PDA

View Full Version : Ten Games for FCS vs. Top FBS in 2012

bonarae
May 22nd, 2012, 07:00 PM
http://saturdayblitz.com/2012/05/22/ten-games-for-fcs-to-top-fbs-in-2012-complete-fbs-vs-fcs-schedule/

Somewhat accurate description of the FCS teams, unlike those in B/R. The complete FBS vs. FCS schedule is on page 2 of that article. Any other winnable games he has missed?

Let's cheer for our fellow FCS brethren to best the miserable 2 win record vs. the FBS last season! :D

Professor Chaos
May 22nd, 2012, 07:21 PM
I think if there's a betting line on the NDSU/Colorado St game NDSU will be the favorite. I wouldn't consider that game an upset by any means if the Bison come away with a win. CSU is in shambles and will be one of the worst FBS teams in the country. I'd consider any top 10 FCS team the favorite in that matchup.

JSUBison
May 22nd, 2012, 07:22 PM
http://saturdayblitz.com/2012/05/22/ten-games-for-fcs-to-top-fbs-in-2012-complete-fbs-vs-fcs-schedule/

Somewhat accurate description of the FCS teams, unlike those in B/R. The complete FBS vs. FCS schedule is on page 2 of that article. Any other winnable games he has missed?

Let's cheer for our fellow FCS brethren to best the miserable 2 win record vs. the FBS last season! :D

FCS won 6 games last year.

Seawolf97
May 22nd, 2012, 07:36 PM
I dont know about Syracuse but I think we have more than even shot against Army.

TTUEagles
May 22nd, 2012, 07:37 PM
UT-Martin plays at Memphis the week before...and they pick the game at Northern Illinois as an upset possibility?

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 22nd, 2012, 07:47 PM
I dont know about Syracuse but I think we have more than even shot against Army.

I agree. The talent level at Syracuse has been raised considerably the last couple years. I'd be surprised if the 'Cuse doesn't win this one by 3+ TD's.

I'd begrudgingly add Temple-Villanova to this list. Our talent level is Top 50 at this point but we'll be breaking in a ton of new players in the season opener against the 'Cats. That along with the rivalry aspect and the butt kicking we put on them last year leads me to believe this one could go down to the wire like the '09 and '10 games.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 22nd, 2012, 07:48 PM
UT-Martin plays at Memphis the week before...and they pick the game at Northern Illinois as an upset possibility?

Right? NIU is a very solid FBS program!

For the most part, the average to better MAC teams usually win their FCS games going away.

pokefan02
May 22nd, 2012, 08:01 PM
The author did not include McNeese State at Middle Tennessee on 8/30/2012 which I believe is a game McNeese should win

Sycamore51
May 22nd, 2012, 08:01 PM
And Indiana State was one of them!

Redbird Ray
May 22nd, 2012, 08:41 PM
We're probably catching them in the worst possible year in the last 20 years, but if our o-line can gel together by week 2, then I like our chances at Eastern Michigan. I'd feel much better about this game if it were later in the season though, replacing 5 starting olinemen will be tough.

CrazyCat
May 22nd, 2012, 08:52 PM
Well, after 11 straight years, we are going to take a little break. Good luck to everyone.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 22nd, 2012, 09:40 PM
I will be shocked if EWU doesn't beat Idaho, probably by a couple scores if Padron is legit.

JMUNJ08
May 22nd, 2012, 09:56 PM
I will be shocked if EWU doesn't beat Idaho, probably by a couple scores if Padron is legit.

Isn't this a preview of a future conference game? Should be close.

JMU may not be a top 10 chance this year to win vs WVU but anyone else playing a neutral game vs FBS?

darell1976
May 22nd, 2012, 10:01 PM
UND could give San Diego State all they can handle just like UND did to Fresno State last year. SDSU is without their top QB (graduated), and RB (went to the Denver Broncos). I think this game will be more closer than it looks especially if UND has solved their QB problem.

