PDA

View Full Version : UNI fills final spot on 2012 schedule with....

hebmskebm
April 27th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Central State of Ohio!!!xcoffeex

http://www.unipanthers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26200&ATCLID=205420707

In all seriousness, while it's regrettable something couldn't be worked out with another FCS team, 11 football games is always better than 10.

Gardner-Webb, Jacksonville, and Hampton are now the three remaining stragglers.

darell1976
April 27th, 2012, 05:27 PM

In all seriousness, while it's regrettable something couldn't be worked out with another FCS team, 11 football games is always better than 10.

Too bad UNI couldn't fill it with a DI team but it happens. NDSU was almost in that boat but snagged Prairie View. UNI will have to go at least 7-1 in conference play to make the playoffs...they do get NDSU and SDSU at home but tough road games at YSU, SIU and even USD is not a gimmie in their dome. Good luck Panthers!!

TheBisonator
April 27th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Too bad UNI couldn't fill it with a DI team but it happens. NDSU was almost in that boat but snagged Prairie View. UNI will have to go at least 7-1 in conference play to make the playoffs...they do get NDSU and SDSU at home but tough road games at YSU, SIU and even USD is not a gimmie in their dome. Good luck Panthers!!

We were never in that boat Darell, don't lie to yourself. We had Prairie View penciled in, but we had to wait over a month for the SWAC to rearrange some of their team's schedules.

Good luck with that South Dakota School of Mimes game.

darell1976
April 27th, 2012, 05:36 PM
We were never in that boat Darell, don't lie to yourself. We had Prairie View penciled in, but we had to wait over a month for the SWAC to rearrange some of their team's schedules.

What part of almost in the boat did you miss?? Almost and in are two different things. Like NDSU was "in" the playoffs in 2010, while Montana was "almost" in the playoffs in 2010. See the difference. You must have been to the Lakes school of spelling..its Mines (like a Miner).

TheBisonator
April 27th, 2012, 05:42 PM
What part of almost in the boat did you miss?? Almost and in are two different things. Like NDSU was "in" the playoffs in 2010, while Montana was "almost" in the playoffs in 2010. See the difference. You must have been to the Lakes school of spelling..its Mines (like a Miner).

Yeah, that was the joke, with calling them "Mimes".

And "almost" having to schedule a D2 would mean we'd be scrambling around desperately to find anyone with an FCS tag. We had Prairie View lined up for a long time.

darell1976
April 27th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Yeah, that was the joke, with calling them "Mimes".

And "almost" having to schedule a D2 would mean we'd be scrambling around desperately to find anyone with an FCS tag. We had Prairie View lined up for a long time.

How long is a long time?? Long enough for Bisonville members to want to schedule UND, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Florida? Long enough for Dom Izzo to tweet how many FCS teams are left to possibly get that 11th game? Please do tell. Because I heard nothing of Prairie View until the day it was signed, and if it was in the works it would have leaked out.

DetroitFlyer
April 27th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Wow, Central State had to replace Dayton so they picked up UNI....

ursus arctos horribilis
April 27th, 2012, 07:54 PM
They will be playing Central State (D2) on Sept. 8th.

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4496214

frozennorth
April 27th, 2012, 09:57 PM
so they will likely need to go 7-1 in the valley to make the playoffs? ouch.

BlueHenSinfonian
April 27th, 2012, 10:16 PM
The first half of their schedule is ugly, the Central Ohio game is the only break:

@Wisconsin
Central Ohio State
@ Iowa
@ Youngstown State
NDSU

TheBisonator
April 27th, 2012, 10:29 PM
The first half of their schedule is ugly, the Central Ohio game is the only break:

@Wisconsin
Central Ohio State
@ Iowa
@ Youngstown State
NDSU

@Wisconsin - L
Central Ohio State - W
@ Iowa - L (most likely)
@ Youngstown State - W (I think they win this one)
NDSU - L

BlueHenSinfonian
April 27th, 2012, 10:47 PM
@Wisconsin - L
Central Ohio State - W
@ Iowa - L (most likely)
@ Youngstown State - W (I think they win this one)
NDSU - L

The YSU game is winnable, but the Penguins are always tough, especially at home. The timing of it couldn't be worse for UNI though - two draining and possibly injury-ridden FBS games, and a game vs the defending champs the week after, it's going to be tough to prepare for all that's going to be coming at them.

