PDA

View Full Version : NEC 2012 Spring Meetings

aceinthehole
May 22nd, 2012, 08:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z10zFlkfkog&list=UUZ1GWuhGy4zdI3xtVdqIoZw&index=1&feature=plcp

The Northeast Conference kicked off its spring meetings on Monday, May 21, at the Ocean Place Resort & Spa in Long Branch, NJ. Opening the meetings, the football athletic directors got together and talked about the year and moving forward. Catch some of the post-meeting reactions from Robert Morris Athletic Director Craig Coleman and Wagner AD Walt Hameline.

Dane96
May 22nd, 2012, 09:00 AM
Cant watch at work

Any talk to get to counter status?

aceinthehole
May 22nd, 2012, 09:09 AM
Cant watch at work

Any talk to get to counter status?

Yes, they talked about keeping existing members, expanding to new members, and potential increases to the scholly limit. Lots of talk at the meetings - they are closely monitoring the current situation, but they haven't tipped their hat at all.

Dane96
May 22nd, 2012, 09:14 AM
Wow...that is HUGE news.

I'd have no problem staying in the NEC w/ counter status.

My real question is: NEW MEMBERS? Who on earth could that be.

WestCoastAggie
May 22nd, 2012, 09:18 AM
Hey Ace,

Delaware State applied for membership in the past. Are the Hornets still being considered for membership?

Dane96
May 22nd, 2012, 09:19 AM
That would make sense...a lot of sense.

What's the status on the new stadium they talked about.

danefan
May 22nd, 2012, 09:23 AM
Wow...that is HUGE news.

I'd have no problem staying in the NEC w/ counter status.

My real question is: NEW MEMBERS? Who on earth could that be.

If the NEC goes to full scholarship football and the CAA moves further South, could we see UNH and Maine joining along with SBU if SBU doesn't get a full-sport offer to the CAA?

aceinthehole
May 22nd, 2012, 09:26 AM
Hey Ace,

Delaware State applied for membership in the past. Are the Hornets still being considered for membership?

At this point, I don't think any particular school is "in play" or has formally applied. I think everyone is waiting to see what happens with the CAA first.

IMO - Almost anything can happen, just too many moving parts at this time. As for Delaware State, if Hampton and/or Norfolk State are serious candidates for the CAA, then I can assure you that the NEC will at least take another look at DSU.

Dane96
May 22nd, 2012, 09:27 AM
Good point!

So football would be:

NORTH
Albany
URI
UNH
MAINE
CCSU
Bryant

SOUTH
Duquense
RMU
Monmouth
St. Francis
Sacred Heart
SBU

My guess is W&B in that scenario goes to the PL with Villanova...a plus for that league. UD and JMU go to the big leagues. Coastal hooks up with the Southern (who will eventually lose G. Southern and Appy).

Where does Towson go?!?!?! Or does Sacred Heart or St. Francis throw in the towel...and open the spot for Towson in the South. Or does Rhody pack it up...and spend money where it should: HOCKEY!!!

aceinthehole
May 22nd, 2012, 09:29 AM
If the NEC goes to full scholarship football and the CAA moves further South, could we see UNH and Maine joining along with SBU if SBU doesn't get a full-sport offer to the CAA?

Again, way too early to tell, but something like this might be an option of last resort for the current CAA North members. At this point, I think everything is on the table.

BisonHype!
May 22nd, 2012, 09:31 AM
Yes, they talked about keeping existing members, expanding to new members, and potential increases to the scholly limit. Lots of talk at the meetings - they are closely monitoring the current situation, but they haven't tipped their hat at all.

What is their current scholly limit? What would they like to go to?

danefan
May 22nd, 2012, 09:32 AM
What is their current scholly limit? What would they like to go to?

2012 - 38
2013 - 40

No plans currently to go above 40.

Certain members have pushed for something in the counter range of 57.

Dane96
May 22nd, 2012, 09:32 AM
Albany and CCSU definitely want to go to counter status (56.5 I believe) to be National Championship caliber competitive, and to play counter games.

Once complete, Albany and CCSU hands down have the best facilities in the conference...they just want rides.

DFW HOYA
May 22nd, 2012, 09:45 AM
Where does Towson go?!?!?! Or does Sacred Heart or St. Francis throw in the towel...and open the spot for Towson in the South.

The DC/MD/VA schools seem to be becoming odd men out in their respective conferences--too far south for some (PL, NEC), too far north for others (CAA, Big South).

If someone can figure out a scheduling plan between UR, W&M, VMI, Georgetown and Towson, you've got a interesting group right there.

aceinthehole
May 22nd, 2012, 10:25 AM
Again, I wouldn't get overly excited about anything yet. The NEC is still in a reactionary mode - right now the CAA has the next move. But I do have faith in the administration of the NEC over anything being done in Boston at the AE offices. The NEC is trying to lay out plans for all the "what if" situations.

