PDA

View Full Version : Maine schedule......only 10 games?

mainejeff
June 14th, 2006, 12:51 PM
It sure looks like it :(.

The schedule and season ticket information is now posted at the UMaine website:

http://goblackbears.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/main-m-footbl-sched.html

Will this affect Maine's playoff hopes if they go 7-3? I'm guessing that it would depending on the teams that go 8-3 and what their SOS is. If Maine went 7-3, that would mean 1 of 2 things........either they would be 7-1 in the A-10 (which may or may not be good enough for the autobid and/or strong consideration from the committee for an at-large) or Maine would be 6-2 or 5-3 in the A-10, but would have a win(s) over Youngstown and/or BC (wishful thinking). Either way, at least the schedule is strong enough to be considered if they went 7-3. Too bad about the lost revenue though.......probably at least 50K.

PapaBear
June 14th, 2006, 01:02 PM
It sure looks like it :(.

The schedule and season ticket information is now posted at the UMaine website:

http://goblackbears.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/main-m-footbl-sched.html

Will this affect Maine's playoff hopes if they go 7-3? I'm guessing that it would depending on the teams that go 8-3 and what their SOS is. If Maine went 7-3, that would mean 1 of 2 things........either they would be 7-1 in the A-10 (which may or may not be good enough for the autobid and/or strong consideration from the committee for an at-large) or Maine would be 6-2 or 5-3 in the A-10, but would have a win(s) over Youngstown and/or BC (wishful thinking). Either way, at least the schedule is strong enough to be considered if they went 7-3. Too bad about the lost revenue though.......probably at least 50K.

OK ... from the broken record department ... Maine still is looking for #11. Obviously a 9/2 game is a pipe dream. But I hear they may have some options for 9/23.

Operative word, "may."

mainejeff
June 14th, 2006, 02:27 PM
OK ... from the broken record department ... Maine still is looking for #11. Obviously a 9/2 game is a pipe dream. But I hear they may have some options for 9/23.

Operative word, "may."

Are they waiting for hurricane cancellations :confused:.

GannonFan
June 14th, 2006, 02:33 PM
And somehow we're to believe that Maine's salvation is an America East football conference where the number of conference games could be less than the 8 they have now in the A10/CAA? If the same genuises are in charge of scheduling then it's possible that Maine could look back on 10 game seasons with nostalgia. :p

mainejeff
June 14th, 2006, 02:42 PM
And somehow we're to believe that Maine's salvation is an America East football conference where the number of conference games could be less than the 8 they have now in the A10/CAA? If the same genuises are in charge of scheduling then it's possible that Maine could look back on 10 game seasons with nostalgia. :p

I doubt that scheduling will take place 3-6 months before the start of a season. Hopefully a lesson learned........:cool:.

henfan
June 14th, 2006, 03:24 PM
This isn't the first time UMaine's had trouble completing its football schedule for an upcoming season and they only had to schedule 3 noncon games. Can you imagine being the AD in Orono trying to complete a 5 or 6 game nonconference schedule? Whew.

mainejeff
June 14th, 2006, 04:01 PM
This isn't the first time UMaine's had trouble completing its football schedule for an upcoming season and they only had to schedule 3 noncon games. Can you imagine being the AD in Orono trying to complete a 5 or 6 game nonconference schedule? Whew.

Yeah, I can. This is a specific situation in a specific season......hopefully, the ineptitude isn't repeated.

Yeah, Mississippi State, Nebraska, BC, Montana, McNeese State, Colgate, Northern Colorado, Florida International, Albany, Youngstown State.......please provide specifics on when Maine has had this "problem" in the past?

carney2
June 15th, 2006, 10:34 AM
This isn't the first time UMaine's had trouble completing its football schedule

Yet further proof that although Maine is not trying to get out of the A-10, the A-10 is certainly trying to get out of Maine. If this comment seems a little DISTANT and COLD, well...

mainejeff
June 15th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Yet further proof that although Maine is not trying to get out of the A-10, the A-10 is certainly trying to get out of Maine. If this comment seems a little DISTANT and COLD, well...

With still no proof to support it.......I'd say that Maine wants America East Football more than the A-10 (CAA) wants out of Maine. That vitriol comes from Delaware, JMU, and W&M fans.

bluehenbillk
June 15th, 2006, 12:59 PM
That's a joke that Maine only has 10 games, I feel sorry for their fans. It will hurt their playoff shot probably too, as it's not like they had a game postponed b/c of a hurricane but rather ineptitude. They'll have to go 8-2 to get in.

mainejeff
June 15th, 2006, 01:20 PM
That's a joke that Maine only has 10 games, I feel sorry for their fans. It will hurt their playoff shot probably too, as it's not like they had a game postponed b/c of a hurricane but rather ineptitude. They'll have to go 8-2 to get in.

