PDA

View Full Version : BR-Big Sky 2012 Preview

ursus arctos horribilis
April 25th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Here's something for the fans to argue about.:D

Having made an appearance in the FCS National Championship game three of the last four seasons, the Big Sky Conference has established itself as one of the premier conferences in the FCS.

Bleacher Report BSC Preview (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1157321-big-sky-conference-football-2012-spring-power-rankings)

darell1976
April 25th, 2012, 04:03 AM
I don't mind seeing UND at #6, we will see how UND handles a BSC schedule with Cal Poly, and Montana at home UND could suprise some people in the conference. We do have MSU and EWU on the road so UND is going to have to play damn near perfect football to win those games. I think with the four new teams in the league it could be neck and neck to win the conference. Good luck to all the teams!!

bojeta
April 25th, 2012, 08:16 AM
The two favorites are deservedly the favorites, but I think every team in the Big Sky is capable of upsetting any other. Don't look for any team to go unscathed in conference. Oh..., except Cal Poly :)

darell1976
April 25th, 2012, 08:22 AM
The two favorites are deservedly the favorites, but I think every team in the Big Sky is capable of upsetting any other. Don't look for any team to go unscathed in conference. Oh..., except Cal Poly :)

Wouldn't be something to have the BSC title go to a GWFC team.

mgbison
April 25th, 2012, 08:29 AM
I was reading the forum and there was an article about UND's spring game. I think UND could be in trouble this season. Anytime the offense can put up big numbers in a spring game, normally means your defense is terrible. The article sounded a lot like NDSU when Mertens was the QB, our offense looked great in the spring game, but when the regular season came around our o was ok and the defense was bad.

With that being said, give UND a couple of years and they will probably be in the mix of things. They were a good D2 team (probably a lot better in the early-mid 2000's than they are now). They seemed to have a good recruiting class on paper, but who doesn't.

darell1976
April 25th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I was reading the forum and there was an article about UND's spring game. I think UND could be in trouble this season. Anytime the offense can put up big numbers in a spring game, normally means your defense is terrible. The article sounded a lot like NDSU when Mertens was the QB, our offense looked great in the spring game, but when the regular season came around our o was ok and the defense was bad.

With that being said, give UND a couple of years and they will probably be in the mix of things. They were a good D2 team (probably a lot better in the early-mid 2000's than they are now). They seemed to have a good recruiting class on paper, but who doesn't.

We had a different coaching staff back then, and that could be the difference. I thought about the high flying air game UND's offense showed, I thought either our offense is going to be great (running game is pretty solid) or else our defense (which our secondary was suspect...UNC really lit up our defense last year) isn't going to be good. Its hard to tell what to read into on a spring game.

bobcathpdevil56
April 25th, 2012, 12:08 PM

That would be a very interesting start to this new and improved BSC:)

NoCoDanny
April 26th, 2012, 09:25 PM
They have us ranked too high there should be most of the RMAC in there ahead of us. xbangx

clawman
April 26th, 2012, 11:33 PM

Ya, that would be something alright, something amazing. If that happens buy a lottery ticket.

bojeta
April 27th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Ya, that would be something alright, something amazing. If that happens buy a lottery ticket.

Let's see.... I'm thinking maybe my kid's birthdays...., their ages..., maybe my anniversary :)

frozennorth
April 27th, 2012, 03:37 AM
We had a different coaching staff back then, and that could be the difference. I thought about the high flying air game UND's offense showed, I thought either our offense is going to be great (running game is pretty solid) or else our defense (which our secondary was suspect...UNC really lit up our defense last year) isn't going to be good. Its hard to tell what to read into on a spring game.

cal poly lit up UND. The secondary was straight awful last year.

anyway i wouldn't be surprised to see UM, MSU, EWU and CP all make the playoffs and none of them get a seed.

darell1976
April 27th, 2012, 08:04 AM
cal poly lit up UND. The secondary was straight awful last year.

anyway i wouldn't be surprised to see UM, MSU, EWU and CP all make the playoffs and none of them get a seed.

No they didn't. Final score was 23-19. CP's QB went 12-21 162yds and 2TD's. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=312950155

A team's defense getting lit up would be UNC throwing for over 400 yards. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=313022458

cpalum
April 27th, 2012, 10:39 AM
No they didn't. Final score was 23-19. CP's QB went 12-21 162yds and 2TD's. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=312950155

A team's defense getting lit up would be UNC throwing for over 400 yards. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=313022458

I know that was a tight game; I think UND will perform better than most folks think but ........Darell....12 completions and 162 yards from this Cal Poly offense by air definitley qualifys as lighting it up....

darell1976
April 27th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I know that was a tight game; I think UND will perform better than most folks think but ........Darell....12 completions and 162 yards from this Cal Poly offense by air definitley qualifys as lighting it up....

