PDA

View Full Version : THE COUNTDOWN HAS BEGUN! 100 DAYS TO GO!!!

bonarae
May 21st, 2012, 11:14 PM
For today, I would like you to provide a biography of your school's current Head Coach. I'll start with Harvard's Tim Murphy:

By any measure, Tim Murphy has led Harvard's storied football program to its most prosperous and successful era since the early 20th century - a trend he hopes to continue into 2012-13 as he enters his 19th year as the Thomas Stephenson Family Head Coach for Harvard Football.

One of the game's finest teachers and motivators, Murphy took charge of the Harvard program prior to the 1994 season and has since led the program to a dominant state within the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS).

He is the first Harvard coach since the legendary Percy Haughton to lead the Crimson to two unbeaten, untied seasons in his tenure. In 2011, Murphy became Harvard's all-time winningest football coach, surpassing the legendary Joe Restic with a victory at Columbia. The victory was part of an undefeated Ivy League season, the program's 14th league title and sixth under Murphy, and a 9-1 overall record.

In 2011, Harvard clinched the outright championship before the final week of the season for the first time in program history, doing so after a 37-20 victory against Penn on Nov. 12 with the Crimson scoring its most points against Penn since 1981.

A week later, with a decree that nobody would earn a championship ring without a victory in The Game, Harvard pounded Yale at Yale Bowl, 45-7 to earn its 10th victory over the Bulldogs in the last 11 years while recording the widest margin of victory since 1982.

The season marked Harvard's Ivy League-record 11th-straight season with at least seven wins – with no other Ivy team even having seven such seasons. All nine of Harvard's victories came by double figures with eight of the wins coming by at least 14 points. Murphy was honored as the New England Head Coach of the Year by the Gridiron Club of Greater Boston and was a finalist for the Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year award.

In 2012, Murphy will serve as President of the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA). He has presented at several high-profile events including the coaching clinics at Notre Dame and USC. In 2010, Murphy was part of a small envoy of college head coaches to visit American service men and women overseas as part of third-annual USO/ Morale Entertainment Coaches Tour 2010. Murphy went on a week-long trip that included stops at McConnell and Scott Air Force bases before going oversees for visits to eight countries in nine days with visits to bases and vessels among others.

In 2009, Harvard football put the finishing touches on a decade that saw Harvard post the second highest national winning percentage in the FCS and seventh highest in all of Division I. Harvard's .768 winning percentage (76-23) from 2000-09 trailed only Montana while Football Bowl Subdivision schools Texas, Boise State, Oklahoma, Ohio State and Florida were the only schools to finish ahead of Murphy's Crimson. Rounding out the national top 10 in the decade was Louisiana State University, Southern California and Appalachian State.

Just the fourth head coach to man the Harvard sideline in the last 57 years, Murphy enters the 2012 season with a 120-59 record with the Crimson. His overall head coaching record stands at 152-104-1 through 25 years, including five seasons as head coach at Cincinnati and two at Maine.

Every four-year player recruited by Murphy to Harvard has taken part in at least one Ivy League championship.

In accumulating a 7-3 record in 2010, Harvard continued its streak of seven-win seasons and with its 11th such season in the book after 2011, Harvard continues the program's best 11-year run since a 28-year stretch of seven-plus win seasons came to an end in 1911.

Murphy and Restic have rewritten Harvard's storied football records and the two coaches weere closely linked, remaining close until Restic's passing in December, 2011. In the spring of 2008, Murphy joined Restic as Harvard coaches to be honored with the National Football Foundation Eastern Chapter's Ron Burton Distinguished America Award, given to a former football player who has carried the lessons learned on the field to his larger community.

Murphy has guided the Crimson to five outright, and six overall, Ivy League titles in the past 15 years. The 2001 Harvard squad posted its first undefeated, untied campaign since 1913, while the 2004 team went a step further by going 10-0 to mark the first perfect season with at least 10 wins since 1901. Murphy's 1997 Crimson also won the Ivy title, which was Harvard's first in 10 years. In a game that will go down in history as one of equal importance and dominance, the 2007 championship season was capped by a 37-6 victory at Yale against a previously undefeated Bulldog team that was highly ranked in both total offense and defense.

The 2006 season saw Murphy's Harvard squad log another program first as the Crimson registered wins against the Ivy League and Patriot League champions for the first time in the same season in school history.

The 2004 season, meanwhile, stands as arguably the Crimson's finest in more than 100 years. The Crimson went 10-0 on the year and had an average margin of victory of 20.5 points. Harvard scored at least 31 points in nine of the 10 games, had a double-digit winning margin in eight games, held its last six opponents to 14 points or less, dealt two shutouts and allowed just one touchdown in the last three games.

Tim Murphy with his family (from left) Grace, Martha, Conor and Molly.

Harvard finished the year as the only undefeated school in the FCS and one of just five unbeatens in all of college football (along with Southern California, Auburn and Utah from the FBS and Linfield from Division III). The Crimson finished the season ranked No. 13 in the final Sports Network Division I-AA national poll and the ESPN/USA Today poll, marking Harvard's highest finish in the national rankings since the formation of the Division I-AA polls. Harvard's final Sagarin Rating stood 37th among the 239 Division I football schools, ahead of Minnesota, Brigham Young, Clemson, Stanford, Maryland, Alabama, Nebraska, Syracuse, Michigan State and Penn State, among others.

Murphy saw two Harvard players achieve All-America status and one earn Academic All-America recognition in 2004, while the Crimson had 15 players, the most in school history, named All-Ivy League. Harvard's starting quarterback, Ryan Fitzpatrick ’05, was tabbed as the league's player of the year and went on to play in the East-West Shrine Game and the Hula Bowl.

Murphy himself was named the American Football Monthly Division I-AA national coach of the year and was a finalist for the Eddie Robinson Award. He was named the New England Division I-AA coach of the year for the fourth time in his career.

Murphy's 2001 Harvard squad finished 9-0 overall and 7-0 in the Ivies, and was ranked No. 19 in the final Sports Network poll. Harvard committed just nine turnovers, averaged 445.0 yards in offense and scored at least four touchdowns in every game. Murphy was both New England Division I-AA coach of the year and Grid Iron Club of Boston I-AA coach of the year, and received AFCA District I coach-of-the-year honors. He was also a finalist for the Eddie Robinson Award.

The 2008 season culminated in Harvard's fifth Ivy League championship under Murphy (13th overall), its second consecutive Ivy crown and the third in five seasons. The 2008 Crimson finished the year ranked 14th in the FCS Coaches Poll and continued a tradition of winning never before seen in the storied Ivy League.

Previously, Murphy led Harvard to the 1997 Ivy championship, when his squad finished 9-1 overall and 7-0 in league play. It marked the first time in school history that the Crimson had posted a perfect Ivy record. Murphy was named the Scotty Whitelaw ECAC Division I-AA coach of the year and New England coach of the year.

Since 1994, Harvard has had 76 first team All-Ivy selections, five Ivy rookies of the year, six Ivy players of the year, six first team All-Americans and sent 21 players on to pro football, including five-time All-Pro Matt Birk ’98 of the Baltimore Ravens. In addition, 10 of his players have received national academic recognition (either CoSIDA Academic All-America or the FCS All-Academic Team). Before sending two players to the 2008 CoSIDA Academic All-American team in 2008, Harvard had a national-best six players recognized on the All-District 1 team.

Murphy, past president of the FCS (Division I-AA) Coaches Association and a member of the Division I-AA Football board of trustees, is Harvard's first endowed coach. In October 1994, Thomas F. Stephenson ’64 M.B.A. ’66 established a $2 million endowment fund that supports the head football coach in much the same way that an endowed chair supports a professor. Stephenson chose to name the fund for members of his family, who have been active participants in the Harvard community for four generations.

Murphy was named head football coach at Harvard Dec. 6, 1993. He came from the University of Cincinnati, where that fall he had directed the Division I-A Bearcats to their finest record in 17 years. Murphy's first head coaching position was at the University of Maine, where, in 1987, he led the Black Bears to their first NCAA Division I-AA playoff berth.

At Cincinnati, Murphy led the Bearcats to an 8-3 record in 1993, their first winning campaign since 1982 and the school's best overall mark since 1976 (9-2). Cincinnati was the fourth-most improved team in Division I-A (an increase of five wins over 1992), and finished the regular season ranked 27th in the country in the USA Today/CNN poll and 28th in the AP poll. It was the program's highest ranking in school history at the time.

This success came after Murphy inherited a program that had a condemned stadium, no practice facilities and the loss of 19 scholarships after being placed on probation for infractions incurred by the previous coaching staff. He attained all of his short-term goals, including: NCAA compliance, an improved graduation rate, reconstructing the strength and conditioning program and development of a successful major college team. When Murphy took over at Cincinnati in 1989, he was only 32 years old and was the youngest Division I head coach in the nation (along with Dave Rader at Tulsa).

While improvement was consistent throughout his tenure, it all came together in 1993. In that summer, Cincinnati was recognized by the College Football Association for being one of only 20 Division I schools to graduate a minimum of 70 percent of its most recent recruiting class. On the field, the Bearcats had their third-highest point total in school history (302), and set school marks for offensive plays, first downs and fewest turnovers. In addition, Cincinnati won that year's Independent Football Alliance championship (which included then-independents Memphis, East Carolina, Tulsa and Southern Mississippi).

Murphy started his head coaching career at Maine, in 1987 and 1988, when he became the youngest head coach in the country (at age 30) upon succeeding current Dartmouth head coach Buddy Teevens. His first team finished with an 8-4 record (the Black Bears' finest record in 23 years), shared the Yankee Conference title, and advanced to the NCAA Division I-AA tournament for the first time in school history. For those accomplishments, Murphy was named Division I-AA New England coach of the year and was the AFCA Northeast Region coach of the year.

Murphy also has extensive experience as an assistant coach. He was the offensive coordinator at Maine in 1985 and 1986, when the Black Bears both rushed and passed for more than 2,000 yards in the same season for the first time in school history. He was the offensive line coach at Boston University for three seasons, from 1982 through 1984, and helped the Terriers to Yankee Conference titles and NCAA Division I-AA playoff berths each year. Murphy was also the defensive line coach at Lafayette in 1981, working under Bill Russo when the Leopards posted their best record in school history (9-2), just one season after the squad went 1-10.

Murphy began his coaching career as a part-time assistant at Brown in 1979 and was promoted to assistant varsity offensive line coach the following season. A native of Kingston, Mass., Murphy graduated from Silver Lake High School in 1974. He then attended Springfield College, where he became a four-year starter and was a small college All-New England linebacker as a senior, and graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in 1978. Murphy earned his M.Ed. from Springfield the following year, did additional postgraduate work at Boston University and was accepted to the J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Business at Northwestern and the Colgate Darden School of Business at Virginia.

Murphy was chosen to sit on the board of trustees of the American Football Coaches Association in January 2005 and was named to Springfield's All-Decade Team in 2006. In October, 2007, the night following Harvard's 27-10 victory over Princeton, Murphy was inducted into the Springfield College Athletic Hall of Fame.

Murphy resides in Wayland with his wife, Martha Kennedy Murphy, and the couple's three children: Molly Kennedy, Conor Timothy and Grace Katharine.

BisonFan02
May 21st, 2012, 11:36 PM
NDSU's Craig Bohl courtesy of gobison.com:

North Dakota State head football coach Craig Bohl led the Bison to the program’s first NCAA Division I Football Championship with a 17-6 win over Sam Houston State on Jan. 7, 2012, and the Missouri Valley Football Conference title. NDSU tied the school record for wins with a 14-1 ledger and posted a 7-1 record in the MVFC.

The Bison had the Fargodome rocking with each of the three home NCAA playoff games, sending the decibel levels off the chart. The NDSU faithful then took Frisco, Texas, by storm for the national championship game. North Dakota State’s stingy defense allowed only 27 points in four playoff games, while the balanced offense featured a pair of 1,000-yard running backs and 1,000-yard wide receiver.

Bohl was named to the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) Board of Trustees by vote of the membership at the organization’s 2012 convention. A finalist for the Eddie Robinson award, Bohl was named the 2011 AFCA Region 4 FCS and MVFC Bruce Craddock Coach of the Year.

Entering his 10th season, the tireless Bohl has a 75-31 record including a 16-8 record against nationally-ranked FCS teams, a 6-1 record in the FCS playoffs and 5-3 mark against Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) teams over the past six seasons -- including a 37-24 win at Minnesota in the 2011.

With the 75 wins, Bohl is second all-time at the school behind Rocky Hager. History was made in 2010 when he directed the tradition-rich program to a first-ever NCAA FCS playoff appearance -- dropping a 38-31 overtime decision at eventual national champion Eastern Washington in the quarterfinals. NDSU also hosted its first NCAA postseason game against Robert Morris in the Fargodome.

The Bison compiled a 9-5 record in 2010, a dramatic turnaround from the 3-8 ledger the year before. NDSU finished 4-4 and tied for third in the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

Since making the move to Division I FCS, the football program’s performance on the field with the West Coast offense and aggressive defense has rekindled the excitement in the Fargo-Moorhead community, state of North Dakota and the region.

NDSU’s average home attendance in the Fargodome has grown from 11,567 in 2003 to a school record 18,143 achieved in 2011. There have been 10 sellouts over the past six seasons. Capacity is listed at 18,700. The Bison are 44-11 at home over the past nine years.

North Dakota State has been ranked in The Sport Network or FCS Coaches Top 25 for 79 weeks since jumping to Division I in 2004. The Bison held down the No. 1 ranking in the FCS Coaches Top 25 for three weeks in 2011, and 10 weeks over the 2007-08 seasons. NDSU was ranked 1st in both Top 25 polls in the final 2011 regular season ranking.

Since his arrival, North Dakota State has had eight players earn 11 Academic All-America team honors. Thirteen different players have received All-America honors. A Bison student-athlete has been selected to the Allstate/AFCA Good Works team six times over the past eight years.

NDSU finished with a 10-1 record for the second straight season in 2007 including a 3-1 ledger in the Great West Football Conference. The Bison held down the No. 1 spot in the FCS Coaches Top 25 poll for seven weeks during the regular season. NDSU posted road wins over a pair of Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS, formerly I-A) opponents -- Central Michigan, two-time champions of the Mid-American Conference, and Minnesota (27-21) of the Big Ten Conference before 63,088 fans at the Metrodome.

Bohl was again a finalist for The Sports Network’s Eddie Robinson FCS Coach of the Year award. The Bison were No. 9 in the final Sports Network and FCS Coaches top 25 polls.
The 2006 season was magical. NDSU claimed its first league championship in 12 seasons and achieved a top five finish in the national rankings. The Bison were 10-1 overall, just a blocked field goal away from a perfect record.

