PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with Brett McMurphy

aceinthehole
May 10th, 2012, 04:20 PM
A very intersting read from VCUramsnation.com

In a college sports environment that has seen a boom in conference realignment action, there may be no busier journalist than CBS Sports’ own Brett McMurphy. A Tampa native, McMurphy spent 22 years with the Tampa Tribune before moving on to cover college football and basketball for AOL FanHouse. At FanHouse, McMurphy was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize in the breaking news category after uncovering a story about a college football coach who struck a player, lied about it, covered it up and tampered with witnesses in the school’s investigation, which was prompted by McMurphy’s reporting. Ram fans however are probably more familiar with McMurphy’s recent work, as he was the first to report VCU, along with Butler and George Mason were in talks with the Atlantic 10 to join the conference. McMurphy recently took time out from his busy schedule to answer a few questions for VCURamNation.com.
http://www.vcuramnation.com/2012/05/qa-with-brett-mcmurphy-of-cbs-sports/

aceinthehole
May 10th, 2012, 04:22 PM
About the A-10 rumors:

VRN: You recently Broke the news of the Atlantic 10 potentially adding Butler, VCU and Mason. One down, two to go…do you have any updates on the remaining two?

McMurphy: “I reported two months ago those three schools were in discussions with the A-10 to join the league. I thought it was comical how the next day or so VCU and Mason issued statements that they had not “accepted an offer” or “received an offer” to join the A-10. I never reported that. Of course, they didn’t have a “formal” offer, they were still in the kicking tires stage. Then soon after that the CAA held a teleconference to dispute my report and said there was no truth to it. Obviously my report was accurate. Butler is gone to the A-10 and VCU, Mason may not be far behind. Ironically on Thursday, Tom Yeager is quoted by the Richmond Times Dispatch saying: “I’d love to know, but I’m not going to call them every 10 minutes and say, ‘Have you made your mind up yet?” Huh? Yeager said in the teleconference my story was inaccurate – he also texted me saying the same thing – but now he’s quoted wondering if those schools have made up their mind on if they’re staying or leaving?”

MplsBison
May 10th, 2012, 04:37 PM
That's a real journalist there.

danefan
May 10th, 2012, 04:52 PM
The guy is obviously kicking around in a tight-lipped community that doesn't know how to manage the media.

Nothing about that makes him wrong.

He's doing a damn fine job of keeping fans in the mix of something that historically was done in Ivory Towers.