PDA

View Full Version : EWU Gateway Project

Screamin_Eagle174
April 7th, 2012, 04:20 AM
I was going to wait until there was more foundation underneath this project, but since Optimus Prime over on CS posted it, figured I'd post over here as well to get peoples' thoughts on it.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/apr/07/ewu-molds-big-dreams-with-gateway-project/

http://sites.ewu.edu/easterneronline/2012/03/23/project-gateway-presented-to-the-board-of-trustees-feasibility-study-next/

The first phase building would introduce 5,000 more seats in lower seating rather than bleachers to the Washington side of Roos Field and 3,000 more seats to upper, covered seating. The inside the building would house concessions with a view of the game, leasable commercial space, suites and a donor club with tiered seating and a patio, many bathrooms on one concourse alone, the Academic Success Center, a training room, football operations, the University Bookstore, locker rooms for home and visitors and a dedicated space for the band near the field.One of the presenters said that a dedicated spot for track would be located elsewhere on campus.

Further phases included additional seating in the north end zone, which would connect the proposed building with the existing stands to the east (far side from Washington Street) and a dedicated student area on the south. The whole stadium could eventually seat 20,000.

The project would be funded by donations only and if approved, would be attempted to be completed in 30 months, September of 2014.

http://sites.ewu.edu/easterneronline/files/2012/04/Gateway-Concept.jpg

Basically, the lower section would mirror the current homestand with 6000 seats, with another 3k in a second tier like Montana's, but covered and attached to a really sweet athletics/university building. That would bring the capacity up to 16,600.

The biggest hangup will obviously be funding, but I like our chances given the nature of the project - EWU fans and alum have been wanting something like this for a long time, and that Marc Hughes and Mike Westfall will be spearheading it. They raised the $1M+ needed for the turf really quick.

100%GRIZ
April 7th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Here is to hoping it becomes a reality soon! Great to see the Big Sky getting Bigger and Better!

ursus arctos horribilis
April 7th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Renderings look pretty sweet as they always do of course so hope it becomes a reality. I'm confused though SE is there still no plan or not an immediate plan anyway on the opposite side?

Screamin_Eagle174
April 7th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Renderings look pretty sweet as they always do of course so hope it becomes a reality. I'm confused though SE is there still no plan or not an immediate plan anyway on the opposite side?

What do you mean? The opposite side is the current grand stand/pressbox that seats 6k+.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 7th, 2012, 04:53 PM
What do you mean? The opposite side is the current grand stand/pressbox that seats 6k+.

Ok, I thought they were doing this to to the existing side. That is fantastic news then and not just good news. I just skimmed so may have rolled right over it, but are they removing the track in this process as well?

HailSzczur
April 7th, 2012, 05:12 PM

Those are some funky trees, they make them see through out in Washington?

But that looks great, best of luck in making it happen

darell1976
April 7th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I was going to wait until there was more foundation underneath this project, but since Optimus Prime over on CS posted it, figured I'd post over here as well to get peoples' thoughts on it.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/apr/07/ewu-molds-big-dreams-with-gateway-project/

http://sites.ewu.edu/easterneronline/2012/03/23/project-gateway-presented-to-the-board-of-trustees-feasibility-study-next/

Basically, the lower section would mirror the current homestand with 6000 seats, with another 3k in a second tier like Montana's, but covered and attached to a really sweet athletics/university building. That would bring the capacity up to 16,600.

The biggest hangup will obviously be funding, but I like our chances given the nature of the project - EWU fans and alum have been wanting something like this for a long time, and that Marc Hughes and Mike Westfall will be spearheading it. They raised the $1M+ needed for the turf really quick.

That Eagle looks really cool!! Can't wait to visit it sometime when UND is there.

Screamin_Eagle174
April 7th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Ok, I thought they were doing this to to the existing side. That is fantastic news then and not just good news. I just skimmed so may have rolled right over it, but are they removing the track in this process as well?

