PDA

View Full Version : ODU and Charlotte to CUSA

JMU2004
May 1st, 2012, 03:53 PM
per cbssports.com

Wildcat80
May 1st, 2012, 03:56 PM
Well good for them! We get to visit on 9/22....for the W!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18923863/conference-usa-reloading-by-adding-6-schools

Apphole
May 1st, 2012, 03:58 PM
Clearing a sure spot in the Sunbelt for us. I'm totally ok with it. We still get to move AND I get to trade watching 4 seasons of watching UNCC lose most every game they play for watching 10+ seasons of the same!

Apparently there WAS room enough in this here town for the both of us. xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
May 1st, 2012, 04:17 PM
If the ODU to C-USA rumor is true - and it is still that, a rumor - they are headed to a terrible basketball conference.

Tuscon
May 1st, 2012, 04:20 PM
If the ODU to C-USA rumor is true - and it is still that, a rumor - they are headed to a terrible basketball conference.

Seriously, we get it. You hate McMurphy's reporting. ODU and Charlotte are going to the CUSA barring something crazy happening.

GA St. MBB Fan
May 1st, 2012, 04:30 PM

Yep. A terrible basketball conference. Because staying in a VCU-less and GMU-less CAA is a better a basketball conference.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 1st, 2012, 04:37 PM
Seriously, we get it. You hate McMurphy's reporting. ODU and Charlotte are going to the CUSA barring something crazy happening.

"Reporting" wouldn't be the word I would use.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 1st, 2012, 04:37 PM
@FairbankDP

Contrary to @McMurphyCBS report, sources say #ODU to C-USA not done or imminent. But a distinct possibility. #caahoops

Tuscon
May 1st, 2012, 04:43 PM
@FairbankDP

Contrary to @McMurphyCBS report, sources say #ODU to C-USA not done or imminent. But a distinct possibility. #caahoops

I'll see you: http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-state-sports/2012/04/03/gsu-hasnt-been-invited-to-sun-belt-yet/

And I'll raise you: http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-state-sports/2012/04/07/georgia-state-has-accepted-an-invitation-to-join-sun-belt/

aceinthehole
May 1st, 2012, 04:48 PM
LFN - you keep suggesting he is making things up out of thin air. This is not fiction. What sources do you have to the contrary or to question his reports?

He is reporting that these institutions are having serious discussions at the highest levels to negotiate a change in conference membership. He never promised that they are all "done deals." They are subject to official approval at some point.

This isn't fantasy, speculation, or conjecture like your posts on Loyola (Md.) to the Patriot League. He is reporting first hand from his sources of the contact and closed-door discussions between executives of public and private educational institutions.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 1st, 2012, 04:57 PM
I'll see you: http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-state-sports/2012/04/03/gsu-hasnt-been-invited-to-sun-belt-yet/

And I'll raise you: http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-state-sports/2012/04/07/georgia-state-has-accepted-an-invitation-to-join-sun-belt/

So let me get this straight. Two Atlanta reporters are better than ODU's own beat reporter? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Chisox17
May 1st, 2012, 05:00 PM
We haven't even finished building our stadium, and we have already gotten invited into an FBS conference. I love it! :D

Tuscon
May 1st, 2012, 05:00 PM
So let me get this straight. Two Atlanta reporters are better than ODU's own beat reporter? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

No? Those are links to articles written by Georgia State's beat writer for the AJC. The first highlights his refusal of any truth of a pending move to the Sun Belt. The second is a report on Georgia State's acceptance of an invitation by the Sun Belt.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 1st, 2012, 05:01 PM
LFN - you keep suggesting he is making things up out of thin air. This is not fiction. What sources do you have to the contrary or to question his reports?

He is reporting that these institutions are having serious discussions at the highest levels to negotiate a change in conference membership. He never promised that they are all "done deals." They are subject to official approval at some point.

This isn't fantasy, speculation, or conjecture like your posts on Loyola (Md.) to the Patriot League. He is reporting first hand from his sources of the contact and closed-door discussions between executives of public and private educational institutions.

McMurphy says - and I quote - "Conference USA, which has four schools departing to the Big East next season, is reloading by adding six schools in 2013, industry sources told CBSSports.com."

This is in direct contradiction to ODU's beat reporter, who said a move is not done or imminent.

How is that not considered leaking this as a "done deal"? What part of "not done or imminent" is so difficult for you to understand?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 1st, 2012, 05:04 PM
I'm not saying that McMurphy's article is definitely true, or definitely not true. I'm saying that there is one source for this story, Mr. McMurphy, which is contradicted by ODU's beat reporter. Last I heard, one source for a story is a rumor.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 1st, 2012, 05:05 PM

oh wait, it's TWO ODU beat reporters.

ODU writers @edmillervp and @FairbankDP say the @McMurphyCBS report is inaccurate, and no move is imminent (but Monarchs are in talks).

@edmillervp
C-USA source says Charlotte ready to announce Friday, #ODU "not ready to make a decision on it yet."

Tuscon
May 1st, 2012, 05:06 PM
I'm not saying that McMurphy's article is definitely true, or definitely not true. I'm saying that there is one source for this story, Mr. McMurphy, which is contradicted by ODU's beat reporter. Last I heard, one source for a story is a rumor.

And all I'm saying is we get it. You don't like McMurphy's reporting. The beat writer for a school has to keep a good relationship with the school they are covering. Doug(our beat writer) tried as hard as possible till the Sunday before the announcement to say nothing was going on. The school feeds the beat writer information. McMurphy has different sources that have different motives. I'm probably going to trust him a bit more.

hapapp
May 1st, 2012, 05:07 PM
From the Virginian Pilot:

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/05/conference-usa-targets-old-dominion-university

Mr. C
May 1st, 2012, 05:21 PM
Clearing a sure spot in the Sunbelt for us. I'm totally ok with it. We still get to move AND I get to trade watching 4 seasons of watching UNCC lose most every game they play for watching 10+ seasons of the same!

Apparently there WAS room enough in this here town for the both of us. xthumbsupx
App State has NEVER had an interest in going to the Sun Belt.

asumike83
May 1st, 2012, 05:25 PM

ODU writers @edmillervp and @FairbankDP say the @McMurphyCBS report is inaccurate, and no move is imminent (but Monarchs are in talks).

@edmillervp
C-USA source says Charlotte ready to announce Friday, #ODU "not ready to make a decision on it yet."

Saying that they are in talks but nothing is imminent sounds more like caution than anything. They don't want to say goodbye to the CAA and confirm reports, then have it fall apart at the last minute. In all likelihood though, I think they are gone unless something unforeseen happens.

