. No they are not all in group a. There are plenty of people who will vote no simply because they feel the NCAA is overstepping their boundaries. They want to keep the name because they don't want to give in to a group that they don't feel should be able to tell them what their nickname should be. They are well aware of the consequences and are willing to handle them if it means not giving in to the corrupt NCAA.

LakesBison
June 7th, 2012, 10:37 AM
my gawd, this is TURF discussion.

BisonHype!
June 7th, 2012, 11:14 AM

I have to agree. (SAY WHAT!?!?!!?!)xdontknowx

NoDak 4 Ever
June 7th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I have to agree. (SAY WHAT!?!?!!?!)xdontknowx

To be fair, how much discussion CAN you have about turf?

BisonHype!
June 7th, 2012, 11:19 AM
To be fair, how much discussion CAN you have about turf?

Just agreeing that "VOTE OR DIE" discussion may be a topic that should be in a seperate post is all.

MplsBison
June 7th, 2012, 12:31 PM

HAHAHA~ Aces i have 100+ recruited. you need to step it up

Don't you have more state legislators to threaten using your work's computers? I'm sure the ND state police have plenty of time to drag you out of your work and sit you back down in your 'time out chair' (back of a patrol car) again.

MplsBison
June 7th, 2012, 12:34 PM
1. IF I had a vote I would be voting yes.
2. No they are not all in group a. There are plenty of people who will vote no simply because they feel the NCAA is overstepping their boundaries. They want to keep the name because they don't want to give in to a group that they don't feel should be able to tell them what their nickname should be. They are well aware of the consequences and are willing to handle them if it means not giving in to the corrupt NCAA.

There is no such thing as "vote no simply because they feel the NCAA is overstepping their boundaries."

Everyone knows that the NCAA can not be stopped by any kind of state law. You know it, your grandmother knows it. Stop trolling.

BisonBacker
June 7th, 2012, 01:43 PM
There is no such thing as "vote no simply because they feel the NCAA is overstepping their boundaries."

Everyone knows that the NCAA can not be stopped by any kind of state law. You know it, your grandmother knows it. Stop trolling.xbangxxbangx SAYS THE TROLLMASTER

Professor Chaos
June 7th, 2012, 02:00 PM

Everyone knows that the NCAA can not be stopped by any kind of state law. You know it, your grandmother knows it. Stop trolling.
It must be soothing to live in a bubble of ignorance where you know what everyone else's motives are and what their motives should be for the decisions they make. Just like you knew that Joe Blow in Biloxi Mississippi considers Idaho to be more "significant" than any FCS school, you also know that the 20,000+ signatures collected by pro-nickname lobbyists in support of another measure in November's general election on this matter are all Bison fans looking to stick it to UND.

Unfortunately, for those of us in touch with reality we know that there is no black and white explanation regarding who will vote yes and who will vote no on Measure 4. Some will do it with the perception that it harms UND, many more will do it out of stubbornness because they percieve the NCAA to be tyrants who are overstepping the bounds of their jurisdiction. Right or wrong, those people are about as likely to be convinced that they're wrong about that as you are that you're wrong about this.

Bison06
June 7th, 2012, 02:19 PM

Who said anything about trying to change what the NCAA is able to do? I vote for the president and every other public officer every four years knowing full well that my single vote has absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of the election. People vote because of their beliefs not on their vote's ability to make any real change.

What could possibly lead you to believe there isn't anyone out there who is against an organization having this much control over the Universities in our country. Hell, I am not even a Sioux fan and it pisses me off to the point of actual anger that they have to change their name because of some PC bull****. It is a sign of the times and I know there are people who feel the same way and will voice that opinion on the ballot, simply because they feel keeping the name is what should be happening.

NDSUstudent
September 5th, 2012, 03:30 PM
YAY new, new turf to be installed! Undefeated on the old new turf.

NDSUstudent
September 5th, 2012, 03:44 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/373305/

MplsBison
September 5th, 2012, 07:44 PM
This type of turf is not meant to be rolled up.