Yep. xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
April 7th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Yep. xthumbsupx

Excellent. Pretty much everything we've talked about for years now. I can't remember which thread but it was around the time Kalm had started posting I think and someone was bashing EWU as a location and I had made the comment that it was a place that I thought could be a real sweet setting for a great game day experience if they would get their act together with the stadium & facilities. I said something like you'd be rolling along and it would appear to just be plains/fields and then boom there is a nice little college town with a cool stadium.

Exciting times for you guys man cuz that is very cool. I've got a friend that works in the Athletic Dpt. over there so I'll keep you apprised.:D

Screamin_Eagle174
April 7th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Excellent. Pretty much everything we've talked about for years now. I can't remember which thread but it was around the time Kalm had started posting I think and someone was bashing EWU as a location and I had made the comment that it was a place that I thought could be a real sweet setting for a great game day experience if they would get their act together with the stadium & facilities. I said something like you'd be rolling along and it would appear to just be plains/fields and then boom there is a nice little college town with a cool stadium.

Exciting times for you guys man cuz that is very cool. I've got a friend that works in the Athletic Dpt. over there so I'll keep you apprised.:D

I'm cautiously optimistic until I know we have one foot in the water. There's rumor that a couple significant donors are on board with the idea already, but then again 20M+ is a hefty price tag.

MplsBison
April 7th, 2012, 07:23 PM
All's I know is that watching the NDSU playoff game at EWU's stadium in 2010 made it look like FCS was the same thing as DIII.

Can only go up from there.

Screamin_Eagle174
April 7th, 2012, 08:55 PM
All's I know is that watching the NDSU playoff game at EWU's stadium in 2010 made it look like FCS was the same thing as DIII.

Can only go up from there.

Well that's because the main camera was on the grandstand side. If the footage had been shot from the bleacher side, you would've seen half of a pretty good FCS venue. ;)

MplsBison
April 7th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Well that's because the main camera was on the grandstand side. If the footage had been shot from the bleacher side, you would've seen half of a pretty good FCS venue. ;)

No, there were shots of the whole stadium. Very much comparable to Southern Utah.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 7th, 2012, 10:41 PM

And a better angle on that fumble.

Screamin_Eagle174
April 7th, 2012, 10:45 PM
No, there were shots of the whole stadium. Very much comparable to Southern Utah.

Roos is definitely a step or two above Eccles.

Screamin_Eagle174
April 7th, 2012, 10:48 PM
And a better angle on that fumble.

Probably not actually, since most of the players were in between the bleacher sideline and Jensen/Sherritt. There should've been a camera man on the ground behind the endzone... that would've given the best angle.

slostang
April 8th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Roos is definitely a step or two above Eccles.

I have been to both and the only thing I did not like about Eccles was the field. The grass was long and uneven. They added a great video board to Eccles.

I think when they add to the other side of Roos it will be a great FCS stadium. I was there in 2004 and I am planning on attending the Cal Poly game there in 2012.

MplsBison
April 8th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I've seen pictures of both, they're very comparable.

Renderings are nice. I'm more interested to see if the EW football booster community is actually capable of raising 20M dollars. Going to need about 3/4ths to come from business gifts, I think.

Screamin_Eagle174
April 8th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I've seen pictures of both, they're very comparable.

Renderings are nice. I'm more interested to see if the EW football booster community is actually capable of raising 20M dollars. Going to need about 3/4ths to come from business gifts, I think.

Word is that there are a couple large donors already on board.

laxVik
April 8th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Roos is definitely a step or two above Eccles.I assume Eccles was a rich man as two stadiums in the state are named after him (SUU & UU)

LakesBison
April 8th, 2012, 05:49 PM
EWU worst stadium and worst town of a D1 program after (grand forks, brookings) you should be proud, youre #3 on the crappiest list.

Screamin_Eagle174
April 8th, 2012, 07:18 PM
EWU worst stadium and worst town of a D1 program after (fargo, greeley) you should be proud, youre #3 on the crappiest list.