Mr. C
May 1st, 2012, 05:28 PM

McMurphy has been wrong several times in reporting this stuff. What happened to his A-10 prediction for May 1?

asumike83
May 1st, 2012, 05:29 PM

Do you think that GA Southern heading that way would change any opinions at the top? I know they've been lukewarm (at best) to the idea, but the prospect of staying behind while our best football rival moves on cannot be too attractive either.

Tuscon
May 1st, 2012, 05:29 PM
McMurphy has been wrong several times in reporting this stuff. What happened to his A-10 prediction for May 1?

Date might be wrong, but I'm still pretty confident you aren't going to see VCU or GMU in the CAA much longer.

ASU_Fanatic
May 1st, 2012, 05:35 PM
Congrats UNCC! Enjoy that. I wish App would have gotten an invite, kinda surprised they didnt.

frozennorth
May 1st, 2012, 05:44 PM
countdown to stony brook to the caa?

tribe_pride
May 1st, 2012, 05:50 PM

Lenn Robbins of the NY Post reported the May 1 announcement date

danefan
May 1st, 2012, 06:09 PM
countdown to stony brook to the caa?

If the CAA loses GaSt, ODU, VCU and GMU wht do they do?

How long before JMU and Delaware are gone?

Does SBU or anyone else really even want to be in the CAA at that point?

Dane96
May 1st, 2012, 06:18 PM
Danefan hits it out of the park again.

I think when you lose the top of your hoops league...the CAA has some serious troubles. W&M may seriously look at the PL. Irrespective...I don't think UD has any desires to move up, at least publicly.

So...I sense some sort of merger (UNH, ALBANY, STONY BROOK, MAINE...UVM...et al).

Sir William
May 1st, 2012, 06:33 PM
Would love to see see Richmond and W&M come back to the SoCon.

Apphole
May 1st, 2012, 06:36 PM

Our admins are absolutely retarded if they don't accept an invite. With or without GaSo.

DFW HOYA
May 1st, 2012, 07:22 PM
Danefan hits it out of the park again.

I think when you lose the top of your hoops league...the CAA has some serious troubles. W&M may seriously look at the PL.

It wasn't that long ago Richmond's president had a similar thought, and he was run out of town.

MplsBison
May 1st, 2012, 07:24 PM
@FairbankDP

Wasn't this the same type of initial "rumor blowback" to the rumors that GA St was moving to the Sun Belt? I think even the commissioner went out of his way to say they were just talking.

Lo and behold...

MplsBison
May 1st, 2012, 07:28 PM
If the CAA loses GaSt, ODU, VCU and GMU wht do they do?

How long before JMU and Delaware are gone?

Does SBU or anyone else really even want to be in the CAA at that point?

America East becomes the third conference to take over admin duties of the atlantic FCS full-scholarship conference (A10 & CAA).

Albany/SB
UNH/Maine
Vermont/BU (new programs)

Villanova/Delaware
Towson/JMU
Richmond/W&M

heath
May 1st, 2012, 07:44 PM
ODU is ready,and Charlotte will be 3 years behind but eventually ready to compete. Great move for both, football and basketball.

Dane96
May 1st, 2012, 07:46 PM
Vermont and BU will likely never have football programs. Bank on it.

heath
May 1st, 2012, 07:52 PM

ODU will make it a better conference..............your Duke high is blurring your vision. BTW It is all about football.Ask your AD

Mr. C
May 1st, 2012, 07:53 PM
Our admins are absolutely retarded if they don't accept an invite. With or without GaSo.

No, it would be absolutely retarded for App State to go to a horrendous conference like the Sun Belt. This conference is even worse than the WAC.

WestCoastAggie
May 1st, 2012, 07:57 PM
Are Hampton, Norfolk State and/or SC State on the CAA radar?

Mr. C
May 1st, 2012, 07:58 PM
Lenn Robbins of the NY Post reported the May 1 announcement date

And so did McMurphy.

Mr. C
May 1st, 2012, 08:00 PM
Date might be wrong, but I'm still pretty confident you aren't going to see VCU or GMU in the CAA much longer.

But if they don't go to the A-10 then the story was wrong.

MplsBison
May 1st, 2012, 08:12 PM

Ten is plenty. I was just saying...

MplsBison
May 1st, 2012, 08:14 PM
No, it would be absolutely retarded for App State to go to a horrendous conference like the Sun Belt. This conference is even worse than the WAC.

You can't have a credible opinion in this because you cover FCS games. Obviously you want them to stay FCS - not because it's better for the program.

Sader87
May 1st, 2012, 08:17 PM
Villanova will probably replace GTown as an Associate Patriot League football member.

Delaware, Towson, UNH, Maine will probably meld with other (mostly public) Northeastern schools (Albany, Stony Brook, Central Conn etc) to form the latest Yankee Conference/ A-10/CAA configuration.

I see W&M and Richmond looking toward Dixie...probably SoCon.

Go...gate
May 1st, 2012, 08:40 PM
Would love to see see Richmond and W&M come back to the SoCon.

That actually makes sense. Wasn't W & M in the SoCon once upon a time?

91Niner
May 1st, 2012, 08:47 PM
We haven't even finished building our stadium, and we have already gotten invited into an FBS conference. I love it! :D

Too funny. I especially like how one particular UNC-Tweetsie fan acts like its no big deal. Especially after claiming how no one wanted us (because the SoCon and Big South saw the writing on the wall and thus wouldn't take us for FOOTBALL ONLY). He mocked us when we stated that the SoCon and BS would take us in a heartbeat if we wanted in for all sports. Who is laughing now?...........bahahaha.

HappyAppy
May 1st, 2012, 09:09 PM
Too funny. I especially like how one particular UNC-Tweetsie fan acts like its no big deal. Especially after claiming how no one wanted us (because the SoCon and Big South saw the writing on the wall and thus wouldn't take us for FOOTBALL ONLY). He mocked us when we stated that the SoCon and BS would take us in a heartbeat if we wanted in for all sports. Who is laughing now?...........bahahaha.

Congratulations on your invitation. You've really earned it. Now you don't have to post here anymore.

cbarrier90
May 1st, 2012, 09:19 PM

And I stand by that statement. Our football program is still in tact, and come September, we get to host what will be an amazing weekend as Montana comes to town.

I take it as a compliment that you consider "passing" Appalachian State football the crowning achievement in your school's athletic history, but at the end of the day, I firmly believe the ASU administration will make the right decision when the opportunity presents itself. C-USA has made their statement, and that is that they would rather have larger markets with poor football (or, in your case, none.)

Again, congratulations on re-joining a conference that kicked you out years ago. I'm sure ECU fans are loving the fact that they're now in a conference with a school that won't play in the conference until 2015.

Saint3333
May 1st, 2012, 09:55 PM

Watching another NC school join the FBS ranks and potentially your main football rival join the Sun Belt can alter one's perception.

aceinthehole
May 1st, 2012, 09:59 PM
"Reporting" wouldn't be the word I would use.

No, why not?

His sources have been accurate. He's reported "discussions" before most officials ever admited publicly they happened.

He has attributed everything to his sources involved with or close to the negotiations.

What sources do you have that shed any doubt on his reports?

Sader87
May 1st, 2012, 10:01 PM
Why does Peggy Lee's song "Is that all there is???" come to mind whenever I hear about schools that want to join the FBS below the BCS level???

There is nary a scintilla of difference (fan support, media coverage etc) between low FBS football (Sun-Belt, C-USA, MAC etc) and good FCS football.

aceinthehole
May 1st, 2012, 10:18 PM

@edmillervp

By 7:30 pm, the ODU writer confirms the details of McMurphy's report. ODU is in discussions with C-USA officials and was recommended by ECU officials. A decisions has not be made yet, but ODU officials said "Any decision regarding conference affiliation would require due diligence on the part of the University and athletics. There will be no further comments from the University at this time."

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-odu-cusa-0501-20120501,0,4681537.story

McMurphy scooped the ODU writer and when he dug for more information based on McMurphys scoop it was met with an acknowledgement from ODU officials of talks and site visits by C-USA officials.

Again, what are you bringing to the table that contradicts anything McMurphy has reported?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 1st, 2012, 10:48 PM
By 7:30 pm, the ODU writer confirms the details of McMurphy's report. ODU is in discussions with C-USA officials and was recommended by ECU officials. A decisions has not be made yet, but ODU officials said "Any decision regarding conference affiliation would require due diligence on the part of the University and athletics. There will be no further comments from the University at this time."

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-odu-cusa-0501-20120501,0,4681537.story

Old Dominion is studying a move to a reconfigured Conference USA, sources say, and has discussed membership with a number of different leagues, according to athletic director Wood Selig.

McMurphy scooped the ODU writer and when he dug for more information based on McMurphys scoop it was met with an acknowledgement from ODU officials of talks and site visits by C-USA officials.

Again, what are you bringing to the table that contradicts anything McMurphy has reported?

It is not the first time, and will undoubtedly not the last time, you've had problems with reading.

Old Dominion is studying a move to a reconfigured Conference USA, sources say, and has discussed membership with a number of different leagues, according to athletic director Wood Selig.

Conference USA, which has four schools departing to the Big East next season, is reloading by adding six schools in 2013, industry sources told CBSSports.com.

Florida International, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Texas San Antonio, Charlotte and Old Dominion will join C-USA giving the league 14 members. However, it's not clear how soon after 2013 Charlotte, which is beginning its football program in 2013, and ODU, currently in the FCS, would be able to compete as a C-USA football member.

Maybe, if you can't read the big words, perhaps if I dumb it down enough for you you might understand. One wrote: ODU is headed to C-USA. The other said ODU is still studying a move to C-USA.

I guess what I bring to the table is I actually read what people write.

BlueHenSinfonian
May 1st, 2012, 10:59 PM
I don't think UD has any desires to move up, at least publicly.

I hope it's that second part that's true. Delaware has always held its cards close to the chest until firm plans were in place. I'd like to think that with the whole 'Path to Prominence' plan in full effect that there has been some thought about athletics add to the perceived stature and community support to a school.

Mr. C
May 1st, 2012, 11:40 PM

Okay, all of you UNC-Charlotte fans, don't let the door hit your butt on your way out of FCS. Have fun as a bottom feeder in FBS.

Mr. C
May 1st, 2012, 11:41 PM
Watching another NC school join the FBS ranks and potentially your main football rival join the Sun Belt can alter one's perception.

In the long run, the best thing that ASU can do is not go into a lousy league like the Sun Belt. What does it gain your program?

Mr. C
May 1st, 2012, 11:45 PM
You can't have a credible opinion in this because you cover FCS games. Obviously you want them to stay FCS - not because it's better for the program.

You haven't had a credible opinion on anything around here since joining AGS in 2006. What does covering FCS games (and I've covered quite a few FBS/BCS teams too in 36 years of following college football) have to do with recognizing that the Sun Belt is an awful league? As I have written many times, with much documentation, moving up has a negative effect on almost all programs not named Boise State.

49RFootballNow
May 1st, 2012, 11:56 PM
ODU is ready,and Charlotte will be 3 years behind but eventually ready to compete. Great move for both, football and basketball.

Thanks for the kind remarks.

firemoose
May 2nd, 2012, 12:43 AM
In the long run, the best thing that ASU can do is not go into a lousy league like the Sun Belt. What does it gain your program?

Mr. C I don't post on here often, as you can tell, but I do have a reply to this post. App State is in the worst position of nearly any school in the country right now when it comes to football. What do we have to gain or loose? A lot in both cases but the most important is that we now have three schools that have popped up in our main recruiting areas and will soon be taking several hundred kids that were potential recruits away from us, and those schools are now passing us by. We don't really have much of a choice, if the SB offers we have to take it. There is no way we can continue to field winning teams with nothing to offer kids and no way to expand our recruiting areas unless we go FBS. Our hand has been forced, and that is only if we get an invite. As much as I will get flamed for saying this by the other schools it is only about one thing, money, translated into market, Market, MARKET. Winning program, tradition, and name recognition mean nothing to the FBS conferences because if it did they would not be taking teams that have never even snapped a ball or have only a couple years of football to point to. I have nothing against UNCC, ODU, Ga. State, or any of the others and wish them nothing but the best but App is in a no win situation. There is just no way to compete for top qualtity kids unless we move.

Go...gate
May 2nd, 2012, 01:04 AM

Agreed, though BU to the Patriot as an all-sport member (sans football) might have some traction, especially if VMI stays put.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 2nd, 2012, 03:00 AM
Mr. C I don't post on here often, as you can tell, but I do have a reply to this post. App State is in the worst position of nearly any school in the country right now when it comes to football. What do we have to gain or loose? A lot in both cases but the most important is that we now have three schools that have popped up in our main recruiting areas and will soon be taking several hundred kids that were potential recruits away from us, and those schools are now passing us by. We don't really have much of a choice, if the SB offers we have to take it. There is no way we can continue to field winning teams with nothing to offer kids and no way to expand our recruiting areas unless we go FBS. Our hand has been forced, and that is only if we get an invite. As much as I will get flamed for saying this by the other schools it is only about one thing, money, translated into market, Market, MARKET. Winning program, tradition, and name recognition mean nothing to the FBS conferences because if it did they would not be taking teams that have never even snapped a ball or have only a couple years of football to point to. I have nothing against UNCC, ODU, Ga. State, or any of the others and wish them nothing but the best but App is in a no win situation. There is just no way to compete for top qualtity kids unless we move.

Insert "JMU" for "App St." and "MAC" for "Sunbelt" and you have the same thing that most JMU fans feel.

Strangely, I think JMU and App St. are basically in the exact same position. Funny that we are the two school able to beat top 25 BCS teams and no one wants us.

Anyway, unless both schools go to their respective regional FBS conferences (Sunbelt and MAC), I see our schools tied together in the future. We are mirror images of each other in so many ways, both good and bad.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 2nd, 2012, 03:04 AM
As I have written many times, with much documentation, moving up has a negative effect on almost all programs not named Boise State.

For many years this was true. It still may be true. But the difference is that now the alternative of not moving up or staying still is perhaps not as positive. The reason is that all conferences are now being shaken up to the point of no recognition, like the CAA right now. The domino effect of what started 1-2 years ago in the development of the Mega Conferences is about to hit us hard in FCS land (and for all sports in general).

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2012, 06:48 AM
You haven't had a credible opinion on anything around here since joining AGS in 2006. What does covering FCS games (and I've covered quite a few FBS/BCS teams too in 36 years of following college football) have to do with recognizing that the Sun Belt is an awful league? As I have written many times, with much documentation, moving up has a negative effect on almost all programs not named Boise State.

Yep! More scholarships, more coaching salaries, more facilities. Just terrible what they've done! Shame on them!

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2012, 06:49 AM
Okay, all of you UNC-Charlotte fans, don't let the door hit your butt on your way out of FCS. Have fun as a bottom feeder in FBS.

What good is being the champion of a sub-division that is so watered down it doesn't mean anything to anybody?

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2012, 06:51 AM

Old school people *hate* change. Loath it, despise it - spit in its face.

C is very obviously one of these people. "Just leave us alone" and "keep things the way they are now" are his mantras. There is no room for change. No room for improvement, in his world.

Best leave him be.

realgsu
May 2nd, 2012, 06:59 AM
And the new FBS playoff format might kill FCS football as we know it. Because SOS will be an important part of the selection process, the big conferences will no longer have the luxury of scheduling FCS schools for money games...basically that role will be the exclusive province of the smaller FBS conferences. Without those money games, many schools won't be able to fund football at the D1 level.

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2012, 07:09 AM
And the new FBS playoff format might kill FCS football as we know it. Because SOS will be an important part of the selection process, the big conferences will no longer have the luxury of scheduling FCS schools for money games...basically that role will be the exclusive province of the smaller FBS conferences. Without those money games, many schools won't be able to fund football at the D1 level.

This is a great point!

A lot of FCS schools break even on money - ONLY because they schedule two FBS games at $400k or so. If those games go away, then FCS becomes exposed for what it really is for most schools in the division: a more expensive DII.

Another important note is that the low level FBS schools also get paid to play at the big time schools, except they make anywhere from $800k to $1M+.

So if you're still going to come out even on money, why not go up to the higher division? Why stay in the watered down FCS and be the champion of a more expensive DII?

WUTNDITWAA
May 2nd, 2012, 07:28 AM
Insert "JMU" for "App St." and "MAC" for "Sunbelt" and you have the same thing that most JMU fans feel.

Strangely, I think JMU and App St. are basically in the exact same position. Funny that we are the two school able to beat top 25 BCS teams and no one wants us.

Anyway, unless both schools go to their respective regional FBS conferences (Sunbelt and MAC), I see our schools tied together in the future. We are mirror images of each other in so many ways, both good and bad.

Yeah, we are the "woo girls" of college football this morning. Let's round up Delaware, ND State, Jacksonville St., and Montana. We can go down to the bar and continue to lie to ourselves that the reason we're still single is by choice. Just watch out for Delaware, Montana, she seems to be harboring an attraction to you.

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2012, 07:41 AM
Yeah, we are the "woo girls" of college football this morning. Let's round up Delaware, ND State, Jacksonville St., and Montana. We can go down to the bar and continue to lie to ourselves that the reason we're still single is by choice. Just watch out for Delaware, Montana, she seems to be harboring an attraction to you.

No worries. We'll continue to be champions of the watered down FCS for the next 15-20 years. NDSU pulled off the same trick in DII when they should've moved up 15-20 years earlier than they did.

dgtw
May 2nd, 2012, 08:06 AM
If ODU doesn't take this offer they are bloody fools as the opportunity will likely never pass their way again.

If I'm C-USA, I give Charlotte and ODU a drop dead date upon joining of when they need to be in full FBS compliance or they are out the door. A hybrid league of football and non-football does not work at the FBS level.

The Sun Belt is worse than the WAC? Granted, nobody will confuse the Sun Belt with the SEC, but that is an idiotic statement. I think the Sun Belt is better than the MAC and is much closer to C-USA than they were before. Do you really think they are worse than a conference consisting entirely of Idaho and New Mexico State?

AppAlum2003
May 2nd, 2012, 08:11 AM
Awesome, now we can never talk about UNCC on this website again.

I still love the analogy of the rich kid that inherits his daddy's business... here's to you, Bobby Newport!

ASUMountaineer
May 2nd, 2012, 08:24 AM

That's interesting considering the WAC, for all intents and purposes, only has NMSU and Idaho. I'm not saying the Sun Belt is the best option for ASU, but it may be the better option.

In spite of you and AppHole calling things "retarded," why is the Sun Belt worse than the WAC/SoCon? You apparently believe that, but I haven't seen your reasons for it. I'm not trying to be adversarial...I would seriously like to know your thoughts.

ASUMountaineer
May 2nd, 2012, 08:26 AM

It may not gain a lot, but can you tell us what staying in the SoCon gains ASU...other than 2 matchups on PBS throughout the season? I'm interested in the answer, especially if Georgia Southern moves to the Sun Belt, how does the SoCon benefit ASU in that situation?

Apphole
May 2nd, 2012, 08:30 AM

It really isn't. We've all known/expected UNCC to go CUSA for a few months now. If anything, I'm glad its finally becoming official because it is clearly paving a way for App and GaSo to move to the SBC. You are fortunate enough to be close to a major city. Its very consistent with your delusions that you would

A) Think that you have somehow earned this by institutional or athletic accomplishments. Without your location, you have no invite. Plain and simple. It has nothing to do with your basketball team, endowment ect. It is a ploy by the conference to parade the CUSA logo in NC's biggest metropolitan area and increase the renown of the existing schools.

B) Think that you have passed Appalachian. You have still yet to play a down and your FBS transition won't be complete until 3 or so years of losing to FCS teams. If our SBC move goes smoothly, we should be playing FBS ball before you do. I'm not going to pretend that the Sun Belt in on par with CUSA, but we will immediately be competitive while UNCC struggles to not only start a program, but transition to a fairly competitive FBS conference. It is a rocky road that their transient fanbase will not likely weather as well as some of their hopelessly pretentious AGS posters think. Occupying the gutter of their conference is familiar territory, despite their "our **** doesn't stink" attitudes. Meanwhile, App continues to win and continues to lead the SoCon/SBC in attendance.