They jerry-rigged a system to meet the impossible demands of the Fargodome management system. I hope it bites them in the a___ so hard.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2012, 08:21 PM

They jerry-rigged a system to meet the impossible demands of the Fargodome management system. I hope it bites them in the a___ so hard.

You are so full of sh**......'jerry-rigged' my a**.

The company spent weeks getting the turf ready for the upcoming season. WTF....get a frickin clue. It will not cost NDSU or taxpayers a cent. Good to get the problem taken care of.

FargoBison
September 5th, 2012, 08:44 PM

Jerry-rigged? An NFL team uses this same system....

MplsBison
September 6th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Jerry-rigged? An NFL team uses this same system....

Uses the same turf.

No NFL stadium that I'm aware of rolls up new style turf into a single, giant roll and shoves it in a pit in the floor, with infill falling out. That is something only the manager of the Fargdome would demand, just so he could have his stupid detachable bleacher that floats across the concrete floor. Oooo...ahhhh....so pretty, what an awesome design.....the one or two times they use it per year.

If it's any consolation to you, UND installed the exact same system. So whatever problems the Fargodome installation has, the Alerus center is sure to have as well. Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't just send the crews right up to Grand Forks for the same repair once they're done in Fargo.

MplsBison
September 6th, 2012, 12:09 PM
You are so full of sh**......'jerry-rigged' my a**.

The company spent weeks getting the turf ready for the upcoming season. WTF....get a frickin clue. It will not cost NDSU or taxpayers a cent. Good to get the problem taken care of.

Please provide us a clue. You're obviously an expert.

gotts
September 6th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Uses the same turf.

No NFL stadium that I'm aware of rolls up new style turf into a single, giant roll and shoves it in a pit in the floor, with infill falling out. That is something only the manager of the Fargdome would demand, just so he could have his stupid detachable bleacher that floats across the concrete floor. Oooo...ahhhh....so pretty, what an awesome design.....the one or two times they use it per year.

If it's any consolation to you, UND installed the exact same system. So whatever problems the Fargodome installation has, the Alerus center is sure to have as well. Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't just send the crews right up to Grand Forks for the same repair once they're done in Fargo.

I should know better, but...

When can we expect you to apply for a position that will allow you to make decisions on all things related to NDSU?

MplsBison
September 6th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I should know better, but...

When can we expect you to apply for a position that will allow you to make decisions on all things related to NDSU?

Why am I not allowed to complain on AGS?

If you don't like it then don't post in the thread. Jerkoff.

gotts
September 6th, 2012, 12:25 PM

If you don't like it then go ____ yourself and don't post in the thread. Jerkoff.

Midol's in the mail.

EDIT: nice quote edit, too bad I quoted you before you changed it, Sally

NoDak 4 Ever
September 6th, 2012, 12:33 PM

If you don't like it then don't post in the thread. Jerkoff.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/24496406.jpg

MplsBison
September 6th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I edited it immediately after I posted. That can be checked by the mod.

I thought better of it, you must've quoted in a 30 sec window - good for you.

MplsBison
September 6th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks for answering the question, by the way.

Why do you feel the need to complain about me complaining? Just to boost your post count?

Seriously. I'm trying to get inside the mind of the average AGS poster. Find out why they do such unexplainable, weird things.

MplsBison
September 6th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Read the Forum articles today.

Astroturf screwed it up so bad that they're ripping out the entire turf from the Fargodome!! They're going to sell it to someone else as a permanent install (the way these turfs are supposed to be installed), in fact NDSU is trying to see if they can buy it for another outdoor turf field.

They're replacing the turf compeltely with new from scratch, for free.

I have little doubt that the same failure is going to occur again. These turfs are not supposed to be rolled up on one giant roll and shoved into a pit. It's not going to work and Fargodome management screwed up big time trying to force that requirement. Astroturf thought they could make it work, clearly it didn't.

The only reasonable answer is that they're going to have to do a permanent install on the Fargodome floor and then lay temporary flooring over it for other events. Too bad, so sad. Frickin' live with it. That's how everyone else does it.