Fixed.

EWU = Owns stadium, outdoors, expanding.
ndsu = Doesn't own dome, indoors, stagnant.

Cheney = Hunting, fishing, recreation galore within 40 miles, Spokane nearby, no floods, rarely negative temps, 4 seasons.
Fargo = Canada's asshole, nothing nearby, depressing, women look like livestock, 2 seasons (antartica, flooding), have to root for either UND or ndsu.

Tubby Raymond
April 8th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Trying to be a big boy=Fail

Screamin_Eagle174
April 8th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Trying to be a big boy=Fail

Try again, #2.

Hammerhead
April 8th, 2012, 09:49 PM
I'll believe it when they start moving dirt. If you guys ever get to host a playoff game again, maybe they'll limit the number of parking spaces tailgaters can use so people don't have to park in the mud up the hill from the parking lot. :-)

TheBisonator
April 8th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Fixed.

ndsu = Doesn't own dome, indoors, stagnant.

Cheney = Hunting, fishing, recreation galore within 40 miles, Spokane nearby, no floods, rarely negative temps, 4 seasons.
Fargo = Canada's asshole, nothing nearby, depressing, women look like livestock, 2 seasons (antartica, flooding), have to root for either UND or ndsu.

Actually, we're constantly renovating the Fargodome. New turf is coming in next month. We've poured millions of dollars into that place the last decade. Plus NDSU's stadium is on campus, and is a joint venture b/w NDSU and the city of Fargo.

Canada's asshole = Grand Forks, not F-M. And I can definitely say the women don't look like livestock (the college aged ones at least).

laxVik
April 9th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Man this forum of late is populated with children impressed that their toys are bigger, better and more bitchin'er than the everyone else's. Wow. How we've progressed. Fargo? Cheney? Dumps. Albuquerque where I live - another dump. Easy, hmm?

Grizcountry420
April 9th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Man this forum of late is populated with children impressed that their toys are bigger, better and more bitchin'er than the everyone else's. Wow. How we've progressed. Fargo? Cheney? Dumps. Albuquerque where I live - another dump. Easy, hmm?

Cool story bro....xcoffeex

Screamin_Eagle174
April 9th, 2012, 05:17 PM

Yeah, but the ABQ has Breaking Bad, so don't be too hard on yourself. xlolx

Canyoncat
April 10th, 2012, 09:52 AM
This looks pretty cool. Congrats EWU hope you guys are able to pull it off. I went to the MSU EWU game a few years ago (the year we had what seemed like half of our team out sick) and had a blast!

TheRevSFA
April 10th, 2012, 10:05 AM

Yeah but you're down the road from Santa Fe...

ursus arctos horribilis
April 10th, 2012, 12:06 PM
This looks pretty cool. Congrats EWU hope you guys are able to pull it off. I went to the MSU EWU game a few years ago (the year we had what seemed like half of our team out sick) and had a blast!

Agreed. It was not the best stadium but it was a good place to watch a game. The fans were real decent, welcoming people that were there to have some fun. Even out at the bars there were not a bunch of uber fan dickheads with bad intent on their plate. Just some harmless, friendly banter between rivals and beers shared.

If you have been there and did not have a good time then it's a pretty good shot that it is because you are a dick.

MplsBison
April 10th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I assume Eccles was a rich man as two stadiums in the state are named after him (SUU & UU)

The main guy has been dead for a while.

I assume he's chumming it up with Brigham Young, Joseph Smith and their collective 47 wives, wherever that may be.

dakotadan
April 15th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Good to see these plans at EWU. More schools need to step up and help improve the FCS brand through better facilities, fan experiences, funding, etc. Hopefully more Big Sky schools continue to announce plans like this, also.