North Dakota State went 4-0 to win the Great West Football Conference championship -- the program’s first since 1994 when NDSU was a member of the Division II North Central Conference.

The Bison charted an 8-0 record against FCS schools in 2006 including a 3-0 mark against nationally-ranked opponents.

North Dakota State was ranked No. 5 in The Sports Network and CSN Coaches final Top 25 polls. The Bison lost 10-9 to bowl-participant Minnesota of the Big Ten before 62,845 spectators at the Metrodome.

It didn’t go unnoticed. Bohl was selected the GWFC Coach of the Year by vote of the media and coaches. He received 29 first place votes and finished second in the balloting for The Sports Network’s Eddie Robinson Award that recognizes the FCS Coach of the Year. Bohl was selected the Football Gazette FCS National and Northwest Region Coach of the Year.

In 2005, he directed the Bison to a 7-4 record. NDSU was ranked in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches and The Sports Network Top 25 polls for 10-of-12 weeks during the regular season climbing as high as No. 8 in both polls on Sept. 19.

Charter members of the Great West, North Dakota State won its final three league games to finish with a 3-2 record and tie for third place in the standings.

Bohl started his NDSU career with back-to-back 8-3 seasons. The Bison closed out the 2004 campaign with three straight wins including victories over nationally-ranked Northwestern State (La.) and UC Davis.

North Dakota State was ranked No. 23 in the final 2004 ESPN/USA Today and The Sports Network Top 25 polls to highlight their first season at NCAA Division I-AA.

His first season was highlighted by North Dakota State’s stunning 25-24 road win over perennial Division I-AA power Montana in just his second game at the helm.

Bohl fits the successful profile of Bison leaders of the past. He is articulate, high-energy, experienced, successful and charismatic.

His first full-time coaching position was as the defensive secondary coach for the Bison under Don Morton in 1984 when NDSU finished second in the nation with a 12-1 record.

After that Bohl coached on the Division I level for 18 seasons including stops at five different universities. He was the linebackers coach at Tulsa for two seasons (1985-86), the linebackers coach at Wisconsin for two seasons (1987-88), the defensive coordinator at Rice for five seasons (1989-93), the linebackers coach and defensive coordinator at Duke for one season (1994), and the linebackers coach at Nebraska for eight years. The final three seasons at Nebraska also included the defensive coordinator duties.

His seasons at Nebraska included a number of Top 10 defensive national rankings for a team that compiled an 85-18 record including national championships with a Fiesta Bowl win in 1995 and an Orange Bowl win 1997. At Duke, he helped mold one of the biggest turnarounds in college football, working with a program that posted an 8-4 record in 1994 after the Blue Devils had gone 3-8 the year before his arrival. A number of athletes who have played for Bohl while at Nebraska have played or been drafted in the National Football League.

A native of Lincoln, Nebraska, he was a reserve in the Cornhusker secondary from 1977 through 1979 under Tom Osborne and played on NU’s 1979 Orange Bowl and 1980 Cotton Bowl teams. He holds a bachelor’s degree in business administration from Nebraska (1982).

Bohl and his wife, Leia, reside in Fargo. He has twin daughters, Mallory and Morgan, and a son, Aaron.

mvemjsunpx
May 22nd, 2012, 12:06 AM
http://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/61898142627216946852.jpg

Mick Delaney
1st. Season (interim)
69 Years Old
Western Montana College (Montana Western) '64
Butte, MT
Butte Central HS

Overall Record (total): 5-11-1
Overall Record (@ UM): 0-0
Big Sky Record: 0-0
FCS Playoff Record: 0-0

Previous Coaching Experience

Head Coach (?) - Butte Central HS (1964-67)
Assistant Coach - Montana (1968)
Head Coach - Great Falls HS (1969-75)
Assistant Coach - Montana St. (1976-80)
Athletic Director - Montana Tech (1983-85)
Head Coach & AD - Montana Western (1991-92)
RBs - Colorado St. (1993-07)
RBs - Montana (2008)
RBs & Assistant HC - Montana (2009-11)
Interim Head Coach - Montana (2012-present)

crossfire07
May 22nd, 2012, 04:42 AM
That was a well written article BisonFan02.

Tribe4SF
May 22nd, 2012, 07:15 AM
http://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/14261545536522143009.jpg

Head Coach Jimmye Laycock

Few schools feature a better match at the helm of its program than the College of William and Mary has with Jimmye Laycock. In a tenure that now stretches into its fourth decade, Laycock has worked hand-in-hand with the College's world-class academic tradition to fashion a program that is a point of pride for the campus, alumni and community.

On June 21, 2008, the College dedicated the $11 million Jimmye Laycock Football Center with a ceremony that featured more than 500 friends and alumni of the program. While the building carries his name and stands as a strong symbol of what Laycock has meant to the Tribe, it makes a stronger statement about the school's commitment to football and the program's proud tradition. The state-of-the-art center provides the College with one of the finest facilities in the Football Championship Subdivision and, paired with Laycock's steady leadership, gives the Tribe the necessary resources to compete at the highest level.
As the architect of what is easily the most extended run of success in William and Mary's 117-year football history, Laycock has never compromised academic standards for athletic success, as his program earned recognition from the NCAA in each of the first seven seasons the organization has awarded outstanding academic achievement. When Laycock, a 1970 grad, returned to coach his alma mater prior to the 1980 season, he inherited a program that had won six or more games in a season just four times in the previous 25 years. Few could have predicted that the College would produce four times that amount of seven-win seasons over the next 30-plus seasons.

The accumulated successes, both on and off the field, have led to an era of unprecedented interest and support for his program. Evidence of this is provided in the fact the Tribe averaged more than 10,000 fans per game during the last six seasons. Last fall, W&M averaged a modern-day single-season record 11,014 fans per game, marking the third consecutive year in which W&M broke its single-season attendance figure.

During Laycock's tenure, the fans at Zable have consistently been treated to a winner on the field, as the program's mentor ranks in the top 10 of all active FCS head coaches in terms of career wins. Laycock is also second among active conference head coaches in career league wins with 91.

Laycock has made the home turf in Zable Stadium into unfriendly territory for opponents as the Tribe has won 71.1 percent of its games (114-46-1) in Williamsburg in the last 28 years. During that impressive stretch, W&M has turned in nine undefeated regular season home campaigns.

Individual accomplishments under Laycock have been plentiful, as he has also tutored 36 players to 97 All-America honors from the William and Mary ranks and has coached 11 Academic All-Americans. Former quarterback Lang Campbell is one of the most honored, as the 2004 season saw him earn the prestigious Payton Award, given annually to the nation's top offensive player in the FCS ranks, consensus first team All-America honors, as well as the A-10's Offensive Player of the Year and Scholar-Athlete of the Year. With nine all-league recognitions in 2011, the Tribe has produced an astounding 185 all-conference selections since 1993. Former All-American running back Jonathan Grimes accounted for 11 of those honors, as he became the most decorated player in conference history last fall.

While Laycock has accumulated tremendous success throughout his storied career, some of the highlights have come in the recent past. The 2010 season was especially remarkable for several reasons, not the least of which is that the team finished the regular season as CAA Co-Champions and earned the nation's No. 2 overall seed for the NCAA Playoffs. Additionally, the Tribe defeated three top-10 teams in the regular season (including knocking off No. 1, No. 2 and No. 8 in the span of five weeks). It reached a school-record No. 1 national ranking on the Nov. 8 Sports Network Poll and went on to finish in the top 10 in the final poll. All of this success came despite the fact William and Mary was forced to shuffle THREE different QBs into the starting line-up, due to injury. For his efforts, Laycock was named as the AFCA Region I Coach of the Year.

The 2009 campaign was exceptionally remarkable journey for the College's faithful, as well. The Tribe equaled a school record with 11 victories and advanced to the NCAA Semifinals for the second time in school history. En route to being ranked as high as third nationally in the final polls, the College led the nation in rushing defense by surrendering just 61.14 yards per game - a school record. Additionally, W&M ranked second nationally in total defense (229.79) and scoring defense (12.07), while it ranked third in sacks (3.43) and eighth in tackles for a loss (8.00). Laycock also became part of the exclusive 200-win club as he became just the 13 FCS head coach to reach the milestone with the NCAA Quarterfinal victory at top-ranked Southern Illinois.

Prior to the '09 season, the 2004 campaign highlighted Laycock's resume as W&M established the school record for wins (11), won the Atlantic 10 Football Conference's (now CAA) automatic NCAA bid, hosted a NCAA semifinal game before a standing room only crowd at Zable Stadium in front of a national television audience and finished the year with a school-record No. 3 final national ranking. Along the way, a bevy of school single-season records fell; total points (486), total yards (6,044) and home wins (seven), to name just a few.

But, none of these achievements spoke more succinctly to Laycock's approach than the program's 100 percent official NCAA graduation-rate report for all student-athletes receiving athletics aid in 2004. This showed W&M graduated all of its scholarship football players who entered the program as freshmen during the 1997-98 school year. The Tribe not only carried the highest graduation rate in the conference, but also was far and away the top figure of any team ranked in the final national top 25 for that season. To prove this lofty number was no fluke, the team repeated the feat just two years later, as the 1999-2001 cohort also graduated at 100 percent.

When looking at the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision, the Tribe's stellar 198-97-2 (.670) record against fellow FCS foes during Laycock's career also confirms the success of his formula. The College also boasts an 91-63 mark in league play.

The 2001 campaign stood as a testament to Laycock's program's stability, as the team rebounded from a then nine-year low 5-6 record in 2000 to post an 8-4 mark, claiming a share of the Atlantic 10 Crown and earning a spot in the NCAA Division I-AA Playoffs.

The 1996 campaign is another prime example of how Laycock has perpetuated a winning tradition within W&M's rigorous classroom standards, as he led a youth-laden squad to a quarterfinal showing in the NCAA playoffs, a 10-3 overall record (7-1 in league play), the Tribe's first Yankee Conference Championship (now CAA), and a fifth-place national ranking.

One trademark of a Laycock-coached team is a prolific and intricate offensive attack. The Tribe offense has averaged nearly 400 yards a game during Laycock's 32 years at the helm of the program.

Prior to the deep playoff runs in recent years, the 1990 season stood as the benchmark for the Tribe program. That season, Laycock was honored by his peers as Coach of the Year in Region II and the state of Virginia for guiding the Tribe to 10 wins and an appearance in the quarterfinals of the Division I-AA playoffs.

That 1990 squad, ranked No. 7 in the final NCAA poll, refashioned many pages in the school record book. W&M led the country in total offense by averaging almost 500 yards per game and claimed the Lambert Cup for I-AA supremacy in the East. Even the Virginia General Assembly passed a resolution commending Laycock's accomplishments. The Tribe's 1996 squad led the conference in both total offense and defense en route to earning its own Lambert Cup and ECAC Team of the Year honors.

After some lean years early in his tenure, Laycock's teams began building respectability among all opponents. After a pair of 6-5 seasons, W&M carved out a 7-4 mark in 1985 and a national ranking of No. 16. The winning ways continued in 1986 with a 9-3 record and an eighth-place final ranking. In that season, the Tribe advanced to the I-AA playoffs for the first time and had three players drafted by the NFL.

Although William and Mary dipped to a 5-6 slate in 1987, the Tribe recovered to post a 6-4-1 overall record in 1988. That memorable season climaxed with a trip to Japan and a 73-3 victory over the Japanese College All-Stars in the first Epson Ivy Bowl. The Tribe returned to the NCAAs in 1989 with an 8-2-1 regular season record.

The Tribe is well represented in the pro ranks, as four players joined NFL teams in the summer of 2011 when running back Jonathan Grimes (Houston Texans), tight end Alex Gottlieb (Detroit Lions) and defensive end Marcus Hyde (Washington Redskins) signed free agent deals, while linebacker Jake Trantin was invited to the Cincinnati Bengals rookie mini camp. The quartet joined a group of five other former W&M standouts who were on NFL rosters in 2011: David Caldwell (Indianapoli Colts), Derek Cox (Jacksonville Jaguars), Mike Leach (Arizona Cardinals), Sean Lissemore (Dallas Cowboys), and Adrian Tracy (New York Giants).

In 2009, Tracy was a sixth-round selection by the Giants, while the Cowboys drafted Lissemore in the seventh round. Caldwell, quarterback R.J. Archer (Minnesota Vikings) and wide receiver D.J. McAulay also joined NFL teams that spring when they signed free agent deals. One-year earlier, 2008 team captain Derek Cox was drafted in the third round of the 2009 NFL Draft by the Jacksonville Jaguars. Four-time Pro Bowl free safety Darren Shaper was the highest selected Tribe player in the NFL Draft, as the Green Bay Packers chose him in the second round in 1997.

The College has had a total of 14 players sign free agent contracts after their senior season since the end of the 2004: Lang Campbell (2005, Cleveland Browns), Dominique Thomspon (2005, St. Louis Rams), Adam O'Connor (2007, Carolina Panthers), Drew Atchison (2008, Dallas Cowboys), Mike Potts (2008, Pittsburgh Steelers), Grimes (2011, Houston Texans), Gottlieb (2011, Detroit Lions) and Marcus Hyde (2011, Washington Redskins).

Former all-conference defensive back Billy Parker and all-conference quarterback R.J. Archer continue to play professionally as well. Parker is a starting cornerback for two-time Canadian League Football Champion Montreal Alouettes, while Archer starts for the Georgia Force in the Arena Football League.

In addition to producing a number of professional standouts, a number of Laycock's former players have gone on to accomplish tremendous success as NFL coaches. The most prominent of those is Mike Tomlin ('95), who became the youngest head coach to win a Super Bowl in NFL history when he guided the Pittsburgh Steelers to the title in 2009. Sean McDermott ('98) currently serves as the Carolina Panthers Defensive Coordinator, while Alan Williams ('92) is the Minnesota Vikings Defensive Coordinator. Additionally, Michael Clemons ('87) was one of the CFL's most explosive players after a brief stint in the NFL and currently holds the position of Vice Chair for the Toronto Argonauts.

As a 1970 graduate of the College, Laycock played football under two gurus of the game. For three years, he learned the details under the watchful eyes of Marv Levy, the legendary former head coach of the Buffalo Bills. In his last season, Hall of Fame coach Lou Holtz schooled Laycock in the finer aspects of psyche and motivation. As a sophomore, Laycock was a starter in the defensive secondary, but he was soon switched to quarterback where he completed 96 of 218 career passes for 1,366 yards.

Laycock's first full-time coaching position came at The Citadel as the offensive backfield coach under Bobby Ross, who went on to coach the NFL's San Diego Chargers and Detroit Lions. In 1975, Memphis State tabbed Laycock as its quarterback's coach and he helped the Tigers to consecutive 7-4 records.