BisonBacker
September 6th, 2012, 01:18 PM
The best feature of the board the ignore function.

moosbah
September 6th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Read the Forum articles today.

Astroturf screwed it up so bad that they're ripping out the entire turf from the Fargodome!! They're going to sell it to someone else as a permanent install (the way these turfs are supposed to be installed), in fact NDSU is trying to see if they can buy it for another outdoor turf field.

They're replacing the turf compeltely with new from scratch, for free.

I have little doubt that the same failure is going to occur again. These turfs are not supposed to be rolled up on one giant roll and shoved into a pit. It's not going to work and Fargodome management screwed up big time trying to force that requirement. Astroturf thought they could make it work, clearly it didn't.

The only reasonable answer is that they're going to have to do a permanent install on the Fargodome floor and then lay temporary flooring over it for other events. Too bad, so sad. Frickin' live with it. That's how everyone else does it.

It's great that you have your opinion, but unless you are a representative from AstroTurf, I don't think your expertise on the turf is that expert.

darell1976
September 6th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Uses the same turf.

Hopefully after the Portland State game this Saturday they inspect it, because if it has to be removed UND's next game isn't until Sept. 29th vs Cal Poly. So they would have 3 weeks to redo it if needed.

Vitojr130
September 6th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Uses the same turf.

Let me ask you this:
WHO CARES!? AstroTurf is replacing it for free because the original was not up to specs. They said it would work and things didn't go to plan, so they are righting their mistake. Why make the management of the Fargodome sound bad because they awarded AstroTurf the bid for the new field because AstroTurf said they could do it?

Say you want to build a house and the construction company builds it north-south facing as opposed to east-west like is stated in the contract. You would expect either 1 or 2 things:
1) They tear it down and build it right.
2) You get a lot of money because they screwed up.

Or, do you expect all your friends and neighbors to sit there and chastise you because you were to particular when telling the company what you wanted...?

MplsBison
September 6th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Fargodome management is to blame for refusing to install new turf the way it should be installed, as a laid flat, permanent install. They refused to do anything until they could have exactly what they had before with the old, garbage "Magic Carpet" system.

Well, now it didn't work and I won't be surprised if the fix breaks too. So after they figure out that they'll have to do a permanent install it should be squarely on the Fargodome's shoulders to pay for and heads may have to roll for the blunder.

clenz
September 6th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Amazing...UNI rolls their turf up without issues - why can't NDSU figure it out?

bisonguy
September 6th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Amazing...UNI rolls their turf up without issues - why can't NDSU figure it out?

Say what? - UNIdome turf machine broken (http://www.wgem.com/story/16908965/uni-softball-team-to-change-venues-for-tournament)

The machine used to put down the turf in the UNI-dome broke. As a result the turf was unable to be laid down..........

Pyroshane
September 6th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Uses the same turf.

They don't just use the same turf, they also, as everyone keeps pointing out, use the same system (http://www.stlouisrams.com/edward-jones-dome/interesting-facts.html).

Vitojr130
September 6th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Fargodome management is to blame for refusing to install new turf the way it should be installed, as a laid flat, permanent install. They refused to do anything until they could have exactly what they had before with the old, garbage "Magic Carpet" system.

Well, now it didn't work and I won't be surprised if the fix breaks too. So after they figure out that they'll have to do a permanent install it should be squarely on the Fargodome's shoulders to pay for and heads may have to roll for the blunder.

If AstroTurf says they can make the GameDay 3D turf able to roll up into the pit, then it is on them and not the Fargodome's management. If AstroTurf can't deliver on what they promised to do, then I would expect them to refuse to pay. I would hate the Fargodome's management if they decided to make a permanent install. Concert's at the Venue get a little crowded...

darell1976
September 7th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Say what? - UNIdome turf machine broken (http://www.wgem.com/story/16908965/uni-softball-team-to-change-venues-for-tournament)

xlolxxlolxxlolx

Professor Chaos
September 7th, 2012, 10:47 AM
They don't just use the same turf, they also, as everyone keeps pointing out, use the same system (http://www.stlouisrams.com/edward-jones-dome/interesting-facts.html).
xlolx

I can't wait to hear how Mpls tries to dodge this one.

