PDA

View Full Version : How Much NCAA Revenue is Georgia State losing?

Lehigh Football Nation
April 13th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Does anyone know how much they're walking away from in order to join the Sun Belt? I've been looking for this information, but I haven't been able to verify it.

CAAHoops.com puts the number at $200,000 a year but that number seems too low.

whitey
April 13th, 2012, 11:42 AM
That number is only MMB NCAA tournament revenue so that's about right. I'm not sure, what if anything, the CAA gets from it's current regional Men's Basketball coverage on TV. Also, I'm not sure what the CAA will be earning with the new NBC Sports deal. I'm sure access to bowls (though most are money losers) and 2-3 additionally beat downs by BCS conference teams a year will easily make up for it.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 13th, 2012, 12:05 PM
That number is only MMB NCAA tournament revenue so that's about right. I'm not sure, what if anything, the CAA gets from it's current regional Men's Basketball coverage on TV. Also, I'm not sure what the CAA will be earning with the new NBC Sports deal. I'm sure access to bowls (though most are money losers) and 2-3 additionally beat downs by BCS conference teams a year will easily make up for it.

I'm thinking it's mostly just a wash, just like the exercise I went through on the other thread. Maybe in their best-case scenario, they head to the GoDaddy.com bowl and they get $750,000 from their performance, and they come out maybe $100,000-$200,000 ahead. But the 4-8 years, when they're forking over $100,000 for the privilege of, say, Troy to receive their GoDaddy.com money, not so much.

UNH Fanboi
April 13th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I hear that, in hopes of boosting attendane, Georgia St. has already shelled out a lot of money to get Waka Flocka to perform at their FBS home opener.

MplsBison
April 13th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I'm thinking it's mostly just a wash, just like the exercise I went through on the other thread. Maybe in their best-case scenario, they head to the GoDaddy.com bowl and they get $750,000 from their performance, and they come out maybe $100,000-$200,000 ahead. But the 4-8 years, when they're forking over $100,000 for the privilege of, say, Troy to receive their GoDaddy.com money, not so much.

Your numbers are bunk.

eaglewraith
April 13th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Your numbers are bunk.

Explain.

WestCoastAggie
April 13th, 2012, 07:15 PM
I hear that, in hopes of boosting attendane, Georgia St. has already shelled out a lot of money to get Waka Flocka to perform at their FBS home opener.

Might as well get T.I. and Travis Porter to perform too.

xlolx

superman7515
April 13th, 2012, 08:55 PM

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/18525240.jpg

Tuscon
April 13th, 2012, 09:10 PM

Who the F is Waka Flocka? I seriously had to look this up. Kids these days... xsmhx

NoCoDanny
April 14th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Who the F is Waka Flocka? I seriously had to look this up. Kids these days... xsmhx

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVNi3nBwm4wmsWAF6twPsG6IYP8ThaW LN75Gcut_d2eXdnnifJ

realgsu
April 14th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Well Luda did attend.... Maybe Julia Roberts will cut us a check now.

FormerPokeCenter
April 14th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Threaten to reveal that she's an alumn. Maybe she'll pay you to keep quiet about that?

Mr. C
April 14th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Your numbers are bunk.

We all know who the "bunk" one is around here.

SpeedkingATL
April 16th, 2012, 09:03 AM
If the Atlanta Falcons are able to get the funding to build the new outdoor stadium they want, I guess GaState will be able to purchase the GA Dome as their real home....shouldn't cost too much and cost could be offset with the tractor pulls and wrasslin' they could book there.

Tuscon
April 16th, 2012, 11:55 AM
If the Atlanta Falcons are able to get the funding to build the new outdoor stadium they want, I guess GaState will be able to purchase the GA Dome as their real home....shouldn't cost too much and cost could be offset with the tractor pulls and wrasslin' they could book there.

I think if the Falcons move the Dome will continue to be run by GWCC. Falcons are also just tenants in the Georgia Dome. I assume rent will go up and we will become the primary tenants, but I don't think we pony up the cash to buy the Dome outright. It's just not worth it.

realgsu
April 16th, 2012, 11:59 AM
According to the AJC, we will save 150k in travel costs by being in the Sunbelt.

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-state-sports/2012/04/16/gsu-could-save-150k-in-football-travel-in-sun-belt/?cxntfid=blogs_georgia_state_sports

bluehenbillk
April 16th, 2012, 12:53 PM
GSU will NOT end up in the red because of moving conferences, cmon people.

Tuscon
April 16th, 2012, 01:22 PM
According to the AJC, we will save 150k in travel costs by being in the Sunbelt.

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-state-sports/2012/04/16/gsu-could-save-150k-in-football-travel-in-sun-belt/?cxntfid=blogs_georgia_state_sports

Also, that $300k that we leave on the CAA table becomes $750k in the Sun Belt.