PDA

View Full Version : Weber State's Smith to Arkansas?

kdinva
April 23rd, 2012, 02:35 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Arkansas-Razorbacks-name-John-L-Smith-interim-football-coach-replacing-fired-Bobby-Petrino-042312

For one season only? What BS (don't mean big sky, either). If true, I feel for all the fans in Ogden and nationwide.

BEAR
April 23rd, 2012, 02:58 PM
xlolx He must want that multi-million dollar paycheck, even for just one year. xlolx All I know is that he better have his ducks in a row and have ABSOLUTELY ZERO strikes or past incidents that bring anything about him into question or the media in this state will sell a few more ads and papers. xlolx

Gringer1
April 23rd, 2012, 10:47 PM
He must not care about finding another job after this year. Looks like a good way to destroy your employment reputation. Especially since this is the second time he's done something like this to a team.

HailSzczur
April 23rd, 2012, 11:15 PM
He must not care about finding another job after this year. Looks like a good way to destroy your employment reputation. Especially since this is the second time he's done something like this to a team.

Unless he does a good job......

HailSzczur
April 23rd, 2012, 11:15 PM

Unless he does a good job......

Gringer1
April 23rd, 2012, 11:48 PM
Bailing on one team without ever coaching a game and letting the players of another team find out that you're leaving during half time of a bowl game doesn't inspire much confidence in a man's integrity. A lot of places ill be wary of taking a guy who seems so untrustworthy.

UNIFanSince1983
April 24th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Bailing on one team without ever coaching a game and letting the players of another team find out that you're leaving during half time of a bowl game doesn't inspire much confidence in a man's integrity. A lot of places ill be wary of taking a guy who seems so untrustworthy.

Well Arkansas did hire Bobby Petrino after leaving the Falcons in the middle of the season. Integrity does not exude from that program. Just as long as John L. Smith doesn't have a 25 year old girl on the back of his motorcycle they are fine with it apparently...

Libertine
April 24th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Oh, good lawd, people.

First, the man is 63 years old so I very much doubt that he's worried about what AGS posters think of his reputation at this point.
Second, the man is obviously eminently employable judging by the fact that he is currently employed as a head coach in the SEC.
Third, it's a job. That's all it is. Don't turn being a coach into something it's not. It's not a marriage and it's not a familial commitment. Being the head coach at Weber State is a job and being the head coach at Arkansas is a much much better job.

BEAR
April 24th, 2012, 08:31 AM
1) He was special teams coach at Arkansas just two years ago. Thererfore he has coached in some capacity in the SEC.
2) He's got a 10 month contract worth $850,000....probably $700,000 more than he would have made at Weber State.
3) The last coach left town so fast that he left the Harley in the coaches parkinig spot. Got a few dings but it still rides.
4) Pig fans are so unrealistic that they believe they will win the national championship...with a defense that allowed 400+ yards in the first half of their red/white game. Please. Bama's gonna light them up AGAIN.
5) He'll enjoy coaching at the cotton bowl with 8+ wins.
6) He's in his 60s. I think he's probably ready to retire and enjoy the fruits of his labor all those years in football. Why not cap it off with a BIG paycheck before you duck out?

TheRevSFA
April 24th, 2012, 08:42 AM
1) He was special teams coach at Arkansas just two years ago. Thererfore he has coached in some capacity in the SEC.
2) He's got a 10 month contract worth $850,000....probably $700,000 more than he would have made at Weber State.
3) The last coach left town so fast that he left the Harley in the coaches parkinig spot. Got a few dings but it still rides.
4) Pig fans are so unrealistic that they believe they will win the national championship...with a defense that allowed 400+ yards in the first half of their red/white game. Please. Bama's gonna light them up AGAIN.
5) He'll enjoy coaching at the cotton bowl with 8+ wins.
6) He's in his 60s. I think he's probably ready to retire and enjoy the fruits of his labor all those years in football. Why not cap it off with a BIG paycheck before you duck out?

Hey now..I'm a pig fan (after SFA) my mom's family is from Arkansas..but I know they aren't NC material.

bonarae
April 24th, 2012, 09:10 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/18792412/arkansas-hire-of-smith-so-bad-a-vacation-is-torn-asunder

BEAR
April 24th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Hey now..I'm a pig fan (after SFA) my mom's family is from Arkansas..but I know they aren't NC material.

Sounds like your problem not mine. The pigs have controlled everything in this state and refuse to let anyone else make headlines. I couldn't care less if that whole program went under. They still suck the teet of the alleged shared 64 title everytime they have a bad year. But enjoy your team!