UNDColorado
September 7th, 2012, 10:57 AM
So what exactly is wrong with the turf? It certainly looked great once it was installed. I apologize if this has been repeated or already answered.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 7th, 2012, 10:58 AM
xlolx

I can't wait to hear how Mpls tries to dodge this one.

Not NFL but Idaho Sate also uses a roll up turf.

Vitojr130
September 7th, 2012, 11:18 AM
So what exactly is wrong with the turf? It certainly looked great once it was installed. I apologize if this has been repeated or already answered.

It sounded to me as if the underside that holds in the infill when it's rolled up tore a bit, allowing a higher than normal amount of infill to leak.

UNIFanSince1983
September 7th, 2012, 12:02 PM

From what I have gathered they roll theirs into one huge roll, where as we roll ours into smaller sections 10 yards at a time.

Yeah because equipment never breaks anywhere else...

MplsBison
September 7th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Not NFL but Idaho Sate also uses a roll up turf.

As far as I know, ID St, NAU and UNI all have the turf that rolls up in sections. Not anything close to the entire field rolling up on one giant roll.

Neither are particularly ideal. They're both work arounds and jerry rigs for systems that were designed to work with the old style turfs (the ones that rip off skin and shred knees and ankles). Like the Magic Carpet system.

The only true, correct way to install new style turf is to lay it down on a bed of rock (outdoors) or on a concrete floor (indoors) and leave it there! Many, many, many venues do this just fine and still host other events by laying down temp flooring on top of the turf.

MplsBison
September 7th, 2012, 12:37 PM

Yeah note how it simply says "Astroturf".

These facts are talking about when the dome opened. I have no doubt that at one time it had the same old-style turf Magic Carpet system that the Fargodome was still using until last year.

Now a days the Ed Jones dome has new style turf and I do not believe it is rolled up, just left out with temp flooring.

As far as I know, the Fargodome (and now the Alerus) are the first facilities in the world to attempt jerry rigging the old Magic Carpet design for new-style turf.

Pyroshane
September 7th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Yeah note how it simply says "Astroturf".

These facts are talking about when the dome opened. I have no doubt that at one time it had the same old-style turf Magic Carpet system that the Fargodome was still using until last year.

Now a days the Ed Jones dome has new style turf and I do not believe it is rolled up, just left out with temp flooring.

As far as I know, the Fargodome (and now the Alerus) are the first facilities in the world to attempt jerry rigging the old Magic Carpet design for new-style turf.

St. Louis Rams

Edward Jones Dome
St. Louis, MO
Magic Carpet™ II Conversion System
featuring AstroTurf® GameDay Grass™ 3D
98,200 sq. ft.
Installled in 2010

“This highly engineered AstroTurf® Magic Carpet™ II Conversion System gives us a more cost effective way to convert the Edward Jones Dome from a football facility to a convention facility,” said Nick Langella, Senior Vice President and General Manager of the America’s Center Convention Complex. “A convertible field is designed to be removed and stored away when not in use, which allows us the opportunity to produce conventions, trade shows and other economically important activities to take place in the Dome during football season.”

LINK (http://www.astroturfusa.com/Football.aspx)

AstroTurf®, the iconic synthetic turf brand, has been selected to install a new sports surface at the Edward Jones Dome for the 2010 St. Louis Rams football season. The decision was announced today jointly by the St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission (CVC) and the St. Louis Rams. AstroTurf’s innovative Magic Carpet™ II Conversion System, which features its GameDay™ 3D Synthetic Turf System, will be in place for the Rams’ season opener.

LINK (http://www.astroturfusa.com/In-the-News.aspx?id=144)

The sports surface installed at the Edward Jones Dome for the St. Louis Rams football season is called The Magic Carpet II™ Conversion System, which features the GameDay™ Grass 3D Synthetic Turf System.