Anyway, congrats on making it to CUSA. It is a good move for your school, but don't think it affects App and our fans. If UNCC had never existed, we still would never have gotten a CUSA invite.

Smitty
May 2nd, 2012, 08:33 AM
Wow there is a lot of envy going on in this thread...

Saint3333
May 2nd, 2012, 08:42 AM

firemoose you should post more often, great post.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 2nd, 2012, 08:55 AM
Yep! More scholarships, more coaching salaries, more facilities. Just terrible what they've done! Shame on them!

In the middle of unprecedented financial cutbacks for institutions of higher education, it's heartening to see you for the inflation of head coaching salaries and the construction of bigger and bigger athletics facilities in the middle of nowhere. All this for losing even more money and a shot at a **** bowl.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 2nd, 2012, 09:05 AM

First of all, a great post.

But I respectfully disagree. People have been bringing up the "we won't be able to recruit" bogeyman for eons now. Isn't App State's whole claim to fame that they've gotten kids that have slipped through the cracks? Good coaching, conference championships and a shot at the playoffs is not the **** recruiting pitch that you think it is.

The truth is there will always be kids that slip through the cracks, and with proposals to limit scholarships further at the FBS level that number will only increase. As long as there are quality conferences and scholarships on offer, kids will play whether it's Indiana or Indiana State.

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2012, 09:15 AM
In the middle of unprecedented financial cutbacks for institutions of higher education, it's heartening to see you for the inflation of head coaching salaries and the construction of bigger and bigger athletics facilities in the middle of nowhere. All this for losing even more money and a shot at a **** bowl.

Wrong division. You mistakenly thought this was a DIII board. This is division I football, sorry to have to inform you that only now when you've been posting so long.

No school is going to be ripping money out of anyone's hands to fund the move. Donors will voluntarily give more and students will have the opportunity to vote no on fee increases. Fans will have the opportunity to not renew season tickets at increased prices. Etc.

FBS schools break even on money, the same as the top FCS schools. You're being completely dishonest and using your own fabricated, bunk numbers when you say "losing even more money".

Just another jealous fan that knows full well his school has neither the means nor the will to ever explore the next level up. Enjoy the watered down FCS, I'm sure NDSU will be here to keep you company for a while.

WH49er
May 2nd, 2012, 09:53 AM
Meanwhile, App continues to win and continues to lead the SoCon/SBC in attendance.

Anyway, congrats on making it to CUSA. It is a good move for your school, but don't think it affects App and our fans. If UNCC had never existed, we still would never have gotten a CUSA invite.

I love the assumption that you are just going to walk in to the Sun Belt and own it. Please see WKU and then go thump your chest on the Sun Belt boards.

If any Charlotte fan says this about C-USA they are more than likely trying to get a rise out of you.

I hope App gets in the Sun Belt and we can all have the game that we want. That being said I feel like your AD is going screw this up. He is the benefactor of circumstance and when the time comes to make an important decision his lack of leadership will show. Godspeed App State!

TheRevSFA
May 2nd, 2012, 09:59 AM
Congrats Charlotte and ODU.

nwFL Griz
May 2nd, 2012, 10:05 AM
Did I miss something? When did App get a Sun Belt invite?

49RFootballNow
May 2nd, 2012, 10:10 AM
Awesome, now we can never talk about UNCC on this website again.

I still love the analogy of the rich kid that inherits his daddy's business... here's to you, Bobby Newport!

We will be playing two years in FCS so this wish may not come true for you till 2015.

ASUMountaineer
May 2nd, 2012, 10:10 AM
I love the assumption that you are just going to walk in to the Sun Belt and own it. Please see WKU and then go thump your chest on the Sun Belt boards.

If any Charlotte fan says this about C-USA they are more than likely trying to get a rise out of you.

I hope App gets in the Sun Belt and we can all have the game that we want. That being said I feel like your AD is going screw this up. He is the benefactor of circumstance and when the time comes to make an important decision his lack of leadership will show. Godspeed App State!

I'm not sure he was implying ASU would dominate the SBC, at least not in that post. He mentioned that ASU continues to leads the SoCon and SBC in attendance. That is true.

Charlie Cobb might screw this up, but he may not. It wasn't too long ago that many UNCC fans had no faith in Judy Rose, so things can change.

ASU is certainly in a tough spot, and without being located in a big market its opportunities are slim. We'll see what happens, patience is a virtue but it may not be an asset.

ASUMountaineer
May 2nd, 2012, 10:12 AM
We will be playing two years in FCS so this wish may not come true for you till 2015.

Well, you've been here over two years and have never played in FCS. So, why not keep that streak alive and go for 2+ years on the CUSA boards. xlolx

I don't wish UNCC posters to leave...the more posters, the better IMO.

Apphole
May 2nd, 2012, 10:19 AM

Never said we'd own it. If we join however, we will immediately be competitive. We would also lead the conference in attendance and fan base size. In CUSA on the other hand, UNCC will be at the bottom in fanship and attendance and be even more in the hole team wise.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for App to get a CUSA invite, but I can't say I'm jealous of Cee fans. You are in for quite the decade-long trudge to relevancy.

Apphole
May 2nd, 2012, 10:39 AM
Stole this fro, the GaSo board. Beautiful isn't it?

http://i.imgur.com/mUDDX.jpg

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2012, 10:41 AM

Not bad at all! And considering the rule saying you have to be invited up to the FBS level - this could be your last opportunity in a generation to go for it.

I'd like to see a graphic like that for the new C-USA, new MWC and new Big East as well.

GATA_Eagles
May 2nd, 2012, 10:42 AM

We stole it from the SBC board. This would be a great scenario

Apphole
May 2nd, 2012, 10:47 AM
I'd like to see a graphic like that for the new C-USA, new MWC and new Big East as well.

You might need a globe for that one

danefan
May 2nd, 2012, 10:50 AM
How does App St. and/or GSU not go to the Sun Belt now?

For once I agree with Mpls - it might be your only chance for the next 10 years.

Sycamore51
May 2nd, 2012, 10:56 AM
That map looks kind of like the poor man's SEC. Not a bad collection of schools, stadiums, and teams.

Apphole
May 2nd, 2012, 10:59 AM
How does App St. and/or GSU not go to the Sun Belt now?

For once I agree with Mpls - it might be your only chance for the next 10 years.

Agreed. I'm personally gonna kick Cobbs *** if he ****s this up

TheRevSFA
May 2nd, 2012, 11:24 AM
That map looks kind of like the poor man's SEC. Not a bad collection of schools, stadiums, and teams.

