PDA

View Full Version : 2012: does your team make the playoffs

frozennorth
April 27th, 2012, 03:40 AM
We need something to talk about. Justify your expectations of glory in 2012

after this thread from a year ago (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?83724-Does-your-team-make-the-playoffs-...-Why)

frozennorth
April 27th, 2012, 03:44 AM
UND: Last year showed (to me at least) alot of inconstancy and a terrible (terrible) pass defense. That said, they are good enough to beat every team they play, and have a relatively favorable schedule, at least as far as breaking in a new conference goes. Unfortunately they need 8 wins to make the playoffs, and are probably staying home next year.

mgbison
April 27th, 2012, 06:23 AM
NDSU should make the playoffs. Our defense will be badass again and teams aren't gonna score much on us. Plus we have a good schedule, two cupcakes (robert morris and some a&m team) and a very winnable FBS game (colorado state).

Offensively we have some question marks. We lost 2 senior o-lineman we have to replace and we seem to always have receiver issues. Brock Jensen is a perfect QB for our system, he doesn't' need to go out and win games by himself. He just needs to have a year like last and we'll be fine (70% completion percentage and only 4 int's). As long as our offense is average we are gonna be tough to beat.

I believe the MVFC is gonna really good this year. Most teams have a lot of players returning and its gonna be a grind, so who knows what will happen.

PaladinFan
April 27th, 2012, 06:37 AM
I think Furman has a pretty good chance.

The Paladins will enter year two under Bruce Fowler. In 2011 they showed some moments of great brilliance in upending two top five teams. They also had some moments you expect to see out of a team with a first year head coach with a few head scratching losses.

The SoCon, as always, is going to be tough sledding, but Furman has a lot of talent and a good staff in place. It would not surprise me at all to see them back in the post season.

dgreco
April 27th, 2012, 06:48 AM
I think Bryant has a good shot to win the NEC and make the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised to see them #1 or #2 in most preseason projections either.

Eaglesrus
April 27th, 2012, 06:52 AM
I think Furman has a pretty good chance.

The Paladins will enter year two under Bruce Fowler. In 2011 they showed some moments of great brilliance in upending two top five teams. They also had some moments you expect to see out of a team with a first year head coach with a few head scratching losses.

The SoCon, as always, is going to be tough sledding, but Furman has a lot of talent and a good staff in place. It would not surprise me at all to see them back in the post season.

I agree that the SoCon is going to be very competitive this year; in fact, I think even more so than most years. For the Eagles, though we need for some guys to step up in the secondary and on the OL, I think that it primarily comes down to how well our starting quarterback (whoever it ends up being) can make the right reads. At least the coaches have several candidates with great athletic ability to choose from. To answer the question, I think we have a very good chance, but are by no means a shoo-in due to conference competition.

Sycamore51
April 27th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Indiana State will make the playoffs this year because we bring back our entire defense, have talented WR's, and Bell is back for his junior year. The only thing that would possibly keep us out is our kicking game.

NHwildEcat
April 27th, 2012, 07:32 AM
I don't have the time right now to delve into this topic so much, I will just say that generally speaking I bet UNH missed the playoffs this year. QB is of concern to me and until I see that situation settle down I will be skeptical of the Wildcats odds.

Big Dawg
April 27th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Hmmm...well, the MEAC is steadily improving and since we're probably looking at being a one-bid league this year(could be two depending on how the rest of the FCS landscape shakes out) things could be interesting. FAMU, BCU, SCSU, Norfolk State, NCA&T, and maybe Hampton look like early favorites to contend for a MEAC title, IMO.

Here at FAMU, we have the pieces in place to win the conference and get the playoff bid we've been chasing for a decade. We have a solid quarterback in Damien Fleming(I believe he originally was a verbal commit to Vanderbilt before coming the FAMU). He'll have to find some new targets this year with Kevin Elliot and Brian Tyms graduating, but he still has the speedy Lenworth Lennon to throw to. We also have probably the deepest offensive backfield in all of FCS. The biggest questions wll be along the O-Line.

On defense we're going to be very quick and still have some key pieces from a defensive backfield that led the nation in interceptions in 2011. Our LB's are physical and quick. The biggest questions will once again be along the D-Line.

Hopefully our coaches can do an outstanding job and lead us to a championship this year....Rattler fans have been worried about coaching for some time now.

The schedule is pretty challenging as we only have one home game in September. We open on the road vs. Tennessee State, then travel to Oklahoma before playing Hampton in Tallahassee. We then hit the road to play Delaware State and then take on Southern in Atlanta in the first month of the season. If we can start the season 4-1(or 5-0, it could happen lol) then I think we'll be okay and in position to take the MEAC crown and earn a spot in the playoffs.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 27th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Indiana State will make the playoffs this year because we bring back our entire defense, have talented WR's, and Bell is back for his junior year. The only thing that would possibly keep us out is our kicking game.

Speaking of your kicking game, I seriously love how you have to go retrieve the balls from the roof of the building behind the goalpost on field goals to that end.

bluehenbillk
April 27th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Leaning towards "no", but in 2013 we'll be back to a Top 5 team. I happens every 3 years at UD...

TheRevSFA
April 27th, 2012, 08:09 AM
I'm leaning towards "no" because Sam will probably run the Southland and we might be on the outside looking in at 7-4

asumike83
April 27th, 2012, 08:12 AM
This is as excited/nervous as I've been about an App team in a while. Love what we have coming back on defense and I'm a big fan of all the hires on the offensive coaching staff. It will really depend on our ability to score points, which I am cautiously optimistic about.

