PDA

View Full Version : Hampton University Wants To Join The CAA - Richmond Times Dispatch

WestCoastAggie
May 23rd, 2012, 12:29 PM
Hampton's quest to join the CAA hit the local VA papers:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2012/may/23/tdsport01-hampton-again-seeking-caa-affiliation-ar-1935400/

By: John O'Connor | Richmond Times-Dispatch
Published: May 23, 2012

Might the Colonial Athletic Association respond to the loss of a member located in Hampton Roads by considering another university from the same area?

Hampton University has belonged to the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference since 1995. HU president William R. Harvey in the past expressed interest in the CAA, which is losing state schools Virginia Commonwealth University (in July) and Old Dominion University (in 2013).

Harvey, HU's president since 1978, approached the CAA about membership when the Pirates elevated to Division I in the mid-1990s. The CAA opted not to invite HU then, or when the league expanded to include Towson, Delaware, Drexel and Hofstra for 2001-02.

The HU president's office Tuesday referred questions to Malcolm "Zeke" Avery, Hampton's interim athletics director.

"Hampton University continues to explore options about conferences and conference affiliations. We think that it's really prudent to do so for the continued competitiveness and welfare of our student-athletes," Avery said.

He chose not to comment when asked if HU has been in contact with the CAA about potential affiliation.

DFW HOYA
May 23rd, 2012, 12:31 PM
99% conjecture. They might be looking, but it's not risen to the level of a story.

Pitz
May 23rd, 2012, 12:39 PM
Some more pointless realignment noise to attract some website hits. Stellar journalism there.

WestCoastAggie
May 23rd, 2012, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't call it pointless. Hampton has let it be known that they are interested in joining the CAA and have been for good while. Dr. Harvey has been in discussions with Mr. Yager's peoples recently, although nothing official has came out of either camp.

superman7515
May 23rd, 2012, 01:13 PM
99% conjecture. They might be looking, but it's not risen to the level of a story.

Whether or not it is "story" level or not, I don't know, but WCA is correct that Hampton & Dr. Harvey have contacted the CAA and had discussions over the last week.

bluehenbillk
May 23rd, 2012, 01:45 PM
The level of ridiculousness is amusing on this board. First, earlier this week there was the "Central Connecticut State lobby" making their case for CAA inclusion. Now, representing the stalwart MEAC is Hampton? OK, I get that location-wise they're as close as you'd get to ODU, unless Norfolk St is closer, I'm not bothering to measure. But yea, this is an example of how a school can be square on geographically, but light years away in every other category.

If you think for a second that Hampton will ever be invited to the CAA you need to have your friggin head examined.

That is all, nothing to see here, please move on.

Libertine
May 23rd, 2012, 01:49 PM
As everyone on AGS should know by now, all media stories about conference expansion are nothing but rumor-mongering and conjecture to be ignored and/or ridiculed.

Unless it involves the Patriot League. In which case, well, that's just damn good journalism.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 23rd, 2012, 01:55 PM
As everyone on AGS should know by now, all media stories about conference expansion are nothing but rumor-mongering and conjecture to be ignored and/or ridiculed.

Unless it involves the Patriot League. In which case, well, that's just damn good journalism.

Goes without saying. xlolx

Humble Steward
May 23rd, 2012, 02:45 PM
Interestingxcoffeex.

slycat
May 23rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
Why would this be such a horrible add? Hampton is a nice school and the football team has had its moments recently. From an outside view it seems like a school to consider.

DSUrocks07
May 23rd, 2012, 04:28 PM
The level of ridiculousness is amusing on this board. First, earlier this week there was the "Central Connecticut State lobby" making their case for CAA inclusion. Now, representing the stalwart MEAC is Hampton? OK, I get that location-wise they're as close as you'd get to ODU, unless Norfolk St is closer, I'm not bothering to measure. But yea, this is an example of how a school can be square on geographically, but light years away in every other category.

If you think for a second that Hampton will ever be invited to the CAA you need to have your friggin head examined.

Name five reasons why Hampton has "no shot at the CAA".

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

superman7515
May 23rd, 2012, 04:29 PM
Why would this be such a horrible add? Hampton is a nice school and the football team has had its moments recently. From an outside view it seems like a school to consider.

Because they're black. We just want to use them for their athleticism, not invite them in for a cup of coffee. xrolleyesx

WestCoastAggie
May 23rd, 2012, 04:43 PM

You need to tell this to Hampton President Dr. Harvey and those in the CAA front office that "kicked the tires," again.