It's the SEC's meth using cousin

asumike83
May 2nd, 2012, 11:26 AM
Agreed. I'm personally gonna kick Cobbs *** if he ****s this up

He may get kicked straight to the unemployment line if he *****s this one up.

dgtw
May 2nd, 2012, 11:34 AM

So how would you do divisions with this lineup? Your two non-football schools are in the western part of the conference. you'd also want to keep in state rivals together. I think a South Division of Texas, Louisiana, Alabama and Florida schools would work, with the others in the North Division.

That way, each division has a non-football school. Also, everybody is in the same division as their in state rival and the two Southern Conference ex-pats are together.

However you slice it, that's a pretty decent league. How far is it from Boone to Atlanta, Nashville and wherever WKU is located?

GATA_Eagles
May 2nd, 2012, 11:35 AM
So how would you do divisions with this lineup? Your two non-football schools are in the western part of the conference. you'd also want to keep in state rivals together. I think a South Division of Texas, Louisiana, Alabama and Florida schools would work, with the others in the North Division.

That way, each division has a non-football school. Also, everybody is in the same division as their in state rival and the two Southern Conference ex-pats are together.

However you slice it, that's a pretty decent league. How far is it from Boone to Atlanta, Nashville and wherever WKU is located?

East/West Division:

East - FAU, Georgia Southern, App State, Georgia State, Troy, South Alabama.
West -MTSU. WKU, Arkansas State, Louisiana, Louisiana-Monroe, Texas State.

Apphole
May 2nd, 2012, 11:37 AM
East/West Division:

Sounds great to me. And I must reiterate, I will **** a brick if Cobb ****s this up for us.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 2nd, 2012, 11:37 AM
Looking at that map, would FAU file for bankruptcy after ten years of flying to all their sporting events in every sport, or only just five?

But wait - all those guarantee games with Florida State would pay for that. xlolx

youwouldno
May 2nd, 2012, 11:43 AM
I said all along C-USA had no real interest in App. It was just obvious from an economic perspective due to location/TV market.

The other thing is, App fans are wrong to assume they have some kind of open invitation to the Sun Belt. It's actually not a great fit for either side; from the SBC perspective, App is on the edge of their footprint and not easily accessible, and from the App perspective, the SBC is weak academically.

The Sun Belt could just stand pat- they already expanded in anticipation of the shake-up. Or, they could go to 14. But I think App would be their 3rd choice at best, and maybe 4th. First would probably be Georgia Southern... fits the geographic, academic, and athletic profile very well. Next would be NMSU, orphaned by the WAC's disintegration, which is a bit far but would bolster the western schools and is already FBS. Then App and JMU probably in some order, though like App JMU is a bad fit. The SBC would probably just stand pat if they didn't get 2 schools that were a good match.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 2nd, 2012, 12:01 PM
App. fans need to stop panicking. Unlike GSU's admin, App. State's has made all the right decisions and has been preparing for this conference fruit basket turnover. App. is more likely to get the invite than GSU.

Looking at that map, would FAU file for bankruptcy after ten years of flying to all their sporting events in every sport, or only just five?

But wait - all those guarantee games with Florida State would pay for that. xlolx

I won't be that bad considering the conference would most likely be divided into divisions in East/West.

DFW HOYA
May 2nd, 2012, 12:09 PM
Maybe App, JMU and a few others could buy the assets of the WAC and repurpose it as a I-A league on the East coast.

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2012, 01:02 PM
It's the SEC's meth using cousin

Says the fan of the FCS team.

TheRevSFA
May 2nd, 2012, 01:07 PM
Says the fan of the FCS team.

I know you're upset that NDSU isn't in the Big 12..but your day will come soon.

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2012, 01:09 PM

Most of the travel partners (for bball) are fairly straight forward roadtrips. TX St to UTA is the longest at 232 mi. For GA St to ASU - you could fly from Atlanta to Greensboro and drive from there. For FIU to GSU, you could fly from Miami to Savannah.

TheRevSFA
May 2nd, 2012, 01:16 PM
Most of the travel partners (for bball) are fairly straight forward roadtrips. TX St to UTA is the longest at 232 mi. For GA St to ASU - you could fly from Atlanta to Greensboro and drive from there. For FIU to GSU, you could fly from Miami to Savannah.

For basketball, the conference makes perfect sense. FIU unfortunately has lost their travel partner and there's not a reasonable replacement.

asumike83
May 2nd, 2012, 01:19 PM
Maybe App, JMU and a few others could buy the assets of the WAC and repurpose it as a I-A league on the East coast.

With the WAC on life support, that may have to be explored if no other options are available. However, with GA State, UNCC and ODU all spoken for, I'm not sure there are enough FCS teams looking to transition to form a new conference. Just one big cluster f*** all around.

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2012, 01:25 PM
Well I took a crack at modding the wikipedia map entry for C-USA, using the 6 reported schools mentioned in the cbssports report.

CUSA:

http://i45.tinypic.com/dh4wnm.png

Sun Belt:

Lehigh Football Nation
May 2nd, 2012, 01:49 PM
Might be time to put away Microsoft Paint:

http://www.eyesradio.com/2012/52-breaking-news-about-george-mason-to-the-a10/

—By Thomas Block, Program Director for Eyesradio @tomcblock
For many months rumors have been circulating about the George Mason Patriots leave the CAA and joining the Atlantic-10 conference. Depending on who you talked to it was either accepted as a great thing for Mason or just bad timing.

I have learned today from sources within the Athletic Department that George Mason WILL NOT be going to the Atlantic-10 and this decision just happened within the last day or so. The hesitation to make the jump was the ultimate factor and had nothing to do with what VCU wanted to accomplish. At this time, it is unclear if VCU is still in the position to make the move.

Unconfirmed reports though suggest that incoming President, Dr. Angel Cabrera, was not in favor of the move. As additional details become available, I will post updates to this story

AppMan
May 2nd, 2012, 01:59 PM
Breaking it down into North & South divisions for football with Texas State, ULL, ULM, Ark State, S Ala & FAU in the South / Troy, MTSU, WKU, Ga State, GSU, & App State in the North I could live with it.

TheRevSFA
May 2nd, 2012, 02:00 PM
Breaking it down into North & South divisions for football with Texas State, ULL, ULM, Ark State, S Ala & FAU in the South / Troy, MTSU, WKU, Ga State, GSU, & App State in the North I could live with it.

Why would you put FAU and Texas State in the same division? Travel wise that's not good

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2012, 06:48 PM
Here are modified MWC and Big East maps from the wikipedia articles. I put gray on the dots for Boise and San Diego St on the MWC map because I ultimately don't believe they're going to the Big East. BCS auto bids are dead and then so too is any reason for them to be in the Big East. Likewise I cut off the western US portion of the Big East map.

