PDA

View Full Version : History of FCS (I-AA) vs. FBS (I-A) - College Sporting News

CSN-info
May 23rd, 2012, 08:37 AM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=866&d=1264771803

History of FCS (I-AA) vs. FBS (I-A)
By Andrew McKillop
College Sporting News Guest Columnist

Every season schools from the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) schedule schools from the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS). Usually the games result in an easy victory for the FBS school, and a nice paycheck for the FCS school. But on a rare occasion, the FCS school pulls off an upset. ...

Read more... (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?760-History-of-FCS-vs.-FBS)

frozennorth
May 23rd, 2012, 08:58 AM
Oregon St. Pac-12 14 5 0 0.737 2011 California-Davis 28-29

coulda sworn that was sac state that beat OSU, not UC davis

Sycamore51
May 23rd, 2012, 09:01 AM
The best part of this entire article was the score of the EWU vs. Idaho game a few years ago. 8-5! How many times a year do you see the score of 8-5 go across the bottom of your tv?

frozennorth
May 23rd, 2012, 09:07 AM
The best part of this entire article was the score of the EWU vs. Idaho game a few years ago. 8-5! How many times a year do you see the score of 8-5 go across the bottom of your tv?

I believe a recent penn state/iowa game had a final score of 5-4

one4all333
May 23rd, 2012, 12:09 PM

Looks like they fumbled that one...Yes it was Sac State who beat the Beavers last year. UC Davis does have a couple wins against the FBS as of late...2 years ago they beat San Jose State and before that Stanford. :)

RichH2
May 23rd, 2012, 12:27 PM
Gotta like Lehigh's record vs FBS, no matter how old;)

Pard4Life
May 23rd, 2012, 12:28 PM
Gotta like Lehigh's record vs FBS, no matter how old;)

Lafayette has you way beat there.

cpalum
May 23rd, 2012, 02:02 PM

1. Good Catch

2. Thank you for correctly referencing UC Davis rather than the non existent "Cal-Davis"...

Now if these guys could only properly reference Cal Poly.

No_Skill
May 23rd, 2012, 06:23 PM
I have to say that one of the more impressive schools has to be Youngstown St.

Youngstown St. (OH) MVC 19 26 1 0.424 2000 Kent St. (OH) 26-20

A .400 record after playing that many games is saying something.

Anybody higher than the .625 of NDSU?

bojeta
May 23rd, 2012, 07:55 PM
1. Good Catch

2. Thank you for correctly referencing UC Davis rather than the non existent "Cal-Davis"...

Now if these guys could only properly reference Cal Poly.

Did they forget the previous Cal Poly win over San Diego State?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 23rd, 2012, 08:33 PM
Montana is 2-0 against Oregon State as well and that isn't on there that I could see. Maybe it's just a list of the last games? ehh...I'm not sure what's going on there.

BlueHenSinfonian
May 23rd, 2012, 09:24 PM

NDSU looks to have the highest percentage, followed by Delaware and UNH both tied at .577 (Delaware 15-11, UNH 7-5). Lehigh and Tenn State get honorable mentions for even records vs FBS at .500 each (Lehigh 8-8, Tenn State 3-3).

Hammerhead
May 23rd, 2012, 09:35 PM
NDSU's winning percentage is the highest. Part of me thinks that's most impressive and part thinks that might be due to the small sample size with 3 of those games against Minnesota. :)

Model Citizen
May 23rd, 2012, 10:19 PM
Wichita State was never I-AA, much less "former FCS."

dgtw
May 24th, 2012, 04:31 AM

The first year they had the two point conversion in the NFL, there was an 8-5 game. I think it was Rams-Falcons. I also recall an 11-8 game that year.

cpalum
May 24th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Did they forget the previous Cal Poly win over San Diego State?

No it looks like they got 4 FBS wins (SDSUx2, UTEP, NMSU) for Cal Poly which is right I think.

They reference "Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo" which is not the correct name of the athletic teams.

