PDA

View Full Version : The Citadel BCS Schedule

BULLDOG8180
June 21st, 2006, 04:09 PM
During the next 5 years The Citadel will play teams from all 6 BCS conferences. In 2005 we played Mississippi and Florida State, in 2004 Auburn and Duke. Add the tough SC schedule and it is a monster.
While I am proud to play "the big boys", it could kill our chances as an at large playoff invitee. What do you think?

And honestly, does anybody in 1AA play a tougher schedule??:coach:

The Citadel BCS Football Schedule

2006 - Texas A&M; Pittsburgh
2007 - Wisconsin
2008 - Clemson; Florida
2009 - North Carolina; South Carolina
2010 - Arizona

GeauxColonels
June 21st, 2006, 04:29 PM
Let's look at it in the context of an 11 game schedule, which is the current maximum for I-AA. We'll assume that The Citadel loses its games to BCS schools (2 in 2006 and 2009). Now, your question was in reference to the school's chances at an at large bid, meaning you didn't win the SoCon. Best case scenario, you lost at least 1 game in conference with another team running the table.

That would equate to an 8-3 record (best case scenario) in the SoCon for 2006 and 2009. Going 8-3, losing only 1 game in that conference and the other 2 losses being to I-A, BCS teams (assuming not 70-0), I could see a team with that resume receiving an auto-bid. However, that being said, it was a best case scenario assuming that The Citadel's performance was mutually exclusive of the performance of all other I-AA teams - we know that is NOT the case.

It would STILL depend on what teams in other conferences could accomplish.

OL FU
June 22nd, 2006, 07:16 AM
Let's look at it in the context of an 11 game schedule, which is the current maximum for I-AA. We'll assume that The Citadel loses its games to BCS schools (2 in 2006 and 2009). Now, your question was in reference to the school's chances at an at large bid, meaning you didn't win the SoCon. Best case scenario, you lost at least 1 game in conference with another team running the table.

That would equate to an 8-3 record (best case scenario) in the SoCon for 2006 and 2009. Going 8-3, losing only 1 game in that conference and the other 2 losses being to I-A, BCS teams (assuming not 70-0), I could see a team with that resume receiving an auto-bid. However, that being said, it was a best case scenario assuming that The Citadel's performance was mutually exclusive of the performance of all other I-AA teams - we know that is NOT the case.

It would STILL depend on what teams in other conferences could accomplish.

You have to remember. These are the same folks that fired on Fort Sumter. The USofA. Doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just matters that you go after the biggest fellows in the neighborhood:nod: :D

eaglesrthe1
June 22nd, 2006, 12:08 PM
It's not the Citadels IA record that is going to keep it out of the playoffs. It's the IAA record that will.

BULLDOG8180
June 27th, 2006, 01:05 PM
It's not the Citadels IA record that is going to keep it out of the playoffs. It's the IAA record that will.

While I know that will probably be the case, suppose we go 5-2 in the conference- lose to Texas A&M, and Pittsburgh- win the remaining games against VMI, Chas. Southern, that leaves us at 7-4. Playing strictly a 1AA schedule, I know the answer- we don't make it in. Is that the case either way?:eyebrow:

OL FU
June 27th, 2006, 02:45 PM
While I know that will probably be the case, suppose we go 5-2 in the conference- lose to Texas A&M, and Pittsburgh- win the remaining games against VMI, Chas. Southern, that leaves us at 7-4. Playing strictly a 1AA schedule, I know the answer- we don't make it in. Is that the case either way?:eyebrow:

I think the answer is you don't have to worry about it:p :D

Would probably be tough but a lot would depend on who you beat in the conference and how good the conference is perceived this year.

MarkCCU
June 27th, 2006, 06:41 PM
OL FU you took the words outta my mouth

slycat
June 27th, 2006, 06:46 PM
i just hope yall whip those A&M military wannabies.

MarkCCU
June 27th, 2006, 06:48 PM
i just hope yall whip those A&M military wannabies.

hahahaxlolx xlolx xlolx

GeauxColonels
June 28th, 2006, 10:28 AM

Would probably be tough but a lot would depend on who you beat in the conference and how good the conference is perceived this year.
That and also how the 2nd (and possibly third) place teams in other conferences faired.

BULLDOG8180
June 28th, 2006, 02:36 PM

Not worried about it, just wondering.

