PDA

View Full Version : Southern Conference Football Spring Rankings

Apphole
April 9th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Appalachian Looks to Reclaim Crown

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/108/854/Blairvs.Chatt_display_image.jpg?1333845248

1. Appalachian State -- Appalachian State had something happen to it last season, which hadn't been commonplace—at least since October of 2004 in Statesboro—the Mountaineers were knocked from their lofty mountain abode atop the SoCon standings.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1136564-southern-conference-football-spring-rankings

WH49er
April 9th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Hahaha bleacher report

Apphole
April 9th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Hahaha bleacher report

Not too many Spring previews on FCS ball. Where is Cee projected to finish next year?

WH49er
April 9th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Not too many Spring previews on FCS ball. Where is Cee projected to finish next year?

http://www.bing.com/Dictionary/search?q=define+deflect&qpvt=deflect&FORM=DTPDIA

The issue at hand is whether the writers at Bleacher Report are even credible. The answer is no. Charlotte 49ers football has nothing to do with this.

I wouldn't be surprised if you wrote that article. xsmileyclapx

Apphole
April 9th, 2012, 02:55 PM
http://www.bing.com/Dictionary/search?q=define+deflect&qpvt=deflect&FORM=DTPDIA

The issue at hand is whether the writers at Bleacher Report are even credible. The answer is no. Charlotte 49ers football has nothing to do with this.

I wouldn't be surprised if you wrote that article. xsmileyclapx

If not for my first sentence, you would be correct...

Run along now. This thread was created for those with a team/conference to discuss an actual impending season. Aren't you sullying enough threads with your delusions and trolling?

WH49er
April 9th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Keep trying. FYI, the article was written by an App State. xthumbsupx

asumike83
April 9th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Guy who wrote it is an App fan but overall, I thought he was pretty fair in his assessment of our team. The SoCon is really going to be up for grabs this year, will be a very interesting season. Can't say I disagree with him placing Furman/Wofford in the 4/5 spots but at the same time, I wouldn't be totally surprised to see one or both of them compete for the title.

chattownmocs
April 9th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Read the article, if everything he said was true it doesn't equal Socon preseason favorite. Just another App State homer article.

Their offense doesn't appear to have a whole lot going for it other than they got their old OC back, their defense was good last year and should be a little better this year but there is absolutely nothing to back up his claim of their defense being the best theyv'e had.

Apphole
April 9th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Guy who wrote it is an App fan but overall, I thought he was pretty fair in his assessment of our team. The SoCon is really going to be up for grabs this year, will be a very interesting season. Can't say I disagree with him placing Furman/Wofford in the 4/5 spots but at the same time, I wouldn't be totally surprised to see one or both of them compete for the title.

Hey now. No football talk allowed. UNCC is officially on the scene, thus, we are only allowed to flame bait and smack talk in light of the impending greatness of the sleeping juggernaut that has no team to actually speak of.

Seriously though, I agree. Great assessment of the team. I was honestly surprised that he would put us at #1 after reading all the negativity about who we've lost to graduation/scandal.

asumike83
April 9th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Seriously though, I agree. Great assessment of the team. I was honestly surprised that he would put us at #1 after reading all the negativity about who we've lost to graduation/scandal.

Me too. Hard not to pick GA Southern until someone proves otherwise.

WH49er
April 9th, 2012, 03:13 PM

Even if you are the biggest App fan in the world how do you not go with Georgia Southern at 1? App will compete but with all of the coaching turnover, I think it may take a season or two to get back to when they where at the top.

1. Ga So
2. Furman
3. App
4. Chatt
5. Wofford

Saint3333
April 9th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Even if you are the biggest App fan in the world how do you not go with Georgia Southern at 1? App will compete but with all of the coaching turnover, I think it may take a season or two to get back to when they where at the top.

1. Ga So
2. Furman
3. App
4. Chatt
5. Wofford

If ASU had not had coaching turnover I would agree with this. DT will be down as will WR, but every other position will be as strong or stronger for ASU especially Oline and RB. ASU was quite young at every position except for DT last year.

asumike83
April 9th, 2012, 03:19 PM

1. Ga So
2. Furman
3. App
4. Chatt
5. Wofford

I agree that GSU should probably be first. They are breaking in a new QB this year, which is tough to do sometimes in the triple option. Still think they're gonna be a very tough team to beat and I'd put them at #1 until proven otherwise. Having Furman and Wofford come to Boone should help us a lot. If I had to pick now, my order would be:

1) GSU
2) ASU
3) Chattanooga
4) Wofford
5) Furman
6) Elon
7) The Citadel
8) Samford
9) Western

That could certainly change between now and opening day though. Can't wait to get all the young guys in for summer ball and two a days. SoCon is going to be very deep, I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the top five teams snag the auto-bid.

Apphole
April 9th, 2012, 03:21 PM

1. Ga So
2. Furman
3. App
4. Chatt
5. Wofford

Coaching turnover is a positive aspect for App this year. Losing talent on offense is the main detriment this offseason. You must be unfamiliar with the chess-master known as Scott Satterfield. He makes SoCon D coordinators pull their hair out and contimplate suicide.

GaSo lost a TON of talent. I suspect that's why they aren't the #1 pick. A new QB will add some undeniable growing pains, no matter how athletic he is.

Furple really is the biggest question mark in my opinion.

I expect App to win the conference, but lose the head-to-head with GaSo, much like they did this year, with both teams making deep playoff runs.

mountaineer in Cane Land
April 9th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Apps defense is going to be nasty, best linebacker corp in the SC maybe the country. Two things will decide how we do in the SC, can we find quality defensive tackles, and can the offense line get their act togeather and improve... we shall see.

Apphole
April 9th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Apps defense is going to be nasty, best linebacker corp in the SC maybe the country. Two things will decide how we do in the SC, can we find quality defensive tackles, and can the offense line get their act togeather and improve... we shall see.

Kimbrough and Grier are unstoppable. They are also best friends.

chattownmocs
April 9th, 2012, 03:26 PM

You will have 4 starting LBs and your number 3 guy had 27 tackles. I wouldn't be so quick to declare yourselves the best in the country.

Apphole
April 9th, 2012, 03:27 PM
You will have 4 starting LBs and your number 3 guy had 27 tackles. I wouldn't be so quick to declare yourselves the best in the country.

