PDA

View Full Version : Potential CAA compromise?

aceinthehole
May 17th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Context:

- CAA Football is a seperate legal entity that is very important to UD, Towson, W&M, and JMU. There is a need to maintain a stable FCS conference until other opportunities (FBS) arise.

- CAA core members that don't play football are very concerned about the loss of quality basketball programs. They want strong hoop replacements for VCU and ODU.

Proposal:

- CAA Football adds 1 'old' and 3 'new' members, then splits into 2 divisions.

- North: UNH, Maine, URI, SBU, Albany, CCSU
- South: UD, Towson, W&M, JMU, 'Nova, UR

- The CAA would add 3 of the strongest basketball members it can get its hand on (for example, Davidson, Charleston, Boston U.)
- CAA would then have have 12 basketball members (only 4 that play FCS football)

Understanding:

- The CAA members that have football, particulary UD and JMU, aren't excited about adding basketball only memebrs to the CAA, but finding potential members with strong hoops, academics, and football is difficult get agreement on.

- CAA Football can be stabilized with "emerging" Northern FB programs, while UD and JMU work out a FBS plan or other alternative.

- Basically, I'm not sure how the CAA is going to get 3/4 approval for any new members with an a split between football and basketball factions, so maybe the best bet may be to keep the interest seperate.

Thoughts?

Rabbit74
May 17th, 2012, 09:08 PM
This compromise might not be a Colonial Conference for football. There would be only four members who are from the CAA. There would also be four from the American East. Remember that the football league changed to the Colonial from the Atlantic 10 when the number of the CAA members got to 6. So the group could if desired vote to be apart of some other conference. The Colonial needs to bring in football playing members to the all sports conference to gurantee that they keep control.

Seawolf97
May 17th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Boston Univ. would be a good fit except no football or baseball. They are starting a mens lax team next spring but they miss a few of the other sports the CAA sponsors. Womens sports at BU are strong all around. Should be an interesting summer for the AE.

Tim James
May 17th, 2012, 09:29 PM

I love that setup but it will never happen because it makes too much sense.

bandit
May 17th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Context:

- CAA Football is a seperate legal entity that is very important to UD, Towson, W&M, and JMU. There is a need to maintain a stable FCS conference until other opportunities (FBS) arise.

- CAA core members that don't play football are very concerned about the loss of quality basketball programs. They want strong hoop replacements for VCU and ODU.

Proposal:

- The CAA would add 3 of the strongest basketball members it can get its hand on (for example, Davidson, Charleston, Boston U.)
- CAA would then have have 12 basketball members (only 4 that play FCS football)

Understanding:

- The CAA members that have football, particulary UD and JMU, aren't excited about adding basketball only memebrs to the CAA, but finding potential members with strong hoops, academics, and football is difficult get agreement on.

- CAA Football can be stabilized with "emerging" Northern FB programs, while UD and JMU work out a FBS plan or other alternative.

- Basically, I'm not sure how the CAA is going to get 3/4 approval for any new members with an a split between football and basketball factions, so maybe the best bet may be to keep the interest seperate.

Thoughts?

I think this is fairly close to what we're going to see, although I'd suggest that Coastal Carolina probably has a good chance to be a part of the mix.

As for CCSU - i looked on the NEC page and saw their football stadium seems pretty small, 3500 I believe. Is that accurate, and are there plans for expansion? That seems somewhat small by CAA standards.

aceinthehole
May 18th, 2012, 06:56 AM
I think this is fairly close to what we're going to see, although I'd suggest that Coastal Carolina probably has a good chance to be a part of the mix.

As for CCSU - i looked on the NEC page and saw their football stadium seems pretty small, 3500 I believe. Is that accurate, and are there plans for expansion? That seems somewhat small by CAA standards.

CCSU will open up an expanded football stadium this September vs. Lehigh. The official capacity should now be be about 6,500. It is not as nice as SBU or Abany's facility under construction, but it will be "on par" with URI, Maine, and UNH (not really anything to be very proud of, but it meets our needs for now).

The follwing plans show that CCSU has built new bleachers on the East side of the Arute Field (the West side has existing grandstand, locker rooms and pressbox built in 2005). We are also rebuilt our baseball, softball, and soccer field with new outdoor track.

http://www.ccsu.edu/uploaded/departments/AdministrativeDepartments/Administrative_Affairs/images/University_Projects_Pics/28.jpg

This video from the professisonal ultimate disk team (Connecticut Constitution) that plays at Arute Field give a decent view of the new bleachers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOJ9GzWOTOY

NHwildEcat
May 18th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Context:

Proposal:

Understanding:

Thoughts?

URI would not work though...they are leaving the CAA already because of concerns of cost and do not feel that they can hand out that many scholarships. I don't think this would change their minds...

aceinthehole
May 18th, 2012, 07:49 AM
URI would not work though...they are leaving the CAA already because of concerns of cost and do not feel that they can hand out that many scholarships. I don't think this would change their minds...

URI left the CAA for the NEC because they saw their long-term interests just didn't align with UD, JMU, etc. For years, they tried unsuccessfully to get UNH and Maine to form a regional Northern-based full scholarship football league. URI knew it could not compete with the arms race of CAA South facilties and recruiting, and saw the writing on the wall. I can assure you URI isn't saving anything signifigant from the 20 less schollys in the NEC.

They would link back up with UNH and Maine in a heartbeat. They never really wanted to go to the NEC, they just didn't see a future in the CAA. Turns out they were right. URI wants to play full-scholl football in a REGIONAL league. IMO, the NE/NY public schools should be talking right now. Linking up UNH, Maine, URI, SBU, UA, and CCSU just makes too much sense!

