PDA

View Full Version : Southland conf

Demondestroyer
June 15th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Does anyone know how Northwestern state will be this year. Heard it will be better than the last not with all those d-1 opponents though. Please respond

golionsgo
June 15th, 2006, 03:18 AM
Does anyone know how Northwestern state will be this year. Heard it will be better than the last not with all those d-1 opponents though. Please respond

I'm sure they'll be formidable as always once conference play starts. I look for a wacky year in the Southland. Anybody can beat anybody.

TexasTerror
June 15th, 2006, 05:43 AM

That out of conference is grueling...

NW ST is a tough out for anyone, home or road in the SLC. Good news is NW ST has SHSU, TxSt and McNeese at home. I'd say those teams represent most of the top of the SLC. SHSU lost 10-6 to NW ST at home last year in a game that should've gone SHSU's way without question...

SFA on the road is beatable for NW ST and SELA, while being the SLC spoiler, is a game that can be won. Still interested to see what Nicholls St has this year...

Freightliner
June 15th, 2006, 06:53 AM
The key for Northwester'ns season is how healthy they are after those 3 I-A games.

If they are healthy...with the conference games they have at home (as TT mentioned) they can be a force to be reckoned with.

Not healthy? Then it will be a LONG season for the Demons.

GeauxColonels
June 15th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Still interested to see what Nicholls St has this year...
Even though we lost our starting QB, the coaches have been pretty good about recruiting and coaching QBs that fit the system. Since we don't pass too much, there isn't much of a learning curve for the QBs in that department. They can focus on how to run the triple-option. I have no doubt that Nicholls will once again lead the SLC in rushing offense this year as they have in the past few years. I think the question mark will be on the defensive side of the ball.

Demon Fan
June 15th, 2006, 11:05 AM

With a "handle" like Demondestroyer, I'm not sure just how much information to let slip to you.

Defense will be sound.

Offense a huge question mark. Especially at QB.

golionsgo
June 15th, 2006, 11:42 AM
SFA on the road is beatable for NW ST and SELA, while being the SLC spoiler, is a game that can be won.

We have question marks like everyone else but potential is there to be more than a spoiler. Especially in a league without a dominant team.

Frosty The Snowbuff
June 15th, 2006, 01:22 PM
With a "handle" like Demondestroyer, I'm not sure just how much information to let slip to you.

Defense will be sound.

Offense a huge question mark. Especially at QB.

I don't know what to think now...We've been projected everywhere from finishing 2nd to 4th in the Southland.

Health and depth along the O-line are our issues as well as the QB (as U mentioned, the early schedule won't help by da way). Defense will be close to Purple Swarm standards though. Running game depends on the O-Line, but I expect it to be decent also.

Now if only we can find an efficient passing game :rolleyes: .

TexasTerror
June 15th, 2006, 05:36 PM
We have question marks like everyone else but potential is there to be more than a spoiler. Especially in a league without a dominant team.

Until the Lions step up a notch, they're always going to be the spoiler. In fact, they are the yearly 'darkhorse'. I hope the Lions step it up this season. Being so close to Hammond as I am, I wouldn't mind going to see a I-AA playoff game at Strawberry Stadium. You'd save me a seat now, wouldn't you golionsgo? :)

GeauxLions94
June 15th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Until the Lions step up a notch, they're always going to be the spoiler. In fact, they are the yearly 'darkhorse'. I hope the Lions step it up this season. Being so close to Hammond as I am, I wouldn't mind going to see a I-AA playoff game at Strawberry Stadium. You'd save me a seat now, wouldn't you golionsgo? :)

I'd save you a seat TT, but you'd have to fight off Mrs. GL94 and GL94, Jr. :nono: ;)

golionsgo
June 15th, 2006, 09:31 PM

Hard to say we're the "yearly darkhorse" when this is only our second year in the league and 4th overall since reinstatement.

PantherRob82
June 15th, 2006, 11:55 PM
The SLC is always the hard one for me to pick. seems like every few years there is a changing of the guard. Seems like just yesterday that McNeese St And SFA ran the conference.

kats89
June 16th, 2006, 09:04 AM
I can't think of a time when SFA ran the conference.xlolx

Over the last several years, the conference has been very balanced from top to bottom. It is definitely a black and blue conference. Everyone is beating up on each other. The best hope you have in winning conference is if you are able to pick up a conference win or two on the road. SLC is definitely a tough one to pick year in and year out.:twocents: xcoffeex

McNeeserocket
June 16th, 2006, 05:55 PM
The SLC is always the hard one for me to pick. seems like every few years there is a changing of the guard. Seems like just yesterday that McNeese St And SFA ran the conference.

