PDA

View Full Version : UNI DB/Safety Andre Martin transfers to NDSU

BisonFan02
May 22nd, 2012, 10:57 AM
Source confirms UNI dback Andre Martin will transfer to NDSU, using same NCAA rule as Wis. QB Russell Wilson. If graduated, eligible now. -- Jeff Kolpack (@FGOSPORTSWRITER)

Found this interesting...assuming he wants to play under D coordinator Klieman. That, or he wants to win a national championship :D

BisonHype!
May 22nd, 2012, 10:59 AM
I don't know the specifics on Andre Martin. Is he the top DB for UNI? Was he a starter the last year or two? Will he even start for NDSU?!?!!

BisonFan02
May 22nd, 2012, 11:02 AM
I don't know the specifics on Andre Martin. Is he the top DB for UNI? Was he a starter the last year or two? Will he even start for NDSU?!?!!

Not sure about last year, but I think the year before he lead the team in picks and was towards the top in tackles. With the depth we have in our secondary, he might have a tough time cracking the starting lineup, but I would think he might see some playing time. If anything, it gives us special teams depth.

LakesBison
May 22nd, 2012, 11:04 AM
He just wants to play for coach k and NOT FARLEY. Thats the bottom line, ohh and he wants a ring!

Welcome to NDSU!. He'll play nickel and special teams for sure, maybe more if he returns to.his 2010 form

Go Bison
May 22nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
Sounds like he will compete at CB. With the talent NDSU has at that position I wonder if they play more nickel packages this year.

BisonHype!
May 22nd, 2012, 11:07 AM
According to UNI's website stats, he only recorded 17 tackles last year for them. They didn't have that part on his Bio, but seems like he was a starter. But last year didn't produce as much. I don't know if that had to do with him not always starting, or maybe injuries? I don't know.

Andre Martin Biography

Courtesy: UNI Athletics Communications
Release: 06/01/2011

2010: Started all 12 games at safety for the MVFC champions ... led the Panthers with five interceptions and racked up 66 return yards on those interceptions ...third on the team with 77 total tackles ... also third on the team with 33 solo tackles ... credited with five pass breakups and one forced fumble on the year ... registered five tackles and his first interception of the season in UNI's 16-9 season-opening victory over North Dakota State (9/11) ... tallied a season-high 10 tackles against Stephen F. Austin (9/18) ... posted eight tackles, made two interceptions and forced a fumble in the Panthers' 24-14 win over South Dakota State (10/2) ... named the MVFC Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against South Dakota State ... notched seven tackles and another interception in a 19-14 triumph over South Dakota (10/16) ... returned an interception 62 yards for a touchdown late in the third quarter against Illinois State, stretching the Panthers' lead to 28-7 ... also recorded six tackles and 0.5 TFL in the 42-14 win over the Redbirds (10/23) ... made eight tackles and 0.5 TFL at Western Illinois (11/20) ... honorable mention on the MVFC All-Academic team.

2009: Started all 11 games at cornerback for the Panthers ... intercepted two passes and recorded 44 total tackles on the season ... made 26 solo stops and 18 assisted stops ... made his first career interception and registered three tackles in a 66-7 win over South Dakota (9/12) ... credited with a season-high nine tackles in a 42-27 win at North Dakota State (10/10) ... tallied five tackles and a pass break-up against Southern Illinois (10/17) ... racked up six tackles and a pass break-up at South Dakota State (10/24) ... intercepted a pass and returned it 24 yards in a 34-0 shutout victory over Western Illinois (11/14) ... recorded eight tackles at Illinois State (11/21).

2008: Redshirted.

High School: A four-year starter at McCluer High School ... led the Suburban North Conference in interceptions the past two seasons with 12 total picks ... first-team all-conference pick as a junior and a senior ... gained over 2,200 all-purpose yards in 2006 and 2007 ... also a standout performer in basketball and track ... ran a 10.6 in the 100 meters ... state medalist in several relays ... tallied 97 steals in 16 games as a junior in basketball ... all-conference player in three sports ... ran a 4.46 40-yard dash ... high school coach: Joe Henke.

Personal: Born Dec. 23, 1989 ... son of Andre Martin Sr. and Vanessa Robinson ... majoring in gerontology.