We could be the cause of the downfall of the SC. After we defeat FU, GSU, and ASU- people will think the conference is weak:D :nod:

OL FU
June 28th, 2006, 03:26 PM

We could be the cause of the downfall of the SC. After we defeat FU, GSU, and ASU- people will think the conference is weak:D :nod:

That might do it:smiley_wi :D

OL FU
June 28th, 2006, 03:28 PM

PS Don't be a stranger, we need some SoConer's here that don't smoke corn cobb pipes or talk about six flags every time they open their mouths:D

BULLDOG8180
June 29th, 2006, 06:46 AM
PS Don't be a stranger, we need some SoConer's here that don't smoke corn cobb pipes or talk about six flags every time they open their mouths:D

I'll be around, hey when did you play? I got a couple of former FU boys that are good friends?

OL FU
June 29th, 2006, 07:09 AM
I'll be around, hey when did you play? I got a couple of former FU boys that are good friends?

I didn't play, but I have watched a lot. Graduated '79.

You?

JDC325
June 29th, 2006, 04:45 PM
During the next 5 years The Citadel will play teams from all 6 BCS conferences. In 2005 we played Mississippi and Florida State, in 2004 Auburn and Duke. Add the tough SC schedule and it is a monster.
While I am proud to play "the big boys", it could kill our chances as an at large playoff invitee. What do you think?

2007 - Wisconsin
2008 - Clemson; Florida
2010 - Arizona

What are the pay outs going to be? Just curious since GSU got raw deal from UGA for 08.

BULLDOG8180
July 6th, 2006, 09:49 AM
I didn't play, but I have watched a lot. Graduated '79.

You?

Graduated in '80. Was 2-2 against FU. Lost 2 heart breakers my Junior and Senior year ('78 and '79)- after we got Baker.

BULLDOG8180
July 6th, 2006, 10:03 AM
What are the pay outs going to be? Just curious since GSU got raw deal from UGA for 08.

I'm not sure, they got $400,000 last year from Florida State. I would imagine A&M would be a little higher, and Pittsburgh in the same range.

JMO.

Jag4Life
July 6th, 2006, 12:44 PM
I wish them luck! :nod: :nod:

JDC325
July 6th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I'm not sure, they got $400,000 last year from Florida State. I would imagine A&M would be a little higher, and Pittsburgh in the same range.

JMO.
400K???:eek: Wow we definatley got hosed with UGA then.

BULLDOG8180
July 6th, 2006, 04:37 PM
400K???:eek: Wow we definatley got hosed with UGA then.

Well, that depends on what you got. Got to consider travel. Probably a bus ride for you guys.

OL FU
July 7th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Graduated in '80. Was 2-2 against FU. Lost 2 heart breakers my Junior and Senior year ('78 and '79)- after we got Baker.

The one game Baker could not win, no matter which team he coached. :nod:

Now you and I have to be careful, since we are both form the same time period and we both know what the Citadel-Furman game meant back then, we might confuse the newer SoCon Fans and other interested parties if we talk to much about it:D

SoCon48
July 7th, 2006, 07:49 AM

2007 - Wisconsin
2008 - Clemson; Florida
2010 - Arizona

Picking on those lightweights becasue you're scared to face Coastal Carolina, huh?;) ;) ;)

SoCon48
July 7th, 2006, 07:53 AM

It's no win for the SoCon. If ASU, GSU, Fur lose to certain confernce schools, it's because we're weaker than "certain" conferences. If they don't, it's because we're top heavy..not strong top to bottom.;)

dungeonjoe
July 7th, 2006, 08:32 AM
It's no win for the SoCon. If ASU, GSU, Fur lose to certain confernce schools, it's because we're weaker than "certain" conferences. If they don't, it's because we're top heavy..not strong top to bottom.;)

you hit the nail on the head!:thumbsup:

BusinessEagle
July 7th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Well, that depends on what you got. Got to consider travel. Probably a bus ride for you guys.

Around $200K or less, I believe. We are getting less than App State and Western Caro to play UGA. Western is closer to Athen than GSU is. When you only schedule 1 I-A game every 4 years with the same team, you don't have that much negotiating muscle.

walliver
July 7th, 2006, 12:21 PM
We could be the cause of the downfall of the SC. After we defeat FU, GSU, and ASU- people will think the conference is weak

When y'all did that in 2003, that's what most of the ASU/GSU/FU crowd said. Of course, those teams didn't win a single SoCon "dog" game that year.

On the other hand, beating ASU, GSU and FU and losing to Chattanooga and ETSU is still hard to figure out:)

citdog
July 11th, 2006, 05:16 PM
We will play anyone, anytime, anywhere! Just make sure the check for the stadium is ready!

rokamortis
July 11th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Picking on those lightweights becasue you're scared to face Coastal Carolina, huh?;) ;) ;)

Much like ASU - they want the $$$

RabidRabbit
July 11th, 2006, 05:41 PM
We will play anyone, anytime, anywhere! Just make sure the check for the stadium is ready!

We'd likely be happy to do a home and home!!! Travel the two coasts now.:thumbsup: