PDA

View Full Version : UAlbany Stadium Construction Updates

danefan
May 14th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Webcam up and running.

Excavation has started and they've started compressing the soil to ensure a proper foundation.

http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=15800&ATCLID=205416910&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=15800&DB_LANG=C&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

MplsBison
May 14th, 2012, 07:11 PM
In a interesting turn of events, UA project director Bob Nelson noted one last minute change to the plans for the new stadium, "We all got together for one final look at the plans and we all agreed, unanimously on one thing...that elevator tower off to the side of the main grandstand just had to go".

Mr. Nelson explained that the "glaring eyesore" elevator tower would be replaced with a smaller, but just as equally functional tower within the main grandstand press box structure. "No one in their right mind would build something so out of place...so ugly, next to such a well thought out and beautiful stadium, we just couldn't allow it", said Mr. Nelson.

A guy can dream anyway...

DFW HOYA
May 14th, 2012, 07:15 PM
"No one in their right mind would build something so out of place...so ugly, next to such a well thought out and beautiful stadium, we just couldn't allow it", said Mr. Nelson.

Well, there's at least one architect out there in a bad mood about Albany.

Bogus Megapardus
May 14th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I liked the tower, personally. I'm probably in the minority on that, though. I thought that the elevator tower was kind of a tribute to the Nelson Rockefeller/Erastus Corning era "free-standing monolith" skyline of downtown Albany (even if a somewhat back-handed tribute). It fit becasue the stadium is in Albany.

Whether or not Rockefeller and/or Corning ever were in "their right mind" is a different issue.

Bogus Megapardus
May 14th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Webcam up and running.

Excavation has started and they've started compressing the soil to ensure a proper foundation.

http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=15800&ATCLID=205416910&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=15800&DB_LANG=C&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

Is the camera pointed in the direction of the main stands?

danefan
May 14th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Is the camera pointed in the direction of the main stands?

Yes.

Bogus Megapardus
July 18th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Looking at the current (July 18) construction webcam, it really doesn't look like the stadium will be ready for action any time soon. What's the projection?

Also - UAlbany folks, is it true that the Miss Albany Diner down on Broadway closed down? That place was a classic.

UAalum72
July 18th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Construction held up waiting for the ground to compress before they can put the footings in. Should start in another month or two. Probably open for spring practice or graduation (I hope).

Yes, the Miss Albany closed in February. A farewell fete for Miss Albany diner (http://blog.timesunion.com/tablehopping/29095/a-farewell-fete-for-miss-albany-diner/)

andy7171
July 18th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Where are you guys playing this year?

UAalum72
July 18th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Where are you guys playing this year?
Still on old University Field. The new construction is on the old soccer field - the soccer team will be using various fields around the city this year.

andy7171
July 18th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Still on old University Field. The new construction is on the old soccer field - the soccer team will be using various fields around the city this year.

Is soccer sharing the stadium?

UAalum72
July 18th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Is soccer sharing the stadium?
Yes, unfortunately. It's being referred to as the "Multi-Sport Complex".

I don't know why soccer couldn't have been put on the lacrosse field, or the track infield after the track is renovated - either of which would have more suitably-sized seating, and are used in the spring, not during soccer season.

Bogus Megapardus
July 18th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Construction held up waiting for the ground to compress before they can put the footings in. Should start in another month or two. Probably open for spring practice or graduation (I hope).

Yes, the Miss Albany closed in February. A farewell fete for Miss Albany diner (http://blog.timesunion.com/tablehopping/29095/a-farewell-fete-for-miss-albany-diner/)

I should pay more attention - I thought the goal was to be ready for this season. Obviously that would have required a herculean effort. Take the time and do it right. Winter construction would be a nightmare up there in the place of my childhood. I hope that all the footings are in and the principal concrete work is completed by mid-October. Concrete, icy water, frigid air and a foot-deep blanket of snow do not combine especially well.

I'm really looking forward to this stadium and I hope that Lafayette pays a visit. As a kid, we had RPI hockey and Siena basketball (my uncle played for Siena) but it was all Syracuse when it came to college football. The residents of the Capital District need this venue. I think it will be a tremendous success.

henfan
July 20th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I don't know why soccer couldn't have been put on the lacrosse field, or the track infield after the track is renovated - either of which would have more suitably-sized seating, and are used in the spring, not during soccer season.

Is MSOC a big deal at UA or is there a deep-pocketed booster who wants the sport at the FB stadium?

UAalum72
July 20th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Is MSOC a big deal at UA or is there a deep-pocketed booster who wants the sport at the FB stadium?
Certainly not a big deal (attendance in the low 100s), nor do I know of any big booster. They probably just didn't think that building a 'football-only' stadium would pass any public-relations test in the area, therefore the billing as a 'multi-sport complex'.

There have been some rumors that the big donor for the lacrosse field specified that it be used only for lax. The only excuse I can think of for not using that field as the regular soccer venue.

danefan
July 20th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Certainly not a big deal (attendance in the low 100s), nor do I know of any big booster. They probably just didn't think that building a 'football-only' stadium would pass any public-relations test in the area, therefore the billing as a 'multi-sport complex'.

There have been some rumors that the big donor for the lacrosse field specified that it be used only for lax. The only excuse I can think of for not using that field as the regular soccer venue.

I think the PR aspect is accurate.

At least the soccer lines will be temporary for soccer games only and washed off before football games. Football lines will be permanent.

PAllen
July 20th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Will women's soccer be played in the stadium too? If so, might be a title IX thing.

danefan
July 20th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Will women's soccer be played in the stadium too? If so, might be a title IX thing.

Yes. Very true. I think you can then qualify the stadium maintenance as gender neutral.