With the SoCon looking tough and an OOC schedule of ECU, Montana and Coastal, our margin for error is limited but I think we go 8-3 or 7-4 and make the playoffs.

darell1976
April 27th, 2012, 08:13 AM
If UND solves their QB issue they could really make some noise in the Big Sky Conference. They have UNC, Sac St, EWU, and MSU on the road...If they beat MSU (I don't think they will) but if they do and win their home games (UM, NAU, CP, SUU) they will win the BSC IMO. They have a DII team, San Diego State, and Portland State as non conference games so out of 10 DI games going 7-3 could be possible getting to 8 would be an extremely tough task. If they don't make it this year, next year will be the year with 7 home games.

Sycamore51
April 27th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Speaking of your kicking game, I seriously love how you have to go retrieve the balls from the roof of the building behind the goalpost on field goals to that end.

It's sad that we don't even have steps that go up to the fieldhouse roof too. That poor gus has to climb a cheap ladder to get up there. It's better than being the camera guy in the lift on the other side of the field being drilled by PAT's and FG's though. I keep waiting on that guy to get knocked out one day.

Smitty
April 27th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I'm hyped up on Rainbows and Sunshine so I see WCU winning it all!

MR. CHICKEN
April 27th, 2012, 09:12 AM

16496.....WATCH OUT...FO' DUH BAD ACID....CIRCLIN'...DUH FARM........xrotatehx.....AWK!

Apphole
April 27th, 2012, 09:17 AM
We'll be there. And this time we won't take an early exit not that we've cured the offensive committee cancer.

RabidRabbit
April 27th, 2012, 09:36 AM
SDSU's chances at the play-off will be predicated on being 2-1 OOC, which Jacks have a good chance of achieving with SELA and Kansas away, and UC-Davis at Brookings. In the MVFC, Jacks will, at best be 6-2, probably losing at NDSU and UNI. But could also lose more. InSt, SIU also away games, and YSU, MoSt, USD, WIU play in Brookings. Should hold home field, although with the first time play at D-I against the U, can toss the records out the window.

Returning a full team from last year's team, minus a great Wide receiver and punter. Worst record would be 5-6, likely to be 7-4. Should be one of the last teams in or out.

AmsterBison
April 27th, 2012, 09:37 AM
65% chance for NDSU because the Missouri Valley has some good coaches, and every team in the conference seems to match up pretty well against NDSU.

I'd give Sam Houston a 99% chance of getting back into the playoffs, btw.

SpeedkingATL
April 27th, 2012, 09:43 AM
This is as excited/nervous as I've been about an App team in a while. Love what we have coming back on defense and I'm a big fan of all the hires on the offensive coaching staff. It will really depend on our ability to score points, which I am cautiously optimistic about.

With the SoCon looking tough and an OOC schedule of ECU, Montana and Coastal, our margin for error is limited but I think we go 8-3 or 7-4 and make the playoffs.

+1. I will only add that the Apps will need a couple of DT's to also step up this season and they might need to be true Freshmen.

asumike83
April 27th, 2012, 09:48 AM
+1. I will only add that the Apps will need a couple of DT's to also step up this season and they might need to be true Freshmen.

DT is definitely a question mark. However, whether it is unfounded or not, I have confidence that it will be addressed well. Darian Small and Milhouse both look very promising on tape, and Blair can move to the inside when we give a 4-3 look. With all the talent surrounding them on that defensive unit, I really think we will be able to plug in a DT who can get the job done.

Love the offensive coaches, just hoping the learning curve is not too steep. If we can up the offensive production just a little bit from last season, we will win a lot of games.

Jiggs
April 27th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Dogs return for the first time since 1992.

Silenoz
April 27th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Montana - probably

chattownmocs
April 27th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Absolutely, not only does Chattanooga make the playoffs but they will probably win the SOCON and make a very deep run at the national crown. A team that returns 10 guys who started on Offense last year and 9 on defense. A team that could have just as easily been 8-0 in the SOCON last year as 3-5 losing by and average of 2 points in those 5 defeats and dominating their 3 victories. Lost important guys on offense in Coleman and Bradford but will now move to the spread behind 2 dynamic dual-threat young QBs. A deep stable of running backs, and an experienced offensive line highlight the offense. But the defense is what will put Chattanooga in the Championship discussion. Major impact players at every level. It starts up front with a deep athletic and talented young groups of DTs. On the outside you have possibly the best pair of DEs in the country in the form of Josh Williams and Davis Tull. At Linebacker you have the all-american Dothard sliding to MLB and surrounded by the Solid if not spectacular Miller and Heatherly. In the secondary you have the ulra-talented Kadeem Wise opposite the exciting Chaz Moore at the corner spots. At Safety you have a budding superstar in DJ Key and the only question mark on the D is the big physical Zach Mccarter. The Mocs will be there inthe hunt at the end.

Smitty
April 27th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Sounds like what you said last year.

Squealofthepig
April 27th, 2012, 10:14 AM
I think Montana is a question mark this year. On the plus side, we return a fair number of key players (Kemp and Johnson at QB; backs Moore, Nguyen and Canada on offense; lots of folks like McSurdy on D too). But, our secondary suddenly becomes much more friendly for QBs who can throw the ball around, and we'll be seeing quite a few of those this year. Additionally, Montana's off-field problems and new coaching staff will be a distraction - I hope my Griz can rally and overcome diversity, but it's gonna be tough, especially with a schedule that has us going to The Rock (immensely excited there!) and EWU, plus somewhat new duels with Big Sky newcomers looking to make a mark.