Says the guy who annuals proclaims his squad the best in the country with nary a playoff win to their credit....

Hard to stand out when you have several incredible players in front of you. There were only so many starting spots last year. Plus, with such a well rounded LB corps, it's difficult for any particular player to accrue outrageous numbers. Another reason Kimbrough will eventually play of Sundays.

asumike83
April 9th, 2012, 03:27 PM

Justin Lloyd is a very good player as well. The question mark in the LB corps will be who steps in beside Kimbrough as an inside linebacker. I expect it will either be Brandon McGowan or John Law, and their development will be key. Both are very talented players that came in with a lot of hype. All things considered, one LB spot and DT are a lot less questions than most have.

asumike83
April 9th, 2012, 03:31 PM

I actually agree. If Wray were returning, I would say we have one of if not the best group of linebackers in the country. Without him, it will depend on how the youth fills that 4th spot. Lloyd has moved around between safety and linebacker and also played behind some very good players throughout his career. The stats do not give the full picture of this kid's ability, he can play.

eaglewraith
April 9th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Me too. Hard not to pick GA Southern until someone proves otherwise.

I'm not. Too many questions.

Furman is probably the safe pick honestly. I don't think they've really lost much, and they should only get better. Although unlike Florida, they won't be able to catch us offguard with a double slot formation ;)

App should be in the mix, but the jury is out on how fast the offense gets turned around. If Robinson can develop as a passer, UTC will be tough as well. Wofford is having to replace Allen at QB, and we all know how tough it is to replace a QB in the option game.

mountaineer in Cane Land
April 9th, 2012, 04:46 PM
can't wait to see the Law kid play, was a big steal for App from Cinn. Apps got alot of question marks next year, Linebacker ain't one of them.

AppMan
April 9th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Keep trying. FYI, the article was written by an App State. xthumbsupx

Can't be much of an App fan considering many of his "facts" are wrong.

"The diminutive speedster might remind some ASU fans of former speedster Terrance McCall, as he is a player similar to McCall in size and speed"
At 6-0 210 lbs McCall Miller is 3 inches shorter and 30 lbs lighter than McCall. Chip Hooks maybe, but not McCall.

"Andrew Peacock (48 rec, 564 yds, 3 TDs, 11.8 YPR in 2011) and Bobo Beathard should be the two players to watch in the passing game this fall for the Apps."
Peacock will no doubt be a go to guy, but there is no mention of 12 game starter speedster Tony Washington. Making news in Spring practice was 6' 5" Freshman Sean Price, who is a rising star at WR. Hardly any mention of Bethard who was the fourth or fifth option during Spring practice. Satterfield singled out freshman walk on Simms McElfresh as someone who was impressive at WR.

"Justin Lloyd (27 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 INT) will likely start at OLB."
Lloyd graduated in December.

asumike83
April 9th, 2012, 05:54 PM
"Justin Lloyd (27 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 INT) will likely start at OLB."
Lloyd graduated in December.

Well sh**... I could have sworn he was a redshirt senior. Without Wray, our depth at LB may be a bit of an issue. I'd imagine McGowan and Law will battle out the spot on the inside and Rizor will see action as an DE/OLB. With Kimbrough and Grier set as starters, Robinson and Blair will probably man the edges on the D-Line. DT will be a big question coming into the summer.

Mountaineer#96
April 9th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Still better than football mecca Chatty.......

citdog
April 9th, 2012, 11:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEAYcR8w_tE

seantaylor
April 10th, 2012, 01:25 AM
Coaching turnover is a positive aspect for App this year. Losing talent on offense is the main detriment this offseason. You must be unfamiliar with the chess-master known as Scott Satterfield. He makes SoCon D coordinators pull their hair out and contimplate suicide.

GaSo lost a TON of talent. I suspect that's why they aren't the #1 pick. A new QB will add some undeniable growing pains, no matter how athletic he is.

Furple really is the biggest question mark in my opinion.

I expect App to win the conference, but lose the head-to-head with GaSo, much like they did this year, with both teams making deep playoff runs.

GSU lost nowhere near a ton of talent. We have 16 starters returning, 17 or 18 considering Dubose and Tray are coming off medical redshirts. Jaybo is not a loss. Our only two big losses are are Maxwell and Scott. We will be better this year.

eaglewraith
April 10th, 2012, 05:41 AM
GSU lost nowhere near a ton of talent. We have 16 starters returning, 17 or 18 considering Dubose and Tray are coming off medical redshirts. Jaybo is not a loss. Our only two big losses are are Maxwell and Scott. We will be better this year.

And Moore, and Edwards, and Mora.

Lost 3 OL, one of which was our center, lost our punter who made a tremendous difference in games, lost our kicker who was perfect for his career on xp's until right at the end of the year and did really well on field goals as well, and we lost a QB that had a fantastic grasp on the offense.

Izzy and McKinnon are fantastic athletes no doubt. However, every time I've seen a QB take over at Georgia Southern without a lot of significant playing time, there's always been issues with QB/Center exchanges and the QB/B-Back mesh. Until that gets smooth then nothing will run well. Also, if the OL doesn't fill in the holes left by those guys that graduated then all that talent we have in the backfield will be all for nothing since it won't matter.

I'm not exactly sold on our DC either. Our defensive production went down, even though we had pretty much all the same players. Brent Russell was nowhere near the same factor on games as he was in 2010. Our entire DL looked pitiful up against the 2010 version.

Smitty
April 10th, 2012, 07:22 AM
After skimming over all of this I notice nobody has said anything really about Wofford or much about Furman either. Anybody have info on these teams?

Apphole
April 10th, 2012, 08:00 AM

Ridiculous. You lost an incredible QB and most of your starting O-line.

asumike83
April 10th, 2012, 08:20 AM
After skimming over all of this I notice nobody has said anything really about Wofford or much about Furman either. Anybody have info on these teams?

Both are breaking in new QB's and Furman is losing Steed and Kadarron Anderson on defense, who were both big playmakers for them. They also lose WR/KR Cunningham but return TE Colin Anderson and RB Jerodis Williams who should be key players for them this year. Someone from Furman can correct me if I'm wrong on any of that, and I'm not too sure about who will be taking the reigns at QB. I'd assume Dakota Derrick but couldn't say definitively.

