PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Liberty to Battle Div II St Paul's in Classic

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2006, 05:15 PM
A new 'Classic' for all of us to keep tabs on. It's a I-AA vs Div II games. Seems each 'Classic' that falls under this brand is a good shot at a Div II upset (considering Comegy's run at Tuskegee last year). St Paul's may just be able to pull it off against Liberty...

-----------------
Games at Liberty University and Ferrum will be designated the Western Virginia Education Classic this fall, WVEC chairman Sherman Lea said Monday.

A Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association game has been played at Victory Stadium the past six years, but the stadium is being demolished. When the cancellation of the Roanoke game was announced in April, Lea had expressed hope the WVEC could be moved to a college campus so some of the proceeds of the game could still go to Total Action Against Poverty's Project Recovery program, which tries to persuade dropouts to return to high school.

Division I-AA Liberty will host CIAA and Division II member St. Paul's at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 31. Liberty will give TAP some of the tickets to sell. Lea said TAP will probably get a percentage of the money from the tickets TAP sells. Lea said the game's corporate sponsors will continue to give money to TAP.

Ferrum's Sept. 23 home game against Shenandoah will also be called the WVEC. Lea said TAP won't get a percentage of ticket sales, but "it keeps the game alive, and that's what our corporate sponsors want."

-- Mark Berman

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/etc/wb/69291

Go...gate
June 13th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Good job by Liberty to make the game happen.

JMU Duke Dog
June 13th, 2006, 06:03 PM
I am originally from Roanoke. Victory Stadium was in awful shape. The actual championship game that the movie "Remember the Titans" is based took place in Victory Stadium. Victory Stadium also was used to host the annual VMI-VT football game back when VT was more of a military school and not too great at football. It is overdue that Roanoke began to look towards the future. If Roanoke had a good football stadium, then maybe it could be used as a neutral site for I-AA games such as a game between Appalachian State and James Madison. Roanoke is about halfway between these two schools.

Sly Fox
June 13th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Its actually an effort by our school to reach out to the community in a tangible way. Yes, this is not a stellar matchup for a season opener. But its not the end of the world to schedule one Division II school for an opener ... particularly a nearby HBCU.

And easy now about the upset talk, TT.

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Its actually an effort by our school to reach out to the community in a tangible way. Yes, this is not a stellar matchup for a season opener. But its not the end of the world to schedule one Division II school for an opener ... particularly a nearby HBCU.

And easy now about the upset talk, TT.

It's just thoughts from recent Div II vs I-AA 'Classics'...featuring HBCUs as that too...namely Tuskegee...then coached by the now current Jackson St head coach...

June 14th, 2006, 02:31 AM
It's just thoughts from recent Div II vs I-AA 'Classics'...featuring HBCUs as that too...namely Tuskegee...then coached by the now current Jackson St head coach...Turkey Day is not a new classic, right?

TexasTerror
June 14th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Turkey Day is not a new classic, right?

Not at all...but the Tuskegee wins and Comegy's run at Tuskegee are from recent games...finally getting him the job he wanted and a bigger platform to make those media-loving remarks...

HIU 93
June 14th, 2006, 07:22 AM
A new 'Classic' for all of us to keep tabs on. It's a I-AA vs Div II games. Seems each 'Classic' that falls under this brand is a good shot at a Div II upset (considering Comegy's run at Tuskegee last year). St Paul's may just be able to pull it off against Liberty...

You know, I love St. Paul's. My uncle was the president of St. Paul's many years ago. Yes, it is good publicity for SPC, but they don't have a snowball's chance in hell of beating Liberty. You can't compare SPC and Tuskegee just because they are HBCUs. TU is a traditional football power, and SPC hasn't had football in about 15-20 years. When they had football, they weren't exactly a power. They are just returning to the field. It is going to be a while before SPC can even be competitive in the CIAA, let alone compete against I-AA opponents evenly.

SU Jag
June 15th, 2006, 04:59 PM
NC Central beat NC A&T in the Aggie/Eagle Classic last year!

IaaScribe
June 15th, 2006, 07:15 PM
This will be St. Paul's second or third year back in the football game, and with all of the positive momentum with the coaching change at Liberty, I just don't see an upset in this one. Honestly, as bad as LU was last year, they weren't that far away from being a .500 team. They lost all four conference games by a combined 15 points and blew a 10-point lead in the fourth against Chattanooga in another game.

This really isn't a "new" classic, per se. It was played in Roanoke last year but Victory Stadium is in such horrendous shape that they had to move the game. Liberty is interested in continuing to host this game in the future, even if LU isn't involved.