On the plus side, we have no D2 games this year (finally), and I think an otherwise favorable home schedule (and no Cal Poly) get the Griz to the seven win plateau.

TheBisonator
April 27th, 2012, 10:20 AM
I think we make the playoffs this year, but I can't see us going 10-1. This feels more like an 8-3 year to me. And by that I mean I think we'll sweep OOC and go 5-3 in the MVFC.

Apphole
April 27th, 2012, 10:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

344Johnson
April 27th, 2012, 10:22 AM
So basically, Chattown has ALL-AMERICA talent at every position. I feel bad for Georgia Southern and Appalachian. Clearly they are in for a whoopin' against Chattanooga.

NDSU should be back in. I'll say 75% chance. For how well we do in the playoffs, Valley teams are built to stop the run, so a lot of games are real tricky. I am going to predict a 9-2 season. Don't know who/where the losses will occur, but I think there will be two of them. UNI on the road, maybe Illinois St as well. A lot depends on if the defense is as good as they were last year. If they are, sky is the limit. If not, I could be in for a depressing year.

frozennorth
April 27th, 2012, 10:28 AM
NDSU fans need to stop being so modest and say what they really think. Where's lakes to to balance all this modesty?

Mattymc727
April 27th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I also believe currently that UNH misses the playoffs for the first time in a while. Just too many question marks as of this spring.

TheRevSFA
April 27th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Absolutely, not only does Chattanooga make the playoffs but they will probably win the SOCON and make a very deep run at the national crown. A team that returns 10 guys who started on Offense last year and 9 on defense. A team that could have just as easily been 8-0 in the SOCON last year as 3-5 losing by and average of 2 points in those 5 defeats and dominating their 3 victories. Lost important guys on offense in Coleman and Bradford but will now move to the spread behind 2 dynamic dual-threat young QBs. A deep stable of running backs, and an experienced offensive line highlight the offense. But the defense is what will put Chattanooga in the Championship discussion. Major impact players at every level. It starts up front with a deep athletic and talented young groups of DTs. On the outside you have possibly the best pair of DEs in the country in the form of Josh Williams and Davis Tull. At Linebacker you have the all-american Dothard sliding to MLB and surrounded by the Solid if not spectacular Miller and Heatherly. In the secondary you have the ulra-talented Kadeem Wise opposite the exciting Chaz Moore at the corner spots. At Safety you have a budding superstar in DJ Key and the only question mark on the D is the big physical Zach Mccarter. The Mocs will be there inthe hunt at the end.

Can someone save this for when they don't make the playoffs?

Apphole I know you're on it.

Bam
April 27th, 2012, 10:44 AM
EKU Yes---The Colonels return 17 of 22 starters (10 – offense, 7 defense) in 2012 including eight first team all-conference players. RB Matt Denham runs wild again this year!

chattownmocs
April 27th, 2012, 10:47 AM

The only thing that could hurt Chattanooga is the D-2 and FBS opponents on the schedule. Need to beat Jacksonville state and go 6-2 in the SOCON. But this team isn't simply thinking playoffs. As DC Adam Fuller put it in the spring press conference. "Anything other than a Southern Conference Championship will be a failure."

eaglesrback
April 27th, 2012, 10:48 AM
We got nuttin!

Sycamore51
April 27th, 2012, 10:50 AM
We got nuttin!

Your avitar reminded me that I saw a GSU and Furman helmate on the Scott Van Pelt show this morning. They were sitting there on the main desk. Pretty cool. I say that both of those teams make the field just because of that.

chattownmocs
April 27th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I'll go ahead and predict the score of every game....just an educated guess at this point

@ South Florida L 27-12
@ Jacksonville State W 23-21
Vs. Glenville State W 45-7
Vs. Appalachian State W 28-14
@ The Citadel W 20-10
@ Furman W 24-13
Vs. Samford W 30-7
Vs. Georgia Southern W 30-28
@ Western Carolina W 41-10
@ Wofford L 30-17

eaglesrback
April 27th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Your avitar reminded me that I saw a GSU and Furman helmate on the Scott Van Pelt show this morning. They were sitting there on the main desk. Pretty cool. I say that both of those teams make the field just because of that.

Cool! was that on tv or net?

Apphole
April 27th, 2012, 10:55 AM

No need to save it. There will be plenty of these until mid October when his next 6-month hiatus begins.

McNeese75
April 27th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Who TF knows xconfusedx

We got skills but with Sam returning everything but the kitchen sink an outright conference title will be hard to come by. Anything above 7-4 would be a great year (and the 7-4 is an improvement xlolx)

NoDak 4 Ever
April 27th, 2012, 11:28 AM
The only thing that could hurt Chattanooga is another sub .500 season "

FIFY

HailSzczur
April 27th, 2012, 12:52 PM
No. This is year 2 of the rebuilding phase. Still have a young and developing QB who could end up being the best QB in the CAA by his senior year, or be a complete flop. Just lost All American hopeful Shirey on the O-Line. Receiving and running corps. look real good, but we'll see how the offense pans out. On D we're are great up front, but are playing with some converted Defensive backs, typical Nova defense, week against the pass. Look for Dillion Lucas to have a hell of a year and make some noise in the CAA Defensive Player of the Year Discussion as a Sophomore.