At this point, JMU and eventually UD will make their way to FBS. UNH wanted to stay tied to those schools in FCS, but hopefully the writing is on the wall and UNH and Maine realize they needs a version Of "Hockey East" for FCS football - something they control, not UD and JMU.

NHwildEcat
May 18th, 2012, 08:15 AM
URI left the CAA for the NEC because they saw their long-term interests just didn't align with UD, JMU, etc. For years, they tried unsuccessfully to get UNH and Maine to form a regional Northern-based full scholarship football league. URI knew it could not compete with the arms race of CAA South facilties and recruiting, and saw the writing on the wall. I can assure you URI isn't saving anything signifigant from the 20 less schollys in the NEC.

They would link back up with UNH and Maine in a heartbeat. They never really wanted to go to the NEC, they just didn't see a future in the CAA. Turns out they were right. URI wants to play full-scholl football in a REGIONAL league. IMO, the NE/NY public schools should be talking right now. Linking up UNH, Maine, URI, SBU, UA, and CCSU just makes too much sense!

At this point, JMU and eventually UD will make their way to FBS. UNH wanted to stay tied to those schools in FCS, but hopefully the writing is on the wall and UNH and Maine realize they needs a version Of "Hockey East" for FCS football - something they control, not UD and JMU.

I unfortunately do not know what the decision makers at UNH think even as I have tried to question and get any bit of information I can I still remain as confused as just about everyone else as to the going-on in Durham. With that said, I have the strong feeling that UNH finds their situation in the AE to be comfortable and where they feel they compete best...I personally cannot stand the AE. I think it is a conference being brought down by some poor schools who do not share the same ideals. I want us to jump to the CAA. But, if we can't/won't I want us to form a NEW conference with Maine, Albany, and Stony Brook from the AE. If URI wanted in as you feel they would rather play with those schools (and I have no doubt that is whom they would like to be aligned with) then that would also be nice. CCSU would be a great addition too. After those 6 programs, I am not sure where else to go for selecting at a minimum 3 more programs...maybe Bryant, but I am not sold on them. Maybe dip down and grab a school or two from D2, New Haven or Saint Anselm (someone with football and competitive in most sports). Maybe a couple teams from the PL might want to make the move...I don't know.

But to me there should be no way we stay in AE...Vermont, Binghamton, UMBC, BU are all dragging us down...

Dane96
May 18th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I just read the UNH board...and I read this post...and I shake my head.

UNH...is pretty marginal in all-sports; I am not taking a dig but I am giving you a dose of reality. As much as I hate BU...they are not "dragging us down". Same with Bing in many sports. Basketball, THE current AE sport...UVM is a torch bearer.

What you should be saying is that they are ideologically different athletically than the AE-Football Four. That said, I don't believe that fully to be the case...I believe ideologically the only real issues you have are BU and possibly Hartford. UMBC would rush to have Towson join for a travel partner. Vermont could care less and would support the football schools...and Bing would do anything to stay together with the SUNY's.

henfan
May 18th, 2012, 08:22 AM
URI left the CAA for the NEC because they saw their long-term interests just didn't align with UD, JMU, etc. For years, they tried unsuccessfully to get UNH and Maine to form a regional Northern-based full scholarship football league.

I've not ever heard about a full scholarship option championed by Rhody. However, they, UMaine and BU were always publicly leading the charge for across the board scholarship reductions in the Yankee Conference and, later, the A-10.

While I'm sure they would have preferred to stay with historic rivals in NE, they ultimately did EXACTLY what they wanted when they made the decision to reduce equivalancies for FB.

aceinthehole
May 18th, 2012, 08:28 AM

UNH...is pretty marginal in all-sports; I am not taking a dig but I am giving you a dose of reality. As much as I hate BU...they are not "dragging us down". Same with Bing in many sports. Basketball, THE current AE sport...UVM is a torch bearer.

What you should be saying is that they are ideologically different athletically than the AE-Football Four. That said, I don't believe that fully to be the case...I believe ideologically the only real issues you have are BU and possibly Hartford. UMBC would rush to have Towson join for a travel partner. Vermont could care less and would support the football schools...and Bing would do anything to stay together with the SUNY's.

Exactly, D96

Football is a sperate issue and since enough of the current AE doesn't sponsor the sport, UNH should want to align with URI and CCSU for football. URI is more than willing to play football with UNH, but they aren't leaving the A-10 for the CAA in other sports. CCSU is willing to join UNH for football, but needs to move its other sports to the AE as well.

UNH can not compete in the CAA outside of football. The AE is perfect for UNH, they just need to stabilize football, and that can't happen when CAA South schools are steering the ship. URI saw that, but UNH because of their success was able to stick it out in the CAA.

NHwildEcat
May 18th, 2012, 09:04 AM

Thus my reason as to why CAA would be better for UNH as far as positioning themselves for future success. UNH can't compete in the AE for basketball because they are unable to recruit and I feel that in this example if they had a better conference affiliation they would likely be able to improve the recruits that they seek. Therfore increasing their competivtive abilities. This is even more true now because of the majore bball departures.

