PDA

View Full Version : Stony Brook to the CAA?

BlueHenSinfonian
April 26th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Great day today...received phenomenal news about some stuff regarding @SBAthletics Can't wait to share! Stay tuned; gonna be transformative

The buzz is May 1st is the day we really find out what's going on with VCU and GMU. Stony Brook has been discussed as the most likely candidate to be invited to the CAA to replace recent lost members. Could this tweet be related?

http://twitter.com/#!/jdfiore

Tribe4SF
April 27th, 2012, 02:42 AM
I hope so. Would be good to have some additive news for the conference. I think SB is a no-brainer.

frozennorth
April 27th, 2012, 03:28 AM
win-win for all involved

NHwildEcat
April 27th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Perfect fit...I have thought this for some time now!

Bogus Megapardus
April 27th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by Jim Fiore

Great day today...received phenomenal news about some stuff regarding @SBAthletics

Saved a bunch of money on car insurance by switching to GEICO?

Dane96
April 27th, 2012, 07:45 AM
That is not what the tweet is about; Facility related and that they signed a Maryland CB transfer.

That said, doesnt mean SBU isnt in the CAA for football come MAY 1.

M Ruler
April 27th, 2012, 08:19 AM
As a Albany fan I am hopeful to get the CAA call along with SBU. Would'nt it make sense tr add both UA and SBU to the CAA???

Dane96
April 27th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Sure....but I am not sure we have the leadership to be as pro-active as Fiore; great job by him.

M Ruler
April 27th, 2012, 08:39 AM
It is now clear we should have gone to the Big South with SBU when we were invited.

If UA does not get the call along with SBU I wont be surprised. It doesnt appear that the CAA has any interest in UA. We are really only 2 years behind SBU and with a new facility we could be ramped up and CAA ready in two short seasons.

I hope McElroy pulls a rabbit out of his hat. It will be disappointing if the invite is not extended.

UA-SBU could be a great rivalry.

WestCoastAggie
April 27th, 2012, 09:03 AM
So who would the Big South pluck from the MEAC and/or the PFL, if this move occurs?

Wildcat80
April 27th, 2012, 09:09 AM
With new signees & transfers SB has a terrific team building....great stadium & Northeast location. Just gotta like the ferry ride!

Bogus Megapardus
April 27th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I was very surprised by how nice Stony Brook's stadium is and by the atmosphere in the stands.

bluehenbillk
April 27th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Stony Brook will be a good addition for the CAA. Not a matter of if, but when (weeks vs a month or two).

whitey
April 27th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I think the majority of CAA fans are on board with Stony Brook replacing Georgia State. It's an upgrade basketball-wise, football-wise, and geographically. Not to mention their lacrosse program, school profile and academics.

Go...gate
April 27th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I was very surprised by how nice Stony Brook's stadium is and by the atmosphere in the stands.

It is terrific - a great place to watch college fb or lacrosse.

Go...gate
April 27th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I think the majority of CAA fans are on board with Stony Brook replacing Georgia State. It's an upgrade basketball-wise, football-wise, and geographically. Not to mention their lacrosse program, school profile and academics.

Maine and New Hampshire are probably breathing a little easier as well, even more if Albany joins the loop.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 27th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Stony Brook will be a good addition for the CAA. Not a matter of if, but when (weeks vs a month or two).

"Said unnamed sources" xlolx

CRAZY_DANE
April 27th, 2012, 08:11 PM
If Albany does not get an invite with SBU to the CAA, we need to look to back fill SBU in the Big South. We need to move up to a full scholly conference regardless of what occurs.

Seawolf97
April 27th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I would hope it is for all sports. Considering our lax programs , new basketball arena in 2013 and Joe Nathan Field for baseball. The Big South is going to be hurting in football if we leave along with Liberty and Coastal over the next few years. I know both schools have an interest in moving up to different conferences sooner rather than later.

BlueHenSinfonian
April 27th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I would hope it is for all sports. Considering our lax programs , new basketball arena in 2013 and Joe Nathan Field for baseball. The Big South is going to be hurting in football if we leave along with Liberty and Coastal over the next few years. I know both schools have an interest in moving up to different conferences sooner rather than later.

It would be another strong entry for the CAA being a dominant lax league. UMass is tearing it up this year, Penn State is making a good showing, and Drexel and Hofstra are both hovering just below the ranked teams. Delaware fell apart a bit this year, but the team is young and with a year of experience under their belts they should shoot up next year, and Stony Brook is right around the same level.

I like it for basketball too, especially if the move includes Albany in all sports which would collapse the America East and likely bring Maine and UNH into the CAA for all sports.

BearsCountry
April 28th, 2012, 01:53 AM
I like it for basketball too, especially if the move includes Albany in all sports which would collapse the America East and likely bring Maine and UNH into the CAA for all sports.

I don't see the CAA taking Albany or New Hampshire/Maine just yet, mainly to avoid a collapse of the America East. A move like that would more than likely involve getting the CAA up to 16 with Binghamton, UMBC, and Vermont coming along for the ride as well. Boston University and Hartford could poentially be targets of the MAAC, moving their hoops tournament to Massachusetts already means they would like to get into that market.

BucBisonAtLarge
April 28th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Why isn't Loyola in anyone's discussions of replacing all-sports losses in the CAA? They have gone through the gyrations required of the 'other CYO' league and lack football, but remain at the MAAC's southernmost corner and do not in the present day seem to have a lot in common with the upstate New York schools. They would be square in the middle of the CAA and might even reduce travel costs.

Dane96
April 28th, 2012, 09:18 AM
I don't see the CAA taking Albany or New Hampshire/Maine just yet, mainly to avoid a collapse of the America East. A move like that would more than likely involve getting the CAA up to 16 with Binghamton, UMBC, and Vermont coming along for the ride as well. Boston University and Hartford could poentially be targets of the MAAC, moving their hoops tournament to Massachusetts already means they would like to get into that market.

Ummmm...what?!

Not that I disagree with what you are saying about Albany today...but there is NO WAY UMBC is a CAA target...not a chance. Neither is Binghamton. BU is a clear choice...Vermont, if they get their new arena...a maybe choice.

Dane96
April 28th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Why isn't Loyola in anyone's discussions of replacing all-sports losses in the CAA? They have gone through the gyrations required of the 'other CYO' league and lack football, but remain at the MAAC's southernmost corner and do not in the present day seem to have a lot in common with the upstate New York schools. They would be square in the middle of the CAA and might even reduce travel costs.

What do we have in common w/ Loyola except that our stadium will look the same?

That said, Loyola could be a non-hoop target.

Seawolf97
April 29th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Just as another convincer for CAA membership StonyBrooks mens lax won their second straight America East Regular Season Championship last night. Lax is a big part of the CAA's menu of sports and although we werent world beaters this year we continue to win.

blukeys
April 29th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Just as another convincer for CAA membership StonyBrooks mens lax won their second straight America East Regular Season Championship last night. Lax is a big part of the CAA's menu of sports and although we werent world beaters this year we continue to win.

The CAA is huge in lax and SBU fits into the lax east coast footprint perfectly. Lax continues to grow with High Schools adding boys and girls programs.

Football coaches love Lax as an off season sport because it adds hitting and running to an off season team.