Dane96
May 23rd, 2012, 04:43 PM
Oh boy...hope the sarcasm goes over with some of the dunces here.....

DSUrocks07
May 23rd, 2012, 05:01 PM

Or blogging...depending on who you ask xlolx

Longhorn
May 23rd, 2012, 06:22 PM
I wouldn't call it pointless. Hampton has let it be known that they are interested in joining the CAA and have been for good while. Dr. Harvey has been in discussions with Mr. Yager's peoples recently, although nothing official has came out of either camp.

Hampton officials can blather on and wish and hope about whatever they want, but this isn't a news story as there is nothing to it. Hampton may want to join the CAA, but hey, I want to win the next big Lotto jackpot, and I've been talking to my local retailer asking him to sell me the winning numbers.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 23rd, 2012, 06:33 PM
Most likely, Hampton will be joining the Old Dominion Athletic Conference with James Madison. The ODAC needs two teams and covets the Hampton and Harrisonburg markets.

superman7515
May 23rd, 2012, 06:36 PM
Emory & Henry was a beast back in the day and Bridgewater had a good run early in the last decade, but it's been pretty open lately.

BlueHenSinfonian
May 23rd, 2012, 08:32 PM
If we're going to start chasing MEAC teams I'd rather see Howard for the academic reputation or SC State for their overall football success before Hampton.

henfan
May 23rd, 2012, 08:54 PM
This isn't the first time that HU has expressed interest in the CAA. They discussed the possibility of moving in the early part of the last decade. At that time the CAA's response was "thanks, but no thanks". Don't know if the departure of ODU would sway the pendulum in their favor or not.

BlueHenSinfonian
May 23rd, 2012, 09:17 PM
This isn't the first time that HU has expressed interest in the CAA. They discussed the possibility of moving in the early part of the last decade. At that time the CAA's response was "thanks, but no thanks". Don't know if the departure of ODU would sway the pendulum in their favor or not.

The USA Today athletics budget report doesn't show private schools, but of the public institutions in the MEAC listed Del State has the highest budget at $12.5 million. That's only a little bit over half of Towson's budget, which is the smallest for football sponsoring full CAA members. Assuming Hampton has a similar budget to Del State (which might not be out of the question, NSU is right around $12 million) Hampton would need to be prepared to invest heavily to keep up in the CAA.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 23rd, 2012, 09:17 PM
Emory & Henry was a beast back in the day and Bridgewater had a good run early in the last decade, but it's been pretty open lately.

I think it's a crime that Washington & Lee hasn't been mentioned yet. xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
May 23rd, 2012, 09:19 PM
Or blogging...depending on who you ask xlolx

Rep points! xlolx

danefan
May 23rd, 2012, 09:35 PM
The USA Today athletics budget report doesn't show private schools, but of the public institutions in the MEAC listed Del State has the highest budget at $12.5 million. That's only a little bit over half of Towson's budget, which is the smallest for football sponsoring full CAA members. Assuming Hampton has a similar budget to Del State (which might not be out of the question, NSU is right around $12 million) Hampton would need to be prepared to invest heavily to keep up in the CAA.

EADA reporting shows Hampton with a $10m athletic budget and $3.2m football budget.

Wilmington has the smallest athletic budget in the CAA with $11m without football.

BlueHenSinfonian
May 23rd, 2012, 09:47 PM
EADA reporting shows Hampton with a $10m athletic budget and $3.2m football budget.

Wilmington has the smallest athletic budget in the CAA with $11m without football.

I tried to keep it as apples to apples as possible by keeping it to full CAA football schools. Speaking conservatively, Hampton would need to increase their athletics budget by at least 50% virtually overnight to begin to compete at the CAA level.

danefan
May 23rd, 2012, 10:00 PM
I tried to keep it as apples to apples as possible by keeping it to full CAA football schools. Speaking conservatively, Hampton would need to increase their athletics budget by at least 50% virtually overnight to begin to compete at the CAA level.

I'd say a 75% increase is conservative. Towson's 2010 reported budget was $18m.

BlueHenSinfonian
May 23rd, 2012, 10:27 PM
I'd say a 75% increase is conservative. Towson's 2010 reported budget was $18m.

Towson is $20.5 million according to this: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-05-14/ncaa-college-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1

Different means of reporting maybe?

DFW HOYA
May 23rd, 2012, 11:01 PM
I think it's a crime that Washington & Lee hasn't been mentioned yet. xlolx

W&L played in the Southern Conference until 1954 and once went to the Gator Bowl.