Lots of tweets coming out of the NEC - great job keeping fans "in the loop." I'm guessing this is a very weird situaton, as I'm betting some NEC schools are having individual "non-official" conversations outside the league as well. This is likely something that is happening at all the conference meetings this year.

‏@NECsports
everything from exit penalties to sponsorship revenue to hoops scheduling touched on at today's #SpringMeetings good convo at #JerseyShore

BisonHype!
May 22nd, 2012, 10:26 AM
Yea, the CAA might be the player with the next move here.

Brad82
May 22nd, 2012, 03:47 PM
I will believe the Rhody hockey thing when I see it!

hebmskebm
May 22nd, 2012, 05:49 PM
Good point!

So football would be:

NORTH
Albany
URI
UNH
MAINE
CCSU
Bryant

SOUTH
Duquense
RMU
Monmouth
St. Francis
Sacred Heart
SBU

My guess is W&B in that scenario goes to the PL with Villanova...a plus for that league. UD and JMU go to the big leagues. Coastal hooks up with the Southern (who will eventually lose G. Southern and Appy).

Where does Towson go?!?!?! Or does Sacred Heart or St. Francis throw in the towel...and open the spot for Towson in the South. Or does Rhody pack it up...and spend money where it should: HOCKEY!!!

You forgot Poland, er, I mean, Wagner :D. Realistically, as much as you might not like it, Albany would most likely end up in the south division with Stony Brook. Sacred Heart would be in the North. Makes for a more balanced public/private divisional breakdown And I see Wagner sticking it out in full scholly land more than I can see St. Francis. So more likely it would look like:

North (New England): Maine, UNH, URI, CCSU, Bryant, Sacred Heart
South (Mid-Atlantic): Albany, Stony Brook, Wagner, Monmouth, RMU, Duquesne

PFL, Dropping football altogether, or moving entire athletic program to DII: St. Francis.

Dane96
May 22nd, 2012, 06:01 PM
I did forget Wagner...doh

DFW HOYA
May 22nd, 2012, 06:24 PM
North (New England): Maine, UNH, URI, CCSU, Bryant, Sacred Heart
South (Mid-Atlantic): Albany, Stony Brook, Wagner, Monmouth, RMU, Duquesne
PFL, Dropping football altogether, or moving entire athletic program to DII: St. Francis.

Football accounts for 17% of the entire male student body in Loretto. That's why they play the game.

dgtw
May 22nd, 2012, 06:36 PM
By counter status, does that mean the number of scholarships a school must offer in order for a FBS school to count a win over them for bowl eligibility?

aceinthehole
May 22nd, 2012, 06:47 PM
Football accounts for 17% of the entire male student body in Loretto. That's why they play the game.

Exactly. I don't see SFPA or Wagner (which is just as small) giving up on Football. If places like Presby, Wofford, and Davidson can keep a team, so can St. Francis.

FCS Schoools with less than 2,000 UG Enrollment:

Presbyterian College - Clinton, SC - 1,133
Wofford College - Spartanburg, SC - 1,514
Virginia Military Institute - Lexington, VA - 1,569
Saint Francis University - Loretto, PA - 1,585
Davidson College - Davidson, NC - 1,738
Wagner College - Staten Island, NY - 1,741
Mississippi Valley State University - Itta Bena, MS - 1,973
Source: Equity in Athletics

danefan
May 22nd, 2012, 06:48 PM
By counter status, does that mean the number of scholarships a school must offer in order for a FBS school to count a win over them for bowl eligibility?

Yes

DFW HOYA
May 22nd, 2012, 07:21 PM
Mississippi Valley State University - Itta Bena, MS - 1,973

There's a political football all its own. The school struggles to stay afloat, but any attempt to merge it with JSU or drop to D-II draws a firestorm.

(MVSU lost $8 million on an athletic budget of just $4 million last year.)

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20120515/SPORTS030105/205150316/Division-not-MVSU-finds-ways-survive

hebmskebm
May 23rd, 2012, 05:14 PM
Exactly. I don't see SFPA or Wagner (which is just as small) giving up on Football. If places like Presby, Wofford, and Davidson can keep a team, so can St. Francis.

FCS Schoools with less than 2,000 UG Enrollment:

Source: Equity in Athletics

I don't see St. Francis dropping the sport altogether either (i've always been a proponent of the idea that any football is better than no football). I just listed it as a potential option. But you'd be crazy to think they're not looking at the PFL (more likely) or dropping everything down to DII (far less likely) as fallback alternatives than trying to compete with counter status schools year in year out when they've struggled for so long to compete as it is.