A. there should be no "-"

B. The proper name of the athletic teams is "Cal Poly".

I know I'm oversensitive about this stuff but the schools brand gets completely muddied by stuff like this

CSN-info
May 24th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks to everyone for your observations. Adjustments are being made by the author.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 24th, 2012, 12:35 PM
No it looks like they got 4 FBS wins (SDSUx2, UTEP, NMSU) for Cal Poly which is right I think.

They reference "Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo" which is not the correct name of the athletic teams.

A. there should be no "-"

B. The proper name of the athletic teams is "Cal Poly".

I know I'm oversensitive about this stuff but the schools brand gets completely muddied by stuff like this

Well it was Cal Poli-San Luis Obispo up until 2001 or 02 so maybe that is the name they were running under at the time?

ngineer
May 24th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Lafayette has you way beat there.

Huh? Lehigh 8-8-2; Lafayette 5-18-1. We looking at two different screens?

BisonHype!
May 24th, 2012, 01:42 PM

Yea, that is a pretty good record against the FBS. Props to Youngstown!

cpalum
May 24th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Well it was Cal Poli-San Luis Obispo up until 2001 or 02 so maybe that is the name they were running under at the time?

Honestly, I have never seen anything from the school that used a hyphen. I am not sure exactly when there was a formal statement from the university made about the name but I would guess it happened around the time they went DI (1995?)

Cal Poly gets really jacked around the county by well meaning folks calling them things like UC Poly, CPSLO, Cal Tech...etc.

My three favorites in recent memory are the McNeese football announcers calling the team "Cal Poly San Luis Nabisco", the UCLA basketball announcer called them "Pomona" for the entire first half. Most recently the lacrosse team played in the national championship and was referred to as "Cal Poly Tech"

ursus arctos horribilis
May 24th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Honestly, I have never seen anything from the school that used a hyphen. I am not sure exactly when there was a formal statement from the university made about the name but I would guess it happened around the time they went DI (1995?)

Cal Poly gets really jacked around the county by well meaning folks calling them things like UC Poly, CPSLO, Cal Tech...etc.

My three favorites in recent memory are the McNeese football announcers calling the team "Cal Poly San Luis Nabisco", the UCLA basketball announcer called them "Pomona" for the entire first half. Most recently the lacrosse team played in the national championship and was referred to as "Cal Poly Tech"

it was known as Cal Poly San Louis Obispo for years when the Griz were playing them in the 90's that I remember for sure. The tickets to games has Cal Poly-SLO and all that on them. They did a branding change to drop the SLO and it very well may have been in 99 but the school was known as Cal Poly SLO.for some reason to most of us until I remember a concerted effort by the school to change that. I'm not saying Cal Poly necessarily wanted it that way but they didn't seem overly concerned at the time with that.

It looks like some of the California Publications are not even following the branding change.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/run-350486-hit-innings.html

cpalum
May 24th, 2012, 03:01 PM
it was known as Cal Poly San Louis Obispo for years when the Griz were playing them in the 90's that I remember for sure. The tickets to games has Cal Poly-SLO and all that on them. They did a branding change to drop the SLO and it very well may have been in 99 but the school was known as Cal Poly SLO.for some reason to most of us until I remember a concerted effort by the school to change that. I'm not saying Cal Poly necessarily wanted it that way but they didn't seem overly concerned at the time with that.

It looks like some of the California Publications are not even following the branding change.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/run-350486-hit-innings.html

Yep...its all jacked up.

...."Cal Tech" may look better on my resume anyway xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
May 24th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Yep...its all jacked up.

...."Cal Tech" may look better on my resume anyway xlolxxlolx

FWIW, you guys are just Cal Poly to me...in the last 10 yrs. anyway.:)

UNIFanSince1983
May 25th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Look at how many FBS games Indiana State has played. 57! That is crazy.

BucBisonAtLarge
May 25th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Isn't Cal Tech a DIII school? I remember them having a wretchedly long losing streak in hoops.

cpalum
May 25th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Isn't Cal Tech a DIII school? I remember them having a wretchedly long losing streak in hoops.

Yep

dgtw
May 25th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Isn't Cal Tech where the Big Bang Theory people work?

Twentysix
May 26th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Saw a Cal Poly reference on Eureka last night.

Felicia Days character who is a rocket scientist has a Ph.D. from CP, which is briefly mentioned.