W&L's big rival was Virginia Tech, not VMI. (Talk about a short trip to that game!)

http://www.generalssports.com/sports/fball/info/seriesrec

wmmii
May 24th, 2012, 05:03 AM

This is a horrible fit. They do not match up with the academic theme of CAA and in most sports would be in the bottom tier of performance. No story here

NSU Alum
May 24th, 2012, 05:10 AM
What's the academic theme of the CAA?

danefan
May 24th, 2012, 05:33 AM
Towson is $20.5 million according to this: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-05-14/ncaa-college-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1

Different means of reporting maybe?

Maybe just different years?

Your point remains though.

walliver
May 24th, 2012, 06:10 AM
This is a horrible fit. They do not match up with the academic theme of CAA and in most sports would be in the bottom tier of performance. No story here

With the College of Knowledge (College of Charleston) and Coastal Carolina being talked about as potential CAA members, exactly what is the "academic theme" of the CAA?

superman7515
May 24th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Especially since the APR of Hampton is 20 points higher than Old Dominion, although still not great, who was a CAA stalwart in the full sports conference since 1991. For the 2010 season:

Hampton: 916
Norfolk State: 947

Old Dominion: 896
UMass: 927
Delaware: 936
James Madison: 941
Rhode Island: 948
Towson: 961
Villanova: 970
Richmond: 973
Maine: 978
William & Mary: 979
New Hampshire: 982

ODU, UMass, and Rhode Island are gone or going, so that means James Madison and Delaware don't fit the CAA academic standards either. Think they'll toss either one of them out?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 24th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Please don't use APR rankings, much less one year's APR rankings, as a shortcut for academics. Maine's academics are not 40 points stronger than Delaware's, as much as they might like to think that's the case. A much better ranking for academics (also imperfect, but less so) are incoming SAT scores.

Libertine
May 24th, 2012, 12:59 PM
What's the academic theme of the CAA?

"One Night Under the Sea". It's a bit dated but it worked for the prom that one time.

bluehenbillk
May 24th, 2012, 01:56 PM
So....a team from the worst league in FCS wants to move to the best league in FCS...

Under this theory, if you think Hampton belongs in the CAA you must believe that Sun Belt teams belong in the SEC purely on geographic bases as well???

JazzyBulldog05
May 24th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I think Hampton should look somewhere else. The CAA isn't really that stable right now so it's not as "glamorous" as it once used to be.......even if it's still a better football conference than the MEAC

DSUrocks07
May 24th, 2012, 02:14 PM
I think Hampton should look somewhere else. The CAA isn't really that stable right now so it's not as "glamorous" as it once used to be.......even if it's still a better football conference than the MEAC

^this, the NEW CAA will not be as prestigious as in years past. JMU and Delaware will be gone soon. Jumping there now will be a waste of time, ala Boise State & the Big East.

superman7515
May 24th, 2012, 02:30 PM
So....a team from the worst league in FCS wants to move to the best league in FCS...

I haven't heard anyone from the SWAC mentioned. Or the PFL for that matter.

BlueHenSinfonian
May 24th, 2012, 02:46 PM

Delaware and JMU haven't announced plans to leave yet, so for right now the only real football loss is ODU (well, UMass from last year too). GA State didn't add anything to the league for football strength, and adding Stony Brook, Elon, or CCU will fill in the hole left by ODU.

It isn't as strong for basketball with the loss of VCU, but adding CofC or Davidson as well as other teams improving shouldn't make the loss of VCU that major.

DSUrocks07
May 24th, 2012, 02:53 PM
The one positive from all of these conference shakeups is that there could potentially be several different HBCUs in several different conferences.

JazzyBulldog05
May 24th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Delaware and JMU haven't announced plans to leave yet, so for right now the only real football loss is ODU (well, UMass from last year too). GA State didn't add anything to the league for football strength, and adding Stony Brook, Elon, or CCU will fill in the hole left by ODU.

It isn't as strong for basketball with the loss of VCU, but adding CofC or Davidson as well as other teams improving shouldn't make the loss of VCU that major.

That's IF CoC or Davidson decide to leave the SoCon for the CAA. Like I said, the CAA isn't as glamorous right now as it was before. They're trying to survive. The MEAC may not be the strongest conference by far in FCS, but right now it is a lot more stable than the CAA

Lehigh Football Nation
May 24th, 2012, 03:15 PM
That's IF CoC or Davidson decide to leave the SoCon for the CAA. Like I said, the CAA isn't as glamorous right now as it was before. They're trying to survive. The MEAC may not be the strongest conference by far in FCS, but right now it is a lot more stable than the CAA

I can think of five million reasons why they might move. That, and at least the potential for at-large NCAA bids. The SoCon has never had an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament, while the CAA has at least had them before.