Wofford lost QB Mitch Allen, who will be replaced by Brian Kass. Kass is from Raleigh (my hometown) and played at my rival high school, so I keep up with that conference a bit. He is a very good athlete from a football family. His brother played college ball at ECU. I think Kass will do a good job for them and of course, Breitenstein is returning and will certainly give coordinators fits. Donovan Johnson returns as well and he is a burner that compliments the physical style of EB very well. I expect them to have their say.

PaladinFan
April 10th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I'm not. Too many questions.

Furman is probably the safe pick honestly. I don't think they've really lost much, and they should only get better. Although unlike Florida, they won't be able to catch us offguard with a double slot formation ;)

App should be in the mix, but the jury is out on how fast the offense gets turned around. If Robinson can develop as a passer, UTC will be tough as well. Wofford is having to replace Allen at QB, and we all know how tough it is to replace a QB in the option game.

No worries there. Furman, and I have never understood why, only runs that double slot against the FBS schools. They've had great success with it, as Furman has generally been pretty competitive in those games. Frankly, they do not make it complicated in the slightest (usually just pitching it to the motion man), but it works for a few quarters against teams that are completely unprepared for it.

I don't think even Bruce Fowler knows what to expect with Furman this year. We lost some talented players, but have some talent in reserve. I think the conference is GSU's until proven otherwise, particularly because App State has to travel to Statesboro (where they have generally struggled). I think there are a number of teams that can make the push for the title.

T-Dog
April 10th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Wofford lost QB Mitch Allen, who will be replaced by Brian Kass. Kass is from Raleigh (my hometown) and played at my rival high school, so I keep up with that conference a bit. He is a very good athlete from a football family. His brother played college ball at ECU. I think Kass will do a good job for them and of course, Breitenstein is returning and will certainly give coordinators fits. Donovan Johnson returns as well and he is a burner that compliments the physical style of EB very well. I expect them to have their say.

Every 3-4 years Wofford has a crappy season with injuries and/or young players who haven't quite gotten the wishbone. I feel this could be that season with a young o-line, although EB and Johnson will get their yards.

PaladinFan
April 10th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Both are breaking in new QB's and Furman is losing Steed and Kadarron Anderson on defense, who were both big playmakers for them. They also lose WR/KR Cunningham but return TE Colin Anderson and RB Jerodis Williams who should be key players for them this year. Someone from Furman can correct me if I'm wrong on any of that, and I'm not too sure about who will be taking the reigns at QB. I'd assume Dakota Derrick but couldn't say definitively.

Quarterback battle will be between Derrick and Travis Eman. No real presumptions as to who gets the nod at this point. Both bring different skills to the table. Derrick is a tall (6'4) passer type who has the edge on experience. Eman is highly regarded freshman run-pass threat who is built in the mold of former Paladin QB Renaldo Gray (6'1, 225). Eman is less experienced, but has the much higher upside in my opinion.

Furman does return Jerry Williams at RB and Colin Anderson at TE. I think those two are the x-factors in the SoCon this season, and will certainly be the keys to Furman's season. Anderson in particular blocks well, runs routes well, and has size and speed that makes him a difficult matchup for any defense. A few times last season (Wofford game in particular) opposing defenses basically abandoned safety support in the running game to keep Anderson from getting behind them. That's a tough call with Williams carrying the football.

Defense lost a couple great players, but Fowler is a defensive coach and has brought in some good talent on that side of the ball. Safety Nathan Wade is primed for a breakout season. He was suspended the first three games of last season, but hits as hard as any defensive player in the conference.

SpeedkingATL
April 10th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Another crap shoot year with GaSo, App, Furple, UTC and Wofford all are potential SoCon Championship teams. Elon, Citadel, and Sammy will get their upsets and Western will likely be Western for at least one more year. App has to travel to Statesboro but gets Furman and Wofford at The Rock. Hard to predict anything at this point except that App will lead in attendance with Montana and Coastal coming to Boone along with the SoCon schedule. Should be a fun season in the SoCon.

seantaylor
April 10th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Ridiculous. You lost an incredible QB and most of your starting O-line.

Jaybo was. Far from an incredible QB. We lost two starting Olineman. Mann lost his job to a freshman halfway through the season. Maxwell is a big loss. Moore was overrated.

eaglewraith
April 10th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Jaybo was. Far from an incredible QB. We lost two starting Olineman. Mann lost his job to a freshman halfway through the season. Maxwell is a big loss. Moore was overrated.

You didn't watch that boy block then.

PaladinFan
April 10th, 2012, 04:53 PM
You didn't watch that boy block then.

We've pretty much, to this point, established that seantaylor is the lone person on this entire forum that thinks Georgia Southern is better without Jaybo Shaw and that teams need only six three star running backs to be competitve.

eaglewraith
April 10th, 2012, 04:56 PM
We've pretty much, to this point, established that seantaylor needs to go get his shinebox.

There, fixed it for you.

cbarrier90
April 10th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Every 3-4 years Wofford has a crappy season with injuries and/or young players who haven't quite gotten the wishbone. I feel this could be that season with a young o-line, although EB and Johnson will get their yards.

Did the NCAA grant him a tenth year of eligibility?

GlassOnion
April 10th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Sure could have used EB in Boone.

eaglewraith
April 10th, 2012, 08:18 PM

Sure could have used AE in Statesboro.

I can play this game too ;)

cbarrier90
April 10th, 2012, 11:15 PM

I'm not so sure. As talented as EB is, and as much as I wish he would have stayed home, his role at most in ASU's offense would have been an H-back/TE/FB similar to the role Terrence McLean played last season and Brad Hardee played before him.

The RB in a spread option system needs a quick first step and needs to be at top speed as soon as the ball is snapped. As dangerous as EB is in the open field, with the ability to run over or around any player in the secondary, it takes him a few steps before he gets going at top speed. The ASU defense exposed this in the 2010 ASU-Wofford game.

We'll never know whether or not Coach Moore seriously recruited Breitenstein, but had he stayed home, he most certainly would not have become the Payton Award contender he is today. Mike Ayers' system is the perfect fit.

cbarrier90
April 10th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Oh, and I would love to have seen how Hatcher/Van Gorder/Sewak could screw up the Edwards-Foster backfield at GSU. :)

eaglewraith
April 11th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Oh, and I would love to have seen how Hatcher/Van Gorder/Sewak could screw up the Edwards-Foster backfield at GSU. :)

Well, Sewak wouldn't have had an impact, since he was already fired before he would have enrolled.