My goals for the year are to pull .500 record, finish in the top half of the CAA, and beat Delaware. 2/3 of those and the season is a success in my book.

Ivytalk
April 27th, 2012, 01:21 PM
No. Again.:(

But, hey, Penn won't, either!:p

unigriff
April 27th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Northern Iowa: tough to even debate on. Brutal schedule @Wisconsin, @Iowa (tho, I honestly think a W here could happen) to open the campaign, then @ YSU and at home vs. the defending national champs. Also tough road @ SIU, where we seemingly can't win. Still looking for a 11th game after Savannah St. wimpied out. Probably get Drake (puke).

Question marks are at QB and DEFENSE. The defense is getting seemingly a huge overhaul.
My guess..depending on the defense and QB progression...
@Wisky (L)
@Iowa (W)
@YSU (W)
NDSU (L)
@SIU (W)
SDSU (W)
Ill. St (W)
@WIU (W)
@S. Dak (W)
Mizz St. (W)
Guessing Drake as our 11th game, if so (W).

I'm hoping for a 9-2, but realistically, it will probably be a 8-3, 7-4 year (its an even year) With a top 3 MVFC finish and a playoff berth!

Spring game is tonight...so hopefully we will see something to talk about!

Screamin_Eagle174
April 27th, 2012, 04:14 PM
For EWU... probably. It will hinge on two key new starters on OL... LT and C, being able to hold their own and protect the QB, along with establishing a run game, which we didn't really do last year without Taiwan. So far this spring, running the ball hasn't shown much promise. Everywhere else we should be really solid, returning 17 starters or so with two FBS starters transferred in being eligible to play (UW DT Andru Pulu, and SMU QB Kyle Padron). Even if Padron doesn't perform as well as Mitchell, I'm pretty confident with RS Freshman QB Vernon Adams, who is a playmaker with his arm and feet similar to MSU's McGhee.

Right now, I'd go with 8-3, with the potential for 10-1 if Padron is the real deal, and 6-5 if... nope, not going to say it. :D

asujch
April 27th, 2012, 04:32 PM
ASU can get there if the run game comes back. I believe that's the key to the season. Our defense will be great, we just have to utilize our backs like we did during our championship years. The last two years our run game has not been strong enough, hence early exits in 10' 11'

dbackjon
April 27th, 2012, 04:56 PM
NO

dbackjon
April 27th, 2012, 04:56 PM

Are you a Bronie?

DJKyR0
April 27th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Just read that UNI finished their schedule off with a D-II to replace Savannah State. That basically means you can afford at most one loss in the MVFC to avoid missing the playoffs...I dunno, man. @YSU is going to be rough for the Panthers (or anyone else).

asumike83
April 27th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Just read that UNI finished their schedule off with a D-II to replace Savannah State. That basically means you can afford at most one loss in the MVFC to avoid missing the playoffs...I dunno, man. @YSU is going to be rough for the Panthers (or anyone else).

With a D2 and two FBS games on the schedule, I really do not think UNI makes the postseason. Barring an FBS upset, that is an 8-game season to win 7. Tough sledding but I'll be rooting for them, I really enjoyed their fans at the 2005 title game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 27th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Lehigh will be the concensus preseason favorite to win the PL for the third year in row. With that said, I'm not as confident as I was this time last year because of the law of averages. Overall, this team, minus the QB position, might be more talented than last years edition but that might not translate into a playoff berth. Lehigh could potentially go 9-2 and be on the outside looking in do to a pretty mediocre OOC schedule. Granted, I think the Hawks have built up enough equity that they would receive the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Lehigh's Schedule, it's hard to pick out more than 2 or 3 losses...

9/1 Monmouth (W)
9/8 @ CCSU (W)
9/15 Princeton (W)
9/22 @ Liberty (W/L) this could go either way, Liberty did lose a ton of players though so Lehigh likely will be favored, even in Lynchburg..
9/29 Fordham (W)
10/6 Columbia (W)
10/13 @ Georgetown (W)
10/20 Bucknell (W)
10/27 @ Holy Cross (L)
11/10 Colgate (W)
11/17 @ Lafayette (W)

Eaglesrus
April 27th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Well, strike my earlier comments; I attended an Eagle Club function tonight at which Coach Monken stated that QB was the least of his worries. Basically said that he could flip a coin (between the leading candidates McKinnon and Youyoute) and he felt we'd be okay. Cornerback is apparently the spot he's most concerned about, but from what I saw in the Spring game at least one of those spots should be in the very capable hands of our transfer from Illinois.

NoCoDanny
April 28th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Not a chance in hell.

seantaylor
April 28th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Socon champs. Don't see us losing a game in conference. Only tough games are in Paulson.

BucBisonAtLarge
April 28th, 2012, 02:25 AM
No, but I bet there will be at least one team like Georgetown and Duquesne in 2011 that won't be in the tournament because of a loss to Bucknell. Our losses on the O-line and at DB seem like too much to replace. Road games at Lehigh, Delaware, Georgetown, Holy Cross and Harvard are each mountains to climb. The opener at Marist will likely be the only road game where the Bison are favored. The other five road games the Bison likely will enter the season as 2TD+ underdogs in four of them, with the Hoya game more like a 10 point spread. I think any of those teams that tries to look past the Bison could fall... but two or three of them?

Colgate and Lafayette both come to Lewisburg this year, and seem winnable but the Bison have been less-than-invincible at home since... Cornell and Fordham had better be home wins. once again Bucknell has a tough NEC opponent-- Bryant at home on the last game of the season. I know Coach Susan will have the guys ready and in each game, but a repeat of 6-5 would have to rate as an accomplishment.