It's really too darn bad that Idaho and New Mexico St can slide into the Mountain West.

Mountain West

http://i46.tinypic.com/b7ewwm.png

Big East

http://i46.tinypic.com/33m7mms.png

WUTNDITWAA
May 2nd, 2012, 07:29 PM

I have a question. Why is the Sun Belt horrendous? Had you said "horendous decision for ASU", "or the travel will be horrrendous", I may not agree, but I would understand that one could construct such an argument. However, to say "horrendous conference like the Sun Belt" is highly off-base. If the Sun Belt adds established and proven programs like ASU and Georgia Southern, it improves its standing this offseason. It may even pass with C-USA in time.

Tuscon
May 2nd, 2012, 08:10 PM
I have a question. Why is the Sun Belt horrendous? Had you said "horendous decision for ASU", "or the travel will be horrrendous", I may not agree, but I would understand that one could construct such an argument. However, to say "horrendous conference like the Sun Belt" is highly off-base. If the Sun Belt adds established and proven programs like ASU and Georgia Southern, it improves its standing this offseason. It may even pass with C-USA in time.

Come on guy, the two member WAC is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the SLUM belt.[/sarcasm]

superman7515
May 3rd, 2012, 07:31 AM
http://hamptonroads.com/2012/05/odu-weighs-pros-and-cons-potential-conference-move

ODU and fellow CAA members Delaware and James Madison were approached at the Final Four last month about a possible move to C-USA, a source within the conference said. The Monarchs indicated they weren't interested in making a move as soon as 2013. In light of reports that Virginia Commonwealth and George Mason are weighing a move to the Atlantic 10, ODU reconsidered.

MplsBison
May 3rd, 2012, 07:35 AM
http://hamptonroads.com/2012/05/odu-weighs-pros-and-cons-potential-conference-move

Well obviously JMU would jump at the chance to be in the CUSA with East Carolina, Marshall, etc.

How about Delaware?

danefan
May 3rd, 2012, 07:45 AM
Well obviously JMU would jump at the chance to be in the CUSA with East Carolina, Marshall, etc.

How about Delaware?

Facing a CAA without JMU, ODU and possibly Villanova?

MplsBison
May 3rd, 2012, 08:01 AM
Facing a CAA without JMU, ODU and possibly Villanova?

Delaware - Towson...that's a good rivalry, right?

They better get Youngstown over, quick!

Sycamore51
May 3rd, 2012, 08:10 AM
East/West Division:

I don't have a dog in the fight, but I would go:
East-FAU, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, App State, MTSU, WKU
West-ASU, UL, L-M, Texas St, Troy, USA

91Niner
May 3rd, 2012, 09:27 AM
It really isn't. We've all known/expected UNCC to go CUSA for a few months now. If anything, I'm glad its finally becoming official because it is clearly paving a way for App and GaSo to move to the SBC. You are fortunate enough to be close to a major city. Its very consistent with your delusions that you would

A) Think that you have somehow earned this by institutional or athletic accomplishments. Without your location, you have no invite. Plain and simple. It has nothing to do with your basketball team, endowment ect. It is a ploy by the conference to parade the CUSA logo in NC's biggest metropolitan area and increase the renown of the existing schools.

B) Think that you have passed Appalachian. You have still yet to play a down and your FBS transition won't be complete until 3 or so years of losing to FCS teams. If our SBC move goes smoothly, we should be playing FBS ball before you do. I'm not going to pretend that the Sun Belt in on par with CUSA, but we will immediately be competitive while UNCC struggles to not only start a program, but transition to a fairly competitive FBS conference. It is a rocky road that their transient fanbase will not likely weather as well as some of their hopelessly pretentious AGS posters think. Occupying the gutter of their conference is familiar territory, despite their "our **** doesn't stink" attitudes. Meanwhile, App continues to win and continues to lead the SoCon/SBC in attendance.

Me thinks thou doth protest too much.

Tintin
May 3rd, 2012, 10:45 AM

Polish that turd, Appy.

GA St. MBB Fan
May 5th, 2012, 09:51 AM

Boone, NC to ATL, GA - 5 Hrs, 10 Mins - 300 miles.
Murfreesboro, TN to ATL, GA - 3 Hrs, 50 Mins - 216 miles
Bowling Green, KY (WKU) to ATL, GA - 5 Hrs, 21 Mins - 310 miles
Troy, AL to ATL, GA - 3 Hrs, 9 Mins - 181 miles
Mobile, AL to ATL, GA - 5 Hrs, 19 Mins - 327 miles

Lehigh Football Nation
May 7th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Beat writer @edmillervp tweets:

Were #odu to announce FBS move after June 1 it might lose chance to play for CAA FB auto bid in 2012 but would remain eligible for at-large

Any move prior to June 1 would automatically mean loss of FCS post-season eligibility #odu

Interesting side note on any move to C-USA.

dgtw
May 7th, 2012, 09:13 PM
If you are going to go, then just go. Waiting until after June 1 just to use a loophole to try to get in the playoffs is not not going to help your cause when negotiating an exit settlement with the CAA.

superman7515
May 10th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Richmond AD On VCU/GMU/ODU (http://www.vcuramnation.com/2012/05/miller-time-uofr-ad-dropping-hints-on-possible-vcu-move/)

On ODU moving to CUSA: “Old Dominion I understand is most likely to accept a bid to Conference USA, I think that’s immanent from everything I’ve heard, that they’re making an announcement on Monday. I haven’t heard that from any ODU folks, but that’s what I understand is right around the corner.”

bluehenbillk
May 10th, 2012, 08:30 AM
"get, get, get the ****out!!"

Lehigh Football Nation
May 10th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Richmond AD On VCU/GMU/ODU (http://www.vcuramnation.com/2012/05/miller-time-uofr-ad-dropping-hints-on-possible-vcu-move/)

What a surprise! An Atlantic 10 AD saying that an ODU CUSA move is "imminent", thus thrusting GMU and VCU to... the Atlantic 10! xrolleyesx

It's becoming more and more clear to me that this GMU/VCU/ODU thing is a Mexican Standoff, with every party waiting to see who's going to pull the trigger.

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/215-caa-schools-guns-at-the-ready

It's looking like ODU's the one that folks are wondering if they'll "shoot". I'm stating to believe that Mason and VCU won't move unless ODU makes the jump.

MplsBison
May 10th, 2012, 12:44 PM

So if the CAA loses all three and Delaware has an offer from the MAC....

superman7515
May 10th, 2012, 01:04 PM
So if the CAA loses all three and Delaware has an offer from the MAC....

http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/images/07-minister.jpg

Everything is just fine. There are no FBS conferences picking off FCS teams. The CAA will remain at the top level of mid-major conferences.