I agree about VanDumbass though unfortunately.

It would have been interesting to see if Hatcher would have kept running that Shotgun Spread we ran in 2007 with AE in Statesboro though.

chattownmocs
April 11th, 2012, 07:04 AM
1. Chattanooga
2. Georgia Southern
3. Wofford
4. Furman
5. App State
6. Citadel
7. Samford
8. Elon
9. Western Carolina

Apphole
April 11th, 2012, 07:10 AM
1. Chattanooga
2. Georgia Southern
3. Wofford
4. Furman
5. App State
6. Citadel
7. Samford
8. Elon
9. Western Carolina

xlolx Axe to grind much?

chattownmocs
April 11th, 2012, 07:17 AM
xlolx Axe to grind much?

Not at all. Mediocre QB, patchwork offensive line, Not much at all to speak of out of the skill players. Defensively you will have the 3rd or 4th best unit in the conference but it will even out to a 5th place finish in my estimation. If your freshman class is able to make a big impact in the offensive skill areas than maybe you can get up to 3rd or so.

Apphole
April 11th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Not at all. Mediocre QB, patchwork offensive line, Not much at all to speak of out of the skill players. Defensively you will have the 3rd or 4th best unit in the conference but it will even out to a 5th place finish in my estimation. If your freshman class is able to make a big impact in the offensive skill areas than maybe you can get up to 3rd or so.

QB is more than medicre (we finished 2nd in the conference last year). O-line will be much improved (again, we finished second in the conference last year). We get back the chess master that's used to blowing out Chatty by 30+ instead of just beating them by 2. Best LB corps in the conference, experienced secondary ect. We are certainly in the running for best SoCon defense. How the hell can you put our D at 4th? Oh yeah, you're delusional and you put UTC at the top and App in the middle every year regardless of the annual sitcharoo the teams pull on you.

chattownmocs
April 11th, 2012, 07:37 AM
QB is more than medicre no he isn't(we finished 2nd in the conference last year). O-line will be much improved It's not going to be good because it has very little talent. (again, we finished second in the conference last year). Again, you were a mediocre team last year, chances are you aren't going to play at that level and finish 2nd again.We get back the chess master that's used to blowing out Chatty by 30+ instead of just beating them by 2 "The chess master" has a bunch of pawns . Best LB corps in the conference Once again, you run a 3-4 and have 2 LBs that have done anything, experienced secondary ect. We are certainly in the running for best SoCon defense Ron Paul is in the running for President. How the hell can you put our D at 4th? Chattanooga, Georgia Southern, Furman. You won't be much better than Wofford or Samford on defense. Oh yeah, you're delusional and you put UTC at the top and App in the middle every year regardless of the annual sitcharoo the teams pull on you. Yeah this is only my second year on here in the preseason, Cool story though

PaladinFan
April 11th, 2012, 07:46 AM
1. Chattanooga
2. Georgia Southern
3. Wofford
4. Furman
5. App State
6. Citadel
7. Samford
8. Elon
9. Western Carolina

What is your rationale?

You have UTC ranked above five teams that beat them last year. UTC graduates really the only two playmakers they had on a mediocre offense. I think UTC has some talent, particularly on defense, but they have a boatload of "ifs." I'm not sure they can score enough to finish in the lead pack.

Smitty
April 11th, 2012, 07:52 AM
That's strange I could do the same thing to most of your posts...

Either way the SoCon should be very competitive this year. I am hoping that WCU may cause at least one upset even though I know we can't expect too much just yet.

PaladinFan
April 11th, 2012, 08:07 AM
QB is more than medicre (we finished 2nd in the conference last year). O-line will be much improved (again, we finished second in the conference last year). We get back the chess master that's used to blowing out Chatty by 30+ instead of just beating them by 2. Best LB corps in the conference, experienced secondary ect. We are certainly in the running for best SoCon defense. How the hell can you put our D at 4th? Oh yeah, you're delusional and you put UTC at the top and App in the middle every year regardless of the annual sitcharoo the teams pull on you.

App's defense is not as good as UTCs. Not really even close, IMO.

I'm also not sure the return of Satterfield is some golden egg. Satterfield oversaw some great teams, but he was also on staff for some not-so-good teams as well. Armanti Edwards makes everyone look good.

PaladinFan
April 11th, 2012, 08:08 AM
That's strange I could do the same thing to most of your posts...

Either way the SoCon should be very competitive this year. I am hoping that WCU may cause at least one upset even though I know we can't expect too much just yet.

I still remember 2005. Never again have I taken WCU lightly.

chattownmocs
April 11th, 2012, 08:17 AM
What is your rationale?

You have UTC ranked above five teams that beat them last year. UTC graduates really the only two playmakers they had on a mediocre offense. I think UTC has some talent, particularly on defense, but they have a boatload of "ifs." I'm not sure they can score enough to finish in the lead pack.

I could give you a simple answer. Like "Chattanooga lost those 5 games by 7 points or less, 4 by 2 or less and they return 9 offensive(10 if you count Robinson) and 8 defensive starters." That alone should give you the rationale pretty easily. But Ill go a little more in-depth as far as your point about no offensive weapons, I'd have to disagree. I think we have plenty of weapons. Two young QBs who can kill you with their legs and I believe at least one will be able to beat you with his arm. 2 young all SOCON freshman team backs returning. Both ran for 500+ yards as true freshman. Keon Williams was suspended last year but he will be back and hopefully in shape by August 31st. The guy will go about 5"10 220 and just punish you, Marquis green is about 5'7" 175 with good speed he can hurt you on the ground and in the air. Not to mention we have 2 experienced seniors in the backfield as well and a young redshirt freshman who might be the most talented RB on the team. At WR we have Marlon Anthony. A top 100 national WR prospect out of HS. A rarity at this level to get a guy of that caliber. A big fast guy. Hasn't played up to his potential yet but by all accounts is taking a huge step forward as the number 1 guy this spring.