As Colgate, UD, and Lehigh have all been forecast as legit contenders (and I would add Gtown) I say the Bison will take one victim. That said, Bucknell's SOS this season looks stronger than it has been in a while (thanks, Blue Hens) so maybe a loss to BU wont necessarily sink one of these teams. Wait, this is the PL... it could sink any one of these teams.

HailSzczur
April 29th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Going to bump this since everyone seems to be posting in last years thread

ODUsmitty
April 29th, 2012, 09:20 PM
ODU will be no worse than 2nd in the CAA.

I think JMU has a little surprise for us at regualar season's end that may be unpleasant - like we plan for Towson in Maryland, as well. However, other than Delaware and UNH at home, the sked sets up OK.

Hopefully aa seed and a home game v. Ga Southern or Appy. That would be sweet.

TheDancinMonarch
April 29th, 2012, 09:46 PM
As long as Taylor Heinicke remains healthy a resounding YES. Without him, not so much.

coover
April 30th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Yes they will. With the weakest schedule in the Big Sky, Cal Poly will go 9-2 or 8-3 this year. The best two teams in the Big Sky are Montana and Montana State. They are not on Cal Poly's schedule this year. Poly might even win the league outright. It might not be fair, but Cal Poly didn't do the scheduling.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
April 30th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Not making the playoffs would be a huge disappointment for JMU this year.

St. Francis (Pa.) First Meeting W
Alcorn State First Meeting W
West Virginia (FedEx Field) L
at Rhode Island* W
BYE
Towson* W
William & Mary* W
at Richmond* W
Georgia State* (Homecoming) W
at Maine* L
at Villanova* W
ODU* W (revenge game and likely for the CAA Championship)

*indicates CAA games.

JMU and Delaware avoid each other in the scheduling for the 2nd year in a row. UD will be better this year, so that is a plus for JMU's playoff chances.

I really think the schedule sets up well outside a trip to Orono, ME in late fall. We have 6 home games, our FBS game is in neutral territory (albeit against a WVU team that may be top 5 this year), and the bye falls at a time when the team can tweak a few things and get healed up and prepared for a formidable Towson team.

With so many starters returning on both sides of the ball, this a good year for JMU to have another deep run in the playoffs. A seed is not out of the realm of possibility. With UMass gone and Georgia St. here this year (and URI still here), the CAA is weaker than usual.

ODU, Delaware and JMU are my teams to watch in the CAA. Nobody in the North looks too strong this year. Delaware and Towson may fight for the third playoff spot. I don't think we get 4 or 5 bids this year.

McNeese72
April 30th, 2012, 07:52 AM
I'll tell you in November. Right now we have too many question marks.

Doc

Sammy94
April 30th, 2012, 08:18 AM
8-3, most likely 9-2. With the improvements I saw at the spring game this is will be one fun upcoming year of football. I'm 99.999% sure we make the playoffs. Only 130 days until we get stated!!!

TheRevSFA
April 30th, 2012, 08:20 AM
8-3, most likely 9-2. With the improvements I saw at the spring game this is will be one fun upcoming year of football. I'm 99.999% sure we make the playoffs. Only 130 days until we get stated!!!

yeah I don't see you guys stumbling this year. I think once you lose Flanders and Sincere, then we can start questioning your playoff run.

I think the question regarding y'all is, with the schedule you have, do you get a seed?

Sammy94
April 30th, 2012, 08:33 AM
do you get a seed?

I think that will depend on how well the rest of the FCS performs. 9-2 with losses to Baylor and A&M only, I think we get a seed. If we stumble and lose a conference game also then probably not.

Apphole
April 30th, 2012, 08:46 AM
While we're talking playoffs, I thought I'd make some people drool and look at the calender...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlywHcel638&list=UUEkjuXtUX1OMy-SZl8-K8_w&index=10&feature=plcp

Hambone
April 30th, 2012, 09:07 AM
UND: Last year showed (to me at least) alot of inconstancy and a terrible (terrible) pass defense. That said, they are good enough to beat every team they play, and have a relatively favorable schedule, at least as far as breaking in a new conference goes. Unfortunately they need 8 wins to make the playoffs, and are probably staying home next year.

Can't argue with that. I think that if UND fixes the QB position, there is a chance they could do it, but the pass defense has me scared enough to think that UND will be sitting home.

LUHawker
April 30th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Lehigh will be the concensus preseason favorite to win the PL for the third year in row. With that said, I'm not as confident as I was this time last year because of the law of averages. Overall, this team, minus the QB position, might be more talented than last years edition but that might not translate into a playoff berth. Lehigh could potentially go 9-2 and be on the outside looking in do to a pretty mediocre OOC schedule. Granted, I think the Hawks have built up enough equity that they would receive the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Lehigh's Schedule, it's hard to pick out more than 2 or 3 losses...

9/1 Monmouth (W)
9/8 @ CCSU (W)
9/15 Princeton (W)
9/22 @ Liberty (W/L) this could go either way, Liberty did lose a ton of players though so Lehigh likely will be favored, even in Lynchburg..
9/29 Fordham (W)
10/6 Columbia (W)
10/13 @ Georgetown (W)
10/20 Bucknell (W)
10/27 @ Holy Cross (L)
11/10 Colgate (W)
11/17 @ Lafayette (W)

I am not as confident about Lehigh this year as I was last year, solely because of the QB spot. I also agree that the schedule is favorable. Even with some question marks, I am not sure which other PL team is the major competition. GTown and Holy Cross at the top of the list. Eachus-less Colgate looks challenged, Lafayette has lost its compass and Bucky still not ready for primetime, so I think Lehigh is the default pick.

