PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Ravens looking at FCS players

blukeys
April 29th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Great article in today's Baltimore Sun about how seriously the Ravens look at FCS players. Player personnel Director Eric DeCosta explained the Ravens Draft picks.

" The final four rounds of the Ravens' 2012 draft were highlighted by the selection of a trio of small-school prospects who filled secondary needs. In the fourth round, the Ravens drafted Delaware interior lineman Gino Gradkowski and South Carolina State free safety Christian Thompson. At the end of the fifth, they took Cal Poly cornerback and kick returner Asa Jackson.

"We take pride in really looking at these small-school guys and being able to compare these guys to the big-school guys," he said. "I think scouting has become so good around the league that there are some good players at some of these small schools, and I think there is an opportunity there for us to maybe take advantage of our scouts and find some of those guys."

"We go into the small schools and do the same amount of work as the big schools," Newsome said as the seventh round wound down. "Our scouts, when they go into the Delaware or the Cal Poly or the South Carolina State, it's just like when they go into Ohio State, Maryland or Alabama."

DeCosta goes on to say how proud their organization is at landing Joe Flacco and Ledarius Webb. Obviously, I am a Flacco fan, but Ledarius Webb is a joy to watch. He plays dback the way it should be.

At any rate I am really pleased that at least one NFL organization is seriously looking at our players.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-draft-0429-20120428,0,2577648.story?page=2&track=rss

Seawolf97
April 29th, 2012, 07:37 PM
With Flacco as their offensive leader they should harvest the FCS ranks every year. Alot of diamonds in the rough at our level that can play with anyone.

boogereagle
April 30th, 2012, 11:39 AM
The Ravens gave Jayson Foster a shot as well.