“This turf gives us a more cost effective way to convert the Edward Jones Dome from a football facility to a convention facility,” said Nick Langella, senior vice president and general manager of the America’s Center convention complex. “A convertible field is designed to be removed and stored away when not in use, which allows us the opportunity to produce conventions, trade shows and other economically important activities to take place in the Dome during football season.”

The Magic Carpet System features more than 25,000 yards of carpet, or enough to cover 7.5 football fields. The Magic Carpet consists of five basic components: the pit, lid, drive roll machinery, air blower system, and the hydraulic winch system. Hydraulic winches pull the AstroTurf carpet out of the pit and onto the Dome floor. After use, the AstroTurf carpet is rolled up by the drive roll mechanism in the pit. The lid covering the pit is flush with the floor and can withstand 400 pounds of weight per square foot. This allows for total use of the floor by trade shows and conventions.

LINK (http://explorestlouis.com/meetings-conventions/americas-center/edward-jones-dome/astro-turf/)

The St. Louis Rams will play on a new artificial turf at the Edward Jones Dome next season thanksT to a $2.5 million investment. Half the money will come from the regional stadium authority’s preservation fund and the other half will come out of a pool of leftover money set aside for the Dome’s $30 million renovation project last year.

The team and the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission (CVC), which operates the America’s Center complex, agreed on a removable turf system that will give the CVC more flexibility to use the Dome for conventions and other events during the football season.

The new AstroTurf Magic Carpet II system can be rolled up and stored in a pit beneath the stadium floor when not in use, and then rolled out again for football games. Unlike the old roll-up AstroTurf surface the Dome featured until 4 years ago, this surface will provide improved cushioning for player safety, said Kevin Demoff, the Rams chief operating officer. It will feature the same synthetic surface the Rams have practiced on at Russell Training Center in Earth City since last year.

For the past four seasons, the CVC has spent about $300,000 a year to install a semi-permanent artificial turf that stayed in place throughout the football season. Once down, it could not be removed for other events during the football season. Other Dome users could not access the electrical outlets under the stadium floor, and it took nearly two days and a significant labor expense to cover the turf with a system of interlocking plastic panels. The Magic Carpet II, however, can be rolled up and deployed in a matter of hours.

LINK (http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stories/2010/02/15/story4.html?page=all)

Sorry. Try again.

FargoBison
September 7th, 2012, 02:13 PM

LINK (http://explorestlouis.com/meetings-conventions/americas-center/edward-jones-dome/astro-turf/)

LINK (http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stories/2010/02/15/story4.html?page=all)

Sorry. Try again.

As usual Mpls has no clue.....

clenz
September 7th, 2012, 02:16 PM

That's not a turf issue...that read a machine failure

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

clenz
September 7th, 2012, 02:21 PM
As usual Mpls has no clue.....

I can also state that I was there for the sweet 16 that uni played in and there was no turf down

MplsBison
September 7th, 2012, 02:59 PM

Sorry. Try again.

Well done. I was wrong and I admit it.

Take note AGS'ers - that's how it's done. That's the only way you can ever beat me. Not with the typical AGS way of insults and nonsequitors.

MplsBison
September 7th, 2012, 03:00 PM
That said - I have zero faith in the Magic Carpet II system. For the EJD, the Fargodome or the Alerus Center.

I see no reason that the system won't continually fail them all. This type of turf is not supposed to be rolled up on a giant roll. Just because someone can sell something doesn't mean it works!

NoDak 4 Ever
September 7th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Well done. I was wrong and I admit it.

Take note AGS'ers - that's how it's done. That's the only way you can ever beat me. Not with the typical AGS way of insults and nonsequitors.

As nobody truly cares what you think, nobody is going to try terribly hard to "beat" you. It isn't a competition. You are mostly responded to by people like myself who cannot let misinformation and bull**** go unanswered.