I don't think he (frozennorth) thought it was a tight game. UND plays Cal Poly very close at home and I would expect this season to be no different.

frozennorth
April 27th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I don't think he (frozennorth) thought it was a tight game. UND plays Cal Poly very close at home and I would expect this season to be no different.

jesus you're an idiot sometimes. We were talking about passing. Cal poly, and team that never passes, threw for 162 yards. That's every bit as bad, if not worse, than giving up 400 to UNC

darell1976
April 27th, 2012, 11:31 AM
jesus you're an idiot sometimes. We were talking about passing. Cal poly, and team that never passes, threw for 162 yards. That's every bit as bad, if not worse, than giving up 400 to UNC

Sorry my definition of getting lit up is NOT 162 yds....UND's secondary gave up 201 to Drake, 307 to Idaho, 235 to Fresno State, 201 to Black Hills St, 353 to SUU, 238 to Montana Western, 430 to UNC, 202 to Sioux Falls, 153 to UC Davis, and 225 to South Dakota. So allowing Cal Poly only 162 in the air by the way other teams were throwing against UND I would say is pretty good. Only UC Davis did worse than Cal Poly. Here is their QB's stats...UND, S. Alabama, South Dakota State, Central OK, UC Davis, and South Dakota gave up over 100 yds passing to a team that never passes. I guess all these teams defensive secondaries were awful.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/players/166398

KNUTS
April 27th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I have to say that I haven't read one article from BR that I havent totally liked and agreed with. Reminds me of the Tony Moss days with Sports Network.

bojeta
April 27th, 2012, 04:53 PM

Most of the smack about UND is driven by the NDSU group. Those who buy into it have no clue how solid the program really is. Becuase of prior inelligibility and the GWC scheduling nightmare, UND had questionable teams on previous schedules, but still performed well against legitimate competition. Anyone who thinks they will be a pushover in the Big Sky is in store for a rude awakening!! Really sucks for us that we have to go back to your house again this year!! Always tough at home!!

darell1976
April 27th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Most of the smack about UND is driven by the NDSU group. Those who buy into it have no clue how solid the program really is. Becuase of prior inelligibility and the GWC scheduling nightmare, UND had questionable teams on previous schedules, but still performed well against legitimate competition. Anyone who thinks they will be a pushover in the Big Sky is in store for a rude awakening!! Really sucks for us that we have to go back to your house again this year!! Always tough at home!!

Good post!! Most of the Big Sky sees UND as the newbie in town and think UND can't win legitimate games. UND has beaten Big Sky cellar dwellers in Northern Colorado, and Idaho State. Played Montana tough (even led) during UND's 3 win season, and just last season were ranked for the first time in big wins against ranked Southern Utah and ranked South Dakota. UND did go 5-1 vs FCS teams and 5-3 in DI competition. They have improved greatly every year and barring any serious injuries should be a threat in the next couple seasons. If not this season definately next season. I still think the top 3 not in any order will be Montana, Montana State, and Cal Poly.

GoAgs72
April 27th, 2012, 06:22 PM
It will be very tough to place the middle of the pack in the BSC until we have a couple of years of the integrated conference. Everyone agrees Montana, Montana State and Eastern Washington are at or near the top of the pack. Northern Colorado and maybe Idaho State are near the bottom. Just about everyone in the middle has won or lost multiple games to others in the middle. Pretty hard to pick between Cal Poly, Weber State, UND, Southern Utah, UC Davis, Northern Arizona, Sac State and Portland State. Some posters have based their assumptions on easy or hard schedules and maybe that is the only way to pick one over the others but I think there will still be surprises, as usual. Coaching turnovers such as at Weber State might count for an additional loss or two. What about UC Davis with a last year coach - retires at end of season?

Ginsbach
April 27th, 2012, 06:31 PM
My only prediction: Idaho State will be a better football team than UND this year.

bojeta
April 27th, 2012, 06:48 PM
It will be very tough to place the middle of the pack in the BSC until we have a couple of years of the integrated conference. Everyone agrees Montana, Montana State and Eastern Washington are at or near the top of the pack. Northern Colorado and maybe Idaho State are near the bottom. Just about everyone in the middle has won or lost multiple games to others in the middle. Pretty hard to pick between Cal Poly, Weber State, UND, Southern Utah, UC Davis, Northern Arizona, Sac State and Portland State. Some posters have based their assumptions on easy or hard schedules and maybe that is the only way to pick one over the others but I think there will still be surprises, as usual. Coaching turnovers such as at Weber State might count for an additional loss or two. What about UC Davis with a last year coach - retires at end of season?

