PDA

View Full Version : SOCON schedule rankings from SouthernPigskin.com

El_Cid_99
June 14th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Examining and ranking the schedules of the 1-AA Southern Conference.

1. The Citadel – Head coach Kevin Higgins and the Bulldogs will play a tougher out of conference schedule than most 1-A teams. The ‘Dogs will play on the road at Texas A&M and Pittsburgh in the month of September. Don’t totally disregard those games either. Last season, the Bulldogs led Florida State late in the second quarter. The game in College Station will be a unique pairing with the military affiliations. In conference, The Citadel will play three league heavyweights away from home: defending national champion Appalachian State, Furman and Wofford. Homecoming on November the 11th against longtime rival Virginia Military Institute will be quite the scene. The Bulldogs lead that heated series 32-30-2.

2. Appalachian State – The Mountaineers have the chance to shake things up both in the state of North Carolina and nationally in their season opener against neighboring NC State. Appalachian State was able to put forth a respectable effort against LSU (24-0 loss) in Death Valley last season; the defending champs could put a scare into a young Wolfpack team. National power James Madison will visit Boone, NC on September the 9th in what will be a clash of top ten teams and one of the premier non-conference games of the season. The Mountaineers will play two of their top three Southern Conference competitors on the road: Georgia Southern and Western Carolina. The Furman game on November the 4th, Black Saturday at Kidd Brewer Stadium, may be the SoCon Championship game.

3. Wofford – Out of conference games against South Carolina State and Coastal Carolina will provide good early season litmus tests. The Coastal Carolina game is an important regional battle; the Chanticleers are a pre-season top 20 team. The Terriers play one 1-A game, a short trip to Williams-Brice Stadium to face Steve Spurrier and the South Carolina Gamecocks. Games against Appalachian State and Georgia Southern loom on the road, though Wofford welcomes Western Carolina in what will be a key game in terms jockeying near the top of the Southern Conference standings.

4. Georgia Southern – Home games against Central Connecticut State and Coastal Carolina will be good pre-league tests for new head coach Brian VanGorder and the revamped Eagles. The October 7th game against North Dakota State will be a flat-out war and will have major implications on the national rankings. The top rivalry in the Southern Conference will return to Greenville, South Carolina this season. The Furman Paladins will be looking to avenge last year’s loss in Statesboro.

5. Furman – The Southern Conference game of the year could come on October 28th when the Paladins travel to play Appalachian State. Furman will welcome first-year head coach Brian VanGorder and Georgia Southern and Western Carolina. Out of conference the Paladins have tests against Jacksonville State and Coastal Carolina. We’re not quite sure why Furman is set to play Division II West Georgia. Keep an eye on things when the Paladins travel to face North Carolina. Furman took Pittsburgh into two overtimes in 2004 and actually beat the Tar Heels 28-3 in Chapel Hill in 1999.

6. Chattanooga – The Mocs’ must travel to the two toughest venues in the Southern Conference, Kidd Brewer Stadium in Boone, North Carolina to face Appalachian State and Paulsen Stadium in Statesboro, Georgia to play Georgia Southern. An early season road trip to Jacksonville State won’t be easy but provides the chance to get a quality win early. Games against Tennessee State and Liberty are manageable. The Mocs will travel to Memphis to face the Tigers.

7. Western Carolina – Usually when a 1-AA team plays a 1-A team the game is played in early September. The Catamounts will make a rare and somewhat baffling November trip to face the Florida Gators. The Eastern Kentucky game could be a tone setter for the remainder of the year as both squads are fringe top 25 teams. All but one of the Catamounts’ big-time conference games will be played at home in Cullowhee, North Carolina. Non-league games against Chowan and Liberty are must-wins.

