PDA

View Full Version : Coaches discuss allowing spring scrimmages against other teams.

Bull_In_Exile
April 20th, 2012, 09:03 AM
http://www.ubbullrun.com/2012/4/20/2962208/talking-bull-making-spring-games-better

Looks like my dream might come true and we can do away with meaningless spring games, and perhaps, sneak in more time against our rival SUNY schools (Albany, Stony Brook)

Smitty
April 20th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I think you would get a better picture of where your team is if that is allowed.

Bull_In_Exile
April 20th, 2012, 09:06 AM
And, let's face it, spring games in division one (FCS and FBS) are pretty bland... I am a die hard and I find it at times tedious to watch...

danefan
April 20th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I would love to see this. The NFL does controlled scrimmages and inter-squad practices all the time in addition to the pre-season games.

It would be great for development of the players, especially the ability to do position specific drills against guys from other teams.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 20th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I'd love to see it.

Professor Chaos
April 20th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Judging from the way they've performed this spring, I'm sure the Bison offense would love to go against someone else's defense instead.

Wildcat80
April 21st, 2012, 05:11 AM
Maybe......but does it then take away from the primary purpose of spring to teach & improve fundamentals? You know teams would then gameplan, and get starters ready to play, and then deal with logistics, and rainy spring weather etc. Injuries in a meaningless game would be huge. Judging from some high school scrimmages tempers flare, fights breakout, coaches & fans go full speed in everything to win......it would change the entire tone from a relaxed, fun end to spring to a win or lose intense competition. Not sure that is better.

Brad82
April 21st, 2012, 08:24 AM
Does anyone know the specific rule preventing this (right now)?

ngineer
April 21st, 2012, 07:37 PM
Maybe......but does it then take away from the primary purpose of spring to teach & improve fundamentals? You know teams would then gameplan, and get starters ready to play, and then deal with logistics, and rainy spring weather etc. Injuries in a meaningless game would be huge. Judging from some high school scrimmages tempers flare, fights breakout, coaches & fans go full speed in everything to win......it would change the entire tone from a relaxed, fun end to spring to a win or lose intense competition. Not sure that is better.

I agree. While it is something WE would like to see, it would take away from what the purpose of spring ball is. Not everything we do has to end up 'winning or losing'. This is about learning. Both for the students and for the coaches.

danefan
April 21st, 2012, 07:49 PM
I agree. While it is something WE would like to see, it would take away from what the purpose of spring ball is. Not everything we do has to end up 'winning or losing'. This is about learning. Both for the students and for the coaches.

I would prefer joint practices as opposed to a full blown scrimmage. The NFL does this in addition to preseason games.