TheRevSFA
April 24th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Sounds like your problem not mine. The pigs have controlled everything in this state and refuse to let anyone else make headlines. I couldn't care less if that whole program went under. They have never been NC material and never will be, but they shove it down our throats that they are and always will be. Please.

Yeah you have gotten pretty ****ed over by Arkansas. I will agree with that.

GeauxLions94
April 24th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Sounds like your problem not mine. The pigs have controlled everything in this state and refuse to let anyone else make headlines. I couldn't care less if that whole program went under. They still suck the teet of the alleged shared 64 title everytime they have a bad year. But enjoy your team!

Kind of like some team about 45 miles west of here and wears Purple and Gold (who will also light up Ar-kansas in 2012)

... and that was soooooo 48 years ago! If it weren't for LSU's recent BCS titles, folks down here would still be bragging about the '58 national title.

BEAR
April 24th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Yeah you have gotten pretty ****ed over by Arkansas. I will agree with that.

I've heard fans of other teams in Louisiana get the same treatment from LSU so no biggie. I just hate it for the kids who were born and raised in Arkansas that go on to ANY college in this state that are told they are second rate because they didn't get picked to go to uaf. I take pride in those same kids in their failures and their successes. I may not be a fan of every school in this backward state, but those kids deserve better than what uaf slaps them with on a yearly basis.

BEAR
April 24th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Kind of like some team about 45 miles west of here and wears Purple and Gold (who will also light up Ar-kansas in 2012)

... and that was soooooo 48 years ago! If it weren't for LSU's recent BCS titles, folks down here would still be bragging about the '58 national title.

xlolx Talk about timing and truth! I cheer for anyone who plays Arkansas-fayetteville. Keep in mind though I don't cheer against players, just programs....especially ones like uaf...and it's uaf not Arkansas for all outsiders. They aren't the only ones who represent this state.

BEAR
April 24th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Let's get this topic back on track! xlolx

bonarae
April 24th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Another one...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/24/sports/ncaafootball/arkansas-hires-john-l-smith-to-replace-petrino.html?_r=2&ref=sports

TheRevSFA
April 24th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I've heard fans of other teams in Louisiana get the same treatment from LSU so no biggie. I just hate it for the kids who were born and raised in Arkansas that go on to ANY college in this state that are told they are second rate because they didn't get picked to go to uaf. I take pride in those same kids in their failures and their successes. I may not be a fan of every school in this backward state, but those kids deserve better than what uaf slaps them with on a yearly basis.

Hey it's kinda like us in Texas not going to Texas..A&M..Tech..Baylor..SMU..TCU...etc..

it's alright. I root for UCA except for when they are playing SFA...except I still think you only had such a successful season last year due to the fact that no one could see on your turf...

bobcathpdevil56
April 24th, 2012, 12:08 PM
My question would be where does WSU go from here? Any Weber guys know anything about potential guys coming in, or is it gonna be an inside hiring?

Eight Legger
April 24th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Is he really a Weber alum? That makes it a little more interesting.

laxVik
April 24th, 2012, 01:24 PM
If this coaching carousel nonsense is allowed than the NCAA has to take a long look at rules with players transferring as well.

bobcathpdevil56
April 24th, 2012, 01:25 PM
If this coaching carousel nonsense is allowed than the NCAA has to take a long look at rules with players transferring as well.

Agreed

HailSzczur
April 24th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Any word on how this is going to effect the new recruits for this year? Obviously none of them are going to follow him to Arkansas, but I wonder if this chaos will change any of their minds.

Grizcountry420
April 24th, 2012, 02:08 PM
My question would be where does WSU go from here? Any Weber guys know anything about potential guys coming in, or is it gonna be an inside hiring?

My guess would be that they would try to get McBride back for another season.. He is an assistant coach for some Utah Areana League team now....

grayghost06
April 25th, 2012, 01:41 AM
I'm surprised no one has brought this up. How is it that a head coach in one of the top four FCS conferences is being paid $130,000? C'mon Weber, time to open up the purse strings.

I Bleed Purple
April 25th, 2012, 02:23 AM
No idea what Bovee will do.

I'm actually not in favor of going after a current head coach, since it's doing what Arkansas just did. Probably just interim a guy on staff. I'm all for McBride, but I don't think it'll happen.

I Bleed Purple
April 27th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Looks like Jody Sears is getting the interim tag. Was hired to be DC in April, I think.