I don't take your statement about UNH being pretty marginal in all sports as a knock...I think that UNH should take this and use it as motivation to continue and improve, something I do not see happening in the AE. UNH is a hockey and football school, and in that order...all other sports are there because they have yet to be elminated and the NCAA requires a minimum number of programs. I would think moving to a better conference would allow the possiblities of a return to baseball or men's lax to become more of a reality.

henfan
May 18th, 2012, 09:10 AM
It might be shortsighted for anyone to underestimate Mark Huddleston's desire for UNH to compete in a conference with Delaware. I had the pleasure of speaking with him last Dec. after the FCS playoff game and he (and his wife) both seemed to appreciate UNH's & UD's relationship. Of course they still have a lot of friends in Newark. Whether or not that can translate into any affiliation beyond FB, I don't know. I suppose it would depend mostly on the direction UNH wants to take athletics and the types of investments that they think are realistic.

In any case, with former chief FB rival UMass & Rhody now off doing their own things and UConn, BU & UVm FB now long gone, I'd be surprised if UNH were banking its athletic future, particularly its FB program, on any other NE school.

aceinthehole
May 18th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I've not ever heard about a full scholarship option championed by Rhody. However, they, UMaine and BU were always publicly leading the charge for across the board scholarship reductions in the Yankee Conference and, later, the A-10.

While I'm sure they would have preferred to stay with historic rivals in NE, they ultimately did EXACTLY what they wanted when they made the decision to reduce equivalancies for FB.

Henfan - We will just have to disagree on interpreting URI's move, as I have heard from NEC sources. The money they save on 20 less scholarship expenses, is mostly offset by the loss of FBS game revenue - it is basically a wash.

URI left because they just could not compete compared to JMU, ODU, GA State, UD, Towson etc. when it came to facilities, recruiting, coaches/staff salaries, travel expenses, etc. URI could not operate financially in the CAA, but the 20 less schollys in the NEC wasn't their the main objective. URI wanted to operate football at the FCS level (as a bowl counter) within the Northeast region, however, at the time UMass, UNH, and Maine had no interest in retreating from the CAA.

From a UD fans perspective, I can see where it appears that URI sought to "de-emphasize" or "reduce their commitment" to football. And yes, compared to UD and JMU, that is exactly what URI did. However, it was not URI primary goal to reduce schollys to 40 - that was just a unavoidable result of the conference change that needed to happen for URI to sustain football.

MplsBison
May 18th, 2012, 09:30 AM
CCSU will open up an expanded football stadium this September vs. Lehigh. The official capacity should now be be about 6,500. It is not as nice as SBU or Abany's facility under construction, but it will be "on par" with URI, Maine, and UNH (not really anything to be very proud of, but it meets our needs for now).

The follwing plans show that CCSU has built new bleachers on the East side of the Arute Field (the West side has existing grandstand, locker rooms and pressbox built in 2005). We are also rebuilt our baseball, softball, and soccer field with new outdoor track.

This video from the professisonal ultimate disk team (Connecticut Constitution) that plays at Arute Field give a decent view of the new bleachers.

Wow.

Please don't take offense to this, but there are several high schools here in the cities that have facilities very close to what is shown in that architectural drawing.

aceinthehole
May 18th, 2012, 09:37 AM
It might be shortsighted for anyone to underestimate Mark Huddleston's desire for UNH to compete in a conference with Delaware. I had the pleasure of speaking with him last Dec. after the FCS playoff game and he (and his wife) both seemed to appreciate UNH's & UD's relationship. Of course they still have a lot of friends in Newark. Whether or not that can translate into any affiliation beyond FB, I don't know. I suppose it would depend mostly on the direction UNH wants to take athletics and the types of investments that they think are realistic.

In any case, with former chief FB rival UMass & Rhody now off doing their own things and UConn, BU & UVm FB now long gone, I'd be surprised if UNH were banking its athletic future, particularly its FB program, on any other NE school.

I agree 100%. UNH very much values its relationship with UD and most of the CAA. It is a very strong relationship and UNH was/is one of the biggest supports of CAA football, without a doubt.

However, with the most recent FCS/FBS moves throughout the country I think it is fair to say UD and JMU have a higher ceiling (FBS) in their near future. I doubt UNH can keep up, so UD may soon be like UMass and UConn, formal rivals that upgraded to FBS/I-A.

So the real question is - how long does UNH-UD solidarity remain, when it seems likely someday in the near future Delaware will have to move on to bigger (and hopefully better) things for football?

DFW HOYA
May 18th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Henfan - We will just have to disagree on interpreting URI's move, as I have heard from NEC sources. The money they save on 20 less scholarship expenses, is mostly offset by the loss of FBS game revenue - it is basically a wash.

An annual check from UConn, Buffalo, or Syracuse is not a reason on its own to offer 63 scholarships, though it seems to be a good idea at Fordham.

URI reduced its grants because the NEC offered less travel and competitive parity (i.e., winning) in a way the CAA would not, at a price it could justify. If the Rams were drawing 14,000 a game, this is a different subject. In 2011, it drew 4,715, or about that of Lafayette.

aceinthehole
May 18th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Wow.

Please don't take offense to this, but there are several high schools here in the cities that have facilities very close to what is shown in that architectural drawing.

None taken. It is what it is.

aceinthehole
May 18th, 2012, 09:59 AM
An annual check from UConn, Buffalo, or Syracuse is not a reason on its own to offer 63 scholarships, though it seems to be a good idea at Fordham.

No FBS games aren't worth offering 63 scholarships.

What I said was the loss of that FBS revenue check for URI is about equal to 20 scholarships expenses they have to drop by moving to the NEC.

Nothing more, nothing less.

henfan
May 18th, 2012, 10:06 AM

URI left because they just could not compete compared to JMU, ODU, GA State, UD, Towson etc. when it came to facilities, recruiting, coaches/staff salaries, travel expenses, etc.