MplsBison
September 7th, 2012, 03:04 PM
As nobody truly cares what you think, nobody is going to try terribly hard to "beat" you. It isn't a competition. You are mostly responded to by people like myself who cannot let misinformation and bull**** go unanswered.

As I said, typical AGS way - insults and nonsequitors.

gotts
September 7th, 2012, 03:06 PM
As I said, typical AGS way - insults and nonsequitors.

I'd venture to guess it's just a typical response to a Mpls post, nothing that's exclusive to AGS, anyways.

MplsBison
September 7th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I'd venture to guess it's just a typical response to a Mpls post, nothing that's exclusive to AGS, anyways.

No, the style seems to be very inherent in the AGS posting culture.

What a dream it would be if people only posted links and facts and left out all the other garbage.

gotts
September 7th, 2012, 03:08 PM

What a dream it would be if people only posted links and facts and left out all the other garbage.

We'd really miss you posting!

NoDak 4 Ever
September 7th, 2012, 03:11 PM

Like we miss TheFan.

I really do miss him.

Professor Chaos
September 7th, 2012, 03:15 PM

You mean facts like these right?

1) All teams should play on field turf. Natural grass will never work anywhere for football.
2) The FCS National Title Game down is Frisco was pretty lame. The Papa Johns Pizza Hut Dominos Little Caesars Bowl... now that's excitement.
3) If a team in the MAC goes 13-0 they WILL be in the new 4 team playoff.
4) Rolling up Magic Carpet turf on rollers and storing it in a pit beneath the field will eventually fail miserably in every facility it's installed in.

gotts
September 7th, 2012, 03:16 PM

1) All teams should play on field turf. Natural grass will never work.
2) The FCS National Title Game down is Frisco was pretty lame. The Papa Johns Pizza Hut Dominos Little Caesars Bowl... now that's excitement.
4) Magic Carpet on the rollers will eventually fail miserably in every facility it's installed in.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4f/3_D-Box.jpg

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 7th, 2012, 06:33 PM

Since your the #1 Bison fan in the whole world, are you going to be in Ft. Collins to watch our team?

My bet is you are in GF watching your 'closet' fav team.....

MplsBison
September 7th, 2012, 06:36 PM

1) All teams should play on field turf. Natural grass will never work anywhere for football.
4) Rolling up Magic Carpet turf on rollers and storing it in a pit beneath the field will eventually fail miserably in every facility it's installed in.

You have quite an active imagination.

MplsBison
September 7th, 2012, 06:37 PM

Do you even read AGS more than once per month? 250 posts since Aug 2008??

gotts
September 7th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Do you even read AGS more than once per month? 250 posts since Aug 2008??

Thats the best you have?

Once every two months, btw.

Drblankstare
September 8th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Thats the best you have?

Not everyone feels the need to spout off stupid comments as soon as we think of them.

ndsubison
September 8th, 2012, 11:04 AM

Bob Babich was the reason for NDSU's decline in the 90's.

ndsubison
September 8th, 2012, 11:08 AM

Beachy didn't get his knee torn up by the turf in that game. I was there. He took a direct helmet-to-knee hit by a Pitt St defender. He had already released the ball and the guy still dove head first into Arden's planted knee. It looked pretty cheap to me but then again I'm not paid for my opinion. I do remember being at a game when Rob Hyland was our QB and he had an open-field run with no defenders within 10 yards and his knee all of the sudden just blew out. That looked just.......weird.

MplsBison
September 8th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Thats the best you have?

That's all you deserved. Once you actually contribute something to AGS, then we'll talk.

clenz
September 8th, 2012, 03:28 PM
When do you start to contribute something of worth

Bison06
September 8th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Bob Babich was the reason for NDSU's decline in the 90's.

You're welcome to that opinion, but the facts certainly don't support it. Not sure if Bob just wasn't a very likeable guy or what the story is, but if you look at his record coach babich is certainly not to blame for ndsu's "90's lull". Hell he wasn't even the coach until '97, were the 5 years before he showed up his fault too?