Then on defense you have a defensive line that could be really nasty. You have 3 or 4 very young undersized athletic tackles that were all freshman last year and all played pretty damn well. You have Josh Williams at DE who has a ton of sacks in his career including 9.5 last year. On the other side you have an absolute physical freak in Davis Tull. Was headed to Memphis before he tore an ACL in high school got healthy at the end of last year and began to dominate. Those 2 defensive ends are going to combine for 20 sacks if they stay healthy. At LB you have Dothard the Fathead All-American moving to the middle. You have Miller a returning starter to his left and Heatherly a starter from a few years ago to his right. Very solid experienced group. In the secondary excellent corners especially kadeem wise. At safety you have the best player on Chattanooga's team in my opinon. DJ Key. What a monster back there. And then hopefully we get somebody to step up beside him. It's looking like Zach McCarter's sport right now. Russ Huesman and Adam Fuller flat out know how to coach up a defense. If they aren't tops in the SOCON again this year it will be a major surprise.

Smitty
April 11th, 2012, 08:27 AM
I could give you a simple answer. Like "Chattanooga lost those 5 games by 7 points or less, 4 by 2 or less and they return 9 offensive(10 if you count Robinson) and 8 defensive starters." That alone should give you the rationale pretty easily. But Ill go a little more in-depth as far as your point about no offensive weapons, I'd have to disagree. I think we have plenty of weapons. Two young QBs who can kill you with their legs and I believe at least one will be able to beat you with his arm. 2 young all SOCON freshman team backs returning. Both ran for 500+ yards as true freshman. Keon Williams was suspended last year but he will be back and hopefully in shape by August 31st. The guy will go about 5"10 220 and just punish you, Marquis green is about 5'7" 175 with good speed he can hurt you on the ground and in the air. Not to mention we have 2 experienced seniors in the backfield as well and a young redshirt freshman who might be the most talented RB on the team. At WR we have Marlon Anthony. A top 100 national WR prospect out of HS. A rarity at this level to get a guy of that caliber. A big fast guy. Hasn't played up to his potential yet but by all accounts is taking a huge step forward as the number 1 guy this spring.

Then on defense you have a defensive line that could be really nasty. You have 3 or 4 very young undersized athletic tackles that were all freshman last year and all played pretty damn well. You have Josh Williams at DE who has a ton of sacks in his career including 9.5 last year. On the other side you have an absolute physical freak in Davis Tull. Was headed to Memphis before he tore an ACL in high school got healthy at the end of last year and began to dominate. Those 2 defensive ends are going to combine for 20 sacks if they stay healthy. At LB you have Dothard the Fathead All-American moving to the middle. You have Miller a returning starter to his left and Heatherly a starter from a few years ago to his right. Very solid experienced group. In the secondary excellent corners especially kadeem wise. At safety you have the best player on Chattanooga's team in my opinon. DJ Key. What a monster back there. And then hopefully we get somebody to step up beside him. It's looking like Zach McCarter's sport right now. Russ Huesman and Adam Fuller flat out know how to coach up a defense. If they aren't tops in the SOCON again this year it will be a major surprise.

asumike83
April 11th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Two young QBs who can kill you with their legs and I believe at least one will be able to beat you with his arm.

That is exactly why the UTC offense will be a big question mark. You have two good athletes and it is still yet to be seen whether either of them can consistently throw the ball well enough to give you guys a passing threat.

Smitty
April 11th, 2012, 08:34 AM
I wonder how all of these stats would look if you took out the 3 wins you did get last year against the bottom 3 teams?

Scoring 51 against WCU, 42 at Elon, and 24 against Samford probably helped out a bunch.

chattownmocs
April 11th, 2012, 08:37 AM
That is exactly why the UTC offense will be a big question mark. You have two good athletes and it is still yet to be seen whether either of them can consistently throw the ball well enough to give you guys a passing threat.

Well, we have already seen Robinson win some games. We have also seen him look really bad, but he has won some games so he isn't a complete question mark. He may not be as good as some think he is.

chattownmocs
April 11th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I wonder how all of these stats would look if you took out the 3 wins you did get last year against the bottom 3 teams?

Scoring 51 against WCU, 42 at Elon, and 24 against Samford probably helped out a bunch.

What stats?

asumike83
April 11th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Well, we have already seen Robinson win some games. We have also seen him look really bad, but he has won some games so he isn't a complete question mark. He may not be as good as some think he is.

He definitely showed signs of some very good ability last year, I agree. The telling part will be seeing how he does now that he is the established #1 guy and defenses are watching his film and preparing for him. My guess would be that most teams will stack the box and make Robinson win games with his arm. I think the Chatty defense is good enough to keep you in most all of your games, it will just depend on whether y'all can consistently score enough points.

chattownmocs
April 11th, 2012, 08:41 AM
He definitely showed signs of some very good ability last year, I agree. The telling part will be seeing how he does now that he is the established #1 guy and defenses are watching his film and preparing for him. My guess would be that most teams will stack the box and make Robinson win games with his arm. I think the Chatty defense is good enough to keep you in most all of your games, it will just depend on whether y'all can consistently score enough points.

I don't know that he is going to be the #1 guy. Huesman outplayed him by alot in spring ball. At the very least they are both going to see significant action at least early in the year.

Apphole
April 11th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I don't know that he is going to be the #1 guy. Huesman outplayed him by alot in spring ball. At the very least they are both going to see significant action at least early in the year.

If Huesman starts, I call nepotism. It will be interesting to see how he reacts when his dad continues to choke away games.

chattownmocs
April 11th, 2012, 08:50 AM
If Huesman starts, I call nepotism. It will be interesting to see how he reacts when his dad continues to choke away games.

They say it is Satterfield's decision. But I actually fear that Huesman won't start simply to avoid the appearance of Nepotism. In any event I can't wait to hear the reaction the first time Huesman darts right up the middle and outruns someone's secondary to pay dirt. Huesman is a real player, just like his daddy was. They are no joke he was a highly celebrated High School QB and how some offers from FBS schools.

Smitty
April 11th, 2012, 08:54 AM
What stats?

Green had 184 yards just at those 3 games Robinson had 257 yards. Josh Williams had 5.5 sacks against these teams, but besides that he had no sacks at any other SoCon team (2 at Eastern Kentucy, 2 at Jacksonville St) , Tull had 3 (too lazy to find out other places)...

Just some of the players mentioned that had their stats boosted by playing the worst 3 teams in the league.

So you are partially correct, as long as you play the bottom teams your team will be good!