BlueHenSinfonian
May 24th, 2012, 03:16 PM
The one positive from all of these conference shakeups is that there could potentially be several different HBCUs in several different conferences.

IMO that would be good for the HBCUs in question. The traditional rivalries could still be continued as OOC games, and it would expose many more fans to the HBCU teams and bands. I think it would also help raise the competitive level of any teams that decided to join new conferences. I think jumping straight from the MEAC to the CAA might be a bit ambitious, but if the CAA takes a couple of Big South teams I could see the Big South being a nice step up from the MEAC that still fits in well regionally.

JazzyBulldog05
May 24th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I can think of five million reasons why they might move. That, and at least the potential for at-large NCAA bids. The SoCon has never had an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament, while the CAA has at least had them before.

If the CAA is able to add one of these schools and JMU & Del don't bolt, then yes, if Hampton is asked they should jump. But we all know no matter how committed Hampton may be to increasing their athletic budget (since that seems to be a key issue) and thus improving their athletic profile, they won't get invited to join

JazzyBulldog05
May 24th, 2012, 03:34 PM
IMO that would be good for the HBCUs in question. The traditional rivalries could still be continued as OOC games, and it would expose many more fans to the HBCU teams and bands. I think it would also help raise the competitive level of any teams that decided to join new conferences. I think jumping straight from the MEAC to the CAA might be a bit ambitious, but if the CAA takes a couple of Big South teams I could see the Big South being a nice step up from the MEAC that still fits in well regionally.

I agree with your statement about it being a good move for HBCU's to disperse, but I will disagree with jumping to the Big South. For us (SCSU), jumping to the Big South would be a lateral move and not an upgrade IMO. Now if the SoCon was to come calling, I can't say I'd be upset with us jumping ship to them

BlueHenSinfonian
May 24th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I agree with your statement about it being a good move for HBCU's to disperse, but I will disagree with jumping to the Big South. For us (SCSU), jumping to the Big South would be a lateral move and not an upgrade IMO. Now if the SoCon was to come calling, I can't say I'd be upset with us jumping ship to them

SC State is probably strong enough to jump to the SoCon or CAA, but I'm not sure about any of the other MEAC programs.

whoanellie
May 24th, 2012, 05:23 PM
ditto total speculation also see a thread on VMI ditto
Goes without saying. xlolx

Humble Steward
May 24th, 2012, 06:59 PM
SC State is probably strong enough to jump to the SoCon or CAA, but I'm not sure about any of the other MEAC programs.

Not arguing, but I would have to disagree with that statement. I believe the programs that are being established at Norfolk St and B-CU are comparable to South Carolina St. I expect both squads will be much improved from solid seasons last year.

BlueHenSinfonian
May 24th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Not arguing, but I would have to disagree with that statement. I believe the programs that are being established at Norfolk St and B-CU are comparable to South Carolina St. I expect both squads will be much improved from solid seasons last year.

I forgot about Bethune Cookman.

BucBisonAtLarge
May 24th, 2012, 08:02 PM
"One Night Under the Sea". It's a bit dated but it worked for the prom that one time.

"Stairway to Heaven" was my thought

superman7515
May 24th, 2012, 08:13 PM
I was thinking Enchantment Under The Sea...

http://images.wikia.com/bttf/images/5/5a/Enchantmentposter.jpg

Bulldog87
May 24th, 2012, 09:59 PM
SCSU and NC A&T would be perfect fits for the SoCon. Don't sleep on Hampton's academics. Some folks would be suprised if they knew the history and the current state of some of the HBCU's where academics are concerned.

Libertine
May 25th, 2012, 07:43 AM
I was thinking Enchantment Under The Sea...

http://images.wikia.com/bttf/images/5/5a/Enchantmentposter.jpg

Crap. That reference is actually what I was going for and just didn't pull it out.

WileECoyote06
May 25th, 2012, 08:05 AM
SCSU and NC A&T would be perfect fits for the SoCon. Don't sleep on Hampton's academics. Some folks would be suprised if they knew the history and the current state of some of the HBCU's where academics are concerned.

Too busy reading the US News and World Report rankings.

WileECoyote06
May 25th, 2012, 08:06 AM

Opinion.