2006 could very well be the year that echoes what Karen Carpenter (of The Carpenters) used to sing: It's Yesterday Once More.

TexasTerror
June 16th, 2006, 07:44 PM
2006 could very well be the year that echoes what Karen Carpenter (of The Carpenters) used to sing: It's Yesterday Once More.

Not if "SFA ran the conference"...they may "run out of it" the way things have been going in Nacogodoches...rivalries aside, we kicked their butt, big time in a bad year...the biggest whooping in the history of the 'Battle of the Piney Woods' by either team...

McNeese75
June 16th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Not if "SFA ran the conference"...they may "run out of it" the way things have been going in Nacogodoches...rivalries aside, we kicked their butt, big time in a bad year...the biggest whooping in the history of the 'Battle of the Piney Woods' by either team...

:D Rocket ain't talkin about no Lumberjacks here:eek:

Lumberjack85
June 16th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Sometimes it's hard to listen to "Bearkat dribble"... I mean I had toddler's about 15 years ago but know that Sam has a couple of good years together they get pretty "uptitty". Well it won't take long to quell that. I have to admit that I have looked at "Wednesday's with Williams and almost "thrown up" " We'll good luck ... new look Bearkats well just see this year....

PantherRob82
June 16th, 2006, 10:25 PM
When I was younger I knew of 2 Southland teams McNesse St and SFA. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention to the conference, but I know who I saw in the rankings. Maybe the other names just don't seem as familiar from my childhood, and now they're a blur because I know plenty about all of them thanks to the internet. ;)

TexasTerror
June 17th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Sometimes it's hard to listen to "Bearkat dribble"... I mean I had toddler's about 15 years ago but know that Sam has a couple of good years together they get pretty "uptitty". Well it won't take long to quell that. I have to admit that I have looked at "Wednesday's with Williams and almost "thrown up" " We'll good luck ... new look Bearkats well just see this year....

The awful Bearkats slammed the lousy Lumberjacks last year...

In a good year, we beat you. In a bad year, we beat you fellas...

SFA has fallen on hard times. Would love if we had a Battle of the Piney Woods for something more than bragging. I'd love if you had two ranked teams like we used to have...

If Ryan Rossner missed that 50+ yard FG prayer a few years ago (when the Kats finished 2-9), we'd be 6-0 against SFA since 2000. Heck, I'll take 5-1 in a six year span over any SLC foe since it's so tough in this conference.

"Bearkat Dribble" or not...4-7, 3-7 or 11-3, the Kats rule this battle as of late. Losing five out of six to your archrival is not a good thing at all, regardless of how close some of the battles were. McFarland needs to watch out because the Kats will be ready in Nacogdoches, just like they were in Huntsville when they put the biggest spanking on the Jacks during the 80+ year rivalry!

McNeese75
June 17th, 2006, 09:54 AM
For what its worth, I am more concerned about our game at SFA this year than SHSU :rotateh:

TexasTerror
June 17th, 2006, 10:41 AM
For what its worth, I am more concerned about our game at SFA this year than SHSU :rotateh:

Winning at SFA is rough, but manageable...

SHSU always has problems with Cowboys, whether in Lake Charles or Huntsville. McNeese is to Sam Houston what Sam Houston is to SFA, since 2000...

kats89
June 18th, 2006, 09:33 AM

xlolx xlolx :xcoffeex

SFA losing to SHSU over the years has been the catalyst for you looking for a head coach over the years. Pierce and Santiago got spanked on a regular basis by SHSU. Could McFarland be next? He has one loss already.

Frosty The Snowbuff
June 18th, 2006, 12:54 PM
xlolx xlolx :xcoffeex

SFA losing to SHSU over the years has been the catalyst for you looking for a head coach over the years. Pierce and Santiago got spanked on a regular basis by SHSU. Could McFarland be next? He has one loss already.

Awwwwwww man....and I though Northwestern State winning 7 of the Past 10 against the Jacks had something to do with those firings???:D

I'm kinda curious as to how the new coach will fare against us once he gets his personnel in place.

kats89
June 18th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Awwwwwww man....and I though Northwestern State winning 7 of the Past 10 against the Jacks had something to do with those firings???:D

I'm kinda curious as to how the new coach will fare against us once he gets his personnel in place.

I just said that it was the catalyst. I am sure those losses added to it as well.