Apphole
April 11th, 2012, 08:56 AM
They say it is Satterfield's decision. But I actually fear that Huesman won't start simply to avoid the appearance of Nepotism. In any event I can't wait to hear the reaction the first time Huesman darts right up the middle and outruns someone's secondary to pay dirt. Huesman is a real player, just like his daddy was. They are no joke he was a highly celebrated High School QB and how some offers from FBS schools.

Satterfield might be the best OC in the conference for the decision, but maybe your own coaching staff should make the call....

chattownmocs
April 11th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Satterfield might be the best OC in the conference for the decision, but maybe your own coaching staff should make the call....

http://www.gomocs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17700&ATCLID=3639995

asumike83
April 11th, 2012, 09:02 AM

I think App has to be in the top 3, and I will have GA Southern in my top spot until someone knocks them out of it.

Jamal Jackson did not blow the doors off by any means last season but considering he stepped in behind a revolving door O-Line in the middle of the season, I think he did very well. 2,000 passing yards, 15 TD-8 INT along with 300 rushing yards and 7 rushing TD is pretty respectable. Given a full offseason to work with the first team, I think he will prove to be much better than a mediocre quarterback.

We worked with a patchwork offensive line much of last season but that will not be the case in 2012, barring more unforeseen circumstances. Kendall Lamm, starting LT, was suspended at the end of last season and is now back with the team and had a good spring. Kalan Jones, starting LG, was lost for the season with a broken ankle early in the VT game and he is also back and healthy. We also redshirted some guys before all of these losses. With those kids in the mix as well as the returning starters, App will have much better depth up front. Alex Acey was freshman all SoCon at C and he will be fighting to hold on to his starting spot. Our OL coach was a big problem for us as well. With a new coach in place and better depth, it will likely be a much improved unit.

In terms of skill positions, we return Andrew Peacock and Tony Washington at WR. Those two guys combined for about 900 yards and 5 TD last season when Brian Quick was the top target. They both have great ability in the open field and will see a lot more touches this season. We have a redshirt freshman Sean Price who is definitely worth keeping an eye on. His physical abilities are off the charts and if his route running and blocking catch up to that, he will be a handful. RB is a true unknown for anyone that does not follow ASU very closely but we have a lot of ability in the backfield. Not a lot of experience but we have 3 quality backs (Morgan, Chisholm, Holloway) that have the talent to get our running game back on track if they can pick up Satterfield's offense. To me, that is the biggest question about this team. If the running game can get going, it will be a very explosive offense. If not, it will be pass happy and only marginally better than the 2011 version.

Apphole
April 11th, 2012, 09:05 AM
http://www.gomocs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17700&ATCLID=3639995

I was being facetious...

chattownmocs
April 11th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Green had 184 yards just at those 3 games Robinson had 257 yards. Josh Williams had 5.5 sacks against these teams, but besides that he had no sacks at any other SoCon team (2 at Eastern Kentucy, 2 at Jacksonville St) , Tull had 3 (too lazy to find out other places)...

Just some of the players mentioned that had their stats boosted by playing the worst 3 teams in the league.

So you are partially correct, as long as you play the bottom teams your team will be good!

The most basic of common sense would tell you that you probably had better stats against the teams you blew out then you did in close losses. I'm not really sure what your point is. Chattanooga was good enough to be in every game basically from start to finish. If they improve they should be able to do something similar again this year except maybe actually win a few close games. Your arguments are exceptionally weak even for you.

PaladinFan
April 11th, 2012, 09:24 AM

Yes, but they still lost those games. Sure, they lost them close, but at the end of the day, UTC's defense didn't step up to close out games and the offense didn't put teams away when given the opportunity. That has to count for something, doesn't it?

At the end of the day, I see UTC as having the league's best defense, and one of the league's worst offenses. I see four other teams (App, Furman, GSU, and Wofford) with defenses that will be better than average, and offenses that will be better than average. I don't think UTC's defensive advantage is going to counteract their inefficiencies on offense.

Again, I've mentioned them a few times, but the 2003 Paladin team is a prime example. Maybe the best defense the SoCon has had in 10 or 15 years, but was saddled with an offense that could not keeps teams honest with the pass. That team had a 1,000 yard back, but had less than 1,800 yards passing on the entire season. They went 6-5 while giving up an astounding 14 points per game. That's the type season I think UTC could be looking at if their offense does not pick it up. You cannot win a lot of football games simply by relying on the defense to pitch shutouts every Saturday.

Smitty
April 11th, 2012, 09:45 AM
The most basic of common sense would tell you that you probably had better stats against the teams you blew out then you did in close losses. I'm not really sure what your point is. Chattanooga was good enough to be in every game basically from start to finish. If they improve they should be able to do something similar again this year except maybe actually win a few close games. Your arguments are exceptionally weak even for you.

Everybody blew those teams away and the players you mentioned only really benefited from these games. You can't really claim that Williams and Tull are amazing if 10-15 of their sacks come from the worst teams in the league. The same way when Vanderbilt beats Presbyterian 52-0 this year they won't actually be the best defense and offense in the SEC...

If you count those 3 games as anomalies, you would find that your team and players were mediocre, and worthy of the 6th(tied with Elon) place finish last year.

chattownmocs
April 11th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Yes, but they still lost those games. Sure, they lost them close, but at the end of the day, UTC's defense didn't step up to close out games and the offense didn't put teams away when given the opportunity. That has to count for something, doesn't it?

At the end of the day, I see UTC as having the league's best defense, and one of the league's worst offenses. I see four other teams (App, Furman, GSU, and Wofford) with defenses that will be better than average, and offenses that will be better than average. I don't think UTC's defensive advantage is going to counteract their inefficiencies on offense.

Again, I've mentioned them a few times, but the 2003 Paladin team is a prime example. Maybe the best defense the SoCon has had in 10 or 15 years, but was saddled with an offense that could not keeps teams honest with the pass. That team had a 1,000 yard back, but had less than 1,800 yards passing on the entire season. They went 6-5 while giving up an astounding 14 points per game. That's the type season I think UTC could be looking at if their offense does not pick it up. You cannot win a lot of football games simply by relying on the defense to pitch shutouts every Saturday.