Yes, we will have to agree to disagree on this point. Rhody had facilities that were at least comparable to UNH's and UMaine's and those schools have never had an issue competing with JMU, UD, ect.

IMO, the line that they couldn't compete in the CAA is pure hogwash, as anyone who has seem them play consistently over the last two and a half decades would know. They have done very little to promote their FB program, invested very little and, since the 1980's, made a series of poor coaching decisions.

Always the champion of FB scholarship reductions, the NEC move was indeed URI's way getting what they have wanted all along. Unfortunately, that move may also put their FB program in a death spiral. Hope I'm dead wrong. I just don't see how a flagship state school with an athletic history tied to A-10 and other New England flagships is going to boost support for a FB program that will now be competing in the NEC. Maybe they'll defy the odds.

At least I've some got fond memories of visiting Kingston and URI-UD FB battles from the old days. Sad to see them go.xbawlingx

MplsBison
May 18th, 2012, 10:34 AM

URI reduced its grants because the NEC offered less travel and competitive parity (i.e., winning) in a way the CAA would not, at a price it could justify. If the Rams were drawing 14,000 a game, this is a different subject. In 2011, it drew 4,715, or about that of Lafayette.

Then again, should they really be taking advice on what constitutes "a good reason" to offer more scholarships, from a fan of a school that is content to just have a varsity and fund it at the most minimal level possible?

MplsBison
May 18th, 2012, 10:35 AM
No FBS games aren't worth offering 63 scholarships.

What I said was the loss of that FBS revenue check for URI is about equal to 20 scholarships expenses they have to drop by moving to the NEC.

Nothing more, nothing less.

If the money is a wash, then yes it is a good enough reason.

Same goes for moving up to FBS.

In general: if the money is going to come out about the same -- why not give more? That's how you really should be looking at it. More is better.

MplsBison
May 18th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Yes, we will have to agree to disagree on this point. Rhody had facilities that were at least comparable to UNH's and UMaine's and those schools have never had an issue competing with JMU, UD, ect.

IMO, the line that they couldn't compete in the CAA is pure hogwash, as anyone who has seem them play consistently over the last two and a half decades would know. They have done very little to promote their FB program, invested very little and, since the 1980's, made a series of poor coaching decisions.

Always the champion of FB scholarship reductions, the NEC move was indeed URI's way getting what they have wanted all along. Unfortunately, that move may also put their FB program in a death spiral. Hope I'm dead wrong. I just don't see how a flagship state school with an athletic history tied to A-10 and other New England flagships is going to boost support for a FB program that will now be competing in the NEC. Maybe they'll defy the odds.

At least I've some got fond memories of visiting Kingston and URI-UD FB battles from the old days. Sad to see them go.xbawlingx

Take a look at Indiana St in the MVFC. Similarly difficult conference. Similarly bad program.

Then all of a sudden they came to life with the right coach and right admin support. No reason it couldn't happen at URI as well. And as mentioned, the money they're "saving" by switching over to the NEC in football is just going to be offset by the fact that they won't be eligible for payday games from FBS schools. They might even have to pay guarantees to get DII schools to come to their stadiums, for all I know.

UAalum72
May 18th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Wow.

I'm sure that's true, but there probably few if any high schools in the northeast with fairly new, comparable facilities (or at least in upstate NY).

DFW HOYA
May 18th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Then again, should they really be taking advice on what constitutes "a good reason" to offer more scholarships, from a fan of a school that is content to just have a varsity and fund it at the most minimal level possible?

Again, it's not minimal, it's comparable to nearly a dozen Eastern I-AA teams.

This year was the most successful year in football fundraising at Georgetown in over a decade--winning will do that, I suppose. There is much interest in building the base looking forward. But a school with 29 sports and nearly 800 student athletes is not going to spend 25% of its annual budget on a sport with no revenue potential in the Patriot League just because other smaller schools do.

MplsBison
May 18th, 2012, 10:56 AM

This year was the most successful year in football fundraising at Georgetown in over a decade--winning will do that, I suppose. There is much interest in building the base looking forward. But a school with 29 sports and nearly 800 student athletes is not going to spend 25% of its annual budget on a sport with no revenue potential in the Patriot League just because other smaller schools do.

Forget aid for a second.

How much money does G-town coaching staff make? That might give some clue into how "competitive" the G-town admin are willing to make the program.

Go...gate
May 18th, 2012, 03:46 PM

http://www.ccsu.edu/uploaded/departments/AdministrativeDepartments/Administrative_Affairs/images/University_Projects_Pics/28.jpg

Is the FB facility is the one with the track?

Go...gate
May 18th, 2012, 03:48 PM

It is a good sign, though. I hope you guys can find a way to stay in the Patriot League.

danefan
May 18th, 2012, 04:01 PM
No. What it's showing is the addition of stands on the visitors side of the football field which are the ones that are on the steaightaway for the track. Thy actually face away from the track.

The home side isn't pictured here

BucBisonAtLarge
May 18th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Ace-- I have been away from Connecticut for too long. This is great news. New Britain was always a great football town and I have no doubt you will be filling the new stands in no time. Last season aside, you have been building something great, despite laboring in the UConn media shadow.

aceinthehole
May 19th, 2012, 09:06 AM
No. What it's showing is the addition of stands on the visitors side of the football field which are the ones that are on the steaightaway for the track. Thy actually face away from the track.