In 1977, Laycock traveled to Clemson to serve as offensive coordinator for three years. During his tenure, he helped the Tigers fashion records of 8-3-1, 11-1 and 8-4. Clemson played bowl games in each year, defeating Ohio State 17-15 in the 1978 Gator Bowl. At that time, Laycock coached two-time All-ACC performer Steve Fuller, the Tiger quarterback who later played in the NFL, and Dwight Clark, an All-Pro receiver for the San Francisco 49ers.

A native Virginian, Laycock played football, basketball and baseball at Loudoun Valley High School, where he won 12 letters and has since had his number retired and been inducted into the school's Athletics Hall of Fame. Laycock was also inducted into the Hampton Roads Sports Hall of Fame in the fall of 2010. He was inducted alongside local boxing legend, Pernell "Sweat Pea" Whitaker and NFL All-Pro defensive back Kenny Easley, among others.

Laycock is married to Deidre Connelly, a sports psychology consultant at the College. They have three children: Michael, Mimi and James.

Laycock's daughter Melanie is married to Doug Johnson and is a school administrator in Atlanta, Ga. The couple has a 2-year-old daughter, Grail.

TheRevSFA
May 22nd, 2012, 07:18 AM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/sasu/sports/genrel/auto_headshot/1079461.jpeg

JC Harper (this is the write up from last year. This season's hasn't been updated)

SFA head coach J.C. Harper is entering his fifth season at the helm of the Lumberjack football program. During Harper's short time as the head coach, SFA has risen to a level never before witnessed in program history.

The Lumberjacks posted a 9-3 (.750) overall record and won their second-straight Southland Conference title in 2010. It marked the first time in conference history that SFA has won back-to-back conference titles. The 'Jacks recorded their second-straight top-10 national ranking, and advanced to the NCAA FCS playoffs for a second consecutive season where they hosted Villanova. It was also the second-straight year that SFA led the nation in passing.

The Lumberjacks dominated the All-SLC teams, placing a league-best 21 players on the all-conference squad, including nine first-team selections. Among the nine first-teams selections five earned All-America honors. Following the season SLC Player of the Year Jeremy Moses was named the 2010 Walter Payton Award winner, becoming the first player in school and conference history to receive the player of the year award, which came on the heels of a season that saw him become the conference's all-time leading quarterback and set a new NCAA FCS record for completions.

Linebacker Jabara Williams became the second Lumberjack in the past three years to be drafted when he was selected by the St. Louis Rams in the seventh round of the 2011 NFL draft. It marked the third consecutive season that SFA has had a player either be drafted or sign a contract with an NFL franchise.

All of this coming on the heels of a 2009 season that saw the program's first conference title in 10 years, a berth in the NCAA FCS playoffs and a top-10 national ranking. It was the second-biggest single-season turnaround at the NCAA FCS level, and the fourth-best turnaround at the NCAA Division I level.

Following the '09 campaign Harper was recognized for his efforts being named the SLC Coach of the Year, and finishing second by only two points for the Eddie Robinson National Coach of the Year award.

It was the first time in 10 years a Lumberjack squad had earned the SLC Championship trophy, and it was the program's first trip to the FCS playoffs since the 1995 season. Harper led SFA to double-digit wins for only the fourth time in school history, and the first time since its playoff run during the 1995 campaign. Throughout the course of the record-setting 2009 campaign, the 'Jacks recorded victories over three nationally ranked opponents, including two ranked among the nation's top 10.

The 2009 campaign saw 20 Lumberjacks named to the All-SLC teams, including five first-team selections. Along with the all-conference teams quarterback Jeremy Moses was named SLC Player of the Year, defensive end Tim Knicky was named defensive player of the year and corner back Andre Banks received league newcomer of the year honors. The accolades didn't stop at the conference level. Twelve Lumberjacks earned All-America recognition last season, including five first-team selections.

Harper is in his seventh season with the Lumberjack football program, and his fifth as the 'Jacks' head coach. Harper was named the school's 18th head coach in December 2006.

During his first season as head coach, Harper guided the 'Jacks through a season that saw its roster get decimated by injuries. After an injury-free offseason, the 'Jacks were beset by injuries in the season-opener losing five players that included four starters, three All-SLC selections and an All-American, not to mention the team's top three running backs. By season's end, injuries forced the 'Jacks' to utilize 12 different players at running back.

In his second campaign as the head coach, Harper revitalized the program with a new-look offense, along with a new offensive and defensive coordinator. The changes were exactly what the doctor ordered. SFA improved by four games in the win column, the offense recorded several SFA, SLC and NCAA records, while several Lumberjacks garnered national attention for their efforts on the field.

Harper's athletes have reaped the benefits of his time as head coach. Over the course of the past three seasons 55 SFA athletes have earned All-SLC honors, including 17 first-team selections and 34 have received All-America honors. In addition to that, Harper has produced two players of the year, two league newcomers of the year, two defensive players of the year and an SLC offensive player of the year.

Harper came to Nacogdoches as the defensive coordinator prior to the 2005 season. In his first year, Harper was given the task of guiding a youthful defense through the rigors of one of the nation's toughest schedules. During his second year on the job, Harper began to see some of the fruits of his labor. Harper turned a defense that finished near the bottom in every statistical category in 2005, into the most effective defenses in the league. SFA led the SLC in scoring defense, rush defense and total defense during league games in 2006.

A 21-year veteran of collegiate coaching, Harper was at Western Michigan prior to joining the SFA staff. He was the defensive coordinator for coach Gary Darnell in 2004 and served as the defensive line coach in 2003. His defensive line was ranked third-best in the MAC in 2003. He also coached Jason Babin, a first-round draft pick of the Houston Texans, while at WMU.

Prior to Western Michigan, Harper spent four seasons as an assistant in the SLC helping Northwestern State and McNeese State to three playoff appearances. Harper was the defensive coordinator and assistant head coach for Scott Stoker at Northwestern State in 2002 when the Demons posted a 9-4 record and earned an FCS playoff spot. The Demons were first in the SLC in total defense in 2002, giving up only 276.6 yards per game.

Harper also spent a season as the defensive coordinator at Southwest Missouri State in 1997 and served an earlier stint as the defensive line coach at Western Michigan in 1996. He spent four seasons as the defensive line coach at Southwest Missouri State from 1992-96.

Following a four-year playing career at Clemson, where the Tigers won three ACC Championships, Harper began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at North Carolina under Mack Brown. He later served two seasons as a graduate assistant for coach Lou Holtz at Notre Dame.

breezy
May 22nd, 2012, 07:42 AM
Here is the 2011 bio (not yet updated for 2012) for HOLY CROSS head coach TOM GILMORE:

Tom Gilmore is in his eighth season as the head football coach at the College of the Holy Cross in 2011. The Crusaders stand 36-20 overall and 22-8 in the Patriot League over the last five seasons under Gilmore’s leadership, both of which are the best marks in the conference during that time frame. Gilmore has also coached three-time Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year and three-time Walter Payton Award finalist Dominic Randolph.

In 2010, Gilmore led the Crusaders to their sixth straight winning season with an overall record of 6-5, including a 4-2 mark against Patriot League foes. As a team, Holy Cross led the league in kickoff returns (24.1 yards/return) and punt returns (15.9 yards/return), while standing third in scoring offense (22.6), passing offense (224.0 yards/game) and net punting (34.3 yards/punt). Eleven different Crusaders earned All-Patriot League honors at the conclusion of the season, including six first team selections.

During the 2009 campaign, Gilmore led Holy Cross to its first Patriot League championship since 1991, with an overall mark of 9-3 and a 5-1 record in conference play. The Crusaders also advanced to the NCAA Playoffs for only the second time in school history, suffering a narrow 38-28 road loss to eventual national champion Villanova in the first round. Gilmore’s 2009 team led the Patriot League in scoring offense (32.2 points/game), net punting (35.0 yards/punt) and punt returns (9.5 yards/return), while ranking fourth in the nation in passing offense (314.9 yards/game) and sixth in total offense (433.6 yards/game).

As the conclusion of the 2009 campaign, two of Gilmore’s players were named All-Americans, while the Crusaders totaled 15 All-Patriot League selections and four spots on the All-New England team. In addition, he was named the Patriot League Coach of the Year and the New England Coach of the Year, and was a finalist for the Eddie Robinson Award and the Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year award.

In 2008, Gilmore’s Crusaders posted an overall record of 7-4 and finished second in the Patriot League with a 5-1 conference record. Holy Cross led the league in scoring offense (34.4 points/game), passing offense (348.9 yards/game) and total offense (455.4 yards/game), while ranking first in the nation in first downs (25.9 first downs/game). In 2008, Gilmore had 11 players named All-Patriot League and four players selected All-New England.

During the 2007 campaign, Gilmore led Holy Cross to an overall mark of 7-4, while placing second in the Patriot League at 4-2. The Crusaders led the conference in in total offense (463.4 yards/game), scoring offense (35.9 points/game), passing offense (335.2 yards/game), turnover margin (+1.0 turnovers/game) and pass efficiency (140.0 rating), while standing second in pass defense (183.8 yards/game) and pass efficiency defense (117.0 rating). Seven of Gilmore’s players earned All-Conference honors in 2007, with wide receiver Ryan Maher being selected a first team All-American.

In 2006, Gilmore was named the Patriot League Coach of the Year, after his squad posted an overall record of 7-4, while finishing just a game out of first place in the conference at 4-2. The Crusaders nearly tied for the league title, as they suffered a one-point loss at Colgate in the season finale. Holy Cross also led the Patriot League in several statistical categories, including total offense (384.4 yards per game), passing offense (271.5 yards per game), pass efficiency defense (108.4 rating), first downs (239) and third down conversions (46.3 percent). In addition, seven members of Gilmore’s team earned All-Patriot League honors.

During the 2005 campaign, Gilmore led the Crusaders to an overall record of 6-5 and a fourth place finish in the Patriot League with a 3-3 mark in conference games. In addition, Gilmore’s team posted a 13-10 road victory over 10th-ranked Lehigh, good for the school’s first win against a ranked opponent since the 2000 season. Following the conclusion of the 2005 campaign, seven Crusaders earned All-Patriot League honors, with tailback / kick returner Steve Silva being named a consensus first team All-American, and earning National Special Teams Player of the Year honors from Don Hansen’s National Weekly Football Gazette. Gilmore’s 2005 team also led the Patriot League in turnover margin (+1.0 turnovers per game), kickoff returns (23.4 yards per return), punt returns (16.0 yards per return) and red zone efficiency (scoring 90.5 percent of the time).

In 2004, Gilmore’s first Holy Cross squad finished with an overall record of 3-8, rebounding from an 0-5 start to finish 3-3 in their final six games. The Crusaders tripled the team’s win total from the year prior to his arrival, and finished among the Patriot League leaders in both kickoff returns (first, 23.7 yards per return) and passing offense (second, 207.3 yards per game).

Gilmore was introduced as the 27th head football coach in Holy Cross history on January 8, 2004, after serving as defensive coordinator at Lehigh University for the previous four seasons. During his time with the Mountain Hawks, he helped lead the team to an overall record of 39-9, two undefeated regular seasons, two Patriot League championships and two trips to the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs. Gilmore also helped Lehigh to first round playoff victories in both 2000 and 2001, with the Mountain Hawks winning the 2001 Lambert Cup.

In 2003, he shaped the Lehigh defense into one of the top defenses in all of Division I-AA football. The Mountain Hawks were ranked at the top of the Patriot League in several categories, including scoring defense (first, 16.8 points per game), sacks (first, 34 for a loss of 177 yards), rushing defense (second, 126.2 yards per game), total defense (second, 304.9 yards per game) and pass defense (third, 178.7 yards per game). Lehigh also led the conference and ranked among the national leaders in first downs allowed (just 16 per game) and third down defense (23.8 percent conversions allowed).

In 2001, Gilmore was named the American Football Coaches Association Assistant Coach of the Year, after molding a young and inexperienced defense into a unit that allowed just 15.8 points and 86.6 rushing yards per game. The Mountain Hawks ranked fifth in the nation in rushing yards allowed and 12th in the nation in points allowed that season. Lehigh also ranked 19th in the nation in total defense (295.0) and fifth in turnover margin (+1.30). Three of his players were named to the 2001 All-Patriot League team, including Patriot League Defensive Player of the Year Abdul Byron.

In his first season at the helm of the Lehigh defense, Gilmore helped the Mountain Hawks rank sixth in the nation in scoring defense (14.5 points per game), and fifth in both rushing defense (98.0 yards per game) and turnover margin (+1.45 per game). In addition, the team ranked fourth in the nation in interceptions (22) and scored five defensive touchdowns.

Prior to his time at Lehigh, Gilmore coached at Dartmouth College for eight seasons. While at Dartmouth, he served as offensive line coach, linebackers coach and defensive coordinator. He helped the Big Green to two Ivy League titles, and in the 1996 season, Dartmouth finished the year ranked 17th in the nation after posting a perfect 10-0 mark. Gilmore also helped Dartmouth to a 22-game unbeaten streak from 1995-1997, which still ranks as the third-longest unbeaten streak in Division I-AA history. In addition, Gilmore coached a team of Ivy League All-Stars to a victory in the 1996 Epsom Ivy Bowl in Osaka, Japan.

As Dartmouth’s defensive coordinator during the 1997 season, he led one of the best defensive units in the school’s recent history. The Big Green ranked second in the nation in rushing defense, allowing just 77.3 yards per game and 2.3 yards per carry. Dartmouth also allowed just 16.5 points per game in 1997, while recording 40 quarterback sacks, 57 tackles for loss and 17 interceptions in 10 games. Gilmore’s defense also scored four touchdowns that season, two of which were game-winning scores.

Gilmore began his coaching career as an assistant defensive line coach at the University of Pennsylvania in 1986. From 1987-1989 he served as the defensive line and outside linebackers coach at Columbia, before returning to Penn in 1990. He coached the Quakers offensive line for two seasons before heading north to Dartmouth.

An Academic All-American at the University of Pennsylvania, Gilmore graduated in 1986 with a bachelor’s degree in computer mathematics. He helped lead the Quakers to four consecutive Ivy League titles, while earning All-America honors during his junior and senior years. As a senior in 1985, Gilmore received the Asa S. Bushnell Cup as the Ivy League Player of the Year, and he remains one of only two linemen to have ever claimed the award. He also earned the George A. Munger Award as the team’s Most Valuable Player, and the Class of 1917 Award as Penn’s top scholar athlete.