Red & Black
November 25th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Some updates to the Gateway Project. Overall, the project will size 340k square feet and come at a price tag of $72 million. They would like to have it done in time for the 2014 or 2015 season. The word is there are a few big money donors lined up to foot the initial cost of the bill - the remainder will be paid for by leasing commercial space within the facility itself. The facility will include commercial space, a new book store, academic center, weight room, athletic offices, two levels of suites, etc. I have heard varying figures on capacity, with the new facility adding anywhere between 8,000-10,000 seats. So final capacity anywhere from 17,000 to 19,000 with future possibilities with the new south end zone structure in place. The plan also calls for the removal of the track, thank god.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo352/clapincd/gatewayoverhead.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo352/clapincd/Stadium_View_From_Reese.png

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo352/clapincd/image.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo352/clapincd/Gateway_View_from_Washington.jpg

Bisonoline
November 25th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Considering the attendance st the NDSU-EWU playoff game a few years ago do you really need that many seats?

robsnotes4u
November 25th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but when schools moved up from D2 to FCS or even d1 basketball, aren't the facilities suppose to be up to a certain standard, like available seats?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Screamin_Eagle174
November 25th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Considering the attendance st the NDSU-EWU playoff game a few years ago do you really need that many seats?

Considering that our average attendance in 2010 far surpassed the attendance for that game, and considering that average attendance for 2011 and 2012 have been at 100% capacity or just over, YES. Not to mention building a structure like this, in addition to our recent and current success on the national stage will only grow the fanbase and support.

robsnotes4u
November 25th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Some updates to the Gateway Project. Overall, the project will size 340k square feet and come at a price tag of $72 million. They would like to have it done in time for the 2014 or 2015 season. The word is there are a few big money donors lined up to foot the initial cost of the bill - the remainder will be paid for by leasing commercial space within the facility itself. The facility will include commercial space, a new book store, academic center, weight room, athletic offices, two levels of suites, etc. I have heard varying figures on capacity, with the new facility adding anywhere between 8,000-10,000 seats. So final capacity anywhere from 17,000 to 19,000 with future possibilities with the new south end zone structure in place. The plan also calls for the removal of the track, thank god.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo352/clapincd/Gateway_View_from_Washington.jpg

That will be a nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ginsbach
November 25th, 2012, 09:25 PM

That looks amazing! Now, if you could only do something about that eye-searing red turf. :P

Red & Black
November 25th, 2012, 09:30 PM

Screamin kinda already touched on it, but that's not a good game to use as a reference. This year and last, we've averaged around 5k more per game than were at that snowy playoff game in 2010. Attendance for early round playoff games is poor at many schools considering classes are out and the few students that are still around during the break have to actually pay to go to the games. Students, staff, etc. probably make up around 1/3 of the attendance for EWU regular season games, so when school is out it kills us. This year(s) playoff games will be better attended than in 2010, but my guess is we'll still be under our regular season average. Also, with the Gateway Project, it's not just a stadium renovation...although athletics will certainly be the main benefactor, it's much more than just the stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tubakat2014
November 25th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Congrats, EWU! I hope the funding situation clears up soon. Any time a project like this comes to fruition, it's a win for all FCS fans!

Bisonoline
November 25th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Screamin kinda already touched on it, but that's not a good game to use as a reference. This year and last, we've averaged around 5k more per game than were at that snowy playoff game in 2010. Attendance for early round playoff games is poor at many schools considering classes are out and the few students that are still around during the break have to actually pay to go to the games. Students, staff, etc. probably make up around 1/3 of the attendance for EWU regular season games, so when school is out it kills us. This year(s) playoff games will be better attended than in 2010, but my guess is we'll still be under our regular season average. Also, with the Gateway Project, it's not just a stadium renovation...although athletics will certainly be the main benefactor, it's much more than just the stadium.

Thanks for the well reasoned and informative post. I wish you guys well with the renovation!

Bisonoline
November 25th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Considering that our average attendance in 2010 far surpassed the attendance for that game, and considering that average attendance for 2011 and 2012 have been at 100% capacity or just over, YES. Not to mention building a structure like this, in addition to our recent and current success on the national stage will only grow the fanbase and support.

