PDA

View Full Version : Now, It's Lafayette's Turn...

ngineer
June 16th, 2006, 07:31 AM
For those 'pards who think their ***** doesn't stink, the Morning Call
this morning reported that former Lafayette wide receiver, Romar Antoine Drake,22, was arrested in APRIL after police said they found cocaine, marijuana and hundreds of pills in this off-campus apartment. He waived his preliminary hearing Thursday. (One has to wonder why this is just being reported now. Typically, these drug arrests are reported within a day or so of their occurence. Also, the preliminary hearing was significantly delayed. Was this being kept quiet for any particular reason?)

Drake was just weeks away from graduation as a business major when arrested on seven counts of possession, possession with intent to deliver, and paraphernalia. He is free on $50,000 bond.
Drake played high school ball in Philadelphia. When police searched his March Street apartment they found the drugs having a street value of more than $4,000..
The arrest was part of joint investigation by Easton city police and campus security into suspected drug dealing on and off campus.. The probe began in February.
Detectives said they uncovered 64 doses of amphetamine, 37 packages of cocaine, and 26 packages of marijuana.

Another sad story of someone with tremendous opportunities provided to them, casting them aside. Considering the amount of drugs found, LC should be hoping other players aren't involved.:(

Pard94
June 16th, 2006, 07:39 AM
It boggles my mind as to how somebody like this could get it together enough to get into Lafayette (or Lehigh) in the first place. I recognize that admission rules are bent to a certain degree but this kid would have had to put aside his drug empire long enough to at least pull a solid "B" average, no? Crazy. What a waste.

Fordham
June 16th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Depressing story and a wasted opportunity.

No school can prevent every bad apple from getting in or prevent kids from making bad decisions once they get there (football team or not). Tough one for Lafayette but it's not like there is any type of pattern here. Just a stupid decision (or series of them) by an individual player.

cosmo here
June 16th, 2006, 07:49 AM
For those 'pards who think their ***** doesn't stink, the Morning Call
this morning reported that former Lafayette wide receiver, Romar Antoine Drake,22, was arrested in APRIL after police said they found cocaine, marijuana and hundreds of pills in this off-campus apartment. He waived his preliminary hearing Thursday. (One has to wonder why this is just being reported now. Typically, these drug arrests are reported within a day or so of their occurence. Also, the preliminary hearing was significantly delayed. Was this being kept quiet for any particular reason?)

This was reported in both the Express-Times and The Morning Call the day after it happened. This follow-up has to do with the hearing itself.

Drake was just weeks away from graduation as a business major when arrested on seven counts of possession, possession with intent to deliver, and paraphernalia. He is free on $50,000 bond.
Drake played high school ball in Philadelphia. When police searched his March Street apartment they found the drugs having a street value of more than $4,000..
The arrest was part of joint investigation by Easton city police and campus security into suspected drug dealing on and off campus.. The probe began in February.
Detectives said they uncovered 64 doses of amphetamine, 37 packages of cocaine, and 26 packages of marijuana.

Another sad story of someone with tremendous opportunities provided to them, casting them aside. Considering the amount of drugs found, LC should be hoping other players aren't involved.:(

He was a member of the football team for three years but didn't play as a senior. He was two weeks away from being the first person in his family to graduate from college. This is an incredibly sad story, don't turn it into "Lehigh has had its problems, I'm glad Lafayette does also."

AppGuy04
June 16th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Drake played high school ball in Philadelphia.

enough said

ngineer
June 16th, 2006, 08:15 AM
This was reported in both the Express-Times and The Morning Call the day after it happened. This follow-up has to do with the hearing itself.

He was a member of the football team for three years but didn't play as a senior. He was two weeks away from being the first person in his family to graduate from college. This is an incredibly sad story, don't turn it into "Lehigh has had its problems, I'm glad Lafayette does also."

I never said anything of the sort. It's sad for any person, school and it's alums when a bad apple falls off the tree. My posting was in response to some of the chortling that occured when former Lehigh running back Abdullah was arrested last month.

cosmo here
June 16th, 2006, 08:19 AM
I never said anything of the sort. It's sad for any person, school and it's alums when a bad apple falls off the tree. My posting was in response to some of the chortling that occured when former Lehigh running back Abdullah was arrested last month.

It certainly smelled like it . .

Now, It's Lafayette's Turn...

For those 'pards who think their ***** doesn't stink

cosmo here
June 16th, 2006, 08:22 AM
(One has to wonder why this is just being reported now. Typically, these drug arrests are reported within a day or so of their occurence. Also, the preliminary hearing was significantly delayed. Was this being kept quiet for any particular reason?)

Also, since it was reported immediately, please retract your insinuation of a cover-up by the Easton police or Lafayette's campus police.

Gort
June 16th, 2006, 08:30 AM
It boggles my mind as to how somebody like this could get it together enough to get into Lafayette (or Lehigh) in the first place. I recognize that admission rules are bent to a certain degree but this kid would have had to put aside his drug empire long enough to at least pull a solid "B" average, no? Crazy. What a waste.