The home side isn't pictured here

DF is correct. The "home" grandstand, lockerrooms, and press box is on the West side of the football/lax field and is not on the drawing, because it is existing. The drawing represenets the $8 million in renovations to CCSU's outdoor fields. The new track surrounds a new FieldTurf soccer field.

The new bleachers between Arute Field (football/lax) and the soccer/track field is actually built as an "A Frame." Although the bleachers are centered along the football field from goalline to goaline, the "back side" of the belachers does provide seating for soccer/track, as well as restroom facilities, etc.

BucBison - Thanks, we are making a lot of progress and New Britain and the surrounding community really does support CCSU athletics. Everything is moving along slower than I like because UConn sucks most of the State resources, but we are on the right track and headed in the right direction.

Seawolf97
May 19th, 2012, 10:52 AM
One caveat to AE Football if it came about is that it would have to be a full 63 scholarship league. I would not like to see a 40 something scholarship arrangement like the NEC. So if current NEC teams were to move to the AE in football they would have to ramp up 20 some odd scholarships. I know Albany is willing and able but are the others?

BisonHype!
May 19th, 2012, 12:28 PM

6,500 is the capacity.... yuck.

theSarge
May 20th, 2012, 05:39 PM
No way CCSU is in the CAA. Stony Brook is headed to the CAA along with Davidson and College of Charleston.

Dane96
May 20th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Wait...what happened to the Mountainers, the Paladins...

wmmii
May 20th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Think CAA will put their emphasis on addressing the BB this year and add two a schools with no football or at least one to replace VCU.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 20th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Think CAA will put their emphasis on addressing the BB this year and add two a schools with no football or at least one to replace VCU.

If the CAA doesnt add 1 football team to get to 9 football members, I hope Richmond would seek a new home. Having only 7 league games and 4 OOC games really isn't viable.

wmmii
May 20th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Both ODU and GS will play CAA games this year and some next so have time to add a team for FB but higher urgency in bb

Bogus Megapardus
May 20th, 2012, 11:01 PM
not going to spend 25% of its annual budget on a sport . . . in the Patriot League.

Because, to the Hoyas, the Patriot League simply isn't worth the overall effort. PL members just aren't Georgetown's peers so there's no sense it making an undue effort, right? Trust me, the message gets across loud and clear. We hear you. The television fiasco just reinforced that notion for many of (the rest of) us.

Nice season last year, though. Let's see you repeat it. Some Pards will be gunning for you, even if nobody at 37th and O could care less. We know it's just not your thing, but we're going to do our best anyhow.

Perhaps it's just me, but the the Pioneer really is starting to like like a much better "fit" for Georgetown football. Kinda like how MIT plays in the NEWMAC - just a place to park some sports, because colleges are "supposed" to have sports. It's not like MIT would mingle with Springfield or Wheaton at the annual non-profit glam-a-thon.

But good luck with that whole "no revenue potential in the Patriot league" thing, though. Really - have a ball. As long as that's what drives you.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 21st, 2012, 12:02 AM
Both ODU and GS will play CAA games this year and some next so have time to add a team for FB but higher urgency in bb

The only reason there may be higher urgency in hoops is because two member institutions have APR problems. If you're suggesting hoops additions to appease GMU, forget it. They'll leave whenever they get an offer elsewhere.

This year is it for ODU and GSU in the CAA. We need to add at least one football school now, to be effective '13-14.

Tribe4SF
May 21st, 2012, 07:17 AM

BigHouse is right. We need a new football member for the 2013 season to have a full eight game conference schedule. Going beyond nine teams can wait a year, but bring on Stony Brook now and get a leg up on basketball expansion at the same time.

NHwildEcat
May 21st, 2012, 07:29 AM
Stony Brook is just too obvious a choice at this point. They can help the CAA on both fronts. Also a Stony Brook move from the America East means something will have to give there too. Especially if the CAA is at all interested in bringing in BU as well. AE will need to fold or find some other schools willing to join their terrible conference as 7 teams is not enough...

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 21st, 2012, 07:54 AM
Stony Brook is just too obvious a choice at this point. They can help the CAA on both fronts. Also a Stony Brook move from the America East means something will have to give there too. Especially if the CAA is at all interested in bringing in BU as well. AE will need to fold or find some other schools willing to join their terrible conference as 7 teams is not enough...

I agree with you. Not only is it an obvious move but it should be an easy move.

I saw reference elsewhere to Hofstra blocking Stony Brook. This couldn't possibly be true, could it?

Dane96
May 21st, 2012, 08:04 AM

You mean the terrible conference where your subpar athletics program will reside?

NHwildEcat
May 21st, 2012, 08:35 AM
You mean the terrible conference where your subpar athletics program will reside?

Yeah, that one.

AE sucks man there is no hiding it. And it will only get worse and more weak if it loses ANY members, but especially two of them which could happen. You think it will be good if/when AE is an 7 or 8 team league? Give me a break.

danefan
May 21st, 2012, 08:40 AM
BU getting involved may indirectly cause an issue for Stony Brook.

Its certainly conceivable that neither Northeastern or Hofstra want another school in their town in their conference.

http://gonu.com/images/2010/9/8/small_Roby_head_color.jpg

"Hey Jeff - welcome to the CAA. Here's a bottle of scotch as a welcome gift. First order of business - you don't really want Stony Brook in your league do you?"

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.3718102.1337046292!/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/display_600/image.JPG
"Thanks Pat, I mean Pete. I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly... ... I see your point on Stoneybrook. What can we do. I'm still learning the league rules."