JSUBison
April 27th, 2012, 11:02 PM

He's just trying to stir crap up again. I explained it to him once before on here, if he doesn't want to believe me so be it. He can always go to TSPN and see for himself. However I will agree with him about Bisonville spazzing out about the schedule, but that means nothing.

tourguide
April 28th, 2012, 05:54 AM
How long is a long time?? Long enough for Bisonville members to want to schedule UND, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Florida? Long enough for Dom Izzo to tweet how many FCS teams are left to possibly get that 11th game? Please do tell. Because I heard nothing of Prairie View until the day it was signed, and if it was in the works it would have leaked out.

you do realize that bisonville and bison media blog are not the same as Gene Taylor and those responsible for putting together the football schedule right? the less the media and message boards know about closed door negotiations the better.

SDFS
April 28th, 2012, 09:03 AM
back to UNI - it is unfortunate that UNI may finish 6-2 in conference 7-4 overall (I am assuming two losses to Iowa and Wisconsin - they are very capable of winning either of those games) and ranked in top 20 but not in the playoffs. I find the 7 FCS win rule strange and I see more teams pushing for a different playoff criteria. I don't think that a schools ability to pay for FCS non scholarship cupcakes should be the difference between one team making the playoffs and another team not making the playoffs.

clenz
April 28th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Dear posters that like either ND school....**** off and stay the **** out of this thread.

As for the game...this sucks....really really sucks. However, if SEMO wasn't willing to work something (they had an open date as well on the 8th) then it was this or another FBS game....three straight FBS games to open the season shouldn't happen though.

On the plus side it will give our players a chance to see some PT (practice really...this team was 1-10 last year in D2) in between Wisky and Iowa to gain experience. That will be key at DL and QB. I feel much better about our QB situation after our spring game last night (not that I was ever worried about it).

It's not like UNI has ever gotten into the playoffs without winning at least a share of the conference......seriously, look it up....

1985: Northern Iowa (5-0)
1986: Eastern Illinois (5-1)
1987: Northern Iowa (6-0)
1988: Western Illinois (6-0)
1989: Missouri State (5-1)
1990: Missouri State & Northern Iowa (5-1)
1991: Northern Iowa (5-1)
1992: Northern Iowa (5-1)
1993: Northern Iowa (5-1)
1994: Northern Iowa (6-0)
1995: Eastern Illinois & Northern Iowa (5-1)
1996: Northern Iowa (6-0)
1997: Western Illinois (6-0)
1998: Western Illinois (5-1)
1999: Illinois State (6-0)
2000: Western Illinois (5-1)
2001: Northern Iowa (6-1)
2002: Western Illinois & Western Kentucky (6-1)
2003: Northern Iowa & Southern Illinois (6-1)
2004: Southern Illinois (7-0)
2005: Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, & Youngstown State (5-2)
2006: Youngstown State (6-1)
2007: Northern Iowa (6-0)
2008: Southern Illinois & Northern Iowa (7-1)
2009: Southern Illinois (8-0)
2010: Northern Iowa (6-2)
2011: North Dakota State (7-1) & Northern Iowa (7-1)

clenz
April 28th, 2012, 11:10 AM
The YSU game is winnable, but the Penguins are always tough, especially at home. The timing of it couldn't be worse for UNI though - two draining and possibly injury-ridden FBS games, and a game vs the defending champs the week after, it's going to be tough to prepare for all that's going to be coming at them.There is zero evidence...and I mean ****ing zero....that FBS games lead to more injuries than FCS/D2/NAIA/D3 games. I get sick of people saying that. Absolutely false. FBS teams have more talent top to bottom, but that doesn't mean they hit so hard compared to the FCS that FCS teams are lucky if half the team doesn't end up paralyzed

Also, having to win the conference/7-1 conference to get in....that's the way it always has been....Check the years UNI has made the playoffs...then see where they finished in the standings. I'll give you some help. I'll post the conference champions since 1985 and tell you UNI has made the playoffs 16 times since then. You count how many times UNI has gotten an at-large....not just an at-large...but an at-large without at least sharing the conference title.

1985: Northern Iowa (5-0)
1986: Eastern Illinois (5-1)
1987: Northern Iowa (6-0)
1988: Western Illinois (6-0)
1989: Missouri State (5-1)
1990: Missouri State & Northern Iowa (5-1)
1991: Northern Iowa (5-1)
1992: Northern Iowa (5-1)
1993: Northern Iowa (5-1)
1994: Northern Iowa (6-0)
1995: Eastern Illinois & Northern Iowa (5-1)
1996: Northern Iowa (6-0)
1997: Western Illinois (6-0)
1998: Western Illinois (5-1)
1999: Illinois State (6-0)
2000: Western Illinois (5-1)
2001: Northern Iowa (6-1)
2002: Western Illinois & Western Kentucky (6-1)
2003: Northern Iowa & Southern Illinois (6-1)
2004: Southern Illinois (7-0)
2005: Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, & Youngstown State (5-2)
2006: Youngstown State (6-1)
2007: Northern Iowa (6-0)
2008: Southern Illinois & Northern Iowa (7-1)
2009: Southern Illinois (8-0)
2010: Northern Iowa (6-2)
2011: North Dakota State (7-1) & Northern Iowa (7-1)

clenz
April 28th, 2012, 11:14 AM
A couple posts from Panthernation with more information on the situation....