Sycamore51
April 30th, 2012, 10:10 AM
With a D2 and two FBS games on the schedule, I really do not think UNI makes the postseason. Barring an FBS upset, that is an 8-game season to win 7. Tough sledding but I'll be rooting for them, I really enjoyed their fans at the 2005 title game.

If UNI loses to both Wisconsin and Iowa and two MVFC games and don't make the playoffs, then I honestly think one of the top 10 teams in all of FCS will be left out. I'm so glad to have them off our schedule for the next two years.

DFW HOYA
April 30th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I am not as confident about Lehigh this year as I was last year, solely because of the QB spot. I also agree that the schedule is favorable. Even with some question marks, I am not sure which other PL team is the major competition. GTown and Holy Cross at the top of the list. Eachus-less Colgate looks challenged, Lafayette has lost its compass and Bucky still not ready for primetime, so I think Lehigh is the default pick.

I think it will be a challenge for Georgetown to be considered an at-large selction in 2012.

Any playoff bids to Georgetown after 2012 would receive calls by some on this board for a PL investigation.

DJKyR0
April 30th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Let's see here...

v. Robert Morris - W
@ Colorado St. - W (bad team that's getting wrecked by off-field issues over the offseason)
v. Prairie View A&M - W
@ Northern Iowa - L
v. Youngstown St. - W
v. Indiana State - W
@ South Dakota - W
v. Southern Ill. - W
@ Missouri State - W
v. South Dakota State - W
@ Illinois State - L

While I threw losses on the UNI and ISU games simply because it's a bit demanding to think we win both of those, NDSU can obviously beat everyone on the schedule. While 11-0 is a distinct possibility with what we have returning from an extremely good defense, I think we get sidetracked at some point similar to what happened this past season with YSU. I think we beat Colorado State for the reason I mentioned - they just have no clue right now and will walk into that one expecting a layup. All home games are W's because the crowd will be bats**t crazy from September-December. Only four true road games on the schedule is awesome, and Illinois State and UNI are both tough this season so losing one of those isn't the worst thing in the world.

I'm going to conservatively predict 9-2, good enough for at least a share of the MVFC crown and a return to the playoffs.

PurpleOut
I'm going with no as well.

I think we'll be better than last year, we'll compete for the SLC title, but I think Sam will still win. That plus a pretty tough OOC schedule, we wont have a good enough record to get an at-large. We return 10 on offense, and a good chunk on defense. Have a new OC again, but will be back to the way we were in our playoff run.

SW-Oklahoma - easy W
@ SMU - Almost won last time, should be a good game, still going L
@ Montana State - honestly don't know enough about them right now to say either way, so going with toss up
@ Texas State - I think this is a toss up as well. We are cursed against the Bobcats tho. Their terrible teams still beat our playoff teams, sigh, so I might say L
Central Arkansas - Tough game, but think a W
SHSU (in Houston) - Should be better than last years game, still an L
Nicholls State - W
@ McNeese - Tough game in Lake Chuck, but have their number right now - W
Lamar - Can't wait to beat them by 60 again - W
@ SE Louisiana - W
Northwestern State - W

I think 7-4 is about right and fair. Any wins against SMU/Montana St/Texas State would set a good tone for the rest of the season. Very similar to last year, with tough OOC schedule, tough start to conference play, easy (easier) schedule to close.

DJKyR0
Can't argue with that. I think that if UND fixes the QB position, there is a chance they could do it, but the pass defense has me scared enough to think that UND will be sitting home.

Serious question - does Denarius McGhee set some kind of record against UND in passing yards this season?

NoDak 4 Ever
April 30th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Let's see here...

v. Robert Morris - W
@ Colorado St. - W (bad team that's getting wrecked by off-field issues over the offseason)
v. Prairie View A&M - W
@ Northern Iowa - L
v. Youngstown St. - W
v. Indiana State - W
@ South Dakota - W
v. Southern Ill. - W
@ Missouri State - W
v. South Dakota State - W
@ Illinois State - L

While I threw losses on the UNI and ISU games simply because it's a bit demanding to think we win both of those, NDSU can obviously beat everyone on the schedule. While 11-0 is a distinct possibility with what we have returning from an extremely good defense, I think we get sidetracked at some point similar to what happened this past season with YSU. I think we beat Colorado State for the reason I mentioned - they just have no clue right now and will walk into that one expecting a layup. All home games are W's because the crowd will be bats**t crazy from September-December. Only four true road games on the schedule is awesome, and Illinois State and UNI are both tough this season so losing one of those isn't the worst thing in the world.

I'm going to conservatively predict 9-2, good enough for at least a share of the MVFC crown and a return to the playoffs.

While NDSU has developed the reputation of the final game clank, I'm not so sure that UNI game is a loss. They have an absolutely BRUTAL first part of the season with not one, but two FBS games and YSU on the road. They will either be desperate for a win but most likely deflated. I'm giving this one to the Bison and feeling conservative at 10-1

WestCoastAggie
April 30th, 2012, 10:29 AM
The MEAC's Auto Bid will be up for grabs between Bethune-Cookman, Norfolk St, SC State, FAMU & NC A&T. The Aggies get the Bulldogs, Rattlers and Spartans at home (#GHOE [Greatest Homecoming on Earth]). With 18 starters returning and being able to give out 90% of their scholarship allotment, Coach Rod Broadway should be considered favorites.