DSUrocks07
May 25th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Opinion.

Of course it is my opinion, that's why I posted it...what's your opinion on why it would be better for all the HBCUs to "stick together"? I assume that's the stance you're taking on this.

ccd494
May 25th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Please don't use APR rankings, much less one year's APR rankings, as a shortcut for academics. Maine's academics are not 40 points stronger than Delaware's, as much as they might like to think that's the case. A much better ranking for academics (also imperfect, but less so) are incoming SAT scores.

I don't think anyone at Maine is claiming that they have the academics of UDel. Completely different academic missions (Delaware- attract out of state students by burnishing the academic rep; Maine- get degrees for instate kids, if an out of state kid shows up and wants to pay, well, fine).

I would argue that Maine holds its ATHLETES to a higher standard than UD, which is what the APR is a good indicator of. Not that the classes are harder or whatever, but that the kids have to go and graduate.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 25th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I don't think anyone at Maine is claiming that they have the academics of UDel. Completely different academic missions (Delaware- attract out of state students by burnishing the academic rep; Maine- get degrees for instate kids, if an out of state kid shows up and wants to pay, well, fine).

I would argue that Maine holds its ATHLETES to a higher standard than UD, which is what the APR is a good indicator of. Not that the classes are harder or whatever, but that the kids have to go and graduate.

Point extremely well taken. I agree that the institutional missions are completely different. I can't speak to which school holds higher internal standards for athletes, though.

I just see all the time people using the APR as a shortcut for "academic-ness" of an entire institution, which I think is silly.

DSUrocks07
May 25th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Hampton does have some pretty high academic standards, this idea that ALL HBCUs are glorified community colleges is stupid. I think that the Pirates would fit the CAA's "academic profile" just fine. Not to mention with having Norfolk State across the water they can raise them even higher if need be. Plus they have a beautiful campus as well. If the CAA offers a spot, Hampton would be a great fit...from an outsider's perspective.

WileECoyote06
May 25th, 2012, 09:43 AM
No not necessarily. I have an issue with the word 'several', actually. Hampton may do as they please, as a private institution, and if they so see fit, they can raise their tuition to get their budget competitive with other CAA schools. Most of the public institutions in the MEAC simply cannot do that in today's economy.

We complain so much about the MEAC leadership, yet the Council of Presidents has not made a move to remove him. I suspect that they realize that it isn't a conference problem, it's a institution problem. We aren't spending the money required to be an 'elite' FCS conference. So if Hampton or anyone else thinks moving to another conference will solve the problem, they are going to be a bottom feeder in that 'elite' conference. So truly what is the difference?

But alas, until the CAA officials make a site visit, this is pure conjecture. Right now, Pres. Harvey and the Hamptonians are playing the role of the ECU Pirates.

spartanhead
May 25th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Interesting comments....

DSUrocks07
May 25th, 2012, 11:18 AM
No not necessarily. I have an issue with the word 'several', actually. Hampton may do as they please, as a private institution, and if they so see fit, they can raise their tuition to get their budget competitive with other CAA schools. Most of the public institutions in the MEAC simply cannot do that in today's economy.

We complain so much about the MEAC leadership, yet the Council of Presidents has not made a move to remove him. I suspect that they realize that it isn't a conference problem, it's a institution problem. We aren't spending the money required to be an 'elite' FCS conference. So if Hampton or anyone else thinks moving to another conference will solve the problem, they are going to be a bottom feeder in that 'elite' conference. So truly what is the difference?

But alas, until the CAA officials make a site visit, this is pure conjecture. Right now, Pres. Harvey and the Hamptonians are playing the role of the ECU Pirates.

Not saying that breaking up the MEAC is the end game of all of this, but with all the rumors flying around (albeit still rumors, nothing truly solid at this point), there is an opportunity for several of our conference members to at least consider a conference shift. It may be an institutional issue regarding our (lack of) success on the field, but with the variety of schools in our fold, the one string that ties us all together is that we are HBCUs and that we are (more or less) committed to the FCS playoffs.

A day where HBCUs can get multiple conference championships and multiple NCAA bids in football, basketball, and other sports would really be a successful statement for diversity in collegiate athletics. But that's more of a political argument than a sports one. Sports-wise, the cost savings on travel alone speaks for itself. Not to mention that the MEAC could return to a round-robin schedule by shifting down to nine members once again. I'm on record stating that I feel that DSU would fare better in a Northeastern-based conference than in a more Southern-oriented one.