During his playing days, Gilmore set school career records for both quarterback sacks and tackles for loss, while being named National Player of the Week by Sports Illustrated following the final game of his career against Dartmouth. He was also named one of 11 National Scholar Athletes by the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame in 1985. After graduating from Penn, Gilmore signed with the British Columbia Lions of the Canadian Football League, where he played that summer at outside linebacker.

Born September 25, 1964, Gilmore and his wife, Joan, reside in Shrewsbury, Mass., with their two children, Sarah and John.

Gilmore's Collegiate Coaching File
Years School Position Championships

1986 Pennsylvania Assistant Defensive Line Coach Ivy League Champions (1986)
1987-1989 Columbia Defensive Line Coach
1990-1991 Pennsylvania Offensive Line Coach
1992-1995 Dartmouth Offensive Line Coach Ivy League Champions (1992)
1996 Dartmouth Linebackers Coach Ivy League Champions (1996)
1997-1999 Dartmouth Defensive Coordinator
2000-2003 Lehigh Defensive Coordinator Patriot League Champions (2000, 2001)
2004-2011 Holy Cross Head Coach Patriot League Champions (2009)

Gilmore's Collegiate Head Coaching Record
Overall Conference Conference
Year School Record Record Place

2004 Holy Cross 3-8 1-5 6th
2005 Holy Cross 6-5 3-3 4th
2006 Holy Cross 7-4 4-2 3rd
2007 Holy Cross 7-4 4-2 2nd
2008 Holy Cross 7-4 5-1 2nd
2009 Holy Cross 9-3 5-1 1st
2010 Holy Cross 6-5 4-2 2nd
Total 6 Seasons 45-33 26-16

McNeese72
May 22nd, 2012, 08:06 AM
Matt Viator
Head Coach

Phone: 337.475.5214
Email: [email protected]

The most successful active coach in the Southland Conference, McNeese State’s Matt Viator can count three league titles and two runnerup finishes in his five seasons as the Cowboys head coach.

He’s also become one of the most successful coaches in the NCAA’s FCS division, his overall record being an outstanding 39-15 and his league mark an even better 27-7.

Viator has guided the Cowboys to a Southland Conference football championship and into the NCAA Division I championship three times, 2006, 2007 and 2009.

His 2007 team posted only the fourth undefeated, untied regular season record in the university’s history, won the league title for a second year and participated in the NCAA FCS championship for a second straight year.

The Cowboy coach, a graduate of McNeese, had taken over the head job four games deep into the 2006 season, went 6-2 the rest of the way, won the SLC title and put his team into the NCAA FCS championship.

That was the start of one of the most electrifying coaching rises in conference history.

Viator has earned numerous coaching honors including two SLC coach of the year awards and a Louisiana collegiate coach of the year honor. He has also been a finalist for the national Eddie Robinson award twice.

He claimed his first collegiate coaching victory in his very first game as head coach when the Cowboys posted a 30-27 win over Southern Utah in 2006.

Viator is the 14th head coach in McNeese history. His 6-2 rookie record included a 5-1 mark in league play, the team winning the final five league games of the year.

A year ago his squad won four of its last five games for a runnerup finish in the conference standings.

Also, his teams have been ranked in the top 25 national poll four of the last five seasons.

Prior to his becoming head coach, Viator had served the university as offensive coordinator and is regarded as one of the top Division I offensive minds.

The Cowboys have ranked among the national leaders in offense for eight of the past 10 years and the university has also produced the Southland Conference’s top offensive performer four of the last seven seasons.

His offenses have led the league in scoring five times and in 2008 set school records for total offense per game, passing offense per game and scoring average per game.

The Cowboys had the nation’s leading scorer in 2009, tailback Toddrick Pendland.

Before he joined McNeese, Viator was one of the top prep coaches in Louisiana, producing an 81-37 won-lost record, winning one state crown and five league titles. He joined McNeese in 1999 as linebacker coach and was made offensive coordinator in 2000, the Cowboys leading the league in both scoring offense and total offense that year.

Year at McNeese: 13th (joined in 1999)
Birthdate: September 3, 1963
High School: Sam Houston High ‘82
College: McNeese State ‘86
High School Athletics: all-district QB in football; also track letter
Coaching Career: assistant Sam Houston High ‘86-88; head coach Vinton High ‘89-90 (13-9 record); head coach Jennings High ‘91-94 (38-12, state title); head coach Sulphur High ‘95-98 (30-16); assistant McNeese ‘99-’06; head coach McNeese ‘06-present
Married: wife is Schantel
Other: state high school coach of year ‘92, ‘98; Southland Conference coach of the year 2007; Southland Conference and Louisiana collegiate coach of year 2006; finalist for national 1-AA Eddie Robinson coaching award in 2007 and 2006; father is the late Nolan Viator, a former McNeese coach and player (QB) and member of the McNeese Hall of Fame

HIGHLIGHTS
- McNeese wins 11 straight games in 2007; wins the SLC title for second year in row
- Cowboys win six straight SLC games for the league title in 2009, the third in four years
- Toddrick Pendland named all-American in 2008; Bryan Smith named all-American in 2007; Steven Whitehead, Bryan Smith and Blake Bercegeay named all-American in 2006
- Derrick Fourroux named SLC and Louisiana Player of the Year in 2009; Bryan Smith named SLC Player of Year in 2007; Steven Whitehead named SLC Player of the Year in 2006; Toddrick Pendland named Offensive Player of the Year in 2008; Bryan Smith named Defensive Player of the Year and Derrick Fourroux named Freshman of the Year in 2006
- Cowboys win five straight games to win the SLC title in 2006
- McNeese selected for the NCAA FCS playoffs in 2009, 2007 and 2006
- 2007 team ranked No. 3 in last regular season poll
- Bryan Smith ranked No. 3 in nation in QB sacks in 2007
- McNeese as a team in the national rankings was 4th in total offense, fifth in scoring offense and 10th in rushing offense in 2008

Record as head coach
Year W L Pct. NCAA
2010 6 5 .545 -
2009 9 3 .750 FCS first round
2008 7 4 .636 -
2007 11 1 .917 FCS first round
2006 6 2 .750 FCS first round
Totals 39 15 .722

SLC W L Pct. Finish
2010 5 2 .714 2nd
2009 6 1 .857 1st
2008 4 3 .571 2nd
2007 7 0 1.000 1st
2006 5 1 .833 1st
Totals 27 7 .794

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/nich06gmatttrophy.jpg

Doc

UAalum72
May 22nd, 2012, 08:17 AM
Bob Ford - Head Coach, University at Albany
The architect of the University at Albany's football program, Bob Ford has established a solid reputation with his positive attitude and a coaching philosophy that instills loyalty among each member of his team and staff.
Ford, who has been UAlbany's only head coach since the program was reinstated after a 46-year absence, was appointed on April 27, 1970. Since then, he has compiled a 38-year varsity record of 238-153 as the Great Dane mentor, while his 255 career victories ranks first among active NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) head coaches. His UAlbany teams own a 88-56 mark for a .611 winning percentage as Division I FCS program.
The Great Danes, who went 8-4 overall last year, established a school record with their sixth consecutive winning campaign, won their fifth Northeast Conference Championship, and made their first appearance in the FCS playoffs. In 2009 UAlbany defeated No. 20 Maine, 20-16, the first victory over a national top-20 opponent since the 2006 season.
In 2008, The Great Danes put together their second consecutive championship season with a NEC crown and a victory over Jacksonville in the Gridrion Classic. Ford's squad became the first NEC program to win the Gridiron postseason game. UAlbany finished with a 9-3 record, the most victories in a Division I FCS campaign. Ford, who was voted NEC coach of the year for the third time, led UAlbany to an undefeated league season for the second straight year. Tailback David McCarty, the school's career rushing leader, and offensive tackle Raphael Nguti were both chosen as All-Americans.
UAlbany also won the NEC championship in 2007, when Ford was named the conference's top coach. The Great Danes made their fifth postseason appearance in team history when they played Dayton for the FCS mid-major national title in the Gridiron Classic. UAlbany posted an 8-4 record, including a perfect 6-0 mark against league opposition.
Ford, who was honored at the 69th annual Maxwell Awards for recording his 200th career win at UAlbany on Nov. 5, 2005, has produced 12 All-America players and 117 all-conference selections at the FCS level. Nguti became the fourth Great Dane to be selected to the AFCA FCS All-America first team in 2008, joining J.T. Herfurth (2000), Geir Gudmundsen (2004) and Colin Disch (2006).
In 2003, UAlbany shared its second consecutive Northeast Conference crown by finishing in a tie for first place in the conference standings with a 7-4 overall mark. The Great Danes were fourth among the FCS Division I leaders in rushing, while tailback Gary Jones was named to the Associated Press All-America Team for the second time in his career.
The Great Danes put together one of their most celebrated seasons in 2002 by winning the program's first-ever Northeast Conference title and capping the year with a 24-0 upset of previously unbeaten Duquesne in the ECAC Division I-AA Football Classic. Ford, who directed his team to an 8-4 record, was named the NEC Coach of the Year. UAlbany placed 14 players on the all-conference squad.
Ford, who has served as president of the American Football Coaches Association, marched UAlbany to a 7-2 record in its inaugural campaign as a Division I-AA program in 1999. The Great Danes garnered seven wins in 2001, and finished among the conference's top teams for the third straight year.
As a Division II program, Ford led the Great Danes to their second consecutive Eastern Football Conference championship, an EFC Atlantic Division title, and a 10-1 record in 1998. He was named the conference's coach of the year for the second straight season. Ford also received the Gordon White-Herschel Nissenson Division II Coach of the Year Award by the Metropolitan New York Football Writers Association.
Ford coached his 1997 team to a school-record 11-1 mark and an EFC championship. For his efforts, he was named the Football Gazette Division II non-scholarship national Coach of the Year, and voted the top Region I coach by GTE and the American Football Coaches Association.
At one time, Ford was the youngest head football coach in the nation, when the 26-year-old took over the reins at St. Lawrence University in 1965. In his first season, he guided the Saints to an Independent Collegiate Athletic Conference (ICAC) title. He arrived in the Capital Region five years later to start the first gridiron squad at the University since 1924.
After three seasons at the club level, the program was upgraded to varsity status in 1973, and finished with a 7-2 record. One year later, the Great Danes completed the school's only undefeated season with a 9-0 mark.
Ford's 1977 team earned a NCAA Division III playoff berth. After a season-opening loss, the Great Danes rebounded with nine consecutive victories. UAlbany defeated Hampden-Sydney in a thrilling 51-45 contest to begin the postseason before losing to eventual national champion Widener in the semifinals.
In 1978, Coach Ford's mystique grew before a national audience on ABC television. His last-minute addition of a field goal kicker direct from the soccer team paid off in a victory over third-ranked Ithaca. Dario Arango kicked a 45-yard field goal in the last two minutes to provide a 9-6 victory.
In 1985, the Great Danes rallied from a three-touchdown deficit for a 33-21 victory over Plymouth State and the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) North championship. The '85 team, which produced one of the greatest comebacks in Ford's coaching career, boasted offensive and defensive units which were nationally ranked, and supported by five Pizza Hut and one Associated Press All-America players.
UAlbany's football program is also known for the high standards required of its coaching staff. Ford's "coaching factory" has allowed many of his assistants to earn their master's degrees while working at the collegiate level. According to a recent review, more than 100 coaches, who have started their careers under Ford's tutelage, are currently employed with 60 different high schools, colleges, and professional teams from around the nation and the world.
A starting quarterback in his senior year at Springfield College in Massachusetts, Ford was given the "Greatest Desire to Improve" Award by the school's athletic department. He received an undergraduate degree in physical education from Springfield in 1959, and later would earn his doctorate from the College in the same discipline. He gained a master's degree from St. Lawrence in educational administration in 1960.
Ford's first coaching opportunity came as an assistant at St. Lawrence in the fall of 1959. He then moved to Albright College in Pennsylvania as an assistant for four seasons, where he coached the secondary and offensive backfield, and was part of a program which produced a 21-game winning streak.
At Albright College, Ford also coached the wrestling and golf teams. He returned to Springfield in 1964 as a secondary coach, and later was named defensive coordinator at his alma mater in 1969.
Beginning in 1977, Ford was UAlbany's director of athletics for five years. During that time, he managed a program which sponsored 25 varsity sports for men and women.
A 1986 inductee into the Wachusett Regional High School Hall of Fame, Ford is presently active in the National Football Foundation & Hall of Fame, and serves as vice president of the NFFCHF's Capital District Chapter. He was honored by that organization in 2000 with its Service to Football Award.
Ford, 74, has been a member of the American Football Coaches Association's Board of Trustees since 1994, and presently is serving on the AFCA's Division I FCS All-America Team Selection Committee. Ford received the New York State Athletic Administrators Distinguished Service Award in 2005.
In August of 2010, Ford was recognized by the National Football Foundation Capital District Hall of Fame with its Service to Football Award. Ford was previously presented by the UAlbany Alumni Association with its Citizen of the University Award in 2007 which recognizes outstanding contributions to the University by a non-alumnus or alumna through leadership, service or a special gift.
Ford and his wife, Donna, reside in the Capital Region. He has a daughter, Sherri Lee, son-in-law, Kevin, and two grandchildren, Aiden and Kyra.
COACHING RECORD
1959 St. Lawrence University Runnings Backs, Secondary
1960 Albright College Secondary, Offensive Backs
1961 Albright College Secondary, Offensive Backs
1962 Albright College Secondary, Offensive Backs
1963 Albright College Secondary, Offensive Backs
1964 Springfield College Secondary
1965 St. Lawrence University Head Coach (4-4)
1966 St. Lawrence University Head Coach (2-6)
1967 St. Lawrence University Head Coach (1-6-1)
1968 St. Lawrence University Head Coach (2-6)
1969 Springfield College Defensive Coordinator
1970* University at Albany Head Coach (2-4)
1971* University at Albany Head Coach (4-4)
1972* University at Albany Head Coach (6-1-1)
1973 University at Albany Head Coach (7-2)
1974 University at Albany Head Coach (9-0)
1975 University at Albany Head Coach (7-2)
1976 University at Albany Head Coach (4-5)
1977 University at Albany Head Coach (9-2)
(NCAA Division III playoffs, first-round winner)
1978 University at Albany Head Coach (7-3)
1979 University at Albany Head Coach (6-3)
1980 University at Albany Head Coach (5-5)
1981 University at Albany Head Coach (7-3)
1982 University at Albany Head Coach (6-3)
1983 University at Albany Head Coach (3-7)
1984 University at Albany Head Coach (5-5)
1985 University at Albany Head Coach (9-2)
1986 University at Albany Head Coach (4-6)
1987 University at Albany Head Coach (5-5)
1988 University at Albany Head Coach (5-5)
1989 University at Albany Head Coach (5-4)
1990 University at Albany Head Coach (3-7)
1991 University at Albany Head Coach (5-5)
1992 University at Albany Head Coach (6-4)
1993 University at Albany Head Coach (6-4)
1994 University at Albany Head Coach (4-6)
1995 University at Albany Head Coach (3-7)
1996 University at Albany Head Coach (7-3)
1997 University at Albany Head Coach (11-1)
(Eastern Football Conference Champion)
1998 University at Albany Head Coach (10-1)
(Eastern Football Conference Champion)
1999 University at Albany Head Coach (7-2)
2000 University at Albany Head Coach (5-6)
2001 University at Albany Head Coach (7-3)
2002 University at Albany Head Coach (8-4)
(Northeast Conference Champion)
2003 University at Albany Head Coach (7-4)
(Northeast Conference Co-Champion)
2004 University at Albany Head Coach (4-7)
2005 University at Albany Head Coach (5-6)
2006 University at Albany Head Coach (7-4)
2007 University at Albany Head Coach (8-4)
2008 University at Albany Head Coach (9-3)
2009 University at Albany Head Coach (7-4)
2010 University at Albany Head Coach (6-5)
2011 University at Albany Head Coach (8-4)
(Northeast Conference Champion, NCAA Division I playoffs)
*club teams

aceinthehole
May 22nd, 2012, 08:42 AM
Jeff McInerney - Central Connecticut State

Jeff McInerney enters his sixth season as head coach at Central Connecticut State University in 2011. He has a 38-18 record during his five campaigns in New Britain. McInerney and the Blue Devils have won at least a share of two straight Northeast Conference title in the last two seasons. His 38 wins are the second-highest total in school history as is his winning percentage of .680.

