View Full Version : Phil Steele FCS Magazine

Gringer1
April 16th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Will Mr. Steele be producing and FCS magazine this year?

LakesBison
April 16th, 2012, 11:08 AM
hope so, i bought it last year and he sent me a letter begging me to do so and that "it'll be pertinent to me continuing for next year"

RichH2
April 16th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I still read it now. I hope he will put one out.Hell,I'll buy 3 of them if it will help. An awesome production.

bluehenbillk
April 16th, 2012, 12:54 PM
He better. I know where he lives.

49RFootballNow
April 16th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I believe Ursus said a few months back that he lost a lot of money making these last year (no one bought them). If that's the case, it would be surprising if he made them for this year.

NHwildEcat
April 16th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I believe Ursus said a few months back that he lost a lot of money making these last year (no one bought them). If that's the case, it would be surprising if he made them for this year.

Maybe he should do a pre-order thus only making enough copies for those intending to purchase.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 16th, 2012, 03:55 PM

That may have been someone else but from what I remember they were fairly happy with what they got for a response from the initial run. Haven't heard anything since last August on it though so it may have changed since then.

smallcollegefbfan
April 16th, 2012, 04:35 PM
They plan to do one I'm told. They are working on player ratings and finalizing the FBS mag now and will work on FCS here soon.

UMaineD
April 16th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I bought one last year I hope there is one for this year as well

bojeta
April 16th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I bought one as well, and would do so again if he prints it.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 16th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I sent an email to Rolf to see what the status would be and if they will have a pre-order this year. I'll let ya know when I get anything back from them.

He's a member here so maybe he'll just see this and give some details anyway.

dbackjon
April 16th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks Brother Bear

Ivytalk
April 16th, 2012, 09:55 PM
There's no other FCS source quite like it. Keeping my fingers crossed!

LakesBison
April 16th, 2012, 10:17 PM
just put every ndsu player #1 and get it to the printer !
They plan to do one I'm told. They are working on player ratings and finalizing the FBS mag now and will work on FCS here soon.

RichH2
April 17th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks ursus. I'll light a candle for a YES answer.

BEAR
April 17th, 2012, 10:22 AM
just put every ndsu player #1 and get it to the printer !

xgiveadamnx

Gringer1
April 23rd, 2012, 06:58 PM
Any updates?

ursus arctos horribilis
April 23rd, 2012, 07:36 PM
Any updates?

I've gotten no reply yet. Don't know what's up but will send one more email.

McNeese75
April 23rd, 2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks Brother Bear xeekx

ursus arctos horribilis
April 24th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Got a message back this morning. Phil is not positive at this point but Rolf says it's about a 90% chance. They are focused on the FBS until the first week in May so there will be no news until that point as to a decision on it.

We need to get proactive with this with our local schools. I called UM Bookstore last year to inquire about their carrying the FCS magazine...they were completely unaware. If we organized a little bit I think we could get the word out a bit to University bookstores and ask them to carry the thing this year and even get an amount they would want to order..

Gringer1
April 24th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Got a message back this morning. Phil is not positive at this point but Rolf says it's about a 90% chance. They are focused on the FBS until the first week in May so there will be no news until that point as to a decision on it.

We need to get proactive with this with our local schools. I called UM Bookstore last year to inquire about their carrying the FCS magazine...they were completely unaware. If we organized a little bit I think we could get the word out a bit to University bookstores and ask them to carry the thing this year and even get an amount they would want to order..

Let's get this thing going. Call/email your school's bookstore and ask them to stock the magazine. Ask your athletics department if they would order some to give to employees and to sell at events. This is free publicity and we can't let it slide away.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 24th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Let's get this thing going. Call/email your school's bookstore and ask them to stock the magazine. Ask your athletics department if they would order some to give to employees and to sell at events. This is free publicity and we can't let it slide away.

I like it, but I think we can be even more organized with this. What if we had something like conference reps/team reps that could get this information out on their team boards and post the information of who to get in contact with at that individual teams bookstore & Athletic Dpt.?

I'm not talking aobut badgering people or anything just a nice individual email to let those that have the power to order know that it would be a good thing to carry.

These sorts of things don't come up often but it would be alright with me to start a board for some reps to toss around ideas if anyone would be interested. I know it worked out last year for the Montana schools and the playoffs because people got together and made some noise on what they wanted.

Good idea....worthless idea...any thoughts on it?

bojeta
April 25th, 2012, 12:41 AM
I like your idea. Everyone gets bombarded these days with emails and tend to filter them out. A coordinated, streamlined approach is more likely to get somewhere.

Gringer1
April 25th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Let the coordination begin!

RichH2
April 25th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Goodidea. oard reps can PM everyoneon Board.May be overlapping but better too much rather than too little

ngineer
April 25th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Why doesn't Mr. Steele market the magazine to the schools? In today's electronic communication, is that so difficult? Either that or maybe he has already approached many and been rebuffed?

bojeta
April 25th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Why doesn't Mr. Steele market the magazine to the schools? In today's electronic communication, is that so difficult? Either that or maybe he has already approached many and been rebuffed?

That may be the case which would make our efforts more important. There are so many products out there, retailers are tired of the endless sales pitches. Since the end customers appear to have more knowledge than the retailer in this case, I think we can help Steele through a Pull Marketing strategy. The buyers would be asking for the bookstore to carry the product and that seems to be the emerging trend. If we can get more copies on campuses and into the hands of more on-campus students, who knows?? We might even have a positive impact on attendance. I have no idea how we would go about measuring that, but it's an interesting angle to consider.

ngineer
April 26th, 2012, 07:48 PM
That may be the case which would make our efforts more important. There are so many products out there, retailers are tired of the endless sales pitches. Since the end customers appear to have more knowledge than the retailer in this case, I think we can help Steele through a Pull Marketing strategy. The buyers would be asking for the bookstore to carry the product and that seems to be the emerging trend. If we can get more copies on campuses and into the hands of more on-campus students, who knows?? We might even have a positive impact on attendance. I have no idea how we would go about measuring that, but it's an interesting angle to consider.