Well that is your opinion. Mine is that Chattanooga will be in the top half offensively and at the top defensively. Of course last year could mean absolutely nothing. Chattanooga could miss Consiglio, Tippit and Lweis-Harris more than you or I think and take a step back defensively. They could Develop their QBs into a nightmare for opposing defenses both running and passing in the new spread offense. The running game could take a huge step forward with a stable of good backs and an offensive line all back could gel and become a strength. This team could be completely different than you or I expect it to be.

mountaineer in Cane Land
April 11th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Thats it, after reading Chatts assesment of his team, I'm convienced Chatts going to go undefeated in the SC, and roll to their first national championship, the rest of us are playing for seconds... all hail the mighty mocs!!!

ASUMountaineer
April 11th, 2012, 12:06 PM

I'm also not sure the return of Satterfield is some golden egg. Satterfield oversaw some great teams, but he was also on staff for some not-so-good teams as well. Armanti Edwards makes everyone look good.

Why do you want to take credit from Satterfield? He was the one directing the offense for those teams, and won with those teams. I believe the theory is that the offense was significantly better while he was at ASU vs. after he left. Are you implying anyone could have coached that offense to the three national championships? He also won a championship at ASU while Armanti Edwards was in High School. Did you forget that he helped direct our backup QB to a win against Furman in the 2005 semifinals?

I don't say this to agree with Apphole's post, just in response to yours. I don't know how the season will end up, and am not one to make predictions. I think ASU has the talent to battle for the SoCon crown, but doesn't mean it will happen.

PaladinFan
April 11th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Why do you want to take credit from Satterfield? He was the one directing the offense for those teams, and won with those teams. I believe the theory is that the offense was significantly better while he was at ASU vs. after he left. Are you implying anyone could have coached that offense to the three national championships? He also won a championship at ASU while Armanti Edwards was in High School. Did you forget that he helped direct our backup QB to a win against Furman in the 2005 semifinals?

I don't say this to agree with Apphole's post, just in response to yours. I don't know how the season will end up, and am not one to make predictions. I think ASU has the talent to battle for the SoCon crown, but doesn't mean it will happen.

I'm saying that Satterfield's offense was top flight with the nation's best player. That offense was not nearly as good (even including 2005) as it was once Edwards arrived on campus.

chattownmocs
April 11th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Everybody blew those teams away and the players you mentioned only really benefited from these games. You can't really claim that Williams and Tull are amazing if 10-15 of their sacks come from the worst teams in the league. The same way when Vanderbilt beats Presbyterian 52-0 this year they won't actually be the best defense and offense in the SEC...

If you count those 3 games as anomalies, you would find that your team and players were mediocre, and worthy of the 6th(tied with Elon) place finish last year.

Why don't you stop while you are behind? Those are the teams where sacks are highly available. They only played eleven games. 4 of them were against triple option teams. So it stands to reason that the majority of their sacks would come against 5 of the 7 teams that actually dropped back to pass a few times a game.

chattownmocs
April 11th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I think App State's Satterfield is a top of the line coach. I think he did a really nice job at his last 2 stops in the FBS level. That being said, I also believe that App State had significantly more offensive talent during their great run than they have now.

ASUMountaineer
April 11th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I'm saying that Satterfield's offense was top flight with the nation's best player. That offense was not nearly as good (even including 2005) as it was once Edwards arrived on campus.

Why would that take away from Satterfield? It seems disingenuous to credit Satterfield's success at ASU solely to Armanti Edwards. It just comes across as if you're saying that ASU won despite Satterfield's coaching.

I know there are some ASU fans that are expecting us to immediately turn it around on offense. Obviously, that would be great, but it's not probable. Rebuilding an offense takes time, but we all expect Satterfield to succeed. Plus, it just feels right to have Satterfield back home. xnodx

PaladinFan
April 11th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Why would that take away from Satterfield? It seems disingenuous to credit Satterfield's success at ASU solely to Armanti Edwards. It just comes across as if you're saying that ASU won despite Satterfield's coaching.

I know there are some ASU fans that are expecting us to immediately turn it around on offense. Obviously, that would be great, but it's not probable. Rebuilding an offense takes time, but we all expect Satterfield to succeed. Plus, it just feels right to have Satterfield back home. xnodx

Not at all. Satterfield is a very good coach, but would he have been as successful coaching Samford? Probably not. Some of it (I think a lot of it) is he caught lightening in a bottle and had the ability to harness that into some fantastic years.

I know App fans want to cite better playcalling, but I really think that is overrated. At the end of the day, in App's losses, they got whipped up front. To fix the App offense, Satterfield has to fix the offensive line. He can call all the fancy plays he wants to, but when defensive tackles are beating the running back to the handoff, you have more pressing issues than down and distance.

Apphole
April 11th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Not at all. Satterfield is a very good coach, but would he have been as successful coaching Samford? Probably not. Some of it (I think a lot of it) is he caught lightening in a bottle and had the ability to harness that into some fantastic years.

But he's not coaching Sammy, he's coaching an ASU team that's still in contention for another SoCon and perhaps even another NC

ASUMountaineer
April 11th, 2012, 03:02 PM

I know App fans want to cite better playcalling, but I really think that is overrated. At the end of the day, in App's losses, they got whipped up front. To fix the App offense, Satterfield has to fix the offensive line. He can call all the fancy plays he wants to, but when defensive tackles are beating the running back to the handoff, you have more pressing issues than down and distance.

I don't disagree with that much at all. I don't think Satterfield would have won NC's at Samford, but I do think he's good enough that he would have been successful.

I think part of the playcalling issue is calling plays that suit your personnel. I do think that was lacking the last few years. Would better playcalling have won more games? I think it might could have won a few more, but there's no way to prove that. OL is certainly one of the biggest question marks we have, this season should be interesting...to say the least.

asu3peat
April 11th, 2012, 03:36 PM

You must remember, pretty much all the offensive guys playing on the 2005 team were recruited to run the Power-I and the spread was still in it's infancy. The 2006 and 2007 versions should've been better due to the fact that the recruiting strategy changed to match the system, as well as Satterfield's knowledge and comfort of the spread. Even with the nation's best player, there was a drop off in offensive production once SS left for Toledo.

Now I do agree with you that the OL got whipped up front all year. Luckily changes have been made and an actual OL coach was brought in. From what I've read, McLain was more of a technique coach who tried to implement an outside zone blocking scheme. The new coach, Ledford, is bringing a more physical approach to his coaching style, a la Shawn Elliott, versus the more mechanical style we've seen the past 2 seasons.

Skjellyfetti
April 11th, 2012, 04:07 PM

Playcalling is not remotely overrated.