8. Elon – The season opener on the road against Coastal Carolina will be a major challenge. 1-AA.org currently has the Chanticleers ranked 18th in their pre-season poll. Games against Towson, Presbyterian and North Carolina A&T are winnable. The Phoenix beat Presbyterian and NC A&T last season. Western Carolina, Wofford and Furman are come to town. This is a good schedule for a growing program trying to win games.

chattanoogamocs
June 14th, 2006, 01:00 PM
6. Chattanooga – The Mocs’ must travel to the two toughest venues in the Southern Conference, Kidd Brewer Stadium in Boone, North Carolina to face Appalachian State and Paulsen Stadium in Statesboro, Georgia to play Georgia Southern. An early season road trip to Jacksonville State won’t be easy but provides the chance to get a quality win early. Games against Tennessee State and Liberty are manageable. The Mocs will travel to Memphis to face the Tigers.

Pigskin missed on this one...the Mocs are playing Tennessee Tech and Western Kentucky, not Tennessee State and Liberty.

AppSteeler
June 14th, 2006, 01:52 PM
We also, travel to Finley to face Chatt.

colgate13
June 14th, 2006, 02:03 PM
The Citadel will play three league heavyweights away from home: defending national champion Appalachian State, Furman and Wofford.

Since when did Wofford become a heavyweight? I thought the SoCon big three were Furman, ASU and GSU?

Oh, and it's I-AA, not 1-AA.

HiHiYikas
June 14th, 2006, 02:10 PM
#2 is a bit of a shock to me. I expected us to get penalized more heavily for Gardner-Webb and Mars Hill.

I don't know that I disagree with the rankings..just surprised.

OL FU
June 14th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Since when did Wofford become a heavyweight? I thought the SoCon big three were Furman, ASU and GSU?

Where is DJ when you need him: smash : : smash : : smash : : smash : :D

chattanoogamocs
June 14th, 2006, 02:38 PM
ya know what, it just dawned at me, they erroneously used the Mocs schedule from last season.

I think if they used the correct schedule (Mocs have 7 road games...no DII's)...and the correct teams : smh : (WKU on the road is a bit different than home vs Liberty), Chattanooga would be ranked higher on the list.

Hopefully they will at least make the corrections.

SoCon48
June 14th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Must have been when they went to the semis the other year.

ehop
June 14th, 2006, 04:19 PM
GSU is also traveling to Finley to play Chattanooga as well.

TigerFan17
June 14th, 2006, 05:52 PM
8. Elon – The season opener on the road against Coastal Carolina will be a major challenge. 1-AA.org currently has the Chanticleers ranked 18th in their pre-season poll. Games against Towson, Presbyterian and North Carolina A&T are winnable. The Phoenix beat Presbyterian and NC A&T last season. Western Carolina, Wofford and Furman are come to town. This is a good schedule for a growing program trying to win games.

If we lose to Elon, we're taking a step in the wrong direction...

SoCon48
June 14th, 2006, 07:03 PM
If we lose to Elon, we're taking a step in the wrong direction...

That's what everybody says.xcoffeex

June 14th, 2006, 08:25 PM
If we lose to Elon, we're taking a step in the wrong direction...Yeah, when's the last time Towson lost to a Pete Lembo coached team (11/1/03?)? :p

walliver
June 15th, 2006, 08:26 AM

We've been on a diet lately:D

Actually, we only play well when picked to finish near the bottom of the conference. The 2002 "woofed" team was picked to finish 7th, and 2003's team was picked to finish 5th by the coaches and 4th by the media. After last year's season, in which we pretended to not know how to run the option or stop a pass, we should have everybody set up for another good run.:)

SoCon48
June 15th, 2006, 08:35 AM
We've been on a diet lately:D

Actually, we only play well when picked to finish near the bottom of the conference. The 2002 "woofed" team was picked to finish 7th, and 2003's team was picked to finish 5th by the coaches and 4th by the media. After last year's season, in which we pretended to not know how to run the option or stop a pass, we should have everybody set up for another good run.:)

Actually i was just joking. But I'm the only App that likes Wofford's stadium. My grandson had a ball there last fall. It' very family oriented.