Central enters 2011 with seven straight winning seasons, the longest streak in almost 40 years for the Blue Devils. McInerney has posted five straight winning seasons to begin his career with the Blue Devils, the first coach in school history to post such a mark.

The Blue Devils have won 14 straight home games entering 2011, the second-longest active home winning streak in the country. In 2010 Central posted a perfect 5-0 mark at home, and an 8-3 overall record. They were 7-1 in NEC play, marking the second straight season with seven conference wins. They won a share of their fourth NEC title since 2004. The 14 league wins are the second-highest two-season total in league history. In McInerney's five seasons the Blue Devils are 23-2 at home.

McInerney was named the NEC Coach of the Year in 2009. The Blue Devils won the first outright NEC title in school history and advanced to their first-ever Division I postseason game.

In 2009 the Blue Devils matched the school-record for victories with a 9-3 overall mark, including a 7-1 record in NEC action. Central clinched the title with a 14-13 win over St. Francis (PA) in the final regular season game of the season. Central's six-straight wins from Sept. 26 until Oct. 31 marked the longest win streak in its Division I history. The Blue Devils advanced to the Gridiron Classic and faced Butler on Dec. 5. They lost to the Bulldogs and finished the season with nine wins, the most in a single-season since 1973.

The Blue Devils made an appearance in the national polls for the second time in McInerney's four seasons in 2009. Running back James Mallory helped make program history by becoming the second player in school history to be a finalist for the prestigious Walter Payton Award, awarded to the top player in the Division I Football Championship Subdivision. Mallory finished his career in New Britain as the second-leading scorer and rusher in program history, and earned numerous All-America honors following his senior campaign.

Three years ago, the Blue Devils set more milestones under McInerney. They won the NAACP Harmony Classic, defeating North Carolina Central, 35-23, in front of an NEC record 8,322 people at New Britain's Veterans' Stadium in Willow Brook Park on Sept. 20, 2008.

McInerney has coached two NEC offensive players of the year (Mallory, 2009; Justise Hairston, 2006), 15 first team All-NEC selections, 20 second team All-NEC selections, five ECAC Player of the Week honorees and 32 NEC Player/Rookie of the Week recipients during his tenure. McInerney's student-athletes have also received 12 All-America awards, including two Academic All-America honors. Two year's ago linebacker Lawton Arnold was named the NEC defensive rookie of the year.

Central Connecticut went 6-5 in 2007. The Blue Devils again ranked high in the national rushing ranks. Jo Jo Freeman guided the nation's 10th most prolific rushing offense. His 828-yard, 10-touchdown season helped him earn first team Sports Network Mid-Major All-America status.

McInerney saw many firsts in his inaugural season as the head coach at Central. An 8-3 record in 2006 marked the third straight winning season for the Blue Devils. But it was the national attention that McInerney's Blue Devils received that helped CCSU reach new heights among FCS programs.

The second week of the 2006 season brought the Blue Devils to the national stage. CCSU went to Statesboro, GA, to face six-time national champion Georgia Southern in its home opener. A 17-13 victory by the Blue Devils made national news, and a week later CCSU entered the Sports Network National Poll for the first time in school history. The Blue Devils were nationally ranked for the first time during the season and reached as high as #19 in the poll. The 8-3 record marked the second time in three seasons that CCSU posted eight wins, the second-highest single-season total in program history.

McInerney's teams have led the league in rushing offense during each of his five seasons in New Britain. The Blue Devils have also ranked in the nation's top-10 in rushing during each campaign. That includes holding the top spot in 2006. Led by Hairston, the Blue Devils paced the nation in rushing. Hairston, who set a CCSU and Northeast Conference single-season rushing mark with 1,847 yards, earned third team AP All-America honors and finished eighth in the Walter Payton Award voting. The NEC Offensive Player of the Year, Hairston also joined Nutt and Farod Muhammad as Sports Network Mid-Major All-America selections.

McInerney became the 12th head coach in the history of Central Connecticut State University football on January 13, 2006. McInerney spent two seasons as the defensive coordinator at the University of Rhode Island prior to arriving at CCSU. He has also been an assistant at Tulsa, UNLV, Oregon State, Georgia Southern and Southern California.

The South Windsor High School graduate received his bachelor's degree from Slippery Rock University in 1982 and his master's degree from Troy State University in 1984. His first coaching job came at Slippery Rock as an undergraduate in 1981 and then as a graduate assistant coach in 1982.

McInerney has seen plenty of success in his coaching career, thrice being a part of a staff that won a National Championship (1984 and 1987 at Troy State; 1990 at Georgia Southern). McInerney and his wife, Leslie, have two children. Ryan is a 2009 graduate of Pittsburgh State and currently a graduate assistant at TCU. Amy is a senior at CCSU.

HailSzczur
May 22nd, 2012, 09:01 AM
Villanova's Andy Talley

Record at Villanova: 188-107-1, .637 (25 Years)
Record in Conference Games: 112-75, .599 (22 Years)
Overall as a Head Coach: 216-125-2, .633 (30 Years)

Villanova head coach Andy Talley will be entering his 32nd season as a collegiate head coach, including his 27th as the Wildcat leader in 2011. The winningest coach in school history, Talley's record on the Main Line currently stands at an impressive 188-107-1.

He has a 31-year overall coaching record of 216-125-2. The 216 career victories rank him fifth on the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) active coaching list and he rates 14th in career winning percentage at .631.

Last season, Talley led his Wildcats to a third consecutive NCAA playoff appearance, including a second straight trip to the NCAA semifinals and a final ranking of No. 3 in the Sports Network Top 25. En route to the semifinal round, Villanova earned road victories at No. 3 Stephen F. Austin and at No. 2 Appalachian State. In addition to the team success, Talley led numerous players to individual achievement in 2011. Highlighting the list was offensive tackle Ben Ijalana who was a consensus first team All-American and was drafted in the second round of the 2011 NFL Draft by the Indianapolis Colts. All total, Villanova had 14 players garner All-CAA distinction a year ago, including five first team honorees.

Talley reached the pinnacle of his illustrious career in 2009 as he led the Wildcats to a 14-1 record and the FCS National Championship. Villanova earned the title with a thrilling 23-21 win over previously undefeated Montana in a game played at Finley Stadium in Chattanooga, Tenn. Villanova also won the 2009 CAA championship with a 7-1 league mark and was awarded the Lambert Meadowlands Trophy, the ECAC Team of the Year and the Wanamaker Award which is given to the athlete, team or organization that has done the most to reflect credit upon the city of Philadelphia.

For his efforts in 2009, Talley received numerous coaching honors. Highlighting the list was the AFCA National Coach of the Year Award. Talley also earned this award in 1997 and becomes just the 17th coach to win the award twice. He also garnered the 2009 CAA Coach of the Year, the Sportsman's Award from the Marine Corp Scholarship Foundation and the Maxwell Club President's Award. Talley guided 14 players to All-Conference honors in 2009. In addition, junior wide receiver Matt Szczur was named the CAA Offensive Player of the Year, the CAA Special Teams Player of the Year and a first team All-American, while Ijalana garnered first team All-American accolades.

On October 24, 2009, Talley became just the 55th coach in NCAA history to reach the 200 win plateau when his Wildcats defeated the University of Rhode Island by a score of 36-7 in a game played at Villanova Stadium. Talley is already the all-time coaching leader for conference wins in the history of the CAA with 112 league victories. Former New Hampshire mentor Bill Bowes is second with 97 conference victories.

The 2008 season was also a special one for Talley, as he led his Wildcats to a 10-3 overall record and a 7-1 CAA mark. Villanova earned its seventh playoff appearance under Talley, finished the season ranked No. 6 in the national polls and advanced to the quarterfinal round of the NCAA playoffs. For his efforts in 2008, Talley was named the AFCA Regional Coach of the Year, the Field Turf/Howie Long FCS National Coach of the Year and the Maxwell Club Coach of the Year.

In addition to the great teams he has built, Talley has also been able to lead great players as evidence by the two Walter Payton Award winners (given to the top player in FCS football), 14 first team All-Americans, 188 All-Conference performers and 51 All-East honorees he has coached at Villanova. The first Walter Payton Award winner came in 1997 when wide receiver Brian Finneran earned the award. To this day, Finneran is the only wide receiver to ever receive this honor. Finneran is entering his 13th season in the NFL in 2011. In 2001, running back Brian Westbrook garnered the Walter Payton Award, making Villanova one of just five schools to produce two Payton Award winners. Also, that year, Westbrook participated in two prestigious all-star games, playing in both the Senior Bowl and Hula Bowl. Westbrook would go on to become the first Wildcat since Howie Long to be drafted when he was selected in the third round of the 2002 NFL Draft by the hometown Philadelphia Eagles. Under Talley's guidance, Westbrook would be the only player in Villanova football history to be a three-time first team All-American. Also, in 1998, Talley helped Westbrook become the only player in the history of NCAA football at any level to rush for 1,000 yards and receive for 1,000 yards in the same season.

The 14 Villanova players to earn first team All-American distinction under Talley include offensive guard Paul Berardelli (1988), center Bryan Russo (1989), linebacker Curtis Eller (1991, 1992), linebacker Tyrone Frazier (1994), Finneran (1996, 1997), quarterback Chris Boden (1997), Westbrook (1998, 2000, 2001), offensive tackle Eamonn Allen (2001), quarterback Brett Gordon (2002), linebacker Brian Hulea (2005), defensive end Greg Miller (2008), Szczur (2009) and Ijalana (2009, 2010). Eller, Finneran, Westbrook, Gordon and Szczur also earned conference player of the year recognition during their Wildcat careers and Eller was named to the Yankee Conference 50th Anniversary Team.

Throughout his Main Line career, Talley has guided Villanova to nine NCAA playoff appearances, five conference championships, three Lambert Meadowlands Cup, three ECAC Team of the Year awards, three national semifinal appearances and the 2009 national championship.

While leading his troops to the first-ever undefeated, untied regular season in 1997, Talley also guided the Wildcats to a No. 1 national ranking for the final six weeks of the regular season. This was the first time in school history that a Villanova football team was ranked No. 1 in the polls. On their way to being named the 1997 ECAC Team of the Year, Talley and the Wildcats set 41 school records. After claiming the inaugural Atlantic 10 championship in 1997 with a perfect 8-0 conference mark, Talley and his team were rewarded for their fine season with a bid to the NCAA I-AA playoffs. In the playoffs, Villanova accomplished another first, as the `Cats claimed the school's first-ever I-AA playoff win with a 49-28 victory over Colgate.

When you have a season like Talley and the Wildcats had, individual honors are sure to follow. For his efforts in 1997, Talley won virtually every coaching award possible. At a banquet in New York City in early December, Talley was presented the prestigious Eddie Robinson Award as the nation's top coach in all of I-AA. A few weeks later, he garnered the AFCA/GTE National Coach of the Year Award. As part of winning this distinction, Talley was selected to serve as an assistant coach at the 1998 Hula Bowl. In Hawaii, Talley assisted then Ohio State head coach John Cooper, serving as the secondary coach for the North squad. In addition to these awards, Talley was named the recipient of the first-ever Atlantic 10 Conference Coach of the Year Award.

On Sept. 30, 1995, Villanova defeated the University of Buffalo, 28-3, giving Talley his 67th win as Villanova's head coach, surpassing Harry Stuhldreher, who was one of the Four Horsemen, for the most victories in Villanova football history. About to enter his 27th season on the Main Line, Talley can feel responsible for every facet of the Villanova program, having started it from scratch in 1985. In his 27 years at Villanova, Talley's successes have been numerous. When he arrived on May 29, 1984 as the school's 29th head coach, there was no team. The program had been dropped following the 1980 campaign and had now been restored, with Talley being given the job of building a program. He set out to build not only a winning team, but one that alumni all over the country could be proud of.

In his first season, Talley guided the Wildcats to a perfect 5-0 in a limited schedule and since that season Talley has not let his troops look back. Dating back to that opening campaign, Talley has led Villanova teams to NCAA FCS (Formerly Division I-AA) playoff appearances in 1989, 1991, 1992, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2009 and 2010. His 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001 and 2009 teams were conference champions, while the 1992, 2002 and 2009 squads were voted the Lambert-Meadowlands Trophy champions as the top I-AA team in the East.

Before coming to Villanova, Talley served as the head football coach at St. Lawrence University, where in 1982, he led St. Lawrence to the Division III Lambert-Meadowlands Trophy as the top team in the East. That year, Talley was named the American Football Coaches Association/Kodak Division III Region I Coach of the Year, as well as the Metropolitan New York Sportswriters/ECAC Coach of the Year.

Not only has he won as a head coach everywhere he has been, Talley has been associated with nothing but winning programs since his coaching career began in 1967. The record of all his teams as both an assistant and a head coach is a gaudy 294-145-4.

For Talley, however, these accomplishments are not enough. Perhaps of greater importance to Talley than wins, losses and athletic accolades are the types of students and people that his program turns out. In his Villanova career, Villanova has had 12 GTE/CoSIDA Academic All-Americans, two NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship winners and 165 academic All-Conference performers.

