PDA

View Full Version : ACC Friday night games

hiyosef
May 16th, 2012, 08:19 AM
A few years ago, App State moved their game with Wofford to a Fri. night for TV coverage. High school football coaches through-out the state hit the ceiling with outrage. They complained that Fri nights had been reserved for high school football. This game would take away their revenue, would keep people away from their games and completely upset the balance between high school and college football. High school coaches threatened to ban ASU recruiters from their campuses. Now, the ACC has announced the upcoming schedule, which includes 3 Fri night games on TV each year. I am wondering if high school coaches will react with the same anger towards the ACC that was aimed at ASU over one Fri night game. Does the ACC receive the same treatment as a team in the SoCon?

superman7515
May 16th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Personally, I think Friday night should be for high school football, Saturday for college, and Sunday for the pros. But anymore, all that matters is $$$, so they'll do what they want.

gotts
May 16th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Well, let's start delegating days of the week then.

Saturday - relevant college football
Sunday - NFL
Monday - NFL
Tuesday - OPEN
Wednesday - OPEN
Thursday - Georgia State games
Friday - high schools

SumItUp
May 16th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Well, let's start delegating days of the week then.

Saturday - relevant college football
Sunday - NFL
Monday - NFL
Tuesday - OPEN
Wednesday - OPEN
Thursday - Georgia State games
Friday - high schools

....and Tuesday is a bowling night.

Bogus Megapardus
May 16th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I can't imagine a need for ACC games on Friday night. This has the odor of an ESPN concoction.

Without Friday night H.S. football, there'd be no ACC. High Schools ought to make the same threat that they did against Appalachian - no visits to ACC schools and no coaches' response to ACC inquiries.

A boycott campaign by the H.S. players themselves - starting perhaps with a Facebook effort by a large group of team captains - might be effective.

It might backfire, too. Doesn't the ACC want prospective recruits to watch its members play on television? They're not going to watch if they're playing themselves or if they're on the ol' yellow bus on the way back from their rival game in next county over.

Next up? Saturday morning, 10:00 AM games. Why not step all over a traditional H.S. JV game time as well.

Bogus Megapardus
May 16th, 2012, 11:10 AM
....and Tuesday is a bowling night.

There ya go! xthumbsupx

MplsBison
May 16th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I wonder if they ever thought things would be like they are now when they did the first telecast of a football game.

The money is incredible to distribute football games by television (whether that be OTA, cable, dish or internet).

dgtw
May 16th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Personally, I think Friday night should be for high school football, Saturday for college, and Sunday for the pros. But anymore, all that matters is $$$, so they'll do what they want.

I agree, but they aren't going to ask us, so we'll see what happens.

ASU_Fanatic
May 16th, 2012, 10:43 PM
That game was the loudest I've ever been to at KBS.