"I hope you enjoy the scotch. Perhaps we can share a glass in my apartment some time. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany....Well believe it or not, the Stony Brook - its two words - problem is an easy fix. You see, I hear BU is also making a move to trying to get into the CAA. Man the AEast must be a horrible league to be in right now. Anyway, don't worry about reading those by-laws. They're pretty simple. If you agree to vote against BU, then I'll agree to vote against Stony Brook. All we need to do is find one more school to vote in our bloc and we're good to go."

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.3718102.1337046292!/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/display_600/image.JPG
"Sweet Lincoln's mullet! It can't be that easy can it?"

"Believe it or not...it is. I'll give Zillmer a call. I know he just loves the America East guys...."

I'm proud of you Pat, I mean Pete. You kept your head on a swivel, and that's what you gotta do when you find yourself in a vicious cock fight."

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 21st, 2012, 08:58 AM
I'm not exactly sure what's going on here, but I'm definitely interested in finding out more.

Dane96
May 21st, 2012, 08:59 AM
BU getting involved may indirectly cause an issue for Stony Brook.

Its certainly conceivable that neither Northeastern or Hofstra want another school in their town in their conference.

"Hey Jeff - welcome to the CAA. Here's a bottle of scotch as a welcome gift. First order of business - you don't really want Stony Brook in your league do you?"

"Thanks Pat, I mean Pete. I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly... ... I see your point on Stoneybrook. What can we do. I'm still learning the league rules."

"I hope you enjoy the scotch. Perhaps we can share a glass in my apartment some time. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany....Well believe it or not, the Stony Brook - its two words - problem is an easy fix. You see, I hear BU is also making a move to trying to get into the CAA. Man the AEast must be a horrible league to be in right now. Anyway, don't worry about reading those by-laws. They're pretty simple. If you agree to vote against BU, then I'll agree to vote against Stony Brook. All we need to do is find one more school to vote in our bloc and we're good to go."

"Sweet Lincoln's mullet! It can't be that easy can it?"

"Believe it or not...it is. I'll give Zillmer a call. I know he just loves the America East guys...."

I'm proud of you Pat, I mean Pete. You kept your head on a swivel, and that's what you gotta do when you find yourself in a vicious cock fight."

Hillarious post!!!!!

PAllen
May 21st, 2012, 09:44 AM
Alright, stupid question:

Can someone please explain to me why it is so bad to have a conference mate in a cross town rivalry? This ain't the major leagues here guys. It's not like keeping them out of your conference will keep them out of your market. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not like they'll have to now share the revenue from the sale of local and regional TV rights.

Dane96
May 21st, 2012, 09:48 AM
BIDS...PLAYOFFS.

More teams...less bids. Lot easier to swallow when the team isn't in your market. Recruiting, coverage, fans...etc.

danefan
May 21st, 2012, 09:51 AM

Can someone please explain to me why it is so bad to have a conference mate in a cross town rivalry? This ain't the major leagues here guys. It's not like keeping them out of your conference will keep them out of your market. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not like they'll have to now share the revenue from the sale of local and regional TV rights.

It may not be bad for some schools, but I think it all depends on the locale.

phoenix3
May 21st, 2012, 04:13 PM
There's been a rumor that the CAA has contacted Elon. I have no Idea if that's true, BUT, if Davidson and C of C were to make the move, I could see Elon moving that way. 25% of Elon students come from NC. 46% of Elon Students come from a combination of MD, MA, NJ, VA, CT, PA and NY. The next state in the % category is FL which supplies 4%, less than each of the states mentioned above. So, as time goes by, many more alumni will likely reside in CAA country than reside in SoCon country. Plus, Elon is making a strong effort to raise the stature of basketball. A new convocation center/basketball arena is planned for 2020.

henfan
May 21st, 2012, 07:35 PM

Exactly. It has zero negative impact at the mid-major level. This isn't the NFL or even the ACC. If anything, having a close rival MINIMIZES travel costs and builds local interest in geographic rivalries.

The Richmond-VCU rivalry is going to be terrific for the A-10 and sports fans in the Richmond area.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 21st, 2012, 07:53 PM
Exactly. It has zero negative impact at the mid-major level. This isn't the NFL or even the ACC. If anything, having a close rival MINIMIZES travel costs and builds local interest in geographic rivalries.

The Richmond-VCU rivalry is going to be terrific for the A-10 and sports fans in the Richmond area.

Bingo.

Seawolf97
May 21st, 2012, 08:25 PM
There's been a rumor that the CAA has contacted Elon. I have no Idea if that's true, BUT, if Davidson and C of C were to make the move, I could see Elon moving that way. 25% of Elon students come from NC. 46% of Elon Students come from a combination of MD, MA, NJ, VA, CT, PA and NY. The next state in the % category is FL which supplies 4%, less than each of the states mentioned above. So, as time goes by, many more alumni will likely reside in CAA country than reside in SoCon country. Plus, Elon is making a strong effort to raise the stature of basketball. A new convocation center/basketball arena is planned for 2020.

I could see Elon in over Coastal Carolina , then add Davidson abd C of C.

alvinkayak6
May 21st, 2012, 11:48 PM
I could see Elon in over Coastal Carolina , then add Davidson abd C of C.

If Furman, Davidson, and C of C go to the CAA, that would certainly implode the Southern Conference. It means that Samford and Chattanooga and Western Carolina would be on the run. Do they go to the OVC then?