TheDancinMonarch
May 10th, 2012, 01:15 PM
What a surprise! An Atlantic 10 AD saying that an ODU CUSA move is "imminent", thus thrusting GMU and VCU to... the Atlantic 10! xrolleyesx

It's becoming more and more clear to me that this GMU/VCU/ODU thing is a Mexican Standoff, with every party waiting to see who's going to pull the trigger.

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/215-caa-schools-guns-at-the-ready

It's looking like ODU's the one that folks are wondering if they'll "shoot". I'm stating to believe that Mason and VCU won't move unless ODU makes the jump.

It's kind of sad that these theoretically intelligent people are incabable of sitting down with each other and concluding that it is in their best interests to stay together. It is even worse that they cannot look each other in the eye and believe what the others are saying. This distrust will cause then to rue the decisions they make to split up. And I'm being critical all all three schools equally.

Dane96
May 10th, 2012, 11:18 PM

More to it than that...and I trust my sources who are never wrong...and I mean EVER with this stuff.

A few A-Ten schools are threatening to leave it GMU and VCU come aboard; somewhat prominent schools. Right now the rest of the membership is questioning calling those schools bluff.

WMTribe90
May 10th, 2012, 11:32 PM

i have a similar belief, but I think it is ODU that is waiting to see what VCU and GMU do before deciding to accept or decline a CUSA invite. Unlike GaSt., I never got the impression that ODU was hell bent on going FBS ASAP. I think ODU would be content or even prefer staying in the CAA in the near term if GaSt is the only departure. If VCU and GMU leave then all bets are off.

Also agree that Ad Miller at UR has no idea what ODU is going to do, but is more than happy to drive a wedge in the hopes he brings about a split. he's harly a reliable/objective source on the topic.

WMTribe90
May 10th, 2012, 11:39 PM
More to it than that...and I trust my sources who are never wrong...and I mean EVER with this stuff.

A few A-Ten schools are threatening to leave it GMU and VCU come aboard; somewhat prominent schools. Right now the rest of the membership is questioning calling those schools bluff.

Interesting. Assuming this is true, why would some A10 members be opposed to strengthening the league's premier sport? Why oppose VCU and GMU and not Butler. I could see UR not wanting to share Richmond with VCU, but Miller's comments indicate he's in favor of the A10's addition of VCU and GMU. Where would the departing A10 schools realistically bolt to if they followed through with their threat?

I hope you are right, because if VCU and GMU stay then I think ODU will too.

danefan
May 11th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Interesting. Assuming this is true, why would some A10 members be opposed to strengthening the league's premier sport? Why oppose VCU and GMU and not Butler. I could see UR not wanting to share Richmond with VCU, but Miller's comments indicate he's in favor of the A10's addition of VCU and GMU. Where would the departing A10 schools realistically bolt to if they followed through with their threat?

I hope you are right, because if VCU and GMU stay then I think ODU will too.

VCU and GMU could easily become tops in the A10 bball ranks quickly. Pushing those in the middle of the pack further and further away from at-large bids.

aceinthehole
May 11th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I think this is about timing. It may not be the ideal time for these changes, but the next opportunity may not come for a decade or more.

IMO this could be the only opportunity GMU ever gets at stepping it up in class to a league like the A-10. I would have to think that is a big factor the president and AD to weigh when the make their decision. IMO - GMU would be crazy not to cash in the chips they earned from the Final Four. I think GMU realizes that if the CAA stays together, VCU and ODU set up for more long-term success in the CAA.

VCU can probably wait to make the move (and is more likely to be offered again in the near future), but with the offer on the table and GMU likely doing the same, I would think VCU officials take the opportunity now insead of waiting for the uncertain future.

I think the same applies to ODU. I'm sure they would love to stay in the CAA/FCS for 5 more years and then move up on their own timetable. But there may not be any room at the iinn when they are ready. The C-USA invite may be premature for their liking, but do they want to be in a situation like UMass 5 years down the road? Sure they can wait and hope a new FBS conference comes along in the next decade, but again, that is an uncertain future.

All these schools have the ability to compete and be successfull in their new conferences. I see no reason why they will turn down these once in a generation opportunities.

MplsBison
May 11th, 2012, 09:14 AM

Obviously GW is one, as they would not want the DC market competition from GM.

Are they really that prominent? Where do they think they're going to play? Maybe switch spots with GM and go to the CAA?

You might think Richmond would be the other, but obviously that's not the case. Not sure why any other "prominent" members would care. VCU and GMU shouldn't be a threat. If it's Dayton or Xavior - tell them to piss off and go take a hike. Where are they going to play?

MplsBison
May 11th, 2012, 09:15 AM
I think this is about timing. It may not be the ideal time for these changes, but the next opportunity may not come for a decade or more.

IMO this could be the only opportunity GMU ever gets at stepping it up in class to a league like the A-10. I would have to think that is a big factor the president and AD to weigh when the make their decision. IMO - GMU would be crazy not to cash in the chips they earned from the Final Four. I think GMU realizes that if the CAA stays together, VCU and ODU set up for more long-term success in the CAA.

VCU can probably wait to make the move (and is more likely to be offered again in the near future), but with the offer on the table and GMU likely doing the same, I would think VCU officials take the opportunity now insead of waiting for the uncertain future.

I think the same applies to ODU. I'm sure they would love to stay in the CAA/FCS for 5 more years and then move up on their own timetable. But there may not be any room at the iinn when they are ready. The C-USA invite may be premature for their liking, but do they want to be in a situation like UMass 5 years down the road? Sure they can wait and hope a new FBS conference comes along in the next decade, but again, that is an uncertain future.

All these schools have the ability to compete and be successfull in their new conferences. I see no reason why they will turn down these once in a generation opportunities.

Same reason why any school that can reasonable get an FBS move-up offer should at least consider it. This could be a once in a generation opportunity.

Don't be like NDSU and stick to a lower division for 15 years too long.

DFW HOYA
May 11th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Obviously GW is one, as they would not want the DC market competition from GM.

It's not exactly like GW owns the DC market:

2011-12 Avg. Attendance:

Maryland 13,182
Georgetown 11,283
George Mason: 5,161
George Washington: 2,561
American: 1,267
Howard: 934
Univ. of DC (Div. II): 235
Catholic (Div. III): 211

Dane96
May 11th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I can confirm that for once, Mpls is on the money.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 11th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Steven Goff @GMUWashPost

George Mason will remain in the CAA, AD Tom O'Connor tells me. Had talks with Atlantic 10, did due diligence, decided to stay #masonmbb

If true, he's putting the gun down. Will VCU and ODU now do the same?