What is your avg attendance?

Red & Black
November 25th, 2012, 10:42 PM
What is your avg attendance?

Last year was around 9k, I think this year is a little less than that based on the UC Davis game being pretty bad weather and not as well attended.

Bisonoline
November 25th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Last year was around 9k, I think this year is a little less than that based on the UC Davis game being pretty bad weather and not as well attended.

With the renovation what would the seating be?

Screamin_Eagle174
November 25th, 2012, 11:36 PM
With the renovation what would the seating be?

Current capacity is 8600, new addition would bring it to somewhere between 16 and 18k.

Hammerhead
November 26th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Are they expecting money from the state legislature to fund a big portion of this project? Times are tough and Olympia can barely keep the state parks running. Maybe they can sell it as a stimulus plan to bolster the construction industry.

kalm
November 26th, 2012, 10:49 AM
My understanding is it's mostly private funding.

howroark
November 26th, 2012, 07:03 PM
At the Board of Trustees presentation the Gateway was described as a way to engage with alumni and Spokane/West Plains businesses in ways that are not possible today. One example of this is the club area and suites. They provide interior and exterior options to watch the game, improve access to high-end food and adult beverages, and create excitement in the donor base. Here are some images from that presentation:

Club Level Loge Boxes

Cabana Suites from Suite Level Club Lounge

Club Area

If EWU can engage the alumni base and create interest in Spokane it is very reasonable to expect a huge jump in attendance. I understand there was also a feasibility consultant hired that helped determine that there was adequate demand within the market.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2012, 01:46 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/nov/30/ewu-gateway-project-schematics-shown/

The project envisions adding several thousand seats at Roos Field, boosting capacity beyond 18,000. Other amenities include athletic facilities, band lockerrooms, offices, and retail space. The latter is expected to generate revenue once the project becomes a reality.

Westfall said the Gateway Project has already drawn interest from several prospective commercial tenants, including two banks, a health-care company, a restaurant and others.

The next phase, Westfall said, is to identify lead donors who will commit to funding the project once the boards approve. Westfall added that he expects to know “within a week” whether a donor will commit to a $5.5 million gift that would allow completion of the design phase.

Most importantly, Westfall said “We have identified a number of individuals that have the potential to fund this entrirely, and we are in the process of sharing with them the vision for this project and go from there.”

MplsBison
November 30th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Damn that looks nice!

Premium seating is where it's at! Hope this becomes a reality at EWU, soon.

Mr. C
November 30th, 2012, 02:37 PM
EWU worst stadium and worst town of a D1 program after (grand forks, brookings) you should be proud, youre #3 on the crappiest list.

You obviously haven't seen some of the stadiums in the CAA and NEC. Northeastern's Parsons Field was probably the worst of the worst (though Boston is always cool). Cowell Stadium is the bottom feeder as far as I am concerned with current stadiums.

Mr. C
November 30th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Current capacity is 8600, new addition would bring it to somewhere between 16 and 18k.

Is there a need for extra seating? Will EWU be able to fill a stadium of that size?

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Is there a need for extra seating? Will EWU be able to fill a stadium of that size?

We've been at 100% capacity this year and last year... excitement and numbers have been building around the football program and the University. There's a drive to increase student enrollment to 16,000+, a new dorm complex is being built on campus, etc etc. If you build it, they will come.

kalm
November 30th, 2012, 02:53 PM

We've averaged over capacity in attendance since the championship and nearing a sellout for tomorrow. When we hosted SEMO in 2010 we drew under 4,000 so demand is definitely improving. Enrollment is also exploding at the university and student attendance at the games has shot through the roof. There are over 30,000 eagle alumni in the Spokane area and it takes time to get their interest and pull them away from WSU. So it's still a bit of an "if you build it they will come" scenario but Montana was a basketball school with similar attendance to ours when WGS was built.