MplsBison
May 22nd, 2012, 01:58 PM
If Furman, Davidson, and C of C go to the CAA, that would certainly implode the Southern Conference. It means that Samford and Chattanooga and Western Carolina would be on the run. Do they go to the OVC then?

Or Big South?

elon77
May 22nd, 2012, 03:53 PM
What is JMU going to do? To a certain degree aren't they like Georgia Southern and App. State in that they got all dressed up for the dance and couldn't find a date. I'm not being negative about any of the three, but all three seem to want to move to FBS and is there anywhere for them to land? CUSA, Sun Belt, ACC nope, Big East nope, SEC nope, new conference?

whitey
May 22nd, 2012, 04:13 PM
JMU administrators only public statements have been that we're happy in the CAA. There are plenty of rumors that the MAC and WAC have both contacted JMU so who knows where this will all go. I'd say the MAC would definitely be an option if moving up to FBS was what the school wants, though JMU would be a bit of a geographical outlier in that conference.

Things are surely going to get messy again. Might be tomorrow might be next year or the year after. Rumors came out today that a number of ACC schools were contacted by the Big 12. Who knows what the Big East is going to do also. Until the big boys are done with their games the trickle down effect will not stop. ACC could lose teams to the Big 12, Big East to the ACC, CUSA to the Big East and then maybe more FCS/Sunbelt to C-USA.

MplsBison
May 22nd, 2012, 05:02 PM
How crazy would it be if schools like JMU, App St, Georgia Southern, Liberty, Delaware, etc. all propositioned the WAC, asking it to pull them up to FBS in exchange for saving the conference in the near term??

This is in regards to the rule requiring any school moving up to FBS to receive an invitation from an existing FBS conference.

whitey
May 22nd, 2012, 05:57 PM
How crazy would it be if schools like JMU, App St, Georgia Southern, Liberty, Delaware, etc. all propositioned the WAC, asking it to pull them up to FBS in exchange for saving the conference in the near term??

This is in regards to the rule requiring any school moving up to FBS to receive an invitation from an existing FBS conference.

Honestly, I don't think it would be that crazy at all. Especially if the move was for football only.

MplsBison
May 22nd, 2012, 06:15 PM
Just seemed like the WAC was left for dead...then at the 11th hour a bunch of Eastern time zone schools save it? Unreal.

But yes I can see it too, for football only. Question is, can WAC survive on the non-football side?

They need Boise to stick with the Big East and for the Big West to reject Boise's request to play non-football there.

Then WAC non-football would be:
Boise - Idaho
NM St - Denver
Utah Valley St - CSU Bakersfield
Seattle - ???Portland St???

Football:
Idaho
NM St
JMU??
Delaware??
App St??
GA Southern??
Liberty??
Portland St??

That's probably at least 5 charter flights a year for Portland St, Idaho and NM St (including non-conf).

Lehigh Football Nation
May 22nd, 2012, 07:59 PM
Things are surely going to get messy again. Might be tomorrow might be next year or the year after. Rumors came out today that a number of ACC schools were contacted by the Big 12. Who knows what the Big East is going to do also. Until the big boys are done with their games the trickle down effect will not stop. ACC could lose teams to the Big 12, Big East to the ACC, CUSA to the Big East and then maybe more FCS/Sunbelt to C-USA.

You want crazy? Think about this possibility: Va Tech going to the Big XII, and the ACC needing to replace them with the only remaining FBS school in the state of Virginia: Old Dominion.

whitey
May 22nd, 2012, 08:03 PM
You want crazy? Think about this possibility: Va Tech going to the Big XII, and the ACC needing to replace them with the only remaining FBS school in the state of Virginia: Old Dominion.

That would be crazy. ACC would surely look to what's left of the Big East (UConn, Rutgers) before looking at CUSA schools.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 22nd, 2012, 08:08 PM
That would be crazy. ACC would surely look to what's left of the Big East (UConn, Rutgers) before looking at CUSA schools.

Or Temple :D We've maintained close ties with a few ACC schools for hoops, especially Duke and Maryland. Our relationship with Duke goes back 25+ years.

Granted after the BE move I can't see us going anywhere for at least a little bit.

BlueHenSinfonian
May 22nd, 2012, 08:22 PM

The ACC already has UVA to lock up Virginia. The rumors I'd read were about Clemson and FSU - Clemson because they felt the conference had a NC bias, and FSU because they're actually an occasional championship contender and don't want to get locked out. If the Big XII took Clemson and FSU though, the ACC would probably look to grab either UCF or USF as well as perhaps of Memphis, Temple, or Rutgers, which would leave some spots open in the Big East, and if the Big East gets desperate enough, I could see them potentially looking at FCS schools.

The Cats
May 22nd, 2012, 10:20 PM
Honestly, I don't think it would be that crazy at all. Especially if the move was for football only.

Who would want them for the other sports?

jmufan
May 23rd, 2012, 12:25 AM
Not only that, I doubt ODU academics would fly in the ACC.

whitey
May 23rd, 2012, 06:59 AM
Who would want them for the other sports?

The CAA Football league and the CAA are two distinctly separate entities. In theory, JMU and Delaware could move up to a I-A conference for football only and leave their other sports parked in the CAA. Whether another conference would allow App State, Georgia Southern, Liberty, etc. to have the same arrangement I'm not sure.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 23rd, 2012, 08:50 AM
The ACC already has UVA to lock up Virginia. The rumors I'd read were about Clemson and FSU - Clemson because they felt the conference had a NC bias, and FSU because they're actually an occasional championship contender and don't want to get locked out. If the Big XII took Clemson and FSU though, the ACC would probably look to grab either UCF or USF as well as perhaps of Memphis, Temple, or Rutgers, which would leave some spots open in the Big East, and if the Big East gets desperate enough, I could see them potentially looking at FCS schools.