344Johnson
May 22nd, 2012, 11:52 PM
UND could give San Diego State all they can handle just like UND did to Fresno State last year. SDSU is without their top QB (graduated), and RB (went to the Denver Broncos). I think this game will be more closer than it looks especially if UND has solved their QB problem.

Or it could be eerily similar to that 45-(insert number less that 20) score that UND got beat down by Idaho by.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 23rd, 2012, 12:58 AM
Isn't this a preview of a future conference game? Should be close.

JMU may not be a top 10 chance this year to win vs WVU but anyone else playing a neutral game vs FBS?

Hopefully. Past conference mate, and if they're smart, they'll come back to the Sky. Last time we played them was 2003, EWU won 8-5. How's that for a weird score?

darell1976
May 23rd, 2012, 01:19 AM
Or it could be eerily similar to that 45-(insert number less that 20) score that UND got beat down by Idaho by.

That's why I am not counting on a win, but an upset would be nice.

Squealofthepig
May 23rd, 2012, 02:03 AM

He's from Harvard - he hires others to do his addition/subtraction and other heavy-lifting for him.

Tribe4SF
May 23rd, 2012, 06:40 AM
W&M has a shot against Maryland on September 1. The Terrapins were decimated by transfers during the offseason, and will be very young.

Sycamore51
May 23rd, 2012, 07:13 AM
W&M has a shot against Maryland on September 1. The Terrapins were decimated by transfers during the offseason, and will be very young.

As bad as Maryland was last year, it could be addition by subtraction. IU is in the same boat as Maryland. If we played the squad they had last year then I really think we would have won, but a lot of kids left, or got asked to leave, and they brought in JUCO kids to fill that spot. Maryland is probably in the same boat.

Apphole
May 23rd, 2012, 08:05 AM
We should beat ECU. Our D is looking incredible this year, Scott "The Chess Master" Satterfield is back along with this missing play offensive play book and the Butt Pirates were 5-7 last year.

Sammy94
May 23rd, 2012, 08:13 AM
Unfortunately we play the SEC and Big XII this year instead of the WAC, Sunbelt, C-USA, or one of the other weaker FBS confrences. Don't like our chances at all at Kyle Field. Baylor without RGIII, we may keep it close but not expecting a win in Waco either.

asumike83
May 23rd, 2012, 08:22 AM
We should beat ECU. Our D is looking incredible this year, Scott "The Chess Master" Satterfield is back along with this missing play offensive play book and the Butt Pirates were 5-7 last year.

We have a shot but I'm not going to say we should beat them. The game is at their place, it will be rowdy and you know they do not want to lose to an in-state FCS team. Granted, we took their '09 C-USA championship team to the wire with our 3rd string QB. You'd think we will be better than the team we brought to Greenville then (only because we were without Armanti, of course) and they will be worse but football is a funny game. I'd say ECU is about a 1 TD favorite.

Wildcat80
May 23rd, 2012, 08:24 AM
New Hampshire needs to get our rep back as FBS-killers. Minnesota could be the next one to fall. Just Do It Cats!

asumike83
May 23rd, 2012, 08:26 AM
New Hampshire needs to get our rep back as FBS-killers. Minnesota could be the next one to fall. Just Do It Cats!

Why do they keep scheduling good FCS teams? That has to be a huge black eye for the Big Ten. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they lost again.

elon77
May 23rd, 2012, 02:55 PM
Thomas Wilson will throw for 600 yards, Mellette will snag 280 of those yards, Wilson will have zero Int's, and Elon will beat the Tarholes to open up the season. The new Carolina coach will be sent packing and by the end of the game Carolina fans will be yelling "when does basketball start"? Might as well think big, never have liked them Tarholes.

Houndawg
May 23rd, 2012, 03:13 PM
I give SIU a puncher's chance against Miami Ohio if the defense has a big day. Mostly because SIU plays them the week after Ohio State.

crossfire07
May 23rd, 2012, 03:13 PM
Unfortunately we play the SEC and Big XII this year instead of the WAC, Sunbelt, C-USA, or one of the other weaker FBS confrences. Don't like our chances at all at Kyle Field. Baylor without RGIII, we may keep it close but not expecting a win in Waco either.