What a surprise, a smart kid is involved with drugs, what next rich kids using/selling drugs? :rolleyes: The Pat League was never exempt from the problems that plague the rest of the I-A and I-AA football world.

Andy
June 16th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Right on, cosmo.

Drake hasn't been involved with Lafayette football since the fall of '04. He didn't participate in the spring of '05. His last season, however, he made the PL academic honors list with a 3.35 in Economics and Business, no small feat at LC, I can attest. So much promise, so sad for his family.

ngineer
June 16th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Also, since it was reported immediately, please retract your insinuation of a cover-up by the Easton police or Lafayette's campus police.

If, indeed, the matter was reported in April I stand corrected. However, I never recalled seeing the matter reported and the article was written as reporting on the 'arrest' as opposed to just reporting on the preliminary hearing.
As to your prior notes, as I previously stated, I am not 'glad' this has occured in any way. It's a shame to see any young person, who has been given such great opportunity, throw it away. But, as I noted, there was a certain 'smugness' from certain Lafayette people about the legal problems of Abdullah, and when the 'worm turns' it should be noted. The old adage about people living in glass houses...and probably a host of other metaphors come to mind..

cosmo here
June 16th, 2006, 11:08 AM
If, indeed, the matter was reported in April I stand corrected. However, I never recalled seeing the matter reported and the article was written as reporting on the 'arrest' as opposed to just reporting on the preliminary hearing.

April 29 - Express-Times, by Sarah Cassi
April 29 - Morning Call, by Joe McDonald

ngineer
June 16th, 2006, 11:18 AM
April 29 - Express-Times, by Sarah Cassi
April 29 - Morning Call, by Joe McDonald

Thanks.

blueballs
June 16th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Drake was just weeks away from graduation as a business major when arrested on seven counts of possession, possession with intent to deliver, and paraphernalia...

...When police searched his March Street apartment they found the drugs having a street value of more than $4,000..

Looks like the kid was just putting his degree to good use.:D J/K

There are ****heads at EVERY institution, from every walk of life, and all different backgrounds. I highly doubt this behavior is indicative of the Lafayette program and more likely the exception rather than the rule.

However, it makes interesting message board fodder for the Engineers and Rams.

colgate13
June 16th, 2006, 11:37 AM
However, it makes interesting message board fodder for the Engineers and Rams.

Why would Fordham be involved? ;)

(psst... It's Leopards!)

carney2
June 16th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Two points from a not so casual observer:

There is no reason to suspect it based on the facts in evidence, but here's hoping that this isn't the tip of some ugly iceberg. I am in no mood for an "I told you so" from Arthur Rothkopf regarding the evils that athletes and athletics bring to a college campus.

I too was somewhat shocked and certainly disappointed in the "Hey neighbor, glad to see that your house is on fire" uncivil tone that was expressed in a few posts here. I always assumed that at least we at AGS are somehow in this together. Oh well, it's just an unfortunate choice of words, I suppose, and nobody aint got worst use of English than me.

colgate13
June 16th, 2006, 12:27 PM
In ngineer's defense, I recall some Lafayette glee at the expense of Lehigh's fortunes in two separate events: Abdullah's DUI/gun arrest and the Lehigh non-football player and his bank robbing scheme. Agree/disagree with the motive, but IMO he's just giving what Lehigh was getting. :twocents:

colgate13
June 16th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Upon review, that bank robbery glee might have been mine! Sorry!

(http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6398&highlight=bank+robbery)

But here is the Abdullah thread in question:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10527

carney2
June 16th, 2006, 01:18 PM
In ngineer's defense, I recall some Lafayette glee at the expense of Lehigh's fortunes in two separate events: Abdullah's DUI/gun arrest and the Lehigh non-football player and his bank robbing scheme. Agree/disagree with the motive, but IMO he's just giving what Lehigh was getting. :twocents:

No. No. A thousand times no! That was Lehigh. We all know that they had it coming.:smiley_wi

ngineer
June 16th, 2006, 01:19 PM

That's all. 'nuf said.

colgate13
June 16th, 2006, 01:49 PM
[/b]

That's all. 'nuf said.

Judging by my comments on the bank robber thread, looks like I'll be due for some 'kind words' the next time Colgate's good name gets dragged around in the papers! :) :(

Pard94
June 16th, 2006, 02:59 PM
What a surprise, a smart kid is involved with drugs, what next rich kids using/selling drugs? :rolleyes: The Pat League was never exempt from the problems that plague the rest of the I-A and I-AA football world.

Thanks for the contribution Gort. Way to completely miss the point. I never stated Lafayette or any school is exempt from the problems that plague the rest of I-AA. I didn't even imply it. Let me speak in generalities to ensure your full comprehension:rolleyes: . I am surprised when any youth, from any socio-economic background, seemingly stupid enough to get involved with the consumption and/or distribution of illegal narcotics (on a large scale), would have the intelligence, drive and desire to gain admitance to any institution of higher education...anywhere on the planet...at any level.