Some Aggie alumni and fans are expecting the the team to run the table. Others are just hoping we get our first winning season since the 2003 season, which we last won the MEAC crown.

Personally, picking a MEAC Regular Season Title winner will be a crap-shoot.

LUHawker
April 30th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I think it will be a challenge for Georgetown to be considered an at-large selction in 2012.

Any playoff bids to Georgetown after 2012 would receive calls by some on this board for a PL investigation.

I think you may have misinterpreted my statement (probably because of bad punctuation). I wasn't saying that HC and GTown were at the top of the PL list, rather, that they were the top of Lehigh's competition. I think LU still has best chance at PL title with HC and GTown contending.

van
April 30th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I think you may have misinterpreted my statement (probably because of bad punctuation). I wasn't saying that HC and GTown were at the top of the PL list, rather, that they were the top of Lehigh's competition. I think LU still has best chance at PL title with HC and GTown contending.

Not to worry hawker, DFW does not allow anything nice to be said about the Hoyas.

Hambone
April 30th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Serious question - does Denarius McGhee set some kind of record against UND in passing yards this season?

Depends on what the record currently is :)

LeadBolt
April 30th, 2012, 12:46 PM
It's hard to say that your team won't make the playoffs, but I'm guessing W&M finishes next year somewhere between 4-7 and 7-4, and will probably not make the playoffs.

I would love to look back and see that I was too pessimistic and be wrong about this...

TheRevSFA
April 30th, 2012, 12:51 PM
SLC will probably look like this:

1) Sam
2) SFA
3) UCA (though SFA and UCA could be tied for 2nd)
4) McNeese
5) NWSULA
6) SELA
7) Lamar
8) Nicholls

What will be interesting is that 2-5 in conference could be very close to eachother If UCA, SFA, McNeese, or NWSULA goes 7-4 we could possibly have more than just the AQ in the playoffs.

Will be interesting to see.

BEAR
April 30th, 2012, 12:55 PM

1) Sam
2) SFA
4) McNeese
5) NWSULA
6) SELA
7) Lamar
8) Nicholls

What will be interesting is that 2-5 in conference could be very close to eachother If UCA, SFA, McNeese, or NWSULA goes 7-4 we could possibly have more than just the AQ in the playoffs.

I like that scenario! xlolx With UCA having Ole Miss and Sam Houston early in the year, it might make for yet ANOTHER year where the Bears have to win out to be eligible. NEVER a good scenario to be in for a team that lost some pretty good defensive players and a starting QB. But if, and I mean IF, UCA can pull out of the first four games 3-1, then MAYBE they will end up 8-2 for their division I wins....Bacone college obviously doesn't apply..xlolx. A loss to Bacone and I don't care how many we win....xlolx xlolx

TheRevSFA
April 30th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I like that scenario! xlolx With UCA having Ole Miss and Sam Houston early in the year, it might make for yet ANOTHER year where the Bears have to win out to be eligible. NEVER a good scenario to be in for a team that lost some pretty good defensive players and a starting QB. But if, and I mean IF, UCA can pull out of the first four games 3-1, then MAYBE they will end up 8-2 for their division I wins....Bacone college obviously doesn't apply..xlolx. A loss to Bacone and I don't care how many we win....xlolx xlolx

I just am glad we get you guys in Nac and not on that field.

BTW Check your PMs.

etiger
April 30th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Towson University will make the playoff's and I beleive will be Repeat CAA Champs. I feel that we will be 9-2 or 8-3

Aug 30 @ Kent State(Win)
Sep 15 William and Mary (Win)
Sep 22 St. Francis (Pa.) - HOMECOMING (Win)
Sep 29 @ Louisiana State (Loss - Would just like to stay competitive and healty)
Oct 06 @ James Madison (Toss up - Think we win, but it depends on how we handle LSU the week before)
Oct 13 Maine (Win)
Oct 20 Old Dominion (Win - ODU has this game marked after the 4th and 29 TD. They will be so psyched up that they play bad)
Oct 27 @ Villanova (Win)
Nov 03 @ Delaware (Win - But it is always hard to play at UD. This could be another loss)
Nov 10 Rhode Island (Win)
Nov 17 @ New Hampshire (Win)

mmiller_34
April 30th, 2012, 06:45 PM
For what its worth, here is what I see happening in 2012:

2012 South Dakota State Schedule:

L @ Kansas
W @ Southeastern Louisiana
W UC Davis [Cereal Bowl]
W @ Indiana State *
W Missouri State [Beef Bowl] *
W Western Illinois [Hall of Fame Game] *
L @ Northern Iowa *
W Youngstown State [Hobo Day] *
W @ Southern Illinois *
L @ North Dakota State *
W South Dakota *

8-3, A nice little rebound from last season.

Sycamore51
April 30th, 2012, 07:01 PM
For what its worth, here is what I see happening in 2012:

2012 South Dakota State Schedule:

L @ Kansas
W @ Southeastern Louisiana
W UC Davis [Cereal Bowl]
W @ Indiana State *
W Missouri State [Beef Bowl] *
W Western Illinois [Hall of Fame Game] *
L @ Northern Iowa *
W Youngstown State [Hobo Day] *
W @ Southern Illinois *
L @ North Dakota State *
W South Dakota *

8-3, A nice little rebound from last season.

