PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh Spring Game

ngineer
April 21st, 2012, 07:55 PM
This was a great opportunity for some rising sophs and juniors to make their cases for starting positions or serious playing time. A good number of starters kept out due to recovery from surgery this winter and cautionary steps. Spadola kept out of the scrimmage, but made some very nice catches in skeleton drills. He has such a grace that makes his routes look effortless. Jamal Haggins, TE, put on a nice show that makes one wonder if we could be seeing another Bergen coming. A 'break out' season by him will really open up matters for the WRs. Kurfis made some very nice grabs and looks to be the 'new' Drwal. Soph Parris got a lot of time.

The QBs will continue to battle. No one showed enough to threaten Colvin's position as number one. Colvin was also elected one of the team captains, so that will make it even tougher for any of the other four to replace. Bialkowski seems to throw a purer pass, but erratic. Poutier seems to be the most accurate, but is somewhat short (listed at 6'--but could be generous). Colvin also provides a nice run option.McHale's mechanics are too slow. Visconti--rising soph. has potential.

Sherman looked strong and rising soph Sodeke looked strong and junior Haupt opened some eyes with some nice runs. Barket kept out due to last year's broken ankle. He will likely be the starter, but nice to see the depth. Barket also received the annual Jim Gum Scholarship

Soph RT Moore got a lot of time and looked like he could be a force in the future.
Long snapping duties looked to be in very capable hands with Ruley. However the P/K situation is basically unchanged. Divers seems to have strengthened his leg, as has Peery. But consistency is still an issue. More competition on the way with Freshman Austin Devine from Bergen Catholic.

Defense looked good. Especially the secondary. Gabe Johnson had two picks for TDs. All four look very strong and I see an aggressive, confident streak. LBs are young but showed good quickness. Muhammad's name called a number of times. NT Chagani is also going to be a force. Very strong. Also one of the defensive captains.

Other Captains are Spadola on offense and Safety O'Brien on defense. Nice crowd on a warm cloudy day at Goodman. The field looked great.

Engineer86
April 21st, 2012, 08:08 PM
I was there until 1115, but I thought Colvin looked awful. The 2nd pick was right to the LB on a forced screen pass. The 3rd (pick six) was into triple coverage. Soto had a bad day at WR as well. My positives were; Bryant transfer, Hill at safety was impressive, O line was impressive on several runs early, despite many missing starters. It sounds like the Offense came back after I left, but other than Poutier (who I agree may be too short) I thought the QB play was extremely week. They have August to straighten it out.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 22nd, 2012, 02:15 AM
I watched a little bit of the game and the offense did look pretty bad. However, given the number of starters out it's tough to gauge how much concern there should be.

Overall, the team is loaded with talent, especially on defense. The LB core will once again be terrific and the Dline looked bigger than I anticipated.

IMO, Colvin needs to change his number. Watching him play reminds me too much of Tebow.

I'm hoping that by facing Lehigh's secondary in practice he'll be prepared for the season. This is easily the best group the Hawks have had in the last 10 years.

RichH2
April 22nd, 2012, 10:49 AM
Cody very impressive.Colvin a slow starter.Some reason takes him a while to get up to game speed. he was same even with wildcat last season. poutier maybe 5'11 . Quick and accurate.At our level dont think Hgt that big a deal. BB better arm and agile. Will be a battle. D looks solid and I agree much bigger. Wgt training evident. We will need D to step up big time next year.First time I can recall Andy publicly telling kids to stay for the summer. Kurfis looks like able to move into starting WR.

ngineer
April 22nd, 2012, 11:25 AM
No question Colvin struggled in the beginning, but I thought he settled down at the day went on. I don't see that anyone separated themselves from the pack. If that continues, then I think we'll see Colvin start, but could be on a relatively short leash since the backups have their own talents. I also agree this could be a better D. With such an experienced secondary and mobile LBs there will be greater confidence in blitzing. Overall, not a bad day. No one got hurt, as in past years.