Right now, the ACC basically has a stranglehold on the entire state of VA on an FBS level. Getting ODU would allow them to still retain the state in its entirety, basically - in both the fall (football) and spring (basketball). People forget how great ODU is across a whole swathe of sports, including men's and women's basketball.

Even if the ACC doesn't look towards ODU for the state, as you point out the Big East might also be very interested in further splintering Virginia. ODU is in a terrific position now - as long as an opportunity comes up. If they get stuck in CUSA for the long haul, though, not so much.

GannonFan
May 23rd, 2012, 09:19 AM
Right now, the ACC basically has a stranglehold on the entire state of VA on an FBS level. Getting ODU would allow them to still retain the state in its entirety, basically - in both the fall (football) and spring (basketball). People forget how great ODU is across a whole swathe of sports, including men's and women's basketball.

Even if the ACC doesn't look towards ODU for the state, as you point out the Big East might also be very interested in further splintering Virginia. ODU is in a terrific position now - as long as an opportunity comes up. If they get stuck in CUSA for the long haul, though, not so much.

ODU was great in women's basketball a decade ago. They are a shell of their former selves. And the Big East isn't in the position to do anything, they are fading fast. There'll still be a Big East, for sure, but it will be MAC level when the dust settles.

DFW HOYA
May 23rd, 2012, 09:35 AM
And the Big East isn't in the position to do anything, they are fading fast. There'll still be a Big East, for sure, but it will be MAC level when the dust settles.

Well, thanks for the vote of support. The Big East is stronger than the critics give it credit.

FWIW, The Big East is not focusing on Virginia in any way, shape, or form. Virginia Tech did little in the Big East outside football, and never expanded interest in the conference statewide.

Longhorn
May 23rd, 2012, 05:51 PM
BIDS...PLAYOFFS.

More teams...less bids. Lot easier to swallow when the team isn't in your market. Recruiting, coverage, fans...etc.

Nonsense. Neither HU nor NU will block BU or SBU from joining the CAA, if those bids are extended. And their membership would be a good thing in generating greater competitive interest and lower travel costs among members schools. But I can understand why an Albany fan would poo-poo the idea given that Albany could be the odd man out.

danefan
May 23rd, 2012, 06:00 PM
Nonsense. Neither HU nor NU will block BU or SBU from joining the CAA, if those bids are extended. And their membership would be a good thing in generating greater competitive interest and lower travel costs among members schools. But I can understand why an Albany fan would poo-poo the idea given that Albany could be the odd man out.

Albany is the odd man out no matter what. Our admin blew this one 4-5 years ago when it allowed Stony Brook to pull away.

Even if SBU doesn't get in because someone does block them, the CAA isn't going to take Albany in their place.

Dane96
May 23rd, 2012, 08:56 PM

Actually...not nonsense. From a good horses mouth. You can be on the other end if you don't like what I have to say.

fc97
May 24th, 2012, 04:11 PM
so its back to elon, college of charleston, coastal carolina and davidson that have been for certain talked to

is stony brook that unpopular? is it possible there is a six team admission of the above and stony brook? it helps the caa in a number of sports, shores up football, pretty much keeps up the academic prestige overall, doesnt overall hurt any level of athletics and helps stregthen the league in baseball

BlueHenSinfonian
May 24th, 2012, 05:31 PM
so its back to elon, college of charleston, coastal carolina and davidson that have been for certain talked to

is stony brook that unpopular? is it possible there is a six team admission of the above and stony brook? it helps the caa in a number of sports, shores up football, pretty much keeps up the academic prestige overall, doesnt overall hurt any level of athletics and helps stregthen the league in baseball

I agree Stony Brook should be the first school tapped for membership. If HU and NU have a problem with it, they can leave and join the A-East - they aren't worth much to the CAA sense dropping football anyway. Stony Brook is a good school with a solid program on the upswing, and most importantly it throws a bone to UNH and Maine to keep them happy. The CAA needs UNH and Maine for football more than it needs HU and NU for everything else.

NHwildEcat
May 25th, 2012, 07:17 AM
I agree Stony Brook should be the first school tapped for membership. If HU and NU have a problem with it, they can leave and join the A-East - they aren't worth much to the CAA sense dropping football anyway. Stony Brook is a good school with a solid program on the upswing, and most importantly it throws a bone to UNH and Maine to keep them happy. The CAA needs UNH and Maine for football more than it needs HU and NU for everything else.

Yes adding SBU for football would make UNH and Maine happy...but if it's an all sports invite it becomes a double edged sword as UNH & Maine would then be losing an all conference mate. The AE already sits with only 9 members...SBU leaving puts it down to 8 and leaves things up in the air. But, rumor has it AE is looking to expand with Quinnipiac and another unnamed school. So it will be interesting to see what happens when the AE has its annual league meeting.

BucBisonAtLarge
May 25th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Quinnipiac could shore up the 'we have hockey elsewhere' contingent in the AE, like Maine, UNH, UVM and BU, but like the latter two, no fb. The NEC has seemed really well-managed, with the football schools at the heart of the conference and with an improving hoops profile, so a move to the AE is not about athletics but rubbing elbows with a few more elite neighbors. (They have a law school, you know, just like Yale). AE football looks less likely with the Q on the roster. They would be much less dead weight than Hartford, though.