Sure, our offensive line wasn't stellar last year and we wouldn't have put up a ton of points even with Satterfield. But, our play calling made our problems worse. Everyone in the damn stands knew that on 1st and 10 we were going to run it up the gut.

Furman last year:
1st and 10 at APP 30 Travaris Cadet rush for 1 yard to the AppSt 31
1st and 10 at APP 20 Travaris Cadet rush for 1 yard to the AppSt 21
1st and 10 at APP 15 Andrew Peacock rush for a loss of 2 yards to the AppSt 13
1st and 10 at APP 30 Steven Miller rush for a loss of 1 yard to the AppSt 29

It doesn't take a defensive genius to put together a scheme to stop this.

If you have a glaring weakness... and our offensive line certainly was last year... the opposing defense is going to try to exploit it. Your offensive production will drop off... and last year wasn't 100% on Glenn. BUT, you also can't be a ****ing stubborn playcaller and call plays exactly the same as you always have. You can't just keep running the damn ball up the gut every first down with an offensive line that has been manhandled all year.

PaladinFan
April 11th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Playcalling is not remotely overrated.

Sure, our offensive line wasn't stellar last year and we wouldn't have put up a ton of points even with Satterfield. But, our play calling made our problems worse. Everyone in the damn stands knew that on 1st and 10 we were going to run it up the gut.

Furman last year:
1st and 10 at APP 30 Travaris Cadet rush for 1 yard to the AppSt 31
1st and 10 at APP 20 Travaris Cadet rush for 1 yard to the AppSt 21
1st and 10 at APP 15 Andrew Peacock rush for a loss of 2 yards to the AppSt 13
1st and 10 at APP 30 Steven Miller rush for a loss of 1 yard to the AppSt 29

It doesn't take a defensive genius to put together a scheme to stop this.

If you have a glaring weakness... and our offensive line certainly was last year... the opposing defense is going to try to exploit it. Your offensive production will drop off... and last year wasn't 100% on Glenn. BUT, you also can't be a ****ing stubborn playcaller and call plays exactly the same as you always have. You can't just keep running the damn ball up the gut every first down with an offensive line that has been manhandled all year.

I don't disagree with the general premise that if something isn't working, going to the well over and over again is just a waste of time.

Still, App State runs the spread, and their base play is the read option. The entire offense hinges on their ability to force defenses to respect their ability to run the ball inside. That is how they wear you out on the edge with short slant routes, outs, and quick hitches to playmakers. When App is going good, they force the linebackers to stay home, suck teams inside, and let their athletes go to work one on one on the outside.

Last season, teams could handle the line of scrimmage with a four man front and a linebacker in reserve. That frees up the outside backers to run down those athletes. Instead of breaking down a man one on one, App's athletes were breaking them down one on three. You give that to the defense every single time.

Every offensive system has a weakness. App's weakness is apparent when they can't get the read play going. Forces that offense into some poor man's version of the air raid (which they have no interest in running). I anticipate Satterfield will take the same approach. He has to fix the line first.

mountaineerman
April 11th, 2012, 08:02 PM
do we know for sure that wray is gone has this been reported or is this hear say

SU DOG
April 11th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Samford at #8? I'd like to bet the farm against that right now. I don't know how we will end up, but this Samford team will be extremely tough in the trenches on BOTH sides of the ball. We also have several outstanding play-makers returning. Seems like the general thinking is that Furman will dominate us in that opener - I don't think so. After seeing the spring work, I am convinced that this team, barring injuries, is capable of competing with the tops of the SoCon.

asumike83
April 11th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Samford at #8? I'd like to bet the farm against that right now. I don't know how we will end up, but this Samford team will be extremely tough in the trenches on BOTH sides of the ball. We also have several outstanding play-makers returning. Seems like the general thinking is that Furman will dominate us in that opener - I don't think so. After seeing the spring work, I am convinced that this team, barring injuries, is capable of competing with the tops of the SoCon.

I think Samford will be a tough out too. It's just hard to move a team up in the rankings when they lose a senior QB and the SoCon looks to be very deep. I think the gap between 1st and 8th is as small as it has been in a while. Should be a very entertaining season.

SoCon48
April 11th, 2012, 09:20 PM

I guess Richie Williams made him look good, too. Reminder: he was QB on the first National Championship team.

citdog
April 11th, 2012, 09:33 PM
I am pleased to see that nobody is talking much about The Citadel.

http://difficultdog-petservices.webstarts.com/uploads/45466_GROWLING_BULLDOG.jpg

Skjellyfetti
April 11th, 2012, 10:06 PM
I am pleased to see that nobody is talking much about The Citadel.

This guy has y'all rated fairly high.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--here-are-the-most-egregiously-bad-college-football-games-of-the-2012-season.html

citdog
April 11th, 2012, 10:13 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--here-are-the-most-egregiously-bad-college-football-games-of-the-2012-season.html

we will give nc state all they want. we're gonna.....

HIT 'EM IN THE MOUTH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faMZeh_vmVU

PaladinFan
April 12th, 2012, 06:24 AM

I think Samford will pull an upset over a team or two this year.

Count me as one that does not see a Samford win in Birmingham first week of the season. I like the Bulldogs more than most, and I do not see Furman winning easily, but I think if both teams show up, Furman has the more talented unit. Still, since Samford joined the SoCon every game between these two has been a dog fight. I see that game going much like the others with Furman making a big play at the end of the game to seal the win (very much unlike they were able to do last season).

I-16Bandit
April 12th, 2012, 10:38 AM

Look at Savannah State being #1 and #2. Hahaha :D

asumike83
April 12th, 2012, 11:44 AM

One of my good friends is an FSU alumni and man... he was pissed when WVU backed out on that game. Let's just say the garnet and gold faithful are not thrilled about paying for season tickets to see Murray State and Savannah State as 2 of their 3 OOC games!

PaladinFan
April 12th, 2012, 01:00 PM

Can it be right to say the Citadel is 0-17 since 2000 against FBS teams?

I haven't been paying a lot of attention, but have the Bulldogs played 17 FBS teams in 11 seasons?

citdog
April 12th, 2012, 02:21 PM

ask steve spurrier and the SC gamecocks if they want to see us again anytime soon.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/theitem.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/6/5d/65d7ec46-1457-11e1-87fe-001cc4c002e0/4eca715c2177e.image.jpg