Away from the football field, Talley is appreciative of the opportunities provided to him through athletics, and is continually looking to give something back to others. The area off the field to which he dedicates most of his time is the National Bone Marrow Foundation. With this group, he works to have potential bone marrow donors entered in a national bone marrow registry, increasing the odds of a needy patient being able to find a "match" for their bone marrow. Since November 1, 1993, he has been responsible for over 20,500 people being tested with the National Marrow Donor Program. In 2008, Talley started the "Get In The Game and Save a Life" national bone marrow registration campaign. Talley enlisted 30 college football programs from all levels to take part in this campaign. Since 2008, this group has combined to test nearly 25,000 potential donors. For his efforts with the bone marrow program, Talley has received numerous awards and accolades. In the spring of 2010, he was presented The Person of the Decade Award by the Temple Bone Marrow Transplant Program of Temple University Hospital. In 2009, he was given the Volunteer of the Year Award by the Laurie Strauss Foundation and the Collegiate Award by the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP). The Strauss Foundation Award recognizes an individual for instilling compassion in collegiate student-athletes and the Collegiate Award is given to an individual or university in honor of outstanding commitment to raising awareness, recruiting donors and supporting life-saving work of the NMDP. In the summer of 2008, The Philadelphia Sports Congress gave Talley its 2008 Community Service Award which is presented to the individual, business or organization that has done the most to contribute to the quality of life in Philadelphia through sports. He was also named one of the 75 greatest Living Philadelphians in a survey conducted by the Philadelphia Eagles and Dunkin Donuts for his long standing commitment and ongoing contributions to the city of Philadelphia.

Talley also often serves as a featured speaker at many business and community functions. He acts as President of the National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame Philadelphia Chapter. In December of 2000, Talley was one of two chapter presidents to be honored by the National Football Foundation Hall of Fame and received an award for his leadership of the Philadelphia Chapter at the famous Waldorf Astoria Hotel. Talley was also given a Lifetime Achievement Award in January of 2000 by the All-American Football Foundation.

Talley's coaching career began at Simsbury (Conn.) High School in 1967 where he was an assistant coach for two years. In 1969, he became the defensive secondary coach at Springfield (Mass.) College for one year and then was the offensive backfield coach at Middlebury (Vt.) College from 1970-73.

Talley had his first experience of rebuilding a program when he became the offensive back-field coach at Brown University in 1973. Having experienced several losing seasons prior to 1973, Talley was on the staff while they compiled a 36-15-2 overall record in six seasons, including the Ivy League title in 1976.

From there, he was named the head coach at St. Lawrence (N.Y.) University, a position he held until his appointment at Villanova in May, 1984. Talley rebuilt the St. Lawrence program, and led the Saints to a 28-18-1 record in five seasons, including an undefeated regular season in 1982 when he advanced to the NCAA Division III semifinals.

A graduate of Haverford (Pa.) High School just five minutes from the Villanova campus, Talley is a native of Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania.

During the winter of 1996, Talley was inducted into the Haverford Hall of Fame. He played four seasons at defensive back for Southern Connecticut University, graduating with honors in 1967. In the spring of 1998, Talley was inducted into the Southern Connecticut Hall of Fame. In November, 2005, he was recognized by the Delaware County Hall of Fame, while in June of 2006, he was inducted into the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame Delaware County Chapter. During the summer of 2007, he earned a spot in the Pennsylvania State Hall of Fame. Talley earned his Masters Degree in Education from Southern Connecticut in 1969.

Talley and his wife, Arlene, reside in Berwyn, Pa. They are the parents of two children: Josh, a graduate of both Brown University, and Villanova Law School who is currently a practicing lawyer in Philadelphia and Gina, who earned her undergraduate degree from the University of Pennsylvania and a Masters Degree from New York University. Gina is currently pursuing her doctorate degree in history from the University of Massachusetts.

Sam_Kats
May 22nd, 2012, 09:56 AM
http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204860518

http://shsu.edu/dept/marketing/great-name/images/Fritz.jpg

Willie Fritz has directed Sam Houston State to a 20-5 record in his two seasons as Bearkat head football coach. His 20 wins rank as Sam Houston's most victories in a two-year span.

Fritz earned Southland Conference "Coach of the Year" and American Football Coaches Association "Regional Coach of the Year" honors after Sam Houston State ran off 14 consecutive victories to earn the Southland Conference championship and a berth in NCAA Division I National Championship game and.

The 14 victories stand as the most in one season in Sam Houston's 96 years of football.

Combined with a pair of wins at the end of the 2010 schedule, the Bearkats' 16-game winning streak is the longest in school history and was the longest current streak in FCS play going into the national championship final.

Fritz, who has produced an overall record of 156 victories, 57 losses and one tied as a head coach, became the 14th head football coach at Sam Houston State University on December 18, 2011.

In his two seasons, he has taken a program that went 5-6 the year before his hiring to a 14-1 mark, the No. 1 seed in the NCAA Division I playoffs and a No. 2 final national ranking in 2011. Sam Houston's 14 victories included a perfect 7-0 Southland record to give the Bearkats their first undisputed Southland title.

During his 30-year career, Fritz has been part of programs both as a head coach and an assistant that have rolled up an overall record of 240 wins, 84 losses and five ties. The record includes nine appearances in post-season play (bowl games or playoff appearances) and 10 conference titles.

Fritz came to Huntsville from the University of Central Missouri were he ranked as the "winningest" coach in the Mules' 113-year football history.

Fritz rolled up a 97-47 record in 13 seasons as Central Missouri head coach. In 11 of those seasons, Central Missouri posted winning records. He is the only Central Missouri head coach to produce eight consecutive seasons of seven or more wins.

Fritz served as a graduate assistant for Bearkat squads that went 16-6 in 1984-85 and won the 1985 Gulf Star Conference championship

He was the secondary and special teams coach for the Bearkats in 1991 and 1992, helping lead Sam Houston to a Southland Conference championship and starting a special teams success tradition that lasted more than a decade. The "block party" saw Kat special teams block 80 punts, field goals and extra points in the 14 seasons from 1991 to 2004.

From 1993 to 1996, Fritz was head coach at Blinn College where turned around a program that had gone 5-24-1 in its three previous seasons. In just a short time, he produced a 39-5-1 record and two national junior college championships. For his efforts at Blinn, Fritz has been inducted into the NJCAA Hall of Fame.

As head coach at Central Missouri, Fritz led the Mules to their first post-season berth in 32 years when they defeated Minnesota-Duluth in the 2001 Mineral Water Bowl. A year later, Central Missouri earned its first NCAA Division II playoff berth after winning the Mid-America Athletic Association (MIAA) championship. Fritz coached 152 All-MIAA performers including 41 first team selections and 24 All-Americans. Fritz ranks No. 15 among active NCAA Division II head coach in victories.

In his 13 years at UCM, the Mules enjoyed an 84 percent graduation rate with three Academic All-Americans, 14 Academic All-Region and 144 MIAA Commissioner's Academic Honor Roll selections. Central Missouri ranked No. 11 in NCAA Division II football attendance.

Fritz was the second member of his family to coach at Central Missouri. His father, the late Harry Fritz, was the Mules' head football coach in 1952 and later become executive director of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA).

Fritz played college football at Pittsburg State University where he was a four-year starter as a defensive back and played on two conference championship teams. He was a student assistant coach for the Gorillas in 1982.

Fritz served as an assistant football coach at Shawnee Mission Northwest High School in Kansas in 1983 and at Willis High School in Texas in 1986 and was defensive coordinator at Coffeyville Community College in Kansas from 1987 to 1990.

Fritz and his wife Susan have three children, Wesley, Elaine and Brooke.

Smitty
May 22nd, 2012, 11:49 AM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wcar/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/7326852.jpeg

Mark Speir, who has spent much of his 21-year coaching career at the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) level, was named head football coach at Western Carolina University as announced by Director of Athletics Randy Eaton during a press conference held in the Ramsey Center on Dec. 22, 2011.

Speir (pronounced "spear"), who got his coaching career start at Western Carolina under former Catamount head coach Steve Hodgin from 1991-96, becomes the 13th head coach of the WCU football program all-time.

What they are saying about Speir
"When I stood at my introductory press conference last week, I told the Catamount nation that I was looking for four main attributes of our next head football coach: a love for the student-athlete and an unwavering commitment to their success, both on and off the field; a track record of success at the FCS level; pre-existing relationships with local and regional high school coaches; and someone who is a `fit' in the athletics department, on campus and in the community. I have found all four in Mark Speir," said Eaton.

Speir returns to Cullowhee after spending the past nine seasons at Appalachian State where he was a part of three-consecutive FCS National Championships from 2005-07, serving as the program's recruiting coordinator since 2004 while also most recently coaching the inside linebackers. He has also coached the Mountaineers' running backs (2003-04), defensive line (2005-08) and defensive ends (2009-10).

In 2009, Speir was tabbed as the NCAA Division I FCS Assistant Coach of the Year by the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA). The award has been handed out every year since 1997 at the five levels of football including the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS), FCS, Division II and III, as well as NAIA levels.

Prior to Appalachian, Speir also made coaching stops at both at Presbyterian (1997-99) while the Blue Hose were a NCAA Division II member institution, and at Elon (2000-02) the year after the program made the transition to a NCAA Division I school.

A native of Kannapolis, N.C., Speir broke into coaching while an undergraduate at Clemson University, working as a student assistant from 1986 through 1989, helping the Tigers to three Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) Championships during his four years. Following his graduation with a bachelor's degree in secondary education in 1990, Speir landed on Hodgin's staff in Cullowhee, first working with the running backs from 1991-93, then the linebackers in 1994 before coaching the defensive line and serving as the program's recruiting coordinator from 1995-96.

Throughout his collegiate coaching career, Speir has made a name for himself through the recruiting process. He has held the title of recruiting coordinator at three NCAA FCS institutions (WCU, Elon and ASU), most recently organizing the efforts that landed Appalachian State six-consecutive crops of freshmen that have been widely considered to be among the top in NCAA Division I FCS recruiting classes and that helped the Mountaineers to three-straight national titles.

On the field, Speir has coached multiple All-Southern Conference selections in five of the past six seasons. In all, he has coached nine all-conference honorees that have earned the distinction 13 times in his nine seasons on staff.

Six of Speir's position players have garnered All-America honors during his tenure at ASU including the most recent recipient, linebacker Jeremy Kimbrough, who was selected to the second team by The Sports Network. Additionally, defensive ends Jabari Fletcher, Jason Hunter, Marques Murrell and Gary Tharrington and defensive tackle Anthony Williams combined for All-America honors a total of six times.

Speir's most notable pupils, Hunter and Murrell, tied for the SoCon lead with 13 sacks apiece and accounted for six defensive touchdowns between them in 2005. Murrell also led the nation with 13 sacks in `06. Both have enjoyed productive NFL careers, with Hunter entering his sixth pro season this year with the Denver Broncos.

Off the field, Speir is involved in many charitable causes. He has raised more than $30,000 to help rebuild the Memorial Christian Hospital in Bangladesh by training for and participating in the 2008 Music City Marathon in Nashville, which he finished in 4:01; the 2009 Boston Marathon, which he completed in 3:59; and the 2010 Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati. In 2009, he traveled to Bangladesh to provide much-needed medical supplies and volunteer at the hospital for 10 days.

In 2011, Speir turned to organizing and participating in motorcycle tours as a way to continue to raise funds for the worthy cause.

Jerry Moore, the head coach at Appalachian State where Speir has worked the past nine seasons, praised WCU for its decision. "Western Carolina is very lucky to get Mark. He is a perfect fit; he knows Western Carolina and knows it well. WCU is very, very fortunate to get Mark Speir. He is a great coach, and a better man; he is the kind of guy that you would love your son to go play for."

Former Catamount football standout Brad Hoover, who went on to play nine seasons in the NFL with the Carolina Panthers, credits Speir as "... one of the main reasons I went to WCU."

"It was because of the level of Mark Speir's sincerity and his positive attitude during my recruitment experience with him that drew me to commit to Western Carolina," said Hoover.

Stacy Searels, the offensive line coach at the Univ. of Texas, described Speir as a "... a self-starter, a real go-getter and a relentless recruiter who will do a great job for WCU," while Daryl Dickey, the head coach and director of athletics at the University of West Georgia characterized him as "...a hard worker who is passionate about and loves all aspects of the game of football."

Speir is married to the former Paige Holt of Pickens, S.C., and the couple has two sons -- Zeb and Jackson.

SPEIR AT A GLANCE
Coaching Experience
1986-89: Clemson (Student Assistant)
1991-93: Western Carolina (Running Backs)
1994: Western Carolina (Outside Linebackers)
1995-96: Western Carolina (Defensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator)
1997-99: Presbyterian (Defensive Line/Strength and Conditioning)
2000-01: Elon (Running Backs/Special Teams/Recruiting Coordinator)
2002: Elon (Defensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator)
2003-04: Appalachian State (Running Backs)
2005-09: Appalachian State (Defensive Line)
2004-11: Appalachian State (Recruiting Coordinator)
2009-10: Appalachian State (Defensive Ends)
2011: Appalachian State (Inside Linebackers)
Alma Mater: Clemson, 1990 (Master's -- Western Carolina, 1994)
Hometown: Kannapolis, N.C.
Wife: Paige (Holt)
Sons: Zeb and Jackson

813Jag
May 22nd, 2012, 12:10 PM
http://www.tspnsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Stump-Mitch.jpg

Lyvonia "Stump" Mitchell
Position: HEAD COACH
Alma Mater: Citadel
Graduating Year: 1981
Phone: 225-771-2712

LYVONIA "STUMP" MITCHELL
HEAD COACH

The 17th head football coach of Southern University and A&M College.Mitchell comes to Southern after two year stint as the Assistant Head Coach/Running Backs coach for the NFL's Washington Redskins.

Stump Mitchell joined the Redskins' coaching staff in 2008, adding a fresh perspective to the Redskins' talented group of running backs. He arrived at Redskins Park from the Seattle Seahawks, where he had spent the previous nine seasons coaching the running backs.

From 2001-07, he coached alongside former Redskins head coach Jim Zorn, who was quarterbacks coach there at the time.

"I am very excited to have Lyvonia "Stump" Mitchell joining the Jaguar Nation as our 17th head football coach. I am confident that he will help us bring the fans back to A.W. Mumford Stadium and that he will help us achieve our goal of strengthening the relationship between SUBR and the community surrounding the campus", says Dr. Kofi Lomotey, Chancellor of Southern University-Baton Rouge.