OK--but if we're to "lean on" our local bookstores to carry, we need some 'contact information' to pass along to them?

coover
April 29th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Go to http://philsteele.com It is a bit slow, but if you wait for it, you will find that they are taking orders for the magazine. They promise it will be out June 7 or earlier, $8.95 at the newstand, $14.25 mail order.

Hopefully, it will have lots and lots of FCS information.

And, of course, you can tell them you got the information from AnyGivenSaturday, a hint that FCS is important.

Gringer1
April 29th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I see the regular college football magazine, but nothing about FCS.

ngineer
April 29th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Yes, I don't see a separate link or banner for the FCS preview magazine. The only banner refers to "College Preview" but it is FBS.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
April 30th, 2012, 06:57 AM
I agree with Ursus - getting these in college bookstores is the way to go. Students and alumni both will jump at the chance to buy these IMO. Many people just are unaware of such publications. Where better to sell them than at the schools themselves?

I bought one last year, didn't read it too much, but that was mainly due to a crazy personal life. What i did flip through impressed me a lot. I hope they continue publishing it. I would buy again in a heartbeat.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
April 30th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Another angle is as a gift to donors. JMU always has little things, many of them corny items, like a JMU stadium replica (was nice, but not great quality), that they include to donors giving 110% from last year's donation. Including the magazine as an incentive item for donations would be a cool add-on I think. It's not 100% of your school, but for football season ticket holders it makes a lot of sense.

bluehenbillk
May 15th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Go to http://philsteele.com It is a bit slow, but if you wait for it, you will find that they are taking orders for the magazine. They promise it will be out June 7 or earlier, $8.95 at the newstand, $14.25 mail order.

Hopefully, it will have lots and lots of FCS information.

And, of course, you can tell them you got the information from AnyGivenSaturday, a hint that FCS is important.

I called them today - yes, it will be $14.25. I can't imagine it'd be out around that date though - that's about the time for the FBS preview. I'd think July would be more accurate.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 15th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I called them today - yes, it will be $14.25. I can't imagine it'd be out around that date though - that's about the time for the FBS preview. I'd think July would be more accurate.

True, in an email Rolf had said that they were finishing the FBS last Friday and would begin working on FCS after that was completed. On top of that it was early July last year I think.

RichH2
May 15th, 2012, 03:17 PM
If I recall got mine in July mid month.

Titan12
May 17th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Just ordered the FCS magazine by phone on Phil Steele Website.

dbackjon
May 18th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Just ordered the FCS magazine by phone on Phil Steele Website.

Me too!

ursus arctos horribilis
May 18th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Me too!

Got an email from Rolf this morning. The will take orders in that fashion but they won't be doing anything as far as getting it together and setting up new links for ordering and so forth until around mid June it looks like.

dbackjon
May 18th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Got an email from Rolf this morning. The will take orders in that fashion but they won't be doing anything as far as getting it together and setting up new links for ordering and so forth until around mid June it looks like.

Yeah - I asked about links - they said they would put it up once they firmed up delivery date.

GSUhooligan
June 19th, 2012, 03:41 PM
They'll be out in early August, only through Phil (not in stores). Go to his site https://www.philsteele.com/store/ It is the 3rd item in the list.

seantaylor
June 19th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Will it be available in iTunes store?

BisonBacker
June 20th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Just ordered mine today. Looking forward to reading it as I didn't know it was available last year so I missed out. Hopefully more folks support this and make it worthwhile for them to continue producing it.

bleedblue
June 20th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I'm in. Just ordered all three.

bojeta
June 20th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I'm in. Just ordered all three.

Hi. Did you get an email verification of your order? I placed the order, hit submit and nothing.

UPDATE: Just got an email from Phil Steele Pub. Apparently my online order did not go through. If your online attempt fails, you can call them at 1-866-918-7711.

SDFS
June 20th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Got 2 on order.. no problems with the site.

AtlantaMountaineer
June 20th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I tried to order one earlier today. Put in the info, hit the submit button, waited, waited, waited. Nothing.

ngineer
June 20th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Hi. Did you get an email verification of your order? I placed the order, hit submit and nothing.

UPDATE: Just got an email from Phil Steele Pub. Apparently my online order did not go through. If your online attempt fails, you can call them at 1-866-918-7711.

I couldn't find the FCS mag on the website, so I called the number and ordered that way.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2012, 01:09 PM
hey, I got an update from Rolf @ PSM on the order issue. He sent an email with some good info. in case any of you guys are having trouble ordering. Pass this around if you see anyone else having the same trouble please.

[email protected] is always the best way. She let the company know there were some issues but haven't found anything wrong.

Email her if you are having the PSM site lock up on ya.

TheDancinMonarch
June 21st, 2012, 02:14 PM
On-line order apparently successful. Time will tell.

Humble Steward
June 21st, 2012, 02:32 PM
Just ordered mine. I looking forward to reading his reviews.

UNDColorado
June 21st, 2012, 03:07 PM
I ordered mine the other day. Last year I ordered it for the first time and I was really impressed because it is hard to find that kind of coverage for FCS.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2012, 03:25 PM
I ordered mine the other day. Last year I ordered it for the first time and I was really impressed because it is hard to find that kind of coverage for FCS.

Exactly. Try and pass the word around to anyone that would be interested in this cuz we won't have it long if it doesn't sell. This is only it's second year.

TheRevSFA
June 21st, 2012, 03:32 PM
I have it posted on the SFA fansite..we're working on a banner for it