I have to agree with you. It's just too difficult to tell until we see what some of the new talent on each team brings to the table. After a few games, we'll start to get a picture of who will challenge the Montanas. Until then we're all just guessing and hoping. Of course, I feel great about Cal Poly's prospects, but then again, so does everyone else in the conference about their own, save NC and IS. However, I think even last year's BSC bottom dwellers might shock some teams. I know this much.... the BSC is the place to be and it's going to be sooooooooo.... much better for the fans!!

frozennorth
April 27th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Sorry my definition of getting lit up is NOT 162 yds....UND's secondary gave up 201 to Drake, 307 to Idaho, 235 to Fresno State, 201 to Black Hills St, 353 to SUU, 238 to Montana Western, 430 to UNC, 202 to Sioux Falls, 153 to UC Davis, and 225 to South Dakota. So allowing Cal Poly only 162 in the air by the way other teams were throwing against UND I would say is pretty good. Only UC Davis did worse than Cal Poly. Here is their QB's stats...UND, S. Alabama, South Dakota State, Central OK, UC Davis, and South Dakota gave up over 100 yds passing to a team that never passes. I guess all these teams defensive secondaries were awful.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/players/166398

do you actually process what you read? Only one team gave up more yards than UND, and threw for 50% more yards than his average against UND.

darell1976
April 27th, 2012, 10:20 PM
My only prediction: Idaho State will be a better football team than UND this year.

We will see my friend....Good luck!!

coover
April 29th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Regarding Cal Poly's chances ... I suspect very few of you realize that Cal Poly plays neither Montana or Montana State this year. That give's them a great chance to have as good or better record (in league) than any other team. They may actually win it all this year, even if the two Montana's are better teams. They have 8 league games this year.

At home, they will play UC Davis, Northern Colorado, Portland State and Idaho State.

Away, their league schedule will be North Dakota, Weber State, Sacramento State and Northern Arizona.

They may not win them all, but all of these schools should be beatable.

Their non conference schedule will include a home game against U San Diego and away games versus Wyoming and Eastern Washington (a non-conference game against a conference foe).

I wouldn't be surprised to see an 8-3 or 9-2 record. They may actually win the Big Sky. Please note that I use the word "may", not the word "will." But I do expect them to be a playoff team.

Go Mustangs!

darell1976
April 29th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Regarding Cal Poly's chances ... I suspect very few of you realize that Cal Poly plays neither Montana or Montana State this year. That give's them a great chance to have as good or better record (in league) than any other team. They may actually win it all this year, even if the two Montana's are better teams. They have 8 league games this year.

At home, they will play UC Davis, Northern Colorado, Portland State and Idaho State.

Away, their league schedule will be North Dakota, Weber State, Sacramento State and Northern Arizona.

They may not win them all, but all of these schools should be beatable.

Their non conference schedule will include a home game against U San Diego and away games versus Wyoming and Eastern Washington (a non-conference game against a conference foe).

I wouldn't be surprised to see an 8-3 or 9-2 record. They may actually win the Big Sky. Please note that I use the word "may", not the word "will." But I do expect them to be a playoff team.

Go Mustangs!

I see Cal Poly in the top 3 if not a great chance at winning the BSC. IMO you guys are definately playoff bound.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 29th, 2012, 06:52 PM
I see Cal Poly in the top 3 if not a great chance at winning the BSC. IMO you guys are definately playoff bound.

Agreed, things are set up well for them.

coover
April 30th, 2012, 01:11 AM
Hey Darrel,

Just a thought ... you can drop the x number of games until you are playoff eligible. Your 2012 Football team IS PLAYOFF ELIGIBLE NOW. Hope to see you late in 2012 along with Poly. Maybe we can play a playoff game in SLO together. You'll enjoy playing outdoors on a real grass field late in the year...fresh air, probably good weather, and no concrete to land on when tackled.

darell1976
April 30th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Hey Darrel,

Just a thought ... you can drop the x number of games until you are playoff eligible. Your 2012 Football team IS PLAYOFF ELIGIBLE NOW. Hope to see you late in 2012 along with Poly. Maybe we can play a playoff game in SLO together. You'll enjoy playing outdoors on a real grass field late in the year...fresh air, probably good weather, and no concrete to land on when tackled.

Technically our transition doesn't start until July 1st. UND hasn't gotten the letter yet unlike South Dakota who got theirs a month or so ago. Of course this nickname issue makes everyone nervous in case the NCAA wants to throw something else at us like an extra year of transition.