"Importantly, at the collegiate and professional levels, Coach Mitchell has demonstrated dedication, hard work and success. Moreover, he has effectively instilled those values in players in his charge on both levels. He has an excellent attitude and positive educational and athletic philosophies. While serving as head football coach at Morgan State University, his focus on academic discipline led to a substantial increase in the overall GPA of the team", added Lomotey.

"We are excited about Coach Mitchell joining the Jaguar Nation and we have the utmost confidence in his ability to lead our football program. Being a former student athlete, Coach Mitchell understands that our goal is to develop our team to their greatest potential on and off the field," said Southern University System Interim President Dr. Kassie Freeman. "We are also very proud of the hard work and dedication of our Board Chairman, Chancellor, and Athletic Director during the search process. This is indicative of their commitment to ensuring the success of our athletic programs, along with working collaboratively to make the best decision for our great institution."

Under Mitchell's tutelage, running back Clinton Portis had his second-best season as a Redskin, rushing for 1,487 yards and nine touchdowns, and catching 28 passes for an additional 218 yards. His rushing yards and total yards both ranked fourth in the NFL for the year, and when Portis rushed for more than 100 yards, as he did six times, the Redskins lost only one game.

Mitchell coached a 1,000-yard rusher in each of his first seven seasons in Seattle (Ricky Watters for two years, Shaun Alexander for five years).

Mitchell joined the Seahawks following three years as head coach at Morgan State University. He originally joined the MSU staff in 1995 as offensive coordinator, earning a promotion to head coach the following year. Under Mitchell's tutelage, the Bears boasted a strong rushing attack that averaged 148.9 yards per game in 1997.

Mitchell's coaching career began in 1991, when he served as an assistant coach on the World League of American Football's San Antonio Riders' staff. He then accepted a position as the head coach at Casa Grande (Ariz.) High School (1991-94), where he led the team to a playoff berth in his second year.

Mitchell played nine years in the NFL as a standout running back with the St. Louis/Phoenix Cardinals. He was a ninth-round draft choice by the Cardinals in 1981 and would go on to become one of the great running backs and kick returners in Cardinals history. Mitchell is the Cardinals' all-time leader in combined yardage with 11,988 yards and ranks second with 4,649 yards rushing on 986 attempts and 32 touchdowns. His 177 kickoff returns for 4,007 yards are both franchise records. He posted 14 100-yard games and finished with a 4.7-yard rushing average, second-best in the franchise history.

With a 5.6-yard rushing average as a rookie in 1981, Mitchell earned All-Rookie honors from Pro Football Weekly. In 1984, he earned All-NFC honors as a kickoff returner by Pro Football Weekly. On Nov. 17, 1985, he set a career high with 179 rushing yards against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Mitchell was honored with the Chuck Drulis Award for community service in 1982 and the Byron "Whizzer" White Humanitarian Award for charity work in 1984. He was born on March 15, 1959, in Kingsland, Ga.

Record at Southern: 6-16

Apphole
May 22nd, 2012, 12:18 PM
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Appalachian+State+v+East+Carolina+Hy5jHKKclxCl.jpg

Jerry Moore
A bona fide legend in the college football coaching ranks, 2012 will be Jerry Moore’s 24th year at the helm of Appalachian State University’s football program.

In 23 seasons at Appalachian, Moore has compiled a 207-83 record, making him the winningest coach in Southern Conference history. In 30 years as a head coach, he is 234-131-2, making him one of only eight active NCAA Division I FCS head coaches with 200 career victories and 17th among all NCAA Division I coaches (FCS or FBS) in all-time victories.

Moore has enjoyed success at nearly every stop of his 51-year coaching career, but his two-plus decades at ASU has cemented his standing as one of the game’s all-time great mentors.

Moore led Appalachian to three-consecutive NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS — formerly Division I-AA) national titles from 2005-07, making ASU the first program to ever win three-straight championships at the FCS/I-AA level and the first Division I program, FCS or FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision — formerly Division I-A) to accomplish the feat in 61 years.

He also led Appalachian to six-straight SoCon titles from 2005-10, which is tied with Georgia Southern (1997-2002) for the most consecutive conference championships since the venerable league began crowning a champion in 1933. ASU won 26-straight SoCon games —the second-longest run of league victories in league history — from 2007-10.

From 2005-10, Moore’s Mountaineers compiled a 71-15 record (joining Virginia Tech as the only Division I programs to win 10 or more games during each season during that span) and etched themselves in the record books with a number of other “firsts.”

Most notably, the Apps became the first institution from the state of North Carolina to ever win an NCAA football championship at any level when it defeated Northern Iowa, 21-16, in the 2005 Division I-AA national title game — a feat they repeated with wins over Massachusetts (28-17) and Delaware (49-21) in the 2006 and ‘07 NCAA Division I national championship tilts.

Additionally, Appalachian became a household name when Moore led his troops to perhaps the biggest upset in college football history, a 34-32 triumph over Michigan in the 2007 season opener. The victory over the Wolverines, college football’s all-time winningest program which came into the contest ranked No. 5 in the Associated Press’ Top 25 college football poll, marked the first time that an FCS team ever toppled a nationally ranked FBS opponent.

However, Moore’s success at ASU did not begin in 2005, as the Mountaineers’ recent triumphs have only enhanced his standing as one of the nation’s finest coaches, not defined it.

Twenty-two of Moore’s 23 squads at ASU have posted winning records, nine have won Southern Conference championships and 17 have advanced to postseason play.

He wasted no time in establishing a winning program, leading his very first Mountaineer squad to a 9-3 overall record and NCAA Division I-AA playoff berth in 1989.

Two years later, Moore hoisted the SoCon championship trophy for the first time when his Apps captured the conference title and accompanying postseason berth with six wins in seven league tilts in 1991.

The 1991 championship campaign sparked a run of four playoff bids in five years, capped by perhaps the most impressive regular season in school history in 1995. The ‘95 Mountaineers rolled to a perfect 11-0 regular-season record and, behind a defense that featured All-Americans Dexter Coakley and Matt Stevens, appeared to be a favorite to win the school’s first national championship. However, Stevens suffered a year-ending injury late in the regular season and ASU’s promising campaign came to an end when it stumbled against Stephen F. Austin in the second round of the playoffs.

Appalachian missed the postseason each of the next two years, but responded with a run of five-straight playoff appearances from 1998-2002. The stretch was highlighted by Moore’s third SoCon title in 1999 and an unlikely run to the 2000 national semifinals as the No. 13 seed in the 16-team field.

Another two-year absence followed the five-year string of postseason appearances but like the playoff-less 1996 and ‘97 seasons, the disappointing campaigns in 2003 and ‘04 have been followed by the most successful stretch in ASU’s and Moore’s storied gridiron history.

Altogether, Moore has coached 65 players that have earned all-America recognition a total of 95 times over the course of his 23 years at ASU.

Moore is no stranger to individual awards himself, as he is a three-time American Football Coaches Association National Coach of the Year (2005, 2006, 2007) and the only Division I (FCS or FBS) mentor in the 75-year history of the award to win it three years in a row. He also won the 2006 Eddie Robinson Award (National Coach of the Year) from The Sports Network, is a six-time AFCA Regional Coach of the Year (1994, 1995, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009) and record eight-time SoCon Coach of the Year (1991, 1994, 1995, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010).

In 2009, he was named the Liberty Mutual FCS Coach of the Year, an award that included $50,000 for Moore’s favorite charities and $20,000 for the ASU Alumni Association scholarship fund.

In addition to his 23-year tenure at ASU, Moore served as head coach at North Texas (1979-80) and Texas Tech (1981-85) and spent 15 seasons on the staffs of legendary mentors Hayden Fry, Tom Osborne and Ken Hatfield at SMU (1965-72), Nebraska (1973-78) and Arkansas (1988). Moore began his coaching career with four seasons as an assistant at Corsicana H.S. in Texas (1961-64). He also enjoyed a trip to Honolulu, Hawaii in 2006 to serve as an assistant coach in the Hula Bowl all-star game.

Prior to embarking on his legendary coaching career, Moore made his mark as one of the nation’s premier players at Baylor from 1958-60. He ranked among the nation’s top 10 in receptions while serving as a team captain for the 11th-ranked Bears as a senior and graduated from BU with a bachelor’s degree in finance and economics in 1961.

A native of Bonham, Texas, Moore was an all-state performer on the gridiron and earned 14 varsity letters in four sports at Bonham H.S. He is a member of the Bonham Athletics Hall of Fame. Bonham honored one of its most prominent sons when it declared Feb. 18, 2008, to be “Jerry Moore Day” in the town of 9,900 located 75 miles northeast of Dallas.

An active and well-respected member of the American Football Coaches Association, Moore is also active in various church and civic groups. His sense of community is most evident in his “never say no” philosophy with regards to the numerous speaking engagements that he is asked to participate in. As many as five nights a week, Moore travels across the Carolinas, the Southeast and the nation to appear at as many of the banquets, clinics and other engagements that he was asked to speak at as possible.

A devoted family man, Moore is married to the former Margaret Starnes, also a Baylor alum. They have three children: Chris, Scott and Elizabeth, and six grandchildren. His grandson, Trey Kavanaugh, is a redshirt freshman wide receiver for the Mountaineers.

TheRevSFA
May 22nd, 2012, 12:31 PM
http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204860518

http://shsu.edu/dept/marketing/great-name/images/Fritz.jpg

Willie Fritz has directed Sam Houston State to a 20-5 record in his two seasons as Bearkat head football coach. His 20 wins rank as Sam Houston's most victories in a two-year span.

Fritz earned Southland Conference "Coach of the Year" and American Football Coaches Association "Regional Coach of the Year" honors after Sam Houston State ran off 14 consecutive victories to earn the Southland Conference championship and a berth in NCAA Division I National Championship game and.

The 14 victories stand as the most in one season in Sam Houston's 96 years of football.

Combined with a pair of wins at the end of the 2010 schedule, the Bearkats' 16-game winning streak is the longest in school history and was the longest current streak in FCS play going into the national championship final.

Fritz, who has produced an overall record of 156 victories, 57 losses and one tied as a head coach, became the 14th head football coach at Sam Houston State University on December 18, 2011.

In his two seasons, he has taken a program that went 5-6 the year before his hiring to a 14-1 mark, the No. 1 seed in the NCAA Division I playoffs and a No. 2 final national ranking in 2011. Sam Houston's 14 victories included a perfect 7-0 Southland record to give the Bearkats their first undisputed Southland title.

During his 30-year career, Fritz has been part of programs both as a head coach and an assistant that have rolled up an overall record of 240 wins, 84 losses and five ties. The record includes nine appearances in post-season play (bowl games or playoff appearances) and 10 conference titles.

Fritz came to Huntsville from the University of Central Missouri were he ranked as the "winningest" coach in the Mules' 113-year football history.

Fritz rolled up a 97-47 record in 13 seasons as Central Missouri head coach. In 11 of those seasons, Central Missouri posted winning records. He is the only Central Missouri head coach to produce eight consecutive seasons of seven or more wins.

Fritz served as a graduate assistant for Bearkat squads that went 16-6 in 1984-85 and won the 1985 Gulf Star Conference championship

He was the secondary and special teams coach for the Bearkats in 1991 and 1992, helping lead Sam Houston to a Southland Conference championship and starting a special teams success tradition that lasted more than a decade. The "block party" saw Kat special teams block 80 punts, field goals and extra points in the 14 seasons from 1991 to 2004.

From 1993 to 1996, Fritz was head coach at Blinn College where turned around a program that had gone 5-24-1 in its three previous seasons. In just a short time, he produced a 39-5-1 record and two national junior college championships. For his efforts at Blinn, Fritz has been inducted into the NJCAA Hall of Fame.

As head coach at Central Missouri, Fritz led the Mules to their first post-season berth in 32 years when they defeated Minnesota-Duluth in the 2001 Mineral Water Bowl. A year later, Central Missouri earned its first NCAA Division II playoff berth after winning the Mid-America Athletic Association (MIAA) championship. Fritz coached 152 All-MIAA performers including 41 first team selections and 24 All-Americans. Fritz ranks No. 15 among active NCAA Division II head coach in victories.

In his 13 years at UCM, the Mules enjoyed an 84 percent graduation rate with three Academic All-Americans, 14 Academic All-Region and 144 MIAA Commissioner's Academic Honor Roll selections. Central Missouri ranked No. 11 in NCAA Division II football attendance.

Fritz was the second member of his family to coach at Central Missouri. His father, the late Harry Fritz, was the Mules' head football coach in 1952 and later become executive director of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA).

Fritz played college football at Pittsburg State University where he was a four-year starter as a defensive back and played on two conference championship teams. He was a student assistant coach for the Gorillas in 1982.

Fritz served as an assistant football coach at Shawnee Mission Northwest High School in Kansas in 1983 and at Willis High School in Texas in 1986 and was defensive coordinator at Coffeyville Community College in Kansas from 1987 to 1990.

Fritz and his wife Susan have three children, Wesley, Elaine and Brooke.

Wait wait wait wait wait.

There is the lovely Sam Houston math again. You can't count post season victories unless you're going to count post season defeats...20-6...let's get it right gobearkats.com. I mean, you guys were selling national runner up shirts. You were pretty proud of that loss

Jiggs
May 22nd, 2012, 01:03 PM
http://thehomewoodstar.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/pat-sullivan.jpg

Pat Sullivan was hired as Samford’s 35th head football coach on Dec. 1, 2006. In his five seasons as head coach, Sullivan has had a major impact on the program.

In 2011, the Bulldogs posting a record of 6-5 overall and 4-4 in Southern Conference play, after being picked to finish near the bottom of the league in the preseason. The season marked the program’s second winning season since joining the SoCon in 2008. During the season, the Bulldogs posted their first wins over Furman and Elon since joining the SoCon, as well as an impressive road win at The Citadel.

At the conclusion of the season, five Samford players were named All-Conference. Defensive back Corey White and running back Fabian Truss were named first team All-Conference, while offensive lineman Ryan Dudchock, wide receiver Kelsey Pope and placekicker Cameron Yaw were named to the second team.

The 2010 senior class, Sullivan’s first signing class at Samford, produced an All-American linebacker (Bryce Smith) and the all-time leading collegiate rusher in the history of the state of Alabama (Chris Evans).

In 2008, Sullivan led Samford to its first winning season since 2003 with a 6-5 overall record. The Bulldogs also finished tied for fourth in its first season in the Southern Conference after being picked to finish last in all of the league’s preseason polls. Following the 2008 season, five Samford players were named to the SoCon’s All-Conference teams, including running back Chris Evans, who became Samford’s first running back to rush for more than 1,000 yards in back-to-back seasons. Freshman quarterback Dustin Taliaferro was also named the 2008 SoCon Freshman of the Year.