Apparently our most ardent Panther fans(?) did not listen to the broadcast of our spring game last nite. Dannen and Farley were both interviewed and gave a complete explanation to the game scheduled with Central Ohio. They both agreed that Savannah' State screwed us with their bailout; leaving us in a huge hole. FSU paid us $200,000 where we were going to pay Savannah $150,000. Dannen offered all FCS teams with that open date up to $300,000 to come to Cedar Falls. No Takers from the FCS. Side note: U. of Minnesota had recently offered us $320,000 to come to Minneapolis. Dannen continued to work for a home game through the MAC which would have been historic in that a FBS school would come to a FCS. He and Farley both entertained an offer from Boise State and were receiving up to three phone calls per day up to the day that Central signed a contract. Neither thought that a good idea. Central will be paid an outrageous amount (probably the $150,000 that Savannah would have been paid). Other options up to the last minute were Sam Houston who wanted a home and home with it starting this year in Texas. Sam Houston is on the schedule starting next year and Drake comes to the Dome in future schedules. We are well set for the nonconference games the next few years and the years that we can schedule 12 games we still have openings. Dannen is going to keep those dates open so as to leverage FBS teams for more money. So for those critics that blame Dannen for not scheduling better you had better get all the facts and remember the saying "It is better to remain quiet and be thought of as a fool than to open your big mouth and remove all doubt."

It also sounds like SSU never told UNI they were buying the game out...UNI had to call them to find out...and it was by accident so to speak...

Additional info on the Central game. General admission tickets will be $10. This later will allow us to sell playoff tickets at that amount. Also, it wasn't until a person with UNI contacts noticed that Savannah State was scheduled to play UNI and FSU on the same day that UNI officials called Savannah and they said they were going to get around to letting us know of the switch. This delay also cost us possibilities to schedule on the Sept. 8 date. So needless to say Savannah State will not be on our future schedules.

UNHFan
April 28th, 2012, 11:58 AM
UNH almost played them and enough bitching and they cancelled the game COMPLAIN!!!

ursus arctos horribilis
April 28th, 2012, 12:56 PM

Sorry man, I didn't even notice you had already covered this yesterday when I put a thread up. Merged it into yours.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 28th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I live about an hour from that place and have never heard of it.

hebmskebm
April 28th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Sorry man, I didn't even notice you had already covered this yesterday when I put a thread up. Merged it into yours.

No problemo.

Also, it should be noted that UNI just did the exact same thing that Florida St did to them. They bought out a previously scheduled game (Central St vs. Missouri Western) to fill the final hole in their schedule. Missouri Western has even less time than UNI to find a replacement!

clenz
April 28th, 2012, 01:50 PM
No problemo.

Also, it should be noted that UNI just did the exact same thing that Florida St did to them. They bought out a previously scheduled game (Central St vs. Missouri Western) to fill the final hole in their schedule. Missouri Western has even less time than UNI to find a replacement!
I don't believe UNI bought them out....unless that has been cited somewhere and I missed it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 28th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Central State.....How many fans will be at this one?

clenz
April 28th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Well....it's Iowa/ISU weekend....a team few have heard of...much like SSU....About the same that SSU would have drawn.

tourguide
April 28th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Central State.....How many fans will be at this one?

way more than the amount of uni fans that will be celebrating a 2012 playoff win

TheBisonator
April 28th, 2012, 05:01 PM
way more than the amount if uni fans that will be celebrating a 2012 playoff win

Yes, more than a UNI home playoff game, I agree

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 28th, 2012, 05:43 PM
way more than the amount if uni fans that will be celebrating a 2012 playoff win

UNI loses some good players esp on defense but they will still be tough as nails this year.

clenz
April 28th, 2012, 06:37 PM
FWIW...Sawyer Kollmorgen (who redshirted last year) went 17-28 for 257 yards and 2 TD's in the spring game last night.

No worries at all on the offensive side of the ball.

