PDA

View Full Version : Wichita State hires former WCU chancellor John Bardo as next President.....Football?

Shockerman
April 27th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Well here we are. Many of us pro-football WSU alums have been hoping that the new President would be willing to look at Football at Wichita State. How do WCU fans and alums feel about this guy? Was he pro-football at WCU? Our Last President Donald Beggs did a great job at WSU in all facets but wouldn't (or couldn't) look at football despite numerous pushes and actual cash pledges from two businessmen that totalled more than $10 million dollars.

Here is to hoping that Bardo is the man...

Sycamore51
April 27th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I hope so. You all already have a much better stadium than we do just sitting there.

Shockerman
April 27th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Our current AD's father Linwood Sexton is the most decorated Shocker Football player and is a big proponet of bringing back football. All of the pieces are in place if Bardo is willing to give it a look...

Smitty
April 27th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Have you seen our record for the past 10 years?

Apphole
April 27th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Have you seen our record for the past 10 years?

At least you're honest. Gotta admire you Western fans for sticking with it year after terrible year.

Smitty
April 27th, 2012, 11:51 AM
He was a good chancellor and did a lot to upgrade the school and its programs but our football program however did almost nothing. Bad hires, bad AD, and bad luck has plagued our athletic department.

Shockerman
April 27th, 2012, 11:53 AM
No doubt WCU has struggled.However, what is your opinion of him. Is he supportive of Athletics? Does he believe Football is an integral part of the Athletics department. Or...was he the kind of academic that tried to kill the football program from within?

Smitty
April 27th, 2012, 11:59 AM
No doubt WCU has struggled.However, what is your opinion of him. Is he supportive of Athletics? Does he believe Football is an integral part of the Athletics department. Or...was he the kind of academic that tried to kill the football program from within?

He was supportive of Athletics but it seemed like it wasn't the highest priority. I felt that he could have done more to make the program a success but didn't make the correct decisions to do it. Academically he will be good for the school, athletically well I don't think he will make a huge splash of change.

He was a huge supporter of the marching band if it makes you feel any better.

HailSzczur
April 27th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Sun Bowl rematch? One of our bigger wins in school history. I'd love to see a rematch for the 55th anniversary. Is 2016 too much to ask?

Baldy
April 27th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Our current AD's father Linwood Sexton is the most decorated Shocker Football player and is a big proponet of bringing back football. All of the pieces are in place if Bardo is willing to give it a look...
In a nice piece of random Shocker trivia...Prince McJunkins Jr., son of the greatest QB in Wichita State's history, is a redshirt freshman QB for Georgia Southern. xthumbsupx

BTW, IMO, when its all said and done I believe he will be the #2 QB by the time the season starts.

Cats4life
April 27th, 2012, 07:07 PM
He was way more into the arts at Western than he was sports. Not to say he did not support our athletic program but you can tell there has been more of a shift towards athletics since he has been gone. Academics and the arts were his main focal points. In my opinion I don't think he would be the man to bring football back unless he has a lot of outside support.

The Cats
April 27th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Bardo will be a good president, but in the world of athletics, he's totally out of his environment. He want's a yes man AD, and then will micro manage him. In academics, you'll be in great shape, in athletics, it'll be a toss up.