Really? What if the go 7-3 with a 7-1 record in the A-10? Or what about a 6-2 A-10 record with a win over Youngstown or BC?

bluehenbillk
June 15th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Oh, so you're going to beat BC? I stand corrected if you go 7-1 in the A-10 you'll get the auto-bid so hope for that.

mainejeff
June 15th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Oh, so you're going to beat BC? I stand corrected if you go 7-1 in the A-10 you'll get the auto-bid so hope for that.

But not 6-2 in the A-10 with a win over Youngstown (if they are a Top 25 team)?

ccd494
June 15th, 2006, 04:38 PM
This is less on the Maine athletic department and more on the Lock Haven and Southern Illinois departments. Maine and LHU were all set until they took more money from SIU. These things happen.

GannonFan
June 16th, 2006, 08:20 AM
This is less on the Maine athletic department and more on the Lock Haven and Southern Illinois departments. Maine and LHU were all set until they took more money from SIU. These things happen.

Sure those things happen all the time, but when was the last time you saw a program of Maine's stature not be able to find an 11th game after something like this happens? That's the odd part about this, not that Maine lost a game because a school went somewhere else for more money.

ccd494
June 20th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Sure those things happen all the time, but when was the last time you saw a program of Maine's stature not be able to find an 11th game after something like this happens? That's the odd part about this, not that Maine lost a game because a school went somewhere else for more money.

Maine has added D-II Shaw University of the CIAA on 9/23 in Orono.

I bet what the hold up was was that Maine was really looking to fill the 9/2 date, but no one was available.

Tod
June 20th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Maine has added D-II Shaw University of the CIAA on 9/23 in Orono.

I bet what the hold up was was that Maine was really looking to fill the 9/2 date, but no one was available.

Hey, you got 11 games, that's the important thing. Nobody wants to have the first week off, but it's much better than 10 games. Good for Maine, one of my second favorite teams! :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

mainejeff
June 20th, 2006, 06:29 PM
All I can say is.....phew! Not the worst opponent for scheduling so late. I agree Tod......it was just important to get that 11th game (would have been a 50K hit to the athletic dept. if they had stayed at 10 games).

Husky Alum
June 20th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Really? What if the go 7-3 with a 7-1 record in the A-10? Or what about a 6-2 A-10 record with a win over Youngstown or BC?

Jeffie, if you guys beat BC, I'll come to SD and give you a big hug... then we can go eat fish tacos, deal?

Shaw University? Maine-Erehwon wasn't available, what about Presque Isle, Fort Kent, or the other usual suspects you guys play? ;)

mainejeff
June 21st, 2006, 12:37 AM
Jeffie, if you guys beat BC, I'll come to SD and give you a big hug... then we can go eat fish tacos, deal?

Shaw University? Maine-Erehwon wasn't available, what about Presque Isle, Fort Kent, or the other usual suspects you guys play? ;)

Those schools don't have football.......but I wouldn't rule out D-3 Husson College of Bangor in the future........they could become our "West Chester" ;) .

Fish tacos.......mmmmm. I actually just started eating those things even though I've been here for quite a while.

PapaBear
June 21st, 2006, 02:18 PM
Their head coach must've gotten wind of the Orono visit last week xlolx

http://www.shawbears.com/

Mr. C
June 21st, 2006, 02:53 PM
Those schools don't have football.......but I wouldn't rule out D-3 Husson College of Bangor in the future........they could become our "West Chester" ;).
When was the last time Maine played Bates?

On another subject, I was with my daughters in a thrift shop in Ventura, California last week when I discovered a rather large, stuff U of Maine black bear mascot. Last thing I would have expected to find there.

colgate13
June 21st, 2006, 03:02 PM
Good god! This looks like something Cap'n Cat would post in a smack thread, and yet, I kid you not - it is a picture of the Shaw spring game. I had to do it as an attachment so it would fit.

colgate13
June 21st, 2006, 03:04 PM
When was the last time Maine played Bates?

1964. Maine 38 Bates 7. In Orono.

mainejeff
June 21st, 2006, 05:24 PM
Good god! This looks like something Cap'n Cat would post in a smack thread, and yet, I kid you not - it is a picture of the Shaw spring game. I had to do it as an attachment so it would fit.

Still looks better than Chatty in the rainy years, URI a couple of years ago, and Delaware last season. ;)

GannonFan
June 22nd, 2006, 10:28 AM
Hey, they have winged helmets - maybe Maine's just trying to up the old winning percentage against teams with winged helmets - even with last year's win they are still woefully under .500 in that regard.

TxSt02
June 22nd, 2006, 05:07 PM
I wonder if the "Chi-Chis" will be making the trip...

http://www.shawbears.com/chichis0405.JPG