Is that better?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 16th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Very sad story, and I'm very disappointed that this kid had a chance at a prime learning institution and blew it.

Go...gate
June 16th, 2006, 05:15 PM
As with the UD drug thing, it's important to realize that the vast majority of kids realize that playing I-AA football is a great privilege and opportunity and act accordingly. I feel sorry for the kid's family.

Pards Rule
June 16th, 2006, 05:19 PM

Yes, and I took this position that his was a sad affair for the Patriot League and that I'm sure we had some skeletons hanging too...Didnt know they would be uncovered so soon.

blukeys
June 16th, 2006, 08:59 PM
As with the UD drug thing, it's important to realize that the vast majority of kids realize that playing I-AA football is a great privilege and opportunity and act accordingly. I feel sorry for the kid's family.

Bill O' Reilly did a segment tonite on the Navy QB accused of rape (it appears the girl was unconscious)

Does anyone think that the U.S. Naval Academy is full of criminals? I have sat on boards for military academy recommendations and these kids (yes even the athletes) are examined inside out and upside down. Still this young man got in and probably made a huge mistaken judgement. I hope the facts prove me wrong in his case but to have sex with an unconscious girl gets a jail sentence in most juridictions.

In the end what is important is how an institution responds to illegal acts of athletes. So far the University of Southern Cal. is doing nothing regarding Reggie Bush's situation. I expect that Lafayette will deal with the situation in a manner that sends a message to their student athletes about what is expected as a LC athlete and maintains LC's good name. One can hope for no more nor expect no less. :nod:

Andy
June 16th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Just to reiterate, Drake hasn't been "an athlete" at Lafayette since November of 2004. I don't know if he left voluntarily or was forced out. Lafayette responded by cooperating with the investigation and perhaps initiating it. This was not, however, a response "to an illegal act of an athlete." He was long gone.

blukeys
June 16th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Just to reiterate, Drake hasn't been "an athlete" at Lafayette since November of 2004. I don't know if he left voluntarily or was forced out. Lafayette responded by cooperating with the investigation and perhaps initiating it. This was not, however, a response "to an illegal act of an athlete." He was long gone.

Sorry Andy while I am sympathetic to LC on this issue the reality is that once you are associated with a school you are always associated with a school. That is the reality of today's media. Most of us know that ALL I-AA schools attempt to recruit quality people. But, on a 100 person roster even only the 5% bad apples can make you look bad.

I truly understand your point. However, The non knowledgeable fan will see Lafayette taking a hit. The rest of us will no better!!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Pard4Life
June 17th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Two points from a not so casual observer:

There is no reason to suspect it based on the facts in evidence, but here's hoping that this isn't the tip of some ugly iceberg. I am in no mood for an "I told you so" from Arthur Rothkopf regarding the evils that athletes and athletics bring to a college campus.

I too was somewhat shocked and certainly disappointed in the "Hey neighbor, glad to see that your house is on fire" uncivil tone that was expressed in a few posts here. I always assumed that at least we at AGS are somehow in this together. Oh well, it's just an unfortunate choice of words, I suppose, and nobody aint got worst use of English than me.

The problem is much more prevelant in the general student population at large. Pulling an "I told you so" in regards to athletics would be stupid, ignorant, and in line with an agenda. If there are more players and involved and hopefully/likely not, then there will definetely be a larger amount of general students involved. Some will just have happened to be athletes. The real problem rests with drug distribution/centralization in the fraternity system and other small dealers around campus. There was one key bust in 2003 I remember with some students.

Also, The Lafayette student paper reported it the week it occured, so it is right on the money. Frankly I do not know what led Drake to do this considering his pending Econ degree and a potential lucrative job down the road. Obviously this is a greater problem and I stand by the strict enforcement of drug policies. It has no room for toleration.

Calif_Colonial
June 17th, 2006, 03:54 PM
You are a student athlete at a good school and you can't or won't keep the street out of your life for your time on the field and in the class room. I don't get it. xidiotx

cosmo here
June 17th, 2006, 05:12 PM
You are a student athlete at a good school and you can't or won't keep the street out of your life for your time on the field and in the class room. I don't get it. xidiotx

good first post . . you joined to say that ?

ngineer
June 17th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Hey a newbie from a 'mid-major'..Welcome. We could use a few more from the NEC around here.:nod:

Gort
June 18th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Pard94

Thanks for the contribution Gort. Way to completely miss the point. I never stated Lafayette or any school is exempt from the problems that plague the rest of I-AA. I didn't even imply it. Let me speak in generalities to ensure your full comprehension:rolleyes: . I am surprised when any youth, from any socio-economic background, seemingly stupid enough to get involved with the consumption and/or distribution of illegal narcotics (on a large scale), would have the intelligence, drive and desire to gain admitance to any institution of higher education...anywhere on the planet...at any level.

Is that better?

Yes ;)