After the 2009 season, five Samford players were named to the SoCon’s All-Conference team, and three more Bulldogs were named to the league’s All-Freshman team.

In his first season as Samford’s head coach in 2007 the program saw major improvements. The Bulldogs improved in nearly every offensive category from the 2006 season.

In addition to the successes on the field and in recruiting, Sullivan has made a major impact on the school’s fundraising efforts. The Cooney Family Field House, which is named for Birmingham business executive and Samford graduate Gary Cooney was opened prior to the 2009 season in the south end zone of Seibert Stadium. The field house was funded completely from private donations.

Sullivan, the winner of the 1971 Heisman Trophy as a quarterback at Auburn University, is the 35th head football coach in Samford history. He came to Samford after serving on the coaching staff at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) since 1999.

“In every respect, Pat exemplifies the qualities that are important to Samford,” Samford President Dr. Andrew Westmoreland said. “People are drawn to the strength of his character, his commitment to his student-athletes, his emphasis on performance in the classroom as well as on the field and his faith. In addition, his teams win. What more could we ask?”

While at UAB, Sullivan worked with the team’s quarterbacks and was the offensive coordinator from 1999-2005. He served as the assistant head coach and running backs coach in 2006. He recruited and coached Darrell Hackney, the all-time leading passer in UAB history, and the third-leading passer in Conference USA history. During Sullivan’s time at UAB, the Blazers posted an overall record of 43-49, and the 2004 team earned the program’s first bowl bid to the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl. Sullivan also has experience as a head coach at the Division I-FBS level, as he served as the head coach at TCU from 1992-97. He helped lead the Horned Frogs to back-to-back winning seasons for the first time in 42 years with records of 7-5 in 1994 and 6-5 in 1995. His 1994 team also earned a berth in the Independence Bowl, the school’s first bowl bid in 10 years.

Sullivan was named the 1994 Southwest Conference Coach of the Year. He also earned the Top Newcomer Award from American Football Quarterly in 1995 after taking the program from a 2-8-1 record in 1992 to the consecutive winning
seasons in 1994 and 1995. His six-year record at TCU was 24-42-1.

Before becoming head coach at TCU, Sullivan spent six seasons as an assistant coach at his alma mater, Auburn University. Sullivan coached the quarterbacks at Auburn, coaching three of the top passers in the program’s history (Jeff
Burger, Reggie Slack and Stan White). Sullivan, working under head coach Pat Dye, helped Auburn win three Southeastern Conference championships (1987, ’88, ’89) and post an overall record of 52-16-3. Sullivan, a 1972 graduate of Auburn, was a three-year starter at quarterback for the Tigers (1969-71). In addition
to winning the Heisman Trophy, he was named an All-American and the SEC Player of the Year in 1970 and 1971. He helped lead Auburn to three post-season bowl appearances, and was named the MVP of the 1970 Gator Bowl and the 1971 Sugar Bowl.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 22nd, 2012, 04:11 PM
HC Beau Baldwin, Eastern Washington University
http://sportspressnw.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/10fbcaBaldwinBeauTrophyDelaware15189_cKeithCurrieP hotography-e1325977356627-293x393.jpg

5th year
Record at EWU: 33-16

• After guiding Eastern to the 2010 NCAA Division I Championship, Baldwin was honored nationally as the College Sporting News Coach of the Year and the American Football Monthly Coach of the Year. He was also honored regionally by the Inland Northwest Sportswriters and Broadcasters (SWABS) as Coach of the Year. In addition, Baldwin was a Liberty Mutual FCS Coach of the Year finalist, as well as for the Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Award presented by The Sports Network.

• Now in his 19th season as a coach, his previous 17 seasons included 10 at Central Washington University and eight at Eastern Washington University. He also played quarterback for four seasons at CWU.

• Has coached on teams that have won two national titles (NCAA Division I in 2010; NAIA in 1995) and six conference championships (Big Sky Conference in 2004, 2005 and 2010; Great Northwest Athletic Conference in 2002; Columbia Football Association in 2000 and 1998).

• Has coached in 18 post-season playoff games (record of 11-6-1), including four appearances in the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision Playoffs (record of 5-3), two appearances in the NCAA Division II Playoffs (record of 2-2) and two appearances in the NAIA Playoffs (record of 4-1-1).

• Received bachelor’s degree from Central Washington University in 1996.

• He is formerly from Tacoma, Wash., and graduated from Curtis High School in 1990. His wife Nicole is from Spokane, Wash., and is a 2001 graduate of Eastern. They have two daughters *– Mia Janae (6) and Macie Patricia (4).

darell1976
May 22nd, 2012, 04:45 PM
http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=58642&SPID=6399&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=752162&Q_SEASON=2012

North Dakota HC Chris Mussman

Chris Mussman
Courtesy: FightingSioux.com
Release: 08/04/2010

The 2012 season will be the fifth for head coach Chris Mussman as he leads the Fighting Sioux into their first season as a Big Sky member and being eligible for the NCAA FCS Playoffs. Mussman and his UND football team will take the momentum of a Co-Great West Conference title, an 8-3 record and being nationally ranked to conclude a season for the first time in its Division I era to their new league.

Mussman's fourth season in the Red River Valley was the best of his head coaching tenure. His squad won seven of its last eight games, including four straight at the end to register a five-game turnaround from the 2010 season. He was named the Great West Coach of the Year by both his peers and the league's media and was also a finalist for the FCS Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year and Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Award.

Mussman received his first Gatorade bath as a head coach after a thrilling 38-37 victory over South Dakota that earned the Sioux a share of the final GWC football regular season title. UND rallied from a 20-point, fourth-quarter deficit to knock off the rival Coyotes. Sioux players accounted for a league-high 12 GWC Player of the Week accolades, including sophomore Jake Miller, who became the first player in league history to earn three consecutive weekly honors.

Miller was also one of three players to earn first team All-GWC honors, while six others earned second team accolades. Academically, the Sioux placed 11 players on the All-GWC Academic Team and junior offensive lineman Emmett Lynch was named to the Capital One Academic All-District Seven Team.

Lynch was also part of an offensive line unit that Mussman took over coaching prior to the season. The O-line allowed the fewest sacks among GWC teams in 2011 and also paved the way for Miller to rank second among league rushers in yardage and rushing touchdowns.

Mussman's third season was one of ups and downs for a young Sioux squad that reeled off all three of its wins at the Alerus Center. The UND offense averaged 45 points in those victories, outscoring its foes by an average of 30 points.

A pair of seniors earned first team All-Great West accolades for their play on the field. Linebacker Ryan Kasowski earned a spot on the coaches' team, while Joel Schwenzfeier landed a spot on the media's team. Seven players earned Great West weekly honors, while 10 more Sioux found their names on the league's all-academic team.

Among the highlights during Mussman's second season in 2009 were UND's highly-anticipated road opener against its first BCS opponent (Texas Tech) since 1976, a 31-17 home victory over then 16th-ranked Cal Poly, the opportunity to play for the team's first NCAA DI conference title, and a season-ending, down-to-the-wire, one-point win over Central Arkansas.

The Sioux finished the campaign with a 6-5 mark, which was the program's seventh straight winning season, and as the runner-up to UC Davis in the Great West standings.

For their efforts on the field, nine Sioux received GWC Player of the Week honors, including sophomore Broc Bellmore, who was one of six players to be recognized more than once. Redshirt freshman Mitch Sutton was named Great West Rookie of the Year and was selected to the all-conference first team. Sutton was joined on the all-conference roster by junior Ryan Kasowski (first team), sophomore Ismael Bamba (second team), senior Kyle Bondy (second team), junior Ty Boyle (second team), sophomore Dominique Hawkins (second team), senior Brandon Hellevang (second team), junior Kris Ankenbauer (honorable mention), and redshirt freshman Ross Brenneman (honorable mention).

While the on field achievements were easily recognizable, coach Mussman and his staff continually urged their student-athletes to strive for success in the classroom as well.

Two players received ESPN the Magazine Academic All-America honors and four were named to the ESPN the Magazine Academic All-District team. Hellevang and senior Andrew Miller were selected to the Football Championship Subdivision Athletics Directors Association Academic All-Star team and both were finalists for the ninth annual FCS ADA postgraduate scholarship. Miller becomes the first Fighting Sioux player to receive the award. He also received an NCAA Post-Graduate Scholarship.

During his first season as the head coach of the Fighting Sioux, Mussman guided the tradition-rich program to a 6-4 record as the University of North Dakota made its NCAA Division I Football Championship debut.

The Sioux registered their first victory as a DI program on Sept. 18 when they defeated the Idaho State Bengals, 38-35, in Pocatello, Idaho. They went on to finish 2-3 against DI opponents. UND was undefeated (4-0) against non-DI schools with a records of 3-0 and 1-0 against DII and DIII opponents, respectively.

Mussman also led North Dakota to a 1-2 record in its first season as member of the Great West Conference alongside Cal Poly, South Dakota, Southern Utah, and UC Davis.

The Sioux finished at the top of the GWC in several team categories, but most notably, they produced the league's most productive running back (Josh Murray) and kick returner (Dominique Hawkins).

The 2008 squad was not only recognized for its efforts on the field, but in the classroom as well. Four student-athletes were honored as academic all-Americans and league-high nine were selected to the Great West all-conference team. UND also topped the GWC as 16 players received fall all-academic honors.

Mussman became the 25th head coach in UND football history when he was introduced at a press conference on Jan. 4, 2008, after nine seasons on the Sioux coaching staff, including the last four as assistant head coach and the last seven as offensive coordinator.

Mussman possesses nearly two decades of collegiate coaching experience. During his nine seasons as an assistant on the UND staff, the Sioux went 90-24 (.789), won a Division II national championship in 2001, won five North Central Conference titles and made five NCAA Division II postseason appearances.

In 2007, Mussman directed arguably the most explosive offensive unit in the history of Fighting Sioux football. UND set school records for total yards (5,924), total touchdowns (60) and regular season scoring average (40.7 points per game).

UND finished the 2007 season as the NCC's top-ranked offense in scoring, total offense, total first downs, 3rd-down conversions and time of possession.

Individually, senior wide receiver Weston Dressler set a UND single-season record for receiving yardage and was named a Harlon Hill Trophy finalist, while two of Mussman's offensive linemen, juniors Mitch Braegelmann and Brian Troen, garnered several postseason awards between the two of them.

Additionally, junior quarterback Danny Freund set UND regular season records for passing yards (2,573) and touchdowns (24), while sophomore running back Ryan Chappell shattered the team's single-game rushing record with 306 yards against Central Washington on Sept. 15.

Offensive prominence was a staple of Sioux football during Mussman's time as offensive coordinator. UND's offensive record books are littered with accomplishments achieved under Mussman's watch, including the top three single-season passing yardage performances, top seven completion percentage performances and seven of the top eight marks for single-season receptions. Also, six of the top 10 highest-rated passers in UND history were tutored by Mussman.

During his seven years as UND's offensive coordinator, Mussman coached 32 All-NCC players on offense, including the two-time (2007, 2006) NCC Most Valuable Receiver in Dressler.

Since Mussman joined the UND coaching staff as offensive line coach in 1999, eight Sioux offensive linemen have earned first team all-conference honors, four have received first team All-America honors and Ben Olson (2003) and Chris Kuper (2004, 2005) were honored as the NCC's Most Valuable Offensive Linemen.

Kuper currently plays for the NFL's Denver Broncos, while Dressler now plays for the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League.

Prior to coming to UND, Mussman spent the previous eight seasons on the staff at Minnesota State University, Mankato. In 1996 Mussman was promoted to assistant head coach and offensive coordinator at MSU after serving as the Mavericks' offensive line and tight ends coach. Under Mussman, the 1996 Mavericks led the NCC in total offense.

In addition to coaching at UND and MSU, Mussman has also served as an instructor for UND's Physical Education and Exercise Science department and MSU's Health and Human Performance department.

Mussman holds a bachelor's degree in political science from Iowa State and a master's degree in sports management from MSU. He was a four-year letterwinner and starting offensive lineman at Iowa State, serving as a team captain in 1990.

Mussman and his wife, Shelley, have two sons: Jacob (15) and Jackson (13).

Chris Mussman's Coaching Record at UND:

Year
Great West
Win%
Finish
Overall
Win%

1-2-0
3rd
6-4-0

2-2-0
2nd
6-5-0

0-4-0
4th
3-8-0

3-1-0
T-1sh
8-3-0

Totals
6-9-0
23-20-0

Years at UND: 13 (fifth as head coach)

2011 Great West Coach of the Year
(GWC Coaches, GWC Media and College Sports Madness)
2011 Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Finalist (FCS)
2011 Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Finalist (FCS)

DJKyR0
May 22nd, 2012, 05:10 PM
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4553/fsjal.png

CrazyCat
May 22nd, 2012, 05:35 PM
Rob Ash

Ash is entering his sixth season as the coach at Montana State. It will be his 33rd year as a collegiate head coach. His time with the Bobcats has so far been highlighted by vastly improved academic performance by his players, a renewed commitment to community service and sustained success on the field.
It's all part of Ash's blueprint for football prosperity, a mission statement he and his staff drafted when they came to Bozeman to reshape the Bobcats.
MSU posted a .661 winning percentage in Ash's first five seasons. The team's Academic Progress Rate has improved some 60 points in that time, too. Beyond that, the Bobcats logged 1,000 hours of service this year, expanding their already significant role in the community.
"We're right at the five-year mark, and I'm very happy," Ash said recently. "We've set up our goals to try to win on the field, in the classroom and in the community. And we're doing it in all three areas."
The line between the proper treatment of players, the demand for high standards of conduct and the desire to win football games can sometimes be blurred. But Ash does things the right way.
Character and integrity lie at the heart of Ash's coaching philosophies. And he's proving you can win without compromising those values.
"We have a lot of requirements on our coaches that come down from my personal beliefs," said Ash, who has won 19 games and shares of two Big Sky Conference titles in the last two seasons. "We want to coach every guy like he's a member of our family, like I'd want my son to be coached. We don't ever cuss at our guys. There's a very, very minimal amount of swearing that ever goes on on our field. Negatives are usually quiet, positives are usually loud.
"We try to be teachers, not cheerleaders. In practice we try to help guys get better at technique and assignments so they can execute better in games. And we try to stay calm in games so we can be poised and play with intelligence. Our job as a coaching staff is not to coach hustle or effort or emotion. That has to come from (the players). Our job is not to pep them up necessarily, but to teach them how to play the game better. The players have got to bring the emotion, and luckily our guys do."

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/football/rachac-column-character-integrity-define-msu-s-ash/article_2c3883a2-3953-54e7-ac1a-ce453b4ff11e.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zp-5m_m7tU&feature=g-all-u