The only spot I'm concerned replacing the middle of our defensive front 7

BisonHype!
April 29th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Central who?

MNBISON
April 29th, 2012, 05:59 PM

NDSU played Central State in the playoffs back in the 80's in the DII days(might have been a National Championship game, can't remember) and Moorhead State played them in Moorhead in the playoffs in 1989 when CS moved down to NAIA. They had a pretty interesting coach, his name was Billy Joe or something like that, not sure when they moved back up to DII up it's been a while I think.

darell1976
April 29th, 2012, 06:30 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_State_University#Athletics

The Central State University Marauder football experienced much success in Division II and NAIA during the 1980s through 1995 under then head football coaches, William "Billy" Joe (1981 to 1993) and Rick Comegy (1993 to 1996). Under Billy Joe, the Marauders were NCAA Division II runners-up in 1983 and won the NAIA Football National Championship (Division I) in 1990 and 1992. Under Comegy, a former assistant coach under Joe, the Marauders won the NAIA Football National Championship (Division I) in 1995. The heyday of Central State football ended in the late 1990s when the university administration was forced to drop the football program in 1997 due to financial difficulties and a significant drop of enrollment. In 2005, under new administration leadership, of its current president, Dr. John W. Garland, Esq, (Class of 1971) the university reinstated the Central State Marauder football program.

Notable Marauder alumni who went on to play in the National Football League include: Vince Heflin, Vince Buck, Erik Williams, Hugh Douglas, Charles Hope and Kerwin Waldroup.

AmsterBison
April 29th, 2012, 08:19 PM

Heh, lots of Bison fans know Central State because NDSU beat them in the D2 playoffs twice. They always had some good players and their coach was always good from some quotables.

More on topic: 150k is not that outrageous anymore. NDSU had to guarantee $200k and SDSU $185k for a home game. It's a sellers' market out there.

ODUsmitty
April 29th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Central State is the name of a state-run mental institution in Petersburg, VA.

While the "alumni" of this institution may very well strike fear into the hearts of opposing fanbases, such fear is probably less attributable to athletic success than factors more relevant on the fringes of behavioral science.

THE HERD
April 30th, 2012, 09:11 AM
FWIW...Sawyer Kollmorgen (who redshirted last year) went 17-28 for 257 yards and 2 TD's in the spring game last night.

No worries at all on the offensive side of the ball.

The only spot I'm concerned replacing the middle of our defensive front 7

I'd be concerned with the the defense as a whole if a Rfr qb lights them up in the spring game. The defense is usually suppose to be ahead of the offense in spring ball, as the offense usually takes a little longer to develop the continuity they need to perform at a high level. Although maybe this kid was playing against the second and third stringers and if so none of this matters.

Sammy94
April 30th, 2012, 10:32 AM

The same thing for me about Prairie View. Oh wait, there was this one thing a few years back.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/colfootball/teams/worst.html

unigriff
April 30th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Central state it is I guess.

It wasn't like we weren't offered better. Minnesota offered 320k and Boise State even offered. Playing 3 D1s FBS in one year would be tough no matter what. I mean might as well put is in a BCS conference if we are gonna play that schedule.

Would love to play BSU tho!

clenz
April 30th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I'd be concerned with the the defense as a whole if a Rfr qb lights them up in the spring game. The defense is usually suppose to be ahead of the offense in spring ball, as the offense usually takes a little longer to develop the continuity they need to perform at a high level. Although maybe this kid was playing against the second and third stringers and if so none of this matters.

It was a split squad game....but the purple team had more starters.

Our secondary is 100 returning and I'm not concerned about them at all. I was that impressed with Kollmorgen...I've never seen a fr qb at the fcs level with that kind of pocket awareness and arm strength. Ill post his highlight tape later from home.

The offense also returns 4 of 5 lineman, every running back, 4 of the top 6 wr, 2 of 3 te, and is finally going back to a style offense our oc is comfortable with.....the same system he used with Eric Sanders....look him up if you don't know him.

People will doubt UNI going into the year because of the schedule and loss of rennie but remember that UNI was 2 blocked fgqfeom beating the Orange Bowl champs last time they played and that was a year UNI missed the playoffs....UNI also hasn't lost to YSU in 11 years, and NDSU has yet to win in Cedar Falls.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

unigriff
April 30th, 2012, 02:39 PM
i like how you think clenz :)

UNI Pike
May 1st, 2012, 10:34 AM
Anyone want to give me the over/under on how many times we get the "the (announced) crowd at the Ice Castle is going to freak out UNI" this year? It will be even more laughable after playing at Wisconsin & Iowa.