Baylor has 2 weeks to get ready for Sam.

Apphole
May 23rd, 2012, 03:14 PM
Thomas Wilson will throw for 600 yards, Mellette will snag 280 of those yards, Wilson will have zero Int's, and Elon will beat the Tarholes to open up the season. The new Carolina coach will be sent packing and by the end of the game Carolina fans will be yelling "when does basketball start"? Might as well think big, never have liked them Tarholes.

Go Elon! Beat the Holes!!

chattownmocs
May 23rd, 2012, 03:17 PM

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXUIFkxJvVYYifD5R7gMuZaN_yuTIcb 5S72sm7UVb9kQB4jcDNNw9QQmOfbQ

http://media.knoxnews.com/media/img/photos/2011/01/29/012911chess1_asb_14414_t607.jpg

Apphole
May 23rd, 2012, 03:24 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXUIFkxJvVYYifD5R7gMuZaN_yuTIcb 5S72sm7UVb9kQB4jcDNNw9QQmOfbQ

http://media.knoxnews.com/media/img/photos/2011/01/29/012911chess1_asb_14414_t607.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA

Thundar
May 23rd, 2012, 09:39 PM
I am so cheering for New Hampshire to knock down the goofers!!!!

frozennorth
May 24th, 2012, 03:34 AM

the more the goofs lose, the better ndsu's recruiting

Gothmog
May 24th, 2012, 08:07 AM
the more the goofs lose, the better ndsu's recruiting

I really doubt that. The Bison don't have a single player the Gophers offered. Sure, it's good when the Bison beat the Gophers, other than that we're probably better off if they do well.

Gothmog
May 24th, 2012, 08:10 AM

Why? I only want to see the Gophers lose when they play NDSU. Against anyone else it's Go Gophers!

BisonBacker
May 24th, 2012, 08:16 AM
I'm a Gophers fan except when they play NDSU.

BisonHype!
May 24th, 2012, 08:17 AM
I really doubt that. The Bison don't have a single player the Gophers offered. Sure, it's good when the Bison beat the Gophers, other than that we're probably better off if they do well.

It helps to beat them, but doesn't exactly help when we are recruiting the same people. If a player has an opprotunity to go play in the Big Ten or the MVFC.... Probably going to the Big Ten.

Wildcat80
May 24th, 2012, 08:37 AM

UNH does not have anyone that they recruited either. We still want to beat the Gophers!

kdinva
May 24th, 2012, 09:13 AM
I'm a Gophers fan except when they play NDSU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHHrI47oE30

BisonHype!
May 24th, 2012, 09:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHHrI47oE30

Terrible. Fits with the football team though. lol

asumike83
May 24th, 2012, 09:29 AM

Nothing would make me happier.

TTUEagles
May 24th, 2012, 12:40 PM
The author did not include McNeese State at Middle Tennessee on 8/30/2012 which I believe is a game McNeese should win

I will be the biggest McNeese St. fan that day!!!

elon77
May 25th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Nothing would make me happier.

One thing would make me happier, beating the tarholes and............... ASU.xnodx

Apphole
May 25th, 2012, 08:32 AM
One thing would make me happier, beating the tarholes and............... ASU.xnodx

You have a better chance at the former.

BisonHype!
May 25th, 2012, 08:46 AM
UNI has two good vs. FBS games. I wouldn't mind watching either of them. Probably won't win either of them, but Iowa they might give a scare.

Sept. 1 at Wisconsin
Sept. 15 at Iowa

SpeedkingATL
May 25th, 2012, 08:53 AM

That will be the only time in history I have pulled for the Flameing Birds....please beat those baby blue frauds!!

BisonFan02
May 25th, 2012, 08:59 AM
NDSU vs. CSU.....next year's win for NDSU makes us "bowl eligible" at 6-3 vs FBS.

BisonHype!
May 25th, 2012, 09:07 AM
NDSU vs. CSU.....next year's win for NDSU makes us "bowl eligible" at 6-3 vs FBS.

What is the rule on that?