I'm not sure how you have the game at Terre Haute as a win? We beat you pretty solidly last year, bring back our entire D, have bell back, good WR's, and have only dropped 2 home games in 2 years. I think you'll lose that one.

james_lawfirm
May 1st, 2012, 02:40 PM
We'll be there. And this time we won't take an early exit not that we've cured the offensive committee cancer.

Hopefully, you meant "now", and not "not".

RabidRabbit
May 1st, 2012, 03:29 PM
I'm not sure how you have the game at Terre Haute as a win? We beat you pretty solidly last year, bring back our entire D, have bell back, good WR's, and have only dropped 2 home games in 2 years. I think you'll lose that one.

I agree w/MMiller that Jacks should win the game in Terre Haute. However, it is also the most likely game of the listed above SDSU W's to get shifted to an L. Regarding last year's W by the Trees in Brookings, there were 2 key FLUKE plays that changed the course of the game 14 points for the Trees and subtracted 7 from the Jacks. How many times does the kicker break his legs (yes plural) stepping into the kick-off, falls on the ball at the 35. So that Jacks get hit with a 15-yd penalty (ball didn't travel 10 yds) and ISU gets ball handed to them on the 20? Then the punt that was downed at the 2 foot line, but judged in. Huge momentum shifts with both plays. Jacks will not be in the disarray they were last year when Trees/Jacks meet.

Happy to see the Trees are no longer a gimme win! Best of success to the ISU Blues (except against Rabbits)

NoDak 4 Ever
May 1st, 2012, 03:33 PM

I have to admit, I was at the NDSU/ISUb game last year and I don't get it. I don't understand how, except for sheer coincidence, there is that much success at home. The "stadium" was so quiet I could hear the conversation in the huddle when NDSU was on offense. I don't understand how there is any home field advantage in Terre Haute.

clenz
May 1st, 2012, 03:36 PM
The fact its that quiet is why.

UNIs spring game was louder than games there. Players aren't used to that. Rasiereto play in hostile environments and quiet...forces you to focus morw

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

msupokes1
May 1st, 2012, 03:47 PM

1) Sam
2) SFA
4) McNeese
5) NWSULA
6) SELA
7) Lamar
8) Nicholls

I think McNeese will be much improved from last year with some big additions to the d line and a 6th year senior back on the offensive line. UCA is in Lake Charles this year, so I like our chances. I think Sam is clearly the team to beat but we all know how hard it is to repeat as champions.

Milktruck74
May 3rd, 2012, 07:38 AM
The so con is flat out reloaded this year. There are realistically 6 teams that could make it, but we all know the committee will only let 3 in (maybe this is the year we get 4).

So, I feel this is the year my Mocs turn the corner and make it to the playoffs, but I can see another 6-5 season, too. If only we played in hte OVC, we would get in (and make an early exit) every year....HA

Sycamore51
May 3rd, 2012, 07:44 AM
I have to admit, I was at the NDSU/ISUb game last year and I don't get it. I don't understand how, except for sheer coincidence, there is that much success at home. The "stadium" was so quiet I could hear the conversation in the huddle when NDSU was on offense. I don't understand how there is any home field advantage in Terre Haute.

Clenz is exactly correct. We lul you to sleep and make you nervous. I's Indiana, what can we say, we average a better attendance for basketball than we do football and our arena is about the same size. If NDSU ever plays at IU you will see the same atmosphere. There will be at least twice as many in the parking lot still drinking during the game as there are people in the stadium, but you NEVER miss tip off.

clenz
May 3rd, 2012, 08:32 AM
Clenz is exactly correct. We lul you to sleep and make you nervous. I's Indiana, what can we say, we average a better attendance for basketball than we do football and our arena is about the same size. If NDSU ever plays at IU you will see the same atmosphere. There will be at least twice as many in the parking lot still drinking during the game as there are people in the stadium, but you NEVER miss tip off.

I've talked to a couple former players and that's where I got my info.

In 2010 ISUb was better, but not great....UNI only beat them 30-20. I talked with a couple players who were on the team then and they said it's just tough to concentrate as hard there compared to a place like NDSU.

Eaglesrus
May 3rd, 2012, 08:33 AM
I think McNeese will be much improved from last year with some big additions to the d line and a 6th year senior back on the offensive line. UCA is in Lake Charles this year, so I like our chances. I think Sam is clearly the team to beat but we all know how hard it is to repeat as champions.

Some of us don't know that you can win one and not repeat, but over the last 12 years we've become much more cognizant of how hard it is to win the first.

Sycamore51
May 3rd, 2012, 08:59 AM
I've talked to a couple former players and that's where I got my info.

In 2010 ISUb was better, but not great....UNI only beat them 30-20. I talked with a couple players who were on the team then and they said it's just tough to concentrate as hard there compared to a place like NDSU.

In loud, hostile environments, you can play off of emotion but when it's quite and kind of dead, it's hard to do the same. Over the past few years we have tended to jump out big on teams then hang on for the win. The visiting team almost always comes out flat because of the environment. Talent wise we've made an upgrade too though. We didn't have anybody drafted this year, but do have three kids that signed free agent deals already.

DSUrocks07
May 3rd, 2012, 01:46 PM
Hopes for 2012? Winning season...

I also hope that our athletic department gets their act together.

danefan
May 3rd, 2012, 01:52 PM
After seeing our offense in the spring game - I'd say close but no cigar.