Martin's Career Defensive Stats

Year G-GS UT AT Total TFL Sacks INT FF FR PBU

2009 11-11 26 18 44 0.0 0.0 2 0 0 3

2010 12-12 33 44 77 1.5 0.0 5 1 0 5

Totals 23-23 59 62 121 1.5 0.0 7 1 0 8

Go Bison
May 22nd, 2012, 11:29 AM
Kolpack reported he had a bad back last year. Some on the UNI message board say he was demoted to a backup.

BisonHype!
May 22nd, 2012, 11:30 AM
He just wants to play for coach k and NOT FARLEY. Thats the bottom line, ohh and he wants a ring!

Welcome to NDSU!. He'll play nickel and special teams for sure, maybe more if he returns to.his 2010 form

I... I have to agree with you. xeekx He didn't start last year it doesn't look like, and I would see him probably playing nickel or filling in as Safety help maybe. Everyone has to be able to play special teams right!?

clenz
May 22nd, 2012, 12:31 PM
He went into camp as the starter....and then almost never played during the season.

He went from an All Conference caliber player to the back up nickle guy

BisonHype!
May 22nd, 2012, 12:33 PM
He went into camp as the starter....and then almost never played during the season.

He went from an All Conference caliber player to the back up nickle guy

Was that due to the back injury, or because he just got outplayed in camp?

clenz
May 22nd, 2012, 12:51 PM
He was never listed as injured, afaik.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

MplsBison
May 22nd, 2012, 12:53 PM
Can anyone answer a specific question about the rule that allows him to be eligible immediately?

Does the grad school the athlete transfers to (in this case NDSU) have to be offering a program that the previous school does not?

In this case that wouldn't be hard, as NDSU is a comprehensive flagship public research school while UNI was formerly a teacher's college.

BisonFan02
May 22nd, 2012, 12:57 PM
Can anyone answer a specific question about the rule that allows him to be eligible immediately?

Does the grad school the athlete transfers to (in this case NDSU) have to be offering a program that the previous school does not?

In this case that wouldn't be hard, as NDSU is a comprehensive flagship public research school while UNI was formerly a teacher's college.

He doesn't have to wait. College grads don't have to wait a year to be on a roster.

BisonHype!
May 22nd, 2012, 12:59 PM
He apparently is under the impression he will get some sort of playing time.

gotts
May 22nd, 2012, 01:05 PM
He was never listed as injured, afaik.

Not doubting you, as the first link doesn't go into detail of what the injury was.

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/uni/football/football-uni-deep-talented-in-secondary/article_8a366674-c60c-11e0-a9cf-001cc4c002e0.html

BisonHype!
May 22nd, 2012, 01:07 PM
Perhaps the injury bothered him last season, and maybe we get a healthy Martin. I guess we will see how he fits in.

Sycamore51
May 22nd, 2012, 01:14 PM

It does have to be a program not offered by the school the player is leaving.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 22nd, 2012, 01:27 PM

Looking at their website, UNI is a little thin in the Graduate Program. 9 Masters Programs and 2 Doctoral programs. Probably not hard to find something else at NDSU which has 66 Masters and 44 Doctoral programs.

MplsBison
May 22nd, 2012, 01:38 PM

That's what I thought, thanks.

Now however, it makes me wonder about some of the more big time transfers who have used the rule to their advantage. I'm thinking along the lines of the QBs that have recently transferred from Oregon to Mississippi and from NC St to Wisconsin. I wonder what special programs they used to take advantage of the rule in these cases???? Seems like all are huge public schools that would have every program.

frozennorth
May 22nd, 2012, 02:44 PM
That's what I thought, thanks.

Now however, it makes me wonder about some of the more big time transfers who have used the rule to their advantage. I'm thinking along the lines of the QBs that have recently transferred from Oregon to Mississippi and from NC St to Wisconsin. I wonder what special programs they used to take advantage of the rule in these cases???? Seems like all are huge public schools that would have every program.

oregon isn't all that big (24,000) and ole miss is downright tiny (17,000)

nc state is pretty big (35,000) and UW is even huger (42,000). according to wikipedia, UW offers 50 more masters and 50 more phd programs than ncstate, and the caliber of schools are on the opposite ends of the spectrum

clenz
May 22nd, 2012, 04:50 PM
I must have missed the severity of the back injury. However, he still wqsnt the starter through spring ball.....his roll would have been very similar this year

BisonHype!
May 22nd, 2012, 05:27 PM
Well, I hope he can get back to his old form, and be a good addition.

MplsBison
May 22nd, 2012, 06:18 PM
Well, I hope he can get back to his old form, and be a good addition.

Special teams for sure.