BucBisonAtLarge
May 25th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Bowl placement is FBS-conference affiliated.

PaladinFan
May 25th, 2012, 02:53 PM

Everytime UNC wants to put their coach on the hot seat, they schedule Furman.

BisonHype!
May 25th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Bowl placement is FBS-conference affiliated.

Yes, but FCS teams can earn an AT LARGE bid. I know we almost did in 2007 I think? when we were ranked No. 1 in the FCS at the time, but weren't eligible for FCS playoffs so we were one of the teams considered for that bid. Anyways, probably only cuz we were not eligible for the playoffs. Obviously we would probably do playoffs now then do a POO POO Bowl game where it costs us money.

BisonFan02
May 25th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Yes, but FCS teams can earn an AT LARGE bid. I know we almost did in 2007 I think? when we were ranked No. 1 in the FCS at the time, but weren't eligible for FCS playoffs so we were one of the teams considered for that bid. Anyways, probably only cuz we were not eligible for the playoffs. Obviously we would probably do playoffs now then do a POO POO Bowl game where it costs us money.

It was a joke on being "bowl eligible"...probably should have used purple font. The "bowl eligible" in quotations was more of a way to show how well the Bison have done against FBS competition since moving up.

BisonHype!
May 25th, 2012, 04:16 PM
It was a joke on being "bowl eligible"...probably should have used purple font. The "bowl eligible" in quotations was more of a way to show how well the Bison have done against FBS competition since moving up.

GOTCHA. Anyways we did almost get a bowl bid before we were FCS playoff eligible. Which is cool.

BisonFan02
May 25th, 2012, 04:21 PM
GOTCHA. Anyways we did almost get a bowl bid before we were FCS playoff eligible. Which is cool.

Probably not. The only way it was going to happen (IIRC) is if we had run the table and there wasn't enough "bowl eligible" teams (which was at risk happening that season until a few teams pulled a few upsets to get their 6th win...it was a wierd year). Since we couldn't play in the playoffs, there would have been an opportunity to play in a bowl instead, but an FCS team will likely never get in over a bowl eligible FBS team.

TheBisonator
May 25th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Probably not. The only way it was going to happen (IIRC) is if we had run the table and there wasn't enough "bowl eligible" teams (which was at risk happening that season until a few teams pulled a few upsets to get their 6th win...it was a wierd year). Since we couldn't play in the playoffs, there would have been an opportunity to play in a bowl instead, but an FCS team will likely never get in over a bowl eligible FBS team.

Gene basically said at the time that the only way it would have a snowball's chance in hell of working was if we were undefeated, and even then it probably wouldn't happen, but he was looking into it cause he wanted to keep all our options open at the time. I believe there would also have to have been a shortage of FBS at-large bid teams that year, and there were enough.

BisonFan02
May 25th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Gene basically said at the time that the only way it would have a snowball's chance in hell of working was if we were undefeated, and even then it probably wouldn't happen, but he was looking into it cause he wanted to keep all our options open at the time. I believe there would also have to have been a shortage of FBS at-large bid teams that year, and there were enough.

That's kinda what I thought....it probably would have been the Motor City bowl, but someone ended up getting their 6th win to play against Western Michigan (who ended up winning the bowl game). Besides, we had already beaten Western Michigan that year anyway, and who would have wanted to watch a rematch? :D

TheBisonator
May 25th, 2012, 05:20 PM
That's kinda what I thought....it probably would have been the Motor City bowl, but someone ended up getting their 6th win to play against Western Michigan (who ended up winning the bowl game). Besides, we had already beaten Western Michigan that year anyway, and who would have wanted to watch a rematch? :D

We beat Central Michigan that year. CMU played in the Motor City Bowl that year.

RabidRabbit
May 25th, 2012, 05:46 PM
xthumbsupx
And Indiana State was one of them! xnodx

Come a long way there Trees!

BisonFan02
May 25th, 2012, 05:58 PM
We beat Central Michigan that year. CMU played in the Motor City Bowl that year.

That's what I was going for....not really sure why I mixed up Western and Central....been a long day.